Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

John Meacham is at the desk with Joe and Mika.  He has a new book about Jesus. 

Yesterday, the president had a press conference about the Corona virus.  They showed MSNBC correspondent Hallie Jackson debating the president about the response.

There are concerns about budget cuts at the CDC.  Trump was shown saying we can get money and people.  Famed epidemiologists Joe and Mika pretended to know better than anyone at the White House. They are very concerned after all of their studying and research about this virus. Joe is pleased with the White House response. Richard Haas said the risk is unknown right now.  He found the press conference sobering.

Joe advised us to limit travel.  Thanks, Joe.

Who has invaded Joe's body?  Where is the name calling and insult riffing?  Mika is worried that Trump got rid of everyone at the CDC.   Mika, the CDC still has a huge fucking campus in Atlanta.  Everyone is not gone you moron.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

Famed epidemiologists Joe and Mika pretended to know better than anyone at the White House.

That is freaking hilarious!

I do appreciate the serious, sober discussion this morning.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Question, I'm not an American, is it normal for US academics to talk about Jesus/the Bible etc as historical fact, like Meacham just did? Without mentioning the historical context that gave rise to that mythology? I'm not at all against spirituality or community or any of those things but for a historian to promote a book like that without mentioning the historical context of Mesopotamian, Caananite, Egyptian, Greek, Manichean etc influences on the Bible seems just odd, especially when they've made a name for themselves for historical accuracy when commenting on other time periods.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, neona said:

Question, I'm not an American, is it normal for US academics to talk about Jesus/the Bible etc as historical fact, like Meacham just did? Without mentioning the historical context that gave rise to that mythology? I'm not at all against spirituality or community or any of those things but for a historian to promote a book like that without mentioning the historical context of Mesopotamian, Caananite, Egyptian, Greek, Manichean etc influences on the Bible seems just odd, especially when they've made a name for themselves for historical accuracy when commenting on other time periods.

I don't have an answer,  but, sometimes I think I have to have a Jesus card to watch this show.  😕

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, neona said:

Question, I'm not an American, is it normal for US academics to talk about Jesus/the Bible etc as historical fact, like Meacham just did? Without mentioning the historical context that gave rise to that mythology?

It depends on the audience but too often, unfortunately, the answer is yes. Sad.

• Love 3

The line of the show for me today, was when Joe said Mika offers to train young women at MSNBC on how to read a teleprompter. That made me laugh. 

Edited by cased
  • LOL 7

Viewers are lucky that Mika & Joe have so many influential contacts. They told Joe to limit travel.

Joe will now have an excuse to stay in Florida for the rest of the year.

Joe said that the medical experts have to keep people from dying in the swing states to help Trump's re election effort.

• LOL 2

Joe said that the Clyburn endorsement is very important for Joe Biden.

Eugene said he waited until after the debate to endorse him.

Joe said that Bernie left SC because he knows he will lose the state to Biden.

He is campaigning in Warren's home state of Mass. Joe mocked Warren for being nice to Bernie in the debate & he repays her but competing against her in her home state.

Joe wants Bloomberg to get out of the race on Sunday to help Biden.

Donnie said Bloomberg will be a hero if he gets out of the race. Donnie wants Bloomberg to finance Biden's campaign in exchange for being named Secretary of State.

Joe's sources told him that Clyburn would endorse Bloomberg before the first debate.

• Love 4

John Meacham is at the desk with Joe and Mika.  He has a new book about Jesus. 

Well this explains why when I switched it on, I thought I had landed on a Billy Graham prayer breakfast.  It was weird..

Mika. KYV. 50 over 50. Barf.

I had just gotten into my car and Mika was talking, and one second in I knew it was about KYV.  When she talks about KYV she's all breezy and Gee-Golly, salewoman-mode. Blerrggg.

• Love 3

I’m going to be sipping tea at my table for one here.  I’ve actually enjoyed this show in the last few weeks.  With the stress of a new election, I enjoy the jokes and light hearted nature of this show.  I think Joe can be incredibly funny at times, but Mika is a wet blanket.  I love Joe’s friendship with Willie and Barnacle.  I’d also like to say I love listening to James Carville on any show.

• Love 6

Heilemann said that Sanders is also campaigning in Minnesota. He might beat Klobuchar in Minnesota.

Heilemann said that Biden is not spending money on tv advertising.

Joe was furious that a Trump Super Pac is running ads with Obama's voice  complaining about Biden.

Joe said that his sources are telling him that Biden can beat Trump.

Joe said Trump got impeached because of his fear of Biden.

Joe is very fickle. A few weeks ago he said that Bloomberg would sweep the Super Tuesday states with his advertising.

