Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E18: Reunion Part 1

• Start Topic

I cackled when Porsha on Don Juan said, "He said something about my man left me, so I said his man left him." Haaa! I agree with Porsha in that Don Juan wanted camera time and she made some very valid points about that scene, but Kandi refuses to listen because she can't separate Porsha from Phaedra in that exchange. Don Juan took all his misdirected anger out on Porsha who said nothing but the equivalent of a "Girl what? That's crazy." She wasn't talking shit about Todd or Kandi even though Kandi says DJ claims more was said.

• Love 11

I think "don't son me" is some slang Kandi picked up from Todd. I knew what she meant, but in DC we say, "carry." Like this morning, my cat straight carried me when I tried to substitute the fancy feast with some cheap meow mix.

I took that "don't son me" thing to mean, don't call me "son" when you speak to me.  In the previews we see Kim's husband tell Matt, "I was talking to Kenya son."  And then Matt says, "And I'm talking to you son".  I think "don't son me" means don't talk down to me.  But then, I've been wrong before.

• Love 7

I took that "don't son me" thing to mean, don't call me "son" when you speak to me.  In the previews we see Kim's husband tell Matt, "I was talking to Kenya son."  And then Matt says, "And I'm talking to you son".  I think "don't son me" means don't talk down to me.  But then, I've been wrong before.

This is pretty accurate.

I'm a man like you're a man so treat me as such.  I never realized street lingo was so complicated.  I've "son'd" my husband in many a conversation. LOL

• Love 4

I think all the women on this show are fun and seem to really like each other.....except Kenya. She doesn't seem to like anyone and is just plain rude.

I may be a little shit for this, but I applauded Porsha dragging Kenya across the floor by her weave. Kenya was being a bitch with her props, and Andy was wrong to let it happen/continue/escalate.....just watching made my blood pressure boil. I have disliked Kenya since her very first season, and lord have mercy, I hope she isn't pregnant. I think Matt is just with her for the television time, and something about him rubs me the wrong way.

I do think it will be fun watching Kandi handle a baby, but Todd and his crooked hat can stay off my screen.

• Love 15

I think all the women on this show are fun and seem to really like each other.....except Kenya. She doesn't seem to like anyone and is just plain rude.

Kenya doesn't like anyone because they won't laud her as the "star" of the show as she thinks she is.  Last season, Kenya had a wing man with Claudia.  Together, their mission was to get Nene off the show and boost Kenya as the star, and in a way, it worked.  But her wing man got fired so now Kenya is left alone to sing her own praises.  She tried to make Cynthia her new wing man, but as soon as Nene came back in the picture, even as a "friend of", Cynthia kicked Kenya to the curb and even told the world they were not bffs.  When Kenya had Tammy's faux nephew forcefully removed from the house, nobody was on her side.  Even her new found friend Sheree was against her.  She doesn't have anyone in her corner this season (besides Matt) and that's the reason she doesn't like anyone on this show.

Edited by swankie
  • Love 11

Yeah, addressing someone as "son" has been part of the DC vernacular for decades.  It is used to lessen the rank of someone, as if noting someone is not on equal terms on some level.  Someone who does not want to be "sonned" wants to respected as an equal.

Son can also been used with no foul intent if indeed an older person is addressing a younger person.

Edited by SpringTulips
  • Love 2

Not for nothing.....but 99% of these comments are about Kenya. Villain or hero, she gets people talking :)

I have read...maybe one comment that wasn't about Kenya. As for Kim Fields, yes, Kim Fields had a very impressive body of work. To me, it seems like a come down to have to do a reality show, from being such a huge star. Perhaps she doesn't see it that way, but thats the way it seems to me.

• Love 8

Is it just me or did Andy throw more shade at Kenya than he usually does at Housewives? Don't get me wrong, I loved it. I'm just wondering why Andy all of a sudden is throwing a little shade himself. I wonder if it's to protect Kim F.? Or if he really doesn't like Kenya? Or if Kenya did something to piss him off?

Has she disparaged gays? That always sends Andy on the warpath.

• Love 3

I think the fact that she tried to use the word Gay as a slur in her efforts to humiliate Kim when it comes to her husband could be at the heart of his apathy towards her...

• Love 12

Matt seems a little squirrelly to me, but, he seems to sincerely like Kenya. I think she couldn't discuss whether she's pregnant or not is because if she says she's not, the attention goes away. No one will be talking about her anymore. Well, at least until she comes up with a new stunt.

• Love 3

Ok, I'm gonna armchair psychoanalyze Kenya here for a moment. Does anyone think that the women she has the greatest problems with, are women who have strong relations with their mamas? Kim, Phaedra, & Porsha were all people she went after originally for no real reason. Could there be a bit of jealousy there?

I mean clearly homegirl is batshit crazy, or at least so damn shameless that she doesn't care about making an absolute, complete and total fool of herself for a check, but when you pick on Kim for no real reason one has to wonder just WTF is up with you.

And about the "son" thing... its popular with the kids. So if you are under 21 (where everyone in or of the hood - male or female- refers to each other as "son") you get it. I hear kids on the subway saying that all the time. For those of us for whom son refers to boys only (and usually one you gave birth to)- well we won't get it. Welcome to being officially old folks!!!

• Love 4

Matt seems a little squirrelly to me, but, he seems to sincerely like Kenya. I think she couldn't discuss whether she's pregnant or not is because if she says she's not, the attention goes away. No one will be talking about her anymore. Well, at least until she comes up with a new stunt.

In my family, women generally don't discuss pregnancy before the first trimester.  Its like a jinx to do otherwise.  Given her age, if she is pregnant, its automatically a high risk pregnancy (I would think) and so I could understand her not wanting to give out much information until she is certain the baby is healthy. 

I wish, for Kenya's sake, that she would take some time off from the show if she is pregnant, although I guess it will be a year until they film again, right?  So, if she is pregnant the baby would come before the next season.  I think 99% of Kenya is an act, but I don't think she could ever forgive herself if stress from the show affected the health of her baby.

