Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Booney said:

For the garden fans here, Mr. Booney and I visited the Elizabethan Gardens today on Roanoke Island in NC. It's small, but lovely. Mostly shade plants - lots of hostas, hydrangeas, and ferns. They also have a brick-walled rose garden and my favorite spot, a sunken garden with statues of Roman gods - pic below of the centerpiece statue -

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.cec485478ae1f616ce271dde473adc27.jpg

That's so beautiful and serene!  I always wished I could have a formal, neat-looking garden, but mine always turns out to be the cottage garden type, with different plants flouncing all over everywhere, and shrubs pruned at different heights.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Booney said:

For the garden fans here, Mr. Booney and I visited the Elizabethan Gardens today on Roanoke Island in NC. It's small, but lovely. Mostly shade plants - lots of hostas, hydrangeas, and ferns. They also have a brick-walled rose garden and my favorite spot, a sunken garden with statues of Roman gods - pic below of the centerpiece statue -

This is so BEAUTIFUL! 

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 several days ago. If you've seen the 1st movie, I highly recommend this sequel. I liked it so much I'm going to see it again while it's at the theater. The opening credits gets you right into the movie with a clever must-see sequence with little groot. 

I'm not going to give any details in case you might see the movie. I will say that the characters come together more as a family in this film and even add to their group. The characters progress and it's safe to say they've got more movies in their future. It's like the misfit avengers. 

Switching movies to Pirates of the Caribbean... on the news earlier they said that Paul McCartney plays one of the minor part pirates in the film. They showed a photo of him made up, but I didn't recognize him. I loved the 1st and 2nd movies. The 3rd had a few good moments but I don't want to see it again. I own the 4th movie but it's just so-so. I want to see this 5th one since it's the last, but I hope it will be good. I don't want them killing off characters just because it's the last, if you know what I mean. 

I saw Logan earlier this year and wish I hadn't. I'm a fan of most of the X-Men movies even though I think the writers made egregious errors with their hatchet job destroying characters and canon story line. Wolverine was my favorite character, but this last movie I want to forget. Awful from the beginning to the end. If you saw it, you know what I mean. I dragged a friend to it and now owe her a movie. 

(edited)

I got the pneumonia shot two weeks ago and STILL have a bump there, although it's nowhere near as big, hot, or itchy as it was.  Gotta check with my insurance about the shingles vaccine.

Edited by seahag
8 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 several days ago. If you've seen the 1st movie, I highly recommend this sequel. I liked it so much I'm going to see it again while it's at the theater. The opening credits gets you right into the movie with a clever must-see sequence with little groot. 

I'm not going to give any details in case you might see the movie. I will say that the characters come together more as a family in this film and even add to their group. The characters progress and it's safe to say they've got more movies in their future. It's like the misfit avengers. 

Switching movies to Pirates of the Caribbean... on the news earlier they said that Paul McCartney plays one of the minor part pirates in the film. They showed a photo of him made up, but I didn't recognize him. I loved the 1st and 2nd movies. The 3rd had a few good moments but I don't want to see it again. I own the 4th movie but it's just so-so. I want to see this 5th one since it's the last, but I hope it will be good. I don't want them killing off characters just because it's the last, if you know what I mean. 

I saw Logan earlier this year and wish I hadn't. I'm a fan of most of the X-Men movies even though I think the writers made egregious errors with their hatchet job destroying characters and canon story line. Wolverine was my favorite character, but this last movie I want to forget. Awful from the beginning to the end. If you saw it, you know what I mean. I dragged a friend to it and now owe her a movie. 

I definitely want to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I saw the first one 3 times - loved it!

I am so glad we have this forum, I feel that you all our my friends.  I don't mean to sound pathetic, but since I moved here five years ago, I've not been able to make any non-internet friends, so I'm asking you all for some of your sage advice.

I have had a bit of an "upset" last Friday.  As some of you may know, I started working at a vet's practice on March 8th as a customer service rep (receptionist).  There are all sorts of procedures to learn, paperwork to complete, filing, scheduling appointments, taking phone calls, at times it can be very stressful.  I spent most of my career working in the "human side of healthcare", first in an orthopaedic practice and then as a buyer for Home Health care supplies and equipment.  I'm surprised how different a vet practice is.  There's a lot of stuff for my older MS brain to absorb (this was why I had to go on disability from my hospital job).  Add to the fact that I'm the oldest person there, the rest of the staff are in their 20's - 30's.  Initially my manager told me I was doing a good job (I was on a 60 day probation period).

