Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Re bras -- I'm a 44DD and actually have a couple of those expensive $125 hydraulic structures that I had fitted at a schmancy lingerie boutique with a French name and which I freely admit make me look SO MUCH better.

But this is the unsupportive, baggy shit I wear 99% of the time. Because it's comfortable!

bra.JPG

I have one just like that. It really is comfortable.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

I am more concerned about the neighbors seeing me with my hair rolled up (a fearsome sight)

This made me laugh because I can't tell you how many times I've seen the neighbor behind me watering her garden in what look like juice can size rollers.  Hee!  I usually have a headful of larger Velcro rollers myself, but I've only ever gone as far as my front door and stuck my head out to get the paper. 

Edited by Fishy
6 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Do you make your bed every day, too!?

You're a better man than I am, Coffee (Gunga Din) Cup! I worked remotely the last 11 years before retirement and the only time I ever got dressed was if I had a video meeting. And then it was only from the waist up.

My condolences on losing your moms, @walnutqueen and @Jaded. It sounds like you both have a lot of loving and funny memories.

I do (she says, raising her hand sheepishly). I confess that I'm a neatnik, so I like a made bed and everything in their place.

Condolences to all on the loss of your parents.  I was thinking of my dad this morning, who died on this date many many years ago when I was 13.  I was very much a daddy's girl and losing him was a blow from which I have never totally recovered.  The death of a parent hits hard and lasts long.

I am not a neatnik by anyone's definition, but that only extends to clutter.  I clean thoroughly and often and never go to bed unless all dishes are washed or in the dishwasher, rinsed and ready to go.  But clutter really doesn"t bother me until it gets to the point of impeding my activities.  Once it meets that critical threshhold, I dedicate myself to picking it all up, organizing, and putting it away.  Then it starts accumulating again until the next critical threshhold is reached.

It is probably a good thing I live alone.  lol

18 hours ago, kittygirl said:

I totes agree. Ree is too much honey for a dime for me. Watched a while but then was just , "oh shut up woman. You're married to a millionaire and are a millionaire yourself. You have no idea what most people face". In fact I don't watch food network at all. 

The older I get the less patience I have for bs.

I hear you.   I mostly watch Create and other PBS stations.

17 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I get stabby at the mere mention of "Pioneer Woman".  I clicked on her show for ONE hot minute and wanted to kill, kill, kill her.  In fact, if you are a PW devotee, we may just need to part ways now, before it gets all ugly.  :-D

So you don't like her then?  Lol!  Not a devotee. Just catch her when Y & R is on commercial.  I agree about her completely downplaying how much money they have.  

Agree with Hummingbird about homeschooling.  You gave to get out there and meet people that are different from you.  What a shock when they go to college.   Her kids do seem o.k. so far though.  I don't know if it because they "live in the middle of  nowhere" that they homeschool. 

I like the way you disagree.  Humor is important .

16 hours ago, kittygirl said:

I will go outside or walk across the street in pjs , no bra. My rule is if I'm in the car I have on bra and clothes. Braless during those decades was one thing...in those days they pointed up and out. Now they are down and down.

What Kittygirl said.  If I go off my property I am dressed.  If I am braless I put on something over my shirt to camouflage if I have to go out to the sidewalk.  No headlights, just saggage of my baggage.

14 hours ago, Thumper said:

I rarely go bra-less -- I don't like them bouncing and flinging around.  It's annoying and uncomfortable.  I don't wear a bra to sleep in unless we have overnight guests.  At home, I wear "loose" bras.  If I am going anywhere, I usually strap on the old underwire, unless I'm going for a quick trip to Target or the grocery store and I'm wearing something thick and loose like a sweatshirt.

But I've always had body issues and am very self-conscious, so there ya go!  :D

I love the 'flinging' visual!  I can relate.  I could put an eye out.

