Type keyword(s) to search

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt In The Media

I think it's a big stretch to take a spoof and turn it into bullying.  Tina Fey is not trying to exert social dominance over anyone.  He was clearly a troubled man, it was his choice to take his own life.

• Love 4

I agree. He wasn't presented as malicious or evil, and most of the social commentary was around plastic surgery in general, not that this guy was bad in particular. It's unfortunate that he took it so personally, but it certainly didn't seem like they were trying to point to this guy as being evil or malicious.

If anything, Marcia Clark has more standing to bitch. 

• Love 3

I, too, feel bad for Marty Short. He's a great comedian...and loved his portrayal of Jiminy Glick. Glick was said to be patterned after Merv Griffin, but Merv didn't kill himself over it.

Unfortunately, this doctor had a LOT of troubles/depression that the world is unaware of, and most likely none related to the show. For the media to use this show or even mention it as an excuse for his suicide is beyond ridiculous IMO.

• Love 1

Here's a link to the pilot script. It's from quite early in the process. The show was still called "Tooken" back then, and there's a sheet at the end pitching ideas for future episodes of the show afterwards, some of which made it into the show and some of which didn't.

• Love 1

That was really interesting to read! It's nice to be able to see how a show develops from the early stages to what actually ends up being filmed.

And LOL at Hannah Horvath being included as one of our favorite TV heroines alongside Mary Tyler Moore.

So excited for all the noms, but I'm kinda chapped that Ellie Kemper didn't get one. I mean, how can you nominate Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt without nominating Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, ya know? But then I saw the other noms for Lead Actress in a Comedy, and it was a tough call. Although, I've never seen an episode of Nurse Jackie (I did watch them film a scene for it on my school's campus back in the fall)...is it really a comedy? I guess cuz it's only a half-hour? I love Edie Falco to pieces but her name seems weird next to the other nominees. I would have rather her gone over to drama to make room for Ellie.

• Love 3

I've never seen an episode of Nurse Jackie...is it really a comedy? I guess cuz it's only a half-hour? I love Edie Falco to pieces but her name seems weird next to the other nominees. I would have rather her gone over to drama to make room for Ellie.

This issue is probably the most-discussed the past few years in relation to the Emmys: where to draw the line between comedy and drama (it's been a free-for-all with shows submitting their nominations wherever they see the competition as weakest). This year the rules were revised, supposedly to deal with this, but they seem to have only made it more confused and confusing.

And when Edie Falco actually won, the first season Nurse Jackie was on, the first words out of her mouth as she reached the microphone were "But I'm not a comedian!"

• Love 1

Yeah, it must be tough for Ellie Kemper to see the entire cast nominated and the show for best comedy, but not her - the lead and title role. Ouch. I don't think Tina Fey deserves the nom, to be honest, I thought her part was stupid and unfunny. Glad the show got it's due, though, and if anyone wins, then the awesome theme song will play as they go to the stage.

• Love 4

I like Tina Fey and think that most of her work is great.  But not in this case, not on this show.  IMO, her character (along with co-counsel) and the trial scenes almost derailed the series.  I can't help but think she got the nomination simply because she's Tina! Effin! Fey!

Congrats to Tituss Burgess!  The Pinot Noir video* would probably make my Top Ten TV Moments list for the 2014-2015 season.

While I'm happy for Jane Krakowski I think I would have preferred a Carol Kane nod.

*I miss the Tubeys. *sniff*  I so would have nominated that for best musical moment.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tina's now one of the 4 most nominated comedy actresses with Julia Louis Dreyfus, Betty White, and Cloris Leachman. Hooray for her super deserving nom.

Kemper isn't alone in having her supporting cast nommed but her ignored. Look at Grey's Anatomy, which has won Supporting Actress and Guest Actress, and which got Oh and Wilson nominated a bunch while the titular Grey was ignored.

Or, ugh, Entourage, whose Piven got multiple wins and whose Dillon got multiple noms, while Grenier got nothing.

Edited by jjjmoss
(edited)

For Comedy Series, the episodic submissions are:

"Kimmy Goes Outside," "Kimmy Goes on a Date," "Kimmy Kisses a Boy," "Kimmy Goes to a Party," "Kimmy's in a Love Triangle," "Kimmy Goes to Court"

I actually think these choices are close to perfect. Party and Triangle are easily the best, great.

Kisses a Boy is pretty funny - both "troll the respawn Jeremy" and the gay boyfriend.
Goes on a Date - While controversial I like the Jacqueline storyline. Titus bursting out in song at the funeral's quite funny too.
Goes Outside - Obvious had-to-submit, being the pilot.
Goes to Court - Hmm, I think the court eps are underrated. I approve of this choice; it's also Fey's acting tape.

Birthday has the stepdad's awfulness (though I love Shipka in it). Goes to School while it has Pinot Noir also has the titular mediocre school storyline with an unfunny Kind. Bad at Math, didn't really care for the Dong/Kimmy stuff. Rides a Bike, the bike stuff was idiotic. Goes to the Doctor, the doctor stuff is uncomfortable esp given real life circumstances. Gets a Job, the bad child acting brings things down a bit and the A-story feels somewhat superfluous anyway given how the kid disappears soon.

Edited by jjjmoss

Sooo pumped! And even though May is later than normal, it's still coming back earlier than I would have expected. I thought Ellie's pregnancy was going to really delay things but a couple months isn't bad at all!

Also, I hope this doesn't mean Titus and Mikey are on the rocks? In all likelihood it's probably just Titus being dramatic.

6 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Also, I hope this doesn't mean Titus and Mikey are on the rocks? In all likelihood it's probably just Titus being dramatic.

I'm so worried!  I mean, the Lemonading is funny and all, but I'm super-invested in their relationship.  I hope you're right about it just being melodrama on Titus' part.

• Love 1

Oh man...when last we left these two, Mikey was asking Titus to move in with him and Titus was making the "oh shit" face...

DAMMIT TITUS!!! DON'T MESS THIS UP!!!!

It would be just like him to push Mikey away and then BLAME Mikey for leaving.

• Love 1

I'm so excited! I'm always in a better mood when this show is back in my life.

The number of easter eggs in this show (and 30 Rock) is almost overwhelming. It kinda bums me out that I'm never gonna catch all of them.

Looking forward to Maya! Don't know who she's playing but she has the perfect comic energy for this show.

Five Emmy Nominations:

OUTSTANDING ORIGINAL MUSIC AND LYRICS - Song Title: "Hell No" / Kimmy's Roommate Lemonades!

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES - Ellie Kemper

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES

OUTSTANDING STUNT COORDINATION FOR A COMEDY SERIES OR VARIETY PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES - Tituss Burgess

• Love 2