Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: The Celebration Experimentation

Leslie, Barry and Sheldon are senior research scientists at the same university. Just because they don't appear together regularly in episodes doesn't mean they don't run into each other often at work or at lunch. Barry frequently stopped in at Sheldon's office, if only to bug him. Who's to say Leslie didn't, too?

Yes, absolutely. That's what I meant. Who's to say the HR lady has not been seeing Sheldon at work every day? We could use this reasoning to explain having absolutely any character at Sheldon's party. It's no different than "he/she was there because the writers wanted it so." Which I have no problem with, mind you.

• Love 1

Leslie, Barry and Sheldon are senior research scientists at the same university. Just because they don't appear together regularly in episodes doesn't mean they don't run into each other often at work or at lunch. Barry frequently stopped in at Sheldon's office, if only to bug him. Who's to say Leslie didn't, too?

That is what I didn't understand regarding Leslie and Leonard's conversation. It was a "long time no see" comment but don't they work at the same university? They often ran into each other in the cafeteria - why wouldn't they still? And how could Leslie not know that Leonard is married and has been for awhile now. The whole convervation did not ring true to me.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

That is what I didn't understand regarding Leslie and Leonard's conversation. It was a "long time no see" comment but don't they work at the same university? They often ran into each other in the cafeteria - why wouldn't they still? And how could Leslie not know that Leonard is married and has been for awhile now. The whole convervation did not ring true to me.

I think that was more meant to be commentary the fact a) we haven't seen Sara in years and b) Sara and Johnny previously played a married couple on Roseanne and have known each other since they were teens.

• Love 1

Yeah, that's the problem: this explanation could be totally reasonable, except the answer to your final question is "Leonard". Unless we're meant to believe Sheldon still runs into Leslie Winkle but Leonard somehow didn't. But then who invited her? Amy? Ok maybe, but again, why would Amy think he'd want Leslie to come? I get that it was really just for the actors, and I was amused by his "I hate change" but it was super forced. It actually could've been funnier if they played it like she'd never disappeared and the audience just didn't happen to have seen her. But they went the other direction, and then didn't really, to me, support it. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

I think that was more meant to be commentary the fact a) we haven't seen Sara in years and b) Sara and Johnny previously played a married couple on Roseanne and have known each other since they were teens.

That would make even less sense - at least to me. a) 'We' aren't supposed to exist. b). That would be assuming that they never run into each other at award shows, and a gazillion other fuctions that actors throw to pat themselves on their backs. But irregardless of their past history IRL, it should have no bearing on their present characters.

• Love 1

Let's talk about Leonard's mom. Geeze, she never wanted that kid. Never. And does her best to pretend he doesn't exist. The only reason Leonard ever even hears from her is because she loves Sheldon so much. That was unnecessarily mean spiritied and cold. Her blatant abuse of him made me hate this show just a little bit more.

Really Meh episode. Didn't dig it. Didn't hate it. Just...geeze louise my heart hurts for Leonard. That boy was just flat out abused, verbally and psychologically, as a child and he never "got over" it.  I can't  with that. I just can't. It was so unnecessarily EVIL of the show and not at all funny - having everybody at her party BUT Leonard. Even his own Roommate flew to JERSEY for the party and Leonard never knew. Geeze....that's....geeze....there are no words for how awful of a thing that is for your MOTHER to do to you.

Sorry for the darkness, but that really really bothered me (in case you couldn't tell).

• Love 8

Makes me wonder of Lorre has some mommy issues.  Leonard's mother is just another version of Charlie and Alan's mother from Two and a Half Men.  Selfish, self-involved and completely blind to their own inadequacies as a parent.

• Love 3

Personally I didn't think it was at all odd that Leslie was there. Her relationship with Sheldon ("dumbass" to Leslie) isn't much different than his with Barry. Just because it has been awhile since we have seen her on screen insulting Sheldon doesn't mean she hasn't been at the university doing it all along. Which is why the conversation with Leonard didn't ring true. I do agree with another poster though who said that Sara Gilbert looked very thin and not well.

