Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Physician, Heal Thy Selfie

Detective Babineaux and Liv are investigating a triple homicide, and Liv is shocked to learn that the victims' bodies are missing their heads. A very hungry Liv is forced to consume the brain of an unfortunate social media hungry soul who was recently run over by a bus. Meanwhile, Peyton leans on Ravi for support, and things get interesting when Blaine's worlds start to collide.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCQP5pYdMWE

Can't lie to you, Ravi.  I would totally watch any unboxing video as long as it was Liv doing it.  Rose McIver has just got that much power over me. 

Boss and Blaine!  Blaine and Boss!  Those two finally meet face-to-face, and Boss currently seems to have Blaine by the throat.  It was fun watching Blaine lose his smugness for a few seconds and look intimidated by Boss.  Only thing better was Blaine's face when he found out that Peyton and Liv were friends.  Another time where he didn't seem to see that coming.  But I guess it is only temporarily.  He'll probably have another plan very soon to and will manage to stay in the game.

Nice to see Ravi/Peyton scenes again, even if it led to Ravi getting hangover after hangover.  Got worried at the end though, after she left and they kept the camera on him.  Really thought we were going to hear an explosion any second.

Case of the week seem to mainly be about setting up the bigger stuff: showing how far Boss and his men will try to go.  Vaughn Du Clarke realizing that Major isn't fully honest about his zombie killing, but at least Major seems to have held him back off for now.  Setting Peyton up to be the D.A. now, I guess.  Texting, Millennial Liv was fun though.

Let me say right out that while I would never, ever approve of what he did in real life, Vaughn going after internet trolls and others who post mean stuff about him and his company on social media, cracked me up.  It is so evil and wrong, but it is so Vaughn.  Love Steven Weber in this role.

• Love 7

Vaughn going after internet trolls and others who post mean stuff about him and his company on social media, cracked me up. It is so evil and wrong, but it is so Vaughn. Love Steven Weber in this role.

I agree, Steven Weber is so great in the role. Vaughn being bothered by internet trolls was hilarious. Probably some meta in there. Maybe Rob writing out a fantasy that he wants to kill the haters on twitter?

Peyton drinking Ravi under the table amused me as well. And it was nice to see Blaine off his game, first when he realized that Peyton knew Liv and second when he saw Mr. Boss.

When they announced this show, I was like, nope nope nope. Not watching her eat brains. Now I enjoy seeing what Liv makes her brains into each week. #brainfood

• Love 6

Why didn't Major just say that Barracus wasn't a zombie when he checked him out months ago so someone must have scratched him since then?

Awwwww, poor Ravi. Hanging out with an ex who you are still in love with only leads to more heartache.

I almost (ALMOST) felt for Blaine when Peyton told him he was just a huge mistake. I think he did start to like her and was hurt by what she said. I'm sure his bigger concern is that she knows who he really is, but still - I think it still stung. I know he's a bad guy and I do not want him to win in the end, but it was nice to see him act like a real person for once. Similarly, it was amusing to see him navigate that conversation with Mr. Boss. Blaine is so smug, flippant, and condescending most of the time so it's a nice change to see him rattled.

I was so afraid that Liv on millenial brains was going to accidentally post something that would get someone in trouble. I thought when she took that selfie with Peyton, she was going to include the alcohol in the photo which would not be a great thing for an ADA to be pictured doing in her office in the middle of the day. Then Peyton pointed out that it was a good thing the murder board wasn't in the background of Liv's photo which would have been even worse.

I would hate Drake's mom if I were dating Drake, but from my sofa she's annoying in a funny way. I'm not saying Drake's conviction was no big deal, but I can see why he doesn't tell a girl who he just started sleeping with. Based on the fact that this episode started right where the last one ended, Liv and Drake had slept together once and, "Hey, I have a felony assault charge," isn't ideal pillow talk.

• Love 5

Nice to see Ravi/Peyton scenes again, even if it led to Ravi getting hangover after hangover.  Got worried at the end though, after she left and they kept the camera on him.  Really thought we were going to hear an explosion any second.

I do wonder why Ravi's hangovers didn't lessen in severity.  (Whenever I've been in a drinking each evening/night timeframe like vacationing, by the third morning my hangover seems so much more tolerable.)  As to the expectation of an explosion: I was too.  And it wasn't nice.  Don't play with me like that iZombie!!!

