Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Kemper said:

I saw the MJ opening this morning for the first time in weeks; Mika started it off.  In a showy yellow scarf.  It’s back! Some of the first words out of her mouth? When other commentators talked about the courage of the young woman who testified yesterday? She “knew her value” !!!!! 😒

She just had to bring up her KYV shit.   I guess she was expecting Ms. Hutchinson to bow down to her and say "Thank you, Mika!  If not for you and KYV, I wouldn't have had the courage to come forward and testify!"

🙄

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I remember the Paris Hilton refusal to read the story.   

But my favorite is the furry convention where someone told Mika what a furry (furrie?) is, and she ran out of the studio.    Part of that story was adorable though, there was a fire, at the convention center, everyone escaped, but it was super cold.   One woman had a tiny baby, and people huddled around the mother and baby, and kept them warm with their costumes.   

• Love 3
(edited)

As a viewer of MJ from the beginning, I do remember the Paris Hilton "moment" being a watershed for the show.  But I have always thought that the entire "walking off in a huff"  was planned.  And it worked.  Got The Twins and the show tons of publicity.  So - kudos. Paris Hilton was easy pickings.  Meeka realized that cute cluelessness about pop culture - be it music, movies, tv, etc. worked really well for her.  (Yes, I know she grew up without a lot of tv or movies)  Kudos to her for using it to advance her career.  On tv.  While wearing tight sheaths and stilettos.  Traded for tight sweaters and scarves.

Edited by Kemper
Grammar
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

laughing my ass off at the uhhhh... Sorkinesque? dialogue this morning at 6 a.m.:

Mika: .... Cassidy Hutchinson spoke despite the fact that so many men were too weak, too pathetic, too shriveled to be able to speak out....

Joe: Well, pathetic, yes...but, um, shriveled?

Willie: It was cold.

Joe: They're not prunes

Mika: They were cowering in a corner.

Willie: It was chilly.

Joe: It was cold.

omg 😂 

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/29/2022 at 1:55 PM, chick binewski said:

Considering the content they have to work with, I'm very surprised at the mellow tone this morning. I do think Willie's doing a great job today, though. Making some very clear points that got a bit lost in yesterday's chaos and asking some questions that the normally candid Raskin had to refuse to answer.

Willie was such a perfect & adorable human yesterday that when one guest came on from Madrid he was like "good morning, and good afternoon to you in Madrid" ----> most of the time Joe & Mika don't even welcome their guests but Willie's gentlemanly-ness spans all time zones!!!

CrazyInAlabama ----> I think their Furry Convention is like the most watched MJ clip on the whole of youtube, something like 5 million. it's kinda funny that they don't seem to understand that those kinds of moments are one of the reasons people loved their show, I mean I'm pretty sure it's not because viewers enjoy getting yelled at 🥴

ETA: sorry for the repost, I messed up a little (my own fault!) hopefully its' ok now

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2
(edited)

*small voice* one thing, though, about today.... I didn't like their dejected defeatist snarky "congratulations...I guess"  comments on Ketanji Brown-Jackson.

Yes, the court is a shitshow right now, but this, right now, is still a historic moment.

When everything is a shitshow.... recognizing Milestones of Hope becomes even *more* important imo. Let's not diminish these moments of light and progress when they are so damn needed

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3
(edited)

No, I think it's just that most of today's show was probably pre-recorded?

they were talking about stuff that happened on Monday, probably they filmed it Mon/Tues at weird times bc of the holidays. It didn't seem like they were there today.