Ok, I'm gonna armchair psychoanalyze Kenya here for a moment. Does anyone think that the women she has the greatest problems with, are women who have strong relations with their mamas? Kim, Phaedra, & Porsha were all people she went after originally for no real reason. Could there be a bit of jealousy there?

I mean clearly homegirl is batshit crazy, or at least so damn shameless that she doesn't care about making an absolute, complete and total fool of herself for a check, but when you pick on Kim for no real reason one has to wonder just WTF is up with you.

I guess I've never seen it as Kenya coming after people for no reason.  I feel like all of these women were either complicit in or equally engaged in any conflict.  Her problems with Phaedra stemmed from the workout video (and IIRC Phaedra started calling her a drunk as soon as that went down, the same way suddenly Pheadra wants to talk shit about Todd when a business deal is going south).  Porsha/Kenya started when, right or wrong, Porsha called Kenya by the wrong title (IIRC), which may have, at the time seemed shady (I know Porsha isn't bright, but when you're introducing someone, I think you could do a quick google search and maybe write it on your hand).  Maybe she came for Kim out of nowhere, although Kim is so high and mighty and boring that I might have found her insufferable as well.

• Love 6

And about the "son" thing... its popular with the kids. So if you are under 21 (where everyone in or of the hood - male or female- refers to each other as "son") you get it. I hear kids on the subway saying that all the time. For those of us for whom son refers to boys only (and usually one you gave birth to)- well we won't get it. Welcome to being officially old folks!!!

I think "son" replaced "dawg" as the vernacular-du-jour back in the late 90's/early 2000's.  I remember my late husband had a nephew who grew up in South Central, (no, really!) and when he came to visit the south he was calling everyone son.  We thought he was a nutcase because it didn't even matter what age or gender you were.  You were called son.  LOL!

• Love 2

I am really disappointed that Nene wasn't sitting there when Kenya said that - although, I don't know if Kenya would have said she was THE STAR if Ms. Leakes was sitting there.  OTOH, Nene really couldn't respond to the comment, because she is no longer THE STAR, since she walked away last season.

Nene would have done that big honking laugh and just said "Krayonce there she go" because she's been to anger management on Bravo's dime as well. 

I would bring it up too. Because regardless of Apollo's terrible attempt at being a husband, Kenya still had to preface her first season with a fake man.  So if you're gonna be in my face telling me how I'm not even cute enough to be your 3rd runner up, we WILL discuss how you have to find your men in Craigslist ads.

faint.gif

Wow

I have read...maybe one comment that wasn't about Kenya. As for Kim Fields, yes, Kim Fields had a very impressive body of work. To me, it seems like a come down to have to do a reality show, from being such a huge star. Perhaps she doesn't see it that way, but thats the way it seems to me.

Maybe..but better to do what needs to be done to take care of your family than to desperately declare yourself "the star" of said reality show

• Love 5

Hee! Thank you for the welcome. Now get off my grass and go buy my lotto tickets. You're so right. My little, little cousins say "son" now. Nobody I knew was saying son as a noun or a verb when I was a kid and I'm at least a year younger than Kandi. That was a thing in a different part of the country. We said "Joe" or "young." Then "Moe." And now I guess it's son.

When Kandi wrote No Scrubs, I had no idea what she was talking about. In my peer group, a scrub wasn't a "guy who thinks he's fly...but sits on his broke ass." A scrub was a dude who was trash on the basketball court. But hey, she's the one who made money off outdated slang, so I'll go with her version.

• Love 1

That is one of my most favorite gifs in the world! Every time I need a guaranteed laugh I go find it.  It gets better too.

wig-off-again-o.gif

You're not a nice person.   ROTFLMAO!!  How does Sister Verdeen find a blanket but nobody had any bobby pins?

Not for nothing.....but 99% of these comments are about Kenya. Villain or hero, she gets people talking :)

So.  My only problem with this, aside from its notrueism :)  is that, generally, when somebody is the star, the implication is production would slow or cease to exist without them. {{MissMillievoice}} that's how Nene found out it wasn't her eitha.   I think she gets a lot of attention because when she comes off the rails that's some compelling tv right there, whether she's playing a character or not.  And by now I think they can tell the difference.  In "character" she's kind of tongue in cheek nicety.   When she puts her ass on her shoulders and gets real Trumpish with it, everything is personal and the tweets come zinging out all over the place.  Either you wanna take umbrage on behalf of the ensemble cast or this show would die without you, which is it?  I don't think any one of em, they all take their turn in the spotlight.  I have a feeling if Kenya stomped off, Andy (and the rest of her castmates) would be like:

2gvq16u.gif

sorry lol, I couldn't help myself everybody's .gif game is on fleek today. 

• Love 10

I think her issue with Porsha was the wrong title snafu and that Porsha is/was younger, prettier and married when they met as newbies, each vying to keep their peach.

As for Phaedra, all was fine until Phaedra wasn't so happy with Kenya wanting a bigger paycheck from the first workout video, she was demanding a % of distribution/sales even though that was never discussed at all. As soon as Phaedra said no to that idea, Kenya started saying that Phaedra just didn't want to pay her anything, which, again, was not the truth.  

• Love 4

I just thought of it, the rift between Kandi & Phaedra could've started when Kandi told everyone they needed to apologize to Kenya for spreading the rumor that Apollo & Kenya were hooking up. I can't imagine Phaedra taking that nicely and that Kandi, her good friend, would suggest SHE apologize to Kenya. Just a thought.

I thought Mallorie was the one sitting on stage last night, not Cynthia.

• Love 3

Maybe..but better to do what needs to be done to take care of your family than to desperately declare yourself "the star" of said reality show

If everyone is talking about you, you just might be the star of the show.  

You're not a nice person.   ROTFLMAO!!  How does Sister Verdeen find a blanket but nobody had any bobby pins?

