Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I do not know what scare me more, the Duggars praying to God their show will encourage and bless others, or people actually believe the crap they like to spread around. https://www.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/posts/607841622682824

The Duggars encourage me to use birth control (from Planned Parenthood, no less). They encourage me to read books, wear pants and get a degree. See, they really are a blessing and encouragement to some!

• Love 13

The Duggars encourage me to stand up for certain people rights, to have my own thoughts and opinions, not to blindly believe something because a certain person wrote or said it, and to do good for others because I want to help, not to get the attention or feed my ego. Thank you Duggars.

The Duggars encourage me to keep wearing pants, to maintain a more historically orthodox faith, to value people as individuals, and to always consider someone's religious preferences their own private business unless they choose to make it public.  If I still had children at home, they would encourage me to instill a sense of curiosity, independence, self-reliance, and intellectual analysis in them.

• Love 9

My extended family is a lot like the Duggars, only a different subculture, not Gothard. I grew up in a sort of hybrid sect, and speak fluent Fundy. My wedding looked a lot like Josh and Anna's, for instance. I started watching the show with my son so he could understand his family a little better, and even me, since my sisters and I still talk about our childhood as something like a foreign country. He's now nearly grown and so appreciative of the life and childhood he's had, so I suppose the Duggars have encouraged our family too, just not in the way they supposed! :)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 4

The Duggars encourage me to not take the childhood I had for granted and to keep them in mind the next time I grumble about how my parents never let me do anything. The Duggars encourage me to keep fighting for equality and civil rights and to not become complacent by assuming that no one could possibly think as they do anymore. The Duggars, with their squeaky clean image on-screen juxtaposed with their hatred/bigotry off-screen, encourage me to be wary of wolves in sheep's clothing and to not be taken in by someone just because they're soft-spoken and look good.

Bless you, Duggars!

• Love 17

The Duggars encourage me to not take the childhood I had for granted and to keep them in mind the next time I grumble about how my parents never let me do anything. The Duggars encourage me to keep fighting for equality and civil rights and to not become complacent by assuming that no one could possibly think as they do anymore. The Duggars, with their squeaky clean image on-screen juxtaposed with their hatred/bigotry off-screen, encourage me to be wary of wolves in sheep's clothing and to not be taken in by someone just because they're soft-spoken and look good.

Bless you, Duggars!

Another "well-said" to you, galax-arena. Couldn't agree with you more.

• Love 1

They encourage me to be grateful for the fact that I KNOW my two children -- their likes, dislikes, hopes, dreams ... what makes them laugh, what scares them, what their favorite foods are. They encourage me to be thankful that my kids don't have to sign up for one-on-one time with me. And they encourage me to be grateful for the trained professional who trims my hair and colors my roots every four weeks.

• Love 11

Oh, if only there was a nice island out there with pleasant weather and enough land that the Duggars and their ilk could all move to together and start building the new world order.  They could build a society according to their perception of God's plan.  A new Eden, if you will.  They could fill their quivers with strong young people who were raised without the influence of the heathens that populate the rest of the planet.  Their young would be educated to their standards, taught the True Religion, and start new families according to the 'leave and cleave' guidelines as explained to us by Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar.  And when they have a large enough population they could send their smug, condescending, and clueless progeny out into the world to show us all the way to the true path of enlightenment.

Except the Duggars live here in the USA, and they're the '1984' version of fundamentalist Christian religion.  They've got a stranglehold over their children to the point where so far none of their kids has married unless given the green light from JB.  They abhor higher education, unless it's College Minus (look up College Plus, it's a joke of an online education program and it's unaccredited to boot.)  They have rules to follow, but they're continually finding ways around those rules. 

For instance, although Josh has required his wife to home birth on camera (with a male camera crew), Michelle has never given birth on camera.  She once had cameras present at an ultrasound, with an appropriately educated doctor using equipment designed by trained engineers in conjunction with skilled medical scientists.  Michelle never seemed to realize that she was happily using the services and equipment of the very people she views as not good enough for her family and should be avoided.  Instead, Michelle was only concerned that her belly be blurred when the footage was shown to us heathens.

I'm getting so worked up by the hyperbole and hypocrisy of these people, I need to step back now and calm down.

• Love 10

Oh, if only there was a nice island out there with pleasant weather and enough land that the Duggars and their ilk could all move to together and start building the new world order.

With no real professionals, like doctors, or engineers, or architects. I give that island two years until it degenerates into a blood orgy.

• Love 6

I think that religious utopia was once known as "New England" and it ultimately produced Boston and then when that got too worldly, they opened a colony in New Haven, CT. That eventually led to such godless institutions such as Harvard and Yale.

