Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

THAT I might even watch. A dolled up Duggar, who parked her 'modesty' at the stage door and then purposed to dance a sultry steamy tango. Because God laid it on her heart to do so.

They wouldn't even have to make new costumes for the Duggar gals. They already have plenty of those floor sweeping skirts & bow headbands for their hair. Are flip-flops considered proper dance footwear?

• Love 2

The three episodes about Jessa giving birth, which aired in late 2015, were called 'specials.'  The first season of Jil & Jessa: Counting On began on March 15, 2016, and four episodes have been aired.  

There is no official word yet from TLC if the series will be renewed for another season.  This report says that a renewal is unlikely: http://www.enstarz.com/articles/152781/20160407/jill-and-jessa-duggar-update-spin-off-show-won-t-be-renewed-for-another-season-video.htm

Since the show is hyping the unmarried, older kids, it's almost like the producers are speculating that at least one of them will enter into a courtship leading to a marriage, which would increase viewership.  (There are six kids who are over the age of 18 and unmarried.)  The old Duggar show had the largest viewers for wedding episodes.

Jessa's wedding show had 3,530,000 viewers and Jill's wedding had 2,830,000.  Jill's birthing episode had 2,970,000 viewers and Jessa's birth special had 2,500,000. 

IMHO, those were the most boring, repetitive episodes too.

• Love 1

I think The Amazing Race would be a better show for a pair of Duggars or their ilk.  Think of it: All of these countries to spread the love of Jesus to!  A fully paid mission trip!  And since two brothers or two sisters can be paired off together, they can be each others' "accountability" partners!   In theory it would be good for them to learn about the world and other people and actually DO things for themselves and other people.

• Love 3

THAT I might even watch. A dolled up Duggar, who parked her 'modesty' at the stage door and then purposed to dance a sultry steamy tango. Because God laid it on her heart to do so.

There's already a precedent for this; we've seen Sadie Robertson, Candace Cameron Bure, and Kurt Warner SOOOOO CONFLICTED over doing the sexy dance with someone other than their father/spouses. Imagine the histrionics and overacting as FAMY agonizes between the choice of remaining modest or cashing that $250,000 check. What to do, what to do?

One also has to wonder what kind of check the DWTS producers would have to cough up for Jim Boob and J-Chelle to sit ringside for this debacle...

(edited)

Smart move, Jinger. Driving around with Mikey in the back and no booster seat:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2974591/duggar-photo-sparks-criticism-as-fans-say-jinger-broke-arkansas-law-put-michael-duggar-in-danger/

Of course, their fans are lashing out on the Duggar FB page, asking people who they are to judge this family. Same shit, different day.

eta: Somebody should bitch slap Anna. She should know better.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

There's already a precedent for this; we've seen Sadie Robertson, Candace Cameron Bure, and Kurt Warner SOOOOO CONFLICTED over doing the sexy dance with someone other than their father/spouses. Imagine the histrionics and overacting as FAMY agonizes between the choice of remaining modest or cashing that $250,000 check. What to do, what to do?

One also has to wonder what kind of check the DWTS producers would have to cough up for Jim Boob and J-Chelle to sit ringside for this debacle...

Oh, Famy wouldn't agonize over that choice at all, not even for the cameras. Actually, at this stage I'm not sure any of them would. The famewhore gene is dominant with this family.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2974591/duggar-photo-sparks-criticism-as-fans-say-jinger-broke-arkansas-law-put-michael-duggar-in-danger/

Of course, their fans are lashing out on the Duggar FB page, asking people who they are to judge this family. Same shit, different day.

Probably people wouldn't be so quick to nitpick over the Duggars' child-rearing practices if we didn't have to listen to a decade of them bleating about how superior they are.

• Love 11

TLC has shut down the ability to post such pictures to their FB pages now. They are definitely feeling the heat from the critics.

• Love 2

I don't think they would be that stupid to drive a small child without a booster seat. Backless boosters are between $10-20 at Walmart.

"Shopping Buddy" my rear end. That child was probably pawned off on Jinger and he's probably her accountability partner.

• Love 7
(edited)

Absolutely THIS. In addition to their judgmental, condescending, and self righteous attitude, selling out their family for public consumption $ has as its dues full-on critique of all they publically claim.

If they can't stand the heat, they should never have gotten into their TLC-built mega kitchen.

Ah, but who needs to follow mere mortal driving regulations when Jesus is your copilot and has you under his umbrella of protection?

FAMY would be using that show as her Oscar acting reel. Bitten lower lip. Tears. Quivering chin. Clasping The Bible to her breast. As The Bachelor fans might say, she'd be doing the Full Mesnick. "But JEEEEEEEEZUUSSSSS!" (Yes, I know you can't get an Oscar for TV work, but one has to believe FAMY doesn't know that fact...)