However, at my 60 day review last Friday she told me that she didn't think I was catching on as "fast" as they needed, they gave me a couple of tips, (don't be so timid to assist, write up any procedure that confuses me, and I need to be more accurate/confident when counting the cash drawer at close).   I'm the first to admit that counting change/money is difficult for me (MS messes with counting ability and concentration and I have a bit of difficulty remembering client names/faces and some of the office procedures). 

I'm scheduled to work 1 to 7 pm the rest of the week, right now I'm feeling so anxious about going back there, its making me nauseous and I'm also very emotional (again another MS thing that tends to flare when I'm under stress).  I need the $$ that the job pays ($8.50/hr) and I need something to supplement my on SSDI, but can't earn more than $1040/mo.    I'm fairly certain that I'm going to be let go/fired at the end of the month - its too convenient and the end of the pay period.

I would appreciate any input from you ladies on how I can solider through the next to weeks.  I feel like bursting out in tears right now and haven't been able to eat for a couple of days now (not such a bad thing!)

Thanks in advance.

TYVM Pearlclutcher - I brought my calculator last night to help me out, its all of those damn nickles, dimes, quarters that they insist on keeping in the drawer.  We don't get too many people paying with cash, I don't understand why they have to keep so much change on hand.

Appreciate your input - keep your sanity; sounds like they'll eventually be leaving!

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, zoemom said:

I am so glad we have this forum, I feel that you all our my friends.  I don't mean to sound pathetic, but since I moved here five years ago, I've not been able to make any non-internet friends, so I'm asking you all for some of your sage advice.

I have had a bit of an "upset" last Friday.  As some of you may know, I started working at a vet's practice on March 8th as a customer service rep (receptionist).  There are all sorts of procedures to learn, paperwork to complete, filing, scheduling appointments, taking phone calls, at times it can be very stressful.  I spent most of my career working in the "human side of healthcare", first in an orthopaedic practice and then as a buyer for Home Health care supplies and equipment.  I'm surprised how different a vet practice is.  There's a lot of stuff for my older MS brain to absorb (this was why I had to go on disability from my hospital job).  Add to the fact that I'm the oldest person there, the rest of the staff are in their 20's - 30's.  Initially my manager told me I was doing a good job (I was on a 60 day probation period).

However, at my 60 day review last Friday she told me that she didn't think I was catching on as "fast" as they needed, they gave me a couple of tips, (don't be so timid to assist, write up any procedure that confuses me, and I need to be more accurate/confident when counting the cash drawer at close).   I'm the first to admit that counting change/money is difficult for me (MS messes with counting ability and concentration and I have a bit of difficulty remembering client names/faces and some of the office procedures). 

I'm scheduled to work 1 to 7 pm the rest of the week, right now I'm feeling so anxious about going back there, its making me nauseous and I'm also very emotional (again another MS thing that tends to flare when I'm under stress).  I need the $$ that the job pays ($8.50/hr) and I need something to supplement my on SSDI, but can't earn more than $1040/mo.    I'm fairly certain that I'm going to be let go/fired at the end of the month - its too convenient and the end of the pay period.

I would appreciate any input from you ladies on how I can solider through the next to weeks.  I feel like bursting out in tears right now and haven't been able to eat for a couple of days now (not such a bad thing!)

Thanks in advance.

Ugh.  I feel for you.  I too have worked a couple of jobs in my recent experience that I felt I just wasn't catching on to, but I knew that I would, and I did, just a little slower than TPTB would have preferred.  As our society has headed screaming into an instant gratification mindset, everything and now, that is what the youngers are used to and unfortunately, demand.  Not sure I have sage advice, but I would just try to convince your supervisor that you are catching on, you will redouble your efforts (that is if you want the job, you may not?), and try to give your best sales pitch of yourself.  Finally, I'm a firm believer that what is to be will be.  Not everything is meant to be.  With employment being what it is right now, there is another job out there for you, if this one isn't the right one.  

