Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E01: Chapter 40

(edited)

Finally they get back to Lucas! I was so disappointed when they dropped that storyline and all the reporter characters vanished. I want to see Neve's character go toe to toe with Doug Stamper. (Please, show, don't let their rivalry lead to sex!) Great start for the season; better than last year I hope. Wish I could binge this weekend.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 7

Nice start.  Loving the new additions to the show.  Ellen Cicely and especially Neve. 

Really loved the Scream shout out with Neve in her office scene. Nicely done writers. 

• Love 1

I found it kind of hilarious that the main problem that Mama Hale had with Frank was that he came from the wrong side of the tracks. On FU's list of faults, that's pretty far down on the list.

Not if your from the South. Being ruthless and cunning is all fine and good being more then one rung below your own class is unforgivable. Claire marrying the low class Frank must have been unfathomably scandalous for Claire's mother.

• Love 5

That was a very efficient way to catch up on Lucas' story.

This episode was all about Robin Wright.  Nice job ascting, although those high heels make me shudder every single time.  Claire should ask for sole custody of Meechum if they split.  I bet he'd figure out how to give her a good foot rub.  Frank and Doug can have each other.

I think it was very clever to divide Claire and Frank up and turn them against each other.  I don't know who to root for.

Claire's mom was the best new character this episode.

I will take this fictional messed up political world over our current fiasco any day, and twice on Sundays.

• Love 9

The Underwoods have always been a bit too Clintonesque for me to take seriously, and now we have a storyline that's basically what a Lifetime Movie about HRC would have us believe? That CU/ HRC decided to strike out on her own and become politically viable against the wishes of her husband? The Underwoods have always seemed to be a team in the way they went about acquiring power, and there is no difference in the amount of individual influence of either of the couple no matter who is the face of power at any given time. FU would likely want Claire positioned to take over when he is term limited just as WJC is doing with his spouse in real life.

Was I the only one disappointed that Meecham wasn't invited to keep Frank company in bed? What a waste.

• Love 4

Claire is a pretty despicable person, but I really hope this season she is the one to take Francis down. I'm glad they're really (at least so far) giving Robin Wright the center stage, as (as much as I enjoy Kevin Spacey) Francis has held it far too long. Also glad to see them coming back to Lucas' story, although I thought the dismissive attitude of his witness protection handler was pretty gross. Would someone in that position be so nonchalant and denigrating? I wouldn't like to think so. I like Ellen Burstyn's character so far as well.

I also fear that Neve Campbell's Leanne will just end up being a semi-antagonist-slash-sex interest of Stamper, which would be too bad. And I also think that- eventually- Freddy will end up assassinating Francis. Just a hunch I've had since Francis excoriated him way back when.

Is this supposed to make me root for Claire? Swooping down to bully a black woman out of her own freaking district so she can screw that up too? With her heinous mother making it clear that their family is All About Class and proud of it? Claire won't do a damn thing for the constituents of that district, she'll crush them and sell them as meat pies if it gives her a step up the ladder.  

Yea, no, she can go pound sand with her privileged and entitled bullshit. 

• Love 23

Me to the writers "Damn you have a way with words."  Seriously though, what a way to open up the fourth season of HoC.   

Frank and Claire have always been such a dynamic team that it's interesting to see them on opposite sides, especially now that Claire's putting together her own dream team.  And Frank's having trouble both from within his own party and from the GOP.  Goodness, how bad does it look that the President is running against someone from their own party?  Can you imagine if something like that were to happen now?  It would make the POTUS look horribly incompetent and disliked and it make the Democratic Party look like it was going through a civil war.  Did Heather Dunbar decide to run before or after Frank threw his hat in the ring?

I really like the range Robin Wright's able to show with this new storyline and she's so good at playing sympathetic that she can make you forget that Clair is just a ruthless as Frank.  The only difference is that she doesn't have his gift for politics.  And that's my only problem with this "Claire's had enough" storyline.  It's not Frank's fault that Claire sucks at politics.  She failed the initial hearing that would get her as UN representative for America by losing her temper, and then when Frank appointed her anyways, she got American soldiers killed because she believed the lies of the Russian representative.  Frank cheated on her with Zoe, but she cheated on him with the painter guy.  And she intentionally cut contact with Frank during her tryst to hurt him whereas he slept with Zoe to get influence on the press.  If she had a political office, she'd still be toeing the line, but the reason she doesn't isn't because Frank's stifling her but because of her own failures.