So.  My only problem with this, aside from its notrueism :)  is that, generally, when somebody is the star, the implication is production would slow or cease to exist without them. {{MissMillievoice}} that's how Nene found out it wasn't her eitha.   I think she gets a lot of attention because when she comes off the rails that's some compelling tv right there, whether she's playing a character or not.  And by now I think they can tell the difference.  In "character" she's kind of tongue in cheek nicety.   When she puts her ass on her shoulders and gets real Trumpish with it, everything is personal and the tweets come zinging out all over the place.  Either you wanna take umbrage on behalf of the ensemble cast or this show would die without you, which is it?  I don't think any one of em, they all take their turn in the spotlight.  I have a feeling if Kenya stomped off, Andy (and the rest of her castmates) would be like:

2gvq16u.gif

Sure, just because you're the star doesn't mean that people can't move on without you, or at least thats not what it means to me.   And especially not in the world of reality TV, because there is always someone willing to be anything for that sweet paycheck.  People come on a show now with the intention of being a villain, so there is no reason to think that they couldn't find another reality show villain to take Kenya's place.  Hell, what is the cast of BBW doing right now?  Plenty of villains there!  But, she is the central focus, I think she probably gets the most airtime, she is involved in almost everything.  I think Nene was definitely the star of RHOA, and its why she got so many opportunities outside of the show.  The show made her a household name/image and I personally think she suffers without it.  Were they able to move on from Nene, yes?  I do however, think they would have kept her if she hadn't had outrageous demands.

I'm not sure which part is not true -- from what I see most comments on this board, and any other board are about Kenya.  To me that makes her the star.  :)

I actually think Kenya's "character" is the mean villain, its so mustache twirling and obvious to me.  And it doesn't comport with a lot of other things that she does off the air.  If she was such a villain, I think she would actively take on the twitter followers that "drag" her with personal insults and attacks, I haven't heard of her doing that.  Or she would be like Nene who just refuses to talk to or engage with certain cast members.  If Kenya had this much of a problem with people and was taking everything to heart I think she would refuse to go to certain events or film with certain people, and I've almost never seen that of Kenya.  Its why I was shocked she missed out on that meeting with Cynthia, because its just not like the Kenya I've seen.  The same one that shows up to everything, in spite of the fact that she knows she is probably walking into a lions den.  I also think that if Kenya was truly like this in real life there would be countless stories about it from before her time with RHOA.  As far as I know there aren't stories about her being particularly mean or difficult on set or with anyone.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

You're not a nice person. ROTFLMAO!! How does Sister Verdeen find a blanket but nobody had any bobby pins?

So. My only problem with this, aside from its notrueism :) is that, generally, when somebody is the star, the implication is production would slow or cease to exist without them. {{MissMillievoice}} that's how Nene found out it wasn't her eitha. I think she gets a lot of attention because when she comes off the rails that's some compelling tv right there, whether she's playing a character or not. And by now I think they can tell the difference. In "character" she's kind of tongue in cheek nicety. When she puts her ass on her shoulders and gets real Trumpish with it, everything is personal and the tweets come zinging out all over the place. Either you wanna take umbrage on behalf of the ensemble cast or this show would die without you, which is it? I don't think any one of em, they all take their turn in the spotlight. I have a feeling if Kenya stomped off, Andy (and the rest of her castmates) would be like:

2gvq16u.gif

Try to keep up Z. She sucks as a person, is miserable, nasty, batshit crazy, and has bad skin but dammit, people are talking about her so she's winning! Nanny nanny boo boo. Also, don't forget, this isn't the real Kenya. The real Kenya is a lovely, talented human being. This is all an act. That's right, she destroyed her legacy and goodwill for reality show fame. Aren't you jealous?

• Love 10

If everyone is talking about you, you just might be the star of the show.  

Sure, just because you're the star doesn't mean that people can't move on without you, or at least thats not what it means to me.   And especially not in the world of reality TV, because there is always someone willing to be anything for that sweet paycheck.  People come on a show now with the intention of being a villain, so there is no reason to think that they couldn't find another reality show villain to take Kenya's place.  Hell, what is the cast of BBW doing right now?  Plenty of villains there!  But, she is the central focus, I think she probably gets the most airtime, she is involved in almost everything.  I think Nene was definitely the star of RHOA, and its why she got so many opportunities outside of the show.  The show made her a household name/image and I personally think she suffers without it.  Were they able to move on from Nene, yes?  I do however, think they would have kept her if she hadn't had outrageous demands.

I'm not sure which part is not true -- from what I see most comments on this board, and any other board are about Kenya.  To me that makes her the star.  :)

I actually think Kenya's "character" is the mean villain, its so mustache twirling and obvious to me.  And it doesn't comport with a lot of other things that she does off the air.  If she was such a villain, I think she would actively take on the twitter followers that "drag" her with personal insults and attacks, I haven't heard of her doing that.  Or she would be like Nene who just refuses to talk to or engage with certain cast members.  If Kenya had this much of a problem with people and was taking everything to heart I think she would refuse to go to certain events or film with certain people, and I've almost never seen that of Kenya.  Its why I was shocked she missed out on that meeting with Cynthia, because its just not like the Kenya I've seen.  The same one that shows up to everything, in spite of the fact that she knows she is probably walking into a lions den.  I also think that if Kenya was truly like this in real life there would be countless stories about it from before her time with RHOA.  As far as I know there aren't stories about her being particularly mean or difficult on set or with anyone.  

I don't know how the Atlanta HWs are paid but more and more of the HWs on other shows are paid by how often they are filmed, so they are more inclined to show for events, trips and gatherings/parties that they would normally blow off to get that larger paycheck. NY was the first show to go this direction but not all of the NY HWs have that style of contract, Bethenny is one that doesn't. So, it is possible that Kenya has this style of contract and she attends as much as she does for the larger paycheck and nothing more.

• Love 1

The thought that Kenya thinks she is the star of this show, makes me laugh. She is so delusional that it's almost sad.

How can she not be discussed......she never shuts up, she interrupts every conversation, and believes she is just so funny. Her swallowing comment to Andy was disgusting. She's a train wreck!

• Love 6

If everyone is talking to you, you just might be the star of the show.  

This may just be semantics.  For me, star has a good connotation.   When a heckler won't leave the President alone all the attention goes to them because they have and continued to interrupt the star, ain't nobody there to hear their mess but they realize this is the platform on which to have it heard.  The person who is the focus of the attention is not necessarily the focus of the show.  People are responding to them because, someone upthread made the correlation to children, like that, it only gets worse if you don't.  Then you have to stop the tantrum, which is why we may not like Kim, but we need her.