Try to remain positive, even if you have to 'fake it 'till you make it' (gawd).  Hang in there kid!

@zoemom, I agree with PearlClutcher and SSElevated. 

I would have a list of procedures at hand so you can reference it. Regarding the money drawer, if you don't give out change you can count the drawer, write down the amount on a slip of paper and tuck it in the change slots. You won't have to recount the drawer every opening and closing, unless someone paid in cash. People's faces and names will come easier later. I think you are still in stress mode which affects job performance right now. 

If things don't work out, don't look at it as the end of the world. Drawing from my own circumstances, I don't want to work anywhere I'm not happy. I worked 2 years in a job I hated and the lying bitch tyrant manager liked to make all of the employees unhappy. When I left, I found out there are more low paying jobs available than I realized. I don't have to be stuck in a job that is not good for me. 

One more comment on the shingles vaccine. Yes, my arm was sore for about a week. My doctor said he didn't keep it at his clinic because it has to be refrigerated and has a short shelf life. He sent all of his patients to the pharmacy because they gave enough shots to make it feasible to stock it or get it in the next day. The pharmacy sent a notice to my doctor that I'd received the vaccine so it went into my record. Hope this helps explain it. 

Wilshire wigs is having a 30% off sale: 

30% SALE + FREE U.S. SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $50 WITH COUPON CODE: WILSHIRE30

31 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

One more comment on the shingles vaccine. Yes, my arm was sore for about a week. My doctor said he didn't keep it at his clinic because it has to be refrigerated and has a short shelf life. He sent all of his patients to the pharmacy because they gave enough shots to make it feasible to stock it or get it in the next day. The pharmacy sent a notice to my doctor that I'd received the vaccine so it went into my record. Hope this helps explain it. 

Sounds perfect!

5 hours ago, zoemom said:

Thanks in advance.

@zoemom, as other posters have said, try not to stress out - stress will make anyone feel overwhelmed and confused. A couple of tips... This idea may sound dumb, but think about getting a digital coin bank. Amazon has many of them, and some are under $10. The lid has a battery in it and a digital display, and as you push coins through the slot in the lid, it counts the money. You could put all your coins in the bank at the end of each day to get a total count, empty it, reset the counter to zero and do the same thing every day. I actually use of of these as a fun piggy bank, and I love it.

Writing up procedures is a great idea because this will give you a cheat sheet to refer to as you perform the procedure. Some people like to write them up in the form of a checklist; this gives you the opportunity to check off each step as you complete it, if that would help you. Also, just the act of writing up the procedure may help you to remember it.

As far as remembering people's faces/names, I know many people who have difficulty with this! A simple "I'm sorry but I'm not very good with names; please remind me of yours" - said with a smile - is good customer service in my book. Given your prior jobs, I'll bet you're great at customer service and helping others, so if you just do what you've done before in your "human side" jobs, you'll nail it.

No one can predict what your bosses will do at the end of the month, but if they wanted to let you go, they could have done so at the end of the 60 days. Giving you feedback to help you improve is a good sign, I feel. It tells me they'd like to see you succeed, and so show them you're working to implement some of their suggestions. Just take it day by day.

@zoemom, I'm sorry you are so stressed and I can relate. I don't have MS but fibromyalgia messes with cognitive functions and stress makes it worse. Been on disability for 15 years after broke my back and never able to work again. I can tell by reading posts that you are sharp, rational and quick. Good suggestions on here. All you can do is have confidence in your abilities and do your best. If this job goes, another, better, one will come along. Mama used to say don't borrow trouble, it makes things worse. When fibro fog hits, I just slow myself down, breathe deeply and double check myself. You have so much to offer and you CAN thrive no matter what. We are with you, friend.

6 hours ago, zoemom said:

Thanks in advance.

So sorry that you have to go through this. I know it must be really stressful and tiring. All the advice posted here is wonderful and I hope some of it helps.  Try to eat to maintain strength!  We'll be with you throughout. Keep us posted. 

