Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

Ugh!

First off, what happened to Ryan? It just seems so strange to me when a player is strong in his/her first appearance then goes downhill.

Second, what a terrible game. All the players should feel embarrassed.

I couldn't believe that Casey guessed Einstein, but then Conor did, too! Holy sh*t. I don't know much, but I came up with Niels Bohr.

On the plus side, that view of Victoria Falls from space was very cool.

Oh, and I thought Casey looked like a grownup Alia Shawkat, Maeby from Arrested Development.

• Love 1

I was sad that Mickey Spillane was a ts, but in this game of ts's I guess it was to be expected. 

I liked Casey, at least she looked embarrassed at all the misses.  The guy in the middle leaned on his podium - not cool.

I thought 1922 was too early for Niels Bohr but he was all I had.  i was surprised it was right.

Terrible game. When it got to the final I said the smart bet for either was 0, since in either's case their opponent was obviously a maroon and they would probably get it wrong.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 3

Alex said after the first round that maybe the board was too difficult. Did any of you agree with him? It seemed like standard Jeopardy stuff to me. That was painful to watch.

Well, he did say "more challenging than we expected." I assumed there was an unspoken "for these clowns" after it.

Also, I figured their FJ answers were of the "this is the only Nobel-winning scientist I can name" variety.

Edited by Etta Place
  • Love 4
n addition, when the reigning champ answered the question in the 1984 category about a Prime Minister of India and he answered "What is Gandhi ?", they should have asked for more information as to which one (since there have been 2).  No different than when there is a question about U.S. Presidents and someone answering with What is Bush ?  What is Johnson ? What is Roosevelt ? What is Harrison ? or What is Adams ? -- they should always ask for more information as to which one regardless of what year is in question.

I agree. I remember there was a clue about "this lawman..blah blah..Tombstone" and they answered "Who is Earp?" and I thought they should ask which Earp, because all the brothers were lawmen in Tombstone.

• Love 1

Monumental error by the guy in the middle.  He'll probably be kicking himself for the rest of his life.

Speaking of giving the first name as well as just last name, I thought the contestant who said Castro should been bms'd to say Fidel, since Raoul is also a Castro.

• Love 1

Casey was really plodding through her answers -- the game wasn't as bad as yesterday, which isn't saying much.

In the James category, the clue about about Captain Kirk I thought I heard Jason give his answer as "What is the transport machine ?"  when is should have been "What is the transporter ?"

It's getting pretty sad when the clue writers can't even get their directions correct -- as soon as I saw that clue about Mannheim line of Russia's "northeast" neighbor, I knew something wasn't right.  Don't they pay people to validate their clues ?

Speaking of giving the first name as well as just last name, I thought the contestant who said Castro should been bms'd to say Fidel, since Raoul is also a Castro.

This. Follows up on the discussion about similar questions I've raised upthread.

In the James category, the clue about about Captain Kirk I thought I heard Jason give his answer as "What is the transport machine ?"  when is should have been "What is the transporter ?"

I also thought that was the wrong question, although I did think he said "transportER machine". I am so annoyed with the inconsistencies in judging.

This was another painful game to watch.

Edited by mledawn

Closed captioning said "Transporter machine"

I'm so old, I knew the Harry James response.  And I have absolutely NO idea how I knew "Taft."  Every year we had American History in school, we spent so damn much time on Pizarro conquering the Incas, by the end of the year, we'd only gotten to the Civil War.  I know very little of modern American history between the Civil War and a decade or so after my birthday (during the Truman administration).

The BEST thing about tonight's show was the lack of political ads now that the polls have closed.  LOL.  We're back to drug stores, Medicare supplements, dentures & arthritis commercials.  hahahaha.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3

My mother attributes the way Casey speaks to being from Rhode Island (which she is also). 

It's getting pretty sad when the clue writers can't even get their directions correct -- as soon as I saw that clue about Mannheim line of Russia's "northeast" neighbor, I knew something wasn't right.  Don't they pay people to validate their clues ?

Yeah, that was bizarre. Isn't Russia's northeast neighbor Alaska??

He'll probably be kicking himself for the rest of his life.

Oh, he will. 

Reagan?  Didn't she also answer Monday that he was Director of the CIA?  Casey either is fixated on Reagan or she does not know her modern Presidents (If Taft counts as "modern").

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2

Wow, two days in a row I got the FJ for a category that tends to be the kiss of death for me!  I guessed Niels Bohr because they obviously wanted a Scandinavian scientist and he's the only one I know.  Then I guessed Taft because, for some odd reason, I actually knew he'd become a Supreme Court Justice after being president.  I'll take "Categories In Which I Usually Suck" for $2000, Alex!

Yeah, when treason is a TS on the first question, you know it's going to be a bad game.

I was going to say treason, but then thought maybe that was too broad for the definition and said insurrection instead.  But at least I answered something.  Sheesh!

Leon Panetta was a TS

And, they even showed his picture!  Jeez.

I suck at political categories and got pretty much everything in the CIA category wrong, but in my defense, I wasn't in the room and didn't see the photo - even I would've gotten Leon Panetta if I'd seen the picture.

as soon as I saw that clue about Mannheim line of Russia's "northeast" neighbor, I knew something wasn't right.

Funny, but my mind must have autocorrected to "northwest" because I didn't even notice the wrong direction.  So I got Finland.

• Love 1

I stink at presidents, but Taft is the automatic response when there is a question about presidents and the Supreme Court.  Just like it's either Hemingway or Fitzgerald in an "American Authors" category. I also stink at geography, but even I can see on the map that Finland is west of Russia.   