Donnie is excited about Biden. There is money on the sidelines for him!

Donnie wants Bloomberg to endorse Biden.

Heilemann worked for Bloomberg. It was a show with Halperin on Bloomberg TV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Mika said she loves Chris Matthews & watches his show.

Joe's new theory is that Biden's name id will help him on Super Tuesday.

It will be similar to John McCain winning the GOP nomination in 2008.

Joe said that Iowa & NH are as white as Nantucket!. The DNC screwed up by allowing those 2 states to go first.

Barnicle admitted that he was part of the chattering class that overestimated Sanders support.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Well, then that guarantees he won't show up on MJ, doesn't it?

Mika was jealous that Bloomberg agreed to be interviewed by his friend Stephanie Ruhle .

Furthermore, Bloomberg has not provided financial support for Mika's KYV seminars.

• Love 4

Joe made me laugh with his jokes about the Kentucky Derby & comparing Bernie to Secretariat. Meacham brought up Wallace in 1948 as a progressive. Joe said there was a horse named Wallace who won the Kentucky Derby in 1948.

Joe said that his Florida friends will hold their nose and vote for Trump over Sanders.

Donnie said that his  NY friends will do the same thing.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

He's the only person more inept at speaking or reading a teleprompter than Mika. 

In reality, if you've ever spent an hour watching Andrea Mitchell,  she makes Mika look like a linguistics genius. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

In reality, if you've ever spent an hour watching Andrea Mitchell,  she makes Mika look like a linguistics genius. 

Too true! I sometimes would turn on MSNBC on the breakroom tv while making my lunch.  At least Mika doesn't talk that much on MJ.

Andrea really sucks at hosting. 

Never thought we'd see the words "Mika" and "genius" in the same sentence. 

Other than maybe "Mika is NOT a genius". 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I’m going to be sipping tea at my table for one here.  I’ve actually enjoyed this show in the last few weeks.  With the stress of a new election, I enjoy the jokes and light hearted nature of this show.  I think Joe can be incredibly funny at times, but Mika is a wet blanket.  I love Joe’s friendship with Willie and Barnacle.  I’d also like to say I love listening to James Carville on any show.

James Carville's hysterical meltdown a few weeks ago over Bernie soured me on him.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

James Carville's hysterical meltdown a few weeks ago over Bernie soured me on him.  

I soured on him when he appeared on the coverage of the 2018 Congressional elections and declared that the Dems were headed to a disastrous result shortly after the east coast polls closed.

It turned out to be a historic wave victory for them.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I agree with this.  She is a wet blanket except when she laughs at Joe's dumb impressions and jokes. On Monday or Tuesday, Joe was doing his Bernie Sanders impression and Mika was cracking up.  I realized part of her attraction to Joe must be that he makes her laugh. 

• Love 6

Mika read a lot of news stories about corona virus.  She informed us that Green Day and K Pop have canceled concerts.  

Joe is worried that we are ill-prepared.  He seems to think that no one every got on an airplane with a contagious disease before. Joe, do you remember that dude who flew from Italy to Canada with Ebola or all of the people who flew all over the world with SARS?  The media are not helping with this constant panic.  

Dominic Chu joined and said that he does not want to be alarmist.  Joe did not get the memo, Dominic.

Joe is worried about NBC employees going to the Olympics.  NBC has a dilemma y'all.

I think Joe should go in a plastic bubble and stay there for five months.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Why can't MJ have a medical expert or two on to talk about the Coronavirus? There are plenty on other MSNBC shows. 

Or how about MSNBC regular Ron Klane, President Obama's Ebola czar. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 6

A Monmouth poll shows Joe Biden with a big lead in South Carolina.  Garrett Haake did a live report from outside his hotel in South Carolina. Haake thinks Biden and Bernie will split delegates on Super Tuesday.

Joe thinks Biden could win big in South Carolina, and this will propel him to the Super Tuesday states. Joe said South Carolina reflects the demographics of the Democratic party.

• Love 4

Biden has a strong lead in SC. he is leading Bernie 36-16.

Bernie is traveling to other states.

Joe said Bernie's crowds are overwhelmingly white, so that mean his support among African Americans is low. The results from Nevada contradict Joe's asessment.

Kasie! gets to interview Michael Bloomberg.

• Love 4

Mika was proud of Kasie! Joe said that Bloomberg was at the top of his game.

Kasie got Bloomberg to commit to only serving 2 terms as President.

Kasie is impressed with the staff that Bloomberg hired to run his campaign.

