Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife in the Media

And the sad thing is, at this point, whatever the truth is, it's not going to be anywhere near as good as all the theories being spun! It will be so boring in comparison!

Ultimately "Juliana is a megabitch" isn't that interesting, true.

• Love 1

It wasn't unexpected, but i will miss Mathew Goode. He's heavenly. 

And JM has joined Katee Sackoff for me now, in the list of actresses whose shows I will NEVER follow again. And actually, Jennifer Morrison to some extent, but i didn't like her that much to begin with. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Whoops. TGW didn't win anything at the Critics' Choice Awards. Juliana lost as best actress in a drama to Taraji P Henson who won for Empire.

Christine B was nominated for supporting actress in a drama but lost to Lorraine Toussaint from Orange is the New Black.

Edited by Janimo
  • Love 2

Bad press for JM and Good Wife or no, Empire and Henson were always likely to win that this year (and probably all the other major awards too).

• Love 1

I don't care about the underwear, although that does seem calculated to try to get the public conversation off her feud with AP. I just care that that's one hella ugly dress. Nothing to do with the sheerness, I'd still hate it if it weren't sheer.

Of course, this does give me mental satisfaction. JM usually looks good on red carpets, but I always enjoy when her dress and stylist (probably long-suffering) fails her.

• Love 4

JM usually looks smashing, but that was truly fugly. How can a dress simultaneously show your panties, while being completely dowdy? That's kind of amazing.

My exact thought was "how is it that I can see her underwear and my gut reaction is "hey grandma"?

• Love 5

I don't care about the underwear, although that does seem calculated to try to get the public conversation off her feud with AP. I just care that that's one hella ugly dress. Nothing to do with the sheerness, I'd still hate it if it weren't sheer.

JM usually looks smashing, but that was truly fugly. How can a dress simultaneously show your panties, while being completely dowdy? That's kind of amazing.

Yup and yup!

• Love 1

Don't know whether to put this in the "Media" section or not, but

This year's Edinburgh International Film Festival jurors will include actors Karen Gillan, Natascha McElhone, Archie Panjabi, Jessica Hynes, Dolly Wells and Denis Lawson, directors Amy Berg and Kyle Patrick Alvarez, LA Times film critic Kenneth Turan, and Jacqueline Lyanga, director of the AFI film festival in Los Angeles

More info at the link. Good for Archie!!!

https://film.list.co.uk/article/71443-edinburgh-international-film-festival-jury-and-guests-announced/

(edited)

Interesting that JM had a birthday yesterday (she turned 49) and I don't think anyone here mentioned it. lol

An interesting quote (to me at least) from the most recent news article I see about JM:

I never worry about keeping an audience on my character’s side, because I feel like that’s what makes her interesting. But I try to make her human so that they can relate to whatever it is she’s doing, whether they agree with it or not.

The above quote is from this article, dated today, June 9, 2015:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/julianna-margulies-the-good-wife-clive-owen-the-knick-1201514907/

PS Edited to add that I didn't watch the video (could not bring myself to do so), but just read the text.

Edited by Janimo
  • Love 1

Of course, this does give me mental satisfaction. JM usually looks good on red carpets, but I always enjoy when her dress and stylist (probably long-suffering) fails her.

I'm glad you said that. My thoughts exactly -- a hideous shape, a hideous fabric, a hideous color for JM. 

• Love 1

(What on earth did Katee Sackhoff do?)

HI, sorry, didn't see this earlier. This is about Battlestar Galactica and after that effed up ending I've never seen it again, so my memory is a little hazy, as will show. 

So the actor that played Starbuck's other love interest (apart from Apollo) was badly hurt or something and shown to be in a coma on the show as well. And she let her real life feelings bleed into her scenes and cried so much over him on the show that it became evident that Starbucks loved that Michael? guy and not Apollo. Which effectively torpedoed the Starbucks/Apollo ending that IMO the writers had always been building towards, and that they'd gotten me onboard for. So while her feelings and actions are understandable, it's the one thing that I really find unforgiveable when it comes to good actors. I can live with bad acting, but not story steerage.  

(edited)

This is kind of a last minute thing, but I just noticed that tonight on VH1C there's an ep of Saturday Night Live hosted by Alan Cumming, dated 2/05/2000. It's scheduled at 8pm Eastern, and the ep after it, starting at 9pm is hosted by JM. That one is dated 2/12/2000. I don't remember seeing either of those eps, but maybe I'll dvr them and watch them at a later date. I'm curious about AC, but JM..... I dunno, 'cause she's not on my list of favorites by any means.....

Edited by Janimo

And she let her real life feelings bleed into her scenes and cried so much over him on the show that it became evident that Starbucks loved that Michael? guy and not Apollo. Which effectively torpedoed the Starbucks/Apollo ending that IMO the writers had always been building towards, and that they'd gotten me onboard for. So while her feelings and actions are understandable, it's the one thing that I really find unforgiveable when it comes to good actors. I can live with bad acting, but not story steerage.  

