Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:42 PM, Bronx Babe said:

I'm getting very nervous about my mother.  She's 96 and in a nursing home; one of the aides just called me to say Mom said she feels congested and can't breathe too well, so they're going to do blood tests and whatnot.  Every time the phone rings I'm expecting dire news and don't know how I will cope....

My anxiety levels are through the roof.  I'm trying to "let go and let God" -- all of that -- but am fearful of what my physical and emotional reactions will be when the end comes.  I know she's old and has outlasted all her siblings, but I'm sure it will still be a shock.

I am late to the table here, and hopefully will catch up on this thread and hear what happened. 

But know this - no matter how old we are, or how old our moms are, at the end of the day, they're our mom!  You miss them no less or no more than if she were 60 or 30........

I'm not a particularly religious person, but when my own mother was dying, a cool minister led me to The Book of Psalms in the bible. This one gave me comfort and continues to.  Hugs to you!

14045666_1399289153420838_3979052742213641417_n.jpg

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, Fishy said:

Well, thanks to you ladies here, me who NEVER goes braless outside, went braless outside today.  Go figure.  You can probably imagine I don't have much up top to worry about flinging thisaway or thataway.  I just happened to never put one on this morning (a bra that is) because I had no errands to run and just went outside and did my thing.... plus I was wearing a looser top.   Nothing like the power of suggestion..... I think I could be hypnotized pretty easily too....   lol!!

OMG!  That was YOU on the nightly news I heard about?

Michigan woman wears loose top and no bra while "doing her thing" and walking on the wild side!!

Ha! Ha!  Welcome to the dark side - I go braless around the house, too!  Quite liberating!!

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

I like watching his shows and always end up adding stuff to my wish list, but usually never buy.  I read the reviews and more often than not, reviewers complain about the stones looking nothing like they do on tv.  And I don't care for huge band rings either.  I also find his prices to be high and his stuff takes forever to be clearance priced.

Looks like my area is finally getting a Chick-Fil-A! Nothing official from them yet but the newspaper article today had location and details when it will open.  Reading the comments on the local news site, looks like I am not the only one who is excited about it coming and not having to drive 90 minutes down the thruway to the closest one in the neighboring state.

In summer, try their peach milkshakes.  To die for!

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Fishy said:

check your PMs

Will you PM me and let me know what happened?  I tried to PM you and couldn't.

18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't remember that show, but I loooved watching HGTV for the decorating & DYI shows.  Now it's House Hunters every damn time I turn it on.  *cough*stabby*cough*

And whatever happened to the "G" - garden - in HGTV?  Nothing at all like they used to have.

Now it's all house hunting, Carribean house hunting, Mexican house hunting, tiny house house hunting........

Give me my gardening shows back please!

(edited)
16 hours ago, opinions said:

Ugh......I used to love reading the posts.....but now I just can't get over how mean and nasty it all has become.  Certain posters are certain they know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...I come here for a laugh, and I feel now it really has become the jealous mean girls club especially in the shopping forum.  I, as a woman, just cringe reading ....the snark has turned sinister.   I wish instead of all the hatred, um, maybe just maybe we could offer some support or just remain silent and maybe show a little flipping grace....I have to say it shows one's character. 

rant over...I am out

oh.my.gosh, I totally agree and I'm no better - I totally get sucked in and then hate myself for how I sound.  Lately, I've been remembering something that Jen Coffey posted and it really stayed with me.   "You can't hang out with negative people and expect to live a positive life".   The ignore feature does work and depending on how you feel that particular day, you can always read what you've hidden.  I do that,  because I have days I can tolerate and then there are days I can't.  And another thing that bums me out is I seriously think there's a clique mentality that exists and if you don't participate well - who cares about you.  But like everything else it ebbs and flows.  Hang in there - you are not alone.

Edited by Fishy

I don't hate PW, but her entire show is just a rip-off of church potluck recipes. It also irritates me how she acts like she's a simple country girl when her father was a surgeon and she married into a multi-millionaire ranching family. All those Tory Burch tops and Le Creuset Dutch Ovens sure as hell weren't purchased with lemonade stand money. It's just so phony.

1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I am late to the table here, and hopefully will catch up on this thread and hear what happened. 

But know this - no matter how old we are, or how old our moms are, at the end of the day, they're our mom!  You miss them no less or no more than if she were 60 or 30........

I'm not a particularly religious person, but when my own mother was dying, a cool minister led me to The Book of Psalms in the bible. This one gave me comfort and continues to.  Hugs to you!