Also Joe & Mika are still in the weird unidentified place & Willie was awol in the Basilica of the Annunciation, so none of the hosts were present, probably they did a holiday pre-recording thingy

didn't catch all of it bc of traveling though. oh man back when we had like maybe 2-3 normal NYC studio shows every 2 weeks or so it made all the location weirdness in between bearable...but now It's been like a whole month without a single old-style MJ show to carry us over, and tbh I miss it so much, politics is a shitshow and I long for everyone's honest opinions that we never get in the boxes gaaaaah. Literally find myself thinking "what would the MJ crowd say about this", even if I've seen the show ---> bc what I actually wanna know is what they *actually* think but no one blurts out anything interesting on zoom like they do in rl

having said that, I snark a lot on Joe, but to be fair I actually thought his comments in the 6 am hour were on point, ymmv

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I was propped in bed this morning with Mr. Kemper’s ancient iPad, discovering Apple News! And tons of stuff about The Kardashians, Real Housewives, NBA trades, LIV golf (and what little bitches pro golfers can be), decorating, plus miracle cleaning products. MJ was on in the background; all I heard was Joe yelling and pontificating. Maybe not tuning in everyday has made my ears more sensitive. 

But seriously. Joe. Has the news gotten to the point where pundits are As Mad As Hell and simply have to vent, interrupt, shout and spew testosterone all over the desk and anyone unfortunate enough to be sitting nearby. Nearby! Like that happens a lot. 🤓

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 2

I remember when I started to back off MJ.

Mika furious at her daughter ordering in pizza. 

Seriously, and nothing to do with money.

Meanwhile Mika was in her sexy stilletto mode.

• Love 3
(edited)

They were brutal to Lemire today! He just had a look on his face like 'dude I work 457 hours a week and that doesn't include covering for your ass so stfu'.

Lordy I'm trying to hold on but what the actual hell is Noah Rothman rambling about? 

ETA: return of blue scarf!

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, chick binewski said:

They were brutal to Lemire today! He just had a look on his face like 'dude I work 457 hours a week and that doesn't include covering for your ass so stfu'.

Lordy I'm trying to hold on but what the actual hell is Noah Rothman rambling about? 

ETA: return of blue scarf!

The ribbing of Lemire was awful - but to be fair, so was Jonathan's hair!  Was he trying to look like Joe?  And OMG was that THE Noah Rothman, whom I despise?  I was wrapping birthday presents in another room.  He, too, changed his look a while ago.  And Mika?  It's freakin' JULY.  I don't care where you're broadcasting from, wear a light-colored sweater, if you are so chilly.  The world is a mess - come at your audience with some bright summer colors!

Oh!  And Joe giving fashion advice when he used to wear his morning oatmeal on his god-awful sweater. 

Okay, I'm finished.  I think.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 2

well, hair-wise Joe and Lemire now look like two dudes who were caught in two different tornadoes, blowing in two separate directions.

I'm here for this only because it makes life more interesting. I am in favor of every visual thing that's weird and irreverent.

also, Lemire's hair has the exact same topographical undulations as the flame in the Statue of Liberty's torch. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm behind, but watching on catch-up, Joe said Boris Johnson's resignation showed that western democracy will definitely triumph?

...and that kind of statement is nuts to me -- because what it actually proves is the opposite -- politics in the UK is *nothing* like politics in the US and getting coddled into a sense of security because UK humans still have some foothold in reality is *not* any assurance of a similar thingy taking place in the US...no no no....the exact opposite is happening and no one should be calm about this, it's the fact that the exact opposite is happening that really should be causing a hella lot more concern *primal scream*

For me generally I actually enjoy hearing about different opinions and perspectives... I haven't read Noah Rothman's book, but I feel like if I did I would actively hate 50% of it and also grudgingly agree with 50%

buuut I very much disagree with him writing a book and going on shows and saying "democrats have lost! all! sense! of! joy!" while at the same time himself being very joyless and not very open to hearing other points of view. 

I thought his perspective was interesting but I wish he would listen more to other people tbh

ETA: edited this a bit bc it was way too cranky. I do enjoy people who have different opinions on this show, it's just I wish they would get more pushback

ETA 2: Mara Gay is an actual queen

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, neona2 said:

A lil behind, but watching on catch-up, Joe said Boris Johnson's resignation showed that western democracy will definitely triumph?

