Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I do think that Elise Jordan ( Marcia Brady look a like) made a good point that Obama had off the record interviews with journalists and invited them to parties etc. 

Obama never had NYE galas where he sold tickets for multi-thousand dollars. Off the record working lunches and dinners aren't remotely the same. I'm so tired of the Republicans and their immediate 'but Obama did it too' whine whenever a valid objective complaint about Trump's behaviour is raised.

• Love 8

Tuesday Recap Joe is wearing a pink shirt with a navy blazer. Marcie,Chartman,Halperin on the set.

First topic: Alabama OC is quitting. Joe was upset. Everyone on the panel played along with Joe.

Second Topic: Joe admitted to having dinner with Trump at Mar a Largo the night before the big party. Trump was discussing big deals with a Dubai billionaire. Rather was upset about Trump violating ethics laws.

long discussion of the GOP voting to limit the power of the ethics committee. This is very bad optics.Joe said Paul Ryan should get them to overturn the law. 

The panel wants Trump to sell his business to the kids.

Ratner has charts about the legacy of Obama. Unemployment down.Stock market up. Income up a bit. 

The democrats should be doing much better but they lost seats in Congress,Senate,legislative seats etc. No national message. It's an Obama party.

the panel was upset that Obama didn't help other Democrats get elected.

kasie Hunt said middle class voters are upset that they don't get subsidies to pay for Obamacare. 

There was a new guest keel father Sanneh from the New Yorker discussing Trumpism.

Joe is busy defending Trump. H is a moderate who likeShumer. Joe said Trump is closer to Democrats than to McConnell.

• Love 4

I could have hugged Elise Jordan when she pointed out how classist Joe, Ratner et al's argument that selling all his businesses (to his kids) is a sacrifice for Trump. As Jordan pointed out, the kids who join the military in the service of their country give up a lot more. Joe tried to save face and claim he was just playing devil's advocate when he talked up Trump's "sacrifice." Yeah right. Too bad I've heard him make similar arguments before.

Elise may not be a bad addition to this show. She had good questions for the New Yorker writer about his Trump article. Her former boss Rand Paul has managed to maintain some dignity and has not jumped on the Trump train, yet. But I will reserve my judgment.

• Love 6

Having said that, his reaction to the whole thing is embarrassingly over the top. He is acting like a petulant child. 

8:15 Am EST Joe makes another Petulant Child Comment about his not being at the Trump party.  

If I start a Paypal account to seek therapy to find out why I loathe and detest KAC so much, would you contribute? She used the word "specious" (in a replay of an Anderson Cooper interview) and I start screaming at the Sirius while driving in traffic, coffee cup in hand. Looking inside myself, I would want to think that if she was a man with overly processed blonde hair I would feel the same way??  That said, Kate McKinnon on SNL is doing a spot-on caricature of her each week. 

Oakville, I'm wearing a vintage silk chartreuse and magenta scarf today.  What religion am I?

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I could have hugged Elise Jordan when she pointed out how classist Joe, Ratner et al's argument that selling all his businesses (to his kids) is a sacrifice for Trump. As Jordan pointed out, the kids who join the military in the service of their country give up a lot more. Joe tried to save face and claim he was just playing devil's advocate when he talked up Trump's "sacrifice." Yeah right. Too bad I've heard him make similar arguments before.

It infuriated me that Joe tried to equate book royalties (which apply to work that has already been completed and published) with Trump's ongoing, nefarious, shady-ass global business dealings. He is not so stupid that he doesn't see the difference; he just doesn't want to. If Trump was so attached to his businesses that giving them up would be such a hardship, then maybe he SHOULDN'T HAVE RUN FOR PRESIDENT. Believe me, the world would have breathed a huge sigh of relief.

