Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

8/2/2017 - Looks like everyone on the panel got the "Blue!" memo.  And the lovebirds are wearing matching baby blue shirts.  How adorable.  If Meek-a throws on a charcoal gray sweater over hers I might spit up a little.  Seriously, why do they do this every stinking day?  I realize Meek-a is clueless about what's in / out but have couples wearing matching duds ever been in??

It's Blue Wednesday on Morning Joe because they are Blue ( Sad?) over Trump's lies.

Mika went over about 5 lies that happened yesterday involving Trump.

Joe was in a bellowing mood. He bragged that he stood up to Newt in Congress. Joe was part of the group of GOP who didn't go along with Newt. Joe said other GOP's like Jodi Ernst & Flake are standing up to Trump.

The panel was  furious that Trump helped draft a memo about the meeting with the Evil Russian Adoption Lawyer.

Joe said he never called Trump to kill the National Enquirer story about their affair. Did he call Jared?

Mika made faces at camera. Mika is not  wearing a cardigan yet.

Joe wants Kelly to quit working for Trump if Trump lies to him.

Joe is mad that Trump lied about the Boy Scouts liking his speech.

The panel is happy that no one likes the transgender ban.

The panel is upset about Seth Rich. He was not killed by Hillary's cronies. It was a botched robbery.

I am happy that the men on the panel found out about the Buy 3 get 2 free Blazers at Mens Wearhouse.

• Love 7

There were 3 young women who liked Joe's song Mystefied & clapped. It was a clip. Mika loved Mysteified. Who are these three sisters? Why are they playing Joe's song ?. Mika said Mystified is officially released.

One week ago, Mystified had received 152 Shazams. Now it is up to 247!. A top song would get over 1 million.

There is an entire segment devoted to Joe's song and the three young girls that like Joe's song. Wow!

The interns are leaking Boy Diplomat Jared 's speech about the Middle East. The panel is mocking Jared for not knowing anything about the Middle East. Mika made a scrunchy face over Jared. Joe is shouting again about no one knowing history of the Middle East

• Love 2

Joe said Obama had no clue what to do about Iran. Joe said Obama forgot about history. The Middle East is complicated. Joe said there were several religions involved& you have to know the 1967 boundaries.

It's amusing to watch Mika & Joe bash King Jared. He was their best source of gossip until a few months ago.

Joe is mad that Tillerson refused $80M to fight Russian & ISIS Propaganda.

• Love 1

Joe was in a bellowing mood.

Mika made faces at camera. 

Oakville, in MS Word I am able to make an Auto Complete entry for phrases that I often type.  Could you do this for the above 2 phrases, and then you could take 3 minutes off your recap time each AM!

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Oakville, in MS Word I am able to make an Auto Complete entry for phrases that I often type.  Could you do this for the above 2 phrases, and then you could take 3 minutes off your recap time each AM!

Can I do that on an iPhone 6? 

• Love 1

The first five minutes of the show I kept wondering "JoMika knows we can hear them, right? They see the red light on the camera? "

It just seemed they were babbling about spanking/not spanking kids, Joe thinking say "you're lying" means he's Mr. Hipster Down with the Teen Lingo. 

I thought that Butowsky guy only said he was working for the Rich family, that they have stated they did not hire him. 

I cannot believe Trump would get involved with this lie about Rich's murder. I mean I can believe it but Jesus H Christ, man.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Is this different from his bloviating mood?

1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Is this different from his bloviating mood?

Yes. I use the term Bellowing when he shouts & roars over everyone else.

I use the term Bloviate when Joe brags about his time in Congress. Ssometimes Joe does both at the same time.

Joe also has a habit of mentioning states that Trump won in the election slowly. Joe will say something like his healthcare plan will cost him votes in Iowa....& Michigan & ....Pennsylvania. 

• Love 2

Joe, etc (except Willie who spoke the truth) stop lamenting people throwing their self respect out the door to work for a serial liar.

I can't wait till John Kelly has to hire a lawyer

• Love 5

Bloomberg and Blankfein's appearance on this show was appalling. They both point to the Dow Jones as evidence that the economy is doing just hunky-dory while ignoring the proven fact that only the top 2-3% of the wealthholders of this country benefit from these gains. And when Barnicle gently pushed on the anxiety of the working and middle classes who are getting left our, Blankfein's response is that a good economy creates wealth and distributes wealth and we shouldn't get too hung up on the latter at the expense of the former.