It wasn't a live performance, or a show where the budget was so low/time so tight that they could only shoot the scene once and then have to live with however it turned out. If the way she played it wasn't how the show TPTB wanted, they would've just had her do the scene again until it was the way it should be. If it was a case of her letting her emotions run away with her, she would've gotten them under control after a few times through the scene. What made it to air is what the show wanted.

Everyone involved with TGW must be relieved at how quiet things have been lately. Heh. Of course, some of that quiet is because people aren't doing interviews...

• Love 5

Well, look at this: Actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan will join the critically acclaimed drama THE GOOD WIFE as a series regular during the show’s upcoming seventh season. Morgan will play Alex, a calm, experienced hourly investigator whom Alicia hires.

It looks like the Kings have taken lessons from AP and MC on how to throw shade: 

"We've loved and admired Jeffrey Dean Morgan for years, and we were thrilled to hear that Julianna did too, so it was a no-brainer to ask him to join our troupe," said executive producers Robert and Michelle King.

Right, unlike the actress who played that other experienced investigator who worked for Alicia.

• Love 7
(edited)

The Good Wife Season 7: Makenzie Vega No Longer a Series Regular

I'm not sure she was actually a "regular" before but even less of Grace to pick-on next season.

JDM as the new investigator, huh?  Okay.  I guess Alicia needs another man because her relationships are so healthy...  I guess Jess Weixler's new gig is working out for her then.

And we still don't know who Cush Jumbo will be playing even though she was announced back in April.

Edited by milkyaqua

MV was probably a "series regular" in the sense that TGW had first position. But an actor generally doesn't want to continue to give a show first position if the show's not using it much, and Grace's presence has diminished over the seasons.

I would guess Cush Jumbo will play someone involved with Peter's presidential run. They'll need several new characters to fill out that storyline.

So Kalinda is now a dude, eh?  No one to compete with Alicia!  Er... I mean Julianna.

And Peter running for President is about as funny (and likely to succeed) as Chris Christie running for President

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't think it's his history of scandals so much as it is that he's only been governor for less than a year, and before that he was just a state's attorney. He has almost no experience governing, and from what we've heard he's been nothing special as governor so far. And yes, Obama, but Obama was a state senator for seven years first before rising to U.S. Senator and then President, and even then it was really a once-in-a-million kind of occurrence because of a lot of things Obama had going for him. Peter is not Obama.

Edited by Black Knight

The Good Wife Adds Margo Martindale — as

's Secret Weapon?

Martindale (Justified, The Americans) will play Willa Eastman, “a top campaign operative responsible for past successes by underdog presidential candidates in Iowa.” She’s known for “hiding her intelligence and cunning under a fake, folksy charm.”

“Every year we look for a character and an actor who can go toe-to-toe with Eli Gold and make him blink,” executive producers Robert and Michelle King said in a release. ”So we were thrilled when Margo Martindale agreed to play Willa Eastman. Her ability to mix comedy and drama is unparalleled. And we can’t wait to see how Margo and Alan deal with each other.”

The complete list is here for anyone curious.

It will be fun watching JM on Emmy evening.

I'm betting JM doesn't show up. Maybe it'll sink in to JM and the Kings that this show is much better as an ensemble than a star vehicle.

So glad to see some new, well-deserved names on the list, too!

• Love 1

Christine also got a supporting Emmy nom for Guest Actress for a Comedy Series for "Big Bang Theory!!"

Take that, J.M.!! (I'm still very bitter over the "tiff" or whatever it was she had with Archie, but that's strictly my opinion).

• Love 6

What goes around comes around.  She's won enough Emmys though.

So happy for CB on her two nominations and for AC as well.  I like MJ Fox, but so sick of Canning, but good for him anyway.

• Love 2

I'm betting JM doesn't show up.

Do the Emmys not do the thing where the prior year's winner presents the award to this year's winner in the opposite gender's category? Is that just the Oscars?

Peter's campaign storyline will probably double as a House of Cards parody too, only not by intention.

I am sure Julianna will show up.  She was a presenter two years ago when she was snubbed. 

It sucks that she is not nominated this year.  Even though the season was very uneven, I still feel JM's acting is always top notch.   The category is just too competitive.  Viola Davis and Taraji P. Henson were sure in with their hot new shows.  Robin Wright and Claire Danes were also predicted to be nominated.   You have just 2 spots left with JM, Kerry Washington, Lizzy Caplan, Vera Farmiga, Keri Russell, Michelle Dockery, Ruth Wilson, Elisabeth Moss.  Moss got in and surprisingly, Tatiana Maslany got in (although two years too late).  

I really hope Christine Baranski win this year.  It's a shame if she doesn't win for this role.  But the writers never give Diane any substantive storylines.  There may be a couple of good scenes once in a while but she doesn't have any strong arcs.  I think her only good tape is "Loser Edit" with her in the mock trial debating gay marriage and religious freedom.  It showcases Diane's intelligence and liberal views but it sometimes feel like the writer just try to cram in as many arguments as possible and at the end of the episode, it doesn't really affects Diane (it just feels like a story of the week). 

• Love 1

Do the Emmys not do the thing where the prior year's winner presents the award to this year's winner in the opposite gender's category? Is that just the Oscars?

