Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Keeping It 100

• Start Topic

I just watched the preview and I just am chock full of opinions!

I really like Naomi Smalls so far. She has body and I appreciate what appears to be a good sense of self-awareness and quiet confidence that's rare in a 21 year-old performer.

Naysha Lopez says she's all about the look. Really. The shape she created in her walk-in dress isn't particularly flattering, and the wig does not look good on her round face. Next.

Bob still continues to be the most exciting thing this season.

Laila is coming across as a charisma void so far.

This Robbie Turner character--is she the one? I can't remember her name. The one complaining about the New York queens. She seems profoundly unhappy.

Derrick Barry:  I'm unimpressed so far. You better Do Something.

OK, bye!

(edited)

This season looks incredible and I can't wait to see the crazy challenges they have coming up! Bob, acid Betty, thorgy Thor, Kim chi and Naomi have me gagging!! Not impressed with Naysha, chi chi or Derrick. I can't even remember what happened last season, lol.

Edited by Chelsea girl
  • Love 1
(edited)

This season looks incredible

Which begs the question: what was wrong with these queens (most of whom applied for multiple seasons, including S7) when last year's yawn-fest was cast? Did TPTB view S7 as merely a set up for S8? No offense to Trixie, Ginger, MKD and Katya (who seemed to have forged careers without winning) - but at least 75% of this years cast would have smoked any queen last season. Last year seemed to have been packed with filler, and this season appears to have almost none. Why WOW, why?

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 5
(edited)

Seriously! They have 1000s of audition tapes, and last year they went with queens who had never performed before! They had just posed online in lingerie.

I think Gia and Laganga could have been top four last season, with the weird casting and elimination decisions. They also had terrible challenges.

I'm really hoping they fixed whatever broke last year.

Edited by Cosmic Muffin
  • Love 3

Which begs the question: what was wrong with these queens (most of whom applied for multiple seasons, including S7) when last year's yawn-fest was cast? Did TPTB view S7 as merely a set up for S8? No offense to Trixie, Ginger, MKD and Katya (who seemed to have forged careers without winning) - but at least 75% of this years cast would have smoked any queen last season. Last year seemed to have been packed with filler, and this season appears to have almost none. Why WOW, why?

I think we have heard some of the answer - Ru has said (on the podcast he does with Michelle, I think) that for season seven, they specifically set out to find young/hot queens with a strong social media presence in order to bring in a younger audience. It backfired both in that they mostly cast queens who looked good, but didn't have any performance skills and Ru spent a decent amount of time bitching about the rude youngsters he was dealing with on social media. I'm glad that season eight seems to indicate that they learned a few lessons from that experiment.

I do think they try to find a balance of types of queens and sort of earmark and "save" some queens for consideration later. It took Alaska five seasons to get on the show. I know other queens like Detox and Joslyn auditioned more than once (because you can see them on the casting specials they used to do in the montage of video auditions they passed up). 

• Love 5

Oh my gosh, what happened at the very last line for the next preview? Ru said," Michelle can I borrow-" and then my DVR cut out!! Does anyone know what it says? (Spoiler tags if necessary.) I'm dying over here!

(edited)

Great first episode - this is already looking much better than last season. Although Robbie Turner REALLY needs to switch to decaf.  I kinda want to punch him in the nose, and thought all his talking heads meant he was going home first.

Did NOT have Kim pegged as the winner of the first challenge.  I thought for sure it was going to be Acid Betty for the runway, or possibly Derrick for the photo.

To be honest, I had absolutely no clue which outfits the judges liked most.  Not because they were close in terms of quality, but because of those damn lights flashing behind the queens the whole time made it impossible to really get a good look at any of them.  The producers need to tone that shit down before someone drops of an epileptic fit.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 6
(edited)

Ru asked to borrow Michelle's phone and then apparently makes a call.  Still a mystery as to why or to whom!

I HAVE OPINIONS!  Robbie = stealth bitch.  Betty = more overt bitch.  Also, Betty should've won.  Kim Chi was great, no doubt, but that money dress was...money.  Also, I thought Bob was worthy of top three ranking.  If she'd done that for the actual Season 2 challenge, she probably would've won that.  That purse!

That said, I think the right queen sashayed away.  Neither quite set the stage on fire, but Laila turned it out better.