Which sister was driving Hannie (?) around sans necessary glasses last week? At the risk of being called cold and cynical, somehow I don't think it's the first time the M-kids have been in a car without the proper car seat/booster seat and it's probably not going to be the last.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 2

The one who doesn't cringe at being touched. The one who will listen to a beat without having to confess it as a sin.

Oh shit - AMY.

Yeeeesssss Famy for the win!!

The one who doesn't cringe at being touched. The one who will listen to a beat without having to confess it as a sin.

Oh shit - AMY.

Yeeeesssss Famy for the win!!

• Love 3

The Duggar Family Blog is pleading with people to contact TLC and request that the Jill & Jessa: Counting On show remains on the air:

"As those who dislike the Duggars work tirelessly to convince the network to cancel the show, it is important for fans to make their voices heard.  Click here to write a message to the Discovery Communications Viewer Relations team.  Your comments matter."

The "click here" link goes to the email form here:
https://corporate.discovery.com/contact/viewer-relations

Feel free to voice your opinions to TLC!

• Love 3

The Duggar Family Blog is pleading with people to contact TLC and request that the Jill & Jessa: Counting On show remains on the air:

"As those who dislike the Duggars work tirelessly to convince the network to cancel the show, it is important for fans to make their voices heard. Click here to write a message to the Discovery Communications Viewer Relations team. Your comments matter."

The "click here" link goes to the email form here:

https://corporate.discovery.com/contact/viewer-relations

Feel free to voice your opinions to TLC!

Thanks. I really let Tlc have it. When I had to enter the Captcha text in order to submit my post, the word I had to type was 'judge' and you bet I did, lol. Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 8

"As those who dislike the Duggars work tirelessly to convince the network to cancel the show, it is important for fans to make their voices heard.  Click here to write a message to the Discovery Communications Viewer Relations team.  Your comments matter."

They have such great talent for having these things backfire on them, remember the gay couples kissing? Or the BB guns lying on the ground.

• Love 2

The "tirelessly" bit is pure rhetorical bullshit meant to rabble-rouse the low effort thinkers. Their show is, at best, insipid. At worst, it propagates intolerance, misogyny, and religious lunacy. It's a fantasy confection with a nest of cockroaches and vipers at its heart, and it needs to go.

• Love 18

"As those who dislike the Duggars work tirelessly to convince the network to cancel the show,

So the Duggars are using, in a sense, the "haters" crap others use.  "dislike the Duggars" doesn't really cover it.

• Love 1

That's disgusting, and a typical cheap shot for callous idiots who will stop at nothing to be on television. See Duggars, it's not that I have anything against you personally. I just kind of generally dislike ALL abusive and criminally negligent parents who force their children to sell their souls to a cult run by a pervert with a foot fetish. CALL ME CRAZY. 

• Love 20

The "tirelessly" bit is pure rhetorical bullshit meant to rabble-rouse the low effort thinkers. Their show is, at best, insipid. At worst, it propagates intolerance, misogyny, and religious lunacy. It's a fantasy confection with a nest of cockroaches and vipers at its heart, and it needs to go.

You took the words right out of my mouth ... then put them in a 'make this better and more articulate' processor..then refined them to say exactly what was in my mouth. 

• Love 2

That's disgusting, and a typical cheap shot for callous idiots who will stop at nothing to be on television. See Duggars, it's not that I have anything against you personally. I just kind of generally dislike ALL abusive and criminally negligent parents who force their children to sell their souls to a cult run by a pervert with a foot fetish. CALL ME CRAZY. 

"One of the most pernicious and dangerous religious cults outside of Utah" was how I described them.  

I also threatened to boycott Shark Week.  Yup, I went there.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 11

I don't get who Lily and Ellis are. Are they just fans? Are they friends or relatives? Are they Duggar employees? What makes them the official blog?

They're just fans who have wormed their way into Duggarville. Ellie is featured in the Jill/Jessa hair tutorial on YouTube.

I have no clue why they think they are "official" other than being the most cloying. Ellie recently married and lives in Nashville, so I doubt there will be any more personal meet ups.

They're just fans who have wormed their way into Duggarville. Ellie is featured in the Jill/Jessa hair tutorial on YouTube.

I have no clue why they think they are "official" other than being the most cloying. Ellie recently married and lives in Nashville, so I doubt there will be any more personal meet ups.

I always pictured the people who ran that blog as middle aged spinster sisters.
  • Love 3

Ellie and her mother are also personal friends of the Duggars and the Duggars do give them information and pictures to post.  They were often invited to Duggar events and were photographed many times with the family.  Michelle isn't capable of running a blog by herself, so she is probably grateful that they are willing to do it.  