When they announced this show, I was like, nope nope nope. Not watching her eat brains. Now I enjoy seeing what Liv makes her brains into each week. #brainfood

I never thought I'd find the sentence "I enjoy seeing what Liv makes her brains into" would make me laugh.  But, it does.

Edited to add, D.A. Barracus?!! Oh, show, you're really too funny.

Edited by fastiller

I almost laughed at how shocked Liv was to learn Drake was an ex-con. He was working for Blaine and bleeding out when she met him- I would have been shocked if he didn't have a criminal history! He legit did seem to be working on his anger issues when he was dealing with those thugs last week; I think he was sincere running down his coping mechanisms. But if he ever goes unchecked Full Zombie, it's going to get super ugly. He's a big strong guy even without that. If he gets fridged like Lowell did, I will be irked.

"Deaux, a Deer in Headlights" the intro screen said, and he really was! He was terrified by Boss and I don't think we've seen him scared before. He's going to have to get it together if he really intends to challenge Boss- he's trying to do it behind the scenes, but I'm not sure if he's smart enough, and sooner or later things will likely come to another, less friendly face to face. Seeing Blaine get his metaphorical chair kicked out from under him this episode was pretty satisfying, though I do wonder if he really was getting to like Peyton. Still, what kind of relationship was that ever going to be, BLAINE.

• Love 7
I would hate Drake's mom if I were dating Drake, but from my sofa she's annoying in a funny way. I'm not saying Drake's conviction was no big deal, but I can see why he doesn't tell a girl who he just started sleeping with. Based on the fact that this episode started right where the last one ended, Liv and Drake had slept together once and, "Hey, I have a felony assault charge," isn't ideal pillow talk.

I can see why compared to the whole being undead thing it might have slipped his mind, but not telling someone you actually know and plan to see again about your criminal record before you sleep with them seems like poor form to me.

Edited to add, D.A. Barracus?!! Oh, show, you're really too funny.

An obvious play on Mr. T's character that I noticed was used an exceptional number of times. Either the writer is a fan or was so proud of the phrase that he didn't want any viewers to miss it.

An obvious play on Mr. T's character that I noticed was used an exceptional number of times. Either the writer is a fan or was so proud of the phrase that he didn't want any viewers to miss it.

So much pop culture love on this show.  I mean Dale Bozzio, investigating Missing Persons? Priceless!

• Love 1

I know it's silly, but I miss Minor. 

Take heart: Elementary fans miss Clyde whenever he's not in an episode, and he's a turtle. We know he's just in the refrigerator, but still...

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 6

It's not silly. Minor is an adorable basset hound who never asked to get caught up in Major's whatever.

Speaking of Major's whatever, I sure hope nobody from Max Rager is following him to his brightly lit storage unit where he stands in the open door telling his victims all about his plans! You'd think Du Clarke would have had Gilda or somebody tail him at least the first couple of times he was supposed to take a zombie out, to make sure he was competent/trustworthy. He seems paranoid enough under all that American Psycho bluster to do that. Maybe the new guy, can't recall his name, will?

• Love 5

You'd think Du Clarke would have had Gilda or somebody tail him at least the first couple of times he was supposed to take a zombie out, to make sure he was competent/trustworthy.

Vaughn had Rita follow Major the first time he killed someone on the zombie list. She was shown watching from afar as he threw the wrapped up (fake) body over the bridge.

• Love 1

Drake's mom is super annoying (but hilarious!).  I thought Drake's devotion towards her was pretty adorable.

I'm really glad they addressed how completely unprofessional Peyton sleeping with Blaine was.  Honestly, that bothered me so much more than the fact that Blaine is a serial killer.  Peyton's a very green ADA who knows she has a lot to prove.  I hate seeing characters sabotage themselves that way.  

Why didn't Major just say that Barracus wasn't a zombie when he checked him out months ago so someone must have scratched him since then?

I don't think they would have believed him, though that may not be a good enough reason for him to have not at least tried out that lie.  They had already called Major's bluff by revealing that they had access to a record of his purchases, and that his purchases strongly suggested zombie-ism.  We don't know quite how or when Major reports back to Vaughn and Gilda about who on their list is human, but if they know roughly when he visited Barracas, that purchase record might have caught Major in a lie.

