Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/19/2017 at 5:49 PM, Friedbaloney said:

I like when people create little "vignettes" in their gardens.

I live in a retirement community with strict covenants that don't allow yard decorations. More and more restrictions were put in place as the development grew, but they weren't retroactive so the original neighborhoods from 30 years ago still have gnomes, ceramic duck families, bendover signs and whatnot. Owners in the "historic" district can also paint their houses any color they want and it's a much more interesting and fun place to drive through than the barren looking newer developments. Those vignettes at least show some creativity and care!

Anyone have a recommendation for a 10% glycolic acid cream?  I went to a dermatologist for a skin check and asked a bunch of questions about "stuff" on my face.  In particular, I have these slightly raised small circles all over.  She said to try a 10% glycolic acid (cream? Serum?).  I found some on Amazon, but if anyone has a recommendation, I'd appreciate it.

4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I fell asleep at some point, but each group had to a sitcom type show and the one group who did the church thing - I still don't know what they were trying to say, maybe that religion doesn't approve of them? - and when the camera angle was like the one above, she had a look like she was smelling shit.......I guess it's the look you call "what the hell is going on?"! 

Personally, I wasn't offended or anything by the show, but given her strict religious background, and just who she is (or rather, who she is not), it seemed a very odd choice for her to be on this show.  She was out of place and looked out of touch.  And I'm not surprised that she didn't announce this on her FB page....she is probably very embarrassed to have participated.

I suffered through a few minutes of it, fast forwarding through 90% of it. The show is spectacularly awful IMO and Lisa being there was just a waste. She said the least of the four judges - even the young actor from The Real O'Neals had a lot more to say!  A couple of things at the beginning made me laugh. They introduced the Real O'Neals guy by naming his show, but for Lisa they just said "Lisa Robertson!" I'm guessing there were regular viewers who were thinking "Who the hell is she?" Then, when RuPaul asked her if she liked his dress - and she said it was beautiful or something like that - he said something like "We only have 2,000 left so you better place your order now!!" I interpreted it as him poking fun at her shopping channel background. She pretended to laugh but to me she looked kind of pissed. 

Why on earth she would do this show is beyond me. Either this is all she can get, or she's so desperate to be on TV again that she'll take anything that's offered. Whatever the reason, it seems like really bad judgment from the Duchess.

44 minutes ago, Booney said:

I suffered through a few minutes of it, fast forwarding through 90% of it. The show is spectacularly awful IMO and Lisa being there was just a waste. She said the least of the four judges - even the young actor from The Real O'Neals had a lot more to say!  A couple of things at the beginning made me laugh. They introduced the Real O'Neals guy by naming his show, but for Lisa they just said "Lisa Robertson!" I'm guessing there were regular viewers who were thinking "Who the hell is she?" Then, when RuPaul asked her if she liked his dress - and she said it was beautiful or something like that - he said something like "We only have 2,000 left so you better place your order now!!" I interpreted it as him poking fun at her shopping channel background. She pretended to laugh but to me she looked kind of pissed. 

Why on earth she would do this show is beyond me. Either this is all she can get, or she's so desperate to be on TV again that she'll take anything that's offered. Whatever the reason, it seems like really bad judgment from the Duchess.

He wasn't poking fun. He was throwing major, major shade. 

I figure it cost her more to go out there for the couple of days work it probably took. I figure she lost money on the deal. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Anyone have a recommendation for a 10% glycolic acid cream?  I went to a dermatologist for a skin check and asked a bunch of questions about "stuff" on my face.  In particular, I have these slightly raised small circles all over.  She said to try a 10% glycolic acid (cream? Serum?).  I found some on Amazon, but if anyone has a recommendation, I'd appreciate it.

Here's some info with a list of the "Top 5":

http://www.skincareqc.com/best-glycolic-acid-lotion/

On May 13, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Thumper said:

Sounds like MamaCarpeDiem followed in GrandmaCarpeDiem's footsteps, from some of the stories you've shared with us!  Very funny!

I like Bobby Sherman, but after watching "Here Comes the Brides," I was more attracted to the hunky older brother, Jeremy.  Don't remember the actor's name.   More manly. Some of those teen favorites, like Donny Osmond, were too girly looking for me, even in Jr. High.  Especially Donny.  Sorry Donny fans -- I have many friends who LUV❤️ him too!   ?

David Soul.