The Duggar grandchildren won't all be in "God's army. And probably a decent number of their children defect as well.

• Love 5
(edited)

Jana has no future plans listed, naturally, and Jill's is to have babies and go on missions. Goodbye Midwifery!

Favorite Bible character? Weren't they real people?

Who's the girl with JD? IS that Jana? Hard for my eyes to tell.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

It looks like the twins are done with the home-schooling (at the mature age of barely 16) and have moved on from jurisdictions to occupations like the rest of the "adults". Seems like Boob really is using his kids as labourers. I wonder if they get payed.

This list is really telling of their life-style. The boys have jurisdictions until their mid-teens when they're considered to be adults and get occupations. The girls remain as children with jurisdictions until they get married, when their occupation become wife and mother.

Reading the younger girl's future plans makes me both hopeful and sad. Hopeful because at least they know enough of the world now to realize that women can be doctors and vets, and sad because I sincerely doubt they will ever be allowed to pursue those dreams. Once they hit puberty they will be "convicted" that their future lies in home-making and child-bearing.

• Love 4

It puzzles me that Jessa's future plans are to "adopt lots and lots of children". It makes it sound as though they are not planning on having any biological children, which can't be right in their world. Unless for some reason she already knows that either she or Ben are infertile, biological children are pretty much inevitable, and on a fairly steady basis as long as she follows the Gothard doctrine and makes sure to be "available" whenever the mood should strike Ben and to refuse any sort of birth control. Is she looking to adopt child after child while simultaneously getting pregnant and spitting out a biological blessing every couple of years? I suppose that's one way to ensure that she out-does Michelle, but I don't really see Jessa as having that sort of ambition.

Oh, and the random overuse of apostrophes and the listing of everyone's "past-time" (past what? That's not just a misspelling, that's a phrase which makes no actual sense) had me wanting to knock some heads together.

• Love 7

Joy's jurisdiction is "overseer". Oh my, I don't even want to go there but another connotation popped in my mind when I read that. As usual, a poor choice of words on the Duggar's part.

"Real estate maintenance" - give me a break. Is this Ben's occupation too?

• Love 3

Real Estate Maintenance? Most likely that means that the poor kid will have to repair and maintain all of his father's improved real estate for little and next to nothing in pay; and that includes unclogging the shower drains at the TTH. Poor young man doesn't really have a chance at doing anything but what serves his parents' interests.

Poor James,, HIS favorite pass time is visiting Jill and Derick? That poor kid doesn't have much going on for him, does he. I would imagine derickdillard gives him the most attention he has ever received from anyone who was taller than him...that boy needs some activity and some real things to do and a good school to keep him interested...

Oh, and real estate agent? that's buying and selling Jim Bob's properties FOR Jim Bob...

Josiah: small business owner: That's going to be something that Jim Bob benefits from having done for free by Josiah; also benefitting the parents.

Jennifer: still wants to be a doctor? That's ok; they'll knock that right out of her as soon as she "is of age" to think about her marriage...about 14.

The same for Johanna: a veterinarian? How ironic ...to see that NOW...

• Love 2
(edited)

It puzzles me that Jessa's future plans are to "adopt lots and lots of children". It makes it sound as though they are not planning on having any biological children, which can't be right in their world. Unless for some reason she already knows that either she or Ben are infertile, biological children are pretty much inevitable, and on a fairly steady basis as long as she follows the Gothard doctrine and makes sure to be "available" whenever the mood should strike Ben and to refuse any sort of birth control. Is she looking to adopt child after child while simultaneously getting pregnant and spitting out a biological blessing every couple of years? I suppose that's one way to ensure that she out-does Michelle, but I don't really see Jessa as having that sort of ambition.

Oh, and the random overuse of apostrophes and the listing of everyone's "past-time" (past what? That's not just a misspelling, that's a phrase which makes no actual sense) had me wanting to knock some heads together.

Random use of apostrophes makes me want to do far more than knock some heads together, and I am not at all a violent person.

And as teacher Jilly Muff says "James is doing so good" at the homefoolimg.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3

Their mutilation of the English language speaks volumes about the quality of education they really are receiving...Anna included...I can't stand her poor grammar and improper pronunciation of the word "the".

• Love 1

Favorite Bible character? Weren't they real people?

Yes they were. If your Christians you tend to believe everything in the Bible is real. I don't suppose any of the Duggars would pick Deborah, Judith or Jael.

• Love 1
(edited)

When one leaves one's size of family "up to god" is adoption sanctioned?  Isn't that interfering? (Holy crap I just just just tried to say adoption sanctioned myself and WHAT A MOUTHFUL!)

