Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Crudités-gate is magnificent!! remember when news shows were filled with scandals like this rather than, you know, the possible end of western democracy. simpler times 🥴

I'm just disappointed he didn't make it rhyme with luddite. Also feel sorry for teh dinner guests who are gonna have to eat, um, raw broccoli and raw asparagus?

today 12 male guests and 5 female guests! --> it's still terrible, but okay, I'll stop, it's getting tedious. 

I just watched the fourth hour and Linette Lopez came on and answered questions with so much bluntness and Silicon! Shade! that Joe & Mika didn't know how to respond. it was awesome. I wish more guests were like that.

not to go off topic, but High-lemann is in for Nicolle and he's very, very good at it. 

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, neona2 said:

Crudités-gate is magnificent!! remember when news shows were filled with scandals like this rather than, you know, the possible end of western democracy. simpler times 🥴

I'm just disappointed he didn't make it rhyme with luddite. Also feel sorry for teh dinner guests who are gonna have to eat, um, raw broccoli and raw asparagus?

today 12 male guests and 5 female guests! --> it's still terrible, but okay, I'll stop, it's getting tedious. 

I just watched the fourth hour and Linette Lopez came on and answered questions with so much bluntness and Silicon! Shade! that Joe & Mika didn't know how to respond. it was awesome. I wish more guests were like that.

not to go off topic, but High-lemann is in for Nicolle and he's very, very good at it. 

Worst crudités platter ever. Raw asparagus and pre-packaged guac. Oz didn't even know where he was.

I've had afternoon meetings all week so I haven't been able to watch much of Heilemann but he does seem to be doing a great job in the afternoons.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

omg Joe is in STUDIO!!!!!!!!! in DC Rivendell!!!! It's a miracle! Or possibly End Times!

since he's at the table I'm gonna call this version of him Spezzato-Joe due to the ongoing hilarious pants situation 😎 

Our Khaleesi Katty also present, her actual human self. And Michael Steele! Mika AWOL but it doesn't matter, this is awesome

ETA: also present, David Ignatius. Lemire and George Conway in DC, Willie in the Basilica of the Annunciation. too many men but at least Katty is here - gravitas-wise it looks like a cabinet meeting of Queen Elizabeth I & her court jesters, ymmv

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2

This is what the show should be!!!! Intelligent thoughtful interaction. No interruptions listening to each other. They are not just trying to say cute little things but are making important thoughts. Soooo good. 

• Love 5

When the show features Joe sitting around a table with the guests it is an entirely different show. His bombast is still there; but you can see the regulars reacting -which makes a big difference. It makes for a great morning discussion show that can outshine almost any other news/discussion program in that time slot. The Florida broadcast is a huge step down.

• Applause 2
  • Love 4

OH MY GOD, YIKES

image.png.ed6034e813f62f75b62776644e0fa11a.png

they also did an entire abortion segment with *this* panel....ahahaha I can't even.... 

Joe was really great in DC w his group around the table though. Idk why they always have a thousand other people in a thousand other places when one of the hosts is actually present and there's a great flow at the main table, so unnecessary

poor Katty looks like Angela Merkel at a G8 meeting #thisiswhoweare

ETA: i am in favor of Donny's glasses. he just needs to get a beret and a cigarette so he can seduce teh hamptons housewives by channeling Jean-Paul Sartre #teamDonny

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

oh man, I didn't mean it like that! Just for me just having Joe at the actual table makes such a huge difference it matters less that it wasn't the full team. but ymmv of course, heh 😜

12 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I've had afternoon meetings all week so I haven't been able to watch much of Heilemann but he does seem to be doing a great job in the afternoons.

i always DVR Nicolle the days I'm at work & watch in the evening if I have time. Hands down the best show on MSNBC right now, she sometimes even has live human guests at the table - her best live guest is actually High-lemann. I always think that if Joe and Mika ever retire or defect to CNN it's gotta be High-lemann & Nicolle, they have the right energy

• Love 2
10 hours ago, neona2 said:

I always think that if Joe and Mika ever retire or defect to CNN it's gotta be High-lemann & Nicolle, they have the right energy

I'd be good with that. Or just give Heilemann his own gig anyway. I am not loving Alex Wagner and I'm still flummoxed how Stephanie Ruhle got the 11pm slot (I realize I'm in the minority on this).

• Like 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I'd be good with that. Or just give Heilemann his own gig anyway. I am not loving Alex Wagner and I'm still flummoxed how Stephanie Ruhle got the 11pm slot (I realize I'm in the minority on this).

