Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

Judging goes wonky again in FJ -- are secondary titles are now acceptable as valid answers ?  Based on the ruling that Arthur was correct, if they ever have a FJ clue about Movies and the answer is "What is Dr. Strangelove ?", would "What is How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ?" be consider an acceptable answer ? 

• Love 2

Judging goes wonky again in FJ -- are secondary titles are now acceptable as valid answers ?  Based on the ruling that Arthur was correct, if they ever have a FJ clue about Movies and the answer is "What is Dr. Strangelove ?", would "What is How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ?" be consider an acceptable answer ?

Only if you also draw a fleur de lis at the end.

• Love 10

How in the hell is the secondary title correct?  I couldn't answer FJ correctly, but I will argue that Arthur didn't either.  And I don't dislike Arthur.  (But, really, Arthur -- Tip O'Neill?)

Apparently, I know jack all about Odin.  Not surprising, as religion/mythology is one of the things I'd need to study were I ever to compete, but I really stunk up the joint on that one.  Same with the Battle Creek category, which was also rather expected, as war history is another thing in which I have no interest.

I don't watch the Emmy Awards and don't watch any of the shows the clues were about, but I came up with several of them.

I loved the Brainy Anagrams category, however, and like that each episode of the ToC that I've seen has included a fun category like that.

For the zinc clue, I was initially looking at the glasses in the picture before noticing the sunscreen; once I did, I got it.

Who knew I could identify so many fragrances?  Most if not all were from clues within the clue, though.

James Taylor was a somewhat surprising TS, but maybe they didn't quite grasp the category on that first clue.  But select (after prime and choice) was also a TS near the end of the category, and that was even more surprising.

My biggest "Seriously, people?!" reaction was to Lauren Bacall as a TS, but Patti Lupone in the same category was also surprising. 

I thought the Churchill quote was over-valued as a DD, and the concubines clue was over-valued as well. 

Did Alex pronounce Edinburgh with a long O at the end?  That drives me nuts, but of all people he should know better, and it was kind of muddled to me -- I probably misheard.  But did I also mishear at least one contestant if not two say Harlem instead of harem?

A picture of Christine Baranski?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I didn't get that at all.  I guess they were talking about sunscreen, (the correct response "What is zinc?") but I didn't even notice the sunscreen.

Yeah, me either. I was too busy looking at the glasses thinking "whaaaattt?" until they said the answer was Zinc. Then I thought I was really stupid.

• Love 1

Especially when you see tonight's which is is a standard literature question that one doesn't even have to have read the book,

Well, all I know about Remembrance of Things Past, I learned from the Monty Python sketch about the Summarise Proust Contest, so I had no idea on this FJ and thought it was anything but standard.  I have, however, had the men's choir singing "Proust in his first book, wrote about, wrote about" running on repeat in my head since the show ended at 7:30.

Sooooo close!  So close to never having to look at the douche canoe's smug face ever again!  ARGH!

Enigma as a Daily Double hurts my very soul.

Mine, too.  I was, however, thrilled to pieces that I got zinc, because I realized they were referring to the sunblock on the guy's nose.

It is currently in vogue among literary types to call Remembrance of Things Past (as I have always known it) as In Search of Lost Time, or at least it was a couple of years ago.  Sure, that might be a slightly more accurate translation from the French, but not nearly as poetic.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Apparently, I know jack all about Odin.  Not surprising, as religion/mythology is one of the things I'd need to study were I ever to compete, but I really stunk up the joint on that one.  Same with the Battle Creek category, which was also rather expected, as war history is another thing in which I have no interest.

I rocked the Battle Creek category (I'd just read a book about WWI and loved the clue about the Taxis of the Marne),but found that, although I thought I knew a good bit about Norse mythology, I actually don't.

I'm sure I've heard In Search of Lost Time being the more literal translation of the French title, but when Arthur's answer was revealed, I didn't know what the heck he was referring to. Finally when Alex said Remembrance of Things Past, I said Of course to myself. I haven't read it, but the only thing I really know about it is that the guy's memory is tweaked by a bite of a madeleine.

I thought it was a pretty good game, particularly when Rebecca got her DD, and then when Mark had his little run. I was wondering why Arthur wasn't ringing in. I couldn't imagine that he didn't know so many of the clues, and I also didn't think he could be out-buzzed so much. So I wondered if he was deliberately holding back so the game wouldn't be a complete runaway.

I don't think I got a single Odin clue. If I was ever going to be on Jeopardy, I can't even imagine thinking, "I better study up on Odin."

