Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Money talks. I wonder how the advertising pull out will affect the future of this blight on humanity.

I would like to think it's the beginning of the end, but I'm delusional that way.

• Love 2

Money talks. I wonder how the advertising pull out will affect the future of this blight on humanity.

I would like to think it's the beginning of the end, but I'm delusional that way.

Hey, if it's the end of the show, can TLC at least film Jessa and Bin's reaction?

• Love 9

Would they go with their buddies?

Questions:

1. Is Arkansas a no-fault divorce state? If TLC wanted to make some BIG money, they could put the divorce hearing on PPV. And I would buy it, because watching J-Chelle and Jim Boob rip each other a new one via lawyers in a courtroom would be appointment TV.

2.  Pleeeeeeeease, baby Jesus, plleeeeaaase: I can't wait until they turn on each other and the truth starts coming out.

• Love 5

Hey, if it's the end of the show, can TLC at least film Jessa and Bin's reaction?

Me too.

But part of me thinks their affect could be duplicated with cast-off edited clips.

It was a dark and difficult time.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

Me too.

But part of me thinks their affect could be duplicated with cast-off edited clips.It was a dark and difficult time.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

With lots of walk through and laid it on our hearts blather.

• Love 5

This question is not specific to the Michelle and Jim Bob thread, but to all Duggar-related in general:

Why is it so damned impossible to get real information out to the public about this clan? No reliable news source (Reuters, Washington Post, etc.) ever publish news about them. Just how thick is the informational wall of barbed wire around their compound? Why aren't more cousins, second cousins, neighbors, etc willing tell all they know, and have their stories published by real news sources?

I know that's a lot of questions for Easter Sunday, but surely the rest of you are as frustrated as I am at the lack of effective investigative reporting about this vile tribe.

• Love 7

This question is not specific to the Michelle and Jim Bob thread, but to all Duggar-related in general:
Why is it so damned impossible to get real information out to the public about this clan? No reliable news source (Reuters, Washington Post, etc.) ever publish news about them. Just how thick is the informational wall of barbed wire around their compound? Why aren't more cousins, second cousins, neighbors, etc willing tell all they know, and have their stories published by real news sources?

I know that's a lot of questions for Easter Sunday, but surely the rest of you are as frustrated as I am at the lack of effective investigative reporting about this vile tribe.

• Love 2

It appears that with the Duggars, and other scary culty fundy groups, unless they are found doing something illegal they are left alone.

Otherwise it can just sound like gossip and innuendo.

And it usually has to be a pretty big illegal somethng for the system to come knocking. Religious freedom can play a mighty big role in not pursuing some offenses. And the secrecy w/in some cults can thwart invesigating some pretty awful things.

• Love 4

I really think no one knows who they are, because they're a bunch of families spread throughout the country, and as NewDigs posted, they hide behind religion. The Gothard story may become more public once the case gets underway. The Catholic church was able to hide molestation and pedophilia for decades, as was/is FLDS.

It appears in a lot of these cases, they have political connections as well. Someone who makes a living as an true investigative reporter has to weigh public interest and support against how many people they'll piss off. If the story never gains traction to bring in viewers and readers it won't make money and you risk pissing the wrong people off.

• Love 5

Hardly any resources for investigative reporting exist any more, though. The very very corporate, completely advertiser-driven media generally doesn't support investigative reporting of any kind. So to the extent that it's still done -- either by some standard media outlets or by the newer sources doing it, such as very small outlets and nonprofits -- nobody's going to waste very scarce resources to investigate people who have no actual power and whose nuttiness is therefore of little consequence compared to the issues of a big oil company or a public agency or a significant lawmaker or something. Since the Duggars are in the public eye only as entertainment, what they do isn't consequential enough for anybody to devote time and money to investigating. Jim Bob has fucked over his own family and may give a few airhead tv watchers some bad ideas about how to run a household -- but that doesn't rise to the level of malfeasance by the Pentagon or Monsanto or whatever.

And then when it comes to the whole Gothard mania, you run into the fact that they're a conservative Protestant Christian cult. In this long-time Protestant country where a loud and explicit conservative Protestant vote is extremely extremely important to one of the two major political parties, you really aren't going to get much investigation of Christian groups, especially Protestant ones, and especially conservative Protestant ones, no matter what. Everybody's way too afraid of the outrage and backlash that explodes if you say something that someone construes as an attack on Christianity. And, again, the nuttiness of Gothardism just doesn't spread very far. It's always been a relatively small group and is getting smaller. Even though there have been a fair number of investigative stories in the past, pretty much none of them have taken hold or spread beyond one or two media outlets. People just haven't cared about it. Not big and influential enough to be worth having a bunch of people call you anti-Christian and anti-religious freedom.

