Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife in the Media

Frankly, at this point, it's just best to let it die and chalk it up to another boneheaded move by the Kings.  It's over and done.  Tassler shouldn't even had addressed it.

Hopefully, this upcoming season will be better though I don't have warm fuzzies about it thus far.

• Love 1

From CBS' Television Critics Association summer press tour:

THE GOOD WIFE (Sunday, Oct. 4)

Alicia attempts to revive her struggling law career by once again starting her own law firm, this time with the assistance of Jason Crouse (new cast member Jeffrey Dean Morgan), a calm, experienced investigator whom she hires. Also, to help with his Presidential campaign, Peter engages Willa Eastman (Margo Martindale, recurring), a national strategist who hides her intelligence and cunning under a fake, folksy charm, creating an interesting dynamic with Eli in the process. In addition, Cush Jumbo joins the cast as attorney Lucca Quinn.

THE GOOD WIFE (Sunday, Oct. 4)Alicia attempts to revive her struggling law career by once again starting her own law firm, this time with the assistance of Jason Crouse (new cast member Jeffrey Dean Morgan), a calm, experienced investigator whom she hires. Also, to help with his Presidential campaign, Peter engages Willa Eastman (Margo Martindale, recurring), a national strategist who hides her intelligence and cunning under a fake, folksy charm, creating an interesting dynamic with Eli in the process. In addition, Cush Jumbo joins the cast as attorney Lucca Quinn.

This is hilarious. By that description alone, in the real world, Alicia would be termed what is called a "job hopper."

• Love 2

Oh,gawd......I think the only reason I might watch this clusterf**k is for comic relief. Now that Archie has gone, there's really no reason for me to watch.

Now if there was a spinoff with anyone but JM, I might consider watching.... but that's just my two cents.

• Love 2

How many new characters is that? Five? (Hm...replacing Kalinda, Jon the campaign guy, Finn, Grace (mostly)...I guess it's close to parity.) Is Alicia going to spend any time at all this year with the remaining original cast members?

• Love 1

And so the only two characters I still give a damn about are the only ones not mentioned in that synopsis. Very promising, really. Also it's really funny that they've spent several adjectives to describe JDM and MM characters and not a single one for the CJ's one (probably because she has nothing to do with Alicia or the election storyline, the only two things which seem to matter for those writers, so they didn't even bother to decribe her)

Of course Peter is going to run otherwise there apparently is no other purpose for him besides have they ever really addressed the ballot box anomaly?

They haven't dumped Grace but Makenzie Vega has been moved from series regular to recurring like Graham Phillips.

'The Good Wife' Adds Peter Gallagher in a Recurring Role

Gallagher will play Irving Carver, a witty and sophisticated attorney who has been dispatched to Lockhart/Agos/Lee by his client, conservative billionaire Reese Dipple (recurring guest Oliver Platt). Irving favors a civilized and intelligent debate over bullying but is not afraid to do whatever it takes to make sure the firm is pushing his client's agenda forward.

"There was this wonderful relationship we saw being developed in the later half of the year with Christine Baranski's character, Diane, and Oliver Platt. We're going to either develop that relationship more or bring in someone from Oliver Platt's world that will continue that relationship with Diane," said Robert King.
  • Love 1

I'm laughing to myself in that so many of the folks who have appeared once or more are doing/have done quite well in The Walking Dead-Sonequa Martin-Green (she played Courtney, who I think was Alicia's assistant the first couple of seasons), Chad L.Coleman (episode Nine Hours), Seth Gilliam (eps Wanna Partner? and Closing Arguments) Lawrence Gilliard Jr (Winning Ugly), the amazing and wonderful Tovah Feldshuh (Doubt), also Dallar Roberts's as Alicia's brother. Those are the ones I found on short notice. :)

Kinda cool, imo.

I hope this comment is okay under this topic.

I'm laughing to myself in that so many of the folks who have appeared once or more are doing/have done quite well in The Walking Dead-Sonequa Martin-Green (she played Courtney, who I think was Alicia's assistant the first couple of seasons), Chad L.Coleman (episode Nine Hours), Seth Gilliam (eps Wanna Partner? and Closing Arguments) Lawrence Gilliard Jr (Winning Ugly), the amazing and wonderful Tovah Feldshuh (Doubt), also Dallar Roberts's as Alicia's brother. Those are the ones I found on short notice. :)

Kinda cool, imo.

I hope this comment is okay under this topic.