• Love 1

Arthur Chu was introduced as a compliance analyst today. That's more vague than supply chain professional. At least I have some idea of what a supply chain person does.

I actually know what a compliance analyst is, but to each their own. Here's betting, however, that if asked, his explanation would be coherent, unlike hers. Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

In Search of Lost Time is not a secondary title in the same way as the part of Dr. Strangelove that comes after "or." When dealing with works in translation, they have often been published under more than one title. I recently read a book translated from Russian that has been published in English under two titles: Buddha's Little Finger and The Clay Machine-Gun. Either of those should be perfectly good answers, and the same goes for Remembrance of Things Past/In Search of Lost Time. It actually really irritated me that Alex called it a secondary title; they're both valid, published titles for the same work.

• Love 2

Pinkcupcake, please tell Andrew that I always enjoyed his terrific playing, both in his initial spectacular run and in the QF the other day.  Exceptionally focused player...

Thanks for your kind words - I've passed them along.  :)  I'm glad you recognized his demeanor as being focused - some folks mistake it for smugness, arrogance, that he was mad/unhappy, etc. (I saw so many unkind and untrue things said on Twitter during his original run; it was pretty frustrating to read!).  They don't realize that's just his game face - he's "in the zone" so to speak.  Anyway, he really enjoyed the experience, and we're so proud of how well he did, even though things didn't go his way on ToC.

• Love 7

A picture of Christine Baranski?

Yeah, that was bad.  Patti Lupone as a TS- that made me sad.  (Did anyone else notice that next clue selected was about Mandy Patinkin?)

I'm glad you recognized his demeanor as being focused - some folks mistake it for smugness, arrogance, that he was mad/unhappy, etc.  (I saw so many unkind and untrue things said on Twitter during his original run; it was pretty frustrating to read!)

Sadly, I know that feeling.  There were some horrible things said about me on Twitter when I was on Jeopardy.  For instance, one person speculated that I probably was a cat lady, which is ironic because I can't stand cats.  My personal favorite was that someone commented that I reminded them of Julia Collins because we were both so smug.  I think it's impossible to win more than one game of Jeopardy without coming across as smug to some people.

Edited by Tigershark
  • Love 7

When I said last night's FJ featured a standard novel, I meant one of those horrid, pretentious novels you are expected to read in the MA program for English that  you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who made it through the whole novel. The description of the cookie goes on for 25+ pages with no paragraphing and long, convoluted sentences. IMO only it is beyond insufferable.  Plus there are 7 0r 8 volumes after "Swann's Way" whch is the title where this quote came from.  That should have been accepted also.  Arthur did well to recognize it, so kudos to him on that.  I was rooting for Rebecca and her brave DD that kept the game from being a runaway.

I wish I didn't feel suspicious that the guys in charge had planned to make this a game between Julia, Arthur and Ben all along.  We'll see...

I don't feel suspicious at all. In my imaginary betting pool, that's pretty much what I expected. They were, in my opinion, the three strongest champs of their season.

When I said last night's FJ featured a standard novel, I meant one of those horrid, pretentious novels you are expected to read in the MA program for English that  you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who made it through the whole novel.

Oops, I misunderstood your original post entirely.  Sorry about that.  So now that I understand what you meant by standard, I agree 100 percent.

I'm always surprised when viewers make character judgments about game show contestants.  We see them in a limited, artificial situation.  In a tough show like Jeopardy you have to concentrate if you want to compete.  I'm sure most of use would look less than friendly and humble in the same situation.

When a professional baseball player is at the plate, concentrating on the pitcher and bearing down on hitting a 90 mph fastball, do we call him "arrogant"?  If he gets a hit do we call him "smug"?

• Love 7

I'm always surprised when viewers make character judgments about game show contestants.  We see them in a limited, artificial situation.  In a tough show like Jeopardy you have to concentrate if you want to compete.  I'm sure most of use would look less than friendly and humble in the same situation.

When a professional baseball player is at the plate, concentrating on the pitcher and bearing down on hitting a 90 mph fastball, do we call him "arrogant"?  If he gets a hit do we call him "smug"?

Word.  I don't watch Jeopardy so I can give my insightful character analyses.  I'm not entertained by such posts. It reminds me of local barroom conversations.  There are some posts that don't reveal much about the show but reveal much about the poster.

In Search of Lost Time is not a secondary title in the same way as the part of Dr. Strangelove that comes after "or." When dealing with works in translation, they have often been published under more than one title.

Thank you for this information.  I’ve never heard of the book (under either title), so Alex’s characterization of Arthur’s answer led me astray.  I’m glad there turns out not to be anything wonky about his answer being accepted. 