Two last things: 

"Is Beyonce scared of Britney?  Then Bob ain't scared of Derrick." 

And...CIRCUS CLOWN!  I died.

Edited by Rai
  • Love 6

That was AMAZING. I loved it. Sooooooo much better than the entirety of last season. Love Bob, Naomi, surprisingly, the other Puerto Rican queen, the one with the cuckoo, thorgy, all of them really except Robbie. Robbie can go. I cracked up when she forgot to assign herself a challenge.

• Love 3

Ross was right, Robbie Turner is basic.

I'm loving all of the New York girls. Does anyone else remember seeing Acid Betty on an episode of Project Runway where they had to design for Drag Queens?

• Love 1

I had high expectations coming in to this season and they were exceeded! I know drama will ensue, but there seems a lot of good chemistry with the Season 8 girls. I saw a YouTube video of the queens on a bus going through California on their way to LA for the season premiere and the positive vibe was very much in evidence. There might be some who want a Sharon/Phi Phi style feud, but I like how well everyone seems to get along (for now).

The photo shoot was an inspired idea - and how wonderful that the show has been on long enough to celebrate its herstory.

Still loving Bob. Kim Chi is definitely a force to be reckoned with. I really felt for her, having disappointed my Korean mother more times than I can count.

• Love 5

It's so good to have my show back after the nightmare that was Season 7. Ironically after a season of supposed fashion, it was the clowns and cos-players who turned out to know their way around a Singer. Tonight's sashayer was regarded as a front runner by many due to her success on the pageant circuit. Once again we are reminded it's not remotely the same skill set. They also seem to have washed their hands of the Instagram queen world. Only Kim arrived with that pedigree and she is decidedly different from last years flock of look oriented baby queens. More of a glam Trixie than a Violet, Fame or Pearl.

• Love 4

I want to know what happened with Bianca. I've seen photos of that shoot that consisted of RuPaul will all eight winners, INCLUDING Bianca, so perhaps the shoot ran long and she couldn't stay for the part with the contestants?

• Love 4
(edited)

I found most of the queens really boring and unfunny this first episode, favorite thing about this episode was sharon and Jinxx. That was an awesome first challenge and IMO none of the queens really delivered, Kim chi was blah as the winner and Bob was totally unfunny for a "comedian". The only thing I laughed at was when Bob called herself the Beyonce to Derek's Britney. Only cause of how ridiculous it was, she is nothing like Beyonce.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 2

Ross was right, Robbie Turner is basic.

I'm loving all of the New York girls. Does anyone else remember seeing Acid Betty on an episode of Project Runway where they had to design for Drag Queens?

Yes! I don't remember her having so much of an attitude on PR, but that was a long time ago and I only remember Hedda Lettuce taking over the episode with drama. Oh, and the straight guy who designed for Varla Jean Merman won.

I was at a PACKED viewing party (400+) at a club in Minneapolis. BeBe was a co-host, so the moment when she moved Betty's arm away from her face during the photo shoot got QUITE a reaction. Bob seemed to be the favorite, but people were pleased enough with Kim's win and the result of the lip-sync. I can't believe that this show has been on for eight years and these young queens still show up saying they've never sewn before.

I loved all the old herstory clips, but it was kind of annoying that they have to pretend Willam never existed and didn't show him in any of the footage. I know he can wipe away tears with Benjamins, but he WON the damn boat challenge!

I did like that Neysha (sp?) got to have her moment defending pageant queens. The chat she had with Chi Chi was nice.

I wonder if Bianca was Photoshopped in the other photos -- perhaps she was busy touring with Rolodex of Hate. Is Raja the only one who lives in L.A.?

• Love 3

After not watching most of season 7, I was thrilled with this episode!  Very glad to see that Ru is leaning towards the quirky again -- or at least the "characters".

I think they probably photoshopped Bianca, too.  Were any season 6 queens in the episode?

• Love 1

My favorite thing about this episode was celebrating the history and longevity of RPDR. I loved that the first photoshoot was with former winners (hahaha and A CIRCUS CLOWN!) and that we also got to see former contestants when the maxi challenge was introduced.

I was surprised that so many of the girls decided to sit on the floor or the sofa during the photo shoot. If you want to stand out (especially if you are wearing dark colors), stand up on the couch! Britney and the retro glamour queen were the only two I can recall who sat down but still commanded attention.