• Love 20

That is exactly what they believe.

Yes! I've always wondered the exact same thing! I get that TLC had a vested interest pre-Joshgates to keep them looking as pure and sweet and precious as possible. But post-molestation scandal? REALLY? Not one single journalist is willing to call out this family or this cult--in fact, there seems to be every effort made to put the molestations out of everyone's minds, such as focusing ONLY on the Ashley Madison crap when the family talks about how much Josh "betrayed" them. Between what I've been learning about the IFB cults and the Duggars' powerful famewhore gene, it is both mind-bloggling and terrifying. The only reference to the molestations I've read recently (and granted, I don't read that much about the Duggars apart from here) said something like "when it was discovered Josh molested a number of minors..." No mention of the fact that the vast majority of those minors were HIS SISTERS. I just can't get my head around it.

The fact that mainstream media shines a light on the Duggars - instead of calling them out on their weirdness of the whole Gothard cult, is exactly what other media SHOULD BE investigating. Right now that's the most notable thing about this family. And the outlet brave enough to take on this issue should first be asking: "If this family had 19 kids and a SAHM and was African-American, or Mexican, or Muslim, or anything except waspy white, what would the public be hearing about them - and what would the public be saying about them?" The next question to be tackled - who exactly are the leg-humpers? Because I think it's important to point out that the Duggar "fans" - the people leaving all the sweet "We love and support your wonderful family, praise, praise, Jesus, Jesus...." comments are, for the most part, tween and teen girls like the Duggar girls themselves - as well as 20-something fundie SAHM and grandmoms. Or basically females who see a lot of their own stories in that of the Duggar girls and Me-chelle.

• Love 7

New article on Fox News about how advertisers are backing away from the Duggars: The complicated relationship between the Duggars and TLC

There's nothing earth shaking in the article, but there was this:

"Though the Duggars have a loyal fan base, it’s not enough to prompt the network to plan to put Josh Duggar back on the air—even though he’s been to rehab."

Rehab? I hadn't heard about this. Rehab for what? Hookers? Is this delayed sex-offender rehab or was it revealed that he had some sort of substance abuse problem? (I don't follow the duggars much, so this may be obvious info to everyone else here.)

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3

New article on Fox News about how advertisers are backing away from the Duggars: The complicated relationship between the Duggars and TLC

There's nothing earth shaking in the article, but there was this:

"Though the Duggars have a loyal fan base, it’s not enough to prompt the network to plan to put Josh Duggar back on the air—even though he’s been to rehab."

Rehab? I hadn't heard about this. Rehab for what? Hookers? Is this delayed sex-offender rehab or was it revealed that he had some sort of substance abuse problem? (I don't follow the duggars much, so this may be obvious info to everyone else here.)

In that article, TLC's Nancy Daniels stated that there are “millions and millions of viewers”, which is untrue.  Tuesday night's episode only had 1,297,000 viewers.  

• Love 2

TLC doesn't have much else. There's like 200+ cable channels, if people leave the tv on TLC after watching J&J:CO, it'll probably be worth it financially.

Edited by Kokapetl

I've never watched Discovery Channel's Tree-house Masters, but I find it amusing that some of the tree-houses look so similar to the Duggar new playhouse. Anyone think we will have an episode where Joy decides to go catch a big tuna? 

• Love 3

I've never watched Discovery Channel's Tree-house Masters, but I find it amusing that some of the tree-houses look so similar to the Duggar new playhouse. Anyone think we will have an episode where Joy decides to go catch a big tuna? 

I'm holding out for the Duggar/Gold Rush cross over in which they follow Todd Hoffman down to Guyana or some other place where they can combine the Duggar love of faux missionary work and Hoffman's inept gold mining/throwing a lot of money into a hole in the ground.  And the kids can learn a trade!  

• Love 3
(edited)

This one will hit the tabloids soon. Cancel the Duggars has already sent the screenshots to TMZ, among others! As usual, more proof that the show is totally staged. Read the comments from Eric, who played the guy interested in buying the car. No wonder the deal fell through; there was really none to begin with! LMAO! 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153559677529077&substory_index=0&id=522989076

And if the tabloids don't respond to Cancel, I guess someone will pick up this post and run with it. LOL

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

This one will hit the tabloids soon. Cancel the Duggars has already sent the screenshots to TMZ, among others! As usual, more proof that the show is totally staged. Read the comments from Eric, who played the guy interested in buying the car. No wonder the deal fell through; there was really none to begin with! LMAO! 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153559677529077&substory_index=0&id=522989076

And if the tabloids don't respond to Cancel, I guess someone will pick up this post and run with it. LOL

So, the Duggars and TLC are caught again in more lies!

