Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife in the Media

Why? Why? Why when I so wanted to meet Archie, did my fucking migraine have to make an appearance?

Yep, I didn't even get to see her last night.  My only consolation is, that none of the hosts (Meg Ryan, Taye Diggs, Delroy Lindo and Archie wouldn't have been able to remain after the concert as they all had to head back to the West coast and had to leave immediately after.

I'm also bummed I didn't get to meet the honorees. I've been attending these concerts for four years running. Hell, even last year, weeks after my mastectomy, I managed to attend. But the FUCKING MIGRAINE and blurred vision last night made it impossible.

DAMMIT!DAMMIT!DAMMIT!

• Love 2

For what? I like Margo, but she shouldn't just get nominated for showing up. Its her Emmy nod all over again.

I think Margo absolutely deserved the Emmy nomination and win for her role in Justified.  I also think her work in the first season of The Americans warranted a nod.  I do, agree, however, that the last Emmy nomination was a lazy nomination of someone previously nominated. 

• Love 1

CBS apparently just announced that the Kings will not be back on next season of The Good Wife, if there is a next season.  I think that has to mean that there won't be a next season, although they aren't saying that yet.. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I could not help but go "Oooooooooooooooooh" when I read this.

From Actor Fred Melamed's "Random Roles" interview on the AV Club:

http://www.avclub.com/article/fred-melamed-casual-coens-and-making-larry-david-l-229369

The Good Wife (2011-2014)—“Judge Alan Karpman”

FM: That’s gone over a couple of years: I did the first one maybe about four years ago, and then a year ago last summer I did two more. I enjoy that show. I enjoy it as a show, and I enjoy working on it. The Kings, who write it and produce it, are really good, interesting writers. They also directed one of the episodes that I did. It’s a good show. Julianna Margulies’ personality is very much felt in that show and dominates the show a lot, but it has such a broad cast and good supporting players. You know, when you’re a judge, you’re kind of separated from everybody. You have this kind of wall around you—literally, you’re up on a dais and far from everybody—but it also very much limits the kind of stuff that you do. But I really enjoyed it.

All bolding and italicizing and shade-reading was mine.

This is a guy who enthusiastically goes on for paragraphs and paragraphs about his other roles and experiences with people like the Coen Brothers and Larry David.

You know, I thought the SJP on Sex and the City situation was odd, but that cast stuck together and no single actor without exception EVER left the show (that we know of) and they did TWO extremely long and complicated movies together!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

This is kind of off-topic, but I thought of The Good Wife when reading this NYT article.  It discusses a documentary about Huma Abedin and Anthony Weiner and is set to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in a few days.  Sometimes real life is more interesting than fiction. Makes me think The Good Wife needs a new scandal to spice things up and move the characters forward.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/20/us/politics/anthony-weiner-huma-abedin-sexting-scandal-hillary-clinton.html

Did Julianna Margulies Just Confirm the End of The Good Wife?

I wish she would stop behaving in such a thirsty manner, turning every accolade for the Kings or the show into a commentary about her career/prospects. Seven years of being top dog at an award-winning show is a great stroke of luck, and if she could behave remotely like her former co-star Josh, perhaps she wouldn't need to cling to everything TGW so very much. I didn't think she would go down with the ship if the accolades left with the Kings, but still, whenever she is on record about the show as giving it some type of shoutout, there's this passive-aggressive subtext to it. If nothing else, I guess she's consistent year after year after year.

I could not help but go "Oooooooooooooooooh" when I read this.

From Actor Fred Melamed's "Random Roles" interview on the AV Club:

http://www.avclub.co...-david-l-229369

Thanks for sharing this Ms Blue Jay (awesome use of shade-bolding btw!). I feel like a bit of a dumdum because I'd like to think my take on her power trips - though pretty darn well documented - are always a bit over the top. So I'm happynothappy to read that every person in NY who stands close enough to her, or the set, finds the fumes overwhelming.

Edited by meisje
  • Love 2

I wish she would stop behaving in such a thirsty manner, turning every accolade for the Kings or the show into a commentary about her career/prospects. Seven years of being top dog at an award-winning show is a great stroke of luck, and if she could behave remotely like her former co-star Josh, perhaps she wouldn't need to cling to everything TGW so very much. I didn't think she would go down with the ship if the accolades left with the Kings, but still, whenever she is on record about the show as giving it some type of shoutout, there's this passive-aggressive subtext to it. 

I get we don't like Julianna Margulies over here but I don't see how this reflects poorly on her at all. She's publicly supporting the creators of the show and indicating she'll step down, even as she sacrifices money, creative control, and Emmy nominations for an eighth season, in order to let the Kings do their show the way they want. And how is it a stroke of luck that she landed the show? She auditioned for it, I assume. She didn't win it in a lottery. And she IS the star so part of the success of the show can definitely be attributed to her.  

• Love 1

“They didn’t know I was going to be here. They think I’m here for them, but I’m unemployed come April, and I think you haven’t seen me in a while, at least not in person, so I thought I should show up.”

