Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Starting out with the positive. Meeka looks more mature than I have ever seen her -  but she also looks fabulous! I don’t know if it is the hairstyle/color…maybe different makeup or lighting…maybe a bit of surgical tweaking …or all of this. But I would love to have what she is having.

Watching a bit today I realize that many guests are knowledgeable, sometimes really interesting, entertaining in a political/wonky way; but have a book or project to sell. Very inbred at times. That might be MJ in a nutshell.

Edited by Kemper
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3

teh odd location shenanigans continue! Joe & Willie still in NYC, Mika now back in Florida. it's odd they wouldn't both stay to cover the Jan 6th hearings? hmmm. Even Rachel is in studio these days, honestly the evening coverage has been so goooood.

The visual of not having a single woman around the table will never stop being weird to me. it's like the whole of MJ is a visual anachronism, someone should be handing out cigars. the discussion is pretty good, though, but man oh man 🥴

at least our Khaleesi Katty is here remotely!!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, neona2 said:

teh odd location shenanigans continue!

And it's really distracting to geo-locate the cast on any given day. And the boxes are reminding me of Press Your Luck lately. You keep hoping for No Whammy but it ends  up on Joe anyway.

• Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Joe is in NYC today. Mika is AWOL, Willie is at home in the Basilica of the Annunciation

---->oh well, it's not like anything important is happening right now or anything 🥴

Jackie A was on! she's been on a lot lately, i like her

for those tired of MJ i cannot recommend enough pulling up your DVR of the Jan 6th evening special from last night with Joy, Rachel & Nicolle (& Lawrence! & Chris!). Steph was even there! most badassery in one room since Jefferson dined alone etc etc!!

Just five smart politicos sitting together at a physical table having a spontaneous conversation ----> hey, someone should turn that premise into a tee-vee show 😎 

I literally watched back aaaaall teh MSNBC coverage last night starting with my girls Katy, Andrea & Hallie onwards. I almost feel emotional about how good they all are at their jobs right now. 

okay I've been snarking a little on MJ but in fairness to Joe, he is actually doing pretty well by his lonesome self. Annette Gordon-Reed was on and he was great w/ her, he is actually good with actual humans when he's not being an ass

Edited by neona2
  • Love 4
(edited)

oh god, the show is kinda is a snooze-fest today though

no laughter, no nothing

it's like when they announced the election. it's weird bc for me it's the opposite, I find these moments of democracy kinda life-affirming and energizing but on MJ they all react to it by going morose

Edited by neona2
  • Love 1

also another thing is, these major news! events! is when they have *the* opportunity convince new viewers to stick around on normal days and increase their daily ratings, but on MJ instead of bringing their A-game when they have a gazillion eyeballs on them, they all go on vacation and put on the worst most boring morning shows ever

- it's nuts, because these shows, in this moment in time, are huge-ass opportunities for recruiting new daily viewers. I don't just mean like in terms of high ratings in the moment, but in terms of recruiting actual long-term viewers 

nuts, just nuts, for me i just can't

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, neona2 said:

Joe is in NYC today. Mika is AWOL, Willie is at home in the Basilica of the Annunciation

---->oh well, it's not like anything important is happening right now or anything 🥴

Jackie A was on! she's been on a lot lately, i like her

for those tired of MJ i cannot recommend enough pulling up your DVR of the Jan 6th evening special from last night with Joy, Rachel & Nicolle (& Lawrence! & Chris!). Steph was even there! most badassery in one room since Jefferson dined alone etc etc!!

Just five smart politicos sitting together at a physical table having a spontaneous conversation ----> hey, someone should turn that premise into a tee-vee show 😎 

I literally watched back aaaaall teh MSNBC coverage last night starting with my girls Katy, Andrea & Hallie onwards. I almost feel emotional about how good they all are at their jobs right now. 

okay I've been snarking a little on MJ but in fairness to Joe, he is actually doing pretty well by his lonesome self. Annette Gordon-Reed was on and he was great w/ her, he is actually good with actual humans when he's not being an ass

Jackie's cupcake cookie jar has become just as beloved as Claire McCaskill's cake tin. Jackie even opened up the cookie jar once when Stephanie Ruhle asked to see what was inside.

The "post game" coverage with MSNBC's primetime hosts has indeed been excellent, and we'll see them after every hearing. The coverage in general has been excellent.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was gonna do a location! shenanigans! update! for you all

But this show has finally made my lil art girl brain short circuit 🥴 and I don't have a fucking clue

Joe and Mika are present (ish?), and it kinda looks like Florida but I don't think it is. They are back in their anti-social covid boxes. But despite that travesty, also, inexplicably, they are very very beautifully lit. It's a paradox!!! Content and interaction-wise, it's boring, but visually speaking, it looks professional and not terrible. But again, zero clue where they actually are.

