Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

I am posting a lot tonight because we are in the midst of a Nor'Easter.  It has been raining since dawn.  Hope I'm not posting too much.  Hope everyone in the path is doing ok.

@lovemesomejoolery, is it still nasty by you?  The wind is not too bad.  Just a lot of rain.

I love Y&R.  I started watching when Cricket was married to Danny and Phyllis showed up. I love to watch flasbacks because I wasn't watching then.  I looked at the forum here but not much there.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, ennui said:

I just looked, and Roger and Ann-Margret have been married 50 years. That's amazing for Hollywood.

She was very nice and had a lovely voice.  I remember I told her I'd had a crush on her hubby when I was a little kid and she laughed and said something to the effect that she still had a crush on him.  They seem like a nice, normal couple, sticking together through thick and thin (health issues).

24 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Sounds like MamaCarpeDiem followed in GrandmaCarpeDiem's footsteps, from some of the stories you've shared with us!  Very funny!

They were both God fearing, church going ladies, but the older they got, the raunchier they got!

36 minutes ago, SentimentalLady said:

I am posting a lot tonight because we are in the midst of a Nor'Easter.  It has been raining since dawn.  Hope I'm not posting too much.  Hope everyone in the path is doing ok.

@lovemesomejoolery, is it still nasty by you?  The wind is not too bad.  Just a lot of rain.

I love Y&R.  I started watching when Cricket was married to Danny and Phyllis showed up. I love to watch flasbacks because I wasn't watching then.  I looked at the forum here but not much there.

Sorry I got to you late......weather wasn't as bad as they predicted.  No wind to speak of.  It was rainy all day until around 3:00, but not the hard driving, torrential rain that was predicted.  Last evening, around 11:00 pm, it was raining pretty hard, though.  The sun came out today for maybe 5 minutes, then it went back to being gray.

I, too am a Y&R fan.  I have been watching since about 5th grade, when it first started.  I maybe missed a couple of years, but record it every day.  I have 4 episodes from last week I need to get through.

1 minute ago, PearlClutcher said:

We'll I'll be, a Nor'Easter in May?  Awful.  Stay safe and keep us posted.  

Yes, it is awful.  We went from having temps in the mid 70's, to this week having frost on Monday morning and it's been dark and gloomy and rainy all week. 

That said, we need the rain.  We had very little snow to speak of this winter, so a nice gentle rain like we've had all week, is a good thing.

1 minute ago, PearlClutcher said:

We'll I'll be, a Nor'Easter in May?  Awful.  Stay safe and keep us posted.  

I know.  The weather is crazy everywhere.  50 degrees now and it will be 86 on Wednesday.   Thankfully we are on a hill and never flood.

And my petunias are safe in the garage?

1 hour ago, SentimentalLady said:

I always wanted to go to the Christmas time train show at the Bronx Botanical Gardens.  I haven't made it there yet.  

Sounds like bucket list time for you!  I've seen it one time and it was magical.

My husband and I are going to try and get there this summer.  There is a Chihuly exhibition there, that runs through Fall

(edited)
15 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Sorry I got to you late......weather wasn't as bad as they predicted.  No wind to speak of.  It was rainy all day until around 3:00, but not the hard driving, torrential rain that was predicted.  Last evening, around 11:00 pm, it was raining pretty hard, though.  The sun came out today for maybe 5 minutes, then it went back to being gray.

I, too am a Y&R fan.  I have been watching since about 5th grade, when it first started.  I maybe missed a couple of years, but record it every day.  I have 4 episodes from last week I need to get through.

You're not late☺  Glad it wasn't that bad for you.  I think it was you who told me about the Y&R forum.  I am really liking Michael Baldwin the last couple of years.  I think he is leaving, unfortunately.

I am ready to settle in with Pinot Grigio and Cape Cod potato chips.  If Svengoolie isn't good we havw Perry Mason on the DVR.  

Edited by SentimentalLady
Cape Cod not Cape Code. Hep me!
(edited)
43 minutes ago, ennui said:

David Soul?  