You are not the only one who can’t abide Stephanie R at 11:00. But I do like Alex Wagner; she has big shoes to fill and it may take a bit for her to find her groove.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Haven't had a chance to check out Alex Wagner yet. am rooting for her tho because man oh man imagine the pressure 

ymmv and all, but I adore Steph --> her energy is EVERYTHING. Remember when she jumped on Willie during the NYC marathon, her entire being is just light and activity and presence and exactly the right amount of crazy

anyhoo ---> back to MJ. I just watched yesterday's fourth hour, the Danny Strong segment was actually really interesting. idk for me he'll always be Mr Geller!! but I love when hollywood people actually take activism seriously in a sort of tangible way beyond dumb platitudes

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I'm catching up a bit on this week's shows and I gotta ask a question ---> do you guys sometimes get ads *for* Morning Joe *during* Morning Joe? and if so, whyyyy? idk exactly how it works but I think on cable we all basically see the same ads at the same time, though I'm not sure?

I mean if these ads are meant to make people watch Morning Joe they are just genuinely terrible. They feature Joe, Mika and Willie, in boxes, asking the blandest most banal questions in the history of journalism, such as "what does this mean?" "where do we go from here?" and "what's today's lunch order?" making an actually intelligent show sound moronic. So many hilarious and interesting moments in this show's run to choose from, and yet

My favorite MSNBC ad is the one where a Ukrainian girl asks Ali Velshi if she can give him a hug. I cry like a baby every time. 

ETA: oh i found the clip! here!!! Ali Velshi is forever the most gorgeously compassionate human being on the planet, no contest. also MSNBC ad people, this is how you do iiiiit

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

I tuned to see a pundit (no idea who it was) analyzing the divide in the country. All I could think of is how exhausted I am by Pundits.  You know what, Mr. Pundit? You and your brethren are part of the problem. Given a stage to pontificate with no pushback, no real discussion. Oddly, it is times like this when I miss Joe. Since He Was In Congress during a tumultuous time it would have actually been interesting to hear his take.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I tuned to see a pundit (no idea who it was) analyzing the divide in the country. All I could think of is how exhausted I am by Pundits.  You know what, Mr. Pundit? You and your brethren are part of the problem. Given a stage to pontificate with no pushback, no real discussion. Oddly, it is times like this when I miss Joe. Since He Was In Congress during a tumultuous time it would have actually been interesting to hear his take.

I watched Matt Lewis promoting his article. Which seemed to be based on a poll question from 1960 and a random eight year old FB post. I think there's merit in asking How We Got Here - and Katty even tried to play along - but I was happy when Willie stepped in to shut down the idea that there's a sameness to the political divides in this country from Viet Nam through 9/11 and what we're seeing now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Oddly, it is times like this when I miss Joe. Since He Was In Congress during a tumultuous time it would have actually been interesting to hear his take.

For me, it was Charlie Rosen musing about the concept of "intent."  And then the "latest poll."  No pushback, no counterpoint.   I wish this current situation would die down so I can go back to not watching.

Edited by millennium
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I watched Matt Lewis promoting his article.

No matter what news show I watch on CNN or MSNBC anymore, there's always somebody pimping a book, article, documentary, etc.   It starts to feel like an infomercial.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

Ok but re: books I *do* wanna read Ali Vitali's book ---> I can't believe it took like 6 years for someone to actually put in writing that "electability" is just some fucked up unsubstantiated euphemism for normalized misogyny 🥴 

*primal scream*

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I have never enjoyed a week of Morning Joe more.  A respite.

I came to see if anyone else joined me in hoping Joe and Mika would find their badges deactivated, but I guess not.

Well done, Willie.  Good work, Katty, Mike, Claire.

Oh, and I agree that Heilemann did a stellar job filling in for Nicole.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, candall said:

Oh, and I agree that Heilemann did a stellar job filling in for Nicole.

I second that. All that news happened during his two week stint, and he took it in stride with lots of humor. It was almost a letdown when Nicolle came back on Monday, and I like Nicolle.

Back to MJ, why are Joe and Mika - aka husband and wife - never in the same studio anymore? Actually, when was the last time they were all in the same location???

• Applause 2
2 hours ago, candall said:

I have never enjoyed a week of Morning Joe more.  A respite.