The Emmys rarely does that.  They have Julia Roberts, Viola Davis, Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey before to present Best Actor/Actress for Drama Series.  It might have something to do with the fact that there are lots of repeat winners (Bryan Cranston, Jim Parsons, Julia-Louis Dreyfus, Claire Danes, etc.) so they want to mix it up.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan on Good Wife Gig: Julianna Margulies 'Closed the Deal'

TVLINE | Are you and Julianna friends?
Yes. I’ve known her for probably 10 years. I’m excited to go to work with her. When the offer had come in I was in the middle of working [on Extant] and I had to think about it. To go from one show to another without a break was a little daunting. And I got a great e-mail from Julianna and that’s what closed the deal for me. I just wrote her back and said, “I’m in.”

I guess that Archie is gone, JM is really flexing her muscles....sigh.....and no one is gonna say "no" to her.   Maybe I'm not expressing myself very well....but I'm really glad AP is no longer on the show.

• Love 1

I am sure Julianna will show up.  She was a presenter two years ago when she was snubbed. 

The Emmys rotate among the four major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox). They were on CBS two years ago, so CBS obviously would have called upon JM as one of their biggest stars to be a presenter. Fox is airing them this year (the host is Andy Samberg because of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine") so I doubt JM will be there in any capacity. My big hope is that the opening monologue has a strongly worded joke about the feud.

I was surprised that AC got a nomination this year. He was dropped last year and he didn't have a particularly strong storyline and the voters didn't love the show overall. But kudos to him, CB, and MFJ on their nominations!

What does Matt Czruchry have to do to get nominated? He's been consistently excellent, but the past couple of seasons he's really been giving it his all. The storyline of him in prison was very well acted, and you could see his tension and mounting desperation in each scene (not to mention stress-related weight loss).

I'm not a fan of MJF and especially not a fan of Louis Canning (I think he's tiresome and cartoonish), so I hope his nomination doesn't spur the Kings to feature him more.

• Love 5

MJF was nominated because he is MJF so I wouldn't worry about this affecting his screen time. While I think MFJ is a very good actor and Louis Canning can be an interesting character, this season Canning's eps were not enough for a nomination IMO. So profile and known skill came in. The unfortunate (to me) factor for screen time will be him joining Alicia in a new firm. I like Canning in small doses.

In a similar vein, Julianna will be invited to the Emmys because she's Julianna. I do think she deserved a nomination but when I saw that she didn't get one, I shrugged. First, she's won twice for this role already. Second, she is not one who falls off the roster and stays off like some of my favorites that I cross my fingers and hold my breath for every year. She has a lot of awards. She is well respected and established. She will always be in the running and particularly a year out from winning, on the invite list. While I very very much want her to win one, I had some of the same thoughts about Christine this year. I love Diane but for this season, that nomination felt a bit more like voters were just checking off known boxes. I was disappointed about Matt Czuchry's snub though. He's always been good but this year was a great year for Cary.

I'm not surprised that Julianna contacted Morgan. If there is one thing she seems to have in spades it is friends in the industry who will show up. I actually think it is good that she helps the show seal the deal with actors. Having a producer who can help recruit and keep great talent is an asset (and I'm hoping a major factor behind the promotion) though obviously that influence can also backfire for some talent. I'm probably majorly biased though because it got me extra episodes with Will Gardner.

• Love 3
(edited)

Good Wife Creators' D.C.-Based Alien Invasion Comic-Thriller BrainDead Ordered to Series at CBS

The network has given a straight-to-series, 13-episode order to Good Wife creators’ Robert and Michelle King’s one-hour comic-thriller, which is being billed as a cross between The Strain and The West Wing.

Despite the added workload, the Kings will remain EPs/showrunners on The Good Wife’s upcoming seventh season.

Also from TV Line's Ask Ausiello, Bridget Regan (Jane the Virgin) will guest star on the season seven premiere as Madeline Smulders, a plaintiff in an estate case, as a client of Alicia's.

Edited by milkyaqua

I was getting ready to check my email and saw this on my home page. It really cracked me up.....

From the article:

Asked to share her thoughts on the decision to shoot Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi separately for the years-in-the-making sequence, network president Nina Tassler said, “I’m not going to reveal movie magic. The ending of the show was a very satisfying ending for the relationship between those two characters. I stand by how [series creators] Robert and Michelle King produce their show.”

Jeez, Nina Tassler, I don't think you live in the same world I do......

Here's the link.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/cbs-boss-sidesteps-good-wife-155552520.html

• Love 2

In this day of social media, and with a more technologically sophisticated audience, there seems to be a big disconnect between studio/network executives and viewers. The fact that she thinks that without explaining "movie magic" the audience would be in the dark about how it was filmed is laughable and insulting.

Don't they have someone behind the scenes who can prepare better answers for them?

• Love 4

She's playing dumb because she'd rather appear to have misunderstood the question (pretending she thinks she's being asked to explain the technical aspects of shooting the scene) than to admit there's some sort of conflict between the two actresses. 

• Love 3