3 hours ago, artisto said:

Wilshire wigs is having a 30% off sale: 

30% SALE + FREE U.S. SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $50 WITH COUPON CODE: WILSHIRE30

Thanks! I ordered this one I've had my eye on. We'll see!

wig.JPG

@zoemom, I cannot add anything to the great advice given here, but I personally know it helps to be able to discuss things with "friends" and I believe we are friends that care about each other when one is going through a difficult time. I've gotten support from cyber friends here when I was going through a difficult time. I'm just glad you shared your feelings here and I hope we can help in some way. ❤️❤️❤️

3 hours ago, Booney said:

This idea may sound dumb, but think about getting a digital coin bank. Amazon has many of them, and some are under $10. The lid has a battery in it and a digital display, and as you push coins through the slot in the lid, it counts the money. You could put all your coins in the bank at the end of each day to get a total count, empty it, reset the counter to zero and do the same thing every day. I actually use of of these as a fun piggy bank, and I love it.

I was thinking the same thing, and looking at amazon. 
I'm on a lot of Facebook dog pages, and we talk about people we only know as Buffy's mom, or Patches' dad. 
When it has to do with out pets, I think kindness to them outweighs knowing our name, or giving our change quickly.

(edited)

Zoemom, I can't think of much to add to the good advice others have given you, except to just soldier through the next couple of weeks. In a way this might be easier than driving yourself crazy trying to improve your performance, when you're already doing the best you can. If you think they're going to lay you off anyway, that kind of takes the pressure off, doesn't it? Just go in every day and concentrate on the things you like about the job, your coworkers and the animals you're helping. That might help you relax.

If you lose the job, it will just be a temporary setback. I had to walk away from a stressful job back around 1994, when computers were first being widely used in offices. I was working my way through an urban college doing office jobs around town, and I needed the money for my tuition and apartment. I didn't know how to use a Windows computer, didn't even know how to do word processing, but managed to get a job at  one-person company as an assistant  because I had experience with general clerical work and offline data entry. (Keypunch cards, and then big cards with magnetic strips -- anybody else old enough to remember either of those?) My boss said he didn't mind if I learned the computer on the job. His attitude was "You're smart, you can figure it out." He told me to go down the hall and ask other women office workers if I had any computer questions. (It was one of those offices where many small businesses rented space.) I had to ask for help so often that I was embarrassed all the time. I struggled so hard to learn that computer that I went home and cried every night. My boss was very patient, but finally I told him I felt I was holding him back (I wasn't producing much work) and advised him to hire someone with computer knowledge. We parted friends, and I found another job.

And I did eventually learn to use a computer... thus, here I am, online. It was a real struggle for an old baby boomer who grew up with typewriters and adding machines.

Edited by Coffeecup

I stumbled onto this forum and thought I would add my two cents to the discussion. Zoemom, please try to relax and take some deep breaths, your health is more important than this or any job. Now as far as the change in your drawer, get the counter from amazon when you can afford it, but in the meantime, do it the old-fashioned way, and roll the excess coins (if you have the required numbers that fits into the roll), and place them on the side until you really need them. If the office rarely has a cash paying customer, you would not need more than 20-pennies, nickels, and dimes, and maybe 12 quarters. Everything else could fit in a roll and would lessen your need to count down everything at the end of the day. Make a list of the various procedures and codes, laminate it, and leave it somewhere close (if you can, tape it next to your computer screen).

Now for the shingles vaccine folk, most insurance companies prefer that you receive the shot from the pharmacy for the reasons listed above. If your Dr. writes it up as a prescription, your insurance must pay for it. Try calling the insurance beforehand to iron out the details. I had shingles about five years ago, but I had to get my Dr. to prescribe the vaccine because I was a federal employee and the CDC did not recommend the vaccine for anyone under 60. I called my health insurance and because my Dr. prescribed it, I got the shot, with the insurance coverage and only paid $50 for my out-of-pocket. I am so glad the age was lowered. As for the pain lingering, I learned over the years, that if you get any vaccination in your dominant arm, it gets better faster because of use, or you notice it less for the same reason.

I always liked the Stooges, but fell in love with them when I started listened to the dialogue. The snark was strong and 1930's comedy invented the  social and political burn.

(edited)

Romper Room topic started on other forum.  I googled it and found it very interesting!   I remember a different teacher, and sure enough, "Miss Judy" was the Romper Room teacher in the Madison, WI area.  I don't remember much except the DoBee and Don't Bee, Miss Judy and her magic mirror, a puppet, and the "Romper stomper bomper boo" ditty.  Didn't realize it was actually like a kindergarten classroom on TV.