Jonathan Lemire is in NYC like teh visual personification of a Matrix red pill, at least we have one point of reference for where Reality is Centered.

Ali Vitali & Mike Schmidt have the absolute best most speakeasy bar names for tee-vee journalists in the history of tee-vee journalism. Ali's even rhymes! and also they both live up to the implied badassery of those names every single day.

also rooting so hard for Daniela who is awesome and also mentioned Isabel Allende!! 

This week in This Show is Your Loveable Crazy Uncle ---> Joe read out an article by Caitlin Flanagan about Sheryl Sanders and Corporate! Feminism! then he immediately physically brushed aside Mika, like he always does when they are in teh dumbass boxes, and went straight to a split-screen with Jonathan Lemire. Joe and Lemire then had a conversation about how it's very important for women to Have Babies. Or something ---> it was a very confusing conversation and it was also very confusing that it was these two dudes having it. Again, really, it was an article with the word feminism in it. 🥴

a really really great guest for this segment woulda been the actual Caitlin Flanigan, who is an incredibly interesting human and an actual queen

luckily they remembered to invite some actual women for their Roe segment, rather than only Rattner and Haas like last time 🥴

Edited by neona2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I was hoping for more coverage of the Texas GOP, but I appreciated the appearance of Hobson. And hearing that Joe can't handle his liquor.

for some reason I feel like Joe would be one of those humans who is exactly the same both drunk! and sober! by which I mean, at all levels of intoxication, he's the drunk at the end of the bar who's sometimes incredibly full of shit but also sometimes unexpectedly profound. 

meanwhile, while I still don't understand why these hearings are on during working hours, I hope that someday there'll be a book about 20 million humans and our shenanigans watching in bathrooms and on trains and in transit etc etc because 300 gov people did not feel like working overtime to put this on at a sensible hour 🥴

Mika's dog is freakin huge! Is this a real dog-breed, idk anything about dogs.

Back to the hearings - for me, the one thing that’s most powerful is the actual human details

The ginger mints! The pointless attacking of beautiful community-minded badass volunteer moms, like wtf

It’s almost a bit like what they always say about Obergefell -- it. was. the. details. The human shit we all have in common, practical details about wills, shared cats, shared meals, holding your loved one’s hand when they die. The actual human faces. The actual human challenges. 

If there’s one hope in these hearings, then it’s focus on our shared humanity rather than all the anger and confusion

I am so scared and pessimistic, but also on days like today I think 

Fuck it. Humanity always wins.

Edited by neona2
  • Love 1

I'm glad Jason Johnson said what he said this morning. I'm sorry his words & anger were promptly ignored and he was seemingly removed bc he pissed off Joe.

If Ron Johnson watched RHOC he'd know that fake phone call trick doesnt work.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I'm glad Jason Johnson said what he said this morning. I'm sorry his words & anger were promptly ignored and he was seemingly removed bc he pissed off Joe.

What did he say?  What made Joe angry?

Edited by Lowcountry snark
  • Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

What did he say?  What made Joe angry?

The show opened with Joe allowing various guests to agree with his take that Rusty Bowers' testimony was quite admirable. Jackson was not having it - he said Moss & Freeman were the voices that mattered; Bowers had four years of supporting Trump and knew exactly what he was getting (I am paraphrasing here). Joe did not pursue this take at all and Jackson was gone after the break.

At the start of the segment Joe had listed himself & Mika as previous targets. Later they had Barnacle come on to talk about the differences in ideology and character - Bowers has bad ideology but great character. Maybe I'm sensitive to the POV that at least everyone's doing the right thing now and Joe didnt actually act upset (and he praised Moss) - but the whole thing just seemed like Joe putting his hands over his ears, then bringing in reinforcements to further state his point.

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 3

Joe is only comfortable with his "yes men/women" regulars. He would never pout or challenge someone like Bob Woodward; or someone who is part of the cozy DC inbred-ness when it comes to newsmakers/reporters.  Jason Johnson is apparently not a Friend of Joe or Friend of Show.  That is a hallowed circle. I kid!

And Barnicle! Explaining the difference between ideology and character! Talk about lack of self awareness.  Would Barnicle be employable on any other news/information show? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Joe is only comfortable with his "yes men/women" regulars. He would never pout or challenge someone like Bob Woodward; or someone who is part of the cozy DC inbred-ness when it comes to newsmakers/reporters.  Jason Johnson is apparently not a Friend of Joe or Friend of Show.  That is a hallowed circle. I kid!