When the murderous starving hordes home-invade his multiple properties and eat his grandchildren in the upcoming dystopia, I hope I'm still around to laugh.

And sorry, throwing $10 million (rounding error to Goldman Sachs) to start nail salons in Baltimore  isn't going to solve anything.

The three women they cut to praising Joe's music is a band called Haim. Not my cup of tea but I did laugh that the show spent a good chunk of time talking about Joe's music at the expense of discussing Barnicle's suckjob piece on General Kelly (he's from Bahstin, doncha know?)

• Love 6

I'm absurdly happy Willie is back and yet I feel like he seems more at home (and happier) doing Sunday Today and filling in over on daily Today. The grind of mediating all politics, all the time with the overload of the Trump administration on Morning Joe has to start to wear after a while.

And I agree with the poster about Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  She's in a crappy job, but her deadpan Kanye shrug reactions and comments are great and unlike poor Sean doesn't allow herself to become flustered and too overwhelmed. And she shows up looking professional and polished but not overtly glammed up for the cameras.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

I'm absurdly happy Willie is back and yet I feel like he seems more at home (and happier) doing Sunday Today and filling in over on daily Today. The grind of mediating all politics, all the time with the overload of the Trump administration on Morning Joe has to start to wear after a while.

And I agree with the poster about Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  She's in a crappy job, but her deadpan Kanye shrug reactions and comments are great and unlike poor Sean doesn't allow herself to become flustered and too overwhelmed. And she shows up looking professional and polished but not overtly glammed up for the cameras.

I like Willies Sunday show. He does good interviews. 

Why would Haim care about Joe's music?

Barnicle should retire. 

52 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

She seems dead inside. Like she knows she's getting paid to go out there and lie and that's what she does, without any big emotional moral quandaries.

• Love 15

Barnicle's suckjob piece on General Kelly

HEE!!  I wish sometime you would tell us how you really feel, Mumbles.  And then a discourse ensued about when Trump does Trump, will Kelly put his foot down and stand up for himself/resign or go along with the flow?  Can you think of a more USELESS conversation?  Trump will do Trump (lie, obfuscate, get nothing done, Tweet, preen, threaten) and nothing will stop this shitshow carnival until Jan 2020 (or earlier I pray)

She seems dead inside. Like she knows she's getting paid to go out there and lie and that's what she does, without any big emotional moral quandaries.

You could always tell that Spicey knew he was lying and would almost frantically stumble over the lies.  Sanders goes out and shovels the shit in a straightforward unassuming manner, not overly concerned that what she made up today contradicted what she made up yesterday.  Her Mother must have had an intersting time with her as a girl.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

I notice that she looks down a lot and avoids looking straight at the reporter asking the question. Her mind must be working on how to deflect and/or lie about the question. She's defensive, monotonous, and unpleasant, and if she mentions her three preschool children under the age of six again ( so much chaos compared to the White House is what she said the other day), I will upchuck.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 13
50 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

You could always tell that Spicey knew he was lying and would almost frantically stumble over the lies.  Sanders goes out and shovels the shit in a straightforward unassuming manner, not overly concerned that what she made up today contradicted what she made up yesterday.  Her Mother must have had an intersting time with her as a girl.

I have found the ease with which she lies chilling. Spicer was a bag of garbage but yeah, I wonder if the testy personality was a result of the stress he was feeling - not saying he felt bad for lying, just that he might have been worried that he'd get caught.

This may be cruel, but given Trump's noted attitude toward heavy people (snort - as if he's one to talk) and his outrageous standards of female pulchritude, I won't be surprised if we start noticing that Ms. Sanders is losing weight.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, oakville said:

It's Blue Wednesday on Morning Joe because they are Blue ( Sad?) over Trump's lies.

You could write an entire book with all the lies Trump and his administration have told so far.

OT:  Does anyone know when the comments section will be available again on MSN.com?

• Love 1

^^^ This.  That's why I don't understand how Joe could say this morning that when trump lies to Kelly, Kelly will quit.

Kelly knew he was working for a liar, he supposedly wanted to quit over the Comey firing and still he took a job in the White House so he could be closer to him.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 5

This show's beatification of Kelly as some sort of honorable Gregory Peck type has boggled my mind. He didn't resign over the Muslim ban. I won't go so far as to say that ICE has devolved into an army of thugs, but I'm getting there. 

And frankly I am uneasy with the idea of a military guy running the White House. Yeah he's retired but he spent his entire life in that institution and probably still has a lot of ties to it.

