Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a short-cut cobbler type recipe.  Here's another similar desert that doesn't look like it could get any easier:

http://www.allcuteallthetime.com/this_cherry_pie_bubble_up_casserole_is_everything_you_could_ever_want_in_a_dessert

I'm so tempted! Cherry is my favorite fruit dessert filling, but the suggested options for chocolate, caramel, pecans, etc. sound even better. This does not, however, align with my weight loss plans. ;)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Thank you, SSE!  Good tips indeed.  I called the dentist first thing this am.  He called in a scrip for a mouth rinse with numbing properties he said would help.  It did.  I must have looked like a crazed druggie guzzling my mouth rinse out of the bottle in the parking lot and spitting the used rinse out my car window - lol - but I just couldn't wait another minute for relief.

I had been drinking warm, not hot, tea, but didn't have any Sleepy Time.  I picked that up at the store, too.

And thank YOU for the good wishes TT.

That rinse 'n spit image had to be something indeed!  lol  So glad you're feeling better.

7 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

I'm so tempted! Cherry is my favorite fruit dessert filling, but the suggested options for chocolate, caramel, pecans, etc. sound even better. This does not, however, align with my weight loss plans. ;)

Sorry for tempting your sweet tooth!  Stick with it girlie~

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, SentimentalLady said:

I was just about to post the same thing.  It is just good business practice to avoid any negativity.  Certainly a new employer would not view it as a positive trait.  Which is why we sometimes have to be creative when asked why we left or are leaving the current job.

@lovemesomejoolery and other Y&R fans - Lily's twins!  WTH??

OMG!  I just watched that episode last night!  Silly, huh?

I'm starting to get bored with the show - they have to come up with some compelling storylines, or it's gonna be a long summer.  And I, for one, am not interested in storylines that involve teeny boppers!

7 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

I had a scary experience with a psycho coworker once. I had taken second job at a jewelry factory because me and the hubs had a lot of bills at the time.  5 hours a night putting earrings on their little display cards. The supervisor was a real bitch who was constantly on everybody's back to "Go faster! Go faster!"  The woman who sat next to me was already giving indications that she was a little 'off'.  (Mumbling to herself, rocking back and forth, pulling her eyelashes out...) How she ever even got hired, I'll never know. 

One night, she evidentially had enough of being told to go faster, because she suddenly stood up, threw a handful of earring cards at the supervisor and told her to go fuck herself. Which would have been funny, except for the fact that she followed it up with a threat to kill her.  She then stormed out of the building, shouting that she was going to come back with her gun and kill everybody.  The stupid-ass supervisor didn't even run after her and lock the door. Somebody else did. Somebody else had to call the police too because the supervisor just kept standing there with her mouth hanging open-- probably peeing in her pants. 

There was twenty of us working there and we were all petrified because we didn't know if the coworker kept her gun in her car or she had to go home to get it. Or if she was even serious. Thankfully, the police came right away and secured the place so we could get out of there safely.  When the owner of the factory was informed about what happened he laid off the entire night shift permanently and even kept the daytime shift home for a few days. They never did manage to find the coworker who'd made the threat-- she'd given a false address when she was hired. 

It was scary but every time I remember the supervisor's dumbfounded look-- I have to wonder if she ever dared to yell at anybody to "go faster" again! LOL. 

OMG! That's awful. I'm glad you are okay! 

You never know who you are working with or sitting next to. 

14 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

OMG!  I just watched that episode last night!  Silly, huh?

I'm starting to get bored with the show - they have to come up with some compelling storylines, or it's gonna be a long summer.  And I, for one, am not interested in storylines that involve teeny boppers!

Definitely.  When they first showed the daughter I thought she was the babysitter.  Now they are Reed's age?  Rapid age disease.  I am done with Noah, Tessa and Scott.

Lilly looks like her kids sibling and Cane's 3rd kid with their twins being aged. It was stupid to do it so soon with Lilly looking so young.

They were mentioning Robert Palmer in the main thread. I like his stuff as a solo singer but this one is a favorite too.

10 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

I had a scary experience with a psycho coworker once. I had taken second job at a jewelry factory because me and the hubs had a lot of bills at the time.  5 hours a night putting earrings on their little display cards. The supervisor was a real bitch who was constantly on everybody's back to "Go faster! Go faster!"  The woman who sat next to me was already giving indications that she was a little 'off'.  (Mumbling to herself, rocking back and forth, pulling her eyelashes out...) How she ever even got hired, I'll never know. 