Without Scarborough, I find the show barely tolerable.   When I used to watch regularly, nothing was more irritating than his and Mika's odd/even days schedule.  I can't think of another show that found it necessary to routinely announce that the host(s) had "the morning off."   I'm not sure they even bother saying it anymore because by now viewers must know there's a less than 50% chance that Morning Joe will feature Joe on any given morning.

Personally I can't stand Willie Geist, I don't get the appeal of the ever-morphing Katty Kay, Barnicle ... in all of history has no one been more aptly named.  Elise Jordan is a big bowl of meh.  Does Donnie Deutsch come on the show anymore?  I haven't seen him in ages (although I don't watch often).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I thought it was just me who doesn’t care for Elise Jordan. And like it or not, without Joe for a period of time the show can fall flat. I cannot believe I typed that.  He can sometimes get the juices flowing and get me ready to face the day. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good lord. I put on the tv at 610 to basically to see what Mika is wearing and if they bothered to show up and who else was on. Joe is freakin screaming. I don’t need this at this time of day. Turned it off at 612. I’ll be early for work today. Thanks you screaming lunatic. Can’t you make a point in a more proper way?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5
On 8/26/2022 at 2:57 PM, millennium said:

Without Scarborough, I find the show barely tolerable.   When I used to watch regularly, nothing was more irritating than his and Mika's odd/even days schedule.  I can't think of another show that found it necessary to routinely announce that the host(s) had "the morning off."   I'm not sure they even bother saying it anymore because by now viewers must know there's a less than 50% chance that Morning Joe will feature Joe on any given morning.

Personally I can't stand Willie Geist, I don't get the appeal of the ever-morphing Katty Kay, Barnicle ... in all of history has no one been more aptly named.  Elise Jordan is a big bowl of meh.  Does Donnie Deutsch come on the show anymore?  I haven't seen him in ages (although I don't watch often).

Good to see you posting here again. You are very witty.

I turned on Morning Joe for the first time since the spring.

Mika & Joe have new hairstyles.

Mika is wearing a black bathrobe.

Trump took documents from the White House. Mika is very excited today!

Joe has a new tie.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I tuned in around 7:30 - so I would not be mad if they repeated interviews from the 6:00 hour. Meeka was wearing one of her “look at me I have gravitas” tops…the funereal, baggy black sweater from her late mother. No attention-getting scarf!  But I digress. She was shrill and shrieky; distracting and a remote grabber for me. 

The discussion and graphics on the cost of college tuition was excellent.  But I am sick of the constant Trump discourse. John Meecham …. I don’t care if you are good friends with Biden; so we are clear on that before you drone on. Give him a show with Elise - they will flat-talk people into a nap. So back to CNN and then Bargain Block on HGTV.

• Love 4

I was so excited when i saw Joe and Mika were back!!

but then i had to turn it off when the yelling started bc it's just too much for me on Monday mornings 

image.png.ea1a8df716e2224f2deda6ea77fe8d01.png

man oh man i hope the whole week won't be this exhausting and depressing. why do they always do this on mondays? 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3

Their Miss Lindsey snark always misses the mark.  Yes, that was meant to rhyme.

They're not funny on TV.  Probably wildly charming at a cocktail party, but not seriously funny.  Let him strangle himself on his own hypocrisy.  Give him the rope, and dryly observe.  C'mon, you two have been doing this for 20 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

They're not funny on TV.  Probably wildly charming at a cocktail party, but not seriously funny.  Let him strangle himself on his own hypocrisy.  Give him the rope, and dryly observe.  C'mon, you two have been doing this for 20 years.

They used to have more fun when they weren't married.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

You know, on a serious note, this is actually a really interesting point....agggh.

I kinda agree a little ---> for me, there is something really uncomfortable about trolling someone for being closeted, which, okay, if it leads to making hypocritical decisions about other people's rights, like with Lindsey Graham, definitely should be called out.

But also at the same time coming out, etc, is something a lot of people struggle with, and I feel like linking being closeted gay to also being a fascist is.... maybe not so nice?

Ideally, the focus should be on the being a fascist part 🥴

*small voice* I also feel the same about trolling Josh Hawley about not being masculine and manly with bird hands etc... and then linking *that* to him being a lunatic with autocratic tendencies. Not the same, and I think so many people are struggling with how to navigate coming out etc, they don't need those connotations out there or for the lines to be blurred

• Like 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Good to see you posting here again. You are very witty.

Right back at you, Oakville!

