Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Agree with the birthday nonsense. This kind of meaningless chatter is so self serving and not at all fitting for the format. It does give Mika's brain some free time, though. She doesn't have to concentrate so hard at paying attention and pretending to follow along. I did hear her once again read a tease emphasizing the wrong word; why can't she familiarize herself with the script? Turned it off.

I really don't watch much at all anymore either. I don't even watch MSNBC at night now.  This time of year my dvr is chock full of great programs, so morning or evening, listening to people with probably less expertise than most of us here (exc: Rachel Maddow) try to convince me how brilliant their opinions are is a waste of my time. 

• Love 10

It seems so wrong to hear Ratner talking about the candidates, especially about Bloomberg.  Yeah, they do the obligatory Ratner/Bloomberg disclosure every time, but it's like having KAC on to talk about Trump.  They are just going to be biased. I almost think Ratner should not be on the panel on segments when candidates are discussed.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

It seems so wrong to hear Ratner talking about the candidates, especially about Bloomberg.  Yeah, they do the obligatory Ratner/Bloomberg disclosure every time, but it's like having KAC on to talk about Trump.  They are just going to be biased. I almost think Ratner should not be on the panel on segments when candidates are discussed.

I agree. Joe has said on numerous occasions that he believes that Bloomberg advertising on morning cable tv news shows is the key to victory. Ratner must have recommended to Bloomberg to advertise heavily on Morning Joe. Mika & Joe can get a bonus  based on the extra advertising revenue.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

On the bright side, I've found someone I hate more than Joe and Mika.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

After watching Bloomberg on the Dem debate, there is zero excuse for the show to have Ratner on as anything other than a Bloomberg booster. Releasing tax returns, divestiture from his company, charitable contributions (that came with implicit strings in NY). . .

Ratner knows it all.

• Love 5

Joe and Mika were entertained by the Democratic debate in Vegas.  Mika said that the gloves came off. Willie said that they tore the skin off of Bloomberg.  In his estimation Elizabeth Warren took control.

Joe thinks that the biggest winners were Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump.  Joe wants to know why Bloomberg was not better prepared for the attacks on him.

Joe thinks Bernie Sanders is three weeks from locking up the nomination.

Branding expert Donnie Deutsch said Bloomberg has never had to answer to anyone, and that is a problem.  Ok, good point Donnie.  Usually I wonder why the hell he is there.

So, Joe and Mika's love affair with Bloomberg seems to be over after about two weeks.  

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 6

Wait a minute . . . I just started to pay attention . . . what on earth are these pre-taped messages from first Matthews and then Nicole Wallace about their thoughts?  For some reason I find them . . . odd.  I have zero problem with showing snippets from last night's coverage but special messages just for Morning Joe? . . . yikes.

As for Bloomberg not handling the fastballs being thrown at his head, gee a guy worth 55B dollars isn't used to being roughed up?  Stunning.  He owns a company that deals in data, the opposition research he must have on folks has to be staggering.  Can't wait to see the salvos he unloads in the next week or so.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

This was scary first hour. Before 6:30, it seemed like storm clouds were on the horizon and gathering steam.

By the time the Grenell story was covered and leading towards the end of the hour, it was like the black storm were overhead, shooting out lightning. 

• Love 1

Oooo Oooo Mika just said that Bloomberg should have come on MJ.  Was your invitation rebuffed, Mika?

So, Joe and Mika's love affair with Bloomberg seems to be over after about two week (cant access quote button)

Nope, going by their track record, they will regularly have him on the show,thus inflating his ratings and free TV coverage, and they will cap it off by flying to his resort mansion .

FYI, today I can see that last night Hallie Jackson was sporting some In Da Club-level false eyelashes.  Looked weird

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

This was scary first hour. Before the first 30 minutes ended, it seemed like storm clouds were on the horizon and gathering steam.

By the time the Grenell story was covered and leading towards the end of the hour, it was like the black storm were overhead, shooting out lightning. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Oooo Oooo Mika just said that Bloomberg should have come on MJ.  Was your invitation rebuffed, Mika?