No, not David Soul.  I had to look it up, and I made an"oops."  Jeremy was the character played by Bobby Sherman.  The oldest brother's name was Jason, played by Robert Brown.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0114543/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t1

eeek!  I just read part of his bio.  He was born in 1926 -- only two years younger than my dad!  I feel a little icky now.  :D

Edited by Thumper
(edited)

The Great Bronxoni can now report that Shawn Killinger has been turned into a yeti and is permanently living in the Himalayas.

Edited by Bronx Babe
Don Lemon will break this exclusive news

I just looked up Bobby Sherman.....just to see what he's been up to.  Do you know he became a paramedic and, later, a police officer?

bobby shermanvestpeacesign.jpg

bobby sherman today.jpg

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

No, not David Soul.  I had to look it up, and I made an"oops."  Jeremy was the character played by Bobby Sherman.  The oldest brother's name was Jason, played by Robert Brown.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0114543/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t1

eeek!  I just read part of his bio.  He was born in 1926 -- only two years younger than my dad!  I feel a little icky now.  :D

Bwahahaha!  Funny!

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Sounds like MamaCarpeDiem followed in GrandmaCarpeDiem's footsteps, from some of the stories you've shared with us!  Very funny!

I like Bobby Sherman, but after watching "Here Comes the Brides," I was more attracted to the hunky older brother, Jeremy.  Don't remember the actor's name.   More manly. Some of those teen favorites, like Donny Osmond, were too girly looking for me, even in Jr. High.  Especially Donny.  Sorry Donny fans -- I have many friends who LUV❤️ him too!   ?

I had a poster of Jim Morrison shirtless, wearing tight leather pants, hanging over my bed, ah memories.

(edited)
2 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

I always wanted to go to the Christmas time train show at the Bronx Botanical Gardens.  I haven't made it there yet.  

We have the Garden Railway here in the Philly area at the Morris Arboretum. It's a miniature railroad and all the buildings are replicas of historic buildings in and around Philadelphia - all are made with natural materials. For  Christmas, they add seasonal decorations. It's one of my favorite Christmas attractions.

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

AMC and Another World were my "stories". My mom and grandmother watched them and I happened to catch on in the late 80s. When my boys were born, I started watching One Life to Live since I already had the channel on. I've watched General Hospital sporadically over the last five years, but I haven't watched in about a year. 

I laughed when I saw "my stories." That's what my mother, sister and I always called them!

Edited by Booney
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

My grandmother had the hots for Lorne Greene!  I remember her saying he could "park his cowboy boots under my bed anytime" or "I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers".  This would embarrass MamaCarpeDiem no end.  LOL.  She'd say, "Mother!  Not in front of the kids!"

Oh!  Roger Smith was dreamy, too.

A company I worked for sold "high end" residential carpet through interior designers.  One day Mrs. Smith called me about a question on her invoice.  It was Ann-Margaret!  

That's hilarious, @CarpeDiem54! Does anyone remember Lorne's one hit wonder song, "Ringo" circa 1964? It was one of the best (worst?) examples of talk-singing. It was so bad it was good.

I just saw Ann-Margaret in the movie "Going In Style" with Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Alan Atkin. She looks fabulous!

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've been in love with Paul McCartney since I was 10.  That's almost 53 years.  *le sigh*

James Garner in Maverick was a hunk.  And he got better looking the older he got, IMO.

Me too, although for me it's since I was 11. I fantasized about marrying him until Linda Eastman came along and dashed my dreams. ? I'm glad he's found happiness again after losing Linda and then his disastrous marriage to Heather Mills.

I loved James Garner in the Rockford Files.

2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

For me he was the best looking Stooge, which actually now that I think about it really isn't saying much.

Lol - so true. Almost anyone would look good next to Larry and Curly.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.fd99a0486c749d85fe70506ec7e94427.JPG

Mama Hag always thought that Ben Cartwright and Hop Sing were a couple.  Adam left because he wanted Hop Sing for himself.  Did I mention that she's out of her mind?

