Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

Terpsichore is one of the Muses - Calliope for Epic Poetry, Clio for History, Euterpe for song ... I forget the rest. I had them memorized once upon a time, but that's all that remains now. :)

What I don't get is how the literature professor didn't know Emma. II know it's impossible to have read everything, and I haven't read it either, but by process of elimination considering the Austen novels I have read and the way the clue was worded, I figured it out.

I may have heard what I wanted to hear, but it sounded like Alex added a syllable to Karenina as well.

If I did my Google stalk right, Jenica was in sixth grade in 2006. I'll forgive a bit of immaturity based on that.

I don't really understand why someone would offer a tie to a challenger under today's rules.  Back in the days when you were gone after 5 wins, I always admired anyone who offered a tie to their opponent.  That seemed a very generous thing to do.  Arthur Chu had some snarky reasoning for why he did it but I don't recall exactly how he worded it.

I think Arthur explained that he purposely tied and let one of the contestants play him again in the next episode because he "knew" he could beat her in another game, so therefore he would have only one new contestant, one uncertainty to worry about. I guess it makes sense. I don't know if that's the same thought process this guy had this week, but if it was, technically it kinda worked - in the next episode, he came in second and she came in third, so he did beat her!

I wouldn't admit to picking a major based on a TV show, especially one that's not realistic. 

To be fair, there are any number of astrophysicists and the like who openly credit their career choice to Star Trek...

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 2

To be fair, there are any number of astrophysicists and the like who openly credit their career choice to Star Trek...

I also know several cops (including one on this board) who were influenced by Adam-12 as well as firefighters/EMTs who watched Emergency! in their formative years.

• Love 2

Stupid World Series pre-game show made me miss last night's game.  Pooey!

How can a person get on Jeopardy and not know how to pronounce Anna Karenina correctly?

I've heard it pronounced two different ways.  Not sure which one is correct.  Hope the way I say it is.

Terpsichorean is another word for dancer?

None of the contestants got it and I don't think I've even heard that word before.  I'm glad when I learn something watching this show.

I've heard the word, and knew it refered to the muse of dance, but never heard it used as a direct synonym for dancer.  As you say, learning something new, yay!

I think the reigning champ should have been ruled incorrect in the Astronomy category in the question about KBOs.

He pronounced the 'K' word in his answer like Khyber (as in the Khyber Pass), but it is spelled Kuiper (with a 'p') and is pronounced kai-per.

They really need to get the judging straightened out on what they will accept for answers -- after that 'Goodbye Ruby Tuesday' answer that was accepted in FJ a couple of nights ago, they've set a bad precedent that extra words don't matter as long as they contestant includes the word they are looking for in the answer (which I think is a really bad idea).  So why did they hum and haw over whether that Tony Hawk answer in the Lego Art category was acceptable (it had what they wanted -- 'hawk') ?

In addition, when the reigning champ answered the question in the 1984 category about a Prime Minister of India and he answered "What is Gandhi ?", they should have asked for more information as to which one (since there have been 2).  No different than when there is a question about U.S. Presidents and someone answering with What is Bush ?  What is Johnson ? What is Roosevelt ? What is Harrison ? or What is Adams ? -- they should always ask for more information as to which one regardless of what year is in question.

ETA: Even though it didn't make a difference in the end, the middle contestant lucked out with the answer of "What is jackknife ? in that fish word category.  Who knew ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I did like the way, during the contestant interviews, how Alex tied together Allison's Mermaid aspirations with (I can't remember his name)'s lost keys.

Many decades ago, I was at Weeki-Wachee Springs with my parents.  My mom took a picture of me leaning on the sign "Mermaid School."

Ugh, enough with the ties already. The original champ seemed pretty pissed (but smartly kept a semi-smile for the cameras).

I wish they would be more consistent with the judging too. I also didn't realize contestants could self-correct so much. Basically if Alex pauses, you can guess again?

I didn't think the champ (Ryan) looked pissed. I think he just looked shocked.

I was really surprised that no one got the Space Station from that photo. BTW, what a cool photo.

Others I got were 'carp' and "Catalan.' I also knew all the theme songs except for Workaholics. The only reason I got The Bridge was because of the Mexico/Texas border clue. 

• Love 1

I was really surprised that no one got the Space Station from that photo. BTW, what a cool photo.

Very cool photo.  It seemed clear by Alex's reaction that the contestant who said "space lab" was on the right track and had misspoken, so between that and the image I was also quite surprised neither of the other two rang in with the correct answer.