Zoemom, not ignoring you!  I have no better advice than that which has been given.  Hang on and don't beat yourself up!

Edited by Thumper
(edited)

Romper Room memories!

We got the local Los Angeles version when I was young. One Saturday we had a beach outing planned, but on the day my mother didn't feel up to it (from this vantage point, I can surmise she was hung over). My sister and I were dejectedly watching the show when the magic mirror segment came on: "Romper, stomper, bomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?" Then Miss Nancy called out our names, saying she was sorry we didn't get to go to the beach but to stay cheerful or some shit.

We were freaked out and juvenile minds blown! Guess mom had time to call into the show between hits of aspirin and coffee.

Edited by Lord Donia

zoemom, I'm sorry your job is stressful. It always takes a while to learn new things, and you certainly have the background and experience. How are you with the names of pets? I wouldn't be offended if someone forgot my name but remembered my dog.  :)

If it doesn't work out, remind yourself, "I was looking for a job when I got this one." And don't forget to file for unemployment. It never hurts to ask. 

I'll remind all the older ladies looking for receptionist work -- H&R Block is the #1 employer for seasonal workers. Apply in July, interview in the fall, work through tax season. Highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

Romper Room memories!

We got the local Los Angeles version when I was young. One Saturday we had a beach outing planned, but on the day my mother didn't feel up to it (from this vantage point, I can surmise she was hung over). My sister and I were dejectedly watching the show when the magic mirror segment came on: "Romper, stomper, bomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?" Then Miss Nancy called out our names, saying she was sorry we didn't get to go to the beach but to stay cheerful or some shit.

We were freaked out and juvenile minds blown! Guess mom had time to call into the show between hits of aspirin and coffee.

Very funny!  And sweet of your mom!  Great story.

5 hours ago, cakes1975 said:

I learned over the years, that if you get any vaccination in your dominant arm, it gets better faster because of use, or you notice it less for the same reason.

Holy smokes!  This is a great tip that I've not heard before.  Welcome, and come back~

Zoemom, remember - they advertised and you responded to a job working many less hours than you are actually working. Sounds like double the hours. They probably know they need someone full time but won't or can't hire as such because of benefits or something. Not your problem. They tick me off for almost false advertising! But right now if doesn't sound like you are ready to work all those hours. The MS loves to creep in during these times, as we both know, when we are overloaded. Maybe someplace nearby with a slower pace might be better for now. Maybe the library or a school possibly? I feel your pain. Literally. So sorry it's bumpy right now. One time in college I was offered two jobs just going around in person and dropping off my resume to places I was interested in. One place called me in about a week, the other a month. Good luck. I know it will work out somehow.

5 minutes ago, Friedbaloney said:

Re gardening: I went plant shopping today and maybe it's just too early in the season, but I couldn't find any sweet alyssum in the 4 or 6 packs anywhere. (For those who don't know, it's a common, low-growing annual with tiny, fragrant white flowers). First world problems, I know--but WTH. I count on sweet alyssum every year to edge my flower beds with. I guess I'll have to try to grow it from seed but I really don't like doing that.  I'm not seeing a lot of the plants I used to see being sold in those inexpensive flats. Now they're selling them in quart size pots for $4.99 and up! I wonder if all the rain this spring ruined a lot of crops at the nurseries?

One thing I'm happy about though is that I managed to find morning glory seedlings. Good thing, because I was growing some on my windowsill and last night I accidentally knocked them on the floor. Code Blue was called but nobody was able to be resuscitated. I feel bad.

I laugh every time I think about somebody having a crush on Moe and Bela  Lugosi! I had a kid-crush on Dracula no matter who he was played by, and Mick Jagger. LOL. 

This is why I started growing my plants from seeds. I used to be able to get those little 2" square plants for $1 each. When they started selling them at $2.50 each I turned to growing from seeds. I've got 14 planters to fill. That would be over $60. 

Since I am container gardening, it's not like I have to fill a flower bed quickly. I can wait for my seeds to come up. 