Should probably go in actors in other roles thread. I can't remember if we have one for this show.

And, another interview insulting fans, this time with the Kings, some highlights:

We are certainly never ever hoping to hurt the fans’ feelings or make them feel like that trust has been broken. But we’re making the show every day using tricks, like if you’re in a car and there’s green screen and it looks like Chicago out the window but that’s not exactly where we are. That’s an every day, run-of-the-mill thing on the show.

Why, it's just everyday movie magic! Why all the fuss?!

Just so we’re clear, Josh wasn’t really killed. We faked those gunshots. We fake everything in the show, so I can address this on a storytelling level that there was no intent ever to dupe the viewers. We’ll be an open book there.

Wait, what, Josh, the actor, isn't really dead?  That IS some fancy movie magic at work here!  Thanks for clearing that up.

I do know what you are going after, and the only thing I will address is the storytelling. The mechanics of how we do our show is its own thing and we’re usually an open book about it, until it comes down to gossip.

That should have been the entirety of their comment on this issue. Sheesh.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 11

I was actually considering giving the show one last chance. Not anymore. I don't appreciate being treated like a child who has yet to develop cognitive thinking.

I'm done with this show.

• Love 6

Looks like that's just the company line - probably designed by some spin doctor. It's awkward as hell and adds more damage. At this point as an interviewer I wouldn't even go there anymore. Sooner or later someone will spill the beans.

• Love 1

Why the heck couldn't they (the Kings) just let this die?  It was bad enough when Tassler tried to spin it (another case of someone needing to let sleeping dogs lie).  The Fall season is almost here for chrissakes...move on.

At this point forget about insulting your audience's intelligence, this falls under "there's no such thing as bad publicity" if you're the cynical kind.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1

Good Wife to Pit Peter vs. Hillary in Season 7 Presidential Showdown

Good Wife exec producer Robert King tells TVLine that art will indeed imitate real-life politics when Peter launches his own bid for the Democratic ticket. “If Peter runs, he is running against Hillary,” he confirms, conceding that it’s “amazing” CBS is “letting us do that.”

Depending on how things play out on the real political stage, King reserves the right to veer “off from reality at some point” (i.e., Hillary winning the Democratic nod doesn’t preclude Peter doing the same). One thing that does seem unlikely: any mention of rogue republican rabble-rouser Donald Trump. Explains fellow EP Michelle King: “Peter is running on the democratic ticket, so at this point there’s not been reason to bring [him] up.”

So at what point do they resolve the whole fraudulent voting storyline from his governors race first?

Edited by milkyaqua

The Kings have become such stupid assholes.  I mean they're trying to move the needle on this so it's about fans overreacting, when it in fact always was about them lying.

And they're still lying (by claiming that they "never intended to dupe fans").

Bullshit. Stop insulting us.

• Love 9

I know the Kings don't like it when the audience confuses real life and fiction bur part of me wishes that Eli Gold would take over the show's PR department. I'm pretty sure he could come up with a better strategy to deal with Kalindagate than what we've seen so far from CBS/the Kings.

And more campaign shenanigans is exactly what I wanted to see, well that and Alicia starting another new firm of her own - yeah right. At this point the prospect of Margo Martindale butting heads with Alan Cumming is about the only thing that keeps me watching.

They had (and in a way even with Archie gone STILL have) a simple problem. They jumped through elaborate hoops, at first simply dodging, then lying like crazy, to avoid pissing off their diva star that the show is named after.  

Really if they ever had the balls, all they had to say was:

"Look, we've got to confess we had some conflict on the set. We've decided it's not appropriate to talk about who, if anyone, was to blame, how it came about, or what specific steps were taken, other than to say that, yes, we decided filming would go smoother and so ultimately look more believable if we shot the scene the way we did--so the actors in question could simply focus on their own performances. We take the blame for not handing the situation better--there might have been a way, but we took the easiest route at that point. We don't want to insult people's intelligence by implying that we weren't aware it was possible that they might come to the conclusion that a statement we were making about the CHARACTERS coming together a final time might be misconstrued as applying to the actors in question.  We just didn't think it would be necessary--or fair to the actors involved--to focus on this issue when we spoke about the scene in the press. We won't comment any further on this issue, and if asked refer people back to this as our final statement."

There you go. Something like that.  Julianna might STILL be pissed off by something like that, but if she isn't aware by now that people blame her anyway.... she's a fool.