And Barnicle! Explaining the difference between ideology and character! Talk about lack of self awareness.  Would Barnicle be employable on any other news/information show? 

Did any of you see Jason Johnson on Nicolle's panel yesterday? He was absolutely livid, and I didn't blame him one bit. The difference was that Nicolle let him have his say, as did the rest of the panel (Jackie Alameny, Betsy Woodruff Swan and Miles Taylor). Sad that Joe couldn't have done the same.

Is Katty Kay only on MJ? I've never seen her on any other MSNBC show, which could be due to the time difference (as I believe she Zooms in from the UK).

ETA: Sorry, @jacourt, I missed your post. Exactly - he didn't scream or cuss but his anger was very evident. He handled it well.

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, jacourt said:

Jason was fantastic on Nicolle’s show yesterday. Yes he was angry but he got his point across without screeching. I was very impressed. 

I'm glad someone gave Jason the opportunity to expand on his thoughts. He wasn't rude or overly emotional this morning - he was simply being direct, and was dismissed for it.

2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I know! And FFS, they've expanded this show to four hours. We can't spare three minutes for a disagreement bc we have to talk about Joe's days in congress, the Red Sox and Mika's dad? (Not to mention 120 minutes of repeat content?)

In my head I think Joe believed Jason was alluding to the Scarborough's previous Mar-a-lago-ing. And I'm interested if Joe has a change of opinion after the comments Bowers made today.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chick binewski said:

they've expanded this show to four hours. We can't spare three minutes for a disagreement bc we have to talk about Joe's days in congress, the Red Sox and Mika's dad? (Not to mention 120 minutes of repeat content?)

Big mistake!! Honestly, could they find no one else to fill the 9-10 am slot?

By the way, Joe and Red Sox vs. Ari Melber and hip hop/rap...which is more annoying? I personally would give the edge to Ari but really.... it's a toss-up.

• Love 3
(edited)

After reading here yesterday about Jason Johnson and his passion bucking up against Joe, I tuned in this morning. I guess Joe must have read our comments because he (and the panel) discussed the disconnect between people testifying one way and yet saying they would vote the same way again. So he reads the MJ thread!

Edited by Kemper
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

So turned on the show today to see Mika and Michael Steele talking about guns.  Mika has become worse than Joe.  

She didn’t agree with Steele so she overtalked him and told him to stop so she could make her point (that the gun safety bill would “open the door” to Rs agreeing to further gun legislation). Then, as Michael Steele responded, she leaned all the way forward on the table, which brought her closer to camera and she, quite visibly, rolled her eyes. She then moved on to Claire, who said they were both right. (Still a politician.)

If the program is four hours of Joe and Mika loudly proclaiming their opinions, just stop having guests. They both treat those with differing opinions so disrespectfully that it repels me as a viewer. I switched over to L&O:SVU. 

Edited by may flowers
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

After reading here yesterday about Jason Johnson and his passion bucking up against Joe, I tuned in this morning. I guess Joe must have read our comments because he (and the panel) discussed the disconnect between people testifying one way and yet saying they would vote the same way again. So he reads the MJ thread!

Yes, that was striking to me as well. Better late than never, I guess.

And I heart Michael Steele. Never thought I’d say this, but he is just so wise and hilarious at the same time. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, may flowers said:

So turned on the show today to see Mika and Michael Steele talking about guns.  Mika has become worse than Joe.  

At least Mika sort of engaged with Michael this morning and he was allowed to continue to speak - small improvement? I appreciate that he got a bit more time in today's segment of Folks Don't Get a Participation Trophy For Doing the Bare Minimum. 

1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Yes, that was striking to me as well. Better late than never, I guess.

And I heart Michael Steele. Never thought I’d say this, but he is just so wise and hilarious at the same time. 

He can really have the most charming way of conveying "you have GOT to be kidding me."

Color me shocked! that an NFL team has a toxic work environment.

FYI, Joe lived in Pensacola. Also, I did not have dueling Alfie Solomon impersonations on this week's Morning Joe bingo card.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

I heart Michael Steele. Never thought I’d say this, but he is just so wise and hilarious at the same time. 

So do I! Last year I actually wrote to him and he autographed a photo and wrote a kind note. He's definitely a good egg. 😁

• Love 4

Can we all take a quiet moment to remember and respect the period where Mika wore yellow or blue every day to... something... Ukraine.  That ended this week.