Last year at the very end of the plant selling season Walmart was clearing out their plant section. I got several large petunia pots reduced to $1 each. They were great for about a month. Then they started looking leggy and worn out. I love the look of petunia flowers but I wish their growing habit was more like the vinca/periwinkles.

On 5/16/2017 at 2:47 AM, seahag said:

I got the pneumonia shot two weeks ago and STILL have a bump there, although it's nowhere near as big, hot, or itchy as it was.  Gotta check with my insurance about the shingles vaccine.

I got the pneumonia shot last September. My arm ached for nearly 3 months! Good thing it lasts for a few years. 

3 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

Re gardening: I went plant shopping today and maybe it's just too early in the season, but I couldn't find any sweet alyssum in the 4 or 6 packs anywhere. (For those who don't know, it's a common, low-growing annual with tiny, fragrant white flowers). First world problems, I know--but WTH. I count on sweet alyssum every year to edge my flower beds with. I guess I'll have to try to grow it from seed but I really don't like doing that.  I'm not seeing a lot of the plants I used to see being sold in those inexpensive flats. Now they're selling them in quart size pots for $4.99 and up! I wonder if all the rain this spring ruined a lot of crops at the nurseries?

One thing I'm happy about though is that I managed to find morning glory seedlings. Good thing, because I was growing some on my windowsill and last night I accidentally knocked them on the floor. Code Blue was called but nobody was able to be resuscitated. I feel bad.

I laugh every time I think about somebody having a crush on Moe and Bela  Lugosi! I had a kid-crush on Dracula no matter who he was played by, and Mick Jagger. LOL. 

I don't buy plants before Mother's Day, sometimes not until Memorial Day.  This year, hubs and I went to a couple of places on Saturday before MD, and the product was clearly old, pot bound, and had very little variety.  We lost a couple of independent greenhouses during/after the recession, and unless I'm willing to drive more than 25 miles (I'm not), we are down to 2 small locally owned (one which only accepts cash, so it's a 'no' from me), and the other is where I bought. The other choices are Lowe's (also very picked over and plants looked bad), or Wal Mart.  Dunno what happened this year, but it'll be interesting to see how these annuals work out.

My Facebook feed has ads that keep popping up for two home hair color kits - one is eSalon, and the other one is Madison Reed. Has anyone tried either of these? I get my hair colored in a salon and I'm getting tired of how much money I'm spending. My hair grows really fast, so I'm at the salon every 3 weeks getting a touch up. Letting my hair go gray (or in my case, white) is not an option I'm willing to consider. I like my hair blonde! I've gone lighter blonde to try to hide the white hair, but it's not working so well any more. Even though I don't necessarily want to deal with the mess of coloring my own hair, it would save a lot of money. Any recommendations or product reviews? Thanks in advance!

32 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

We lost a couple of independent greenhouses

Many greenhouses have been driven out of business by foreign competition. It's crazy to think roses are flown in from Colombia and Ecuador, but they are. However, now that pot is legal in many places, those greenhouses are back in business with a new crop. I kid you not. 

@Booney, I use Age Beautiful hair color from Sally's in light golden blonde with 30 volume cream lightener. I process for 45 minutes to let it fully develop. I am completely white on top and sides to crown and salt and pepper in back. It looks like highlighted blonde after and I get 7 weeks between coloring. Easy to do. I use a squeeze bottle, wear gloves start on the front and work in. After I condition with a cream from Sally's too. Use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner to extend color. I was having issues like you are and the woman at Sally's looked at my hair and walked me through it. Since my hair is short, I get 2 uses out of one tube of cream color. One ounce color to one ounce developer.  It's cheap and easy. My cousin's wife who owns a salon in another town always compliments me on my hair. She still thinks it's done at a salon. I don't tell her.

19 minutes ago, kittygirl said:

@Booney, I use Age Beautiful hair color from Sally's in light golden blonde with 30 volume cream lightener. I process for 45 minutes to let it fully develop. I am completely white on top and sides to crown and salt and pepper in back. It looks like highlighted blonde after and I get 7 weeks between coloring. Easy to do. I use a squeeze bottle, wear gloves start on the front and work in. After I condition with a cream from Sally's too. Use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner to extend color. I was having issues like you are and the woman at Sally's looked at my hair and walked me through it. Since my hair is short, I get 2 uses out of one tube of cream color. One ounce color to one ounce developer.  It's cheap and easy. My cousin's wife who owns a salon in another town always compliments me on my hair. She still thinks it's done at a salon. I don't tell her.