One night, she evidentially had enough of being told to go faster, because she suddenly stood up, threw a handful of earring cards at the supervisor and told her to go fuck herself. Which would have been funny, except for the fact that she followed it up with a threat to kill her.  She then stormed out of the building, shouting that she was going to come back with her gun and kill everybody.  The stupid-ass supervisor didn't even run after her and lock the door. Somebody else did. Somebody else had to call the police too because the supervisor just kept standing there with her mouth hanging open-- probably peeing in her pants. 

There was twenty of us working there and we were all petrified because we didn't know if the coworker kept her gun in her car or she had to go home to get it. Or if she was even serious. Thankfully, the police came right away and secured the place so we could get out of there safely.  When the owner of the factory was informed about what happened he laid off the entire night shift permanently and even kept the daytime shift home for a few days. They never did manage to find the coworker who'd made the threat-- she'd given a false address when she was hired. 

It was scary but every time I remember the supervisor's dumbfounded look-- I have to wonder if she ever dared to yell at anybody to "go faster" again! LOL. 

Holy going postal!  So sorry you had to experience that.  Stuff of nightmares for sure.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, zoemom said:

I am so glad we have this forum, I feel that you all our my friends.  I don't mean to sound pathetic, but since I moved here five years ago, I've not been able to make any non-internet friends, so I'm asking you all for some of your sage advice.

I have had a bit of an "upset" last Friday.  As some of you may know, I started working at a vet's practice on March 8th as a customer service rep (receptionist).  There are all sorts of procedures to learn, paperwork to complete, filing, scheduling appointments, taking phone calls, at times it can be very stressful.  I spent most of my career working in the "human side of healthcare", first in an orthopaedic practice and then as a buyer for Home Health care supplies and equipment.  I'm surprised how different a vet practice is.  There's a lot of stuff for my older MS brain to absorb (this was why I had to go on disability from my hospital job).  Add to the fact that I'm the oldest person there, the rest of the staff are in their 20's - 30's.  Initially my manager told me I was doing a good job (I was on a 60 day probation period).

However, at my 60 day review last Friday she told me that she didn't think I was catching on as "fast" as they needed, they gave me a couple of tips, (don't be so timid to assist, write up any procedure that confuses me, and I need to be more accurate/confident when counting the cash drawer at close).   I'm the first to admit that counting change/money is difficult for me (MS messes with counting ability and concentration and I have a bit of difficulty remembering client names/faces and some of the office procedures). 

I'm scheduled to work 1 to 7 pm the rest of the week, right now I'm feeling so anxious about going back there, its making me nauseous and I'm also very emotional (again another MS thing that tends to flare when I'm under stress).  I need the $$ that the job pays ($8.50/hr) and I need something to supplement my on SSDI, but can't earn more than $1040/mo.    I'm fairly certain that I'm going to be let go/fired at the end of the month - its too convenient and the end of the pay period.

I would appreciate any input from you ladies on how I can solider through the next to weeks.  I feel like bursting out in tears right now and haven't been able to eat for a couple of days now (not such a bad thing!)

Thanks in advance.

@zoemom - I don't know how I missed this, but I just wanted to add my show of support for you and what you're going through on your job.  I'm so very sorry and feel so badly for you.  Hang in there.  We're here almost at the end of the month now and I'll say a prayer for you that everything works out in your favor.  But no matter what happens, know that you do have people here who will listen and that care about what happens to you.  Hold your head high no matter what.  Sending you a big hug. 

As for scary incidents at work and psycho employes, I think I got out of my job situation just in the nick of time because there was a negative atmosphere that had started simmering for a long time.  Cost cutting measures, job cuts and no replacements, people having to pick up the slack with no compensation.  The morale of the whole place was deteriorating rapidly and ultimately there was a bankruptcy.   I wasn't faced with any psychos per se, but it felt like you could see it coming if things didn't change.  I was a casualty of the bankruptcy but luckily I had the years in to qualify for a pension and financially was able to leave that job and survive on my own.  Praise God.  My company made a comeback but I never felt the same loyalty or regard for them as I had for those 30 years prior but I'm still grateful for those solid years of employment - something I don't think you'll see much anymore.   I often wonder what the work environment is like nowadays.   

(edited)

I'm new to eating avocado, or maybe a better way to say it is, preparing it myself, that is.  I've eaten it when someone else has made it - guac, etc.