Whoever dressed as Hello Kitty had really obvious butt padding. I'm not against padding, but you need to buy a good one so that it doesn't look obvious in tight dresses like that (or, you know, get a dress that isn't so tight).

Ha, I was cracking up when one of the queens said that Naysha looked like a soccer mom during the LSFYL. She had the same pageant-y looking expression on her face the whole time while her arms did olde tyme flag signaling for the entire song. At least Laila made an effort to vary her movements and facial expressions.

Although I am undecided on Derrick, I did feel sorry for him during the judges' critique. On one hand we have Michelle saying she wants to see non-Britney stuff and then on the other hand we have Ru saying she wants to see more Britney. At least we know who Derrick will doing for Snatch Game!

• Love 6

Locas! Drag Race is finally back!!

My fave of the premiere was seeing all the previous winners and past contestants (with some exceptions...TYRA) again. Loved how the photo challenge included the previous seasons' winners, what I would give to have had Bianca there tho, just to hear her AND Sharon's comments to and about this season's queens.

I can't really say yet that I don't like any of this year's queens although I already have my faves. Like Bob is my everything right now.

• Love 3

YAS GAWD!!!  Return to form, I'm loving it.  I know people diss season 7 but when I saw Violet up there with the other past winners, come on now, she is so GORGEOUS.  I still really heart Violet, she's completely stunning.

I thought the wonky teeth and lisp would be a killer for Kim Chi but when she made that super lame donut joke I kinda warmed to her and her photo was incredible.  The cowardly lion outfit was inspired but I do fear that she can't walk in heels which is a tremendous worry for future runways!!  Super sad her Mum doesn't know about her drag, I admit I had tears in my eyes at that point.  I hope she knows and is proud of Kim Chi now.

I am LOVING season 8 - I feel so excited about this season!!  I do think the show needs a good mix of queens and weirdly I am loving everyone at the moment.  So weird, there are usually a few I hate and I don't this time.  They all seem so nice!!!! 

I say this every year but I HATE THAT SOMEONE GETS SENT HOME EPISODE 1!!!!  Ru Paul, if you are listening, please give them 2 weeks at least.  I mean, it is just very upsetting to me that I haven't gotten to know these queens yet and they've gone already.  Having said that I loved Robbie's outfits in the Introducing the Queens previews so I am delighted that she's staying.  I would not like to miss those clothes!!  Happily counting down the days until the next episode!  Mark, great post as always.

• Love 3

Love this new season. Was ok with who sashayed last night - though she was beautiful and I thought they did not pick her best picture to show.

I liked Bob a ton from the Meet the Queens videos but was surprised to also really like Kim and Thorgy last night as well. Kim's makeup work is amazing and there's just something about Thorgy that I find compelling and entertaining. There was no one I hated, though I will not be sorry to see Naomi or Dax go, to be honest. 

• Love 1

I was so excited for the show to come back and spent most of my weekend watching the marathon. This was such a great first episode, and I'm really excited about this year's queens, especially Bob, who made me laugh almost every time he opened his mouth.

I didn't have a strong investment in who went home after LSFYL, but I agree with planetoftheapes that I wish there was no elimination in the first episode. I wouldn't mind having an extra week to see what the queens can do before someone gets sent home.

• Love 3

If the 100th episode is a way for atoning for the abysmal seventh season, which crowned who is arguably the worst RPDR winner since Tyra Sanchez, then apology accepted. It was nostalgic, funny and sweet. Loved seeing almost all of the past winners; I wished that Bianca was there and Tyra & Violet weren't, but I digress. Also loved seeing the past winners (plus Hello Kitty) introducing the past challenges.  

Also love Kim Chi & Bob the Drag Queen. Liked Bob's runway look, but Kim Chi's was fierce, in every sense of the word. Acid Betty's runway look was cool, but her attitude rubs me the wrong way. Her calling the past winners "wannabe drag queens" was bad enough, but saying that even Bianca Del Rio wouldn't mess with her is delusional, at best. If Bianca can throw shade at Ru like she did at the RuPaul Roast, then Acid Betty doesn't stand a chance.

Hate Robbie Turner. Between her showing her ass at the photo shoot when she told Sharon Needles-who, unlike Robbie, is an actual winner-to move, her getting stuck with the worst challenge despite winning the Mini-Challenge and the power to assign the challenges and her actual runway look, she deserved to be in the B2.  She can't get eliminated fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 4

Man, this was MILES better than last season! Just within the first five minutes or so I was more entertained than I think I was for the entire season last year.