(edited)

I'm getting very nervous about my mother.  She's 96 and in a nursing home; one of the aides just called me to say Mom said she feels congested and can't breathe too well, so they're going to do blood tests and whatnot.  Every time the phone rings I'm expecting dire news and don't know how I will cope....

My anxiety levels are through the roof.  I'm trying to "let go and let God" -- all of that -- but am fearful of what my physical and emotional reactions will be when the end comes.  I know she's old and has outlasted all her siblings, but I'm sure it will still be a shock.

Edited by Bronx Babe
I need to pretend I'm a strong Scorpio and not an on-the-cusp Libra

Went through that feeling last week when my dear mom (92) was in the hospital, so I understand completely, Bronx Babe.  I knew her time could come at any moment, but when it came that close, I did not feel ready.  (She's okay; recovering.). Hugs.

51 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm getting very nervous about my mother.  She's 96 and in a nursing home; one of the aides just called me to say Mom said she feels congested and can't breathe too well, so they're going to do blood tests and whatnot.  Every time the phone rings I'm expecting dire news and don't know how I will cope....

My anxiety levels are through the roof.  I'm trying to "let go and let God" -- all of that -- but am fearful of what my physical and emotional reactions will be when the end comes.  I know she's old and has outlasted all her siblings, but I'm sure it will still be a shock.

So sorry to read this. I'm hoping for the best. 

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Went through that feeling last week when my dear mom (92) was in the hospital, so I understand completely, Bronx Babe.  I knew her time could come at any moment, but when it came that close, I did not feel ready.  (She's okay; recovering.). Hugs.

I'm glad she's okay. 

1 hour ago, Bronx Babe said:

So sad for this news.  Carpe is right; now matter how old we - and our parents - are, we are never ready for this.  Sending you love and hugs ?

@Bronx Babe.  I'm sorry to hear that your mother is not doing well.  Please know that we will be here for you.  Think of all that your mother has been through and then you will know that you can make it through this.  You will do it for your Mom.  Sending you hugs and positive energy. 

16 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Speaking of the 70s, I can't tell you how glad I am that we didn't have the Internet and social media back then. When we did dumb shit, only our circle of friends knew about it. It didn't get posted on a global platform for the whole world to gawk at. We had privacy.

Yes, when a group of friends got drunk and decided to go for a midnight swim, no one filmed my epic failure at climbing the fence and posted it on YouTube. :)

3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Thinking of you, @Bronx Babe. Sending positive thoughts to you and your mom. As was said upthread, we're all here for you.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm getting very nervous about my mother. 

No amount of mental imagery really prepares you for the moment.  Depending on her overall health and well being, it may come as a moment of relief, to be followed be a surreal few days.  I wish for the best outcome for her, and that you are able to reach some calm as you navigate through this difficult time.  Be well. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

Can someone tell me the brand of bra pictured upthread?  I can't remember who posted it.  I was wondering if it is the bamboo one I have seen on tv.  I have some JMS and fruit of the loom ones from Walmart that are more comfortable than Genie but I would like to try a front closure.  Thanks.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, SentimentalLady said:

Can someone tell me the brand of bra pictured upthread?  I can't remember who posted it.  I was wondering if it is the bamboo one I have seen on tv.  I have some JMS and fruit of the loom ones from Walmart that are more comfortable than Genie but I would like to try a front closure.  Thanks.

There are several sources. The brand of the bra is Glamorise, style no. 1803, also listed as no. 15650. "Glamorise Complete Comfort Front Close Bra"

https://www.herroom.com/glamorise-1803-complete-comfort-front-close-bra.shtml This one is 80% nylon, 20% spandex. It's the one I have. I like nylon because it dries fast when you've gotten sweaty. $31.00

https://www.herroom.com/glamorise-1908-complete-comfort-cotton-t-back-bra.shtml Similar design except it has a T-back, style no. 1908, in 60% cotton, 30% spandex, 10% nylon. "Glamorise Complete Comfort Cotton T-Back Bra"  Sale $28.00

Google Shopping search shows this bra is also available from Shoes.com, J.C. Penney, Walmart, Evine, EssentialApparel.com, Kohl's, Brayola, and Lady Grace. Prices range from $28.00 to about $35.00.