It's just me here, so what is the best way to store avocado - either just a whole half or when it's smooshed together to use later for toast.  Can you tell I'm a real novice here? (probably why I've never eaten it before - intimidated).  It's good at first cut, but always turns black before I have a chance to eat the leftovers.

Hep me.

Edited by Fishy
28 minutes ago, Fishy said:

I'm new to eating avocado, or maybe a better way to say it is, preparing myself, that is.  I've eaten it when someone else has made it - guac, etc.

It's just me here, so what is the best way to store avocado - either just a whole half or when it's smooshed together to use later for toast.  Can you tell I'm a real novice here? (probably why I've never eaten it before - intimidated).  It's good at first cut, but always turns black before I have a chance to eat the leftovers.

Hep me.

Long time avocado aficionado here!   For a half avocado, leave the pit in the half you're going to store, put some lemon juice on it, cover it with plastic wrap making sure the wrap covers the surface of the avocado, wrap tightly.  It will only keep for about a day and may still turn a bit brown.

For smooshed avocado or quac, save the pit and put it in the smooshed leftovers, again spray with lemon juice, take your plastic wrap and place it on the surface of the avocado/quac.  Then cover the bowl tightly with another piece of wrap or an airtight lid.  It will keep about a day.

The key is to not let any air come into contact with the avocado, hence making sure the wrap is in contact with the surface.  It doesn't matter what you do, it will only keep about a day.  I usually eat mine all in one sitting since it doesn't keep well.

5 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Long time avocado aficionado here!   For a half avocado, leave the pit in the half you're going to store, put some lemon juice on it, cover it with plastic wrap making sure the wrap covers the surface of the avocado, wrap tightly.  It will only keep for about a day and may still turn a bit brown.

For smooshed avocado or quac, save the pit and put it in the smooshed leftovers, again spray with lemon juice, take your plastic wrap and place it on the surface of the avocado/quac.  Then cover the bowl tightly with another piece of wrap or an airtight lid.  It will keep about a day.

The key is to not let any air come into contact with the avocado, hence making sure the wrap is in contact with the surface.  It doesn't matter what you do, it will only keep about a day.  I usually eat mine all in one sitting since it doesn't keep well.

^^^ This.  But lime juice works just as well (and I find it tastier).  :-)

Thanks for the avocado tips.  I'm such a nerd about not wanting to eat the same thing two days in a row, but I guess when it comes to avocado, I'm going to have to change my ways.  I have a 1/2 in the refrigerator as we speak wrapped tightly in plastic, but naturally, I threw out the pit.  I'll know better next time.  :-)

Thanks for those tips.  I knew about the pit, but the lime/lemon juice is good to know.  And not to expect more than a day's storage.  That has been my experience.

Another cooking question:. How in the world do you "grate" an onion?  It fell apart as I grated and it wouldn't come off the grater!  I gave up and finely-chopped it.  

20 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Thanks for those tips.  I knew about the pit, but the lime/lemon juice is good to know.  And not to expect more than a day's storage.  That has been my experience.

Another cooking question:. How in the world do you "grate" an onion?  It fell apart as I grated and it wouldn't come off the grater!  I gave up and finely-chopped it.  

I think if you keep the root intact it might work better. I always slice the two ends of the onion and then cut it in half and either do a quick chop or throw it in the food processor. I have no patience for chopping onions or garlic. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I always finely chop them.  Grating has never worked for me either.  I can hear the onion saying, "Oh, hell to the no!"  ?

Speaking of cooking, I tried something new (to me) today and it seems to have come out well.  I found a tiny pork loin at the store yesterday, which is rare as they are usually big and I am the only one eating at Casa DH.  I put it in the crock pot with a little bit of warm water and let it cook all day.  I then shredded it with a fork and put it back in the crock for a while with some smoky bbq sauce.  Now I have just the right amount of pulled pork for sandwiches for one eater. Yay for me.  lol.

I would ordinarily have some corn on the cob with it, but my teeth are still sensitive so will go with something soft.

Anyone cooking something fabu for the holiday?

As for grating onion, I pop it into my ancient Osterizer (wedding gift) blender and hit the "grate" button.  Seems to do the trick with minimal frustration.

I always cut the corn off of the cob when I make it. I started this when my son got braces a few years ago and it was easier to eat without the corn getting stuck in the teeth, so I just eat it that way now. 

I've also cut it off the cob before cooking it and sautéed it in butter with salt and pepper. Very tasty. 