11 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Did they actually use that term?  "Miss Lindsey" somehow manages to be both misogynistic and homophobic.

I saw the segment.   They didn't say that.   They wouldn't dare, even if they thought it, for the reasons you mentioned.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

Right back at you, Oakville!

I saw the segment.   They didn't say that.   They wouldn't dare, even if they thought it, for the reasons you mentioned.

It's very often implied tho. same with the Hawley stuff. 

i feel conflicted because weirdly I actually think both Joe and Mika *are* really funny, when they are both sorta good-humored and relaxed and tongue-in-cheek and not super-tense and stressed like today

• Like 1
  • Love 2

it's weird but today is one of those days where I've been literally taking unscheduled breaks etc just to check up on the news and check up on this NASA mission.... 🥰

...to the point that I don't even care how it's turned out, just this excitement and elation that it's happening as a point of pride for all creative and hopeful and intelligent men and women, all over the world....🌈😎

the whole thing is *goosebumps* and exactly what is needed after a shitty summer

edited a little bc I'm way too overwhelmed and excited and trying to stay cool lmao

ETA: NASA not NATO omg....hahahahaha

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1

Panel on Serena Williams and what a trail blazer she was in women's sports

image.png.cb23ff31bd93cab850dde028bcd73e63.png

yup. *women's sports*.

w panel consisting of 75% men 25% woman who says sports is confusing and not important soooo.... idk. All I'm saying is Serena etc deserves at least someone seriously championing her and all the coming generations of girls she's inspired and the amount of work she's had to do to make that a reality....

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3

Mika is solo hosting today - she seems stressed and audio-wise there is a lot of weird background noise? She's interviewing Mike Memoli

ETA: no wait, Joe is actually here

Edited by neona2
  • Wink 1

The two book discussions today were enjoyable. Other than that I have nothing of substance to say about the show this morning; so I will lap from my saucer of cream.  

Meeka must read this board and digest the comments. Today she tossed aside the baggy sweater and appeared in a snug black v-neck tee. Yowza. Things were poppin’ fresh.*  She looked fabulous, but keeps on being the most unprofessionally dressed woman on a “news” show.

*Thanks to the Y&R board for the “popping fresh” reference

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well she's not allowed to be there much today, basically relegated to saying "Mmm-hmmm" in the background ----> why can't they at least go back to the Temple of Jupiter studio where she's allowed to co-host instead of this relegated to the background shit gaaaaah

Edited by neona2
  • LOL 1

High-lemann's jacket is so terrible I actually freakin love it. I respect all humans who make weird and interesting choices

i understand the need to talk about Former Guy but I'll never understand why we have to look at a gazillion photos of him on a goddamn loop. I viscerally flinch and look away from the screen, which i really really don't think is the intended effect

image.png.2025e055b509d551b586533bc83e6e59.png

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Mika just asked Joe a question and she's not even allowed to stay on screen to hear his answer. it started as a conversation and now it's just him, rambling in fullscreen 🥴

Edited by neona2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

High-lemann's jacket is so terrible I actually freakin love it. I respect all humans who make weird and interesting choices

i understand the need to talk about Former Guy but I'll never understand why we have to look at a gazillion photos of him on a goddamn loop. I viscerally flinch and look away from the screen, which i really really don't think is the intended effect

image.png.2025e055b509d551b586533bc83e6e59.png

I didn't see his jacket. I'll look for a picture when today's transcript is up. 

It's not just MJ, it's all of the MSNBC shows that always show pictures of the former occupant of the WH. I also flinch and look away from the screen. Thank goodness for the mute button when we get clips with audio!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I wonder...
1) does the use of multiple "boxes", as many as 10 at one time, really help get the point across?  Or is it, as they used to say, "Just showin' off")
2) would there be revenue potential to have a segment of the show during which opposing view points are presented and discussed....without anger, shouting, bullying?
3) does the "crawl" (the bottom of the screen text) help or hinder what Joe and Mika are trying to get across?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, grommit2 said:

I wonder...
1) does the use of multiple "boxes", as many as 10 at one time, really help get the point across?  Or is it, as they used to say, "Just showin' off")
2) would there be revenue potential to have a segment of the show during which opposing view points are presented and discussed....without anger, shouting, bullying?
3) does the "crawl" (the bottom of the screen text) help or hinder what Joe and Mika are trying to get across?

I've always found it to be showing off. None of the other shows on MSNBC do this. Even their biggest personality, Rachel Maddow, only has one guest on at a time!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2