Neither did the revelation that apparently Sheldon flew cross country to attend Leonard's mother's birthday party. Leonard and Penny live with Sheldon part time, and the rest of the time they are across the hall. He shares every faucet of his life with them including his bowel movement schedule. The likelihood that he disappeared for a couple of days to fly cross country without their knowledge is slim to none.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 3

Trying to figure out how Sheldon would have gotten to New Jersey and back without the people he lives with knowing it kind of took me out of the rest of the episode.  Even if Leonard and Penny had been out of town, Sheldon doesn't keep secrets (other than when his birthday was and look what happened when he finally let that one out!).

I like Bowie with more gray, it somehow makes Kripke seem less dickish.

I took Leonard and Leslie's "long time" comment mean since they'd seen each other socially, and maybe a reference to how long it had been since they'd hooked up, since Leonard would think it meant something and Leslie was all "thanks, I'm good til New Year's".

Mary Cooper not being there didn't surprise me, she's in Texas and has another child there (along with at least one grandchild) whose birthday is the exact same day.

ETA I was writing the same thought, UsernameFatigue!  Sheldon is a walking TMI.

Sara Gilbert had a child not long ago, could be she's just sleep and energy deprived.  

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2

The best scene was Penny and Sheldon in the bathroom. They are the best pairing on the show even though it has never been anything romantic between them.

The Adam West thing fell a bit flat to me. The Batman debate has been done to death, nothing new. Plus they STOLE almost WORD FOR WORD West's line about not needing a special suit to look muscular from I believe The Simpsons. (Or maybe Family guy, but one of the two)

I had forgot about Leslie. And yes Kripke looks much older with the grey hair.

• Love 1

I saw the rerun tonight of the episode in which Penny and Sheldon sing the Penny Blossom work song. Soooo much better than any karaoke or singing in this season.

However, I did think they finally wrote a decent part for Stephen Hawking.

I wonder how much the fact of "Happy Birthday To You" finally going into public domain influenced its inclusion.

I mean, was it because it's topical, or just because they didn't need to pay royalties and so could afford all the other cast cameos?

Let's talk about Leonard's mom. Geeze, she never wanted that kid. Never. And does her best to pretend he doesn't exist. The only reason Leonard ever even hears from her is because she loves Sheldon so much. That was unnecessarily mean spiritied and cold. Her blatant abuse of him made me hate this show just a little bit more.

Really Meh episode. Didn't dig it. Didn't hate it. Just...geeze louise my heart hurts for Leonard. That boy was just flat out abused, verbally and psychologically, as a child and he never "got over" it.  I can't  with that. I just can't. It was so unnecessarily EVIL of the show and not at all funny - having everybody at her party BUT Leonard. Even his own Roommate flew to JERSEY for the party and Leonard never knew. Geeze....that's....geeze....there are no words for how awful of a thing that is for your MOTHER to do to you.

Sorry for the darkness, but that really really bothered me (in case you couldn't tell).

RIGHT! And if I were Sheldon I'd refuse to attend unless Leonard were invited.

THis could have been hilarious and it wasn't for me. I wish they'd done a 200th like Cheers did with all the cast telling stories of behinds the scenes and plenty of old clips.

• Love 3

It was an ok episode.  Didn't really feel like a 200th episode celebration though, but then again the 100th slid past and I never knew it.  In fact, I just Googled to see which episode it was.

So, is Stuart no longer living with Howard and Bernadette?  If so, he didn't know she was pregnant.  Right !!!

And Emily is gone.  I don't miss her, but will Raj ever get the right girlfriend?

I was ok with Leslie being there, especially knowing it was the 200th episode. If I hadn't known that, though, her appearance would have seemed really random.

Leonard's mother flew all across the country for Sheldon's birthday, but not his mother.  They should have at least mentioned Mrs. Cooper.

Adam West was ok.  But shouldn't Sheldon have been more excited. In fact, it should have resulted in another restraining order for Sheldon's collection.

And always nice to have Stephen Hawking remember Sheldon.

And Kripte and Will Wheaton, however, were logical guests.

So, again, ok episode. 