14045666_1399289153420838_3979052742213641417_n.jpg

Thank you so much for this, @lovemesomejoolery 

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Fishy said:

oh.my.gosh, I totally agree and I'm no better - I totally get sucked in and then hate myself for how I sound.  Lately, I've been remembering something that Jen Coffey posted and it really stayed with me.   "You can't hang out with negative people and expect to live a positive life".   The ignore feature does work and depending on how you feel that particular day, you can always read what you've hidden.  I do that,  because I have days I can tolerate and then there are days I can't.  And another thing that bums me out is I seriously think there's a clique mentality that exists and if you don't participate well - who cares about you.  But like everything else it ebbs and flows.  Hang in there - you are not alone.

Good advice - on this board and in general, life!

My husband sometimes sticks an imaginary remote from across the room, to turn me off when I am getting on his nerves.  First time he did that to me, I was irritated.....then I realized it was from some movie.....I wish I could remember, it was a Peter Sellers movie.

I am the worst when it comes to Shawn Killinger, and even I don't like how I sound sometimes when I rant over her stupidness.  I just watch less when she's on, so I don't come across way negatively.  I will apologize in advance if I seem like a total Beyotch.......I can't help myself with her. 

(edited)

Will you PM me and let me know what happened?  I tried to PM you and couldn't.

I tried but got an error msg that you 'can't receive messages' ?

Duh, never mind, was typing in the wrong username

Edited by Fishy
50 minutes ago, Fishy said:

Agree.

(edited)
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't hate PW, but her entire show is just a rip-off of church potluck recipes. It also irritates me how she acts like she's a simple country girl when her father was a surgeon and she married into a multi-millionaire ranching family. All those Tory Burch tops and Le Creuset Dutch Ovens sure as hell weren't purchased with lemonade stand money. It's just so phony.

This! And to me, she seems so phony. I think that under her sweet veneer lies a woman who would probably claw your eyes out if you got in her way.

3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Good advice - on this board and in general, life!

My husband sometimes sticks an imaginary remote from across the room, to turn me off when I am getting on his nerves.  First time he did that to me, I was irritated.....then I realized it was from some movie.....I wish I could remember, it was a Peter Sellers movie.

I am the worst when it comes to Shawn Killinger, and even I don't like how I sound sometimes when I rant over her stupidness.  I just watch less when she's on, so I don't come across way negatively.  I will apologize in advance if I seem like a total Beyotch.......I can't help myself with her. 

I think it's easy for any of us to get sucked into the negativity. I've done it too, but I've also tried to counteract it with the fun pics. Sometimes it's hard to draw the line between harmless snark and something darker.

Edited by Booney
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't pay much attention to her anymore. I rarely use the recipes from cooking shows, although I've gotten ideas from them. Rachael Ray drives me up the wall, but I miss her 30 Minute Meals show. 

I tried a new restaurant today. My mom had gift cards to the Cheesecake Factory, so my parents and I went there for lunch. It's a very nice place, but a little out of my price range. We were so full afterwards that we didn't even get any cheesecake. My mom has another gift card, so she mentioned going back one day and just getting cheesecake and drinks (soda). 

6 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I tried a new restaurant today. My mom had gift cards to the Cheesecake Factory, so my parents and I went there for lunch. It's a very nice place, but a little out of my price range. 

My husband and I went to Cheesecake Factory after not having been for several years and were shocked when our bill was close to $70 for two entrees, two sodas and an appetizer. I could see the bill being that high if we'd ordered alcoholic beverages and dessert, but we didn't. I don't know when they got so darned pricey.

5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My husband and I went to Cheesecake Factory after not having been for several years and were shocked when our bill was close to $70 for two entrees, two sodas and an appetizer. I could see the bill being that high if we'd ordered alcoholic beverages and dessert, but we didn't. I don't know when they got so darned pricey.

We usually go to the places that have entrees for around $9.99 (Red Robin, IHOP, Applebee's, etc) or Cicis or Chick-fil-A. My boys still eat Happy Meals at McDonald's (although it's more because they like to collect the toys).  Their lunch specials were insane. It was $14 for a fish and chips lunch special. I ended up with a crab cake sandwich for $15. It was over $50 for the three of us. The food was okay, but nothing extraordinary. We could have easily gotten the same thing at Long John Silvers and paid $30 less (and got the senior discount since my mom was paying). 

