Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Well, well, well. It seems Joshley Madison has been a very busy boy.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2015/12/anna-duggar-begs-josh-not-to-leave-her.html

Eh, this doesn't really ring true for me. The site looks questionable and more importantly, the "rehab" place makes a huge deal about how men and women are completely separate.

This breaks my heart - not only for the content, but because that site is accurate such a large portion of the time.

Really? Wow. I'm not familiar with them. Do you remember anything they reported that was later verified? Not doubting you, just curious.

About one inch of screen per person. Does anyone else think its odd that 11 Duggars are packed into Jessa's house with a bunch of board games? Are they babysitting? And who took the picture? I'm not sure if I was a 'first' time mom of a month old baby, that I would want every square inch of my home packed with people.  And where is Josie the Miracle Licker?

Probably one of Boob and Mechelle's constant date nights, although goodness knows why they didn't just stay with Jana as usual. Maybe she had to take Josie to the doctor or something and dropped the kids off at Jessa's. In any event, I'm surprised Charlie Brown Christmas even makes the cut, considering the scene where everyone is dancing!

• Love 6

Eh, this doesn't really ring true for me. The site looks questionable and more importantly, the "rehab" place makes a huge deal about how men and women are completely separate.

Until they aren't.  It could happen.  Seperate camps for boys and girls anyone?

About one inch of screen per person. Does anyone else think its odd that 11 Duggars are packed into Jessa's house with a bunch of board games? Are they babysitting? And who took the picture? I'm not sure if I was a 'first' time mom of a month old baby, that I would want every square inch of my home packed with people.  And where is Josie the Miracle Licker?

Maybe Josie was celebrating with her birthday lunch & a stop at the pawn shop with Boob & MEchelle.

• Love 2

Really? Wow. I'm not familiar with them. Do you remember anything they reported that was later verified? Not doubting you, just curious.

Totally understand, as I was quite skeptical when introduced to that site years ago.  He has called many things over the years, but most recently, he had the scoop on Charlie Sheen's HIV before it hit the news.  He also reported that Josh was part of  the Ashley Madison scandal (in a blind item, as is his norm) right before it went public as well.  Every January 1st and July 4th, he does nothing but reveals on the blind items of the past year. 

• Love 4

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/jessa-and-jill-duggar-compare-their-pregnancy-bodies-in-counting-on-clip-watch-w159448

Another new clip. Nursedoctor Jill is in full effect.The men are awful. This show looks SO BORING.

OMG, this clip is mind-numbingly dull. For those who were concerned that the Duggars "are back on TV," I'd say FEAR NOT. If all 3 specials are like this clip, it won't be happening. Of course, we need to remember that this is TLC, and in general, those folks are a few fries short of a Happy Meal. So maybe we'll see the Duggars for another year, at wider intervals. And that'll be it.

• Love 13

I've seen the promo on quite a few stations, and it's enough to keep me from watching on Sunday - no way will I waste an hour (more) of my life on those people.  I seldom visit this particular forum anymore, so I'm wondering what the general consensus is (here) for watching on Sunday.  Wasn't there a big "boycott TLC" thing in the works somewhere? 

• Love 1

Another new clip. This one is better, fake party footage - Joe talks about he scandal, cries, says he doesn't want to be like Josh anymore. I'm not a fan of, the 'yeah, we knew he was a molester, no big deal, but the AM scandal was bad" line of reasoning. Like having your sisters violated wasn't enough to make you wary of Josh? I wish he'd tell dear old dad he doesn't want to be like him...

It's vain, but Joe's looks are fading, not as fast as the other boys, but it's happening.

http://www.people.com/article/josh-duggar-brothers-speak-out-jill-jessa-counting-on-exclusive

A late edit to add that I'm PISSED that so far no one in the family has offered consolation to the victims. Stop talking about vile Josh and start helping the people he hurt. Joe could've said how upset he was for them, and maybe cooked dinner some night, so they could take a break, or something.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6

Another new clip. This one is better, fake party footage - Joe talks about he scandal, cries, says he doesn't want to be like Josh anymore. I'm not a fan of, the 'yeah, we knew he was a molester, no big deal, but the AM scandal was bad" line of reasoning. Like having your sisters violated wasn't enough to make you wary of Josh? I wish he'd tell dear old dad he doesn't want to be like him...

It's vain, but Joe's looks are fading, not as fast as the other boys, but it's happening.

http://www.people.com/article/josh-duggar-brothers-speak-out-jill-jessa-counting-on-exclusive

A late edit to add that I'm PISSED that so far no one in the family has offered consolation to the victims. Stop talking about vile Josh and start helping the people he hurt. Joe could've said how upset he was for them, and maybe cooked dinner some night, so they could take a break, or something.

Keep in mind that this a reality tv show, and the producers cull and edit footage to suit their narrative. Solo talking heads are implicitly about the talking heads, and they are usually told what to "reflect" upon. Joe and John-David could have offered consolation to the victims off camera, like normal people.
  • Love 4

What the boys said is kind of unexpected, at least to me. I think I remember Josiah having braces, but it appears neither JD nor Joe have had them.