Edited by buffynut

The writers for this show continue to embarrass themselves and bore us. Wasting time with karaoke singing or birthday greetings so they don't need to write snappy entertaining dialogue, making some characters repeat dialogue they've said on other shows (Batman, and Leslie with her "dumbass" cliche, and cliches from Leonard's mother) to waste time while earning obscene amounts of money.

And who in the audience gives a flying fig whether a show is 200th or 100th or 39th? Recognizing an artificial milestone like that is just "breaking the fourth wall," which is also a way to distract the audience from sadsack writing and plot. The Show is just a pain in the ass to celebrate itself so vainly like that. ("Cheers" was also guilty of patting itself on the back instead of entertaining and being accountable for the time we gave it).

I've totally lost patience with this show and its pretentious weak writers. Compare some of the early episodes with the pablum they are dishing out now. The actors (except for the one who plays Penny*), bless 'em, are struggling to do their best with what they are being given, and are trying to earn their salaries.

(*The whole cast was on a talk show together recently, but the Penny actress  tried to steal the spotlight and keep it on herself. She slurred her words and fidgeted a lot.)

'

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 4

I pretty much feel the same way you do P3pp3rb1rd.  Except at this stage, the writers show enough occasional flashes of brilliance to keep me coming back for more.  This was one of the more mediocre episodes of the recent past.  I agree that most of the actors seemed to be making the most of a lame script.

(*The whole cast was on a talk show together recently, but the Penny actress  tried to steal the spotlight and keep it on herself. She slurred her words and fidgeted a lot.)

Slurring her words, huh?  Just a feeling, with nothing to substantiate it, but methinks both Kaley and Penny love partaking of the grape whenever they can, lol.

Something else that took me out of this episode is the noticeable, natural aging of some of the characters.  I watch Sara Gilbert's talk show; she looks pretty much the same to me, not everyone, showbiz or not, ages well.  I myself started greying around age 35, family trait.   

If nothing else, this episode for me totally debunked the "Penny is the hottest girl alive" trope.  The dress did absolutely nothing for her, between the boob job that now have her breasts headed in different directions and the bow legs (not saying this to be mean or anything, most of us have flaws), a lot of guys would take Bernadette over Penny any day.  The actress is cute, but the constant building her up to be a beauty Queen has always bugged.

• Love 3

So, is Stuart no longer living with Howard and Bernadette?  If so, he didn't know she was pregnant.  Right !!!

I'm not sure where Stuart is living but he moved out of Howard and Bernadette's house a few episodes ago.  I liked the byplay between him and Penny while he was frosting the cake.  Come to think of it I think Penny was the best part of the show, she had some of the best lines and got a chance to play off most of the characters.

• Love 3

Leonard's mother flew all across the country for Sheldon's birthday, but not his mother.  They should have at least mentioned Mrs. Cooper.

At least they mentioned his twin sister and gave reasons for why she wouldn't be there. If the actress wasn't available, they could have had a brief one-sided phone call with Sheldon saying something like, "Of course. Your bible study group must take a political stand on blah blah" or something.
  • Love 2

I'm not sure where Stuart is living but he moved out of Howard and Bernadette's house a few episodes ago.  I liked the byplay between him and Penny while he was frosting the cake.  Come to think of it I think Penny was the best part of the show, she had some of the best lines and got a chance to play off most of the characters.

Thanks.  I missed a couple episodes, so it must have been one of those. Did he leave voluntarily?  Or did they kick him out?

At least they mentioned his twin sister and gave reasons for why she wouldn't be there.

Frankly it made a lot more "in the real world" sense that Mary Cooper wouldn't be there than that Beverly actually was!  Sure it was to honour the show's 200th episode and I'm fine with that but it was also done to underline the special bond Beverly has with Sheldon that she most definitely doesn't have with Leonard! 

It was just another birthday unless I missed something.  It was nice that they celebrated it as up to that point Sheldon hadn't wanted them to do that but I wouldn't expect my mother to fly all the way from Texas to California (or all the way from Montreal to Toronto for that matter) if the birthday wasn't of any particular significance.

I missed a couple episodes, so it must have been one of those. Did he leave voluntarily?  Or did they kick him out?