No, not David Soul, who was blonde, but the other guy whose character's name was Jason and he had darker hair.  If you read on through the thread, I discover that the actor was close to my dad's age!  Eeek.  :D

On May 13, 2017 at 10:25 PM, kittygirl said:

James Garner, Ricky Nelson for me. I'm older than you girls. For my mom it was Andy Williams and James Arness.

My mom liked Andy Williams.  And that's where I discovered The Osmond Brothers!

3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

That was a great list that @Girlydiva53 posted....I was going to tell you that I have used Alpha Hydrox.  Many years ago, but it worked great. You can get it at a drugstore and I think Ulta has it, too.

I was going to recommend Alpha Hydrox, too -- it may also be the cheapest. No reason to spend more on the expensive brands since the ingredients are the same! You have to keep after it, but it does help eventually.

In other news, it's only May and I'm sick of hot summer temperatures already. Oh, Florida, how you vex me.

I used Alpha Hydrox years ago too. Don't know why I stopped but think I will start again. Going to use on back if my hands too. Aging shows there badly. Probably need it oh my chest too. Guess I'll get it by the gallon.

Thanks Thumper and Girly for the info.

25 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

I was going to recommend Alpha Hydrox, too -- it may also be the cheapest. No reason to spend more on the expensive brands since the ingredients are the same! You have to keep after it, but it does help eventually.

In other news, it's only May and I'm sick of hot summer temperatures already. Oh, Florida, how you vex me.

It's been raining a lot here.  Woke up to 44 degrees and all day rain.  We turned the furnace on again even though we bundled up. More rain tomorrow.  My husband said, "I wish we were back in Florida!"   

"It's always something," right?  :-)

And I am grateful we escaped the tornadoes that have hit other states.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:42 AM, Coffeecup said:

Remember Stone Mountain handbags? They went to China and turned to crap. The quality of Tiganello bags is going down too. Even Fossil!  I've bought Fossil for my last three bags, but this year their leather looked thin and cheap, and on the shoulder bag style I was looking at, they didn't even include the traditional key hardware. But of course their prices have gone UP instead of down.

Most Tiganello bags these days area mix of leather and vinyl- what they call "trim". Shoulder straps, the bottom of the bag, the area surrounding the zipper, etc. I had bought a shopper tote- it wasn't inexpensive, either- and within a few months the vinyl strap had ripped, like vinyl does. No more Tigs for me! I'd rather pay more to get a bag that's all leather. My older Tigs are all leather.

These days I search out bags made in Italy. They're not only all leather, but the leather is gorgeous!

6 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Here in Maryland, we were 95 degrees for three days last week.........then yesterday, barely 65 and not a drop of sun.  Same predicted today.   

We have an outdoor, formal event to go to that starts at noon and runs until 4.  What I had planned to wear was very spring like and I am afraid to wear it now.  Not quite sure what I'm going to do.

11 hours ago, Booney said:

They introduced the Real O'Neals guy by naming his show, but for Lisa they just said "Lisa Robertson!" I'm guessing there were regular viewers who were thinking "Who the hell is she?" Then, when RuPaul asked her if she liked his dress - and she said it was beautiful or something like that - he said something like "We only have 2,000 left so you better place your order now!!" I interpreted it as him poking fun at her shopping channel background. She pretended to laugh but to me she looked kind of pissed. 

11 hours ago, Girlydiva53 said:

I figure it cost her more to go out there for the couple of days work it probably took. I figure she lost money on the deal. 

I wonder if Ru shaded her like that because she was being a bitchy diva behind the scenes? 

2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Here in Maryland, we were 95 degrees for three days last week.........then yesterday, barely 65 and not a drop of sun.  Same predicted today.   

We have an outdoor, formal event to go to that starts at noon and runs until 4.  What I had planned to wear was very spring like and I am afraid to wear it now.  Not quite sure what I'm going to do.

If it works with a jacket/sweater you own, go with it.  If not, I think the new buzz term is 'shop your closet'.  lol

11 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Oh, my gosh.  Get thee to my little corner of SoCal microclime paradise (promise to tend my critters & you can be my heir apparent!!!).  On rare occasions, I might close the windows to the heat or cold, and even run a space heater or fan a few times a year.  Otherwise - heaven on earth; Goldifuckinlocks jackpot - not too hot, not too cold, no beachy May gray, no inland insufferable heat.  If it weren't for the fact that my house needs some MAJOR TLC, I'd have people lining up to live my life.  Poor but Happy, Happy, Happy.