...and that kind of statement is nuts to me -- because what it actually proves is the opposite -- politics in the UK is *nothing* like politics in the US and getting coddled into a sense of security because UK humans still have some foothold in reality is *not* any assurance of a similar thingy taking place in the US...no no no....the exact opposite is happening and no one should be calm about this, it's the fact that the exact opposite is happening that really should be causing a hella lot more concern *primal scream*

For me generally I actually enjoy hearing about different opinions and perspectives... I haven't read Noah Rothman's book, but I feel like if I did I would actively hate 50% of it and also grudgingly agree with 50%

buuut I very much disagree with him writing a book and going on shows and saying "democrats have lost! all! sense! of! joy!" while at the same time never ever ever smiling. 

I found Joe's take especially frustrating when today they're addressing newly discovered Trump violations whilst (as is their wont) bringing someone on to confirm Trump will definitely run. They've been promoting his alleged 2024 candidacy since 2020.

Also, that Noah dude is not qualified to write anything with "fun" in the title.

3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I was unpleasantly surprised to see stank-faced, looked-like-he-smelled-a-fart Noah Rothman again.  I changed the channel. 

Truly, I don't think the guy could stop talking long enough to acknowledge a fart's existence.

• Love 4
(edited)

this Shinzo Abe thing is freakin terrifying

I love Janice but I'm confused why they're talking to their Beijing correspondent about this. Don't they know any Japanese people? I'm not a politico but *I* know Japanese people? sometimes I find it so shocking how un-global these people are, like when the Ukraine crisis began it took them two weeks before they remembered to put a Ukrainian person on air

Edited by neona2
  • Love 4

omg again!!

--> Janice, in Beijing, what's the latest from Japan? No seriously, in Beijing!

so no one at MSNBC owns a freakin globe?

I'm sorry to be snarky but I can't with their attitude of treating humans experiencing global events as zoo animals in need of safari guides --- there's literally no way a global news organization doesn't have a single Japanese person in their rolodex agggggggh to talk about this

• Love 3

Retracting some of my snark bc Andrea Mitchell is here ---> i don't give a shit about what people say about her, in the greater scheme of things she's a pro without equal. For me, I trust her bc she's been everywhere and knows everyone.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

this Shinzo Abe thing is freakin terrifying

I love Janice but I'm confused why they're talking to their Beijing correspondent about this. Don't they know any Japanese people? 

When I was a kid assassinations were kind of a regular thing, it seemed. But it was still shocking news to wake up to this morning.

It's also shocking how narrow our "world" news coverage has become, especially in the age of the 24 hour cycle.

14 minutes ago, neona2 said:

Retracting some of my snark bc Andrea Mitchell is here ---> i don't give a shit about what people say about her, in the greater scheme of things she's a pro without equal. For me, I trust her bc she's been everywhere and knows everyone.

I'm hoping I can get a little time to watch her interview with David Whelan. I'm not completely without empathy for Griner, but the celebrity priviledge in this situation is much. Idk the last time I've heard Whelan mentioned, and MJ has kind of been adding his name as a barely-there footnote.

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 3

Stipulated, I have never seen a Godfather movie.  Mika, stumbling over the death of James Caan, who was introduced as a Hollywood legend, okay then.  Mika tried a few iterations of his character's name in the movie, and settled on something vaguely near the actual name, Sonny Corleone.  When back from a break, she skipped even trying. That's our girl.

• Fire 1
  • Love 11
On 7/8/2022 at 2:46 PM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Stipulated, I have never seen a Godfather movie.  Mika, stumbling over the death of James Caan, who was introduced as a Hollywood legend, okay then.  Mika tried a few iterations of his character's name in the movie, and settled on something vaguely near the actual name, Sonny Corleone.  When back from a break, she skipped even trying. That's our girl.

tbh I'm still extremely confused about the fact that Pat Cipollone is somehow pronounced "Patsy Baloney" ---> which was literally what I thought his name was before I saw it in writing. But I guess this is probably how he mispronounces it himself, yikes 🥴

i woke up early today for Velshi! I love him so much!!! this is unusual bc normally on Saturday morning I'm....doing yoga? in church? making scrambled eggs for orphans? idk what the current polite euphemism for "hungover" is. 

