Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Candidate

thewhiteowl

Mellie seeks out Olivia's help but may not be prepared for what that entails, and Liz tries to convince Susan Ross to run for the presidency. Meanwhile, Abby and Cyrus are at odds when a profile piece on Fitz comes into question.

I felt like every line Mellie and Liv said shouted "plot contrivance! Recon! Rewrite Scandal history!" in an attempt to set up future plot lines.

David and Lizzie... ew. Susan is nice. Come back to the light, David.

Would it have killed them to toss Mellie's completely unearned sense of entitlement towards the Presidency into the heap of things we the audience are being asked to completely forget about?  

At the very least if she was going to be that delusional, they could have at least had her be ruthlessly ambitious about it. And they could have had her do it without this phony bonding with Liv. If Mellie was going balls to the wall to be the next President, with the secondary goal of having Liv be her bitch for the entirety of said Mellie administration, I could get behind it. 

• Love 2

I've watched Scandal since the first episode. Tonight was the first time I literally changed the channel. I think that speaks volumes for the state of this show. I think it is officially beyond salvagability for me.

I love how a show based on a black woman, created by a black woman and ostensibly starring a black woman, does nothing but denigrate the black woman and have her serve as a prop for the white characters. Shonda needs to reevaluate what her agenda is with this show.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 16

I reached the point where no character (but Susan) has my sympathy or interest. 

Olivia has been beaten down so that she's a shadow of herself. Her Gang of "Mongrels" are just sad, broken people. Huck is a monster, Quinn is a bigger monster and Mayoral Candidate is forgettable. 

Cy could be written off the show now, he's found a new candidate. Maybe one "You betrayed me" scene, but that story is done. 

Abby is fine, just no story. 

I love Josh Malina, but David Rosen went from a very good man to a complete harlot and spineless opportunist. Hate Liz. 

Fitz is done. In the end, he is a man who deeply despises many women (his relationships are extremely emotionally abusive) and yet needs their constant care. 

Mellie is a great character, but she's written so break-neck and whiplash that I have no idea who she is. 

If everyone but Susan and Abby were eaten by Vermicious Knids, I'd think Karma finally got them. 

I think the show will go on for years, but this might be my last season. 

• Love 5

I very much had mixed emotions about this episode. On the good side was Olivia and Mellie. I would watch a show of just the two of them talking, drinking and scheming. I liked the mix of emotions that eventually lead to Mellie realizing the truth of why she stayed. Most longtime viewers probably already knew that (or at least guessed it), but it was still interesting to see her lay it all out there, realize she couldn't be THAT honest with the American public, and Olivia helping her craft her message to something that is both relatively truthful and empowering. And in my opinion, Mellie is about the only one who can pull off a Shondalogue without it devolving into over the top emotionalism (though I like it when Olivia's Shondalogues are restrained, but truthful). 

I had a very mixed reaction to David, Susan, and Lizzie. When David and Lizzie first hooked up, I was all for a one time dirty sex hookup. But apparently, six months later they are still together and I'm not feeling it. Lizzie just comes across as so sleazy and power hungry, and it reminds me of how David can be sleazy at times, and I prefer to think of him as more of a white hat. I could totally support a Susan and David pairing, but he doesn't want her, the very nice woman he actually has a more equitable connection with, who really likes HIM. No, he wants to have dirty sex on his office floor with Lizzie, who basically seems to have nothing but contempt for him. And while I would like to think David's speech to Susan was from the heart, I can't get past the idea that he was only doing it so Lizzie would continue to give him what he wants sexually.

And I just feel grossed out by Olivia and Jake. At one point, I was on board with their liaison, but that ended a couple years ago. Now it just feels dirty and degrading. No way can Olivia be that hard up for sex that she needs to hate screw Jake. She can do so much better for lovers, even casual lovers. Their sex just seems so transactional and makes Olivia seem like a prostitute (who isn't even getting paid for her troubles), and that makes me want to take a Silkwood shower. It's the same feeling of grossness I had a few seasons ago when Olivia and Fitz were having a screaming fight, briefly interrupted to screw against the wall, and once he came, Fitz tossed her aside and treated Olivia like some sort of cum dumpster, and that is a nasty way to showcase the show's protagonist. It doesn't seem like Olivia is getting much from this hookup, so what is the point of it continuing? 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 8

I wasn't giving it my full attention, because I hate it when the show's characters have a need to demand answers to questions about someone's relationship (or dreaded love triangle). I remember gritting my teeth when they did that in one CW show: they had characters trapped in a school, just so they could put their full attention on a worn-out story line. 