(edited)
50 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Gargoyles coming up on Svengoolie!

My husband is watching.  He had to turn off the Mets.  This movie isn't my speed.  I need a castle and a cape or at least a candelabra.

@Bronx Babe.  That's his daughter??!!  Nice top!

21 minutes ago, seahag said:

Mama Hag always thought that Ben Cartwright and Hop Sing were a couple.  Adam left because he wanted Hop Sing for himself.  Did I mention that she's out of her mind?

Makes me want to go back and look at some Bonanza episodes. Maybe I missed some "chemistry" between Ben and Hop Sing. ??

(edited)
18 hours ago, Booney said:

We have the Garden Railway here in the Philly area at the Morris Arboretum. It's a miniature railroad and all the buildings are replicas of historic buildings in and around Philadelphia - all are made with natural materials. For  Christmas, they add seasonal decorations. It's one of my favorite Christmas attractions.

I laughed when I saw "my stories." That's what my mother, sister and I always called them!

Yes.  That sound like the same idea   all natural materials making up the Brooklyn Bridge, Radio City, St. Patrick's Cathedral  ...

Typo

Oh, Andy Williams was one of my "old guy" crushes.  So handsome, and a great voice!  I have a few of his Christmas albums.   His old Christmas specials are adorkable, especially with him and his brothers in matching outfits. (Great harmonies!)

46 minutes ago, SentimentalLady said:

My husband is watching.  He had to turn off the Mets.  This movie isn't my speed.  I need a castle and a cape or at least a candelabra.

@Bronx Babe.  That's his daughter??!!  Nice top!

I'm too busy looking at Cornel Wilde's chest!

Which one of The Monkees did y'all crush on? Peter Tork for me!

I'm throwing this out for a group judgment:

My sister doesn't like watching TV all that much and gets a little antsy after 2-3 hours, but her husband wants her company and enjoys discussing shows with her. I told her she should use her tablet to play low key games (solitaire, jigsaw puzzles, word games, etc.) while watching. Nothing timed or stressful. She feels that would be rude to him. I mean, she'd still be there, listening, watching and chatting as needed. People knit or do crafts or mending or any number of things while watching TV and I don't see electronic games as being inherently ruder.

Knitting engages your hands, but electronic games engage your mind.  I've known people who read books while their SO watches tv, and I wonder why bother being in the same room. 

Monkees ... I liked Davy Jones (duh) even though I'm a lot taller than he was. I also liked Mike Nesmith.

2 hours ago, Booney said:

Lol - so true. Almost anyone would look good next to Larry and Curly.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.fd99a0486c749d85fe70506ec7e94427.JPG

Don't forget Shemp. 

My dad and uncle are huge Stooges fans. My dad quotes the Stooges like other people quote The Godfather. The alphabet song has been shown to my boys. 

(edited)
5 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

For me he was the best looking Stooge, which actually now that I think about it really isn't saying much.

Moe said many times that it was his brother Curly who was the ladies man of the group. Curly was married 4 times. 

5 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

No, no, no?  Bobby Sherman all the way? I tried to convince my David Cassidy loving friend of this to no avail.

I mean the velvet choker, the suede vest.  Sigh.

ITA about Bobby Sherman. Him becoming a paramedic and policeofficer made him even more handsome. I like the good guys.

My first "poster" in my room was Starsky. I'd zoom to the magazine section in the store. I'd spend my money on "Tiger Beat" and other magazines to collect any and all pictures. It makes me laugh that now I can't remember the other teen mags but Tiger Beat. Paul Michael Glaser has aged well.

4 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

I hope everyone is safe and sound! 

Edited by TexasTiffany
1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

I'm throwing this out for a group judgment:

My sister doesn't like watching TV all that much and gets a little antsy after 2-3 hours, but her husband wants her company and enjoys discussing shows with her. I told her she should use her tablet to play low key games (solitaire, jigsaw puzzles, word games, etc.) while watching. Nothing timed or stressful. She feels that would be rude to him. I mean, she'd still be there, listening, watching and chatting as needed. People knit or do crafts or mending or any number of things while watching TV and I don't see electronic games as being inherently ruder.