BBW.  If I have to guess I'd say they're gearing up for their next season.  Ok I just realized I might be explaining unnecessarily.  Did you mean that's a show with no shortage of villains with which to replace Kenya?  Because, absolutely but they don't a villain per se, they're petty and shallow and squabblish on their own to do it without her.  Sheeiiiii, Sheree damb near had a man jump on her for implying that his party planning skills were whack.  Marlo vs. Nene?  Gold.   I'm speaking for me here, Kenya is not the star but I'm one who believes there isn't a standout star here.  I think the reason people spend the whole time dealing with Kenya is:  heckler methods - that's what you do with a problem.

• Love 7

Kenya's going to stay losing.   Thank you for the memory jog.   When Kenya started to explain that she knew she'd gone too far so she apologized to Kim for the chair pull.  Porsha butt in with see when I apologized it wasn't accepted.  Does anybody remember that scene the way I do?  When Nene nem got together and Kenya went over to where Porsha was sitting and apologized for her part in the drag and whatever Porsha said to her, we were kinda stuck? because it was a nonpology.   She never actually told her she was sorry if memory serves?  Committee? Help please?   Anyway I say all that to say that Kenya's a nasty piece of business if nobody can summon up some sympathy for her even when she's in the right. 

Porsha never apologized.  To date, she has purposely avoided apologizing.  I think she was the wrong person to bring up any issues about Kenya instigating anything considering her track record to date.  Look, folks instigate shit all of the time.  However, you should not confront them with violence.  If Kenya said anything to cause anyone to swing on her, then that other person is out of control.  Lawyers?  Does the law allow words to be a defense for assault?  Are words a defense against someone suing you for assault and causing damage to someone's person or property?

That is the stupidest, weakest retort. No wait, that childish "oatmeal pie face" was just playground. Is this really the level of discourse, "snapping" (for you ol' skools!) on someone's skin?

I guess she underestimated that Phaedra would drag that old tired insult out again, with her amen corner Porsha snickering. That comeback should have had some heat: "If my options are a two-time felon and a man who divorces me via Twitter, I'll stay single, thank you." Kenya should have been doing 2 a day read workouts with Brandon and Miss Lawrence, get her game up for this reunion. It's always the same shit being flung, she should have been able to bob-and-weave those with ease.

Why is it Kenya is always supposedly so jealous of the holy trinity (marriage, huzzzzbin, kids) when it comes to Phaedra and Kim, but not when it comes to Cynthia and Kandi? I swear that irks me. It's like, you can't just detest the person anymore, you have to be jellus of them.

Kim Fields. Sigh. Trying so hard, and why, if this isn't your clique and your speed? Why not just fall back and pull what's left of your reputation and goodwill out of the ashes, and move on? Collect your check on the way out? Letting us all see your peachie flopsweat, no bueno mama.

Most everyone looked good, I must say. But I'm not a fan of the prom dresses either, it's too much.

Andy. In the words of Nene, stop being a bitch. He's so proud of himself for leading the pile up on Kenya he had to pre-fauxshame "I think I was a little bit shady to Kenya." Boy, bye. I didn't see you getting krunk with Mike on the Shahs when he texted through the whole thing, you barely worked up a scold. So happy to be in with the IG popular kids, 'eh Andy? "I earned my peach today!" 

He also annoyed by letting Porsha (PORSHA!!) of all people lecture about aggressive behavior. He jumped in quick to assist in a layup to Kim with that '90s comment, where was the same rejoinder to Porsha?  A threat to Phaedra does not equal three beatdowns on other women, Porsha, plus bucking up on a cop. Sit your extra warrant-having ass down. Again, Kenya missed her mark: "You had to go back four years for that threat, I don't have to go back further than four weeks for your last violent encounter."

Can't stand a gang up, especially led by the host. Work your issues out on your own time, Andy.

I don't like a gang up either.  Kenya is not doing herself any favors here at all.  I hope that check covers the shit storm she is getting hit with.

I think this was the point Kenya was making when she was comparing herself to Kim.  If you believe that Kenya is the star of RHOA, then Kim has come to Kenya's level, a level below soap opera star (soap opera was the lowest level on the actor role chain).  I may not have heard this exchange accurately because I just could not believe the idiocy that was coming out of Kenya's mouth.  Dammit.  I had to hear I told you so from my mother....

All of the women looked good..  I liked Cynthia's and Phaedra's dresses the best.  I loved Sheree's entire look.  Kim's hair look nice for once; I liked Kenya's hair.  I like the shorter hair on Porsha - actually the pixie look is my favorite hairstyle of hers.  Kandi looked great, but I could see the lines of her undergarments when she stood up to show her figure. 

RCCharter, I think Kenya is playing the role of villain too, but it went badly this time around.  Controversy does drive viewers to the show, but if Kenya is made to be completely unlikeable and fans like me are rolling their eyes at her, then I don't know how they go forward with this direction.  How does she have somewhat of a believable relationship with the other women when she is hanging over the cliff, dangling from the edge?

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 3

Try to keep up Z. She sucks as a person, is miserable, nasty, batshit crazy, and has bad skin but dammit, people are talking about her so she's winning! Nanny nanny boo boo. Also, don't forget, this isn't the real Kenya. The real Kenya is a lovely, talented human being. This is all an act. That's right, she destroyed her legacy and goodwill for reality show fame. Aren't you jealous?

Well shit, since you put it like that.  Bitterly.

• Love 5

I don't know how the Atlanta HWs are paid but more and more of the HWs on other shows are paid by how often they are filmed, so they are more inclined to show for events, trips and gatherings/parties that they would normally blow off to get that larger paycheck. NY was the first show to go this direction but not all of the NY HWs have that style of contract, Bethenny is one that doesn't. So, it is possible that Kenya has this style of contract and she attends as much as she does for the larger paycheck and nothing more.