The first Josh stuff. Seriously...Really... He cannot admit his own brothers molested five girls, but he does not want to be like him because he had affairs. Wow just wow!!! And what the heck was going on with the boys and their lips.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/jessa-and-jill-duggar-compare-their-pregnancy-bodies-in-counting-on-clip-watch-w159448

Another new clip. Nursedoctor Jill is in full effect.The men are awful. This show looks SO BORING.

This is the first time I have watched Ben speak and  WOW, he really seems pretty dim.  I could barely get through the clip, I kept wanting to tell them to hurry up and spit it out (whatever the hell they were trying to say).   No scintillating conversationalist there...

• Love 6

The first Josh stuff. Seriously...Really... He cannot admit his own brothers molested five girls, but he does not want to be like him because he had affairs. Wow just wow!!! And what the heck was going on with the boys and their lips.

It also frosts me that he has to say that he had previously had respect for Josh because Josh stood up and said what they "believe as Christians" -- that you should be "true to your wife." As if that's an idea that's confined to Christians and as if "standing up and saying it" actually means anything. 

I realize that duncy uneducated Joe wouldn't know any better than that since he's been fed this crap all his life, but the continual drumbeat from these people about how nobody who doesn't hold their religious beliefs has any ethics or morals or principles at all just drives me nuts. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16

Totally understand, as I was quite skeptical when introduced to that site years ago.  He has called many things over the years, but most recently, he had the scoop on Charlie Sheen's HIV before it hit the news.  He also reported that Josh was part of  the Ashley Madison scandal (in a blind item, as is his norm) right before it went public as well.  Every January 1st and July 4th, he does nothing but reveals on the blind items of the past year. 

He's also been right about couples in trouble like Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert and Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck. 

I won't watch this, but I look forward to the snark on here. 

He's also been right about couples in trouble like Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert and Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck. 

I won't watch this, but I look forward to the snark on here. 

The rest of the readership probably doesn't care about the Duggars, but the guy (?) who writes the website made a comment a long time ago (paraphrased) that there is also some issue with Jim Boob.

It's all I want for Christmas, Santa.

• Love 14

I just can't make myself watch live or even taped. I can't stand to see their faces or hear their voices in my home, even if it is just on my TV.

But I truly thank those who are willing to watch as our proxies, and report back.

Same here. Just hearing Anna saying when she heard about "what happened" in the commercial is enough to turn my stomach. That's enough to make me not watch. Shouldn't she be saying "when I heard what my husband did"? Instead of saying what happened?

This didn't just happen. This is something her self righteous husband consciously did, its not something that just happened.

That little sentence right there shows me that she will never blame him for any of it and she sure as hell will never leave.

I wonder who the show's sponsors will be.

• Love 11

I keep wondering what the "what happened" refers to.  Josh molesting his sisters and another girl? Cheating on her?  The media reporting it? Something else entirely and it just made for a good preview?

• Love 7

I know pregnancy, especially your first, is exciting to you, but really, it's not enough to carry a show. It's painfully boring and yes, Ben and Derick have about as much combined personality as a rug.

The jaw pain and earaches I have right now is less painful than watching the video. And hate to burst her bubble, but Jill is still playing nurse.

Feel better! Yes, she is playing nurse, because of course real nurses are defrauding in their scrub pants and are disobedient wives working 12 hour shifts rather than being chained to their houses. It reminds me of the friend of the Wallers who in her blog said that she wanted to go to medical school but her father "had a caution" and god laid it on his heart that she should get a health certificate by mail from Gothard land. It's just heart-breaking.

Yes, over and over again you hear from fundies that nonbelievers have no morals. I know so many loving, faithful people who have no religion at all, and have known many religious hypocrites who cheated. It's kind of ridiculous for them to keep up the farce at this point but they really believe it.

• Love 13

Not to defend Joe & JD, but I think it is a combination of things. They were young when the molestations happened, they most likely bought into the whole Josh found Jesus thing, and like Churchie said, most folks are very uncomfortable talking about molestation of children. The fact that they say they no longer believe in or respect Josh is something. Maybe a day late and dollar short, but it is something.

• Love 11

I keep wondering what the "what happened" refers to.  Josh molesting his sisters and another girl? Cheating on her?  The media reporting it? Something else entirely and it just made for a good preview?

My guess is she's really talking about the complications Jill had with Israel's birth, and the promo people are just playing it up as something more in the hopes that more people will watch if it's something dramatic. It'll probably be bookended with her saying that since her deliveries where all normal, she thought Jill's would be just fine too.

• Love 7

I noticed MEchelle & other Duggars in the video. Were they at a dinner? Possibly the Dullard's good bye dinner? MEchelle walked up to one on the younger girls who looked like she was having a hard time holding a baby. Do you think MEchelle would help by taking the baby from her? No, the Mother of the Year just stood there fiddling with the young girl's hair while the little girl was trying to keep hold of the baby.

• Love 3

http://extratv.com/videos/0-r8tgu798/

Jinger's breakdown clip. Again, the AM scandal was the most important thing. No comment on the molestation, other than the evil media. The footage of her with Jessa (at a consignment store?) is coma inducing. Once they run out of scandal material no one is going to watch.