Wow, just wow. So, it's an evening honoring the Kings, and when she unexpectedly shows up, she says she knows the Kings think it's for them, but no, it's because she's unemployed come April and so she wants to put herself forward in front of a bunch of casting directors for her next job. Yeah, she didn't say that last part, but it's easy to extrapolate from what she said before that.

What kind of asshole shows up at someone else's event and says flat out that she didn't show up to support them, but for herself?

• Love 6

And how is it a stroke of luck that she landed the show? She auditioned for it, I assume. She didn't win it in a lottery. And she IS the star so part of the success of the show can definitely be attributed to her.

I say that about any person on any show that sees more than 6 episodes, because many very good shows don't get the numbers right out of the gate and are cancelled swiftly. There are just so many factors that have to come together to make it to series and then to stay on air. CBS is perhaps a little bit of a safer place than many since they are slower to cancel things in general and give more latitude to shows, especially if there is critical acclaim, but the percentage of successful TV shows is somewhere around 10%. I wish it was as simple as deserving shows/actors are the ones to get picked up and stick around, but that's not really the way it works.

My response to JM was very positive in the first few years of the show. I remembered her as being in several shows that died pretty quick deaths (I think the last before TGW was a show where she played a lawyer), and doing some terrible movies, but I didn't associate that with anything personal about her. Once TGW took off, the network was, of course, sending her around to do press for the show and a lot of late night appearances. It's really been years of smug and/or nasty comments, punctuated by the mess of what TGW became, that gave me cause to wonder what was going on with her, and to see that the litany of comments weren't just silly one-offs or someone making jokes that just weren't very funny. 

There are so many talented actors working in television, and many who were on cult favorites at one time or with strong movie backgrounds, and without the complications, snide comments and lawsuits, and I just prefer those other actors because of how they conduct what I know of their professional and personal lives. 

• Love 1

From TV Line:  Why The Good Wife Needs to End This Season (Listen Up, CBS)

And then, of course, there’s the matter of the show’s alleged behind-the-scenes drama, a point utterly unworthy of mentioning, except for the fact that efforts to keep separate Margulies’ Alicia and Archie Panjabi’s Kalinda ultimately damaged the quality of what was happening onscreen — and resulted in one of the most infuriating/laughable green-screen moments in TV history. (If that last sentence has you utterly bewildered, just click here.)

Fan favorites Christine Baranski, Matt Czuchry and Zach Grenier have been given about as much to do in Season 7 as Ben Carson during a Republican debate about foreign policy. Other characters — Finn! Zach! Robyn! — have fallen from the radar like that Democrat who’s not Hillary or Bernie.

So, if the Kings have a destination in mind for Alicia Florrick and all the characters in her orbit, they’ve certainly earned the right to deliver them to that location — without anyone tampering with the GPS at a later date. If that’s not convincing enough for you, consider this: If CBS makes the official cancellation announcement in the next week or two, Margulies, Baranski, Czuchry & Co. will be freed up for Pilot Season 2016.
  • Love 3

Fan favorites Christine Baranski, Matt Czuchry and Zach Grenier have been given about as much to do in Season 7 as Ben Carson during a Republican debate about foreign policy. Other characters — Finn! Zach! Robyn! — have fallen from the radar like that Democrat who’s not Hillary or Bernie.

Cheers to the writer of that piece! -- and thank you milkyaqua for posting this. How damned ironic that, while the Kings have been clogging up our once-beloved show with infinite amounts of campaign junk (month after month after year after year...), they missed the exact parallels they were recreating in the very worst of ways!

And as far as the embarrassing green-screen moment... I'm beginning to think that the #1 thing the show will be remembered for is the pointless behind-the-scenes horseshit that they allowed to blow up what was once a top-tier piece of work. What a ship of fools they look like having been called out on wasting that type of talent. I do hope it follows them for a long time.

• Love 6

Cap0mBQWIAAzZ8B.png

It's official. 

There's a press release out too...

“It’s never easy to say goodbye to one of the crown jewels of your network and studio, much less to a show that is among the best on television,” said Glenn Geller, President, CBS Entertainment and David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “But it also feels very right to end with the seven-year story its creators envisioned, and to celebrate the show’s final run while at the top of its creative game. It has been CBS’s sincere privilege to broadcast and produce THE GOOD WIFE for seven extraordinary seasons. We thank and applaud the outstanding cast, led by the impeccable Julianna Margulies, and the consummate writing and producing team, headed by the brilliant Robert and Michelle King, who brought to life a smart, sophisticated series that has delivered audiences so many memorable characters and unforgettable moments. It is a series that will only grow in prestige as its episodes are watched again or discovered by new viewers for many years to come.”