Its possible, but does anyone have any proof of this?  If not, I'm inclined to believe that Kenya is paid in the traditional manner.  ATL is a different show and Kenya has been there longer so I would think she would negotiate based on her original contract which likely did not call for her to be filmed per event/function.

• Love 1

This may just be semantics.  For me, star has a good connotation.   When a heckler won't leave the President alone all the attention goes to them because they have and continued to interrupt the star, ain't nobody there to hear their mess but they realize this is the platform on which to have it heard.  The person who is the focus of the attention is not necessarily the focus of the show.  People are responding to them because, someone upthread made the correlation to children, like that, it only gets worse if you don't.  Then you have to stop the tantrum, which is why we may not like Kim, but we need her.

BBW.  If I have to guess I'd say they're gearing up for their next season.  Ok I just realized I might be explaining unnecessarily.  Did you mean that's a show with no shortage of villains with which to replace Kenya?  Because, absolutely but they don't a villain per se, they're petty and shallow and squabblish on their own to do it without her.  Sheeiiiii, Sheree damb near had a man jump on her for implying that his party planning skills were whack.  Marlo vs. Nene?  Gold.   I'm speaking for me here, Kenya is not the star but I'm one who believes there isn't a standout star here.  I think the reason people spend the whole time dealing with Kenya is:  heckler methods - that's what you do with a problem.

How funny, because Trump has been the star of the Republican party and the establishment hates him, as do a lot of people.  But he is still the star, so I don't think it requires a positive connotation to be the star of a show.  Abby Lee Miller is the star of Dance Moms and she is downright awful.  And I think if you get the attention you do get to be the star of the show.  Or its a chicken and egg thing and if you get attention on the show, people are more likely to talk about you.  As I said, Cruella De Ville was the star of 101 dalmations and she wanted to kill sweet dogs so she could make a coat.  Down the line there are villains that have been more interesting or more of the star than the protagonist of the show.

I think Kenya is the star, and YMMV.  But I don't think there are any shortage of people who want to get into reality TV that wouldn't have a problem playing a villain.  I think Kenya is a good mix, because I think she does most of her villainy with a wink and a nod and I don't think its all that serious.  When Nene was standing over Kim in that tour bus....that was serious, but Kenya is someone whose villainy I can mostly laugh or smile at, because I don't think its serious.

• Love 2

I feel a little (only a little) sorry for Kenya. I think she's intelligent and well spoken, yet has insecurities and issues like we all do, like the fact that she's never been married and has no children, and I think the issues with her mother have had an effect on her. I think when she started this show she was hired to fill the role of the villain - going after Apollo, etc and she was acting in that role. However, she had no one on her side and a lot of fans hated her, and then people began flinging her issues at her. I don't think she was strong enough to handle it, when you're playing the villain, your back has to be very broad. She let the things being said get to her. She can't back down from the character she's built for herself and because of that and the insecurities have been thrown in her face, she retaliates in bitter and petty ways.

I don't think we have the real Porsha either. I think she's in that phase that a lot of us go through where we come out of a long relationship and wild out. It's working for her right now so she may stay there a lot longer than the rest of us (well at least me) where we can't sustain it or make a couple bad choices and get out sense back. I think she and Phaedra are bonding right now because that's where Phaedra is right now and Porsha is giving her the right energy to let loose.

That's just my little Psych 101

• Love 2

Actually, she is winning, people hate the Kardashians, but I would say that the fact that they have enough money and recognition to start a line at Sears, have their own makeup line, make the cover of Vogue and have the money to afford to live the way they want makes them winners.   And I do not like the Kardashians at all, but I know that if reality TV is a game, they are winning it.

But, I would be open to any and all stories of Kenya's poor behavior from before RHOA, because surely she didn't just become this terrible monster overnight, right?  Seriously, I'm interested in the many, many, many stories that there must be out there about Kenya just being awful to work with from before she started working on RHOA.  I'm wondering which of the people she has worked with on her movie hate her.  I suppose there is Vivica Fox, but her "stolen phone" story has pretty much been debunked as some mythical attempt to get attention for CA.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Its possible, but does anyone have any proof of this?  If not, I'm inclined to believe that Kenya is paid in the traditional manner.  ATL is a different show and Kenya has been there longer so I would think she would negotiate based on her original contract which likely did not call for her to be filmed per event/function.

No, there have been no views of any HW contract ever that I have seen. They have shown copies of contracts for the kids of HW and for the FoFOH contracts but never an actual HW contract. The closest anyone came, HW that is, in revealing HW contracts was Brandi and Bravo assigned a "keeper/controller" for her whenever she gave an interview. That said, it has been blogged about by a number of sites so I suspect there is some truth to it. As I said, I don't know if any of the Atl. HWs have this style of contract or not but if not, they will sooner or later because it gives Bravo greater control over the HWs picking/choosing when they want to be filmed.  This contract style began because of Aviva (NY) not showing up for a lot of events/parties and very few trips and in the end, it is also what got her fired, she refused to go on the required Girls only trip to Montana as well as the girls weekend trip to the Berkshires.  Oh, and Aviva either predated Kenya or they started the same year as HWs. They may have different production Companies but Bravo still controls their contracts.

RCCharter, I think Kenya is playing the role of villain too, but it went badly this time around.  Controversy does drive viewers to the show, but if Kenya is made to be completely unlikeable and fans like me are rolling their eyes at her, then I don't know how they go forward with this direction.  How does she have somewhat of a believable relationship with the other women when she is hanging over the cliff, dangling from the edge?

I think so much happens between part 1 of the reunion and the start of filming the next season.  If Kenya is really pregnant, I think she will garner more sympathy and support.  Of course there will be her die hard detractors that will hope she miscarries, or that the baby has an extra foot or something along those lines, but I think that a lot of people can accept that a baby changes people and so she could "turn over a new leaf" next season if thats the case.  I hope not, because I think that would make her boring, but she could do that.  I'm also wondering if, at some point during this reunion, they aren't going to bring her mother on.  I think that is one area where people did sympathize with Kenya and that will be the focus.  

I often roll my eyes at Kenya, but I'm okay with that.  I think it was the start of last season when she kept pulling out these bogus tears about the other women....that was pretty bad and it made me roll my eyes.  I still find her entertaining.