I almost laughed at how shocked Liv was to learn Drake was an ex-con. He was working for Blaine and bleeding out when she met him- I would have been shocked if he didn't have a criminal history! 

I didn't think he was working for Blaine at the time.  He was working for Stacey Boss (something Liv doesn't know).  Maybe I'm just misremembering things, but I thought Blaine targeted Drake to become a zombie in order to compromise someone close to Boss.  That said, I agree that Liv's shock over his criminal record was comical.  She should have at least suspected that someone she met through Blaine was shady.

She should have at least suspected that someone she met through Blaine was shady.

See, I thought she did (although maybe that was an assumption) and was surprised when she was so shocked about his criminal record. 

I like that this show assumes a certain level of attention and lets the audience put things together on their own but it's got so many balls in the air at the moment that I feel like I need to rewatch chunks of this season because as it's tying together I'm realising that I've missed things. 

Ravi really is the best. When Peyton drove off I just wanted to give him a hug. 

• Love 5

I like that this show assumes a certain level of attention and lets the audience put things together on their own but it's got so many balls in the air at the moment that I feel like I need to rewatch chunks of this season because as it's tying together I'm realising that I've missed things. 

It doesn't help that we can go multiple episodes without hearing anything about individual story lines, so it's easy to forget what and who ties in with which plot.  

I'm enjoying the hell out this season, but I have to admit that the serialized elements are a complete mess.  It's not a mess that bothers me because the individual episodes are so entertaining, but when viewed as a whole, it doesn't feel like the show-runners have their shit together this season.  They've got so many story-lines going at once (maybe too many) and are pacing them really badly.   I almost wonder if they were overwhelmed by having a larger episode order this year than they did last year.   

• Love 3
Vaughn had Rita follow Major the first time he killed someone on the zombie list. She was shown watching from afar as he threw the wrapped up (fake) body over the bridge.

Oh good, thanks. I forgot about that. In which case he must have still had the guy in his trunk and brought him back to the storage unit afterwards or she would have seen him? Major's electric bills on those freezers must be insane.

• Love 1

Baracus' ability to evade detection by anyone but Liv and Major is worse than an impossibility like zombies. It's an ostentatiously plot convenient implausibility designed to avoid consequences for the protagonists.

Of course Vaughan is not going to insist on disposing of the bodies in the future but try to intimidate a man he believes has successfully killed many, many people, starting with a entire massacre. 

You could go on, of course. But in some ways there's no point. First, not many open-ended serials do any better, so why pick on this one? Second, not everyone sees a coherent plot as a function of sound characterization and fidelity to themes the way I do. Still, it seems to me that for anybody watching, it should be obvious that the characters who actually undergo real change, suffer real consequences, are the guests in the case of the week. That's where the show has real heart I think. The more the show scants the case of the week, the less heart it has. The trials of the principals have an arbitrariness and impermanence that smacks more of self-absorption than drama. But maybe that's just me.

• Love 1

Peyton and Blaine are not done, mark my words. After she told him off in front of Liv and then turned away, the camera very deliberately showed a look of...something pass over her face. It was subtle, but I definitely got the feeling that she was acting more disgusted and over it than she actually was. 

Can someone please explain the very end to me, when Liv got a flash of a memory of Scott E. doing something nefarious? Was that from the social media maven's brain? Also, I rewound a couple of times but couldn't hear what Live internally monologued directly after. Anyone?

Liv saw that her meal of the week bought the new version of utopium (which Clive's snitch told them about earlier) from Scott E. at a club. Liv knows that Scott E. works for Blaine so she realized that Blaine is the new mystery guy in town who is trying to take over Mr. Boss's business.

• Love 5
Liv saw that her meal of the week bought the new version of utopium (which Clive's snitch told them about earlier) from Scott E. at a club. Liv knows that Scott E. works for Blaine so she realized that Blaine is the new mystery guy in town who is trying to take over Mr. Boss's business.

Thank you! I knew I'd missed something big. 

Forgot to add that one of my pathetic, slashy hopes is that Liv eats a brain that makes her want to get with Blaine. I know. I'm sick. 

• Love 3

I don't think they would have believed him, though that may not be a good enough reason for him to have not at least tried out that lie.  They had already called Major's bluff by revealing that they had access to a record of his purchases, and that his purchases strongly suggested zombie-ism.