Edited by Coffeecup
9 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Condolences to all on the loss of your parents.  I was thinking of my dad this morning, who died on this date many many years ago when I was 13.  I was very much a daddy's girl and losing him was a blow from which I have never totally recovered.  The death of a parent hits hard and lasts long.

I am not a neatnik by anyone's definition, but that only extends to clutter.  I clean thoroughly and often and never go to bed unless all dishes are washed or in the dishwasher, rinsed and ready to go.  But clutter really doesn"t bother me until it gets to the point of impeding my activities.  Once it meets that critical threshhold, I dedicate myself to picking it all up, organizing, and putting it away.  Then it starts accumulating again until the next critical threshhold is reached.

It is probably a good thing I live alone.  lol

yeah - what is it about clutter?? - it's sooo pervasive.  I try and try and try to not let it accumulate, but it always does.  But I think if I lived with someone I'd be better at it - living alone I just let it go and hope and pray no one will just drop by.   lol!!

(edited)

My Mom went sort of suddenly (stroke) and she never woke up but I think she knew what she was doing because she left us on HER Mother's date of death.  Her mom probably walked her out of this world.

No way is a good way and I think you're never prepared ever no matter how much you think you are or what the circumstances are. 

Hugs to those of you dealing with this decidedly difficult aspect of life. 

Edited by Fishy

I agree that there's no way to really prepare yourself for the death of a parent. My dad was taken to a hospice near the end, but I was still stunned and numb when he died. My mom had been wasting away in a nursing home, and she'd even said she thought it was her time to go, but her death hit me hard too. Rationally, I knew they were dying, but emotionally I just couldn't accept that they were leaving.

They've been gone for years, but I think of both of them every day. I am glad to have some mementoes from their homes. I will be forever grateful for the skills they taught me. My dad taught me home handyman skills, and my mother taught me to sew. Both of them taught me gardening.

On a lighter note, neither of them could teach me to cook. I'm a flop at cooking.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, Fishy said:

Thanks for the avocado tips.  I'm such a nerd about not wanting to eat the same thing two days in a row, but I guess when it comes to avocado, I'm going to have to change my ways.  I have a 1/2 in the refrigerator as we speak wrapped tightly in plastic, but naturally, I threw out the pit.  I'll know better next time.  :-)

@CarpeDiem54 gave good advice.....another thing I do is take the half I don't eat, cut it up and mix with halved cherry tomatoes.  Then, I put either lemon or lime juice, whatever I have on hand, and a little olive oil - or if I'm really lazy, a splash of vinaigrette dressing - mix it all up and you have a salad you can eat later.  It doesn't turn brown.

Still, only lasts about a day - the acid will break down the avocado and make it mushy when prepared this way. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, Thumper said:

Thanks for those tips.  I knew about the pit, but the lime/lemon juice is good to know.  And not to expect more than a day's storage.  That has been my experience.

Another cooking question:. How in the world do you "grate" an onion?  It fell apart as I grated and it wouldn't come off the grater!  I gave up and finely-chopped it.  

I've used a microplaner to grate the onion......but I like the idea of putting it in a food processor!

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I think if you keep the root intact it might work better. I always slice the two ends of the onion and then cut it in half and either do a quick chop or throw it in the food processor. I have no patience for chopping onions or garlic. 

Awesome idea!

3 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

I'm a flop at cooking.

My mother once asked me, "What are you burning now?"  :)

My mother raised me to work. The most valuable gift she gave me.

I've been watching Food Network tonight.....

They've had Food Network Star commercials every break that have Chompers (Gaida) and Bobby Flay in them. Giada annoys me as much as Ree and I'd like to lock those two in a secret room somewhere to keep them off FN for a long time. Fakey McFakersons on different ends of the same scale.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

They've had Food Network Star commercials every break that have Chompers (Gaida) and Bobby Flay in them. Giada annoys me as much as Ree and I'd like to lock those two in a secret room somewhere to keep them off FN for a long time. Fakey McFakersons on different ends of the same scale.