• Love 6

The Russian clue was even more bizzarre because Alex gave the correction after a commercial break, so they had obviously reviewed it again for the correction.

I was trying to think what part of Russia scooped under Finland... Heh, I was really tired...

Got Taft right away when previewing FJ yesterday. Hanging my head, by admitting I said Einstein the other night, not making the connection that they were going for a Scandanavian scientist. I may have blanked anyway, since I thought it was a throwaway line that the speech was made in Stockholm where the award is given. Forgot that you generally need to use everything in the clue.

I'm not even smart enough for Wheel of Fortune let alone Jeopardy but this week was really painful. They must have been picked out of contestant pool Z. I'm guessing A through Y were already used. Seriously, how did they make it through casting? Also, middle guy had to relive his crossed out Final Jeopardy answer all over again. Hopefully, he wasn't having a viewing party. Simply heartbreaking!

• Love 2

I'm anticipating that being the case here (KABC in Los Angeles); for several years now, it has seemed that when more than one game in a week will be preempted by special programming, they'll air it later those same nights, but when it's just one episode they hold it until the next night, keep going a day behind like that, and use the Saturday repeat slot to catch us up so we're ready to start fresh the following Monday.

I found it the judging for FJ for Caitlin's response to be odd -- she spelled 'Caldicot' instead of 'Caldecott'.  It's a person's name, so there shouldn't be a lot of latitude on spelling.  Was it accepted because it was phonetically similar ?

I'll have to remember that for the next time there is a Presidential FJ clue so that I can answer 'What is Raygun ?" or "What is Klintun ?" or "What is Boosh ?"

I think you'll be okay on Raygun and Klintun, not so sure about Boosh:)

That was a much better game tonight.  I had no idea on FJ.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

That was a much better game tonight.  I had no idea on FJ.

Yes, it certainly was.  I got the FJ (worked for 11 years in a book store, so I was very familiar with the Caldecott Medal for children's picture book illustrators) but I missed a fair number of answers in the rest of the game.

It's a person's name, so there shouldn't be a lot of latitude on spelling.  Was it accepted because it was phonetically similar ?

Generally misspellings are acceptable as long as they don't change the pronunciation of the word.  Kind of agree with you on people's names, although her spelling wasn't particularly egregious.

Even though I'm a librarian as well as having worked in bookstores for years, I got hung up on trying to think of male illustrators and didn't even think of going with prominent names from awards. I ended up settling on Garth Williams, even though I knew damn well it wasn't him from the style of the picture, just because he was the only male children's book illustrator I could come up with.

Totally not acceptable since you have to say which  Boosh it is - just Boosh isn't enough.

Would "the old Boosh with two middle initials" work?

I missed Jeopardy! last night. Walked in the door as the closing credits were rolling. :-(

Are the clue writers just getting lazy ? Or is the judging just getting sloppy.  Or both.

Once again, the clue writers didn't really do their homework about that funicular clue -- not that it mattered in the end.  It only took a quick Google search to find it called an Incline Railway for that specific photo that they showed from San Francisco. 

For FJ, I initially guessed Cuzco but thought that was way to easy, and came up with nothing else.   Took a look on Google Maps and found that the Hiram Bingham highway appears to be little more than gravel road with a lot of switchbacks that connects to a neighboring village, but there doesn't appear any connection from that small village to any roadway that leads to Cusco (it connects to 3 different rivers but that's about it) which kind of makes the FJ clue kind of wrong.

ETA: There is a trail that follows the river that gets eventually to a road, but calling it a highway is being pretty generous.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Granted, I am ridiculously lacking in geographical knowledge.

But I'd never heard of Cusco.  I thought it might be a bit obscure for an FJ.  Seems like a "you either know it or you don't" type question, rather than one that could be figured out.

But .... geography and I are not friends.

My geography knowledge is slightly above average...for an American. I've never heard of Cuzco, either. I have heard of Hiram Bingham but that didn't help since what I know about him is Machu Picchu.

I guessed Nazca.  (The plains where all those "alien runways" are) Forgot all about Cuzco, but I never thought Lima would be a World Historical Site (or whatever that designation was...)

There's an Incline Railway in Chattanooga, TN, too.

Edited by Prevailing Wind

There's an Incline Railway in Chattanooga, TN, too.

And two in Pittsburgh - the Duquesne (which I've ridden) and the Monongahela; when I described them as "funiculars" to the Pittsburgh friend I was visiting, she very quickly corrected that to "inclines".  So I'd have fought for that answer if it had been me.

I got the final Jeopardy because I remember seeing something on tv once (a mystery thing, I think, but heck, it could've been something with Rick Steves) involving taking the Hiram Bingham Highway from Cusco to Machu Picchu.  It appears scary as all get out in the photos I just look at - I'd be taking the train instead.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

For FJ, I initially guessed Cuzco but thought that was way to easy, and came up with nothing else.   Took a look on Google Maps and found that the Hiram Bingham highway appears to be little more than gravel road with a lot of switchbacks that connects to a neighboring village, but there doesn't appear any connection from that small village to any roadway that leads to Cusco (it connects to 3 different rivers but that's about it) which kind of makes the FJ clue kind of wrong.

ETA: There is a trail that follows the river that gets eventually to a road, but calling it a highway is being pretty generous.

Well, the clue did say that the Hiram Bingham Highway was the last leg linking Cusco and Machu Picchu, so the highway is probably just the part that is the road, not the entire distance between the two.  But the train does go the entire way.

When is Jeopardy Julia returning? Is there a Tounement of Champions on the horizon? That said, I hope she isn't a one & done on her return. She doesn't neccesarly have to win but the final round would be fine.