No, there have been no views of any HW contract ever that I have seen. They have shown copies of contracts for the kids of HW and for the FoFOH contracts but never an actual HW contract. The closest anyone came, HW that is, in revealing HW contracts was Brandi and Bravo assigned a "keeper/controller" for her whenever she gave an interview. That said, it has been blogged about by a number of sites so I suspect there is some truth to it. As I said, I don't know if any of the Atl. HWs have this style of contract or not but if not, they will sooner or later because it gives Bravo greater control over the HWs picking/choosing when they want to be filmed.  This contract style began because of Aviva (NY) not showing up for a lot of events/parties and very few trips and in the end, it is also what got her fired, she refused to go on the required Girls only trip to Montana as well as the girls weekend trip to the Berkshires.  Oh, and Aviva either predated Kenya or they started the same year as HWs. They may have different production Companies but Bravo still controls their contracts.

My question would be whether Aviva's new contract, or failure to show up to thiings predated Kenya?  It may be something that Bravo/production company uses when they are renegotiating with someone who doesn't show up to things.  I could see it being part of Nene's new contract/fee structure because before she left she routinely wasn't showing up to things and then it sounds like she was asking for more money in the contract negotiation.  They may have figured it would be better for them to pay her by appearance.  Although, I think the same thing could be achieved by simply writing in the contract that you have to show up to particular events or be in breach of contract.  But, its probably tidier to pay an per event appearance fee for someone like Nene.

• Love 1

Kim: Andy?

Andy: crickets....crickets...

Me: LOL!

I chuckled when Kim expected Andy to DO HIS JOB and moderate the conversation during the reunion. Poor, naive Kim. Obviously she's never seen any of the 10 million reunions.
  • Love 11

Actually, she is winning, people hate the Kardashians, but I would say that the fact that they have enough money and recognition to start a line at Sears, have their own makeup line, make the cover of Vogue and have the money to afford to live the way they want makes them winners. And I do not like the Kardashians at all, but I know that if reality TV is a game, they are winning it.

But, I would be open to any and all stories of Kenya's poor behavior from before RHOA, because surely she didn't just become this terrible monster overnight, right? Seriously, I'm interested in the many, many, many stories that there must be out there about Kenya just being awful to work with from before she started working on RHOA. I'm wondering which of the people she has worked with on her movie hate her. I suppose there is Vivica Fox, but her "stolen phone" story has pretty much been debunked as some mythical attempt to get attention for CA.

The Kardashian's basically started fom zero. Kim was Paris Hilton's personal assistant. So yes, they absolutely are winning now.

Kenya? Kenya was Miss USA and as far as us 90s folks knew, a beautiful, nice woman with a fairly impressive catalogue of appearances in black shows, music videos, and movies where she played the gorgeous brown object of desire (which meant a lot to black girls). Yall think she came on this show and ruined her brand and legacy all to "pretend" she's a horrible person for reality show fame? That will never be a win to me, sorry.

Assuming she's pretending (which I don't believe), she didn't HAVE to do it. Cynthia and Kandi managed to last multiple seasons and parlay their exposure into outside opportunities WITHOUT losing fans and acting like assholes. Without threatening people or pathetically hiring a man to date them who then refuses to claim them, making them look desperate. Without appearing to go after a married man. Without attacking the career and reputation of someone with a much better resume and thereby appearing delusional. If she IS pretending, she's dumb AF.

I think she really is just nasty and miserable, and if so, she simply showed the world who she really is. Still a bad move.

So no, nobody will ever convince me that being talked about negatively by people, many of whom used to adore you, is winning. Not when you basically started on third base.

• Love 20

How funny, because Trump has been the star of the Republican party and the establishment hates him, as do a lot of people.  But he is still the star, so I don't think it requires a positive connotation to be the star of a show.  Abby Lee Miller is the star of Dance Moms and she is downright awful.  And I think if you get the attention you do get to be the star of the show.  Or its a chicken and egg thing and if you get attention on the show, people are more likely to talk about you.  As I said, Cruella De Ville was the star of 101 dalmations and she wanted to kill sweet dogs so she could make a coat.  Down the line there are villains that have been more interesting or more of the star than the protagonist of the show.

I think Kenya is the star, and YMMV.  But I don't think there are any shortage of people who want to get into reality TV that wouldn't have a problem playing a villain.  I think Kenya is a good mix, because I think she does most of her villainy with a wink and a nod and I don't think its all that serious.  When Nene was standing over Kim in that tour bus....that was serious, but Kenya is someone whose villainy I can mostly laugh or smile at, because I don't think its serious.

Well I did say good connotation was what it meant to me.  In that respect, I suppose it's a relative term.  And I think it is semantic because we're effectively talking about the difference between stardom and notoriety.  I wouldn't describe Trump or Abby or Cruella lol as stars.  Famous, sure, but not for good reasons (see: 'damo's connotation).  In that way, we agree, Kenya is famous but in a Son of Sam or Lunatic for President kinda way.

Girl you got me googling the hell outta this ancient ass laptop for salary info.  I can't find anything current but google rhoa salaries , youll see that the structure has remained consistent over the last few years.   It was (at the time):  Nene at 750K, Kandi at 450K, Cynthia, Phaedra and Kenya at 300K, Porsha 150K.  Sheree reportedly got 250 to come back this season.  Don't know how much Kim and Nene made.  There was a housewife with an ad hoc salary, that was Marlo at 75K per appearance.

• Love 2

My question would be whether Aviva's new contract, or failure to show up to thiings predated Kenya?  It may be something that Bravo/production company uses when they are renegotiating with someone who doesn't show up to things.  I could see it being part of Nene's new contract/fee structure because before she left she routinely wasn't showing up to things and then it sounds like she was asking for more money in the contract negotiation.  They may have figured it would be better for them to pay her by appearance.  Although, I think the same thing could be achieved by simply writing in the contract that you have to show up to particular events or be in breach of contract.  But, its probably tidier to pay an per event appearance fee for someone like Nene.

