Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

does the "crawl" (the bottom of the screen text) help or hinder what Joe and Mika are trying to get across?

Dont worry, the point will be repeated ad nauseam.  

Edited by jacourt
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/30/2022 at 8:17 AM, Kemper said:

Yowza. Things were poppin’ fresh.*  She looked fabulous,

I noticed too.  Is Scarborough's nose swollen?  With the glasses it looks like he just paid a visit to the joke shop. 

• LOL 2

I took a break bc i found Monday etc a bit too much of a downer for me, tried a little this morning and for some reason Friday was even more depressing than Monday... there were like 2020 mid-covid vibes...why does it have to be like this?

This show used to be such a burst of energy, I miss iiiiiit

oh well, not to be too negative. Joyce Vance on the guest list, she makes everything better, tbh i'm still obsessed with the Sisters in Law podcast. Also there was a great segment w Stacey Plaskett. 

ETA: joyce on now! yay

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2

Scarborough on Friday morning reminded me of why I stopped watching this show.  Given the historic significance of the President's speech the night before, I was anxious to see the panel's commentary.   Scarborough probably intuited that many like myself would be tuning in, so instead of getting right to the news of the day he arrogantly opened the show with five minutes of bro improv between himself and straight man Willie Geist about the Boston Red Sox, as if to say, I'll get around to it when I'm good and ready, and you're all just gonna have to wait.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9
On 9/3/2022 at 5:21 AM, millennium said:

Scarborough on Friday morning reminded me of why I stopped watching this show.  Given the historic significance of the President's speech the night before, I was anxious to see the panel's commentary.   Scarborough probably intuited that many like myself would be tuning in, so instead of getting right to the news of the day he arrogantly opened the show with five minutes of bro improv between himself and straight man Willie Geist about the Boston Red Sox, as if to say, I'll get around to it when I'm good and ready, and you're all just gonna have to wait.

Joe considers himself to be one of the most influential Red Sox fans in the team's history. I hate the Red Sox because they are in the same division as the Blue Jays.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
50 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe considers himself to be one of the most influential Red Sox fans in the team's history.

I grew up in Red Sox country.   And Bruins country.   And New England Patriots country.  Scarborough is almost as insufferable as any native-born New England sports fan, including my family.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

I grew up in Red Sox country.   And Bruins country.   And New England Patriots country.  Scarborough is almost as insufferable as any native-born New England sports fan, including my family.

My family went to Cape Cod Massachusetts every summer. My dad worked for Gillette Canada which reported to Gillette HQ in Boston. He met with Gillette Boston people every summer. I was annoyed by the number of Red Sox fans among the Gillette HQ executives. The Montreal Expos were a much better run team than the incompetent Red Sox.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I know it's been slow with reruns and all, but the discussion in this thread is about the show, not baseball fandoms. That's for the Hosts and Small Talk threads, please.

OK, but Joe & Barnicle are Red Sox fans. They talk about their love of one of the most evil franchises in the history of the MLB all the time on the show. :))

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I honestly don't know what's worse...Joe and his incessant love of the Red Sox or Ari Melber and his incessant love of rap and hip hop. Both are insufferable. Joe, if I wanted to hear about the Red Sox I'd watch ESPN...not what is supposed to be a political news show.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Joe and Mika now back in Florida in the Temple of Jupiter Optimus! Maximus! Mika has been re-granted admission back in teh Royal Box, good for her.

Willie in NYC, our Khaleesi Katty in DC. On guest list, 16 men and 3 women #businessasusual

Hamlet is on and being very negative about human nature, he needs to read Rutger Bregman's Human Kind

7 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

I honestly don't know what's worse...Joe and his incessant love of the Red Sox or Ari Melber and his incessant love of rap and hip hop. Both are insufferable. Joe, if I wanted to hear about the Red Sox I'd watch ESPN...not what is supposed to be a political news show.