Shonda seems to have this need to break down her strong female characters. I wish she could show that they're human, without totally destroying them. 

I also don't like seeing Olivia sleeping with Jake. I don't like him, anyway, but she could do so much better.

The worst part for me, though, was that reporter practically squeeing like a fan girl, and admitting to a crush on what's his name. Fitz. 

Edited by Anela

Well, I discovered the moment I started hating David Rosen -- down boy indeed, you crass, amoral asshole.  

I re-watched the Mellie/Olivia stuff multiple times.  I loved every minute of them getting real with each other, especially over some of Mellie's family's really good hooch.  

I knew the second Fitz sat down with age-appropriate reporter that he'd be boning her before the end of the episode.  A date?  Oh, puhleeze.   

ETA -- where the fuck is Cyrus's young, handsome husband?  Has this been addressed onscreen?  And I also thought Jake and Olivia at the beginning having anonymous sex was kinda hot.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 3

I really hoped that David Rosen was going to end his thing with Liz when she showed up at his office after his date with Susan... But no, it seems that he really is ok with playing Susan like that. 

And I just feel grossed out by Olivia and Jake. At one point, I was on board with their liaison, but that ended a couple years ago. Now it just feels dirty and degrading. No way can Olivia be that hard up for sex that she needs to hate screw Jake. She can do so much better for lovers, even casual lovers. 

I do agree with you, but the last time Liv found a casual lover he turned out to be another guy sent by her father to seduce her so I can kinda see why she just sticks with Jake. Better the devil you know and all that. 

Oh, and Ricardo Chavira looks alot younger now than he did when Desperate Housewives ended. 

Edited by PrincessTT
  • Love 2

.............................so who on this fucking show am I supposed to cheer for again?

I'm quoting this from the prior episode's thread because it says it all.  WTF did I just watch?  David Rosen fake-wooing Susan . . . I can't even.  David Rosen on his hands and knees on command; Olivia allowing Jake back in her bed after he MURDERED an innocent man to get the job as head of the NSA on the orders of her father who MURDERED the president's son -- I just don't know how we are supposed to watch all this and identify with ANYONE.

What I want know is where is TMZ?  The president's former mistress is dining out with a convicted criminal who was released . . . actually I can't even recall how it is that that MURDERER got released . . . but anyway why isn't the press up in an uproar? 

Oh, I see the problem.  I've accidentally tuned in to "How to get away wit MURDER" by mistake.

Olivia allowing Jake back in her bed . . . I have no words.  And that lame "This won't happen again."  Ugh.  

So, Mellie knew all about Jam Cabin? LOL!

Actually Mellie said "cabins" plural.  Does Fitz have another secret hide-away that we don't know about yet?  You know what?  Never mind.  I find I just don't care.

ETA: Serious question.  Does anyone think that whole "Why did you stay?" discussion and Mellie's confession and rationalization (and, quite frankly, the whole redemption-of-Mellie plot arc) is politically motivated to help Hillary Clinton?  I ask because I'm a Democrat (and I assume Shonda Rhimes is too) and I presume Hillary must have HATED the whole Mellie-gets-elected-Senator-and-her-estranged-President-husband-promises-to-support-her-run-for-President story line.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6

Olivia and Mellie good stuff. DC's next power couple. Fitz is a dog who can't keep it in his pants. I hoe that reported exposes him for exactly what he is, it will vindicate both Mellie and Olivia. Olivia/Jake angry sex was good, who hasn't done that with their X.  Think we can put this show out of it's misery now.  

Please can this show just be Mellie and Olivia getting drunk, fighting and making up? That's all they need. All the other stuff is just noise. They don't need Fitz or Jake or whatever Papa Pope is into this week, all they need is some good alcohol and there's your show.