Aviva's contract was changed her second season. Ramona, Luann and Sonja are also reported to have the same type of contract, which happened the season they came back after Jill was fired (the show was off air for about 18 months). It was also reported that it can make a HW a larger paycheck than a standard contract if they show up to film all the time. LOL

• Love 1

The Kardashian's basically started fom zero. Kim was Paris Hilton's personal assistant. So yes, they absolutely are winning now.

Kenya? Kenya was Miss USA and as far as us 90s folks knew, a beautiful, nice woman with a fairly impressive catalogue of appearances in black shows, music videos, and movies where she played the gorgeous brown object of desire (which meant a lot to black girls). Yall think she came on this show and ruined her brand and legacy all to "pretend" she's a horrible person for reality show fame? That will never be a win to me, sorry.

Assuming she's pretending (which I don't believe), she didn't HAVE to do it. Cynthia and Kandi managed to last multiple seasons and parlay their exposure into outside opportunities WITHOUT losing fans and acting like assholes. Without threatening people or pathetically hiring a man to date them who then refuses to claim them, making them look desperate. Without appearing to go after a married man. Without attacking the career and reputation of someone with a much better resume and thereby appearing delusional. If she IS pretending, she's dumb AF.

I think she really is just nasty and miserable, and if so, she simply showed the world who she really is. Still a bad move.

So no, nobody will ever convince me that being talked about negatively by people, many of whom used to adore you, is winning. Not when you basically started on third base.

Um, Kim Kardashian's father was a well known and respected Hollywood attorney.  They were friends with the likes of the Simpsons.  So, I would say, if anything Kim was much more deeply embedded in the entertainment industry than Kenya was.

Kenya did win Miss USA in the 90's and for the nearly 20 years since than hadn't done very much to make her a big figure in the public eye (although I maintain that straight to video movies were a big moneymaker in the era before Netflix), so to say she started from third base doesn't make much sense to me.  I think she maybe got to second base, and than the inning was over or the game got rained out.  Did Kenya ever really have a "legacy?" in the traditional sense?  I don't think so, she certainly had her groundbreaking moment, which she can take through history.  

As for Kandi and Cynthia, I think your point doesn't make much sense.  How much work is Cynthia doing outside of RHOA?  She has an eyewear line, and maybe a line of dolls, and the modelling school/pageants.  Most people seem to think she is boring, which is why I think she has recently tried to stand up for herself (starting with Phaedra last year).  And Kandi's opportunities seem to stem from her ability to invest in her businesses.  Bedroom Kandi had to have required a heavy initial start up fee, and Kandi Koated Nights is something that she did on her own.  She has had multiple spin offs, but none of them have ever been bandied about as a show, rather as far as I know there has been a ski trip and a wedding special.  I don't see any other interest in her as a personality at all.

You say you believe that she is this terrible person for real, but if so, where are the stories of her terrible behavior from before RHOA?  Where are the stories of how awful she was on the pageant circuit?  Stories of what a bitch she was when was attending college at Wayne State?  

But then again, I don't believe many people adored Kenya before she started this show, and if you did adore her than you should be more than open to her being a villain as an act.  Or you should have had all the inside scoop about what a terrible human being she was on the pageant circuit and have some of those stories to share.

• Love 1

I think her issue with Porsha was the wrong title snafu and that Porsha is/was younger, prettier and married when they met as newbies, each vying to keep their peach.

I never understood why she didn't make Porsha an ally. They were both new. Porsha trying to hook Kenya up with Kordell's buddies would have been a great storyline for them both, but Kenya is so caught up in her persona as "Miss USA" she loses before she can get out the gate. A gracious beauty queen would have said "that's okay girl it was the 90s" and just made a self-effacing joke out of Porsha's title mix up. Porsha could have been a perfect dim, beautiful wingman who humanized Kenya as well-meaning, but awkward due to her lack of a primary female role model.  

Kenya should learn from Lisa Vanderpump and Gina Luciano two villains who kept their audience support and their HBIC status while throwing shade left and right--they gotta love you in order to forgive you.

Edited by ThomasAAnderson
  • Love 7

Girl you got me googling the hell outta this ancient ass laptop for salary info.  I can't find anything current but google rhoa salaries , youll see that the structure has remained consistent over the last few years.   It was (at the time):  Nene at 750K, Kandi at 450K, Cynthia, Phaedra and Kenya at 300K, Porsha 150K.  Sheree reportedly got 250 to come back this season.  Don't know how much Kim and Nene made.  There was a housewife with an ad hoc salary, that was Marlo at 75K per appearance.

Aviva's contract was changed her second season. Ramona, Luann and Sonja are also reported to have the same type of contract, which happened the season they came back after Jill was fired (the show was off air for about 18 months). It was also reported that it can make a HW a larger paycheck than a standard contract if they show up to film all the time. LOL

Just sounds to me like there is a lot of inconsistent salary data out there in the world.  And I have trouble with "reports of" unless I know the source is legit (some blogs I'm sure are very legit and some aren't).  But even the sheer number of blogs doesn't really say much to me, because I think thats like a dog chasing its tail.  One blogger sees a report on another blog who sees it on another blog and pretty soon it gets the ring of truth.  It does make sense, but it might also make sense to apply those contracts to particular cast members who have trouble showing up, and not for every cast member.  I would say Nene would be a good example.  In Season 7, she pretty much didn't show up to things and I'm sure someone was salty that they were paying her 750K to not show up to things.  Its possible that Bravo wanted to put her under a per show fee contract and she didn't want that, she just wanted a million dollars and to show up whenever she felt like it.

The funny thing about fame/public image is I think it can change on a dime, but you have to be in the public eye so that anyone even cares.  A few years ago, Miley Cyrus was Hanna Montana and had the clean cut image....now she is that girl who refuses to wear clothing.  Britney Spears was seen as truly certifiable a few years back and now she is just seen as a mom of two boys.  Lindsay Lohan tries, but I think she likes cocaine too much.  

• Love 1

Um, Kim Kardashian's father was a well known and respected Hollywood attorney. They were friends with the likes of the Simpsons. So, I would say, if anything Kim was much more deeply embedded in the entertainment industry than Kenya was.