Thanks @kittygirl - I'll check it out. 7 weeks between coloring would be heaven!

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Rustybones said:

If you don't want to make your own, stop at Wal-Mart, bakery department, for Patti Labelle cobblers.  They come in peach, apple, or berry.  Absolutely delish!

Great idea!  I like a lot of Patti LaBelle's products.  She had a great barbecue sauce made with agave that we really liked, but Wegman's stopped carrying her products.  I had herd she had a line of food...I just didn't know where.  Cobblers are my favorite.  We have been known, in this house, to get a Mrs. Smith's Blackberry Cobbler and have it for dinner.

I am going to WalMart tomorrow and get a peach cobbler!  Thanks for the info!!

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, Booney said:

Gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing this!

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

Romper Room topic started on other forum.  I googled it and found it very interesting!   I remember a different teacher, and sure enough, "Miss Judy" was the Romper Room teacher in the Madison, WI area.  I don't remember much except the DoBee and Don't Bee, Miss Judy and her magic mirror, a puppet, and the "Romper stomper bomper boo" ditty.  Didn't realize it was actually like a kindergarten classroom on TV.

Zoemom, not ignoring you!  I have no better advice than that which has been given.  Hang on and don't beat yourself up!

I am in my home office right now, and I have a bulletin board above my desk.  I am staring at a pin I picked up at an antique co-op that says "I am a Romper Stomper" and has a bee in the middle with "do bee" on it!  I loved that show!!

6 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

This is why I started growing my plants from seeds. I used to be able to get those little 2" square plants for $1 each. When they started selling them at $2.50 each I turned to growing from seeds. I've got 14 planters to fill. That would be over $60. 

Since I am container gardening, it's not like I have to fill a flower bed quickly. I can wait for my seeds to come up. 

Last year at the very end of the plant selling season Walmart was clearing out their plant section. I got several large petunia pots reduced to $1 each. They were great for about a month. Then they started looking leggy and worn out. I love the look of petunia flowers but I wish their growing habit was more like the vinca/periwinkles.

Petunias = if you cut them back hard, they'll regrow and be lush again.  Figure on cutting them back maybe three times during the growing season.  Cutting them back hard when they start to get leggy, makes them lush again.  Maybe cut them back by a 1/3.  Also, and this is the reason I stopped growing them, they must be deadheaded.  That doesn't mean you just pull the faded flower off, but you must cut the little pod that the flower grew from.  That's where the seeds are produced.  An annual's sole reason for being (from a horticulture standpoint) is to produce seed.......after it flowers, it then goes into seed making.  When you deadhead, it starts the process of flowering all over again! 

I wish I had the space and the time to grow from seed!  It's gratifying as well as a money saver!

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, zoemom said:

Thanks in advance.

Zoemom, first and foremost, we are here for you - you are not alone!  I apologize for not coming on this side of the forum for a few days....it makes me feel like I ignored you.  I was pained when I read your post.

Everyone here gave you wonderful advice!  Two comments that stuck out and were exactly what I was thinking when I first read your post, were:

1)  They must like you......if you were on a probationary period and got your review on the last day of probation, they could have just as well let you go right then and there.  If it was something they were really concerned about, I would think they'd offer that feedback sooner.  To me, it sounds like they were just giving you constructive feedback, so take it to heart, but don't stress out about it because it will only make you even more worried - and that's not good for you!

2)  You've mentioned that you were supposed to be part time and they have worked you to death, giving you more hours than you originally wanted.  Being tired, feeling stressed can't be good for you and your MS.  In fact, it could be the very thing that is exacerbating the issue with counting the drawer, being confused, etc. 

I am a big believer in that all things happen for a reason - the good and the bad.  If, for whatever reason, this doesn't work out the way you want, there is something better for you around the corner.  For now, just be calm and confident!

And let us know how it is working out!!  Hang in there.....

7 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

I've noticed the "price creep" at my local garden centers for the past three or four years. I remember the inexpensive 6-packs; that's what I liked to buy. Now they are putting all the plants in bigger containers at higher prices. Of course, you do get a slightly bigger plant, but I didn't mind waiting on the little ones to grow and saving some money.