“THE GOOD WIFE has been the creative experience of a lifetime,” said executive producers and co-creators Robert and Michelle King. “Collaborating with the finest actors, writers, producers, staff and crew on ‘The Education of Alicia Florrick’ has been a dream. We can’t imagine working with a more talented, professional, generous lead than Julianna Margulies or more supportive partners than Leslie Moonves, David Stapf, Glenn Geller and Nina Tassler at CBS and CBS Television Studios. We’re looking forward to using this seventh season to bring Alicia’s story to its natural conclusion. We couldn’t be more excited and grateful.”

“Being a part of THE GOOD WIFE has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career,” said series star Julianna Margulies. “As an actress and a producer, it has been an absolute honor to be a part of a series that, throughout seven years, never settled on being just good… but always strived to be extraordinary. I have witnessed magic happen when Robert and Michelle King put pen to paper, and it has been a privilege to be in the company of their brilliance. To the most amazing and talented cast and crew, there will always be a special place in my heart for our ‘Good Wife’ family. As we close the book on our beloved show, I am humbled and grateful to know that together, we created and were a part of something truly remarkable.”
Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 2

This used to be one of my favorite shows, but now hearing that we're 9 episodes away from the finale makes me say only one thing: Hallelujah.

How the mighty have fallen. My only sadness stems from not seeing Christine Baranski and Matt Czuchry on a weekly basis. They've always brought their A-game.

• Love 22

So the end, will be Alicia finally divorcing Peter and riding off into the sunset to do what she finally wants to do with her life? Yawn. Nothing was stopping her before, only her her own preconceived barriers and limitations.

I'd second your guess (and yawn) but honestly I'm just happy I'm going to be free of this shit show in a few months. Soon we will be free at last!
  • Love 2

Even though this show hasn't been as good during the last couple of seasons as it used to be, I will still miss it. I wish I was optimistic that they'll be able to wrap things up nicely with only 9 episodes left, but...

Still. It was a good run overall. I think I'll miss Diane and Eli the most (and Kalinda too, even though she is already gone).

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 5

I don't think I've ever felt so relieved about cancellation news. Here's hoping that Baranski and Czury will soon find a new show that gives them more opportunities to show their talent.

As great as the show has been over several seasons it's hard to not feel bitter about how much it got tainted by behind the scenes shenanigans. And the least two seasons felt as if the writers were caught in a straight-jacket: Alicia's separation from the rest of the cast, election story lines that never went anywhere interesting, Alicia's almost Kafkaesque attempts to break free from Lockhart etc. - nothing seemed to move anymore every plot suffocated in a quagmire of in-show (and maybe also real life) restraints.

I'm not sure what I would like the final scene to be: Alicia announcing that she wants a divorce or standing on Daley plaza, throwing her wig in the air à la Mary Taylor Moore.

• Love 7

As great as the show has been over several seasons it's hard to not feel bitter about how much it got tainted by behind the scenes shenanigans. And the least two seasons felt as if the writers were caught in a straight-jacket: Alicia's separation from the rest of the cast, election story lines that never went anywhere interesting, Alicia's almost Kafkaesque attempts to break free from Lockhart etc. - nothing seemed to move anymore every plot suffocated in a quagmire of in-show (and maybe also real life) restraints.

Yeah, Mrs. Readster and I were saying that the last two years have been showing how far the show has fallen. Very happy that everyone has decided to pack it up and move unlike other shows (Grey's, Survivor, Scandal). They also kept trying to repeat storylines that didn't work the first time and constant: "Let's bring Michael J. Fox in, that always works." when it doesn't. Plus, the political story lines just wouldn't ended. The moral ended up being: "I you don't get your own way, ruin someone else and don't stop crying until you get your own way." 

Like many others, I am glad this show is coming to an end. I was just thinking about whether I was going to keep watching. The last episode was so frustrating to watch that I really did wonder if I wanted to tune in again. Since we're now counting down the last 9 episodes, I'll finish it off, but its a shame that this show has fallen so far so quickly. I remember just in season 5 when I thought this show rivaled the very best things on TV. I think about how I mourned the ends of Mad Men or Breaking Bad compared to how relived I am that The Good Wife is almost over and it makes me very sad because when this show was at its best, it was pure fire.

My one hope is with a firm end in sight, the writers will pull something wonderful out and surprise me.

• Love 1

I am just afraid that the ending they pull out will be like the blue French horn in HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER - something we would have loved and welcomed had it happened five years earlier. Though Will's definite death at least makes one such option impossible.

• Love 1

Like everyone else this was must see TV for me but as others have said, the story lines have gotten stale or boring, evolution of the good characters has disintegrated and the premise of the shows legal roots has all but disappeared.

I'll watch the final nine shows but my interest in the show and the characters is gone.

• Love 1

I was surprised to see the announcement about the show ending, but not unhappy about it either. I feel like I've been watching out of obligation this year instead of interest. If they had renewed it, I would probably not be watching it anyway. Too much of the same freaking plots over and over and over. New Firm! Old Firm! Another new firm! Someone runs for some polical office! It is just stale and repetitive.

Anyone know if there is any big news about this show.........is this going to be the last season or are they just leaking that rumor to a few close friends and family members??