Kenya did win Miss USA in the 90's and for the nearly 20 years since than hadn't done very much to make her a big figure in the public eye (although I maintain that straight to video movies were a big moneymaker in the era before Netflix), so to say she started from third base doesn't make much sense to me. I think she maybe got to second base, and than the inning was over or the game got rained out. Did Kenya ever really have a "legacy?" in the traditional sense? I don't think so, she certainly had her groundbreaking moment, which she can take through history.

As for Kandi and Cynthia, I think your point doesn't make much sense. How much work is Cynthia doing outside of RHOA? She has an eyewear line, and maybe a line of dolls, and the modelling school/pageants. Most people seem to think she is boring, which is why I think she has recently tried to stand up for herself (starting with Phaedra last year). And Kandi's opportunities seem to stem from her ability to invest in her businesses. Bedroom Kandi had to have required a heavy initial start up fee, and Kandi Koated Nights is something that she did on her own. She has had multiple spin offs, but none of them have ever been bandied about as a show, rather as far as I know there has been a ski trip and a wedding special. I don't see any other interest in her as a personality at all.

You say you believe that she is this terrible person for real, but if so, where are the stories of her terrible behavior from before RHOA? Where are the stories of how awful she was on the pageant circuit? Stories of what a bitch she was when was attending college at Wayne State?

But then again, I don't believe many people adored Kenya before she started this show, and if you did adore her than you should be more than open to her being a villain as an act. Or you should have had all the inside scoop about what a terrible human being she was on the pageant circuit and have some of those stories to share.

If you think Kim started above Kenya because of OJ then I don't know what else I can say that wouldn't sound bad. Erm...is it a cultural disconnect? Age? I came of age in the 90s in the black community and I can assure you that Kim Kardashian was a complete nobody to most of us before she got caught on tape screwing Brandy's brother. Kenya Moore, on the other hand, was a black Barbie doll and very well known to people in my age group/demographic.

As for the rest, Kenya has shown me who she is and I believe her. You don't believe her, so we can agree to disagree.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 13

Just sounds to me like there is a lot of inconsistent salary data out there in the world.  And I have trouble with "reports of" unless I know the source is legit (some blogs I'm sure are very legit and some aren't).  But even the sheer number of blogs doesn't really say much to me, because I think thats like a dog chasing its tail.  One blogger sees a report on another blog who sees it on another blog and pretty soon it gets the ring of truth.  It does make sense, but it might also make sense to apply those contracts to particular cast members who have trouble showing up, and not for every cast member.  I would say Nene would be a good example.  In Season 7, she pretty much didn't show up to things and I'm sure someone was salty that they were paying her 750K to not show up to things.  Its possible that Bravo wanted to put her under a per show fee contract and she didn't want that, she just wanted a million dollars and to show up whenever she felt like it.

The funny thing about fame/public image is I think it can change on a dime, but you have to be in the public eye so that anyone even cares.  A few years ago, Miley Cyrus was Hanna Montana and had the clean cut image....now she is that girl who refuses to wear clothing.  Britney Spears was seen as truly certifiable a few years back and now she is just seen as a mom of two boys.  Lindsay Lohan tries, but I think she likes cocaine too much.  

Here is one of the sites that has spoken about the HWs getting paid per episode they appear in. She is a blogger that has some reportedly deep contacts/sources on the Atlanta show.    http://tamaratattles.com/2015/07/03/its-time-to-review-how-bravo-contracts-work/

Kenya---head looks down at the floor.  I couldn't defend a word of that mess.  I thought so much better of her before.  Insert Lincoln quote here.

I love Kandi.  Kandi is boring, but she is the only person on that stage that I think speaks the closest version of the truth.  I believe her side eyes and facial expressions as well.

I love Kandi too but Don Juan grates.  Just last season he hated Todd, now he's jumping in women's conversations for him?  Anything for screen time.

• Love 7

Hee! Thank you for the welcome. Now get off my grass and go buy my lotto tickets. You're so right. My little, little cousins say "son" now. Nobody I knew was saying son as a noun or a verb when I was a kid and I'm at least a year younger than Kandi. That was a thing in a different part of the country. We said "Joe" or "young." Then "Moe." And now I guess it's son.

When Kandi wrote No Scrubs, I had no idea what she was talking about. In my peer group, a scrub wasn't a "guy who thinks he's fly...but sits on his broke ass." A scrub was a dude who was trash on the basketball court. But hey, she's the one who made money off outdated slang, so I'll go with her version.

It's equal parts Moe and Son with the teenage DC crowd.  

Given that most of the women on this show have disparaged gay men in one way or another for years now, he's a hypocrite if he gets on his high horse about Kenya. But Andy's a vile hypocrite 90% of the time anyway.

• Love 5

Speaking from first hand experience if a boss asks "do you think you're a fit?" It means you're about to be fired.

Same thing in a relationship if they ask if you think you're a match or working out.

I didn't like when Nene called herself the star of the show and don't like it when people do that in ensemble pieces. However, Kenya did bring the most - what else did the others provide? Cynthia boring shit with Peter, Kandi was barely on and boring, Porsha fake boring fight with her assisterant and twerking, Kim was very very boring and cried a lot.

Pheadra please don't be braggadocious about that man who ain't at home and in prison. Half the time you're using him as an excuse for people to feel sorry for you or get out of paying bills but when it comes to Kenya now he's some fucking accomplishment you snagged. Bye.

• Love 6

Pheadra please don't be braggadocious about that man who ain't at home and in prison. Half the time you're using him as an excuse for people to feel sorry for you or get out of paying bills but when it comes to Kenya now he's some fucking accomplishment you snagged. Bye.

I agree with another poster that Phaedra uses the "husbin and kids" dig against Kenya not so much to be bragging, but because she knows it gets under Kenya's skin.  It's like Kenya's achilles heel.  Phaedra knows that she will get a rise out of Kenya if she brings it up.  Another one is her bad skin which Phaedra used and also her mother, which, so far, nobody has been mad enough to use against her.  (If only I was on that panel!)

• Love 7