I kinda like the sports talk, i mean, within limits. I don't really understand it but it's calming, like the pleasant babble of babies, and it makes the panel/guests more relaxed which equals more real insights on the important stuff. like a warm-up I guess. At least it's better than those days they start shouting at us straight out the door gaaaah

i don't have time to watch Ari but I follow him on tiktok, I like him

27 minutes ago, millennium said:

I couldn't stand Scarborough's effete King Solomon routine from about 6:05 to 6:20 today.   It left such a bad taste I switched off.

ikr. But at least he didn't get mad when Andrew Weissman disagreed with him ---> if you need an alternative w more depth, I recommend the Sisters in Law podcast (for the thousandth time, heh)

Richard Haas aka Post-Resurrection Gandalf still working that beard. I am in favor of this, also hoping he keeps this up till December so we can call him Santa Haas

• Love 5

Meeka had her hair down; when I came back it was in an updo. Now it is down again. She has on the same top - so I guess maybe certain segments are pre-taped on the same day?

I don’t mind “sports talk” - especially baseball right now. What I do mind is the talk only being about the Red Socks; it makes Joe look like the pampered preppie he would probably poke fun at. 

• Love 4

on my commute home, and am literally listening to Nicolle and Claire having the most detailed insightful Roe discussion I've heard in weeks, their real human selves in studio...

then suddenly that real-ass presentism had to be interrupted by a crinkly bad connection from Robert Gibbs spouting crinkly platitudes. It's like they get it soooo right and then make concessions to random dudes in the weirdest ways. Sigh.

anywhoo, I'm here for all of the positivity for all of us, we are all in this shitshow together 😂

ETA: the most hilarious segments are the *oh gee, why are women skeptical? about being literally fucked over?"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

• Love 3

Neona - I feel like Yoda dispensing old, wizened, advice: You do well, my young cricket. MJ has always been an Old Boys Club; they think by having a woman co-host (I kid!) that no one will notice or comment. Bless their hearts. But you did! Also - did I catch Chris Matthews this morning? Maybe he is shilling a book. 

4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Neona - I feel like Yoda dispensing old, wizened, advice: You do well, my young cricket. MJ has always been an Old Boys Club; they think by having a woman co-host (I kid!) that no one will notice or comment. Bless their hearts. But you did! Also - did I catch Chris Matthews this morning? Maybe he is shilling a book. 

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 4

Kemper, I'm gonna take your yoda advice. I think i need to stop complaining about the exact same thing every morning, it's getting tedious, heh. Sorry guys.

moving on ---> Willie in the basilica of the annunciation today, Lemire in NYC, Barb McQuade & Ryan Reilly remote, Joe and Mika in teh Temple of Jupiter Optimus! Maximus! -----> fun fact about this backdrop, for this morning show they've used an image of the White House in the evening! the trees are dark and the sunlight slants west to east. Whenever they cut from this to a live shot of the real WH (after sunrise) and the light slants east to west, my brain short-circuits

• Love 1

I just realized, bc of twitter etc it's actually super-easy to do an msnbc! tally! for the sake of comparison w MJ --->

eg for yesterday 6 Sept:

Morning joe --> 16 men, 3 women,

Jose Diaz --> 6 men, 3 women

Lindsay Reiser: 7 men, 5 women

Random Dude in for Andrea: 6 men: 4 women

Yasmin: 5 women 3 men (bc Yasmin is a badass. I miss her so much on weekdays)

Katy Tur: 3 women 5 men

Random Dude in for Hallie: 5 women, 7 men

Nicolle hour one: 2 men, 2 women (yay!), Nicolle hour two: 7 men, 1 woman (sigh)

Ari Melber: 2 male guests 0 female guests

Joy Reid: 7 male guests, 1 female guest

Chris Hayes: 3 male guests 1 female guest

Alex Wagner: 2 male guests 2 female guests! okay 50-50, that's *chef*s kiss* and a first, for years, on this network. I like herrrr!

Lawrence: 6 men, 1 woman

Steph: 7 men, 0 women

34 female guests, 121 male guests ---> on the network literally championing themselves as *the* liberal network.

In a 24-hour period, basically, approximately, consistently, only about 20% women

*primal scream*

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/6/2022 at 5:48 PM, Kemper said:

Also - did I catch Chris Matthews this morning? Maybe he is shilling a book.

Ha!

Attentive viewers this morning almost got to hear Mika botch the words "voter data" while reading from an article.   She caught herself after saying "doter" leaving it to folks at home to fill in the unspoken "vata."