But my on-topic point being ---> there was an ad during the show for a Jan 6th Morning Joe Special Coverage on Tuesday!!! 

I'm excited bc if it's special coverage probably they'll be in studio again and I'm ridiculously excited for this it's been so damn long 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 6/29/2022 at 10:08 AM, jenkait said:

What? What did I miss?! I need to know. 

Can you send a link ?

I have been out of the loop with this show.

I am so busy working and dealing with our sick Pug, Chester that I haven't watched in months.

Sadly, we have made the tough decision to put down Chester this week.

This is my first dog & the kids first dog. We got Chester in 2008 when he was a puppy. I was hoping he would have made his 14th birthday in August.

I would love to know what Joe & Mika said about Roe vs Wade being overturned.

I got a job offer at a law firm, so I might be back to regular recapping in the next few months.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:46 AM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I remember when Mika told Joe she never watched the Godfather movies because she knew the ending of the movies. Joe told her it was a classic movie.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 4
  • Love 2
On 7/9/2022 at 4:07 PM, neona2 said:

tbh I'm still extremely confused about the fact that Pat Cipollone is somehow pronounced "Patsy Baloney" ---> which was literally what I thought his name was before I saw it in writing. But I guess this is probably how he mispronounces it himself, yikes 🥴

Wasn't Patsy Baloney a character in "Goodfellas"?

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4

I’ve missed almost a year maybe and not watched except a time or 2 for 5 minutes. Today I dipped in and was astounded by our Bond girl’s transformation. Kinda unflattering, mousy old lady haircut. Lip Botox plus filler giving her whole mouth a crazy look. And still the frosted lipstick that only looks ok on a 19-24 year old. She literally looks tragic compared to other anchors her age. Does she not see that? 
sorry for the super shallowness but she still can’t read the news so hair and make-up is all she is offering at this point I think. 

• Applause 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, novhappy said:

I’ve missed almost a year maybe and not watched except a time or 2 for 5 minutes. Today I dipped in and was astounded by our Bond girl’s transformation. Kinda unflattering, mousy old lady haircut. Lip Botox plus filler giving her whole mouth a crazy look. And still the frosted lipstick that only looks ok on a 19-24 year old. She literally looks tragic compared to other anchors her age. Does she not see that? 
sorry for the super shallowness but she still can’t read the news so hair and make-up is all she is offering at this point I think. 

The visual difference between Mika and Chris Jansing (who is a decade Mika's senior) alone is stunning. 

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

The visual difference between Mika and Chris Jansing (who is a decade Mika's senior) alone is stunning. 

Chris Jansing has worked her fanny off to get where she is. The ultimate professional; no drama, always prepared, no clothing tics to distract or call attention to herself. I will lap from my bowl of cream now.

• Wink 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 6
On 7/10/2022 at 4:42 PM, Crashcourse said:

@oakville, so sorry to hear about Chester. 

However, congratulations on the law firm offer!

Thanks!. Chester is still alive. I was able to delay his euthanasia a few days. My wife and  I have very different views on whether to get another Pug puppy.

• Hugs 3
  • Love 2

Those little puggers get really get into your heart.  We have one now.  The other passed last year from a congenital heart defect that we were told he would live 3 months.  He lasted a year and a half.  The happiest little guy ever.  They certainly are characters.    

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Kemper said:

Chris Jansing has worked her fanny off to get where she is. The ultimate professional; no drama, always prepared, no clothing tics to distract or call attention to herself. I will lap from my bowl of cream now.

I'll set my own bowl of cream next to yours and we can lap up together. 😁 Of course, Chris Jansing was born and raised in my neck of the woods (and most of her family still lives here) so I am admittedly biased. 