Hee just saw the clip on Mediaite.  Speculation is that he did have an interview with Stephanie Ruhle . . . 😊

• Love 6

The debate last night was irritating. I lasted about 1/2 hour. The MJ discussion is actually well rounded by bringing on different people with different perspectives. I agree with Donnie's comments about wanting a more substantive discussion and not wanting to see an angry Sanders all the time. Not sure I can even hold my nose to vote for a couple of them. I am agreeing with Amy K. There was not enough discussion on solutions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

There was consensus this morning that there wasn't enough time spent or questions asked about national security. 

Why weren't top ace reporters Chuck Todd or Haley  Jackson on? They were moderating. Didn't they have some input on the questions? I fault them for allowing so much time to be spent on NDA's and how many houses candidates own.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

what on earth are these pre-taped messages from first Matthews and then Nicole Wallace about their thoughts? 

Maybe because management is now paying attention to us: We certainly can't count the hosts to provide any relevant insight. Did Mika get squirmy talking about the NDA's? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Maybe because management is now paying attention to us: We certainly can't count the hosts to provide any relevant insight. Did Mika get squirmy talking about the NDA's? 

I didn't actually see the NDA part but I did catch the handoff to Stephanie Ruhle and it was classic Mika.  She was lecturing Bloomberg about coming on shows "other than your friends" and then up pops the even more perkier than usual Stephanie with a big "Thanks Mika!" . . . hee!

Looks like the Scarborough's invitation to the genuinely rich kids party got lost in the mail (or maybe they were sent out when they were basking in the glow of Mar-a-Lago).

• LOL 4

I wonder if Bloomberg not appearing on MJ is the reason Joe went off so hard on him. 

I'm sure Joe & Mika could coach Mike on how to deflect from people pointing out his weaknesses. They have a decade of experience. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6

Mika is wearing a new black wrap. Joe said that people came up to him yesterday & were worried about Bloomberg not doing well at the debate.

They played a clip of Trump shouting random numbers.

The Russians are back. The DNI was pushed out because he spoke about Russians trying to infiltrate the election.

Trump is leading in Wisconsin. Joe said Trump could win the Presidency if he wins Wisconsin.

Joe called Grenell a partisan hack.

• Love 5

Mika and Joe are with Willie and Jeremy Bash.

Joe has verbal diarrhea.  He did four topics in a minute: Nevada caucus, Mick Mulvaney, Trump poll numbers, and the Russians. 

The acting director of national intelligence, Maguire, was pushed out. Richard Grennell is the new director of intelligence.  Mika did a breathless news reading about the drama over the removal.  She is insufferable when she gets going with the news reading.

Hans Nichols is kicking it outside the White House. Ken Dilanian says his sources are aghast about the removal of the intelligence director.  Ken isn't sure of all the details.  Ok, Ken. Hans states that Doug Collins of Georgia is under consideration.  He heard it on Air Force One, y'all!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Ken Dilanian talked about the sentencing of Roger Stone.  He states that the judge found that some of the recommended enhancements did not apply.  Ken wondered why William Barr interfered.  He says the judge repudiated the president for his tweets.

Joe is worried about the impression that Trump got his way with the reduced sentence.  But Ken claims the original sentencing recommendation was always considered harsh.

I wish they would stop with the ADHD style and actually follow up on shit.  I bet there will be an appeal in the Stone case, regarding the jury issues, and we will never ever hear about it. 

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 8

David Ignatius said that US allies are looking elsewhere if Trump is re elected.

Jeremy Bash is happy that the USA & the Taliban will reduce violence for one week.

Eugene Robinson will be a guest on the show! I wonder what he will say.

• Love 5

Eugene was shocked that the other candidates didn't go after Bernie Sanders at the debate.

Nicole Wallace wanted the Democrats to attack Sanders & leave Bloomberg alone.

The polls in South Carolina are almost tied between Bernie & Biden.

Biden's firewall in South Carolina is in danger.

Joe wants to know why moderates are fighting each other instead of Bernie.

Bernie is almost equal to Biden among African Americans in a national poll.

Bernie is learning how to behave in a black churches according to Joe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Joe said that John Kerry could enter the race on the second ballot if Bernie can't get a majority of the delegates.

Joe said that Bernie yells too much on stage.

The motto of today's show is that the Democrats are behaving like the Republican candidates in 2016.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Joe made fun of Trump not liking Parasite as an Oscar winning movie.