I can’t wait to see Arthur and Julia competing in the same game.  She had such an impressive run, using more traditional strategy, and while his was shorter he employed some lesser-used strategies better than anyone I can remember.

• Love 1

I'm always surprised when viewers make character judgments about game show contestants. We see them in a limited, artificial situation. In a tough show like Jeopardy you have to concentrate if you want to compete. I'm sure most of use would look less than friendly and humble in the same situation.

When a professional baseball player is at the plate, concentrating on the pitcher and bearing down on hitting a 90 mph fastball, do we call him "arrogant"? If he gets a hit do we call him "smug"?

I agree completely. Regular people don't usually know how to project the perfect persona on camera in a high stress situation.

• Love 2

Jeopardy wants contestants that will speak clearly and confidently when answering, and I think they want people who will relax and have fun.  This combination of confidence and trying to have fun can easily be misinterpreted as "smug."  I just told myself that most people who make these comments are people who could never get on the show in the first place.

• Love 6

Discussion of on-air personalities and contestants without inflammatory language (racist, sexist, etc.) is allowed on these forums. You do not have to engage in these kind of posts; however, please be careful when making observations about your other posters. We don't want you to tell each other how to post or what your opinion should or should not be about certain people. Thanks!

• Love 3

Bastet, is that going to be tonight's show?

Tonight is the last of the semi-finals so Arthur and Julia will play Thursday, Friday in the two-day final, along with whoever wins tonight.

• Love 1

Isn't Jeopardy syndicated to your local FOX or CBS network? I can't imagine why some Pats wrap-up show or whatever would bump Jeopardy! from its slot. Besides, don't the Pats have their own sports station? Like in Syracuse we get YES and whatever the other NYC channel is that I can't think of now and that is where the Giants and Jets shows go. I mean, I don't even think the Bills get a show, unless it's on CBS (Jeopardy! is on FOX here).

I've been missing Jeopardy! on Friday nights because the only station showing it is out of Boston and they have All Patriots on then.  I've just discovered that I do get YES so now I won't miss it:)

• Love 1
I don't think I got a single Odin clue. If I was ever going to be on Jeopardy, I can't even imagine thinking, "I better study up on Odin."

Yeah.  I did get the one about ravens, but only because of a beloved YA historical fiction book.

I had FJ before Alex finished reading the clue; the whole thing about fluted edges or whatever led me right to madeleines, which is the one thing I know about Remembrance of Things Past, but I know it well, I guess.

I can’t wait to see Arthur and Julia competing in the same game.  She had such an impressive run, using more traditional strategy, and while his was shorter he employed some lesser-used strategies better than anyone I can remember.

I gotta admit I'm excited for this too. I couldn't stand Arthur in his first run, and I don't feel bad about it at all, but he and Julia were both such sharp players that I can't see how a match-up between them will be anything less than intense.  Or maybe whoever the third chair is will buck expectations and pull off the win; that would be kind of awesome to watch too.

When a professional baseball player is at the plate, concentrating on the pitcher and bearing down on hitting a 90 mph fastball, do we call him "arrogant"? If he gets a hit do we call him "smug"?

Raises hand in a "yes."

There are certain people I enjoy seeing compete, whether it be in the Olympics, baseball, or game shows.  Who knows why?  But, yes, there are also people who rub me the wrong way in said competitions ... Yvgeny Plushenko comes immediately to mind, while I really like Evan Lysacek. Arthur is a Plushenko, Julia is an Evan.  At least in ChicagoCitaWorld.

I also realize that what I am able to see of them in competition is akin to me looking through a keyhole into a very large room.  I can judge the very small bit of the room I can see through the keyhole.  Yet I am aware that there is a much larger room out there, of which I know nothing.  I'm not going to make a judgment on the whole room, or whole house, based on the little bit I can see through the keyhole.

The Olympics, or Jeopardy, is simply a view through a keyhole.  I judge what I can see.  At the same time, I'm more than willing to acknowledge that there's much more that's not visible to me, and I quite literally do not see the bigger picture.

• Love 1

Holy cow, Ben is good!

I don't like runaways, but you have to give kudos to anybody who can take on two very good contestants and blow them away.

Based on today, I'm picking Ben to win it all.

I'm with you!   I'd like to see Ben win (not only because he's smart) but also because the other two seem polarizing and there would be no end of love or hate for whatever the outcome would be.  Go, Ben!

I think Sandie would make a great host replacement for Alex.  She already has the experience and she has a great personality.

I thought one of the DD's was super easy again. I mean, the clue said a kid...in "The Jungle Book"...but Ben seemed surprised so what do I know.