We are humbled by your courage and your strident spirit.  You made all the difference.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Can we all take a quiet moment to remember and respect the period where Mika wore yellow or blue every day to... something... Ukraine.  That ended this week.

We are humbled by your courage and your strident spirit.  You made all the difference.

She is the MSNBC Joan of Arc.

• LOL 6

I really have to ask what the point of adding a fourth hour to this show was.  When it was 3 hours, a good chunk of the third hour was spent repeating segments from the first 2 hours.  They're still doing that, but now they extended that into the fourth hour.  And when they're not doing repeat segments, you have Joe and Mika MIA.  Yesterday, Joe was missing during the entire fourth hour from 9-10 and Mika was missing for about half of that while Willie held down the fort.  If you added up the time these 2 people actually spent in front of the camera I bet it wouldn't even come to 2 hours with all the repeats and them constantly going missing.  What exactly was the point of making this a 4 hour show?  They should at least have someone else take over the fourth hour if it's too exhausting for Joe and Mika to handle. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

I really have to ask what the point of adding a fourth hour to this show was.  When it was 3 hours, a good chunk of the third hour was spent repeating segments from the first 2 hours.  They're still doing that, but now they extended that into the fourth hour.  And when they're not doing repeat segments, you have Joe and Mika MIA.  Yesterday, Joe was missing during the entire fourth hour from 9-10 and Mika was missing for about half of that while Willie held down the fort.  If you added up the time these 2 people actually spent in front of the camera I bet it wouldn't even come to 2 hours with all the repeats and them constantly going missing.  What exactly was the point of making this a 4 hour show?  They should at least have someone else take over the fourth hour if it's too exhausting for Joe and Mika to handle. 

I never understood the reasoning myself. Why do I have the feeling this fourth hour won't last much longer? Surely MSNBC/NBC News must have someone in their ranks who can handle the 9-10 am hour (and the 11 am slot that Craig Melvin vacated), but I digress.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Linda956 said:

I really have to ask what the point of adding a fourth hour to this show was.  When it was 3 hours, a good chunk of the third hour was spent repeating segments from the first 2 hours.  They're still doing that, but now they extended that into the fourth hour.  And when they're not doing repeat segments, you have Joe and Mika MIA.  Yesterday, Joe was missing during the entire fourth hour from 9-10 and Mika was missing for about half of that while Willie held down the fort. 

8 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I never understood the reasoning myself. Why do I have the feeling this fourth hour won't last much longer? Surely MSNBC/NBC News must have someone in their ranks who can handle the 9-10 am hour (and the 11 am slot that Craig Melvin vacated), but I digress.

I find myself counting their appearances on their own show and was actually surprised on Friday that they didn't hand the entire show over to Willie.

I also wonder if the fourth hour will last. But I understand little of what MSNBC is doing. They didn't feel the need to keep Kasie or Brian Williams, they promote Stephanie Ruhle, and they give Maddow a fortune to work less. I guess with that logic maybe giving Joe & Mika a bigger time slot to infrequently film from south Florida bunker makes sense?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Eliot - one of the best, most accurate posts ever on this board.

I tuned as Claire was passionately saying her piece. You could not listen to her and not be moved. Joe is a hypocrite; then again, he so often is. I have only had Show on for about 20 minutes; did Meeka have a  response to Friday’s decision? I heard the sigh.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

I have only had Show on for about 20 minutes; did Meeka have a  response to Friday’s decision? I heard the sigh.

I missed it but they put this on the MJ twitter

It's short, but I like it? coherent and straight for the jugular, didn't sound rehearsed and didn't veer off into rambling. I mean, Fascism pretty much sums it up *tears out hair* *primal scream* 

I'm actually surprised they put this up, usually their twitter feed is just an endless stream of autoplay videos of whatever Joe said that day, without distinction whether it was an actual Great Moment (which he does sometimes have) or an endless Used Car Salesman moment. Willie & Mika & guests are almost never featured? for the guests especially I always feel bad when instead of getting thanked (like Nicolle does!!) they kinda end up having to...promote their own MJ appearance themselves afterwards 🥴

ETA: also Joe has by far the largest twitter following of all of them but hilariously all he ever does is retweet the MJ clips of his own rants... never Mika, never anything the guests said, it's like share the spotlight you pompous ass...that's the whole meaning of being a host 

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2
On 6/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, chick binewski said:

At least Mika sort of engaged with Michael this morning and he was allowed to continue to speak - small improvement? I appreciate that he got a bit more time in today's segment of Folks Don't Get a Participation Trophy For Doing the Bare Minimum. 