And I agree that Joe's "back down" was just done to save face. He got trounced by Ratner (who stated that he himself had gotten rid of all of his businesses when he joined the government) and Jordan and he realized it.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 10
49 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Elise may not be a bad addition to this show. She had good questions for the New Yorker writer about his Trump article. Her former boss Rand Paul has managed to maintain some dignity and has not jumped on the Trump train, yet. But I will reserve my judgment.

Agreed. I prefer Elise Jordan to Nicole Cackles Wallace. Her husband died in a mysterious car accident

• Love 1

I prefer Elise Jordan to Nicole Cackles Wallace. Her husband died in a mysterious car accident

Wow. I just googled this. I had no idea her husband was Michael Hastings, the journalist who called out the military brass in Rolling Stone. That piece was great. What a loss to not only his family, but the rest of us.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Padma said:

"Chuck Todd ✔ @chucktodd    "You're so vain, you probably think this tweet is about you. New Year's resolution for all media (concierge&combative): you aren't the story!""

Funny because yesterday on MTP, Todd talked about "concierge media" which is someone whose main job is to direct positive attention TO Trump and negative attention AWAY from him.  Todd said "They're at every network--I won't name names"

Hilarious.  If his panelists refer to him as a concierge journo from this point on, I'll start to watch again.

• Love 3

Joe Fed Up with Critics (long interview)

I tried to read this earlier this morning but Joe is so full of shit I can't believe the CNN/Money reporter could keep a straight face. 

The way they would blast Hillary Clinton over "optics", and then for him to say he's "cultivating sources", and that he was friends with Valerie Jarrett and she would make decisions based on things Joe & Mika discussed, I about barfed. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Hilarious.  If his panelists refer to him as a concierge journo from this point on, I'll start to watch again.

I think Mika & Joe are acting like the prom King & Queen who are now BFF with President Trump.

Chuck Todd must be furious at Joe for his private dinners & meetings with Trump. 

In the interview with CNN, Joe called out Andrea Mitchell& Chris Matthews for being friendly with politicians. 

This could get ugly ugly between King Joe & his NBC colleagues. There are also reports that Megyn Kelly will join NBC news. Mika won't be happy about that

• Love 2

The way they would blast Hillary Clinton over "optics", and then for him to say he's "cultivating sources", and that he was friends with Valerie Jarrett and she would make decisions based on things Joe & Mika discussed, I about barfed.

I would bet that Valerie Jarrett never met with these ding dongs of her own free will. Plus she probably needed a stiff drink before seeing them and pretending she didn't hate their guts.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, oakville said:

In the interview with CNN, Joe called out Andrea Mitchell& Chris Matthews for being friendly with politicians. 

This is what sticks out to me the most about this interview. Why hammer away at your own colleagues? I wonder how that is going over at the network. I never see Andrea on MJ, and while Chris Matthews use to be on occasionally, I haven't seen him on in a while. Wonder what they think of Joe and Mika.

• Love 2

I never see Andrea on MJ, and while Chris Matthews use to be on occasionally, I haven't seen him on in a while. Wonder what they think of Joe and Mika.

Well, on Election night, as everyone sat there stunned, Chris Matthews asked who would be able to say "I told you so." Cackles piped in, Joe and Mika. And Chris smirked, really? And Cackles said, yes, they have been saying this could happen for a while. And then Chris smirked and mumbled something. I rewound it a few times, turned on CC, but still couldn't figure out what he said - but from the facial expression and tone, I don't think it was good.

As for Megyn...I think a lot of the snark will be from Joe, actually, who has taken swipes at her (for her clothes, the last time.) IIRC Mika has said okay things about her, the few times she has come up. 

• Love 1

I just read on HuffPo that Megyn will get a daily talk show and a Sunday night news show on NBC.   And will cover breaking political news. 

Also Gretchen Carlson is going to guest host on Today sometime, I guess during Savannah's maternity leave. 

Guess NBC is trying to woo some of the assisted living center demo away from Fox. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 3

Mika has nothing to worry about with Megyn. Kelly's on her way up. Mika's already the Peter Principle in action.