Back to MJ, I did appreciate their attention to the NYT editorial written by Sgt. Gonell. I also noticed that Jonathan Lemire wasn't on, but I didn't see the entire show today. Did he actually get a day off? 😉😂

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, novhappy said:

I actually like Mika’s hair right now. I think it is a more natural color, and I like the length better. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cased said:

I actually like Mika’s hair right now. I think it is a more natural color, and I like the length better. 

Yeah I can't really criticize Mika's appearance - I do think whatever's happening this week is making her appear a little pale, though. That may be mostly due to my disorientation bc I can't figure out where the actual hell these people are. 

Joe, your viewers have the right to their opinions on those you feel 'held the wall' on democracy. The guy gets four hours a day to bloviate (actually, Lemire and Willie probably get a good chunk of that time) and I thought they did a not-great job today covering Tuesday's hearings. 

Did Michael Steele flounce? He's great post-hearing. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

I think Mika is 54 and Chris Jansing is 67.  

If the dates I found Googling are accurate, Chris was born 1/30/1957 and Mika on 5/2/1967. I can actually vouch for the latter because I remember what a big deal MJ made of Mika's 55th.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/13/2022 at 8:48 AM, jacourt said:

Those little puggers get really get into your heart.  We have one now.  The other passed last year from a congenital heart defect that we were told he would live 3 months.  He lasted a year and a half.  The happiest little guy ever.  They certainly are characters.    

Chester will stay alive for another week. I want to give him every chance to live till August 8th which will be his 14th birthday.

Edited by oakville
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
On 7/9/2022 at 10:07 PM, neona2 said:

But my on-topic point being ---> there was an ad during the show for a Jan 6th Morning Joe Special Coverage on Tuesday!!! 

I'm excited bc if it's special coverage probably they'll be in studio again and I'm ridiculously excited for this it's been so damn long 

quoting myself bc I had a super busy week and no time to watch anything ---> doing a Friday! catch-up! and this literally didn't happen? there was no MJ special at all?

Thank god at least for the MSNBC Rachel-led 8 p.m. Recap which continues to be the best news show on teh tee-vee in the past five years. This, this, this is why I find it so hard to give up on MSNBC, because it proves they *can* produce interesting quality shit when they really want to.

I watched a bit of today's MJ and I'm really really sad for that guy who had to retire and had none of the hosts MVPs show up to physically shake his hand and thank him, it's like Joe and Mika have no emotional intelligence about these things and what's really important in working life that involves other humans

I find this version of MJ a bit hard to watch in summer, not because it isn't good, just because the vibe of it is so different from how I feel, I love the light and energy of July and for some reason I'm crazy hyper in the mornings.

It's not a bad show in terms of content, I don't think, it's just that Joe and Mika are weirdly unhappy for some reason and when I turn it on now it feels incongruous with how I feel right now, idk it's hard to explain. The rest of the MSNBC summer shows aren't like this so it's confusing with this heaviness specifically in the morning.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

quoting myself bc I had a super busy week and no time to watch anything ---> doing a Friday! catch-up! and this literally didn't happen? there was no MJ special at all?

Thank god at least for the MSNBC Rachel-led 8 p.m. Recap which continues to be the best news show on teh tee-vee in the past five years. This, this, this is why I find it so hard to give up on MSNBC, because it proves they *can* produce interesting quality shit when they really want to.

I watched a bit of today's MJ and I'm really really sad for that guy who had to retire and had none of the hosts MVPs show up to physically shake his hand and thank him, it's like Joe and Mika have no emotional intelligence about these things and what's really important in working life that involves other humans

I find this version of MJ a bit hard to watch in summer, not because it isn't good, just because the vibe of it is so different from how I feel, I love the light and energy of July and for some reason I'm crazy hyper in the mornings.