46 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I don't pay much attention to her anymore. I rarely use the recipes from cooking shows, although I've gotten ideas from them. Rachael Ray drives me up the wall, but I miss her 30 Minute Meals show. 

I tried a new restaurant today. My mom had gift cards to the Cheesecake Factory, so my parents and I went there for lunch. It's a very nice place, but a little out of my price range. We were so full afterwards that we didn't even get any cheesecake. My mom has another gift card, so she mentioned going back one day and just getting cheesecake and drinks (soda). 

I like the Cheesecake Factory but haven't been in a few years for two reasons:

1) they got rid of my favorite sandwich - shrimp club.  I used to get it with only two pieces of bread.  I loved that thing.

2) if I didn't get the shrimp club, I'd get the Southwest salad........but then one day, I was on the web and there was a slideshow of the highest calorie dishes in chain restaurants.  The usual ones from PF Chang and Olive Garden and TGI Fridays were on there, as well as my beloved salad.  I swear I can't figure out why it's so high in calories, probably the dressing, but suffice it to say, I'd have had less calorie intake if I'd just eat two Big Macs.  I'm not kidding.  I was floored. 

So I refuse to go anymore.  Plus, the hubs doesn't like it - he doesn't like any chain restaurant anymore.  And he thought it was pricey for what you actually got, which is very true.

52 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

One more thing - if you like bananas, the Banana Cream cheesecake is really good. But the last time I was there it was like $8.95 a slice.  For cheesecake!!

1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

We usually go to the places that have entrees for around $9.99 (Red Robin, IHOP, Applebee's, etc) or Cicis or Chick-fil-A. My boys still eat Happy Meals at McDonald's (although it's more because they like to collect the toys).  Their lunch specials were insane. It was $14 for a fish and chips lunch special. I ended up with a crab cake sandwich for $15. It was over $50 for the three of us. The food was okay, but nothing extraordinary. We could have easily gotten the same thing at Long John Silvers and paid $30 less (and got the senior discount since my mom was paying). 

One good thing about Cheescake Factory..they have a large menu, great for a super picky eater like me as I often struggle to find something I like and usually end up with chicken fingers or steak. The location here is in the biggest mall and generally has a 1-2 hour wait for tables on the weekend so I don't go often.  Red Robin, on the other hand is 5 minutes away and has my favorite burger and love their steak fries.  Chilis is also good with their $2 for $20 and other specials.  Still patiently waiting for Chick-Fil-A to come here.

34 minutes ago, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

One good thing about Cheescake Factory..they have a large menu, great for a super picky eater like me as I often struggle to find something I like and usually end up with chicken fingers or steak. The location here is in the biggest mall and generally has a 1-2 hour wait for tables on the weekend so I don't go often.  Red Robin, on the other hand is 5 minutes away and has my favorite burger and love their steak fries.  Chilis is also good with their $2 for $20 and other specials.  Still patiently waiting for Chick-Fil-A to come here.

I usually get salads at Red Robin. I used to like their Red White and Bleu salad, but they got rid of it. I've been ordering the Bonzai salad but with regular grilled chicken instead of the teriyaki chicken. I sometimes order a Caesar chicken wrap, but order it without the dressing and cheese as a plain grilled chicken wrap. The boys like the pretzel bites and I sometimes like to get the onion rings. 

54 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

you can take a slice of cheesecake to go from the Cheesecake Factory , just saying 

That was what we were going to do at first. My mom had a few gift cards (she retired last month). She used one gift card for the lunch and decided to save the other one for another day. There's a PF Changs in the same area, so we were joking that we'd go there for lunch (split a shrimp fried rice) and then walk over to the Cheesecake Factory for dessert. 

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

you can take a slice of cheesecake to go from the Cheesecake Factory , just saying 

That's what I usually do since I'm often too full to eat dessert there. My favorite is their Red Velvet Cheesecake -  yum!

1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I usually get salads at Red Robin. I used to like their Red White and Bleu salad, but they got rid of it. I've been ordering the Bonzai salad but with regular grilled chicken instead of the teriyaki chicken. I sometimes order a Caesar chicken wrap, but order it without the dressing and cheese as a plain grilled chicken wrap. The boys like the pretzel bites and I sometimes like to get the onion rings. 

I love Red Robin.  They used to have the best fried chicken.  I usually get the Cobb salad without cheese, except for the times the Fish and Chips or Clucks and Fries are screaming my name.  I love that you can still get a real malt there.