Eric: "A friend of mine works on the crew and invited me to play the role of 'guy who wants to buy car.'  The Duggars live and their show is filmed in this area of Arkansas."

• Love 5

That's pathetic. Totally pathetic. Since TLC is clearly struggling for gimmicks and having to spend money hiring extras, how about this: let PTV produce an episode! We conduct the TH interviews and edit the raw footage. You want to talk about a ratings spike.

• Love 9

So even though the whole car selling scene was fake and staged and no actual dollars were at risk, they still wouldn't even let Jinger (pretend to) negotiate the deal herself.

I guess they didn't want to give her any crazy ideas about actually doing it on her own for real some day, god forbid.

• Love 14

So my fiance actually worked for Eric while he was in college, and he bragged all about the appearance on the show. Fiance said Eric seemed totally over the Duggs when we watched the episode together. Fiance didn't understand why I was so excited and kept saying, "This will prove it isn't real to leghumpers!"

"What are leghumpers?" he asked. I sighed. Maybe we aren't compatible after all.

Sorry, back to topic. Yes, if enough of these stories come out maybe the Duggars will have to admit their show is scripted. Or maybe leghumpers will defend them to the death. We shall see.

• Love 3

Don't forget what Jessa said: "We're just a family that happens to be on TV." So much bullshit in that comment. 

We know it's fake. We have proof it's fake. What will it take for the leghumpers to catch on and stop watching this stuff thinking that it's encouraging and/or edifying in some way? 

• Love 4
(edited)

In fairness to the Duggars, all reality shows are scripted and fake.

As long as the show is profitable for TLC, it will continue.

Pretty much, but once the contrivance becomes too much they usually end it.  Think of the Roloffs and their stupid wedding show.  It may take a little while and hopefully some of the kids stop playing along (think Jacob Roloff) and the slow swirl around the toilet bowl begins.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 8

Some of the leghumpers will never get it.  I've rehabbed quite a few to see the light, but frequently it takes a face to face conversation pointing out a lot of discrepancies. Their most devoted audience doesn't follow them that much on the internet. 

• Love 4

So exactly what is their ministry again? Lie on television? Lie and take donations/accept payment for their lives-as-godly ministry? How can anyone even believe that they are worried about saving ONE soul from the fires of damnation? This is about the $God, always has been.

• Love 6
(edited)

Nancy Daniels, TLC's General Manager, told FOX411 she believes there is a small vocal group that is against the Duggars. She also said the network routinely places advertisers where they want to be.

"At the end of the day we have millions and millions of young loyal viewers who support the [Duggar] girls," she said.

This just makes my week.

First of all, Nance, just throwing this one out here. If those who are tired of you and your network's attempts to normalize child molestation via a faked and scripted "reality show" (please see several media outlets today for the reveal of your production group's scripting of a recent episode) are such a "small vocal group", it's flat-out astonishing that they managed to force your network into a $24 million write-down due to the research and organizing involved in a significant advertiser boycott of 19KAC, isn't it? It's more than a bit comical to me that you didn't learn from the last experience. You must be one of those kind of people that rides the horse until it bucks you. And $24 million is a hell of a lot of pony rides. Instead of realizing that those who continue to be disgusted by your network's efforts aren't going away, you and TLC doubled down. This season's "all about the healing", isn't it? This is after both Duggar daughters featured insist that they have no lasting effects from the molestation they suffered, they're being "victimized" by the media, bla bla bla. Really?

The same "small vocal group" is at work again organizing advertiser boycotts, and it's already paying off, according to yesterday's Forbes and several other financial publications. One would have to imagine the sheer number of e-mail and snail mail communications involved; companies as large as UPS don't act unless there's compelling reason to do so, I'm guessing.

So here we are again. And your insistence that the Duggars' "YOUNG fans" will be out purchasing from "Counting On" advertisers would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. It's hard to imagine that males from 18-30 are tuning in for this trainwreck. (Aren't they still the primary ad demographic in the US?) You might want to explain who those "millions and millions" of viewers are; the latest ratings info posted here isn't anywhere near "millions and millions".

How much was your soul worth?