Mika said that she didn't watch any of the movies that were nominated for the Oscars.

Mika made several verbal & facial tics during the movie discussion. It was hilarious. She was mumbling various words while Joe & Willie were talking.

She couldn't figure out why Trump was making fun of Brad Pitt.

It's strange that Mika & Joe are using separate cameras today but are in the same room

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

Mika and Joe are with Willie and Jeremy Bash.

Joe has verbal diarrhea.  He did four topics in a minute: Nevada caucus, Mick Mulvaney, Trump poll numbers, and the Russians. 

The acting director of national intelligence, Maguire, was pushed out. Richard Grennell is the new director of intelligence.  Mika did a breathless news reading about the drama over the removal.  She is insufferable when she gets going with the news reading.

Hans Nichols is kicking it outside the White House. Ken Dilanian says his sources are aghast about the removal of the intelligence director.  Ken isn't sure of all the details.  Ok, Ken. Hans states that Doug Collins of Georgia is under consideration.  He heard it on Air Force One, y'all!

Doug Collins for DNI chief?  Perfection . . . wow.

I love Hans, I wish he could shove Dilanian off the screen (even though they aren't anywhere near each other).  He needs to be granted that Super Power.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, oakville said:

Bernie is learning how to behave in a black churches according to Joe.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this offensive when Joe speaks like this?  Behave?  Sorry that just hits me at the wrong angle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe said that John Kerry could enter the race on the second ballot if Bernie can't get a majority of the delegates.

Joe said that Bernie yells too much on stage.

The motto of today's show is that the Democrats are behaving like the Republican candidates in 2016.

The motto should be, what is left of either party doesn't understand just how much the game has changed and how far the PTB have been left in the dust.  It's a free for all out there and sadly it all comes down to financing.  John Kerry on the second ballot?  What?

And Joe says Bernie yells too much?  I guess projection is Joe's friend today.

25 minutes ago, oakville said:

It's strange that Mika & Joe are using separate cameras today but are in the same room

Fake news!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Joe wonders why Trump chose to praise Gone with the Wind and bash Parasite.

A film that looks fondly on the era of slavery and a foreign language film. It's not that complicated Joe.

4 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find this offensive when Joe speaks like this? 

Its not just you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Joe considers himself to be one of America's most widely respected experts on African American voting patterns. He knew that African American voters might switch their support to Bernie Sanders after Biden stumbled.

Joe reminded viewers that he was right that Obama would become popular with African American voters.

Joe grew up in several southern states. Joe attended desegregated schools & was popular with all racial groups.

He has frequently stated that politicians have to be able to attend African American churches & participate in the services in order to be taken seriously with the community.

Joe has written & performed many gospel songs.

• LOL 11

There were more glamor shots of Mika & Joe today. Joe is wearing orange pants in one of them.

Joe started talking about interviewing players from the 1977 Atlanta Braves. Mika wanted to know where Joe was getting this idea.

Willie will be interviewing Al Pacino on Sunday Today. Mika said she had heard of him .

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Mika said that she didn't watch any of the movies that were nominated for the Oscars.

This is just about the most needless statement ever posted here.

There were more glamor shots of Mika & Joe today. Joe is wearing orange pants in one of them.

If those pants were a soft "Nantucket red" than that is an old photo.  Because Joe grew up on a beachfront compound in Nantucket, Imean the Florida Panhandle.

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika said she had heard of him .

Please tell me she was joking. Because if she is acting like she's only "heard" of Al Pacino and is not aware of the impact he had on film making then I AM going to walk to Jupiter Florida and punch her. 

I'm sorry but enough is enough with this "I'm too smart to know about an art form that has had such significant impact on the 20th & 21st centuries".   

I mean he was only in Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather films, Serpico, Panic in Needle Park, The Insider, Heat, Glengarry Glen Ross, Donny Brasco, Scarface, and if she's so high and mighty and wants to pretend to be "smart" check out Looking for Richard, the film he made where he staged Richard III as a documentary,  he spoke to people on the street and Shakespearean scholars about Shakespeare's influence on pop culture. It is fucking brilliant. And the cast is top notch.  

AARRGHH!!! 