On 6/5/2017 at 0:58 PM, Booney said:

Me too, @Jaded. I loved Designing for the Sexes, which might be the one you remembered with the older man and his sketches. I also loved Designer's Challenge, Design on a Dime, Decorating Cents, and Designed to Sell. For the gardening shows, I liked Curb Appeal like you, and also Ground Breakers and Surprise Gardener. I never watch HGTV anymore because of all the real estate shows.

I think it was Designing for the Sexes.  I liked those other shows you mentioned too. I read Trading Spaces might be coming back to TLC. If it does they better have a bigger decorating budget. I remember those crappy rooms that Hildi Santo-Tomas used to "design". She'd do awful stuff to people's homes since she didn't have to live there. Doug Wilson was crazy too. Vern Yip usually did classic designs that actually looked and seemed livable.

(edited)

I frequently eat bagged salad kits from the supermarket and deliberately have never looked at the calorie counts. Those danged cream dressings! I also add grilled shrimp or chicken, plus shredded cheese and extra croutons if I have any. Sigh.

A friend treated me to Olive Garden last week because she had a gift card and I was shocked at the prices. $14.95 for a dish of pasta! We had an appetizer and it was $53 for the two of us. I always thought of them as a mid-priced chain but maybe I'm out of the loop for what passes as mid-priced these days. Same with Red Lobster, but at least their cheddar bay biscuits somewhat make up for it.

Edited by Lord Donia

I rarely shop at Old Navy (feeling too old and large), but I stopped in the other day just for fun.  I ended up buying a pair of "loose" printed pants and a top(black, of course) to go with it.  For $18, I figured I'd give the pants a try.  They aren't super wide like palazzo pants, but not fitted like a jean, either.   Stepping out of the box!  ???

Then I received a $10 coupon to come back!  So funny, since I probably haven't been in an Old Navy for 3-4 years.

We have all these damn casinos here and still don't have a Cheesecake Factory or Red Robin. Not going to New Orleans just to go to either of those places. Finally got a Steak & Shake but they opened in one of the casinos. Hoping they open an actual location outside of there. 

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

We have all these damn casinos here and still don't have a Cheesecake Factory or Red Robin. Not going to New Orleans just to go to either of those places. Finally got a Steak & Shake but they opened in one of the casinos. Hoping they open an actual location outside of there. 

You must be close to Gulfport. The hubby has mentioned the casinos near New Orleans. 

We have almost every chain imaginable, at least the national ones. When we travel, we usually try to go somewhere regional. Now that we've lost all of our Friendly's, we always have to go when we see one. We can get Friendly's ice cream at Food Lion and it's the same food that you can get at other restaurants, but it's just the novelty of going to Friendly's. When they were in the area, that was our go to place for birthdays. 

We have only had Steak n Shake for about two years. Prior to that, we'd always stop there if we saw one.  We don't get shakes very often, but I love their fries. 

I am just getting caught up on this thread again.  It is good to see @opinions posting again.  I hope there will be more.  I appreciate the thoughtful post from Fishy.  I understand the responses about ebb and flow.  I am not as optimistic.  I do use the ignore button.  I feel that the venom is always lurking and waiting for an opportunity.  There is a big difference betwen expressing dislike for someone and the posts that analyze every word that is said or every personal relationship of a particular host.  And now the followers of these people are being analyzed. That's way beyond snark.   

I haven't followed the Shopping Channel thread for about a year, ever since my Mum went into hospice, and thereafter rarely even did a quick driveby of jewelry shows.  Mum's forays into the Canadian shopping channel with funds I went into debt for that were supposed to be for her groceries gave me a new perspective on TV shopping in general, and my own past proclivities to indulge in jewelry and stained glass lamps in particular (back when I could afford such foolishness!).  When I saw the scads of her janky shopping channel jewelry the hospice folks sent to me, and noticed all the fine gold, silver, gemstone and unique collectible vintage jewelry I'd given her over the years was all missing, it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

But I do remember the Shopping Channel thread devolving into mayhem many times - so extreme that the Mods actually closed the thread on several occasions (sometimes for DAYS!).  I may miss the nice posters who were so kind & friendly to me (and am VERY glad to see many of you here), but I sure don't miss the hostility and negative tone I often witnessed.  Besides, the thread is just too cumbersome and moves much too quickly for me to keep up with the reading.   :-) 

I just saw a news story about a 97 year old woman who worked at a voting location in NJ all day today (it's primary Election Day in NJ). This is her eighth decade doing so! She said she loves helping people exercise their civic duty to vote. She also still works, part-time at a university. She looks wonderful! This is the kind of person who is a true inspiration, IMO. So much more worthy of our admiration than some tv personalities!