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 10

They must do well with women in the 18-49 demographic, which is where the purchasing power in this country is. I don't see any appeal to males at all. Zero male leghumpers that I've noticed (not that I read much, just what is brought back over to groups I'm in), and even the snark group here is overwhelmingly female (do we have another guy posting here aside from Koka?). 

As long as that demographic is aligned with whatever TLC is able to cobble together w/r/t advertisers during their show these days, the show will probably be safe unless it drops another half million viewers. They were down around 800k and on the verge of cancellation before we were overwhelmed with the courtships, weddings, and babies. I guess they figure if they can marry off one a year, that covers engagement in one season, the wedding in the other. But that means someone needs to be on deck PRONTO to keep this charade going with any steam. Steam it's been consistently lost over the first three episodes. 

• Love 3

But that means someone needs to be on deck PRONTO to keep this charade going with any steam. Steam it's been consistently lost over the first three episodes.

Interesting you say that, because JD's plea for courtship partners to come and find THEM sure had an air of desperation, didn't it? If you consider that Jessa is the "hot" daughter and the best she could do is Bin, that pretty much sums up the extent of their options.

Maybe it's time for Marge to resurface...

• Love 6

I really don't get that advertisers who once advertised on the show are now pulling out. No matter what I think of the Duggars' way of life, the kids from JD down to Josie did nothing wrong. 

As I've expressed before, discounting anyone's feelings on a past trauma isn't cool in my book. I totally would think it stupid to film Josh at all, and I get why many folks don't want JB & M filmed. But this feels a little like blaming a victim/survivor, too me anyway.

• Love 5

Interesting you say that, because JD's plea for courtship partners to come and find THEM sure had an air of desperation, didn't it? If you consider that Jessa is the "hot" daughter and the best she could do is Bin, that pretty much sums up the extent of their options.

The new TLC show doesn't stand a chance unless someone starts a courtship and has a wedding soon.  But, since most of the audience for the show is female, viewers will care more if a Duggar daughter gets married rather than one of the sons.  That's just the way it is.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Interesting you say that, because JD's plea for courtship partners to come and find THEM sure had an air of desperation, didn't it?

Why would anyone in their right mind want to "come and find" any one of the single Duggar adult children? Who'd want Jim Boob and J-Chelle for in-laws after what they've seen on the show over the past three seasons? And who would want to deal with the ginormous issues involved in marrying an adult who has significant educational and social gaps that the prospective husband or wife will have to deal with day in and day out?

Did JD not get the memo? Isn't he supposed to be on the hunt for the "right girl", and not the other way around?

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 11
But this feels a little like blaming a victim/survivor, too me anyway.

They can't have it both ways. They want to star in a reality show to the tune of $40K a week while insisting in broadcast and print media that they aren't victimized, nothing happened to them, but TLC's theme for the season is "healing". Really? "Healing" from what? Their alleged victimization at the hands of the media, which they are still participating in?

• Love 13

I really don't get that advertisers who once advertised on the show are now pulling out. No matter what I think of the Duggars' way of life, the kids from JD down to Josie did nothing wrong.

As I've expressed before, discounting anyone's feelings on a past trauma isn't cool in my book. I totally would think it stupid to film Josh at all, and I get why many folks don't want JB & M filmed. But this feels a little like blaming a victim/survivor, too me anyway.

Perhaps the advertisers have cottoned on to the fact that the show is basically a giant ad for Gothardism/Quiverfull and they don't want to be connected to a misogynist cult led by sexual predators espousing the complete subjugation of females and the oppression of GLBT people. I'm sure there have been plenty of letters and e-mails informing them of this fact over the past year.

There appears to be a much stronger awareness among the general public about both ATI and the Quiverfull movement than before, at least going by the comments on the Duggar-related articles I've come across. They're not all accurate, but the knowledge is out there now and I'm thinking the PR departments of most companies must be aware of it as well. Also, on every article on the Duggars the comments are 90% negative so I can see why companies would want to stay the hell away from the whole mess. Why risk antagonising potential customers just to cater to a small subset of people who aren't part of any desirable marketing demographic?

• Love 14

Perhaps the advertisers have cottoned on to the fact that the show is basically a giant ad for Gothardism/Quiverfull and they don't want to be connected to a misogynist cult led by sexual predators espousing the complete subjugation of females and the oppression of GLBT people. I'm sure there have been plenty of letters and e-mails informing them of this fact over the past year.