It's in The Sales Call Sublimation and he leaves voluntarily - well except there is a creepy little ending that makes it clear he still has a key!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1

Adam West was ok.  But shouldn't Sheldon have been more excited. In fact, it should have resulted in another restraining order for Sheldon's collection.

I liked this episode and since I never saw Adam West in the shows others referenced I found his comments funny - and total kudos to Mr West he is 87 and he was great in this episode - but I totally agree with you.  I would have expected at the very least that Sheldon (or Sherman as Adam West called him) would have talked to "Batman"!

• Love 4

The best scene was Penny and Sheldon in the bathroom. They are the best pairing on the show even though it has never been anything romantic between them.

Agreed, but the Amy/Howard combination during the scavenger hunt was pretty awesome as well. As was the Bernie/Leonard combo, same episode, in a different way.

• Love 1

To explain the absence of Mrs. Cooper, the party was pretty last minute. And she might have already made plans with Sheldon's sister given that Sheldon has never had an interest in marking his birthday before this.

I do think we should have had Laurie Metcalf back for the 200th though, she's always a hoot!

• Love 6

Thanks.  I missed a couple episodes, so it must have been one of those. Did he leave voluntarily?  Or did they kick him out?

It's in The Sales Call Sublimation and he leaves voluntarily - well except there is a creepy little ending that makes it clear he still has a key!

Thanks. :)

I know these characters have relationships and have grown and that's great, but there's something I don't understand. What happened to all the science-y goodness they used to have in the first seasons? They are still scientists, are they not? I MISS THAT STUFF

• Love 2

I know these characters have relationships and have grown and that's great, but there's something I don't understand. What happened to all the science-y goodness they used to have in the first seasons? They are still scientists, are they not? I MISS THAT STUFF

You miss the thing that made this show quirky and unique, and separated it from the other cookie-cutter sitcoms about young singles finding love in the big city? Huh.

One of the better episodes from last year was when the guys realized the date from Back to the Future II was coming up and struggled to invent a hoverboard to commemorate the occasion. They kept getting distracted, but it blended the nerdiness with humor beautifully.

• Love 1

It's too bad they couldn't get Sheldon's mother to come to the party; I suppose the actress was busy, but I don't think they even mentioned her, did they?

I found it rather odd that Mary wasn't there and nary a mention.  It took me right out of the episode. 

• Love 1

I found it rather odd that Mary wasn't there and nary a mention.  It took me right out of the episode.

It didn't bother me because after all it's not like Sheldon planned his own party and as mentioned upthread it's not like it was a special birthday. I live in another province from my parents and don't expect to see them on my birthday even if someone was throwing me a party.  On the other hand it would have been nice if the actress who portrays her could have been there to celebrate their 200th episode. 

So does anyone know is Emily gone for good?  I really hope so, I didn't mind the actress but I found the character too creepy to be funny and am so sick of the guys putting up with crazy women just so they get to have sex.

• Love 1

If they still had the science-y goodness at the university, we wouldn't be wondering why in the hell Kripke and Leslie were there. Those two used to be a part of the visible social sphere of the boys at work - now, along with the science, they're the assumed-but-invisible part of their lives.

• Love 1

There's no time to mention someone as insignificant as Sheldon's mother!  Kripkie and Leslie Winkle are way more important.  Some things just have to go when they have under 18 minutes for a whole show.

Edited by Kakistos
  • Love 2

My only reaction to all the praise Sheldon was receiving: Why on Earth do they all like this asshole so much?

Are you refering to the other characters, or the fans of the show.

In the second case, because he is funny. Who else starts ranting detailed facts about everyday things all of the sudden, or has difficult time understanding basic conversation elements like sarcasm, has a detailed knowledge about flags and is willing to make a whole online series about it, or makes golden fish that glow in the dark when he gets depressed? Except Spencer Reid (in some things), but he is funny too. Because those things are unconventional and the guy is so into it.

Also, I daresay that the show makes it quite obvious that Sheldon is actually quite self aware of his flaws and doesn't just lash out at others. As much as some people dislike the Roommate Agreement (or Relationship Agreement), it introduced Leonard (and later Amy) to all of Sheldon's expectations, interests and flaws from the beginning, and they didn't have to accept it, or not negotiate over some parts before signing it. 