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

I rarely shop at Old Navy (feeling too old and large), but I stopped in the other day just for fun.  I ended up buying a pair of "loose" printed pants and a top(black, of course) to go with it.  For $18, I figured I'd give the pants a try.  They aren't super wide like palazzo pants, but not fitted like a jean, either.   Stepping out of the box!  ???

Then I received a $10 coupon to come back!  So funny, since I probably haven't been in an Old Navy for 3-4 years.

Thumper, I was at Old Navy on Saturday!  For some of the same reasons as you mentioned (the age/size issue) and also for me, distance - but was in the "big city" (LOL!) for the day and stop into the Old Navy, which is next to my favorite "big city" haunt DSW.  I found a couple of cheap, ($10/ea) gauzy tops - perfect for summer.  I didn't see any pants that would work for me, but sounds like you got some "cool" pants!  Old Navy is a great place for summer stuff, I also got a pair of $2 flip flops to wear around Casa Zoemom.  I didn't get any coupons though :-( !  Never mind, I did enjoy my trip regardless!

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

But I do remember the Shopping Channel thread devolving into mayhem many times - so extreme that the Mods actually closed the thread on several occasions (sometimes for DAYS!).  I may miss the nice posters who were so kind & friendly to me (and am VERY glad to see many of you here), but I sure don't miss the hostility and negative tone I often witnessed.  Besides, the thread is just too cumbersome and moves much too quickly for me to keep up with the reading.   :-) 

Nice to see you over "here" Walnut Queen!  There definitely are a few folks on the SC board that definitely need to have the last word.  Ignoring them has worked well for me.  Like LMSJ said up thread, that board is a slippery slope at times, and I sometimes slip, (mainly when it has to do with the always inappropriate Shawn Killinger, she just is so obnoxious, I can't help myself!).  Guilty as charged - I'm trying to do better and find myself changing the channel, when she gets to be too much.  I really like it here as well, everyone here is respectful and supportive.   Hope to "hear" more from you! 

(edited)

I used to watch QVC in the pre-Internet days but don't think I've ever popped into the shopping forum (and now I'm afraid to!) but I have wondered why there aren't separate threads for each network. Doesn't it get confusing?

As far as negativity goes, I stopped reading the Kelly and X show thread a long time ago because it was post after post about how thin she is and how horrible as a host and person. Which is fine, but it was the same thing every day for years. Maybe it's better now. I wasn't a fan of Strahan but might start watching again now that Ryan's there.

Edited by Lord Donia
55 minutes ago, Booney said:

I just saw a news story about a 97 year old woman who worked at a voting location in NJ all day today (it's primary Election Day in NJ). This is her eighth decade doing so! She said she loves helping people exercise their civic duty to vote. She also still works, part-time at a university. She looks wonderful! This is the kind of person who is a true inspiration, IMO. So much more worthy of our admiration than some tv personalities!

That's so cute. When I went to vote in the last election, the elderly woman who checked my license and ballot forgot to give me the printed out barcode I needed to activate the machine. When I went back to get it she practically burst into tears even though I reassured her several times that it was no big deal. People in that age bracket take the process very seriously.

8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

8 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Some restaurants have gotten so bad with the high prices. I eat at home more than I ever have. I might go out every other month. When I do, I get water with lemon instead of iced tea at $2.25. A regular so-so entree is $15.00 and add a tip. I don't get dessert out since it's usually outrageously  priced. I get dessert from the market and take it home. In my twenties I used to go out with friends all the time. Now I mostly cook at home and rent a movie from redbox.

I went out with a friend tonight to see the movie Snatched with Goldie Hawn and Amy Schumer. I had to google a theater. Some theaters now have reserved seating and reclining seats. Two tickets were $24.56. Getting tickets online included an online ordering convenience fee + convenience tax + ticket tax which came to $28.75. WTF! We went to a cheaper theater. What is wrong with these businesses?

(edited)
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I think it was Designing for the Sexes.  I liked those other shows you mentioned too. I read Trading Spaces might be coming back to TLC. If it does they better have a bigger decorating budget. I remember those crappy rooms that Hildi Santo-Tomas used to "design". She'd do awful stuff to people's homes since she didn't have to live there. Doug Wilson was crazy too. Vern Yip usually did classic designs that actually looked and seemed livable.