Oh and to save you the time, I read the Barnicle piece and it boils down to sentimental tripe about Kelly's uncle being a WWII vet, Kelly joining the Marines Kelly's kids joining the military, and everyone in Kelly's neighborhood being vets. It is funny how people like Barnicle - who was never in the armed forces, nor has his kids - are often the biggest boosters of the idea of  military service being the paradigm of human virtue (but for someone other than himself or his kids.)

• Love 2

It is funny how people like Barnicle - who was never in the armed forces, nor has his kids - are often the biggest boosters of the idea of  military service being the paradigm of human virtue (but for someone other than himself or his kids.)

Yeah, thank you for YOUR service. (not mine or my kids, thankyouverymuch)

This may be cruel, but given Trump's noted attitude toward heavy people (snort - as if he's one to talk) and his outrageous standards of female pulchritude, I won't be surprised if we start noticing that Ms. Sanders is losing weight.

If she has 3 kids under 6, then WHOA! she has the right to be a size 14 or whatever.  Nevertheless,  any day now Trump will accuse her of hacking into the elections from her bed in New Jersey.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Eliot said:

She brings up her kids during the press conferences all the time. History will show the kids that their mother was lying for a sociopath in the White House. 

• Love 5

I detest SHSanders.  Soooo cold. And mean about inserting little snide remarks abt dems or reporters....saying that one reporter was being sarcastic abt saying her name,Sarah, when asking her question.  NOT. MEAN girl par excellance. 

That kid, Pickle"s, letter? Barf.  

Lying  and baring her hateful stares at the reporters continuously throughout her time at the podium. She looks as though she HATES her job and them. 

Go home to your kids conservative fucking mom.  What a stone cold piece of snot.

• Love 9

I hate her, too.  She has that look on her face that says "I know you know I'm lying and I don't give a shit that I'm lying and, by the way, you can't touch me!  Yawn." 

A "stone cold piece of snot," indeed.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

This show's beatification of Kelly as some sort of honorable Gregory Peck type has boggled my mind.

Meh. They beatified Tillerson too. Now they characterize him as a hapless fool who doesn't know how Washington works. Which is true, but it was just as true when they were beatifying him.

• Love 5

Meh. They beatified Tillerson too. Now they characterize him as a hapless fool who doesn't know how Washington works. Which is true, but it was just as true when they were beatifying him.

Very true. They were gaga over Tillerson.

They all seem to have a crush over Mattis still. 

• Love 5

Thursday Recap. Everybody gets a Blazer today!. Mika got a a dark blue blazer from Joe. Joe is wearing a coral top. Kasie! got a blazer too. Believe it or not but the panel actually discussed a few interesting policies like immigration, the stock market, the 2018 election. working class job.

However, in keeping with their motto to mock Trump, Mika started sarcastically mentioning 2 numbers. 22,000 & 33%. Joe pretended not to know what the numbers meant. 22,000 is the level of the Dow Jones & 33% is Trump's approval a record low. The panel was giddy about Trump's low approval rating. John Podcasthurts said the GOP base is starting to leave Trump.Lan Hee Chen was also on the panel.

Joe said people are mad at Trump because nothing is getting done. Joe is excited about Lisa Murkowski & Jeff Flake challenging him. Joe thinks they have a chance to take away the nomination from Trump.

PodCastHurtz said if the Democrats get a 10 seat majority in 2018 they will impeach Trump. The Senate won't convict him though.

Joe loves the Democrat Ads. He loved the Top Gun lady from Kentucky yesterday. The plan is to have candidates run based on popular movies.

Joe said Democrats are clueless. Ratner said Centrists are like the French Resistance.

Joe defended the GOP for saying that low skilled immigratnts hurts white working wages.

Joe said immigrants depress wages.

Kasie made a good point. There are 209 Democratic challengers up from 42. They might not support the Pelosi leadership. Joe mocked the Democrats better deal hamburger ad.

Mika supports Accosta . She hates Miller. The rest of the panel agreed that Miller won the debate with Acosta. The Examiner guy said that many countries have english speaking people , not just the UK & Australia.

Mika acknowledged getting too personal with Trump but she did not blame herself. Everyone gets personal with Trump.

Hillary lost because of Goldman Sachs according to one panelist.

Joe pretended not to understand tha a rising stock market helps people. Joe has no clue about people that have 401Ks or have pensions funded by the stock market.

Joe doesn't realize he works for a publicly traded company.