I wish they'd stop showing the obnoxious commercials for this show, aka, "Joe Is All That And Knows So Much Insider Information!!!!"  I can't stand Mika, but she IS billed as a co-host. Her only role in the commercial is a simpering tiny soundbite, something like "Joe predicted that!"

All those tweets against Sopan Dep showed me someone with the narcissism and ego needs very much like our incoming president.  I'm sorry that MSNBC is feeding that.  I can't believe it's going to drive up ratings and will probably make him even more of a monster to work with.

• Love 4

Mika has nothing to worry about with Megyn. Kelly's on her way up. Mika's already the Peter Principle in action.

No, but NBC might get some blow back. Here's the shortlist of shitty racist things Megyn has said over the years, ie "Kids, just so you know Santa is WHITE". 

http://mediamatters.org/research/2015/08/04/gop-debate-moderator-megyn-kelly-has-long-histo/204729

Mika may be an idiot, but she's not a full out racist. 

• Love 6

I'll bet that MSNBC is loving the publicity from Joe's twitter rants and the sniping back and forth of their "journalists"...ahem.  They figure it brings eyeballs to the network, even it it's just to watch a train wreck.  Just think, they have their own Trump Mini-me in Joe.  Loud, obnoxious, twitter man-child.  And Mika is their Kelly-Ann...the explainer, excuser, media scolder.  The network probably hopes that Joe acts like a jackass...and they sure do have their wishes granted, day after day.  Wonder what time-slot Megan Kelly will get?  

• Love 3

Megyn's getting a daytime talk show M-F, I don't know if it's on MSNBC or thru NBC affiliates, and a Sunday evening news show, I guess during football off season. And she'll cover breaking political news.  

Twitter is blasting NBC for hiring her, quoting all the awful things she's said over the years on Fox. 

• Love 1

The network certainly hopes that Joe is a jackass, and gets worse.  Joe's purpose there now has zero to do with news or journalism.  I don't know if this business model started with the Kardashians, or perhaps with some other reality show, but it's the same model.
Root against him.  Who cares?  Know he's wrong as hell.  Who cares?  Hold lower than no respect for him or the news industry.  Who cares?  None of it matters.  Just watch, baby.
While Joe behaves like a clown and Trump sparkles shiny objects on Twitter, the GOP has just voted to gut the Ethics Committee.  It's been less than 2 months since the election and Trump is already headed 180' in the opposite direction.  "Lock her up."  "Crooked Hillary."  "Shillary."  Cynical lies told at the time to shape the thinking of morons.
It's news shows' responsibility to observe this and call out officials for explanations and investigate plans for actions to remedy this.  Joe is leading the vanguard in the other direction.   The business model is to be outrageous and troll well enough to build an audience.  The audience is culpable.

• Love 5

What annoyed me this morning was the opening of the show at 6. It was several minutes of Joe and the panel chatting quietly before Joe acknowledged the audience with Good Morning welcome to MJ. Mika is off today..." 

yes you are so cool that you are doing us a favor by just letting us watch you mumble with the panel.  They cut it when they repeated at 8  

you just know he thought that was soooo cool. 

Also the part where he talked about all the ethical and wonderful laws they were responsible for when his class took office was annoying. 

Well, I tried to watch it again

• Love 4
14 hours ago, oakville said:

Agreed. I prefer Elise Jordan to Nicole Cackles Wallace. Her husband died in a mysterious car accident

I saw Elise Jordan the first day that she was on MJ, and I thought she was awful. However, she has really come a long way, and now I really like her.

I think she had only been married a couple of years when her husband died. Very sad. 

• Love 2

What annoyed me this morning was the opening of the show at 6. It was several minutes of Joe and the panel chatting quietly before Joe acknowledged the audience with Good Morning welcome to MJ. Mika is off today..." 