• Love 2

Those of us who find it amusing to troll the Duggar pages even have a bingo card meme with all the predictable bullshit excuses the Duggarites use to defend them.  They all seem to post in the same "style" (if you wanna call it that) - massive run-on sentences, poor grammar/capitalization/punctuation, assumptions that everyone is Christian and therefore has to follow their rules... sad, really.

Edited by WescottF1
  • Love 7

TLC is pitching a new edition of the Duggar book, Growing Up Duggar, which was ghost-written on behalf of Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger.  This time, it is being published by a name-brand publisher.  In what appears to be an effort to drum up interest in the reality show, TLC is giving away some copies of the book. The original book never made it to a second printing and you can by the original hardcover for as little as $1 on Amazon.

The updated book is advertised to contain info about Jill and Jessa's courtships.  Here is the released excerpt:

"NEW from Jessa . . .
When Ben and I were courting, one thing I really appreciated was his humility and gentle spirit. If he did something to hurt my feelings or took something the wrong way, he was quick to apologize. He'd say, 'I'm sorry,' and it was a sincere apology. That made me feel really loved. And Ben has never belittled my emotions, and he doesn't blow them off. I saw that when we were courting, and now that we're married, I continue to see that he's a sweetheart through and through. Who he was then is who he is now.

"Just as it's helpful to us to see how a guy reacts when one of our young siblings spills a cup of chocolate milk on his new shirt, it's also helpful to see how he responds in other situations, including sports. Is he angry or gracious in defeat? Does he fume for hours or congratulate the winner, put the loss behind him, and move on? Equally important is how he handles winning. Does he gloat and boast? Or does he shake hands with his opponent and offer encouragement?

"Questions like these are more reasons why we believe in family visits and a variety of family activities during courtship rather than one-on-one dates. Don't get us wrong. There's a time and place for a romantic dinner date, and some good communication can be enjoyed in that setting. But …"

Riveting reading NOT.

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 3

Wow Jessa, what a robotic piece. I've heard MEchelle parrot that crap ad nauseum. Did David Waller help you with that, like he did with the original book?

eta: I still like Ben's excerpt better. At least he was honest.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

A few things struck me as I read that crap, besides the fact that it's crap. I laughed at the concept of a romantic dinner date. They aren't allowed to do that so how do they even know if there is less communication than a family 'date'? Do they think all pre-marital romantic dinners consist of stuffing your face and then doing it in the back seat? How exactly is there more communication with a bunch of people around? Do they really think that they are more themselves when they are on display like that than in private or at least away from parents? With this approach even a couple without a super quick courtship is never going to know each other at all.

• Love 6

TLC is pitching a new edition of the Duggar book, Growing Up Duggar, which was ghost-written on behalf of Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger. This time, it is being published by a name-brand publisher. In what appears to be an effort to drum up interest in the reality show, TLC is giving away some copies of the book. The original book never made it to a second printing and you can by the original hardcover for as little as $1 on Amazon.

The updated book is advertised to contain info about Jill and Jessa's courtships. Here is the released excerpt:

"NEW from Jessa . . .

When Ben and I were courting, one thing I really appreciated was his humility and gentle spirit. If he did something to hurt my feelings or took something the wrong way, he was quick to apologize. He'd say, 'I'm sorry,' and it was a sincere apology. That made me feel really loved. And Ben has never belittled my emotions, and he doesn't blow them off. I saw that when we were courting, and now that we're married, I continue to see that he's a sweetheart through and through. Who he was then is who he is now.

"Just as it's helpful to us to see how a guy reacts when one of our young siblings spills a cup of chocolate milk on his new shirt, it's also helpful to see how he responds in other situations, including sports. Is he angry or gracious in defeat? Does he fume for hours or congratulate the winner, put the loss behind him, and move on? Equally important is how he handles winning. Does he gloat and boast? Or does he shake hands with his opponent and offer encouragement?

"Questions like these are more reasons why we believe in family visits and a variety of family activities during courtship rather than one-on-one dates. Don't get us wrong. There's a time and place for a romantic dinner date, and some good communication can be enjoyed in that setting. But …"

Riveting reading NOT.

Ben sounds like quite the groveler.
  • Love 5

Just as it's helpful to us to see how a guy reacts when one of our young siblings spills a cup of chocolate milk on his new shirt, it's also helpful to see how he responds in other situations,

Like being alone with you?

• Love 8

TLC is pitching a new edition of the Duggar book, Growing Up Duggar, which was ghost-written on behalf of Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger.  This time, it is being published by a name-brand publisher.  In what appears to be an effort to drum up interest in the reality show, TLC is giving away some copies of the book. The original book never made it to a second printing and you can by the original hardcover for as little as $1 on Amazon.

The updated book is advertised to contain info about Jill and Jessa's courtships.  Here is the released excerpt:

"NEW from Jessa . . .

Riveting reading NOT.