Loved Bob right out the gate, but I think the one I was most pleasantly surprised by was Cynthia. I thought she was boring as hell in the "meet the queens" videos, but here I found her kookiness entertaining. Kim Chi also had me worried at first, but she won me over with her stupid donut pun, then her "Now I can be the Asian tourist I've always wanted to be!" joke after winning the prize from Selfie Stick, and finally by pointing out that Naysha was dancing like a soccer mom. She did, however, really lumber down the runway and the judges will ding her for that.

Robbie and Acid Betty are a little cranky/bitter, but so far they are mostly entertaining about it. I loved Robbie's "Let me tell you a story about flats: NO!" 

It was great seeing all the past winners (minus Bianca - I'm not surprised she couldn't come. Judging by her Instragram she is never home and always on the move from one show to the next). Raja still slays me. She may not have the biggest career of all the winners, but she definitely has that "It" factor. Tyra is still flat and boring. It was great seeing other queens like Raven and Latrice as well. 

How on earth does Thorgy get all that hair under her wigs?

• Love 6

I just watched the Untucked for this and I really like this group. I'm so sorry that Nyasha had to go home, I wish no one went home the first week. Hearing her talk about going home to no work and possibly lower bookings, I hadn't thought about what they give up to come on the show and what that means when they go home early, or first.

I liked seeing everyone being pretty decent to each other. The first four, led by Bob, critiquing each other. Someone lending Nyasha headphones to prepare to lipsync. Kim Chi saying nice things to Nyasha.

I don't know if the other queens saw the part where Derick removed her skirt and trimmed her holiday wreath, that made her outfit less simple and more comical. 

So, no one I hate so far! And so much talent! And mostly comaraderie. I'm liking Cynthia more than I thought I would from the promos too. I enjoyed them feeling her plumped ass backstage.

• Love 7

YAS GAWD!!!  Return to form, I'm loving it.  I know people diss season 7 but when I saw Violet up there with the other past winners, come on now, she is so GORGEOUS.  I still really heart Violet, she's completely stunning.

I thought the wonky teeth and lisp would be a killer for Kim Chi but when she made that super lame donut joke I kinda warmed to her and her photo was incredible.  

I said the exact same thing when I saw the queens together. I ended up really liking Violet and that bitch has got STYLE.

I'm really liking Kim Chi. Her ridiculous puns make me laugh. She's a huge nerd and she can fucking PAINT. I loved when she said that all she had to work with was "a Florence Henderson shade of poop brown" I cracked the hell up. I also like Dax and we got a little bit more of her in the Untucked. But, again, this one is all about the cosplay and cites Storm as her fashion icon. She came in wearing Uncanny X-Men #173 realness and I was LOVING it. Well, she didn't do the mohawk... and I wonder if she will... I hope she will. (I really hope she will. Storm's mohawk is everything and it has gone through all sorts of changes on its own.) 

Plus Dax was all 'if a 12 year old Asian girl wants it, I want it more' with the Hello Kitty. Love it. I love that we've got some hard core nerd queens this season.

My sister whooped loudly when Chi Chi came in with her"laissez le bon temps rouler!" My sister loves Louisiana. Bianca started in New Orleans but she's been a New York queen for some time now. Chi Chi is from Shreveport! I mean, it's the third largest city but most people just don't know it exists. It's kind of like San Diego in California... it's the forgotten city. That girl is adorable and rocked the Studio 54 disco queen look even with the wardrobe malfunction right before.

Thorgy Thor is pretty cool, too. I want to see more of her. Actually... I don't hate anyone yet which is nice. I pretty much like everyone so I'm excited going forward.

And the Untucked was fun! When they did the critiques to each other as the judges? That was great. Derrick and Bob already seem to have a bit of a rivalry going, though... hmmmmm....

• Love 4

I like smart professionals, so Bob the Drag Queen is currently my favorite.  On the photo shoot, she gave them what they were looking for, and then gave them what they weren't looking for.  That's how you do.

Naysha was resting on pretty, and that never works.  However, Laila's not going to have a long reprieve without a huge surge in confidence.  If she's due for a redemption story line, I suspect it will be more Trinity K. Bonet than Adore Delano.