Poor kid. She seems so uncomfortable trying to formulate her understandably confused feelings about her brother. And yet her parents are A-OK with having her display her struggle in front of all and sundry. I would think they would especially hesitate knowing there are people who will take some pleasure in the fall from grace. Who subjects their kids to this?. Maybe the daughters really do want to share the story to show the value of forgiveness or some other lofty goal. But I just can't fathom it myself. Why in public?? Again, it makes me feel a little sorry for Josh. Yes, he has behaved very badly. But does he deserve this? Do any of them? Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5

also why does it seem like Jinger does not care at all what chair Jessa picks??

Jessa has the good fortune of a new baby to add some joy to her life amidst all this Josh mess. She has something happy to focus on, even if it is just feathering her nest. Jinger just has more of the same to look forward to- probably they all have to pray about Josh every day and just continue to sit around the waiting room talking about Jesus - and perhaps privately wondering why Jesus seems to have failed them. Jinger looks a bit depressed, and if she is, she is probably having some trouble caring about a chair. She may even feel a bit envious that Jessa is embarking on a new Season of Life. And then of course she would have to confess that sinful thought and work through THAT guilt. Fun times.

• Love 12

Looks like they're taking great pains to not actually describe what it is they're talking about. Or it could just be their inarticulate nature.

also why does it seem like Jinger does not care at all what chair Jessa picks??

Jessa wanted the white chair, no point in arguing with a stubborn idiot. She'll learn the hard way, and she probably did with her blood all over that white armchair.
  • Love 2

Wow, Jinger had zero fucks to give in that thrift shop scene. I love how she didn't try to hide it.

That white armchair is going to get dirty and dingy very fast. IMO, white or ivory furniture is for those "good" rooms that are just for show which your mother never let you set foot in as a child. The oils from your hands and skin alone will muddy the fabric in no time.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

Wow, Jinger had zero fucks to give in that thrift shop scene. I love how she didn't try to hide it.

That white armchair is going to get dirty and dingy very fast. IMO, white or ivory furniture is for those "good" rooms that are just for show which your mother never let you set foot in as a child. The oils from your hands and skin alone will muddy the fabric in no time.

Jinger will be sure to wear extra fake tan and bronzer.
  • Love 4

I just looked at my onscreen program guide. Interesting scheduling. Tomorrow's "Counting On . . " episode - actually it's 19K&C Rebooted - is preceded by a new episode of Kate Plus 8, and is followed by the premiere of a new show, Married By Mom and Dad.

Is TLC scheduling new shows with ratings leaders (Kate and Duggars) as a lead in to the new show as a way of attracting viewers to the new one?

Of course, all the Duggar kids are, or will be, married by dad (the headship - who chooses their spouses), so I'm slightly amused by 19K&C Rebooted being next to Married by Mom and Dad in the lineup.

TLC Australia have actually scheduled Jill & Jessa: Counting On for prime time Tuesday the 15th. Usually it takes months for the show to get here, the final season didn't even begin to air here because of Josh scandal #1.

TLC Australia have actually scheduled Jill & Jessa: Counting On for prime time Tuesday the 15th. Usually it takes months for the show to get here, the final season didn't even begin to air here because of Josh scandal #1.

I can't begin to tell you how happy it makes me to hear that. 

• Love 3

It feels like they're spoiling all the juicy bits (everything about Josh, all the tears) in these neverending promos. I predict there will be nothing even mildly interesting or titillating left unseen by the time the show airs, the same way a so-so movie uses up all the good jokes in the trailer. It will just be extended versions of that riveting chair shopping or the Dillards and Seewalds sitting around pretending to chat. So not watching.

• Love 5

Jinger's tears are for herself. It's heartbreaking. Speculation, sure, but I like it too.

Oh absolutely, they're clearly for her.  She literally sighs out loud when she's in the white chair.  That's, well at least it is when I do it, "I am not only wholly uninterested in anything you're saying; I'd also like to be having a totally different conversation with you, or anybody."  I'm sure she'd wildly prefer to be discussing the elephant in the room.  She's listless and bored, if not downright depressed.

• Love 7

Jinger really doesn't have 2 f*cks to give re that chair in the clip. It seems as though Jessa probably sniped at her for some reason and Jinger decided to just not play along for the cameras. It just seems to me they were having a tiff that we (of course) won't be shown but are left to rehash here what could account for Jinger's attitude.

• Love 4

It could also be Jinger's way of letting Jessa know she's over her bullshit and isn't willing to play nice for the cameras. Jessa left Jinger in the dust when she got married and now she needs a BFF to shoot scenes with because she has no other friends. Jinger is hip to the game and is making Jessa look bad. The gloves are off and it's awesome!

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 16

It could also be Jinger's way of letting Jessa know she's over her bullshit and isn't willing to play nice for the cameras. Jessa left Jinger in the dust when she got married and now she needs a BFF to shoot scenes with because she has no other friends. Jinger is hip to the game and is making Jessa look bad. The gloves are off and it's awesome!

You said it so much better than I. My thoughts exactly!
  • Love 4