• Love 13

Wow, there really is nothing that Claire and Frank won't stoop to doing if it benefits them somehow. The fact that they would hold a press conference to announce to the entire world that her mother has cancer before Claire even has a conversation about it with her mother is just cold. Even if they aren't on good terms, that is a shitty thing to do. That's exposing her personal business to the international press.

When Frank asked Meecham to stay and keep him company, I was certain that the scene was going to end up like that Canteen Boy skit on SNL.

• Love 2

I love this first episode. Very nice to see the addition of Naeve Campbelle and Ellen Burstyn. As well as the return of Lucas. I think I won't be able to stop here and am off to watch episode 2.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pleasantly surprised to see Lucas return. Was I the only one who didn't quite figure out that it was him at first? I thought for a few seconds in that initial scene that Yates the writer had committed a crime off screen and was the one reading sex stories to his cell mate.

I thought that the front desk woman at Doug's hotel looked a lot like Christina from the first two seasons.

I'm hoping that there is at least a mention of Rachel this season.

Edited by jsm1125
  • Love 1

I loved it when Claire started crying and Claire's mom asked her, "is that for me or for yourself?"

But then comforted her anyway. If Claire was an only child, it must have been hard for her mother to have raised such a daddy's girl.

• Love 1

The Underwoods have always been a bit too Clintonesque for me to take seriously, and now we have a storyline that's basically what a Lifetime Movie about HRC would have us believe?

Never really thought of it that way, but you're kind of right.  Though I don't really think HRC's mother is that...evil...nor were the Rodhams "old money" in that way.

Never really thought of it that way, but you're kind of right.  Though I don't really think HRC's mother is that...evil...nor were the Rodhams "old money" in that way.

Oh, definitely there are differences! But pitting the two against each other smacks, to me, of trying to sell the idea that CU/HRC is running as her "own person", rather than a continuation of the partnership into a second set of terms not Constitutionally available to them. Claire actually addresses it in episode 3. (I am just catching up now, as an early Spring hit today, and there was no media watching!)

I was so proud that I recognised Lucas and my husband didn't (we both have a lot of trouble remembering what happened in the previous season when we binge watch) but then I read the recap and it says it was Tom Yates in prison. It is Lucas right? I'd hate to have to recall my bragging!

• Love 1

I was so proud that I recognised Lucas and my husband didn't (we both have a lot of trouble remembering what happened in the previous season when we binge watch) but then I read the recap and it says it was Tom Yates in prison. It is Lucas right? I'd hate to have to recall my bragging!

It's definitely Lucas. I noticed the recap's error (or at least what I consider to be an error) as well. I don't think Yates looks or sounds anything like Lucas.

• Love 3
(edited)

At the risk of sounding prudish....i have been - like all of you - eagerly anticipating the return of HOC. However , that first scene was so base, so unnecessary and so vile on so many levels, i could not even concentrate for the next half an hour and get it out of my head. Why america? all of your shows are turning  crass and unnecessarily base. scandal and olivias father talking about her sexual expolits with jake, hoc...oh so many more. Why did they have to go there so graphically in scene one, let alone at all? What demographic are they aiming for? 20-something males? what about the rest of us who like a good story line, drama, thrills without the C word being used and such graphic details, yuk. Ten years ago you could watch tv safely, now every damn show has some vile undertone.So disappointing.

I don't care if it sounds prudish at all. I am with you.  So many writers think they're so goddamn clever by putting in a scene where there's vomit or masturbation or a suicide attempt in their television show pilots.  I might sound dramatic to you all but I actually keep track, and DOZENS of pilots have a vomit scene.  I started keeping track when I noticed that there are far more movies that have a vomit scene than those that don't -- it's incredibly rare that a movie DOESN'T have one.

Here's some quick recent examples for you

Being Mary Jane pilot - masturbation, urination, etc.

The Affair pilot - suicide attempt that turned out to be fake

Silicon Valley pilot - vomit scene

HOC 401 - masturbation scene

Latest episode of Younger on TVLand - somebody actually 

fucks a sheep. On camera.

Anyways my point is that so many writers think it's absolutely necessary to shock an audience by doing something gratuitously graphic to get an audience's attention than to simply WRITE BETTER.  It's lazy, it's juvenile, it's BEYOND a cliche and it's just so unintelligent.  I'm so tired of it.  And this is NETFLIX, NOT basic television so the audience is ALREADY there.  Anyways.