I think @ennui has a good point that electronic games engage the mind, but knitting, coloring, or a jigsaw puzzle would be appropriate. Those are hobbies you can still do while casually watching tv. 

Davy Jones was cute, but I liked Micky since he played the drums and was funny. Peter and Michael seemed to be more timid and soft spoken of the group. 

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

My grandmother had the hots for Lorne Greene!  I remember her saying he could "park his cowboy boots under my bed anytime" or "I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers".  This would embarrass MamaCarpeDiem no end.  LOL.  She'd say, "Mother!  Not in front of the kids!"

LOLOL! I'm laughing but yes, he was a handsome guy. He had a swagger, smart, certainly a man's man. I can see what Hop Sing saw in him! You all are sooo funny! I did not know Hop Sing and Ben were significant others. I thought Hop Sing was calling everyone to dinner. I had no idea he was ringing Ben's bell. 

9 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Don't forget Shemp. 

My dad and uncle are huge Stooges fans. My dad quotes the Stooges like other people quote The Godfather. The alphabet song has been shown to my boys. 

I used to sing this all the time!!

And then the one where they were running rampant in a hospital:  "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard....."

And yes, Shemp!

30 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

And then the one where they were running rampant in a hospital:  "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard....."

And yes, Shemp!

30 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

And yes, Shemp!

Where I worked we had a Dr. Fine ( he wasn't ) and yes we had some childish fun, at least the ones who knew the Stooges.

On 5/13/2017 at 7:39 AM, PearlClutcher said:

OMG Booney you made my daily laugh fix - you loved Moe.  I'm not going to tell anyone my little girl crushes as they made zero sense, but I loved this! Btw, "Moe's" daughter said he was a wonderful man and father. 

My little girl crush was Underdog!

images.jpg

17 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

I'm throwing this out for a group judgment:i 

We sometimes play solitaire or do puzzles while we are watching TV.  Depends on what we are watching.  Can't do it with Jeopardy.  I don't think its rude but it matters what your brother in law thinks.

I didn't really get in to the Monkees.

On 5/12/2017 at 0:19 AM, lovemesomejoolery said:

Thanks for posting this....I'm definitely trying it.  Looks easy and Mr. Lovesme enjoys cobbler more than anything..and since this is a cross between pie/cobbler, it might be an easy way to do a cobbler.

Wow, that was a great thing to see - and much needed.  So cute!

If you don't want to make your own, stop at Wal-Mart, bakery department, for Patti Labelle cobblers.  They come in peach, apple, or berry.  Absolutely delish!

12 hours ago, Booney said:

I'm a little late to the party today, but it's not too late to wish everyone -

IMG_0870.GIF.7696a447c9c65b23630cea99bd3093f2.GIF

I'm TOTALLY a day late, but thanks Booney - since I'm only a mother to my feline companions, your post warmed my heart!   Mother's Day is still hard for me, I lost my mom 15 years ago, but it still feels like yesterday.

Ok, enough with the sadness, I too am enjoying this "new" site, its nice to be able to talk about whatever we please.  All of you Master Gardeners, I am impressed and am not worthy.  When I had a house, I had some pretty amazing gardens, with all sorts of plants, hydrangea's are still my favorite, but can't grow them too well on a balcony.  I've got to get started on my "balcony" garden - I had a very nice one last year - all annuals unfortunately.  I really enjoy Lantana, because they're pretty heat tolerant and more importantly, they draw the hummingbirds.  Lantana and coleus, easy to grow, bring lots of colour and for the most part can handle our August heat and humidity (well almost all plants like humidity somewhat!)  Coleus need a bit more H20, but a daily water seems to do it.  That and a few doses of Miracle Grow and I have happy plants.