Ratner came on to explain a biyt about Trump. They only counted job gains from October 2010 vs Trump on Day 1. Ratner sheepisjly admotted the market was high when Trump got elected.

Joe said the market is up because they expect pro growth policies & lower taxes.

Joe wants more cultural conservatives to run as Democrats in the South. He wants to Democrats to support Pro Life policies. Didn't Perez ban pro life candidates from running  a few months ago?

The Green Card lottery will be cut in half. The Trump plan will be similar to Canada which has points system based on education & language skills.

Joe wants to allow people from foreign countries that graduate from US universities to stay.

Jeremy Peters had to be separated from Joe because the smell from their hair gel was causing Ratner to faint.

Mika bashed the letter from Pickle. The kid said he liked Trump. Mika caller Muslim Ban Guy rude.

Mika hated the monotone Sarah Huckabee Sanders delivery.

Mika doesn't like the way she reads froma teleprompter.

There are about 15 people on the panel. Crol Lee joins the set. Trump blew up at a meeting over afghanistan.

• Love 5

Today on "Meet an Idiot" we have Tom Cotton who doesn't remotely understand how immigration, employment or the economy works.

He comes up with some "throw red meat to the base cos I'm thinking about challenging Trump in 2020" bullshit idea, and if you disagree with him based on actual facts, you're uninformed. 

This "immigrants are taking jobs from working class folks" bullshit is getting really old, GOP.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Hillary lost because of Goldman Sachs according to one panelist.

I think it was Barnicle? Which is a laugh because his bank executive wife attended one of those very expensive fundraisers on Cape Cod Hillary attended last summer.

Best moment of the show was when Joe pointed out that the Dems managed to nominate a person who polled worse in trustworthiness than Trump and Mika said the party should have never anointed her. Especially in context of their discussion on whether the Dems will blow it again.

• Love 2

The panel keeps harping on what will happen when a disaster strikes and no one trusts Mr. Lying Liar.

The lying segment was interesting because everyone admits this jerk will lie about anything.

I'm afraid that a disaster could turn him into a hero. Hell, even on 9/11, when democrats were still pissed about the 2000 election, they rallied around Bush.

Meacham thinks Trump's doomed and cannot be saved no matter what. I hope he's right.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, stormy said:

The panel keeps harping on what will happen when a disaster strikes and no one trusts Mr. Lying Liar.

The lying segment was interesting because everyone admits this jerk will lie about anything.

I'm afraid that a disaster could turn him into a hero. Hell, even on 9/11, when democrats were still pissed about the 2000 election, they rallied around Bush.

Meacham thinks Trump's doomed and cannot be saved no matter what. I hope he's right.

This panel has amnesia. A few ago, the panel loved Trump when he launched a few cruise missiles at Syria. All it takes is Trump blowing up Notth Korea & Joe will switch sides again. Joe will bash Obama as a wimp. & praise Trump for being a strong leader

• Love 2
1 minute ago, WhineandCheez said:

I have been hearing on this station (Can't remember if on MJ though) that non- Republicans are saying Trump really can win re-election.  I just do not get it at all, whatsoever.

The conventional wisdom is that Presidents get reelected in a time of war, like W even if the domestic policies are unpopular. Clinton beat Bush Sr with the help of Perot in 92&. 96.

• Love 1

A few ago, the panel loved Trump when he launched a few cruise missiles at Syria.

That was gross. I think David Ignatius was on that day and gushing how this was a "pivot point" for Trump. They were all gaga when Trump shouted out a war widow during his state of the union. It doesn't take much to turn these idiots into mush.

I have been hearing on this station (Can't remember if on MJ though) that non- Republicans are saying Trump really can win re-election.  I just do not get it at all, whatsoever.

Last week, when Bret Stephens was on, someone in that discussion - I forget if it was Stephens or whoever was on with him - said that if Trump doesn't resign, get convicted on impeachment, or die, he very well could win re-election. It's very early for that kind of talk but when the Dems come out with milquetoast stuff like "A Better Deal" it is completely plausible.

Clinton beat Bush Sr with the help of Perot in 92&. 96.

Some would argue that in 1992, Perot stole votes from Clinton because they both drew from voters unsatisfied with Bush. And I doubt Clinton needed Perot's help in 1996; the rationale of the Dole campaign was "It's his turn" (sound familiar?).

1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I think it was Barnicle? Which is a laugh because his bank executive wife attended one of those very expensive fundraisers on Cape Cod Hillary attended last summer.