Definitely not riveting. It has a heck of a lot of leghumper reviews, though. So maybe TLC is onto something, hoping that a renewed release of the book and the new "series" will help drive interest in one another.

Where'd you see that there was a different publisher, though? I looked on Amazon, and they still list it under the original publisher, Simon & Schuster's Christian imprint, Howard Books.

Do they think all pre-marital romantic dinners consist of stuffing your face and then doing it in the back seat?

I have a strong feeling that they do think this. Having been told it over and over and over and over and over, not only by their parents but by the whole Gothard crew, every "book" they've ever been permitted to read, etc.

• Love 2

I have a strong feeling that they do think this. Having been told it over and over and over and over and over, not only by their parents but by the whole Gothard crew, every "book" they've ever been permitted to read, etc.

You are right. They probably do think this. After all the entire foundation of their faith is that people can't control their sexual urges and without complete supervision  on a date they will be overwhelmed with desire and hump right there in the restaurant.

• Love 3

"NEW from Jessa . . .

Riveting reading NOT.

This is probably how it went down.

Writer: Describe Ben when you were courting

Jessa: Uhm, humble, and yup, a gentle spirit. Oh yeah, he would say I'm sorry sometimes too ... (laughter)

When Ben and I were courting, one thing I really appreciated was his humility and gentle spirit. If he did something to hurt my feelings or took something the wrong way, he was quick to apologize. He'd say, 'I'm sorry,' and it was a sincere apology. That made me feel really loved. And Ben has never belittled my emotions, and he doesn't blow them off. I saw that when we were courting, and now that we're married, I continue to see that he's a sweetheart through and through. Who he was then is who he is now

Writer: Tell me how Ben reacts when playing sports

Jessa: Ah, yeah, uhm, he hasn't played sports in front of me, but, yeah, we did go sledding once. Yup.

Oh, oh, (laughter) and once he came with us to a book signing.

."Questions like these are more reasons why we believe in family visits and a variety of family activities during courtship rather than one-on-one dates. Don't get us wrong. There's a time and place for a romantic dinner date, and some good communication can be enjoyed in that setting. But …"

• Love 10

I just can't get enough life advice from mental toddlers barely out of their teens who think the Earth is 6000 years old.

Ain't that the truth. But on the other hand, look how well this all worked out for Josh!! Why, they should put his picture on the cover.

This fine, clean lifestyle produced a child molester/cheater. What better example of growing up duggar could there be?

The book tour could be interesting though.

• Love 7

Not sure where to put this, but here goes.

Pickles ran a story that said the "midwife" who trained jill is being sued. According to the story, a mother had a serious complication during delivery that required a real doctor and hospital. The "midwife" treated her with holistic hippy dippy crap. The mother begged Jill to call 911 and Jill wouldn't do it. The "midwife" says they did call 911. The little girl now has cerebral palsy. The mother said neither the "midwife" or Jill have any business being in the baby catching line of work.

Once again, because the duggars have watched someone do something it does not make them qualified to do a highly skilled job. Jill never went to school to learn to be a midwife. If there is any truth to this story, I hope the "midwife" and Jill spend the rest of their lives in court. Shame on the both of them.

PS-I have nothing against holistic medicine. Sorry if it sounded like that.

UPDATE!!! Someone in the

Dillard forum posted the details.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 2

The girls have competition on the book front. One of the Duck Dynasty clan is publishing a book about his courtship and marriage. At the ripe age of 20.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/duck-dynasty-star-john-luke-robertson-talks-book/story?id=38513784

The sheer arrogance of all these people that being a particular kind of Christian makes them qualified on anything makes me just want to slap them.

Laughable considering Mommy and Daddy are subsidizing JohnLuke's lifestyle just like JimBoob does for his kids. And his wife comes off like such a famewhore she makes Marjorie look tame in comparison.

So how pissed are Jessa and Jill right now because they didn't think to do a "young, Christian marriage" guide first?

• Love 3

"Just as it's helpful to us to see how a guy reacts when one of our young siblings spills a cup of chocolate milk on his new shirt, it's also helpful to see how he responds in other situations, including sports. Is he angry or gracious in defeat? Does he fume for hours or congratulate the winner, put the loss behind him, and move on? Equally important is how he handles winning. Does he gloat and boast? Or does he shake hands with his opponent and offer encouragement?"

Should could have just said, "does he act like my father or like an actual adult?" 

• Love 16

Well, at least the Duck kid and his wife are going to college. Some of the pre-marriage photos appear to show actual physical affection. And despite having been married for 9 months now (as per the article...I don't follow the clan whatsoever) there are no babies on the horizon. His wife "talks about it", apparently, but he got her a dog instead to put her off for the time being. 

So the Duggars are far godlier and can probably tell us how to actually do it right. LOL 

• Love 4