(edited)
18 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Damn.  Now I want corn on the cob...

Me, too! I once had a large vegetable garden and the difference in taste between fresh-picked corn vs store bought was the biggest revelation to me. That and beets. I think it's something about the natural sugar content decreasing as soon as they're picked.

Edited by Lord Donia
4 hours ago, Thumper said:

I have one of those pull chopper thingys from QVC and ever since I got it I never do it by hand anymore - works great!

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I always cut the corn off of the cob when I make it. I started this when my son got braces a few years ago and it was easier to eat without the corn getting stuck in the teeth, so I just eat it that way now. 

I've also cut it off the cob before cooking it and sautéed it in butter with salt and pepper. Very tasty. 

Wow! Good on you!  that's something I've never done.  It's always looked intimidating to me.  My luck I'd cut a finger off.  I just eat it off the cobb and just never look anyone in the face saving them the godawful  image of seeing me with corn stuck in every tooth.!!   lol!  

7 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What leftovers? Are there supposed to be leftovers? LOL

Thanks for the avocado tips! Tasty.

I tried grating and onion once. I like the taste of onions better using the food processor. I do that all the time now.

50 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I've found that a steak knife works great. I think the teeth help compared to a chef knife or other smooth knives. 

1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

Me, too! I once had a large vegetable garden and the difference in taste between fresh-picked corn vs store bought was the biggest revelation to me. That and beets.

The hubby likes to garden when he is home, but he can't quite master corn. The pieces usually end up the size of a pickle. We usually stick to tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. 

Me, too! I once had a large vegetable garden and the difference in taste between fresh-picked corn vs store bought was the biggest revelation to me. That and beets.

And tomatoes!  Fortunately, I live in corn country and can buy corn at multiple roadside stands and farmers markets.

(edited)
30 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

What leftovers? Are there supposed to be leftovers? LOL

Thanks for the avocado tips! Tasty.

I tried grating and onion once. I like the taste of onions better using the food processor. I do that all the time now.

LOL!  I can't help it but my weight watchers training sets in.....

Edited by Fishy
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I always finely chop them.  Grating has never worked for me either.  I can hear the onion saying, "Oh, hell to the no!"  ?

I don't grate either, I chop. If I want to do the chopping myself, I cut the onion in half leaving the root end on. Then I put the cut side down on my cutting board, make several horizontal cuts, then several vertical cuts and end up with a nice chop. If I'm not in the mood to chop, I use my Genius Nicer Dicer which does a pretty nice job.

3 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Speaking of cooking, I tried something new (to me) today and it seems to have come out well.  I found a tiny pork loin at the store yesterday, which is rare as they are usually big and I am the only one eating at Casa DH.  I put it in the crock pot with a little bit of warm water and let it cook all day.  I then shredded it with a fork and put it back in the crock for a while with some smoky bbq sauce.  Now I have just the right amount of pulled pork for sandwiches for one eater. Yay for me.  lol.

I would ordinarily have some corn on the cob with it, but my teeth are still sensitive so will go with something soft.

Anyone cooking something fabu for the holiday?

As for grating onion, I pop it into my ancient Osterizer (wedding gift) blender and hit the "grate" button.  Seems to do the trick with minimal frustration.

We're having a cookout for 12 people. Everyone is bringing something. Mr. Booney will do London Broil and BBQ chicken wings on the grill, and I'm making potato salad and a nacho appetizer. Others are bringing side dishes like macaroni salad, broccoli salad, as well as a fresh fruit platter, rolls, and desserts. With this group there's always a ton of good food.

We did a small cookout with my parents. Hotdogs and hamburgers, baked beans and potato salad. 

I'm in the mood for BBQ chicken, so I'll throw a few legs in the slow cooker later this week and pick up fresh corn on the cob to go with it. It will be an easy "set it and forget it" weeknight dinner. We still have a few more weeks of school since we're on a traditional schedule (they won't go back until the day after Labor Day). 

This season seems to be an exceptional one for sweet corn. It is way too early for the local version here in CT but wherever what is being sold in the supermarket is grown now is amazing. Super sweet especially when grilled.

Another long term Y&R fan here. Hate the new Ashby twins but they always seem to want a teenage storyline for the summer months. Faith will probably be next.

i love this forum. The tone is fun, friendly and respectful.