But wasn't that how the guy was on the list in the first place? I didn't understand why the purchase history was supposed to shock Major into compliance. I suspect that line was inserted for a reminder to the audience or an explanation to new viewers, because it didn't make sense to me.

Baracus' ability to evade detection by anyone but Liv and Major is worse than an impossibility like zombies.

Yeah, was he hiding in a walkout basement, or was that a second location?

The new utopium is "Lucky U," with a horseshoe as the U on the vial. Clever.

Help me, TV mavens.  Who was the extremely familiar looking actress who played Drake's mom?  IMDB is no help.

That was Miriam Flynn, who played, among many other things, Cousin Catherine in the Vacation movies.

• Love 2
Baracus' ability to evade detection by anyone but Liv and Major is worse than an impossibility like zombies.

Yeah, was he hiding in a walkout basement, or was that a second location?

When Liv and Clive went to the cabin owned by Baracus, he was hiding in what appeared to be the old ventilation system.  Liv realized we wouldn't have left without his food supply - he hid when he heard someone coming, but she found him.  He stayed hidden until the police left.

I really enjoyed the confrontation between Boss and Blaine.  Well played on both sides. 

And I liked Peyton retaking control in the situation with Blaine.  It's going to get much more awkward when Peyton realizes he's Boss's competition.

That was Miriam Flynn, who played, among many other things, Cousin Catherine in the Vacation movies.

OMG! and she played Sister Helen in Grounded for Life alongside my crush of crushes Donal Logue!   And I learn from her IMDB page that she played Maa the sheep in the immortal Babe, one of the greatest movies ever made..Thank you! I knew I'd seen her a million times.

• Love 1
And I liked Peyton retaking control in the situation with Blaine. It's going to get much more awkward when Peyton realizes he's Boss's competition.

And that by extension he's been using her to undermine Boss. Even if they were starting to like each other, it's hard to see how you'd bounce back from that one.

When Liv and Clive went to the cabin owned by Baracus, he was hiding in what appeared to be the old ventilation system.

They said he was hiding in the crawlspace. Presumably he was using the ventilation system to hear what was going on in the house, but the camera shots made it seem like he was in the ducts, so there may have been a script change.

I keep waiting for the manikins-in-body-bags to be discovered in the river.

Liv's shock over his criminal record was comical.  She should have at least suspected that someone she met through Blaine was shady.

I felt the same way, but I think it was originally because she was on lust brains, and she also thought he was a customer, not an employee of Blaine's; when he asked her for help controlling his zombie rage, that won her over. I still think it's idiocy for her not to have investigated further, but they did try to at least give her a few plausible excuses.

At this point, I find Peyton sleeping with Blaine, and Major keeping the extortion by duClarke a secret, to be much less credible than Liv on sex brains getting some ill-advised zombie action.

• Love 1

This week was more about the longterm story and less fun. I think there was also just less humor in general. Drake is still cute but there was nothing hilarious about him and his mom or Peyton drinking with Ravi which were the few moments of levity this episode.

I forget... does Major seriously still not know that evil redhead is Liv's roommate? Really? Peyton knows about Blaine. Liv can't know about Vaughn's daughter? It was awfully convenient and I expect better of Major at this point when he was smart enough to give Vaughn the tracker to record him.

So Major makes a deal with another zombie to get in the freezer. Again it made sense as a way to get him (the DA) out of the situation he was in but there's hope that someday he might be able to live a normal life again. I'm glad Major managed to not cross that moral event horizon. The dramatic music had me concerned he might actually have to kill someone to prove it to Vaughn. But his only job is as a personal trainer, right? How well does Max Rager pay? How can he afford all these freezers?

Like many (or all?) of Liv's love interests, Drake is a total romance novel/movie cliche but I kind of hope he sticks around. I miss having a Liv who can brawl from the first few episodes of season 1. I want to see them be a kick ass (literally) power couple.

I felt the same way, but I think it was originally because she was on lust brains, and she also thought he was a customer, not an employee of Blaine's

Wasn't it all in, like, one day or something. It's not that she thought about it and didn't click. It's that she didn't think about it at all until she'd already slept with him. And that's why she checked him out.

Meanwhile, he's like 1000 kinds of adorable in a huge muscle bag so with the lust brains I get why she wasn't thinking.*

*I was going to go for a 'using her brains' pun there but was feeling too lazy.