They also changed to more expensive varieties of common plants. For example, impatiens. I like the plain little impatiens, but all that the closest garden center had when I went the other day was the expensive New Guinea impatiens. I had to go out of my way to a different garden store to find the plain impatiens.

I grow some flowers from seeds every year, zinnias and marigolds. Both are very easy to grow. I get lots of cut flowers from my zinnia plants, because every time you cut a flower, the stem splits in two and produces two new flowers. These are small flowers with short stems. I have a collection of small size flower vases especially for the little zinnias.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I've noticed the "price creep" at my local garden centers for the past three or four years. I remember the inexpensive 6-packs; that's what I liked to buy. Now they are putting all the plants in bigger containers at higher prices. Of course, you do get a slightly bigger plant, but I didn't mind waiting on the little ones to grow and saving some money.

They also changed to more expensive varieties of common plants. For example, impatiens. I like the plain little impatiens, but all that the closest garden center had when I went the other day was the expensive New Guinea impatiens. I had to go out of my way to a different garden store to find the plain impatiens.

I grow some flowers from seeds every year, zinnias and marigolds. Both are very easy to grow. I get lots of cut flowers from my zinnia plants, because every time you cut a flower, the stem splits in two and produces two new flowers. These are small flowers with short stems. I have a collection of small size flower vases especially for the little zinnias.

I like to do my herbs in mixed pots, and usually add a colorful flower specimen or two to add to the collection on my patio.

Flower pricing has gone berserk.  I'm spending a fortune because I am unable (space/sunlight) and unwilling to go the seed route.  I don't have a lot of perennials in my yard because it is a very small yard, and I find most of them get too large for what I like.  I now mostly container garden.  I bought 3 well-established mandavillas, 3 10" hanging petunias, a small 4" yellow something and 2 well-established mixed hangers and have spent probably $250, not counting the soil to re-pot, which I do on all of them.  That may be low for those of you in high population areas, but I know that I'm done!  I used to buy smaller flat-sized flowers and pot my own, but I don't really have a good place to do it, and I'm sick of the stooping and the mess.  Just another by-product of getting older I guess.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
4 hours ago, ennui said:

However, now that pot is legal in many places, those greenhouses are back in business with a new crop. I kid you not. 

I live in Indiana.  I can assure you that we will be one of, if not the last state to get on board where marijuana is concerned.

2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Petunias = if you cut them back hard, they'll regrow and be lush again.  Figure on cutting them back maybe three times during the growing season.  Cutting them back hard when they start to get leggy, makes them lush again.  Maybe cut them back by a 1/3.  Also, and this is the reason I stopped growing them, they must be deadheaded.  That doesn't mean you just pull the faded flower off, but you must cut the little pod that the flower grew from.  That's where the seeds are produced.  An annual's sole reason for being (from a horticulture standpoint) is to produce seed.......after it flowers, it then goes into seed making.  When you deadhead, it starts the process of flowering all over again! 

I wish I had the space and the time to grow from seed!  It's gratifying as well as a money saver!

Thank you for the tip! I might try petunias again another year.

I thought I was deadheading properly, maybe I wasn't. I was pinching the spent bloom off the stem. It sounds like I wasn't getting all of it. My petunias started out lush with blooms. They end up with long trailers with spindly blooms on the end. I cut one back, but it wasn't happy after that and did not recover. 

Regarding growing from seed - I already have the containers, good dirt, and the sun is free. Vinca are easy to start from seed. I planted them 5 days ago. Some have already sprouted. Some plant seeds take maybe 3 weeks to germinate. I avoid those. I'm patient but not that patient. I tried that once. By the time I figured out my first planting of 21 seeds only produced 4 viable seedlings, I was having to start over and 3 to 4 weeks behind in my garden. I did that before and got almost nothing. I'm disappointed too much, that's why I'm sticking to the easy-to-grow plants this year.

It IS gratifying to grow plants from seed and it be successful. Two years ago, I started harvesting my own seeds. The seeds I saved are hardier than the original batch of seeds I purchased. Two of my friends loved the pink and white flowers in my garden. I was able to share seeds with them! It felt like sharing recipes.