• Love 1

I've watched Scandal since the first episode. Tonight was the first time I literally changed the channel. I think that speaks volumes for the state of this show. I think it is officially beyond salvagability for me.

I love how a show based on a black woman, created by a black woman and ostensibly starring a black woman, does nothing but denigrate the black woman and have her serve as a prop for the white characters. Shonda needs to reevaluate what her agenda is with this show.

I stopped watching two episodes before the winter finale this season (like Olivia let her dumb daddy go?) that was it. 

I couldn't handle the rage anymore. 

If this could get back to season 1 amazingness. i'll be back.

• Love 1

I re-watched the Mellie/Olivia stuff multiple times.  I loved every minute of them getting real with each other, especially over some of Mellie's family's really good hooch.  

Agreed.  I thought that Kerri and Bellamy were terrific in those scenes, especially when their characters really got down and honest with each other.  The two actresses definitely get it done together onscreen.

I'm quoting this from the prior episode's thread because it says it all.  WTF did I just watch?  David Rosen fake-wooing Susan . . . I can't even.  David Rosen on his hands and knees on command; Olivia allowing Jake back in her bed after he MURDERED an innocent man to get the job as head of the NSA on the orders of her father who MURDERED the president's son -- I just don't know how we are supposed to watch all this and identify with ANYONE.

Maybe Shonda is running a betting contest on which show has the most loathsome set of characters, Scandal or How to Get Away with Murder.  The latter has held the title belt since it started but Scandal seems to mounting a serious challenge.  Maybe the shows will have a cage match or a Thunderdome (two shows enter, one show leaves).  My money is on Scandal.  Huck, Quinn or Jake could take out all of those twerps on How to Get Away with a pen and a ball of string.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 3

Why would Liz want Susan to run? Does she think she can control her? She couldn't even get Susan to run without David. Susan is a nice lady and an idealist but she is not a leader, she needs too much reassurance and has no self confidence. She would be a disaster as Prez, even worse than Fitz. Speaking of that putz I'm glad they finally darkened his hair again, he was looking old enough to be Liv's grandpa. Hope that reporter gives him the pimp hand he really deserves.
I enjoyed the Mellie/Liv scenes, long overdue honesty.
I'm glad Cyrus finally took his balls out of Fitz' pocket, Fitz was not ever going to use them and Cyrus needed to get a clue on that. Better late that not at all.
Despite al the plot holes and retcon, I enjoyed it.
Good on Jake for finally treating Liv the way they both think she deserves. He might as well have tossed some money on the dresser. LOL

ETA Really enjoyed the lack od DaddyPope.

Edited by thewhiteowl
  • Love 2

This might be a minority opinion, but Mellie is an idiot. Worse, an arrogant idiot. Susan needs some self confidence, but she's at her core intelligent and self-made. A single mom, she was a college professor and state senator before she met Olivia Pope. People trust her.

Now to Mellie. She's obviously well educated, but has tried to backdoor her way to everything. Married the scion of a rich political family. Was the wife of a Governor and President, and won her senate seat on name recognition alone. And along the way she made terrible decisions:

Thought the Fitz-Liv affair was a phase. Wrong.

Started an affair with Andrew. Bad.

Accepted donations from a posing PoppaPope and tried to cover it up when people died. Tragic.

Trusted Lizzy Bear after they bonded over getting screwed over by the same guy. Backfired.

She's repeating the last one with Liv. And can you think of a better way to separate herself from the cheating scandal than having her campaign managed by her ex-husband's lover. Yeah, that will kill the story.

And Liv missed her last shot at getting her white hat back by picking Mellie over Susan, who she already helped mold.

Edited by Scootman
  • Love 2

Maybe Shonda is running a betting contest on which show has the most loathsome set of characters, Scandal or How to Get Away with Murder.  The latter has held the title belt since it started but Scandal seems to mounting a serious challenge.  Maybe the shows will have a cage match or a Thunderdome (two shows enter, one show leaves).  My money is on Scandal.  Huck, Quinn or Jake could take out all of those twerps on How to Get Away with a pen and a ball of string.