• LOL 5

I know Joe and Mika talked about Queen Elizabeth in today's episode (thank you for that info, @neona2), but the official death announcement came after it ended. So until the show mentions the death of Queen Elizabeth, it's O/T here. There is a Royals thread where you can discuss her in the meantime. 

Thanks!

Edited by dubbel zout
additional info
  • Love 1

I understand they were limited today but I'm hoping Bernard Shaw and his passing get the attention deserved tomorrow. If 24 hour news stuck to his example we might all be better off right now.

Also, I do believe Mika truly feels something genuine for Seth Rich's parents. But her delivery is awkward to the point it feels almost insincere.

• Love 5

All in studio in NYC today!! it's a miracle!!

some guest the other day said UK was "almost postmodern" due to the total breakdown in public discourse around Brexit, since then Joe has been using the word postmodern in very weird ways, heh

What my impatient ass was prematurely saying yesterday ---> i wish the coverage would include more on QE2's service during WW2, bc it's so awesome. Here's a video with footage put together by the Imperial War Museum in London

favorite part of this, she insisted on it "against her father's wishes" 🥰

• Love 2

So not about the Queen, but it reminds me…. Does anyone else remember how Joe used to be obsessed with Prince Philip?  He totally loved the old guy, thought he was funny or idolized him I don’t know, but he often brought him up or mentioned him.  So the news of Prince Philip’s death actually broke during Morning Joe and it was actually JOE who had to break it.  I felt pretty bad for him!  

Was Keir Simmons at the table with them? How did he get to London like 6 hours later? I guess it’s a lot quicker from the east coast, now that I think of it.  Or maybe he was just in a box, I actually thought Elissa Slotkin was Elise Jordan  the first go-round (they look similar 🤷‍♀️) so I wasn’t paying that close attention.

I enjoyed hearing Katty Kay’s perspective. She took a long time to grow on me but I have to thank neona2 for helping me see the light 😆

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

hmmm, well, happy to help I guess ---> i feel slightly bad for Katty, despite being Transatlantic Khaleesi she's been rudely overlooked in the line of succession

On 9/10/2022 at 1:20 AM, jenkait said:

Was Keir Simmons at the table with them? How did he get to London like 6 hours later? I guess it’s a lot quicker from the east coast, now that I think of it.  Or maybe he was just in a box

it's about 7hrs from NYC to London, and then annoyingly about 8hrs from London to NYC for some science-y reason I'm too lazy to google. Keir Simmonds was in London on friday's MJ, I think he's been there several days. sometimes when it seems like Keir has teleported it's because it's actually Richard Engel, heh 

• Useful 1

I don't usually watch msnbc on weekends post-lockdown but man, Alex Witt has such warmth and literally asks the best questions, I just watched her interview the Buckingham Palace chef with so much kindness and curiosity and zero condescension - anyhoo, my actual on-topic reason for posting - 

On 9/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, millennium said:

Now that the show has mentioned Queen Elizabeth's death, I take it I am free to ask if anyone knows where I can get myself placed in a medical coma until all the media coverage is over.

a ten-day pub-crawl in Dublin would probably do the trick, my friend #guinness 

I was gonna ask what the Joe/Prince Phillip backstory thingy is but I'm scared 🥴

Edited by neona2
  • LOL 2

Joe asked dictionary definition of weenie, George Will, a very thoughtful question about why are conservatives proving to be the lunatics so easily led by Qanon and ludicrous conspiracy theories.  Will said, "a small percentage of Americans are very scared (or angry).  But anyway here's how Biden totally failed by..."    He couldn't even spend 15 syllables considering his party's blame before he dropped the question to rant about Biden.  Luckily I have a remote control with a mute button.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, may flowers said:

Joe, just now:  Elizabeth II was the “Victoria of the Elizabethan age…the second Elizabethan age.”  What does that actually mean? 

it means that all women in powerful positions have to be awkwardly compared with other women who held that position, despite the fact that they have literally nothing else in common

just a wild guess 

re: the Andrew Lloyd Webber vs the Queen feud on the Victorian interior of Cardiff Castle - he likes it, she didn't, and I am Team Queen on this. good god.  

image.png.8e8030351619e5236363acd2e51e55b8.png

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Joe asked dictionary definition of weenie, George Will, a very thoughtful question about why are conservatives proving to be the lunatics so easily led by Qanon and ludicrous conspiracy theories.  Will said, "a small percentage of Americans are very scared (or angry).  But anyway here's how Biden totally failed by..."    He couldn't even spend 15 syllables considering his party's blame before he dropped the question to rant about Biden.  Luckily I have a remote control with a mute button.