I know too much is made of the celebrity of acting, but there truly is something to admire to the work and dedication of making films. 

Unlike a nitwit sitting in her basement trying to read a paragraph her staff emailed her from the Washington Post. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I mean he was only in Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather films, Serpico, Panic in Needle Park, The Insider, Heat, Glengarry Glen Ross, Donny Brasco, Scarface, and if she's so high and mighty and wants to pretend to be "smart" check out Looking for Richard, the film he made where he staged Richard III as a documentary,  he spoke to people on the street and Shakespearean scholars about Shakespeare's influence on pop culture. It is fucking brilliant. And the cast is top notch.  

Mika said that she did watch part one of the Godfather films but found it too predictable.

Anand Gridhas came on the show to complain about Billionaires being too involved in the election.

Joe disagreed with Anand.

Joe said that Bloomberg was not prepared for the debate.

• Love 4

Noah Rothman complained about pundits vetting presidential candidates.

Both parties have lost control of the process.

Joe said Reagan,Clinton & Obama were excellent candidates for President.

This is revisionist thinking. Joe complained about Obama not having enough experience to be President. He was shocked that Clinton won in 1992.

2 minutes ago, suomi said:

My reaction was "Welp, he hasn't heard of her."

WHEN is she going to fall? Never? Shit's gettin' old. Barf.

I wonder if Al Pacino watches Morning Joe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, oakville said:

No. She complains that she almost always knows the ending of a movie, so she finds them boring to watch.

Mika isn't smart enough to figure out the plot of an episode of Three's Company, let alone The Godfather. I guarantee that moron never read the book.  You cannot tell me she knew that horse's head would be in the bed. 

The dread of knowing what could be coming in The Godfather is part of the experience. 

I don't know why I'm so angry other than I am just over this fucking idiot pissing on everything anyone else enjoys.  How does Joe, who loves sports and movies, put up with her?   Other than she worships him (ie his money & power)  and that's what he wants in a woman. 

I would love for them to dare to have Ben Mankiewicz of TCM on to discuss films and  the art of film making, and watch his head explode when she starts bad mouthing movies. His grandfather wrote Citizen Kane.  See that one coming, Mika?  Do you even know who Kane represented in the film? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Mika isn't smart enough to figure out the plot of an episode of Three's Company, let alone The Godfather. I guarantee that moron never read the book.  You cannot tell me she knew that horse's head would be in the bed. 

The dread of knowing what could be coming in The Godfather is part of the experience. 

I don't know why I'm so angry other than I am just over this fucking idiot pissing on everything anyone else enjoys.  How does Joe, who loves sports and movies, put up with her?   Other than she worships him (ie his money & power)  and that's what he wants in a woman. 

I would love for them to dare to have Ben Mankiewicz of TCM on to discuss films and  the art of film making, and watch his head explode when she starts bad mouthing movies. His grandfather wrote Citizen Kane.  See that one coming, Mika?  Do you even know who Kane represented in the film? 

Morning Joe used to have film makers on the show like Rob Reiner & Nora Ephron.

There were also actors that like Bradley Cooper showed up to discuss their movies, but Mika botched the interview and called the movie, the A Squad instead of the A Team.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Romeo and Juliet's prologue tells you pretty much the entire story.

I guess she thinks Shakespeare was a hack.

Mika said that Shakespeare was long winded and that  his books were filled with  complicated language. Mika said that he needed a better editor.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, oakville said:

No. She complains that she almost always knows the ending of a movie, so she finds them boring to watch.

And to think I passed this up to run to Walmart . . . seriously. I am starting to think it's time to call in the Sweet Meteor of Death again . . . sigh.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika said that Shakespeare was long winded and that  his books were filled with  complicated language. Mika said that he needed a better editor.

Ok, this has suddenly gone from incredibly funny to incredibly angry.  I've become immune to Meeks tearing things/people down to make herself feel better but to start attacking the classics?  You know, like the pillars of our society?  What/who does that remind you of?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Mika said that she did watch part one of the Godfather films but found it too predictable.

She prefers Akira Kurosawa and Jean-Luc Godard.  If you watch to  the very end of MJ, after the credits roll, a black and white screen says "FIN."

• LOL 7
  • Love 2