I loved the fishy words category.

When I saw the FJ category, I thought I was doomed - who ruled what when clues are not my thing - but once the clue was revealed I knew it instantly.

Count me in among those annoyed by the lack of a "be more specific" on Gandhi, the Hitchcock clue, and allowing the late correction of Tony Hawk to hawk.

I missed that board unveiling. Did Alex explain what a capitonym is?

As Alex explained it (if I remember correctly), a capitonym is a word that when capitalized has a different meaning and pronunciation -- and that contestants would have to pronounce both versions of the word.

• Love 2

I loved that category, too.  I love homonym categories in general, and it was a nice twist to have one word in each pair be the name of a capital.  I was watching the football game during commercials, and came back a couple of clues into the round so I missed the explanation of that category.  When I realized what a "capitonym" was upon seeing the first clue in that category unveiled, I laughed out loud.

Edited by Bastet

Ah, yes, of course - how quickly it became muddled in my mind ... polish/Polish, mobile/Mobile, etc.  I held my breath for a beat thinking the DD contestant was going to blow Tangier/tangier by forgetting to phrase it in the form of a question.

I wish they would be more consistent with the judging too. I also didn't realize contestants could self-correct so much. Basically if Alex pauses, you can guess again?

When I was on Jeopardy, the production assistant who prepped my group of contestants told us we could self-correct and have the answer be ruled as correct IF Alex hadn't yet said the answer was wrong.  (Wished I'd remembered that for my one really stupid answer.)  But he did seem to pause longer than usual on the Hawk thing and the not responding in the form of a question occurrence last night.

When I saw the FJ category, I thought I was doomed - who ruled what when clues are not my thing - but once the clue was revealed I knew it instantly.

I was both overjoyed and pissed when I saw the category, because that is one of my dream FJ categories and I so wish I'd gotten that as my FJ.  Then I saw the clue and was annoyed that it was so bloody easy.  (N.B. Naming all the rulers of England from Edward the Confessor to Elizabeth II, and some of their spouses as well, is one of my party tricks.  Yes, I go to really lame parties. lol)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Naming all the rulers of England from Edward the Confessor to Elizabeth II, and some of their spouses as well, is one of my party tricks.

That's better than me!  I can only name them since William I - so last night's FJ was super easy for me.

Yeah, I was annoyed with the judging last night too.  I think Tony Hawk should have been ruled incorrect.

• Love 1

I didn't even realize that the clue was asking for hawk rather than Tony Hawk. The way Alex intoned it didn't seem to put any more emphasis on "this bird" over "a well-known skateboarder," so I was as baffled as the contestant as to why he didn't immediately say that Tony Hawk was right.

And yes, as far as self-correcting goes, you have as long as it takes Alex to decide to say no. The inconsistency there is all human - how long Alex decides to hem and haw about it (although sometimes the off-screen judges will yell "No!" and take it out of his hands!).

I can name all of the rulers of England back to Edward the Confessor, too!! Sad thing is that I have to think harder about American presidents -- I get a bit tangled up in all the one-term presidents between 1830 and 1856, and then again between 1876 and 1896.

Ugh, enough with the ties already. The original champ seemed pretty pissed (but smartly kept a semi-smile for the cameras).

Why would he be pissed? Wasn't the alternative him losing the game?

But he did seem to pause longer than usual on the Hawk thing and the not responding in the form of a question occurrence last night.

The hawk pause yes, but doesn't Alex always remain silent when a contestant has the right answer but forgets to respond in the form of a question in Double Jeopardy? The contestant has until time's up to self-correct. In the Jeopardy round he will remind players who forget.

Edited by dcalley

The tie is only conceivably a smart play by the one going into FJ ahead when #2 is obviously Not Worthy and only got that far because of something like one lucky True Daily Double, to weaken the potential field for the next game.  But even then I wouldn't do it - even if he or she is a mouthbreathing dummy they still will have had practice at the button, while two fresh contenders will need some time to get that and their nerves under control.

I can name all of the rulers of England back to Edward the Confessor, too!! Sad thing is that I have to think harder about American presidents -- I get a bit tangled up in all the one-term presidents between 1830 and 1856, and then again between 1876 and 1896.

I have problems with US presidents too - pretty much eveyone between Monroe and Teddy Roosevelt.  I mean, I know some, but not all, of their names, but when they were president and who followed who - just not happening for the most part.