11 hours ago, kittygirl said:

I used Alpha Hydrox years ago too. Don't know why I stopped but think I will start again. Going to use on back if my hands too. Aging shows there badly. Probably need it oh my chest too. Guess I'll get it by the gallon.

I don't know why I stopped, either, because my skin surely ain't improving with age!

The discussion prompted me to browse online and I got sucked in by a facial peel with 50% glycolic acid. Ouch? Has anyone used something similar? I'll let you know how it goes. The instructions (and user reviews) are emphatic about making a baking soda mixture to neutralize the skin, so it isn't messing around.

33 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

I don't know why I stopped, either, because my skin surely ain't improving with age!

The discussion prompted me to browse online and I got sucked in by a facial peel with 50% glycolic acid. Ouch? Has anyone used something similar? I'll let you know how it goes. The instructions (and user reviews) are emphatic about making a baking soda mixture to neutralize the skin, so it isn't messing around.

My facial peel regiment consists of letting my cat lick my face ... off.  It's all I can afford, and takes no expenditure or effort on my part.  Push comes to shove I'll use cheapo witch hazel on a discount cosmetic pad.

(Fuck off, I'm lucky to remember to brush my teeth, much less afford the "good" toothpaste!!!)

I used to have peels done at the salon where I got nails done. Stopped after I retired. I do think they helped but if the tech missed a place with neutralizer solution oh wow, did it burn. I use a scrub but as I've aged my skin has thinned and is very sensitive so I'm careful about what I use. Only use scrub once a week. I will try the Aloha Hydrox, just not daily for me.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I am a Fleetwood Mac, emphasis on Stevie Nicks, super fan, and I love this duet!  What I know about Harry Styles and his former boy band you could write on the head of a pin, but I am impressed by his vocals here.

There are 2 video snippets - the 2nd is one of my favorite FM songs - 

http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/20/harry-styles-and-stevie-nicks-leather-and-lace-sing-together-troubadour/?adid=hero3

I heard him sing on SNL and was impressed, too.  Often the acoustics or something on the SNL set are awful, but he sounded good.

4 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I took a photo of my whimsical ducks. I can't leave them out on my balcony. I mostly keep them in my living room. 

Duck Duo.JPG

I am in lurve with your "whimsical ducks", TT!

Many years ago, a pair of mating ducks made my swimming pool into their honeymoon suite.  My pool-boy was fired for his less-than-positive attitude towards  these lovebirds; my swimming pool was drained into a swampy duckpond, and those sweet duckies came back for 8 years of loving on each other. Let's just say the saddest sound in the world is a duckie calling for it's soulmate who doesn't arrive.  :-(

(edited)
16 hours ago, Snark Byte said:

Most Tiganello bags these days area mix of leather and vinyl- what they call "trim". Shoulder straps, the bottom of the bag, the area surrounding the zipper, etc. I had bought a shopper tote- it wasn't inexpensive, either- and within a few months the vinyl strap had ripped, like vinyl does. No more Tigs for me! I'd rather pay more to get a bag that's all leather. My older Tigs are all leather.

These days I search out bags made in Italy. They're not only all leather, but the leather is gorgeous!

I bought several small Tig cross-body bags last year that are all leather. I got them at a department store, not a shopping channel. The lining isn't as silky and pretty as Tig linings used to be, but the bag is still well-made. I bought the first one and loved it so much, I bought it in every color I could find. I use them constantly and they are holding up well. The style or model is "Heritage" -

IMG_0915.JPG.d453bba072d9618b29627d7df608e54c.JPG

6 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I took a photo of my whimsical ducks. I can't leave them out on my balcony. I mostly keep them in my living room. 

Duck Duo.JPG

Adorable! I'd want to have them where I could see them constantly, so your living room sounds like a good place to put them!

Edited by Booney

Like that Tig bag. I have some older all leather ones of great quality and they still look good. But a newer blue one with vinyl handles , nope. Handles are cracking. I really need to toss it. Won't buy Tig again unless it's all leather. My current handbag is a Calvin Klein red Sofiano all leather. Yes it was a bit pricer at TJM than Tig but looks brand new after a year of carrying it every day. Money well spent.