44 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

I buy the smaller avocados you can find them At Trader Joe's no worries about leftovers 

otherwise store the other half with the pit and if you have that sticky glad wrap it's perfect for keeping it fresh 

I'll have to look for those smaller avocados at Trader Joe's. I love putting slices of avocado in sandwiches.

I made the potato salad for our cookout this afternoon. Looks like it may be a cook-in since it's rainy this morning here in the Philly area. Supposedly the rain will be mostly out of here this morning - I'm hoping! Anyway if any one likes to make potato salad, I do mine with a little extra ingredient that's really tasty. After you boil the potatoes and let them cool, cut them up, add some salt, pepper and diced onion, and then add some Italian dressing (I use Kraft Zesty Italian). For 4-5 lbs. of potatoes, I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the dressing. Then let it sit for a few hours in the fridge (I usually let it sit overnight). The Italian dressing absorbs into the potatoes and adds great flavor while keeping the potato salad moist. Then I add diced celery, chopped hard boiled eggs and mayo. Really yummy!

Why Why Why when we've just had a long weekend do people have to cut their grass, run their blowers to high heaven on Memorial Day???  Ticks me off.

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

I buy the smaller avocados you can find them At Trader Joe's no worries about leftovers 

otherwise store the other half with the pit and if you have that sticky glad wrap it's perfect for keeping it fresh 

I just stored a half without the pit but with lemon juice and wrapped in plastic wrap.  It didn't brown up too badly but I'm going to buy those smaller ones from now on.  I've seen them.

I had my avocado with lime juice (don't recall who suggested that) but it was yummy!!  plus I put salsa on it too.  Loved it.

I might try that potato salad trick of yours, @Booney.  It sounds good.  Years ago, someone told me to replace a little of the mayo in my potato or pasta salad with sour cream.  I love it.  It is very subtle in taste and helps keep the salad from hetting watery if it has to sit awhile.

I would like to wish everyone here a peaceful and reflective Memorial Day..

47 minutes ago, Booney said:

I'll have to look for those smaller avocados at Trader Joe's. I love putting slices of avocado in sandwiches.

I made the potato salad for our cookout this afternoon. Looks like it may be a cook-in since it's rainy this morning here in the Philly area. Supposedly the rain will be mostly out of here this morning - I'm hoping! Anyway if any one likes to make potato salad, I do mine with a little extra ingredient that's really tasty. After you boil the potatoes and let them cool, cut them up, add some salt, pepper and diced onion, and then add some Italian dressing (I use Kraft Zesty Italian). For 4-5 lbs. of potatoes, I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the dressing. Then let it sit for a few hours in the fridge (I usually let it sit overnight). The Italian dressing absorbs into the potatoes and adds great flavor while keeping the potato salad moist. Then I add diced celery, chopped hard boiled eggs and mayo. Really yummy!

sounds yummy to me - thanks for sharing   :-)

5 minutes ago, Denver Hoosier said:

I might try that potato salad trick of yours, @Booney.  It sounds good.  Years ago, someone told me to replace a little of the mayo in my potato or pasta salad with sour cream.  I love it.  It is very subtle in taste and helps keep the salad from hetting watery if it has to sit awhile.

I would like to wish everyone here a peaceful and reflective Memorial Day..

Yum - adding some sour cream sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it.

I'll add my best wishes to all on this Memorial Day. For all those who have lost loved ones in service to our country, we remember them, and honor them and you.

(edited)
13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

And tomatoes!  Fortunately, I live in corn country and can buy corn at multiple roadside stands and farmers markets.

If I were there, I would stop at every one just to see what they have!

We have a big farmer's market here, yet it's not the same thing. It's a big organized market close to downtown. No parking and lots of walking. I wouldn't mind that really but since they are more organized they've raised their prices. I love the idea of helping local farmers but the bigger farms are crushing the smaller farmer. It kind of takes away from the quaint shopping experience of a roadside stand.

In the 90's I went to a family reunion in Alabama. Several of us had a blast at a roadside stand buying strawberries, zucchini, yellow squash, corn, onions and tomatoes. Tons of delicious fun. 

Edited by TexasTiffany

With all the talk about food, I'm talking myself into making a trip to Walmart. I had planned hot dogs and steamed veggies today, but now I'm feeling like rotisserie chicken and potato salad, if they're open. I hope I will be dressed properly. I've got unfaded ankle jeans without holes and a t shirt that isn't 3 sizes too small nor endorses any brewery. 