Edited by Shugardrawers

Yes they were. If your Christians you tend to believe everything in the Bible is real. I don't suppose any of the Duggars would pick Deborah, Judith or Jael.

They should've called it Bible Figure then. It's like Homer Simpson  - "I love God, he's my favorite fictional character!"

• Love 1

It puzzles me that Jessa's future plans are to "adopt lots and lots of children". It makes it sound as though they are not planning on having any biological children, which can't be right in their world. Unless for some reason she already knows that either she or Ben are infertile, biological children are pretty much inevitable, 

Maybe they have tried a few times and it didn't work.   :)  Time for adoption.  Worked for Brad and Angie!

What would be the actual duties in the jurisdiction of overseer regarding JoyAnna? Is she in charge of the plantation now?

ROFL!  Plantation!  OMG!  You seriously gave me a crazy laugh- although you are seriously very correct. 

Their mutilation of the English language speaks volumes about the quality of education they really are receiving...Anna included...I can't stand her poor grammar and improper pronunciation of the word "the".

It's okay.  They purposed to have proper grammar. 

• Love 1

It would have to be a private agency. There's enough shady agencies out there. They could go to another country and basically buy a baby. Will be interesting to see the race of the child. They could go the Kelly Bates route - black sisters, but with the founder of the KKK on her house's walls.

It would have to be a private agency. There's enough shady agencies out there. They could go to another country and basically buy a baby. Will be interesting to see the race of the child. They could go the Kelly Bates route - black sisters, but with the founder of the KKK on her house's walls.

I don't understand.  Please explain.

Who did she have a picture of on her wall?  Very curious.  Wow.

I probably veered off  - to clarify. I'm think Jessa would have to go out of the country for an adapted child, and even in the US, a newborn, white, infant woudl cost Boob major $$$. For the record, I don't think Jessa and Bin could successfully adopt a hamster.

Kelly Bates: here's her family http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/post/61394747098/kellys-family , here's the picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28m1km1&s=6#.VP31sWbFqUc (Forrest founded the KKK). Don't forget Crown college's dating polices either.

I just don't want Jessa going down the same path of faux acceptance/anti racism as other fundie families, if she ever adopts.

• Love 2

I don't really believe Jessa wants to adopt, I thinh she just likes the idea of it. I'm just not seeing it. She is the least maternal of the Duggars, I think she and Ben threw that out there to get people off their scent about having kids.

• Love 8

Too hard to control those kids. Plus foster kids can stay anywhere from a day to forever. Too risky. Pieces of the heart get given away.

Plus the state monitors you.

What if Jessa got a 17 year old girl? She'd be more emotionally mature than her foster mother.

Edited by JoanArc

They won't. I guarantee it. We have done an adoption and there is no way those two could get through the paperwork. As for for international, the adoptions are pretty much shut down, and the countries still open have waits of several years. Now I can sleep at night, knowing some poor child won'the end up with those two boneheads.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 8

Too hard to control those kids. Plus foster kids can stay anywhere from a day to forever. Too risky. Pieces of the heart get given away.

Plus the state monitors you.

What if Jessa got a 17 year old girl? She'd be more emotionally mature than her foster mother.

Plus they require intensive parenting classes, income, background checks. And noway will they accept a 17 year old it would be a baby.

They won't. I guarantee it. We have done an adoption and there is no way those two could get through the paperwork. As for for international, the adoptions are pretty much shut down, and the countries still open have waits of several years. Now I can sleep at night, knowing some poor child won'the end up with those two boneheads.

I'm very happy that adoption agencies that I know of require some many things from foster and adoption parents. Some people might do it for the money but these people are rare. Benessa wouldn't even get approved.

Oh, the article below that one is about Jessa coming to Derick's defense re: catgate. I think it's the first time the Duggars have addressed the controversy? 

“He didn’t hit the cat,” Jessa, 22, told FM 100 Memphis. “It didn’t get run over.”

The 19 Kids And Counting star explained the hill was uneven and the cat “jumped out of the way.”

What type of weak-ass excuse is "the hill was uneven"? Even if that's true, we all saw Ben launch Derick directly at the cat. Considering how big the hill was, are we supposed to believe that that was just a coincidence? 

• Love 2

"He didn't hit the cat, he just really wanted to, and did all he could to try and hit it!"

"I tried to stab him, but he knife was too dull. No harm done!"

Isn't their whole worldview based on what's in your heart, even if nothing happens? A man could see an immodest woman and want to rape her, etc.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6