Crazy about the ducks, TT.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, Girlydiva53 said:

I figured that it didn't go particularly well for her, otherwise she would have been talking about it ad nauseum on the SSC.  Wonder if she'll even mention it on the latest installment (tonight??- sorry, I can't watch more than about 30 seconds of her show!).  Wonder why little Katie didn't travel with her for this trip?

Thanks for the information about the glycolic acid - I have pretty sensitive skin, so I've been experimenting a bit; I've developed an area of hyperpigmentation (aka age spot) on my cheek - initially I was worried it might have been some type of skin cancer - since I've has some pretty serious sunburns in my life time (sunscreen, like car seats weren't thought of when I was a kid, often wonder how I made it!)  Saw a dermatologist who told me it was just an age spot and offered to do some pricey lightening treatment for it, but I told him I wanted to look at some less expensive options.  He mentioned glycolic acid as an option; but he also said to be careful with what I used because of my sensitive skin. 

1 hour ago, zoemom said:

I figured that it didn't go particularly well for her, otherwise she would have been talking about it ad nauseum on the SSC.  Wonder if she'll even mention it on the latest installment (tonight??- sorry, I can't watch more than about 30 seconds of her show!).  Wonder why little Katie didn't travel with her for this trip?

Thanks for the information about the glycolic acid - I have pretty sensitive skin, so I've been experimenting a bit; I've developed an area of hyperpigmentation (aka age spot) on my cheek - initially I was worried it might have been some type of skin cancer - since I've has some pretty serious sunburns in my life time (sunscreen, like car seats weren't thought of when I was a kid, often wonder how I made it!)  Saw a dermatologist who told me it was just an age spot and offered to do some pricey lightening treatment for it, but I told him I wanted to look at some less expensive options.  He mentioned glycolic acid as an option; but he also said to be careful with what I used because of my sensitive skin. 

I have those spots too, @zoemom - my dermatologist wittily calls them "wisdom spots." Like you, I got sunburns every summer growing up because, in that era, we didn't know that it was bad for you. I grew up in coastal Connecticut and we lived a few minutes from a beach. We went to the beach pretty much every day in the summer from the time I was in elementary school through high school. Not only did I not use sunscreen, I remember slathering baby oil on me to get a darker tan. I'm a fair-skinned blonde, so needless to say, this was not good for me. I faithfully go to my dermatologist for regular skin checks, and those age wisdom spots scare me too, but so far, so good.

3 hours ago, zoemom said:

I think this was filmed quite awhile ago.  Remember when she made that mysterious trip to L.A. for three or four days for "meetings" a couple of months ago but never said what the meetings were?  I think that's when La Douchey was outshined by the drag queens.  She took pictures from her hotel room window and kept saying crap like, "I'm off to a meeting!" and hours later she'd say, "Back from a busy day of meetings!"  

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, TexasTiffany said:

Duck Duo.JPG

OMG!  I love these!  They just make me happy!

Why can't you leave them on your balcony?  Are you on a first floor or something and afraid someone would snatch them?

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
22 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

There are 2 video snippets - the 2nd is one of my favorite FM songs - 

http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/20/harry-styles-and-stevie-nicks-leather-and-lace-sing-together-troubadour/?adid=hero3

Nice!  I am a huge fan of FM, too.  I love Stevie Nicks and especially am impressed that she pretty much looks and sounds like she did 25 years ago.

Whenever I'm in a "mood" I listen to Rumors or one of their greatest hits CDs.    I like Silver Spring and also one that is primarily a Lindsey Buckingham song, Bleed to Love Her.

(edited)
1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

OMG!  I love these!  They just make me happy!

Why can't you leave them on your balcony?  Are you on a first floor or something and afraid someone would snatch them?

The wind knocked 1 of them off the ledge one time. I'm worried it will happen again. Most of the time they're in my living room. Sometimes I put them in my kitchen. I moved them outside to take the picture on my balcony. (2nd floor) I usually put plants on my balcony ledge. I can anchor the containers to the metal railing. I can't do that with my ducks. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Nice!  I am a huge fan of FM, too.  I love Stevie Nicks and especially am impressed that she pretty much looks and sounds like she did 25 years ago.

Whenever I'm in a "mood" I listen to Rumors or one of their greatest hits CDs.    I like Silver Spring and also one that is primarily a Lindsey Buckingham song, Bleed to Love Her.