For me, Giada bothers me more than Ree. Giada talks of her love for food all the while I'm looking at her size 0 self and I know she's lying to me. She probably takes 1 bite of food, says it was dinner, and she's done. She doesn't want to get her teeth dirty. I don't want to see her cleavage or her posing in the kitchen.

Ree cooks food I'm more likely to want to eat. I do watch her occasionally but it's only for the food. My life doesn't mimic hers. I'm not waiting for my millionaire cowboy hubby to come in from the back 40 and me holding a platter of pork chops when he walks in so I can get a pat on the head for being a good girl.

I'm in a sarcastic mood. I don't mean to poke too much fun at Ree. She seems like an okay lady. She's got a nice life going for her. I wonder what I would do if I were in her shoes. I'd make the most of that opportunity. I DO know I wouldn't be telling my girls there are special dishes "for the girls" which I immediately associate with a "diet" vibe. "It's girl's night... we're having a light dinner of sexist salad and pasta tonight." What a big turn off. I wish she'd drop that crap. Someone should remind her that women need protein in their diet, too. 

5 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

I agree that there's no way to really prepare yourself for the death of a parent. My dad was taken to a hospice near the end, but I was still stunned and numb when he died. My mom had been wasting away in a nursing home, and she'd even said she thought it was her time to go, but her death hit me hard too. Rationally, I knew they were dying, but emotionally I just couldn't accept that they were leaving.

They've been gone for years, but I think of both of them every day. I am glad to have some mementoes from their homes. I will be forever grateful for the skills they taught me. My dad taught me home handyman skills, and my mother taught me to sew. Both of them taught me gardening.

On a lighter note, neither of them could teach me to cook. I'm a flop at cooking.

This makes me laugh. My mother was a terrible cook. She would see a recipe like "Pepper Pot Soup" on the back of the McCormick's pepper canister and we'd be burning our mouths that night with soup. She'd boil broccoli for 30 minutes to make it tender. By that time, it smelled like garbage and tasted like garbage. I've mentioned this before that she died when I was 19. I didn't have to re-learn years of cooking, just learn from the beginning. Stir fry was a great discovery for me. Cook only for a few minutes which left the broccoli a vibrant delicious green, the carrots and everything else were tasty. No boiling veggies until flies were hovering the pot.

I've got several horrible memories of meals gone wrong. She liked to cook a big pot of white rice, throw in whole hot dogs, a can of pineapple, a can of tomato soup, and add a cup of ketchup. I've never made that for myself. 

My mother had a knack for leaving something out of a recipe or substituting an ingredient that was questionable. One Thanksgiving the dressing was particularly bland. Turns out she forgot to add the bowl of onions, spices, and cornbread to the mixture. We had wet bread paste with turkey. She baked a pudding cake in the oven but forgot to add the cake part. We had soup in a pan. Chocolate pies would never set up, she left out the thickening ingredients. Many times the flavoring, salt, sugar, something important would be left out. She could do lots of things. Cooking wasn't among one of her achievements. I learned how to cook from watching the food network. 

Edited by TexasTiffany

Regarding the passing on of parents - A friend of mine used to say that no one has got your back like your parents, no matter how old you are. I always liked that. Sometimes it can be true or more of a figurative rather than a literal level. Maybe it is not true for everyone of course. But that idea can sort of be preserved or presented moving forward to new generations. My friend had lost her husband suddenly, and both parents in less than 5 years. That was tough. 

Lately I've noticed stores (supermarket, cvs, etc.) offering discounts when you use their app. Only the app. Then I guess you bring up their app while in the store and they scan your phone? I don't have a smart phone. Kinda feel that isn't right for stores to do this. Am I missing something?