You are right! Everyone in Scandal is a murderer. Some are multiples. They have all gotten away with murder and they didn't have Annalise K. in their life. Scandal is the real HTGAWM!

• Love 5

This might be a minority opinion, but Mellie is an idiot. Worse, an arrogant idiot.

Well then it is a minority of two, because I feel the same way about her.

I get that Mellie is Shonda Rhimes' stand-in for Hillary Clinton, and that is fine. I don't think Shonda Rhimes should ever have to subvert her politics, not for any of her shows, least of all the one set in DC.

But if she is going to do this, would it kill her to at least make her fictional character worthy of being a stand-in for the real deal? Other than being a First Lady to a philandering President, Mellie has nothing in common with Hillary Clinton, and isn't fit to wear Hillary's pantsuit. And I say that not even being that big of a Hillary fan.

I am guessing we are going to see Mellie ride her filibuster all the way to the Oval Office. Though I find it funny that in the real life situation that is based on, no such ride to higher office occurred. On the contrary, not only did Wendy Davis lose her bid for Governor, the bill she filibustered eventually passed. Sadly, Mellie being elected President based on the fact that she managed not to mess herself on the Senate floor would not be the most unrealistic thing to happen on this show, politically speaking.

• Love 2

Oh, David. Why are you participating in such sleaziness? You know Susan's heart is going to be broken when she inevitably finds out that you're screwing her chief of staff while dating her.

Mellie and Olivia drinking and talking was everything. I love how they both essentially said that Fitz is too intolerable to deal with full-time. I love that they're no longer being dragged down by his ass. They are so much more watchable away from him.

So of course the show brings in Annabeth Gish, an actress I'm hugely fond of, as Fitz's new love interest for him to drag down - sigh. Couldn't they have cast some actress I don't like?

I gave big eyerolls to Liz and Cyrus. Their complaining (about Fitz being a lame duck who's going to act like a lame duck, about not wanting to top out at VP) is exactly why I said at the time for each of them that they'd been stupid to drop Mellie for Fitz. Now Liz has to try to make a go with it of Susan Ross - and much as I love her, she will not win - while Cyrus has to start all over again with someone he doesn't know.

If I'm supposed to feel sorry for Huck...I do not. At least his airtime has been minimal thus far and he hasn't tortured or killed anyone lately.

• Love 3
The worst part for me, though, was that reporter practically squeeing like a fan girl, and admitting to a crush on what's his name. Fitz.

When I heard Annabeth Gish had been cast in a recurring role on this show, I was wary. And it sounds like I was right to be.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1
I gave big eyerolls to Liz and Cyrus. Their complaining (about Fitz being a lame duck who's going to act like a lame duck, about not wanting to top out at VP) is exactly why I said at the time for each of them that they'd been stupid to drop Mellie for Fitz. Now Liz has to try to make a go with it of Susan Ross - and much as I love her, she will not win - while Cyrus has to start all over again with someone he doesn't know.

I thought Cyrus staring at Fitz while he slept was extra creepy.  And I guess Fitz doesn't really care at this point, but was he even curious as to why Cyrus woke him in the middle of the night for such a non-event?  I'd at least be kind of pissed at Cy over that.         

• Love 1

This might be a minority opinion, but Mellie is an idiot. Worse, an arrogant idiot. Susan needs some self confidence, but she's at her core intelligent and self-made. A single mom, she was a college professor and state senator before she met Olivia Pope. People trust her.

Now to Mellie. She's obviously well educated, but has tried to backdoor her way to everything. Married the scion of a rich political family. Was the wife of a Governor and President, and won her senate seat on name recognition alone. And along the way she made terrible decisions:

Thought the Fitz-Liv affair was a phase. Wrong.

Started an affair with Andrew. Bad.

Accepted donations from a posing PoppaPope and tried to cover it up when people died. Tragic.

Trusted Lizzy Bear after they bonded over getting screwed over by the same guy. Backfired.