Best moment of the show was when Joe pointed out that the Dems managed to nominate a person who polled worse in trustworthiness than Trump and Mika said the party should have never anointed her. Especially in context of their discussion on whether the Dems will blow it again.

Very true! Barnicle pretends to be the voice of the people with kitchen table problems. However, he never disclosed his wife's job. Harold Ford Jr is never introduced as working on Wall Stret.

i liked Kasie bringing up an upcoming divide between the Hillary wing of the party, & the Bernie Sanders wing. Will the Democrats become more progressive? 

Joe was practically salivating at Mrs Top Gun running for Congress in Kentucky.

Kadie wasn't happy with Ossof before the election. She warned The Blazer Panel in March that he wasn't authentic. Mika thought Ossof would win hands down. He blew $30m. Kasie is right. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Last week, when Bret Stephens was on, someone in that discussion - I forget if it was Stephens or whoever was on with him - said that if Trump doesn't resign, get convicted on impeachment, or die, he very well could win re-election. It's very early for that kind of talk but when the Dems come out with milquetoast stuff like "A Better Deal" it is completely plausible.

Plausible?  It's nearly a certainty.

36 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika thought Ossof would win hands down. He blew $30m. Kasie is right. 

He blew $30M?  I thought it was the Democratic money machine and private donors that furnished the $30M.

• Love 2

On Chris Matthews' show, he keeps asking his panelists what they think will happen: Trump doesn't finish one term; Trump only has one term; or Trump gets re-elected and has two terms. The first time I heard him ask this question, only one of the panelists said Trump would be re-elected, but last night all three said he could be (if not would be). It's as if they are all parroting the same thing and are covering their bets. I should also add that the times I heard Matthews ask this, all the panelists were on the young side. I mention that because, I think older journalists and pundits, having lived through both Nixon and the attempts to impeach Clinton, see the possibility of it happening again, more than the younger ones who are used to egregious behavior being either accepted or swept away by the next news cycle.

• Love 1

Joe? Do you know what also drives down wages for working class Americans? Union busting. Offshoring. Monopolies. Businesses accountable to shareholders, not workers, and therefore looking to snip, snip, snip at wages, benefits, etc. Also, say we stop all these horrible hombres who pick fruit from daring to live the Neil Diamond song. You want to tell a steelworker to get thee to the strawberry fields for the best working conditions and wages evah? Drink some more Starbucks - that must be decaf in your giant plastic tumbler because you also forgot to say "President Bannon" when you had the chance. 

Though you're right to mercilessly mock the Dem's new "message." That really is a piece of shite.

Why did they move Peters to the boilerplate Wargames looking room?  Was he on his way to take a leak after drinking his mug of water and they suddenly realized they wanted his input, so threw him in to closest available room? He was only about a 6 on the Paul Mitchell for Men hair gel today and he went for the wet -n- wild wayward slicks instead of high royal pompadour.  Anyway, shocking to see him rein in the snooty disdain a bit when he asked Senator Durbin (a Dem) his questions. Durbin did a good job responding, I thought. 

Oh. Cotton. Goodbye. I'm so out. I want my click back.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Today on "Meet an Idiot" we have Tom Cotton who doesn't remotely understand how immigration, employment or the economy works.

That was un fucking believable.  His segment was so deeply depressing.  Apparently numbers show that Americans have most of America's jobs, so we don't need immigrants we need to pay white people more because something.  Smart, Senator Cotton.  Rill smrt.

Joe was so greasily disingenuous when he compared Clinton's trust numbers to Trump's.  It's so fucking laughable.  Since 1994 the right wing has been screaming that Hillary is a liar and an enemy to their agenda.  Then it really got organized when the Internet coalesced and Fox News found its voice.  Despite her total lack of lies and zero evidence of anything, fucking idiots think she's not trustworthy.  She's had 9 Congressional investigations into Benghazi, and AG and the FBI investigate her emails.  Nothing.  But still she's the liar.  Trump lies to everyone's face over things that are immediately, visibly verifiable, but he's not as bad as Hillary.
Goes to show what an absolutely shitty job the Dems do in directing public discourse and propaganda.  And, a byproduct of that is verifiable proof there is no such thing as collusion between media and organized liberal political groups.  MSNBC is not the analogue of Fox.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Apparently numbers show that Americans have most of America's jobs, so we don't need immigrants we need to pay white people more because something.  Smart, Senator Cotton.  Rill smrt.

I'd like to introduce Tom Cotton to the men who work for my apt complex landscaping company. I needed them to mulch a couple beds and had to find the supervisor, as he was the only person who spoke English. 