It was really only after I realized that I knew more about English rulers than I did American presidents that I buckled down and made a real effort to memorize them and their order. I knew from "Tippecanoe and Tyler, too!" and the fact that WH Harrison (Tippecanoe) was the first president to die in office in 1841, who was president in 1841-1845, but otherwise, I was lost between Van Buren and Buchanan.

The VP category yesterday was a bit easier since they went with 20th century VPs and mostly recent ones, at that. Agnew did stump me, though--I was really impressed that the one contestant got him! I was working my way up through the century, but hadn't made it to the 1970s before she had the answer.

Tyler was quite the hipster - identified as a blogger, American flag boots, the vest.

M.I.B. = Mint in Box.  I figured the "in Box" part as did Allison.  But like her I missed "Mint".

Flight simulator - I missed that, too.

I'm really surprised American was a triple stumper.  Between the area of the country and the language about "un-hyphenating" and identifying "simply as this" (or similar), I figured at least one would reason their way to it. 

Malaprop and diacritical mark also surprised me as triple stumpers (and I don't think Alex's misstatement had much to do with the latter).  I loved the "Words About Words" category.

The Picture of Dorian Gray seemed over-valued in the "Only One" category.  As did the clue about Nora in A Doll's House.  

There was a remake of That Darn Cat?

In the final DD, the answer came to me almost immediately even though I'm not familiar with the specific term -- reference to condition took me right to mint, and then IB meaning in box just popped into my head.  It was a little weird.

I couldn't reason my way to FJ, however.  I must have spit out half a dozen machines related to flying, none of which were the answer.

I'm really surprised American was a triple stumper.  Between the area of the country and the language about "un-hyphenating" and identifying "simply as this" (or similar), I figured at least one would reason their way to it. 

Malaprop and diacritical mark also surprised me as triple stumpers (and I don't think Alex's misstatement had much to do with the latter).

I was surprised at that and at the miss on African-American.

I also don't think Alex misspeaking had any effect.

It may have. I was reading the clue along with Alex and literally didn't notice that the words said accent and he said ancient. I thought ancient was a weird word to have in there, but I had to rewind to see that it was in fact different in the written clue versus what was read. So I was indignant thinking--it's a kind of accent mark! Are they crazy?

I loved the Words category, but I had a hard time bringing the answers to mind. 

In the Creature Features category, when "The Day of the ______" came up, I immediately said "Locust!" There's a horrendous scene in there that I remember randomly from time to time. Anyway, that was 1975, not 1973.

I did get Mint in Box. I didn't really KNOW the term, but it just made sense.

I don't see why they showed a pic of Kevin Spacey. It wasn't needed.

For FJ, my mind was going in a different direction. I thought the clue was talking about an invention that was causing airplanes to crash, so the govt bought them to keep them out of the hands of others. The thing that popped to my mind was laser pointers, but those aren't machines, and I doubt they were invented in 1929.

For the "Day of the _________" in Creature Features, I immediately thought of Day of the Dolphin, which was also 1973.  I wonder if it would have been accepted.

I thought the exact same thing and thought I was wrong -- sometimes if a clue has more than one answer, Alex will say  "we would have also accepted ______".

The VP category yesterday was a bit easier since they went with 20th century VPs and mostly recent ones, at that. Agnew did stump me, though--I was really impressed that the one contestant got him!

I'm from Maryland, and would've felt like an idiot had I not gotten the first of two successive Maryland governors to be convicted of financial/legal improprieties which occurred while they were in office.  (The second was Marvin Mandel, btw.)

There was a remake of That Darn Cat?

Yes.  It sucked.

In the Creature Features category, when "The Day of the ______" came up, I immediately said "Locust!"

I came up with "Dolphin" followed immediately by "Lepus" - no jackal here.

I know Mint in the Box from Antiques Roadshow, but I had absolutely no idea on FJ.

I knew it from Big Bang Theory.  But all I could think of for FJ was something to do with parachutes, and I knew that wasn't right.  Kind of a pleasant surprise to get stumped for a change, because lately the FJs have been on the easy side.

• Love 1

Today's game... what the hell?  That was embarrassing. I guess these are the people are the reason we get the "[picture of JFK]/Who Is JFK" questions. 

I admit I got Bohr because for some reason he's always the first scientist I think of whenever Nobel prizes are mentioned. Still, Einstein = Scandinavia? I can't.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3