19 hours ago, Snark Byte said:

My little girl crush was Underdog!

images.jpg

Me too Snark Byte!  Wow, that takes me back a bit!  Think he was voiced by Wally Cox and wasn't his girlfriend named something like Polly?  (Yep, answered my own question, thanks to Dr. Google - "Polly Purebred" was her name.  They don't make them like they used to!  (another sign of getting older!)

I haven't been able to post much the last 4 days. I had long hours at work. Yesterday, I did click on the 3 Stooges Alphabet Song. Maybe that wasn't a good idea. At work I found myself singing it randomly. At least I didn't add any "nyuck nyuck's". 

Mr. Kitty has a hydrangea garden at back of our property and three additional beds. So many beautiful plants of many varieties. Maybe 30+. I do the flower beds. Here we grow lantana in the ground and they come back as perenniels.  I love hollyhocks but they don't do well here...Southern Hollyhock Rust gets thems. No known method to stop the rust either. Also have an herb garden which comes back every year. My one $2 oregano is now 7 years ole and I've rooted and given nunerous plants away. Use fresh herbs all the time. Many herbs still grow and don'tn die back over winter.

Hi. I wanted to share some info for those of you that were part of the shingles conversation on the other forum. I'm the one that just recently had the shingles (from end March to mid April). I checked with my insurance company and they do cover the vaccine for those 50 and older. Yay ! Because I am only 51. And it's also considered preventative care, so they will pay at 100%. So, yay again ! The only negative is I can't get the vaccine at the pharmacy. Since it's covered under the medical part of my plan and not as a prescription, I have to get it from my primary care doctor. And he's the one that discouraged me from getting the vaccine right when I turned 50. So I have a little bone to pick with him. Grrr ! But at least the word about the insurance coverage was good news. Going in on Wednesday.

And, forgot to say, I've been singing the Stooges alphabet song for the past two days myself ! ?

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Hi. I wanted to share some info for those of you that were part of the shingles conversation on the other forum. I'm the one that just recently had the shingles (from end March to mid April). I checked with my insurance company and they do cover the vaccine for those 50 and older. Yay ! Because I am only 51. And it's also considered preventative care, so they will pay at 100%. So, yay again ! The only negative is I can't get the vaccine at the pharmacy. Since it's covered under the medical part of my plan and not as a prescription, I have to get it from my primary care doctor. And he's the one that discouraged me from getting the vaccine right when I turned 50. So I have a little bone to pick with him. Grrr ! But at least the word about the insurance coverage was good news. Going in on Wednesday.

And, forgot to say, I've been singing the Stooges alphabet song for the past two days myself ! ?

I got the shingles shot too. Medicare doesn't cover it, but my "Medigap" policy paid for about 85% of it. It was $298 total, and I only have to pay $46.00. (I'm over 60.) My primary care doc recommended it, and he had the vaccine in his office.

Did anybody who got the shot get a really sore arm? My arm hurt for several days.

(edited)
1 hour ago, PearlClutcher said:

Great info Benji.  My doctor doesn't carry the vaccine which peeves me.  I want my shots in the office, not a a pharmacy out in the open plus my doctor has a record.  

When I first read that I thought it meant your doctor has a police record. Stop seeing that doctor, @PearlClutcher! Oh, he keeps medical records. So much better! lol 

Edited by TexasTiffany
9 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I got the shingles shot too. Medicare doesn't cover it, but my "Medigap" policy paid for about 85% of it. It was $298 total, and I only have to pay $46.00. (I'm over 60.) My primary care doc recommended it, and he had the vaccine in his office.

Did anybody who got the shot get a really sore arm? My arm hurt for several days.

Mine did too, @Coffeecup. The spot where they gave me the shot was red for a few days too.

For the garden fans here, Mr. Booney and I visited the Elizabethan Gardens today on Roanoke Island in NC. It's small, but lovely. Mostly shade plants - lots of hostas, hydrangeas, and ferns. They also have a brick-walled rose garden and my favorite spot, a sunken garden with statues of Roman gods - pic below of the centerpiece statue -

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.cec485478ae1f616ce271dde473adc27.jpg