It's not a bad show in terms of content, I don't think, it's just that Joe and Mika are weirdly unhappy for some reason and when I turn it on now it feels incongruous with how I feel right now, idk it's hard to explain. The rest of the MSNBC summer shows aren't like this so it's confusing with this heaviness specifically in the morning.

Well, the latest 1/6 hearing was originally scheduled to begin at 10 am. Then it was rescheduled for 1 pm, and coverage started at noon with Andrea Mitchell, Hallie Jackson and Katy Tur. Hope that helps!

• Love 2

watching live this morning! Joe & Mika in mystery location, Lemire in NYC, Eugene Robinson in DC

Mika just said the UK are "expecting temperatures hotter than ever felt by any humans"

that's....no. 😂 but tbh they are super serious today so I appreciate the comic relief. bless.

the whole of the southern hemisphere is like hold.my.beer.

• Wink 1
(edited)

** not to detract from the actual seriousness of global warming, which is freakin terrifying. aggggghhh it's maddening that we're all staring into this existential abyss and no one is doing anything 🥴

a really really great guest for this segment would've been an actual climate scientist!! Climate scientists should be on every news report, everywhere, and should be made celebrities like Dr Fauci. If people in the media complain that people aren't treating climate change as a crisis *they* should help make it one, idk if they really understand their responsibility there

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3
(edited)

They're talking about Bannon "going medieval" and I always wonder why that's an expression bc medieval combat was very boring and full of rules

How come now one ever goes "full-on Genghis" or "I Alexander'ed that place" or "I went Visigoth on his ass" or "I held out like the Gauls". Early morning geek thoughts.

i think it's gonna be one of those mornings where we go a whole first hour without seeing a single female guests

this is why I miss the table and/or the Temple of Jupiter - at least Mika got to be there in frame representing (ish) our sidelined asses

Edited by neona2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

also a really really great guest when talking about free speech restrictions in Florida schools would have been ---> an actual Florida teacher!

mainly bc I'm extremely confused about that particular shitshow 🥴 and about what language means and how it's used and the scary-ass book banning trend which is alarming af, but I'm having a hard time identifying the pressure points where activism is useful? and I wish they would provide some guidance

Barnicle looks cute! has he been away? He's 78 but the way he wears that blue suit will forever be *chef's kiss* 🥰

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

** not to detract from the actual seriousness of global warming, which is freakin terrifying. aggggghhh it's maddening that we're all staring into this existential abyss and no one is doing anything 🥴

a really really great guest for this segment would've been an actual climate scientist!! Climate scientists should be on every news report, everywhere, and should be made celebrities like Dr Fauci. If people in the media complain that people aren't treating climate change as a crisis *they* should help make it one, idk if they really understand their responsibility there

Are you saying that a guy who doesn't go into the office to work but manages to fly to major league baseball games, travels to Europe for his agent's multimillion dollar wedding and owns multiple homes may not be our only hope to galvanize America to fight climate change??

43 minutes ago, neona2 said:

They're talking about Bannon "going medieval" and I always wonder why that's an expression bc medieval combat was very boring and full of rules

Whenever they repeat that quote all I can think of is Mad TV's Gump Fiction sketch: 'we're going to get medieval on your buttocks.'

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, chick binewski said:

Whenever they repeat that quote all I can think of is Mad TV's Gump Fiction sketch: 'we're going to get medieval on your buttocks.'

Well now I'm gonna need a clip Chick B!!!! Please post. this sounds awesome

• LOL 1

Good God! I tuned in first thing and heard Meeka talking pickle ball; and Joe was talking canasta. Dropped by toward the end of the 8:00 hour and they were talking about pickle ball and canasta. Are they back to rerunning the 6:00 hour? Please tell me this cannot be true - not for the boatload of money and ego/power trip that the network gave Joe. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Dropped in a  bit today.  Grateful they put up what Mika is reading because with her stilted delivery it is hard to understand.  I read instead of listen.  I am sick of the glee that is shown whenever something "bad" happens to Trump or one of his associates.  So immature.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2