I liked Trading Spaces for awhile. Some of the designers would come up with some great stuff using repurposed items to create something great. Other designers were crap. They would do something horrible ruining people's homes. I wondered if these designers were just using the spaces to create a portfolio for themselves since most of the outcomes didn't follow what the people living there wanted. Jack and Jill like the colors blue and green but let's paint the walls red and black and hang yellow brocade curtains with gray sheers. Awful! It's not anything what that couple said they wanted. The designer wanted to see if that idea would work using that people's home.

I don't remember some of the designer's names. One of them did a house all in shades of medium gray to dark gray with lots of black accents. The bedroom looked like a mausoleum. I wouldn't want to live there. A few designers did fabulous things and had natural talent. That's how Ty Pennington got his start, iirc.

Ty was one of the woodworkers or builders. One show he asked to design a young girl's bedroom. It was AWESOME! There were special wall shelves that flipped one way showing cut out animals and flipped the other way to reveal a storybook theme. A matching desk, bed headboard, and a dollhouse in the corner. Totally wonderful! He went on to get his own home makeover show.

Edited by TexasTiffany
3 hours ago, Booney said:

I love hearing stories like this. It gives me hope for the future.

Trading Spaces is supposedly coming back. I don't know what designers will be back, but hopefully the emphasis on cleaner designs these days will mean there will be less outrageous reveals. I used to get ticked off when they'd remove ceiling fans from houses in the south. I'd be pissed if they removed one of our ceiling fans. They're not cheap and they're a PITA to install. 

7 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

That's  terrible about your mother's jewelry.  The exact same thing happened to my mother when she passed away.  I got a large box from the nursing home with clothes and even pictures which belonged to someone else, probably another patient.  Her remaining jewelry was pilfered.  Thankfully my sister and I switched out her wedding set with a fake diamond set, blissfully mom never knew. 

Spaking of the forum, I left for a few days and when I returned to read IDK why, but I was shocked at the incessant negativity towards one particular ex host.  I've been guilty for some participation however I was not really into her from the start.  I do not care for a current one who is annoying, but she's not going anyway due to her apparent sales volume.  So, I was a little annoyed with myself at ever thinking all that was entertaining, but it must have been.  Forums come and go and, for me personally,  an anon board which goes through some upheaval periodically doesn't  affect me that much so if someone and I have a disagreement, it will either sort itself out or it's forgotten.  Imho, people shouldn't be overtly upset if the board changes.  I think you have to adapt or just remain unhappy and who wants that? Then you have your own family and friends, not just the cyber ones.

Didn't mean to be long-winded, but I just wanted to agree that the negativity isn't healthy after awhile and I'm a tad embarassed about my ugly remarks in the other board.  Trying to elevate myself is a real struggle sometimes. 

I agree. I've participated in some of the negativity as well, but I try to draw the line around who someone is vs. how they behave. Making fun of the size of someone's nose, for example, is not my style and it feels wrong. Pointing out someone's bad behavior or bad choices, however, is fair game in my book.

4 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

As for the negativity on the other thread, I can snark with the best of them but there have been times when I've actually thought about deleting my account because some of the relentless bashing of a certain person in particular, is just downright cruel. And it does comes across as jealousy which I'm sure is the last thing the bashers want to be accused of feeling.  I think some people just like having someone they can vent all their frustrations and misery out on but although I've got plenty of both myself, I just can't imagine mustering up that much venom for somebody I don't even know. 

Worse than cruelty to people though, is cruelty to animals. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut about that. Feral cats, I've found, is an explosive issue and one usually best to be avoided because people have strong opinions one way or the other.  But too many people start feeding feral cats like they're wild birds then when it's no longer convenient for them to feed them or they move away, they think nothing of leaving them without the food they've come to depend upon--essentially, walking away and leaving them to die.  Then they call themselves "animal lovers". Sorry, they're animal abusers. Either ignore the feral and stray cats in your environment if you have the heart to( or rather, lack of it) or call animal control, or go the whole way and spay and neuter them and provide life-long care for them. Even try to find real homes for them. Period. 

Okay. I stepped off my soapbox and kicked it over. Don't feel any better though.

Since Pamela effing Hupp has been caught, I've shifted my "kill if I'm dying" list to any & all animal abusers.  I just can't abide the thought of sharing a planet with them.