Besides that opening scene it was a good episode and I was shocked because I feel like much of Seasons 2 and 3 belong in the trash.  Here's hoping the show sticks to relatable storylines instead of whatever the hell was going on in Season 2.  Great to see:  Ellen Burstyn, Joel Kinnaman, Neve Campbell, Lisa Gay Hamilton, and Cicely Tyson.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Yay it's back!  So pleased to see all the old characters, and highly approve of the new ones -- Neve, Joel, and Ellen!  Ok especially Joel.  I've been jones-ing for him to appear in a new series since the last episode of The Killing. Holder was my boo! <3

knaankos, on 05 Mar 2016 - 02:05 AM, said:

Step aside other women of House of Cards. Leanne is now the sexiest woman on the show

Right? I mean, I know it's a cliché, but that lady seriously has barely aged.  She looks gorgeous!

jsm1125, on 06 Mar 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

It's definitely Lucas. I noticed the recap's error (or at least what I consider to be an error) as well. I don't think Yates looks or sounds anything like Lucas.

Yeah. I guess there is some similarity between Yates and Lucas but... come on. If you're publishing a recap, at least make sure you are talking about the correct character.

Wow, I'm kind of stunned that you're all so appalled by this. The very first episode of House of Cards starts out with Frank killing a dog with his bare hands. The writers basically announced to the viewers, "this show is not for the faint of heart."

So having this season start with one prisoner verbally getting another off sexually, didn't seem like all that much to me. No murder. No nudity. No actual sex. And it was justified plot wise, in that it made the other character trust him with information a few scenes later.

My own prudeness came up during this week's project runway episode, where the designers had to dress nudists, who kept prancing around naked (they were pixilated). It seemed super awkward and I kept feeling sorry for the designers.

• Love 4

Yeah I can't explain the way that I am.  The pixelated nudity on PR All Stars didn't bother me or embarrass me or awkward me out AT ALL.  I felt nothing.  Yet the graphic-ness of the masturbation scene in HOC really pissed me off.  Everyone's different.

I am not a fan of gratuitous "shocking moments.  However, at least I can see a reason for the prison masturbation scene - it explains how Lucas was able to befriend his cell mate and and get the information.  I suppose there would be other ways to do this, or that it didn't really need to be done at, he could just be talking to his cellmate.  On the other hand, it could have been worse - as in Lucas letting the cellmate use him sexually.  

However, I do think that far too many shows try far too hard to be shocking instead of smart.  Shocking is easier, I suppose.  

Looks like Lucas has replaced Gavin in the "why is this even on my screen, can we get back to the Underwoods' storyline now?" department. Although I liked Jimmi Simpson a lot, so he wasn't as boring to watch. Lucas just annoys the hell out of me, even though he's one of the most decent characters on the show. I just don't care.

Stamper really is the Dwight Schrute to Frank's Michael Scott. He is such a syncophant. "You're speaking to the PRESIDENT!" I think his obsequiousness is part of why he is so unwatchable. Glad Neve told him to fuck off.

Claire's mother seems to have Frank's number. Her utter disdain for him is fun. Excellent casting and costuming. She looks just like what you'd expect a mother of Claire's to look like.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2
On 3/6/2016 at 0:48 AM, lion10 said:

And Frank's having trouble both from within his own party and from the GOP.  Goodness, how bad does it look that the President is running against someone from their own party?  Can you imagine if something like that were to happen now?  It would make the POTUS look horribly incompetent and disliked and it make the Democratic Party look like it was going through a civil war.  Did Heather Dunbar decide to run before or after Frank threw his hat in the ring?

As usually, I'm pretty late to the party.  With summer here, I'm finally able to catch up on some binge watching

Presuming this could still use a response, considering that Frank was not only not previously elected president, but not even vice president, it doesn't faze me at all that the Dem party is making him actually fight  for the nomination.  I also seem to recall that he hasn't held the position all that long, such that I think he could theoretically run for two terms, if he could actually get elected.  I believe his plan was that upon getting into the office, the people sheep would just elect/re-elect the person they were used to seeing in the office.

I don't recall all the details, but I believe Frank initially planned on just having Jackie Sharpe make a 'token run' against him and then bow out fairly early on.  However, the plan was foiled when Heather Dunbar considered running.  Frank tried to "buy" her off by offering to nominate her to the Supreme Court, but Heather refused, deciding to run for the presidency instead.  Sharpe then ended up bowing out of the race, but instead chose to endorse Heather.

Love the addition of Ellen Burstyn and of course Clair would think she could just run over the retiring Congresswoman.

Neve Campbell is a good addition as well.

I'm trying to remember what got the reporter in prison, or even much of that story line beyond the female reporter getting subwayed.  Might have to go back and read some recaps.