There appears to be a much stronger awareness among the general public about both ATI and the Quiverfull movement than before, at least going by the comments on the Duggar-related articles I've come across. They're not all accurate, but the knowledge is out there now and I'm thinking the PR departments of most companies must be aware of it as well. Also, on every article on the Duggars the comments are 90% negative so I can see why companies would want to stay the hell away from the whole mess. Why risk antagonising potential customers just to cater to a small subset of people who aren't part of any desirable marketing demographic?

These reasons make sense to me. But it's not like the Duggars just became Gothard - they've been spouting it the whole time.

I hope you're right and the advertisers have just become more aware of the Duggs twisted ways of faith, and not because the molestations of the girls were made public. But the show was canceled due to that.

If I was a product boycotter, there are many shows other than the Duggars I find more offensive because their offensive shticks are more subtle. But I wouldn't know who to write or what products to boycott, because I just don't watch.

I'm actually a bit bothered by advertisers that kowtow with knee jerk reactions to what they feel is the majority opinion when many people don't have a strong opinion one way or another.

• Love 2
I hope you're right and the advertisers have just become more aware of the Duggs twisted ways of faith, and not because the molestations of the girls were made public. But the show was canceled due to that.

I don't believe the show was cancelled because the girls were molested; it was cancelled because Josh (a prominent cast member) molested girls and his parents covered it up while pretending to be this wholesome, moral Christian family. Semantics perhaps but important ones. If the girls had been molested by a stranger or someone not a family member appearing on the show, the show would not have been cancelled.

I'm actually a bit bothered by advertisers that kowtow with knee jerk reactions to what they feel is the majority opinion when many people don't have a strong opinion one way or another.

I'm actually quite conflicted about this. On one hand I agree with you that knee-jerk reactions are never a good thing and can lead to all sorts of bad decisions; on the other hand I am a big fan of consumers voting with their feet because it is basically the only way citizens have any say over what these very powerful companies do.

In this particular case I'm not sure I would call it a knee-jerk reaction though. The scandals are almost a year old by now and if the advertisers are still pulling out, I'm thinking it's more of a calculated plan based on a year's worth of negative public reactions. They have literally nothing to gain by being connected to the Duggars. The Duggars appear to elicit almost universally negative reactions right now so any brand connected to them risks getting tainted.

• Love 11
(edited)

I might have briefly zoned out through the few shows I've seen but I don't remember getting a wack-a-doodle-religion vibe. Not much time was even spent on the "mission" and I'm still wondering, Why so many backpacks, Duggars?

I watched their tv beginnings via the Today Show and watched their segments 'til their schtick moved from vaguely trainwrecky interesting to really annoying. And I didn't get nor do I remember being told about their extreme religious views. I got more of a Little House on the Prairie vibe.

I learned all that here. And it's fascinating and appalling.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 3

As a previous comment noted, "There are none so blind as those who do not want to see." Leghumpers seem to live in a fantasy of what they perceive life was the 1940's-'50's. I'm sure they would completely buy into Ozzie & Harriet and Leave It to Beaver as much as they believe the Duggars are 'real'.

That's actually quite an interesting observation...Because I wonder, really, how much of their fan base comes from the Ozzie & Harriet generation anyway? I mean, I'm 57, and even at that I was too young to see the show in its natural habitat...to say nothing of the fact that it was doubtless an idealized family from the get-go, rather in the same way that no-one really believes that "Friends" was a true-to-life illustration of a bunch of 20-somethings with marginal jobs surviving in NYC.

Sooo....what "reality" from which golden era does anyone think the Duggars really exemplify?

• Love 2

That's actually quite an interesting observation...Because I wonder, really, how much of their fan base comes from the Ozzie & Harriet generation anyway? I mean, I'm 57, and even at that I was too young to see the show in its natural habitat...to say nothing of the fact that it was doubtless an idealized family from the get-go, rather in the same way that no-one really believes that "Friends" was a true-to-life illustration of a bunch of 20-somethings with marginal jobs surviving in NYC.

Sooo....what "reality" from which golden era does anyone think the Duggars really exemplify?

Wishful thinking, if you do everything correct everything will be fine.

Questions:

1. Is Arkansas a no-fault divorce state? If TLC wanted to make some BIG money, they could put the divorce hearing on PPV. And I would buy it, because watching J-Chelle and Jim Boob rip each other a new one via lawyers in a courtroom would be appointment TV.

2. Pleeeeeeeease, baby Jesus, plleeeeaaase: I can't wait until they turn on each other and the truth starts coming out.

All American states have no fault divorce, New York was the last to allow it in 2010.

(edited)

Please. ..no.

Everytime i see her, the songs "if they could see me now" and "hooray for hollywood" are in my head. Not a fan of Marge in Charge.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 3