2 hours ago, Virgo Gal said:

This season seems to be an exceptional one for sweet corn. It is way too early for the local version here in CT but wherever what is being sold in the supermarket is grown now is amazing. Super sweet especially when grilled.

Another long term Y&R fan here. Hate the new Ashby twins but they always seem to want a teenage storyline for the summer months. Faith will probably be next.

i love this forum. The tone is fun, friendly and respectful.

I know what you mean. You don't have to worry about being verbally crucified over hand-chopping vs. food processor.

Memorial-Day-Thank-You.jpg

2 hours ago, hummingbird said:

I'm thinking Mark Charles M had something for cut fruit/veggies.  Like a stretchy silicone or something that you put over the cut side.  

1 hour ago, Booney said:

I do mine with a little extra ingredient that's really tasty. 

Sounds awesome!

59 minutes ago, Fishy said:

Why Why Why when we've just had a long weekend do people have to cut their grass, run their blowers to high heaven on Memorial Day???  Ticks me off.

2 hours ago, hummingbird said:

I am also aggravated by this.  I'm actually aggravated by the commercial equipment that pervades my "empty nester" neighborhood on a normal week, so the holidays really bug me.  That stuff is so damn loud!  Sounds like airplanes taking off and landing.  Because we're in a sub where everyone contracts their own lawn service (or does their own like me), we have it nearly every day of the week.  I know, 1st world problem, but still.

3 hours ago, hummingbird said:

I buy the smaller avocados you can find them At Trader Joe's no worries about leftovers.

Avocados are one of those foods that I like in certain states but not others -- eg., tomato soup good/tomato juice bad, raw carrots good/cooked carrots bad, guacamole super good/sliced avocado bad. I've started buying prepared guac in those vacuum sealed bags in the deli section. Schwan's delivery also has a really good fresh version. Whatever the manufacturers have done, the prepared versions don't really turn brown after you unseal them, so that might be another option for the mashed stuff.

Does anyone have a good meatloaf recipe? Mine always turns out tasty enough, but tough. When I order it in a restaurant it's always much tenderer. Is it a higher ratio of breadcrumbs? I've tried making mine with and without eggs, adding extra sauce to the mix, adding shredded zucchini, etc. Or maybe I'm just overbaking it, but the thought of undercooked meatloaf is yug.

Re lawn maintenance, I live in a retirement community where the houses are fairly close together and everybody hires it out. I get hit with the noise from those commercial mowers and leaf blowers five danged days a week, from neighbors to the left, right, two in the back, and my own. What are the odds that they all come on different days!? Yeesh. At least it's quick as they zip in, run over and break the sprinkler heads, and do nominal edging.

It could be a weather thing. We've had rain almost every day last week. I had to wait a week to cut my grass because the ground was soggy and every time I thought about cutting the grass, it rained again. 

My mom must have read my mind about the BBQ chicken. She called me this morning and told me that she decided to make BBQ chicken for dinner today. Our Memorial Day menu will be BBQ chicken, corn on the cob and leftover potato salad from yesterday. She has an inground pool that they opened last week, so the boys will get their first swim of the year. 

2 hours ago, Booney said:

I do the Italian dressing trick also, then when cool I stir in a mixture of mayo and sour cream with chopped cukes. I don't add eggs because I hate them, but sometimes a little crumbled bacon. Love potato salad !

For a different kind of potato salad, try this. 2 1/2 lbs red potatoes (cut into cubes with skin on) 1/2 chopped onion, 2-3 cloves of garlic (chopped). Mix with olive oil and bake at 375 for about 30-35 minutes until tender but not soggy. I use a large, half sheet pan. Let cool, then mix with cooked/crumbled bacon, sliced green onions and Ranch dressing. Put in fridge for a couple of hours. Everyone I've made it for has absolutely loved it. Just something different. I hope you'll try it and let me know how you liked it!

@Lord Donia, my meatloaf always comes out great but I don't have exact quantities. Roughly a cup of flavored breadcrumbs to about 1.5 pounds of ground beef (85%) lean plus an egg, a chopped red pepper, a medium chopped onion and a couple of tablespoons of Adobe seasoning (garlic powder can substitute) and topped with ketchup.  Bake at a 375 degree oven for about an hour. I think the red pepper instead of green makes the difference.

Mine always turns out tasty enough, but tough.

Ground beef mixes become tough when you overwork them.  For me, I mix mine with a bit of ground pork, and the usual ingredients, but just try not to over mix, and you'll probably notice a difference.  Same with meatballs.