Just wanted to join the chorus and say that we are thinking of you, @Bronx Babe, and are here for you to talk to if needed.  I know what is ahead of you won't be easy.  My experience was different, in that both parents died young after lengthy illnesses and both deaths came as a blessing.  It was tough finding myself an orphan at the age of 21 and I most regret never getting to know my parents on an adult-to-adult basis.  But I can appreciate the apprehension you must be under and how you probably cringe every time the phone rings unexpectedly.  Be strong when you can, and when you can't feel free to lean on this caring group of friends.

20 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm so very sorry this is happening. I know it is horrible seeing your dear mom go through this. You will always know that you were there for her now. It is a comforting thought later on when you miss her so much. 

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

After her impending divorce was revealed a few years back, the interwebs were ablaze with allegations and innuendo of Giada's um, voracious appetite for male attention.  Bobby Flay was considered one of her chief paramours.  Couldn't help but notice that his separation followed soon after.  I wouldn't think there would be enough airspace for those two egos in any given room.

7 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

She could do lots of things. Cooking wasn't among one of her achievements. I learned how to cook from watching the food network. 

My mother is also a terrible/non-cook.  I learned more from my husband and mother-in-law, and yes, The Food Network. Back before TFN was a food game show.  

22 hours ago, Thumper said:

Thank you so much, @Thumper  So glad your Mom is doing well!

I got another call from the nursing home this morning -- Mom is a bit better; her blood pressure has risen from 90 to 120 and the congestion seems to be clearing up.  Of course things can change from second to second, but I am grateful right now....

22 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

So sorry to read this. I'm hoping for the best. 

Thanks so much, @TexasTiffany  -- Mom seems to be improving a bit, thank God.

21 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

So sad for this news.  Carpe is right; now matter how old we - and our parents - are, we are never ready for this.  Sending you love and hugs ?

Oh thank you so much, @Ladyrain  I'm trying to act like an adult but sometimes it's so difficult!

21 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

@Bronx Babe.  I'm sorry to hear that your mother is not doing well.  Please know that we will be here for you.  Think of all that your mother has been through and then you will know that you can make it through this.  You will do it for your Mom.  Sending you hugs and positive energy. 

Your words are a comfort, @SentimentalLady  Thank you.  I'm so glad to know all of you.

19 hours ago, Booney said:

Thinking of you, @Bronx Babe. Sending positive thoughts to you and your mom. As was said upthread, we're all here for you.

Thank you so much, @Booney  You and everybody here are treasures.

2 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Oh thank you so much, @Ladyrain  I'm trying to act like an adult but sometimes it's so difficult!

Oh sweetie, you don't have to act like an adult with us. This is your mom, losing my mom was the worst experience of my life. 

19 hours ago, kittygirl said:

Healing prayers and thoughts for your Mom BB. 

Bless you, @kittygirl  Much thanks.

Just now, Lady J said:

Oh sweetie, you don't have to act like an adult with us. This is your mom, losing my mom was the worst experience of my life. 

I'm glad you expressed this, @Lady J as I probably will fall to pieces. 

But then pick myself up and continue on with Life, as Mom will want me to.

18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

No amount of mental imagery really prepares you for the moment.  Depending on her overall health and well being, it may come as a moment of relief, to be followed be a surreal few days.  I wish for the best outcome for her, and that you are able to reach some calm as you navigate through this difficult time.  Be well. 

Thanks so much, @SuprSuprElevated  I realize everyone goes through this process at some point in their life, and I'm hoping to rise to the occasion when it happens.

16 hours ago, Fishy said:

My Mom went sort of suddenly (stroke) and she never woke up but I think she knew what she was doing because she left us on HER Mother's date of death.  Her mom probably walked her out of this world.

No way is a good way and I think you're never prepared ever no matter how much you think you are or what the circumstances are. 

Hugs to those of you dealing with this decidedly difficult aspect of life. 

Thank you, @Fishy  Your Mom's mom was her guiding light.