Yeah that was annoying. They were joking around, alluding to getting into Twitter flame wars, leading the audience to think they were discussing Joe's twitter meltdown but then at the end they referenced some *other* Twitter flame war (between two football coaches?) but tee hee hee you guys (the audience) thought we were talking about us! Really juvenile.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

8:15 Am EST Joe makes another Petulant Child Comment about his not being at the Trump party.  

If I start a Paypal account to seek therapy to find out why I loathe and detest KAC so much, would you contribute? She used the word "specious" (in a replay of an Anderson Cooper interview) and I start screaming at the Sirius while driving in traffic, coffee cup in hand. Looking inside myself, I would want to think that if she was a man with overly processed blonde hair I would feel the same way??  That said, Kate McKinnon on SNL is doing a spot-on caricature of her each week. 

Oakville, I'm wearing a vintage silk chartreuse and magenta scarf today.  What religion am I?

I think your scarf could make you a Buddhist !

!

• Love 2

Wednesday recap. Same panel as yesterday. Joe is wearing a navy sweater with coral gingham shirt. The panel replayed clips from yesterday when Joe & Halperin predicted that the ethics committee vote would be reversed.

joe bragged that he New that Trump would put an end to fiasco with a tweet.

joe said the GOP cannot repeal Obamacare without a replacement.

The panel wasted 5 minutes talking about Dabbing & Carrot Top. 

Joe said they will cover the Inauguration from Washington. Where else would it be?

Joe bragged about getting phone calls from constituents when he was in Congress.

No discussion of Megan Kelly yet

• Love 1

Okay. I thought that maybe I could better tolerate MJ as background noise while I assembled a slowcooker meal.

I made it throught the info about the phone calls that laid to rest the new not-ethics panel though wondered, Wasn't any of this info available yesterday morning. Joe's not that in the loop?

It was almost possible to keep on until our oh-great-seer Joe decided to verbally power-point what the Dems did wrong. I made it until his Bam!Bam!Bam!Bam!Bam! (complete with pointy finger) followed by his ridiculously smug expression accented by his Where'sWaldo hair and glasses.

I'm Out!

• Love 3

Joe bragged about getting phone calls from constituents when he was in Congress.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen? That's like me working for a property management company and bragging that our tenants call. 

And please media. Stop giving Trump credit for the GOP reversing itself on that ethics bill. It was the constituents calling their representatives. Ari Melber pointed out that right after the news broke, the most searched topic on Google was "who is my Congressperson". 

• Love 7

Rand Paul was on and talked about how they want to allow people to buy crap insurance that doesn't cover anything. That is what caused lots of people to go into bankruptcy back in the day. No one called him on it.

• Love 1

How will Megan Kelly do reporting news when she has never reported news before?  I mean, she was on Fox, correct? She is lucky that Trump dissed her a year ago.

Pretty darn close!!!

• Love 3

That Patriots Day movie looks like a jingoistic shitshow. Hell the commercial features an American Muslim being falsely told she has no rights. No thanks, Hollywood. And Barnicle pipe down on the Bahstin Strawng stuff. You live in a wealthy suburb 20+ miles away from the city and haven't hanged with Sully and Denise for decades.

• Love 3

That Patriots Day movie looks like a jingoistic shitshow. Hell the commercial features an American Muslim being falsely told she has no rights. No thanks, Hollywood. And Barnicle pipe down on the Bahstin Strawng stuff. You live in a wealthy suburb 20+ miles away from the city and haven't hanged with Sully and Denise for decades.

This is another one of Wahlberg's vanity projects. His production company produced it.

Remember what he said if he'd been on one of the planes that hit the towers on Sept 11, 

'If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did,' he said.

'There would have been a lot of blood in that first class cabin and then me saying "OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry".'

What a jackass. I prefer to remember Donny in Band of Brothers and just leave it at that. 

• Love 2

Joe's longest defense yet http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/02/media/joe-scarborough-mar-a-lago-new-years-eve-interview/index.html

I don't remember seeing any 10 year old child in the photo and Joe's back wasn't to the room, he was in a circle of people.