He can really have the most charming way of conveying "you have GOT to be kidding me."

tbh I think that Mika/Michael Steele exchange last week was the kind of discussion that would've been much better at the table, where ppl would actually get into those kinds of spontaneous arguments and it would sorta organically go in an interesting direction (or turn into a shouting match, heh)...and other people could just chime in without being called on and without the "you go, no you go, okay time's up, thankyouverymuch".....man I miss the old shows so much...😭

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Eliot said:

Senator Claire is ON FIRE today and I am here for it.

Why does Joe skirt around all his previous anti-abortion statements and positions now?

11 hours ago, Kemper said:

Eliot - one of the best, most accurate posts ever on this board.

I tuned as Claire was passionately saying her piece. You could not listen to her and not be moved. Joe is a hypocrite; then again, he so often is. I have only had Show on for about 20 minutes; did Meeka have a  response to Friday’s decision? I heard the sigh.

Not too get too off-topic, but I get a bit frustrated that Joe keeps up the chant of Baptists Used to Love Abortions. Again, they have four hours. There's time to discuss faith and abortion. I think Mika identified as pro-life for years, but is also (idk if it's recent) pro-legalized abortion. There's more than a few people who hold those beliefs, and as Joe is wont to inform us ad nauseum 'two things can be true at once'. If you're going to continue to bring up your upbringing, then really dive in.  

As @neona2 posted, Mika was pretty passionate this morning. Of course, because she's Mika, I thought she kept calling the five SCOTUS and the Republicans "fat shits". 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, chick binewski said:

As @neona2 posted, Mika was pretty passionate this morning. Of course, because she's Mika, I thought she kept calling the five SCOTUS and the Republicans "fat shits". 

having a really depressing morning and this literally made me laugh so hard, ahahahaha! thank you Chick B we needed that

*cough*welliftheshoefits*cough* 😇

• Love 3
11 hours ago, neona2 said:

having a really depressing morning and this literally made me laugh so hard, ahahahaha! thank you Chick B we needed that

*cough*welliftheshoefits*cough* 😇

I hope the rest of your day went better!

I think Mika went back to the bad colorist.

• Wink 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Primetimer is the lead story on MJ today! No actual mention of the site, however. Or us. I feel ignored.

What? What did I miss?! I need to know. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The sad thing is, this Paris Hilton moment that made the show iconic could never happen on the show as it is now ---> the spontaneity and physicality and hilarity of it all would be literally impossible

i'm watching the Jan 6th Recap show with Rachel and gang from last night and it is *so good*, I wish we could have something like that every morning, but I guess it would be super-expensive, heh

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3

I saw the MJ opening this morning for the first time in weeks; Mika started it off.  In a showy yellow scarf.  It’s back! Some of the first words out of her mouth? When other commentators talked about the courage of the young woman who testified yesterday? She “knew her value” !!!!! 😒

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/24/2022 at 8:18 PM, Lowcountry snark said:

2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I saw the MJ opening this morning for the first time in weeks; Mika started it off.  In a showy yellow scarf.  It’s back! Some of the first words out of her mouth? When other commentators talked about the courage of the young woman who testified yesterday? She “knew her value” !!!!! 😒

Heh. I thought of all of you when I saw today's Return of the Yellow Scarf.

Considering the content they have to work with, I'm very surprised at the mellow tone this morning. I do think Willie's doing a great job today, though. Making some very clear points that got a bit lost in yesterday's chaos and asking some questions that the normally candid Raskin had to refuse to answer.

I was hoping for a little Michael Steele. He was giving good guest yesterday.

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 3

OK, they're stepping up the sass for the fourth hour. Mika citing the Brzezinski-Scarborough days with Trump and snapping "loser, loser". I wish she didn't cut off Joe when he was talking about Republican senators being reprimanded for appearing on MJ.

I also appreciate hearing Funk 49 at 9:49. 

• Love 1
On 6/28/2022 at 3:10 AM, chick binewski said:

Primetimer is the lead story on MJ today! No actual mention of the site, however. Or us. I feel ignored.

What? What did I miss?! I need to know. 

• LOL 1
(edited)

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing. I remember hearing about the Paris story, and the shenanigans were cute. 

I saw some of todays but I must’ve been really tired because sat the beginning Mika is talking about Cassidy Hutchison, and she said “…a young woman showing us the true meaning of…”

And for some reason I thought she was going to say “Christmas” (?!) but she said “…of knowing your value!” What else? Sigh.

Edited by jenkait
My symbol didn’t turn out, am removing it..
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1