Joe said that every President has a different skill set. Bloomberg is better at giving interviews.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

What the hell!?!? Senator Durbin shows up in studio and Joe can't be bothered to stick around for the interview?

MSNBC, you need to stop enabling this behavior. He's not doing his job.

(Oh, wait. He decided to return so he could bloviate for the last five minutes.)

• Love 4

Charlie Sykes is worried about Bernie Sanders winning the nomination. He said that some Never Trump voters would end up voting for Trump. He wants Bloomberg to run anti-Sanders ads.

Joe wants South Carolina to be the first primary.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

Why can't MJ have a medical expert or two on to talk about the Coronavirus? There are plenty on other MSNBC shows. 

Or how about MSNBC regular Ron Klane, President Obama's Ebola czar. 

THIS. Although Doogie Howser was pretty good. But their angle remains flippantly financial/political while for anyone able to see beyond the next 5 minutes, this is actually going to be a major public health emergency. It's still an improvement from yesterday, though, where our expert on the coronoavirus was Jon Meacham, who gave us a totally useless anecdote about Churchill...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, xaxat said:

What the hell!?!? Senator Durbin shows up in studio and Joe can't be bothered to stick around for the interview?

MSNBC, you need to stop enabling this behavior. He's not doing his job.

(Oh, wait. He decided to return so he could bloviate for the last five minutes.)

Joe is very rude to Senator Durbin. What's wrong with him ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe said that the Democrats need to expand the Obama coalition. They can't rely on Obama -Trump voters returning to the Democratic party.

Joe hopes that a Libertarian candidate can get votes in Wisconsin.

It was very interesting that Jen Psaki pointed out that Green Party candidate Jill Stein got more votes in WI than Hillary in 2016.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, tres bien said:

It was very interesting that Jen Psaki pointed out that Green Party candidate Jill Stein got more votes in WI than Hillary in 2016.

I missed this. Can you explain the context? Because that's not even close to being true.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I missed this. Can you explain the context? Because that's not even close to being true.

My mistake.  What she said was that the over 31,000 votes Jill Stein got made a difference in in Hillary's loosing WI. Which prompted Joe to say couldn't a Libertarian candidate have the same effect on trump. To which Charlie Sykes thought could be true.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

My mistake.  What she said was that the over 31,000 votes Jill Stein got made a difference in in Hillary's loosing WI. Which prompted Joe to say couldn't a Libertarian candidate have the same effect on trump. To which Charlie Sykes thought could be true.

Here are the 2016 results from Wisconsin. The Libertarian Candidate did get more votes than the Green candidate. Joe said that some Conservatives that are unhappy with Trump will vote Libertarian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election_in_Wisconsin#Statewide_results

On 2/27/2020 at 10:34 AM, ButterQueen said:

I agree with most of this. Though Mika can be a wet blanket, I have seen a little bit of improvement over the last few months. She does not seem to be muttering as much in the background and she has been pushing back to get answers on some of her interviews. Baby steps  but  I wanted to point this out.

9 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe is worried that we are ill-prepared.  He seems to think that no one every got on an airplane with a contagious disease before. Joe, do you remember that dude who flew from Italy to Canada with Ebola or all of the people who flew all over the world with SARS?  The media are not helping with this constant panic.  

I think Joe should go in a plastic bubble and stay there for five months.

Joe's worry about contagion  is valid but it makes me wonder if/when some of our leaders and their families are going to retreat to a bunker.

• Love 3
(edited)

The show opened with the Democratic nominees for president.  Joe Biden won South Carolina with 48 percent of the vote.  Bernie Sanders finished second.  Sanders still leads in delegates won.

Joe said Biden doesn't do well in states that have a majority of white voters.  

Joe interrupted Al Sharpton and yelled about how Black voters will not support Bernie Sanders.  Joe said he does not want to see any more stories on the news about Sanders getting Black voters.  What if the reporter actually finds a voter who supports Sanders?  Is that ok with Joe? 

Joe is absolutely flipping out about Bernie and Black voters. Calm down, man.

Joe sees no path forward for Klobuchar and Warren.  

Steve Korniacki said a lot of votes were already cast in Colorado in Texas ahead of Super Tuesday because those states have early voting.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 5

Joe said the race was reset. Joe said he was right about Biden performing poorly in 90% white states.

Joe said it was a blowout for Biden. Joe said that Klobuchar & Warren don't have a chance of winning the nomination.

Joe is upset at people saying that Bernie is attracting young black voters. It didn't work in South Carolina.

• Love 3

Joe is very bossy towards Steve Kornacki. He only wants him to talk about polls after South Carolina.

Joe wants many candidates to get over 15% so thy can get delegates to stop Sanders.

• Love 1