Interesting how everyone else took Todd's tweets as criticism and Joe took them as support.

Also interesting how he attacks other journalists for friendships with other politicians--but doesn't mention all the other prominent news people who are also so chummy with Trump.

• Love 2

If Joe had jammed his foot in the door at the Obamas' home in Hawaii over the past 8 holidays for impromptu interviews, then Joe is right and the world is wrong.  He did pursue a personal relationship with Barack Obama constantly and carried his water to curry favor, right? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

You mean Sean Hannity & Bill O'Reilly? 

Those are two. And Jeff Zucker, pres of CNN, is another. And the publisher of the National Enquirer. And, I'm sure, many more that we don't ever hear about. I was surprised that Tamron Hall (NBC) is so close to Trump that he gets her discounts at the Gucci store. 

The one thing I agree with Joe about is that there's a lot more of these relationships than the public knows. And I think we should know ALL of them, because it really does go to the possibility of bias.

• Love 4

i dont have a problem with people being friends with a politician. i guess i have a problem when they try to act like their friendship means jackshit in terms of their job

just admit you were chilling at the party AND (maybe) trying to set up an interview. 

the weird over defensive behavior is what turns me off about this whole situation. 

*does a mika eye roll*

• Love 2
On 2017-01-03 at 8:45 AM, WhineandCheez said:

!

Thursday recap. Joe is wearing his Bunker suit. He is in the Bunker today. Kasie stole one of Mika's scarf. She is in Washington. Harold Ford Jr , Barnicle and Halperin & Willie are on the set. 

The topics are repealing Obamacare & changing the DNI office. 

Joe said they need a new program to replace Obamacare.

• Love 1

I could not believe it when Joe implied the other day that President Obama receiving book royalties was equivalent to Trump continuing to run his business empire while president. 

The first day she was on Elise Jordan seemed too reserved to be on these types of shows. Yesterday she talked more and made some really good points.

Today everyone seems at a loss as what to talk about. Joe is remote. It is awkward.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Thursday recap. Joe is wearing his Bunker suit. He is in the Bunker today. Kasie stole one of Mika's scarf. She is in Washington. Harold Ford Jr , Barnicle and Halperin & Willie are on the set. 

The topics are repealing Obamacare & changing the DNI office. 

Joe said they need a new program to replace Obamacare.

I could not believe how easily they let that Republican off the hook regarding Obamacare. Why did no one pin him down on his assertions that only the "bad parts" were going to go away? Why didn't anyone point out that you can't remove the mandate and keep pre-existing conditions without premiums spiraling out of control? Why didn't they ask him what the Republicans have planned to help curb insurance industry abuses like annual and lifetime caps? Why didn't anyone point out that every expert who knows anything about healthcare has predicted that a repeal without replacement will unravel the markets and drive thousands out of the program? Why didn't they press him on the block grant plan that will destroy the Medicaid expansion?

Why did they just sit there and let this asshole lie and lie and lie?

• Love 7

Why did they just sit there and let this asshole lie and lie and lie?

They're not serious people; nor are they educational, entertaining, witty, funny, or good looking. So, I have no idea why they're on television.

• Love 5

As a side note, I, too, am unable to read or leave any comments on the MJ Facebook page. WTF is up with that? They must know I am angry and coming for them.

I was just able to. I commented on the story about Joe taking a page out of Trump's playbook. 

I saw a new commercial (at least for me) for the show this morning. It was quoting all the times Joe or Mika said they got an exclusive comment from Trump, and how MJ is where all the breaking political news will come from because Joe & Mika are kissing Trump's ass so much. 

Just now, teddysmom said:

Man he is just not going to let this go is he? 

Next thing it'll be excuses for why he cheated on his wives because JFK did it. 

I dont know. did JFK cheat on women with OCERD? (obsessive compulsive eyerolling disorder)

;-)

but honestly, joe can't see the point people are making. that, to me, is what makes this so sad, yet funny

• Love 3