I have a lovely little family of fixed semi-ferals who were born & raised in my back yard jungle.  It has been a haven for all creatures since I bought this place in '88, and I am an equal opportunity feeder - all critters are welcome to the unending food, as long as they don't fight.  My raccoons, possums, skunks & wild birds all find it an excellent place to raise their young, and they all get along.  Right now, I am teaching this lesson to a couple of neighborhood tomcats who want to fight each other on my property.  I've been unable to catch them, but I turned the hose on them the other day when they were killing each other in an impenetrable thicket.

The only way these creatures will ever suffer or be abandoned is if I am unable to find someone to inherit this dump when I die.  That's really the only drawback to being a reclusive old cat lady.  :-)

(edited)
1 hour ago, Booney said:

I agree. I've participated in some of the negativity as well, but I try to draw the line around who someone is vs. how they behave. Making fun of the size of someone's nose, for example, is not my style and it feels wrong. Pointing out someone's bad behavior or bad choices, however, is fair game in my book.

And I agree with what you've said here, as well as @PearlClutcher.

I get really uncomfortable when some of the snark turns to the financial stuff.  I don't know any of these people we snark about personally, so who am I to comment on their financial means or lack thereof?  And especially with such authority.

That's just my personal bugaboo......if you heard me around my non-cyber friends talk turns towards something to do with money, you'd think I was the finance police.  We have a friend going through a divorce and it's been 6 years and they are "dating".  Talk of them always devolves into how one of them is holding out for the money, and I just nip that talk in the bud.  People don't know my financial state and I don't want to know theirs or even speculate - I think it's unseemly.  It's the "southern" in me, I guess (10 years or so ago, my friends used to call me the Julia Sugarbaker of our group......I am sort of like her character on that show!).  But here, I'm not offended or upset if someone else speculates or comments, I simply don't join in.  

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Since Pamela effing Hupp has been caught, I've shifted my "kill if I'm dying" list to any & all animal abusers.  I just can't abide the thought of sharing a planet with them.

I have a lovely little family of fixed semi-ferals who were born & raised in my back yard jungle.  It has been a haven for all creatures since I bought this place in '88, and I am an equal opportunity feeder - all critters are welcome to the unending food, as long as they don't fight.  My raccoons, possums, skunks & wild birds all find it an excellent place to raise their young, and they all get along.  Right now, I am teaching this lesson to a couple of neighborhood tomcats who want to fight each other on my property.  I've been unable to catch them, but I turned the hose on them the other day when they were killing each other in an impenetrable thicket.

The only way these creatures will ever suffer or be abandoned is if I am unable to find someone to inherit this dump when I die.  That's really the only drawback to being a reclusive old cat lady.  :-)

This sounds exactly like what I want for myself when I finally retire - a place where I can commune with nature and wildlife....including feral cats!  I have two indoor cats right now that came from a good friend of mine who has a bunch of ferals in her yard -  she feeds them daily, she spays and neuters them and brings some inside to be indoor cats (seriously, I can't even say how many cats she has total - I the 20's, all cared for, all spayed and neutered).  One of them wandered into her yard and gave birth to my two, and she trapped the two kittens and their momma, put them in a huge cage and took care of them until two months after they were born, we scooped them up, took them to the vet and they've been with us ever since.  Before these two, I adopted a feral cat from a shelter.  It took some time, but she became the sweetest, most loving and well adjusted cat ever.    

(edited)
9 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

I used to love watching Trading Spaces too. Hildie was the worst when it came to ruining people's homes because she'd do things like glue straw to their walls and paint their furniture and rugs. She didn't give a damn if they burst into tears and never spoke to their neighbors again--as long as she got to realize her "vision". Doug was cute but he had the same attitude. It was all about him and what he wanted to do and to hell with the homeowners. I liked Laurie and Frank. I didn't like Frank's folksy, country decor but he genuinely cared about the homeowners and Laurie was always very tasteful with her mix of patterns and colors and fabrics.

I agree about HGTV having gone to the dogs. One real estate show after another. I don't get why. Is there really that big an audience for that mind-numbing crap? I don't know anyone who watches those shows. 

Was Hildie the one who had a couple glue a gazillion feathers covering the bathroom walls? Feathers, in the humid bathroom and you need to CLEAN everything avoiding the feathers. 

I just watched a youtube video with the straw on the walls of that little girls room. It's not just a matter of a failed design. Those people wouldn't be starting with a clean slate anymore. It's the cost of getting rid of the damage and re-doing everything over again. The "look" Hildie was going for could have been achieved with a painting technique rather than gluing straw on the walls. What a horrible mess. The mom said her daughter would probably be picking the straw off the wall and putting it in her mouth. Hildie dumbass made a hazardous room for a child. 