Not to mention, despite his many flaws, he is quite generous in the areas where most of the people probably wouldn't be. Do you know many people who would borrow you eight hundred dollars just like that, or would help you figure out a video game if you came into their room in the middle of the night and asked them to? He does have serious phobias regarding germs and bacteria and doesn't even know how to drive, but he has managed to overcome that in order to give CPR, drive Penny to the hospital, take care of Amy when she was sick, and eventually have sex with Amy.

Also, among the four main characters, Sheldon is the most passionate about the nerd stuff.

I don't think the reasons for his friend (and girlfriend) liking him are much different either.

And really, if characters like T-Bag from "Prison Break" have a huge fanbase, is liking Sheldon Cooper really that shocking?

• Love 3

I don't think the reasons for his friend (and girlfriend) liking him are much different either.

I agree with you but also if you really listen to the nice things his friends said about him they are being nice but they are acknowledging as Howard once said "That crazy bastard is looking at quirky in the rear view mirror."  Especially Leonard who had some great little comments throughout this episode that make it clear that he cares about Sheldon but he's not under any illusions about him.  As Leonard says he thinks of him like a brother.  So it makes sense that if he feels that way that he's prepared to put up with stuff the average person wouldn't.

• Love 2

I agree with you but also if you really listen to the nice things his friends said about him they are being nice but they are acknowledging as Howard once said "That crazy bastard is looking at quirky in the rear view mirror."  Especially Leonard who had some great little comments throughout this episode that make it clear that he cares about Sheldon but he's not under any illusions about him.  As Leonard says he thinks of him like a brother.  So it makes sense that if he feels that way that he's prepared to put up with stuff the average person wouldn't.

I thought Leonard isn't that crazy about his brother :-)

As Leonard says he thinks of him like a brother.

In that little speech Leonard also said he thinks Sheldon has helped make him a better scientist and I think that's probably true.  The paper they wrote last season for example was based on an idea that Leonard had but it was Sheldon he went to for confirmation that he was on to something and for help to make it better.  I liked that they did that, it showed Sheldon in a much better light where Leonard's career is concerned than it ever had before.

• Love 4

I agree that this show sucks now. I can barely sit through it, probably why I didn't get to watching it until today. I agree with the poster above who said Who the Frig Cares if it is the 200th episode? I would not have known had I not seen it here. I only watch because I love the Sheldon character. I despise Bernadette and just cannot with her character. I thought Adam West's "acting" was terrible! 

I liked they used a party to celebrate the milestone.

So Sheldon  went to Leonard's mom's birthday party and celebrated with Leonard's siblings and Leonard had no idea or was invited. I don't think that's funny. Cruel and mean.

Maybe at some point we'll meet Leonard's father. Maybe he will either make up for Bev's cruelty or we'll see why she hates Sheldon so much--resembling his father? perhaps? I suggest Jason Alexander, Andy Kindler, or Louis C.K. as the mysterious Dr. Hofstadter. It's clear to me that Leonard is paying for his father's sins in some way.

Maybe at some point we'll meet Leonard's father. Maybe he will either make up for Bev's cruelty or we'll see why she hates Sheldon so much--resembling his father? perhaps? I suggest Jason Alexander, Andy Kindler, or Louis C.K. as the mysterious Dr. Hofstadter. It's clear to me that Leonard is paying for his father's sins in some way.

Louis C.K. is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure his "deadpan" style of humor would translate well to BBT.  :o)  Jason Alexander would kill, I could also see Andy Kindler being able to convey how beat-down the mysterious Dr. Hofstadter would probably be.  Peter Boyle, G-d Bless him, would have been perfect if he were still with us.  The snarky goodness would have been legendary.  For some strange reason, I think Rob Reiner could work too.

I thought Adam West's "acting" was terrible!

The idea worked a lot better on The Simpsons where he only had a voice-over and didn't have to sell it physically. I expect that it was rough to play himself in an unflattering way. The writers should have gone in a different direction.