I saw Fleetwood Mac a number of years ago during one of their reunion tours. Everyone was on the tour including Christine McVie. The show was at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City and it was wonderful. Since then, I've seen Stevie Nicks' solo show twice. She's still the bomb! She can't quite hit all the high notes any more, but she still sounds fantastic. When she sings "Landslide," it still gives me goosebumps. I also saw a Lindsey Buckingham solo show a number of years ago. He's really an amazing guitarist. FM was just such an incredibly talented group.

46 minutes ago, Booney said:

I saw Fleetwood Mac a number of years ago during one of their reunion tours. Everyone was on the tour including Christine McVie. The show was at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City and it was wonderful. Since then, I've seen Stevie Nicks' solo show twice. 

Color me jealous.

17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

If anyone is interested, here is an 'album' of Pippa Middleton's wedding photos, courtesy TMZ.  Her niece and newphew are the cutest darn kiddos!  Her dress was fabulous!  I wish the style would be come back in style - I'm tiring of the strapless look.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/20/pippa-middleton-james-matthews-wedding/?adid=hero1

I loved her dress too, I don't mind strapless, if it fits, but the ones where the boobs are trying to escape, aren't whT I call wedding attire.

Went to a family wedding this weekend. Bride had a strapless dress, sitting very low on the bewbs. At reception she kept adjusting it and wiggling bewbs into the dress. But she paid a lot for those puppies so it would be a shame not to let them show.

At one point, mother of bride stopped at edge of dance floor, put her hands under her own bewbs and hoisted them up. Like mother, like daughter.

Oh gosh, wedding dresses. I watched Say Yes to the Dress and all its spinoffs and copycats for years and years, despite disliking many of the brides and most of their entourages. I'm still amazed at the number of women who want to serve up the goods to all and sundry on their wedding days.

Anyway, I've finally weened myself off the shows and satisfy my craving by occasionally browsing designer collections online. For whatever weird reason, I just like looking at wedding gowns!

36 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

Oh gosh, wedding dresses. I watched Say Yes to the Dress and all its spinoffs and copycats for years and years, despite disliking many of the brides and most of their entourages. I'm still amazed at the number of women who want to serve up the goods to all and sundry on their wedding days.

Anyway, I've finally weened myself off the shows and satisfy my craving by occasionally browsing designer collections online. For whatever weird reason, I just like looking at wedding gowns!

IKWYM! I've watched that show for years. I don't understand the need of some of the brides to show boobs and backside to everyone. The Pnina stripper gowns are awful and extremely expensive! These women can wear a sexy hoochie dress any day of the week. Their wedding day is the one and only day they can wear a beautiful gown and be treated like a princess. Some don't pick the pretty gown and go with the "hooker in white" look. 

I've checked out some of the gowns on other websites. Kleinfeld wants us to think the strapless gown is the only gown on the market. 

I loved Pippa's wedding dress. I thought she looked beautiful, but not overdone. I don't get wanting to look like a stripper on your wedding day. It doesn't mean you need to be in a gown from the Dorothy Zbornak collection, but have some sense of decency for God's sake. See-through corsets and spillover boobs are so tacky.

48 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I loved Pippa's wedding dress. I thought she looked beautiful, but not overdone. I don't get wanting to look like a stripper on your wedding day. It doesn't mean you need to be in a gown from the Dorothy Zbornak collection, but have some sense of decency for God's sake. See-through corsets and spillover boobs are so tacky.

Poor Dorothy, she deserved much better than that lace tablecloth with craft-looking loops all over the bodice. 

I'd love to see Randy Fenoli's face if someone asked him for a Dorothy Zbornak gown. I found a photo.

d3e2d5db7562d2d0dddb450663631b599e41d2a4

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

the Dorothy Zbornak collection,

K, you owe me a new laptop.

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Yes, and though I'm not a terribly religious person, if you choose to have your wedding in a church, some of these gowns shouldn't even be covering the tables in the basement bingo room.

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

Poor Dorothy, she deserved much better than that lace tablecloth with craft-looking loops all over the bodice. 

I'd love to see Randy Fenoli's face if someone asked him for a Dorothy Zbornak gown. I found a photo.

d3e2d5db7562d2d0dddb450663631b599e41d2a4

That has got to be the strangest damn thing I've ever seen.  I had forgotten how odd it was, lol.