I remember Acid Betty was on Project Runway and what I mostly remember about it is that it was a long time ago...

• Love 2

I also remember Acid Betty from PR, which is how I got intrigued by her initially.  I remember her being a lot cuter out of drag then and pretty low-key.  At least compared to Hedda Lettuce.  Even then though, there was a bit of shade that she wasn't a "real" drag queen, since she was more into genderfuck and billed herself as a "hybrid" queen.  Which I think explains the sideburns on the runway.  Me, I love that whole strain of drag, so I was into it.

For some reason, I want to guess the doughnut Kim Chi pulled out had green tea icing, but I feel kinda offensive suggesting such a thing.  Still, her dorky giggling over the pun is what endeared her to me after being pretty certain she was going to be all look and nothing else.  I like being proven wrong in this case!

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm glad the judges are finally having none of this "I don't know how to sew" business (loved Ross's head shake at the "this is the first dress I've ever made" excuse). It isn't like they come into this with no idea that a sewing challenge might be coming. 

Future contestants - once you find out you've made it onto the show, head down to your local Jo-Ann's fabrics or other arts & crafts store. They usually have sewing classes. Sign up for the "basics" class. Learn enough so you can stitch together a garment so the whole world doesn't roll their eyes at you.

The only thing worse is when they get to snatch game and they either have no idea who they should play, or they pick someone and they have no idea how to play her and/or they pick someone who is visual-only and have no unique personality traits they can play up in their performance.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 8

Seriously, it's season 8, you know you're going to have to sew. In fact, you can be pretty sure you're going to have to sew the first challenge. Sewing lessons aren't like flying lessons, they aren't prohibitively expensive. Although I was still sorry to see Nyasha go. But on the Youtube bus tour video she seems like a part of the whole gang, so that's good.

This show is back, not just back this season, but back from whatever happened last season.If we were mystified and frustrated watching last season, imagine how it was for talented drag queens like these to watch last season. If they didn't just give up they must have been screaming at the t.v. set every episode.

I don't know what will happen once they're under pressure, and working in teams and having to say on the runway who they think should go home, and all the other pressures that build up each season, but so far this bunch seems to have an awareness that  just being on the show is an accomplishment and to be grateful for it. 

• Love 1

I never realize how much I miss this show until it is back on.  :) Latrice Royale!!!  Always so happy to see her!

I think its BS that Robbie Turner didn't have to LSFYL.  I think it should have been Nayasha and Robbie.  That "dress" she made, was terrible.

Nayasha should have known better than to come with excuses, especially that excuse.  After 8 years, how are you not going to at least have the basics of putting an outfit together?  She is absolutely gorgeous though, and I felt bad for her, it would be nice to see her come back in another season for redemption.

I think I'm going to love Bob, his sense of humor seems a lot like mine.  And Kim Chi -- I love her sense of humor too "I'm finally going to get to be the Asian tourist I always wanted to be!"  I really like that Kim's look really is artistry to me.  Its about more than the illusion of a woman, its this anime art, and I like that.

I try to not only like pretty girls....but the redhead (can't remember her name, even though she said it at least 10 times) is just a no for me.

Also love Naomi Smalls -- she is beautiful...and those legs!  Although I was dead at "cliffhangers" and then they did a close up and it was hilarious......shady cameraman!!

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think I'm going to enjoy the workroom and THs as much as I usually do. Way too many hipster glasses and goofy hair. I can't wait for Acid Betty and Thorgy Thor to leave (although I'll probably have a long wait) just because they remind me of Schlitzie from Freaks and Michael Musto as played by Gilda Radnor, respectively. Robbie Turner can also take her specs and her sailor hat and leave anytime. Note: Unless your name is April Carrion don't even try to pull off the jaunty sailor look, because you can't.

Now that I've got all that negativity out of my system... Although there's no first episode queen that immediately wowed me like Violet did last year, I do like Derrick, Bob and Chi Chi quite a lot. I have a feeling that I could really warm up to Naomi as well.

I just happened to think, while running through the cast in my mind. Is this the first year that we don't have at least one token big girl?

Edited by Sile
  • Love 3

The season six queens are probably all too busy working. :)

Bianca said on Instagram this morning that she was on set filming "Hurricane Bianca" when this challenge was done. So yeah, working. :D