Mika finally came to life with the follow up, 'George, my husband just asked you about Republican LEADERS...'.

Overall it was a weird vibe today. Mika looked like she barely made it out of bed, Joe somewhat subdued filming from the back of that bowling alley in Juno Beach or wherever the hell he is. And checking in with Fox News' former "political director" as to how I can improve my media savvy did nothing to endear me to this episode.

• Love 4
On 9/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, neona2 said:

I don't usually watch msnbc on weekends post-lockdown but man, Alex Witt has such warmth and literally asks the best questions, I just watched her interview the Buckingham Palace chef with so much kindness and curiosity and zero condescension - anyhoo, my actual on-topic reason for posting - 

a ten-day pub-crawl in Dublin would probably do the trick, my friend #guinness 

I was gonna ask what the Joe/Prince Phillip backstory thingy is but I'm scared 🥴

I don't watch the network on weekends....so have not seen Alex Witt in ages.  Does she still have pageant hair and wear those peasant blouses? The ones with the tie at the top - revealing a wee bit of cleavage.  Lapping from my saucer of cream.

Yes, the show did seem a bid subdued today; and George Will is always an automatic channel flipper.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

I have never been able to figure out what the 15 means in the show's logo. Do any of you know?

It's been postulated that it could any number of things: Name the 15 guests in the squares, listen for Mika's first 15 flubs (with bonus points for her 15 adoring glances at Joe), the first 15 interruptions by Joe, his first 15 mentions of his time in Congress...it goes on and on. However I believe it may be calling to attention to the show's 15 years on air.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

It's been postulated that it could any number of things: Name the 15 guests in the squares, listen for Mika's first 15 flubs (with bonus points for her 15 adoring glances at Joe), the first 15 interruptions by Joe, his first 15 mentions of his time in Congress...it goes on and on. However I believe it may be calling to attention to the show's 15 years on air.

Those are all great (and hilarious) theories, but I agree that the last one makes the most sense. I didn't know when the show began.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

I don't watch the network on weekends....so have not seen Alex Witt in ages.  Does she still have pageant hair and wear those peasant blouses? The ones with the tie at the top - revealing a wee bit of cleavage.  Lapping from my saucer of cream.

Yes, the show did seem a bid subdued today; and George Will is always an automatic channel flipper.

well, you already know what I'm gonna say ---> i like the blouses! 😂 in favor of all humans using their visual space in some sort of interesting individual way, haha. ymmv, obviously

Agree about George Will, though! Sighhhhh

50 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Those are all great (and hilarious) theories, but I agree that the last one makes the most sense. I didn't know when the show began.

i think they explained that the 15 is because their 15th anniversary is coming up. also, Willie explained at some point that the pinstripes in the 15 are a throwback to the baseball uniforms of the Mets. Or the Yankees? Clearly i have no f-ing clue, but I remember he said it bc I appreciate when ppl put thought into these things. 

although the 15 may also be the number of minutes past 6 a.m. when Joe starts yelling #likeclockwork

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

These screen caps were taken within the past month. You be the judge.

MSNBCW_20220821_140000_The_Sunday_Show_With_Jonathan_Capehart_007167.jpg

MSNBCW_20220911_170000_Alex_Witt_Reports_002279.jpg

• Wink 1
  • Useful 1

Oh neona2, it was like a year ago your posts somehow made me like Katty, nothing about the Queen. I’m not British but I felt bad for her during this, seeing how she spoke. A good friend of mine who was born in England reacted the same. It was sad to see, both of them.

ETA: unrelated but Mika just pronounced “nalaxone” correctly!  I cheered.  And I automatically type name her name as Minka (my cat’s name, which I chose after seeing an error of Mika’s name LOL) so no one’s perfect I guess! 