15 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

My thoughts are with you during this most difficult time, @Bronx Babe.

Oh, thank you so much, @walnutqueen  I'm very grateful for your support.

14 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

@Coffeecup, it sounds like both your parents raised you well.  They're looking down on you now with such pride!

As for the cooking, don't sweat it.  As long as you can boil water, turn on an oven and press a microwave button, it's okay!

3 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Just wanted to join the chorus and say that we are thinking of you, @Bronx Babe, and are here for you to talk to if needed.  I know what is ahead of you won't be easy.  My experience was different, in that both parents died young after lengthy illnesses and both deaths came as a blessing.  It was tough finding myself an orphan at the age of 21 and I most regret never getting to know my parents on an adult-to-adult basis.  But I can appreciate the apprehension you must be under and how you probably cringe every time the phone rings unexpectedly.  Be strong when you can, and when you can't feel free to lean on this caring group of friends.

@Denver Hoosier  Thank you so much for your kind words.  I'm very sorry you weren't able to have your parents around longer and experience Life's touchstones with them along the way.  But they will always live in your heart, eternal and timeless.

2 hours ago, imarocker said:

I'm so very sorry this is happening. I know it is horrible seeing your dear mom go through this. You will always know that you were there for her now. It is a comforting thought later on when you miss her so much. 

Thank you so much, @imarocker  I'd like to think I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances but it still doesn't seem like "enough" since I'm always very hard on myself.

58 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Thank you so much, @imarocker  I'd like to think I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances but it still doesn't seem like "enough" since I'm always very hard on myself.

Don't worry, you ARE doing your best. I think we all have some internal standards that are unrealistic. Losing a parent is one of the most painful things we experience in our lives, and probably most of us second-guess ourselves as to what we could have done differently. I know I did. Just remember that you love your mom and she loves you. What you do out of love is enough.

A friend of mine had a mother who was the airy, artistic type who couldn't be bothered to learn to cook, plus she always wandered off while things were on the stove. My friend said she didn't even know she liked food until she went to college.

6 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

A friend of mine had a mother who was the airy, artistic type who couldn't be bothered to learn to cook, plus she always wandered off while things were on the stove. My friend said she didn't even know she liked food until she went to college.

With my mom, I think she was so bad at it because she didn't like to do it.  To be fair, there are things that I don't like to do either, *cough*clean house*cough* and as a result, I'm not so good at it.  I don't blame her for not liking it, but she did push out a couple of kids so... lol.

Even now, she's in an "independent living" senior apt. complex, and has a full kitchen.  Can't even get her to microwave a lean cuisine or open a can of soup.  Thankfully, their meals are provided, because if she couldn't get food on-site, we would have to cook for her.

Add my late mom to the bad cook moms club. She did cook (thought didn't enjoy it), and her food wasn't terrible - just very bland and boring. I didn't taste food with herbs and spices in it (other than salt and pepper) until I lived away at college - that was like a whole new world of food for me! And it's not saying much that the college cafeteria's food tasted better than what I had at home.

My mother wasn't housewifey at all. Besides not liking to cook, she didn't love cleaning house, doing laundry, or other chores. She was a beautiful woman. In her younger days, she looked like Jean Harlow. She was born and raised in Norway, and came to the US in 1939 when she was 21, not knowing a word of English. She took night classes to learn English and eventually became a US citizen - I remember going with her to the state capitol when I was a little girl to watch her citizenship ceremony. She met my father in a vacuum cleaner factory that was converted to a war-time facility making airplane parts during WWII. She was always fascinated by Hollywood and its denizens. In another life, I could imagine her as a movie star. She passed almost 20 years ago - it's hard to believe that much time has gone by.

My Dearest Bronxoni -

You ARE enough! And you are doing everything you can for her.  

My eyes are tearing over and there is so much I want to say.  I am in the same boat with my mother at the moment.

Just know we all care about you and are sending much love and bear hugs. xo