And I can guarantee you Tom, that even though yes there are some "Americans" working for that company, 90% of the employees are Hispanic. And THEY WORK THEIR ASSES OFF.

I'm pretty sure if Americans wanted those jobs, the company would be happy to hire them.   The web site says competitive salary and benefits. even for crew members. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Plausible?  It's nearly a certainty.

He blew $30M?  I thought it was the Democratic money machine and private donors that furnished the $30M.

Ossof had access to $30m from the Democrat donors & DNC. During the campaign , Joe mocked him from wasting money on glitzy tv ads. Joe said you need to knock on doors & physically escort people to the polls. It's a specific district, not a statewide race.

2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

That was gross. I think David Ignatius was on that day and gushing how this was a "pivot point" for Trump. They were all gaga when Trump shouted out a war widow during his state of the union. It doesn't take much to turn these idiots into mush.

Some would argue that in 1992, Perot stole votes from Clinton because they both drew from voters unsatisfied with Bush. And I doubt Clinton needed Perot's help in 1996; the rationale of the Dole campaign was "It's his turn" (sound familiar?).

I was watching the CNN series the nineties. Perot & Buchanans campaign themes against free trade & illegal immigration is similar to Trump's campaign. Perot took votes that would mostly vote GOP. Clinton also did well in the South. He ran as a southern governor. 

Joe should remember this. Pat Buchanan had Barnicle job on the set many years ago. 

4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

He comes up with some "throw red meat to the base cos I'm thinking about challenging Trump in 2020" bullshit idea, and if you disagree with him based on actual facts, you're uninformed. 

This "immigrants are taking jobs from working class folks" bullshit is getting really old, GOP.  

I just could not follow his logic. He wants to limit immigration to make all those slaughterhouse and lettuce-picking jobs available to Americans, arguing that if the jobs pay enough Americans will do the work. That's a dubious assumption to be begin with, but even if that were true, wouldn't the labor costs then drive up consumer prices? I mean, that's the argument he and his ilk use against increasing the minimum wage!

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I just could not follow his logic. He wants to limit immigration to make all those slaughterhouse and lettuce-picking jobs available to Americans, arguing that if the jobs pay enough Americans will do the work. That's a dubious assumption to be begin with, but even if that were true, wouldn't the labor costs then drive up consumer prices? I mean, that's the argument he and his ilk use against increasing the minimum wage!

Several Southern states have already tried that.  They've enacted laws to drive away migrant farm workers and the result is that crops spoil because there aren't people to harvest them.  There was even a story about some white unemployed workers trying to pick crops.  They were paid by how much they picked, instead of an hourly rate.  In the heat, none of them lasted the whole week.  And none of them could pick as much as Hispanic workers, who were efficient enough to earn the equivalent of $20 a hour.

Then there was a meat processing plant down there.  Once the undocumented workers were driven out, the company couldn't find American replacements because people smelled that factory once and they gave up.

• Love 9

I wonder if anyone in the studio was even listening to Cotton and were just watching the clock tick to the next break.  No one said, 'huh, wait.  wha??"
He said there needs to be a higher minimum wage... without saying it.  Ok then.  Let's get on that.  Perhaps that's an accommodation that the right will make to the left... let them enact racist, classist, xenophobic immigration (and presumably policing) laws, and the left gets to raise the minimum wage.
'Murica!  That shining beacon on the hill!

Tom Cotton has probably been punched in the face 20,000 times.  He is the kind of smug prick who apparently dares you to punch is face.

• Love 4

Kudos to Mika for smacking down every swinging dick on that set this morning re: Jim Acosta.   What a sickening group grope between Scarborough and every other guy on that panel who simply oozed jealousy of Acosta, that he was the one on center stage, he was the one getting national attention, and NOT THEM.  Timothy Carney being the worst of the bunch, with Scarborough shamelessly competing to top him.

Ugh.   I don't envy her having to slice through all that B.S. alone.

• Love 5

wonder if anyone in the studio was even listening to Cotton and were just watching the clock tick to the next break.  No one said, 'huh, wait.  wha??"
He said there needs to be a higher minimum wage... without saying it.  Ok then.  Let's get on that.  Perhaps that's an accommodation that the right will make to the left... let them enact racist, classist, xenophobic immigration (and presumably policing) laws, and the left gets to raise the minimum wage.
'Murica!  That shining beacon on the hill!

I thought Ratner pushed back on him. But he was told he's misinformed.