She's repeating the last one with Liv. And can you think of a better way to separate herself from the cheating scandal than having her campaign managed by her ex-husband's lover. Yeah, that will kill the story.

And Liv missed her last shot at getting her white hat back by picking Mellie over Susan, who she already helped mold.

I'm with you on this. I think Mellie is the person least deserving of anything. She, maybe even more than Fitz is the walking embodiment of entitlement-- at least Putz was steered into his life by people who recognized his weakness and malleability, His Father, Cyrus, Mellie, Olvia, etc. Mellie on the other hand thinks she should get her way of she stomps her feet and has a temper tantrum. IMO, Mellie is one of the worse characters on the show. If I had the option, I would take Susan over Mellie anyday. Even if you believe Susan is too week to be a leader, as Rowan and company (B-613, Cyrus, Mellie, Olivia, etc.) have repeatedly shown, the president is little more than a figurehead. Even if you have an ineffectual leader as president, the real rulers of the nation remain firmly in place. Hell with Susan, something positive might actually happen for the people and the country. Mellie is a horror and I shudder to think what she will do -- remember Mellie is the one who repeatedly goaded Putz into starting a war against an African country to win political points. She cared neither for the American Miltiary nor the African, both military and civilian, whose lives would be lost, only that it helped Fitz's Q-Rating with the public -- Southern Republican Much there Mellie.

Edited by Happytobehere

It's almost like this show is...actively devolving into garbage. It's well crafted garbage but my god is it ever garbage.

What has happened to your lead character, Scandal? Does she have an internal life? Or is she simply a pretty puppet moving from stupid plot to stupid plot? WHY is she sleeping with Jake? We've already gone through the "Olivia has no self worth, sleeps with randoms". And her dark self-hating period. And screwing Jake knowing she loves Fitz. Now she's just swimming with monsters, dining with monsters, fucking monsters. Who the hell is she anymore?

Finally got around to watching this last night....that's got to speak for something right there.  Me and my 15yo daughter watch this, I dozed off for about 5 minutes (I tend to do that while watching TV, LOL).  USUALLY, when I do that, my daughter yells, "MOM", or hits pause and wakes me up.  When I came to last night, I looked at her and said "why didn't you wake me up".  She said, "no need, go back to sleep"   out of the mouths of babes....

I knew I knew that new candidate guy....Carlos.  :)  that's all I got.  

• Love 2

The only thing I liked about this episode was Olivia's red stripped top.

I cannot even be excited about the wardrobe anymore. Liv exclusively wears red and/or black now, to show she is no longer the "good guy".  No more white hat for her.

If this could get back to season 1 amazingness. i'll be back.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

I cannot even be excited about the wardrobe anymore. Liv exclusively wears red and/or black now, to show she is no longer the "good guy".  No more white hat for her.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

well obviously. I like my life. 

i have been noticing in the trailers that Olivia has been wearing colour. now I'm thinking when specifically that this started. nice call on no more white hat/no more white. 

If i were in this universe, i'd vote for Susan. 

Bless this post. 

Just getting around to watching this episode. And yet again I'm so very confused on why people love Cyrus, like he hasn't been a murderer since the first season, hasn't had a callous disregard for life since the first season, and somehow is propped up on here as someone to root for. I've been entertained by Cyrus since the beginning, I get Liv's friendship with him in the past, she's been blissfully unaware of exactly how much of an evil man he is through and through in large part. But I've never gotten him being a fan favorite and not in a love to hate way.

I like the idea of Carlos from DH playing a new candidate, seems like the new race has potential to breathe much needed life into this directionless show, but to have this good candidate be saddled with Cyrus? That's nothing to get excited about. It makes me fear for any relative he has that might drag down his profile that Cy will happily call his trusty hitman that he has on retainer to take care of the problem.

I didn't know it was possible for my opinion of David or Liz to drop as low as it did after their manipulation of Susan. Especially disappointed in David and will remember this the next time he tries to pretend he's so much better than everyone at Pope & Associates.

I can't speak for anyone else but I like Cyrus because he is no hypocrite. He knows he's a monster. He may try to hide it from others but he isn't lying to himself about being a good person like so many other characters on this show. JMO