I cannot wait for the next two days. Unless Julia does not win and then the whole thing will suck.

For Boston viewers --- WBZ TV has Jeopardy scheduled for Saturday at 7:30 PM.  Description: "The 2014 Tournament of Champions concludes with the final championship round. The winner receives a grand prize of $250,000."  I hope this is true.  WBZ loves to preempt Jeopardy for football, elections, shiny things, etc.

I enjoyed watching Ben, too...especially his reaction at the last DD when Alex asked if he wanted to make it a true daily double.  But...to me, he always looks like he just woke up.  Not that that's a bad thing; it's just how I perceive him... I think of Tim Robbins that way, too.

But, yeah, that Rebecca lady? I'm not sure I would've noticed the ill-fitting bra if I hadn't read it mentioned here, but once I did, I couldn't NOT notice it. 

• Love 1

It looked a bit like Ben was going for a joke with the first elephant book he could think of.

Maybe he was, but I thought he just took a wild stab with "Water for Elephants" because of Horton. Since it was a complete guess, he figured he was wrong. I wish I had worked out the answer and concentrated on the elephant part. 

I thought one of the DD's was super easy again. I mean, the clue said a kid...in "The Jungle Book"...but Ben seemed surprised so what do I know.

I'm not saying this happened to Ben, but I kept thinking they were in the Name of the Week category, so I was trying to decide which day was a character in a Kipling book.

For TS's, I got Martin Scorsese, Once, and Jacob's Ladder. Seeing the set of Once in the background helped me get the answer. As for Jacob's Ladder, I never saw the movie, and it wasn't a big success (I think), but somehow it easily came to mind.

I LOVE the scientific Latin name Ittibittium for the marine snail. I want to hug the scientist who came up with that.

Ben was a steamroller. I guess I'm still rooting for Julia, but I just want to see an exciting, evenly matched game. No runaways please.

• Love 2

I was majoring in French at university in the 1980s, and we spent hours and hours discussing the Proust book that was featured in FJ; one of the topics I remember we spent the most time on was the title, which in the original French is, in fact, A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu (In Search of Lost Time). If using that translation is hip these days, I wouldn't know, but back in the 1980s it was certainly the contention of the professor I was studying with, that "Remembrance of Things Past" (the more well-known English title) was a ridiculous and inexplicable liberty on the part of the translators. So, I don't regard Arthur's answer as a secondary title, but actually a more faithful translation, and I had no problem with it being accepted. I actually thought it might mean he'd read the book in French. Ruling him incorrect would have been quite a penalty for actually having some familiarity with the book.

I am excited for the finals. I like both Arthur and Julia a lot (I have nothing against Ben, but I don't remember his original games as much, and am not sure if I actually saw them). With two contestants I'm a fan of, and a third who is a fierce competitor I have nothing against, I think it will be awesome and very tense, whatever happens.

I love the idea of Sandie taking over as host when Alex goes.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

When I was on the show I came in third so I was standing next to him at the end. Since my little story at the interview portion was about going back to school later in life he just was asking me where I went to school and some follow up questions about that. He didn't talk to the other two people.

Now that's the way a FJ question should be written!  Clear, precise, a hint with the elephant reference, and making it a possibility for anyone who reads current fiction or occasionally scans the NYT's best-selling list. 

It was a good clue, but I've read the novel and didn't come close to connecting the quote with the book.

I'm Team Julia, but would be happy with any of them winning!

For Boston viewers --- WBZ TV has Jeopardy scheduled for Saturday at 7:30 PM.  Description: "The 2014 Tournament of Champions concludes with the final championship round. The winner receives a grand prize of $250,000."  I hope this is true.  WBZ loves to preempt Jeopardy for football, elections, shiny things, etc.

That's what they did last week, at least. Someone must have decided that people actually care about the TOC and hate having to tape the middle-of-the-night airing!

Wow, Ben really smoked his competition!  I have to admit that he's obviously a damned good contestant, even if I did find him a little off-putting at first; he did warm up a bit in DJ, so he's obviously one of those people who really concentrates on the game to try and do his best.

I guess I'm Team Julia, although really I'm Team Anybody But Arthur, because I'd be okay with Ben winning.

I didn't get the FJ.  Worked too hard on trying to remember bestsellers from 2006 and didn't think about the elephant connection.  I was amused by how surprised Ben was when his obvious wild guess turned about to be correct.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I actually would not mind any of the three winning. I do think Ben and Arthur seem more quick on the buzzer than Julia. I hope it will be two close games where anyone can win it. I would hate to see any of the three fall off the wayside.

• Love 2