Edited by TexasTiffany

I get really uncomfortable when some of the snark turns to the financial stuff.

Oooh, I love hearing about that! Sometimes I'll dive into You Tube just to watch Suze Orman's "Can I Afford It?" segments!

What I can't stand is discussing someone else's sex life. That's none of my business! How can I look someone in the eye after knowing all their squicky stuff? I'm okay with TV characters talking about it although I think they go overboard trying to show how open and edgy they are.

7 hours ago, Friedbaloney said:

Worse than cruelty to people though, is cruelty to animals.

Well said, @Friedbaloney.

2 hours ago, Booney said:

I agree with everyone. I snark more on what people say and how they act. People can't help it if they have a big nose, thin lips or whatever. I've remarked on the way someone is dressed. OES chooses to dress in a way that I don't mind saying I don't like it. Carolyn is a sales person and dresses in what she sells. She can make better choices, yes, but she's not being whore-ish. Carolyn dresses like most women I see 24/7. Not the outfit I said looks like a green christmas cracker. A t-shirt with another shirt on the top over jeans is the look I see all day. I'm not watching to see how fat I can say she is today, etc. 

I've asked myself many times if I want to participate in a current discussion or not. At this point Mr. Namaste gets no good words from me but I don't want to waste energy typing the same thing again that we all think. I feel the same way about the ex-host and the one who spars with Isaac. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I remember the sand floor in one and another one with corrugated cardboard walls.  Ugh.

When a self-described designer picks sand or cardboard walls, it's time to replace them on the show. Those people aren't viable designers. They aren't even a good crafter. Some people just aren't good at designing or making things. 

My aunt took 2 sheets of manila paper, drew a design on one of them, stapled the 2 sheets together and stuffed the pocket full of cotton balls. She called it a "pillow" and gifted it to me. We were all supposed to ooh and aah over it. I did thank her, but it's not decorative nor usable.

She also took some old hardback books, glued them all together in a stacked look. She added purple mardi gras beads glued to the top. It was supposed to be a coffee table knick knack. These were old hardback books she ruined to do this. I would have gone the easy route and stacked the books directly on the coffee table without glue or beads. She boasts about her academic degrees, but deserves an F with her projects. 

Crafts are supposed to be about taking something not worth much anymore and turning them into something valuable or usable again, IMHO. My aunt took things that were worth something before but turned them into something worthless. The same with the straw walls, feather walls, sand and cardboard. That's destruction, not creation. 

52 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

Oooh, I love hearing about that! Sometimes I'll dive into You Tube just to watch Suze Orman's "Can I Afford It?" segments!

What I can't stand is discussing someone else's sex life. That's none of my business! How can I look someone in the eye after knowing all their squicky stuff? I'm okay with TV characters talking about it although I think they go overboard trying to show how open and edgy they are.

"Can I Afford It?" was my favorite part of the Suze show too. I would sit there rolling my eyes and laughing at the extravagant things these people wanted to buy on their income. But then I would remember some of the stupid decisions I've made about buying things, and imagine Suze growling at me: "DEE-nied!"

23 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

and got the senior discount since my mom was paying)

Most fast food senior discounts begin at age 55. Google for lists. http://www.wisebread.com/40-restaurants-that-offer-senior-discounts

Regarding forum negativity ... it all started back with TwoP (Television Without Pity). Snark was the goal, and snark can occasionally border on hostile. Snark is sarcasm and malice. So, I give it all a shrug and ignore what I don't like.

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

Was Hildie the one who had a couple glue a gazillion feathers covering the bathroom walls? Feathers, in the humid bathroom and you need to CLEAN everything avoiding the feathers. 

I just watched a youtube video with the straw on the walls of that little girls room. It's not just a matter of a failed design. Those people wouldn't be starting with a clean slate anymore. It's the cost of getting rid of the damage and re-doing everything over again. The "look" Hildie was going for could have been achieved with a painting technique rather than gluing straw on the walls. What a horrible mess. The mom said her daughter would probably be picking the straw off the wall and putting it in her mouth. Hildie dumbass made a hazardous room for a child. 

Yep, Hildie was the feather woman!  I read an interview somewhere, and the show went through great pains to "fix" whatever a homeowner didn't like.  You can imagine that Hildie's probably were all gutted!

I always liked Vern Yip's designs as well as Laurie/Lori....she was a redhead who thought the most important thing was fabrics.