Edited by jenkait
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, neona2 said:

hmmm, well, happy to help I guess ---> i feel slightly bad for Katty, despite being Transatlantic Khaleesi she's been rudely overlooked in the line of succession

it's about 7hrs from NYC to London, and then annoyingly about 8hrs from London to NYC for some science-y reason I'm too lazy to google. Keir Simmonds was in London on friday's MJ, I think he's been there several days. sometimes when it seems like Keir has teleported it's because it's actually Richard Engel, heh 

The tradewinds! I know the science name but I’d have to to look it up to know further haha. It’s shorter coming home to Vancouver from NYC, like 4h vs 5h.  In any case,  it def is going to be shorter from the east coast to London even, so thanks. 7-8h is still longer than I thought! 

OK my ears are steaming. I’m assuming Fetterman needs to be cleared by a doctor or advised by a doctor regarding running. I feel like they may not exactly know how much he’ll get back at this point, but progress after a stroke is an excellent indicator of success-dude just needs TIME. I’ve seen people go to a nursing home after a stroke and just go home after six months.  I’d be staying out of the limelight too because time makes the difference. Anyway, it’s between him and his doctors, not like I know his situation.  Strokes are such a mixed bag.

If he can’t run, that’s a shame and I wish him well. If he can, then I’ll take him ANYDAY as he is over Oz.  That jerk writing the article doesn’t seem to realize that like Dr.Oz could have a major coronary tomorrow. Sorry I take this personally, I had a surprise near-fatal asthma attack 18 months ago. I didn’t even have asthma FFS.  So, assuming no one is driving cars too etc??  Aargh!  Fetterman has proved himself for years.  He’ll be crucified by the Dr.Oz camp at this point no matter what he does. I do believe he can withstand it, he’s that cool.  I really wish this hadn’t happened to him, though.

LOL Claire “The White House sent Lindsay Graham flowers last night.” I needed that right now.

• Love 5

Yesterday I saw Adam K make an appearance. At first he was just talking to Willie … I held my breath. Joe finally jumped in and started talking about How It Was Back When yada yada. He went on for awhile. I don’t remember what changed but the discussion seemed to settle down and there was some give and take. I had to leave so I don’t know if it continued.

• LOL 1
On 6/7/2022 at 3:50 PM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Not sure where to post this, but has anyone watch the Katie Phang show early on MSNBC  weekend days?  She's GREAT!  I could see Willie and Katie presenting a dynamic daily show, should the millionaire duo who cannot regularly come into a studio ever decide to retire.  Wasn't the snark that Joe was going to run for Congress again?

Katie Phang is just phenomenal. 

Lindsay Reiser is also very refreshing and just lovely and appropriately funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

i'm watching this morning's MJ show a lil late and they're discussing Linsday Graham's Abortion bill etc etc...and I just wanted to express a feeling that I have, it's so hard to put into words but I feel like it's an element that maybe plays a huge part but isn't expressed so much in news media, so excuse teh point of personal privilige ---->

basically it's this ---> for me, actually, the overturning of Roe doesn't affect me a lot bc of geography, but the reason it scares is that I feel like most women, we walk around, just living our lives, but also a lot of us, a lot of the time, we have  this creeping, nagging, unshakeable suspicion that maybe on some level some men (not all! thank god!) don't actually consider us Real Human Beings.

As in, they don't consider us... entities with rich internal lives? capable of moral deliberation and choice? Capable of doubts, and fears, and interpreting and coming to impossible conclusions about impossible situations? By our fucking selves? 

it's the one thing that scares me the most, because i know i know i know i am a real human, and i think a thousand complex thoughts and if i end up in an impossible situation *i* wanna be the person who makes the decision for me.

It frustrates me so much about the news discussions on MJ and elsewhere is that they don't understand that this entire thing is about denying 50% of humanity *agency* and *humanity*. it's about so much more than just a specific choice in a specific situation, it's about who gets to be a real human being and who doesn't get to be a real human being that's why its so fucking scary for me

sorry about the swearing but i'm so genuinely scared 😭

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1
  • Love 1