Asked about this in any future followups, you simply say "we've already said all we're going to say about this issue". Which is a fair thing to say IF you've at least somewhat come clear already (and admit there are things you won't talk about--don't HEDGE around that). If you haven't come clean though, you sound like a douchebag saying that--so they have to.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 9

Looks like that's just the company line - probably designed by some spin doctor. It's awkward as hell and adds more damage. At this point as an interviewer I wouldn't even go there anymore. Sooner or later someone will spill the beans.

If a spin doctor coached them to answer that way then whoever was advising them should be fired.  I would think that the advise would be to answer exactly what was asked as briefly as possible.  That was a word vomit of non-answers. 

I'm shocked that Ausiello even brought it up.  He usually puts up with it to keep his access.  He must still be feeling like a real chump.

The Kings responses were ridiculous, they just sounded stupid and avoiding at all costs. The constant bringing up Charles and trying to compare the killing of the character with the nonsense of having to CGI an episode because 2 actors issues off set didn't make any sense.

• Love 1
Just so we’re clear, Josh wasn’t really killed. We faked those gunshots. We fake everything in the show, so I can address this on a storytelling level that there was no intent ever to dupe the viewers. We’ll be an open book there.

Ugggggghhhhhh. How can they POSSIBLY be serious with this bull? I didn't finish last season, I feel pretty okay with that decision now.

• Love 1
Good Wife to Pit Peter vs. Hillary in Season 7 Presidential Showdown

Oh, gawd. The show keeps getting stupider and stupider....just like the Kings and the rest of the folks running the show.

Glad I'm not gonna be watching. It's gonna be much more fun, imo, to just come here and read y'all's comments.

• Love 5

From Ask Ausiello:

Question: Can you please find out if The Good Wife will be bringing Robyn back this season? With Kalinda gone, Lockhart Agos Lee needs a new investigator. —Maddie
Ausiello: Series co-creator Robert King would love to make that happen, but he needs your help. “Can everybody write Jess Weixler and get her to move to New York again?” chuckles the EP of Robyn’s L.A.-based portrayer, before further explaining that budget restrictions preclude the show from “flying her out for every episode” — at least for the time being. “Jess is amazing,” King adds, “and things may change; they always do.” In the meantime, Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s freelance investigator character will fill the Kalinda void at both Lockhart Agos Lee and Alicia’s fledgling new practice, a juggling act King says “is going to cause some strain” between the rival firms.

From TV Line Good Wife Season 7 First Look: Alicia and Peter Hit the Campaign Trail:

For starters, the lawyer is attempting to revive her “struggling” — CBS’ words, not ours — law career by representing a less fancy clientele: arrestees seeking release on bail in bond court.

Then there’s her hubby Peter, with whom Alicia hasn’t always been on the best of terms. Still, she appears to be helping him with his presidential campaign by putting in a public appearance on a morning show.
  • Love 1

It's odd if an actress offered a regular part in a highly acclaimed drama series wouldn't move to the city where production is for the duration.

But it seems to me part of a (sad) trend on the show: one thing I loved about it in its first few years was all the great women, many of whom were allowed to have full lives. Now, it seems like the percentage of male characters is going way up.

• Love 1

Looks to me as if Robyn's part was always hanging in limbo - depending on how a) Kalinda's arc and b) the Florrick Agos arc was going to play out. Lots of uncertainty plus on-set drama and the fact that even main cast members were not given much to do last season: all good reasons for reluctance on Jessie Wexler's side to fully commit to the shwo I'd say.

At least we get Margo Martindale this season

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1

It's odd if an actress offered a regular part in a highly acclaimed drama series wouldn't move to the city where production is for the duration.

I didn't get from that story that she had been offered a spot as a regular, just that it was too expensive to fly her back and forth as a guest actor.  Was there something earlier that said she had been offered a set number of episodes as a regular? 

I posted about this earlier but Jess Weixler has been working on other proejcts that made it not really possible for her to work on The Good Wife.  Why King didn't simply say that is beyond me but whatever.  Her not coming back or not being available wasn't the real point of that article for me anyway but the JDM part of it because of course two law firms sharing the same investigator makes so much sense.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 4

Her not coming back or not being available wasn't the real point of that article for me anyway but the JDM part of it because of course two law firms sharing the same investigator makes so much sense.

That had me wondering too - freelancing? Won't there be conflicts of interest? But more disturbing for me is that this seems to imply another season of watching Alicia and her law firm of the day against Lockhart, Agos, Lee (??? I've completely lost track of who is partnering who, sorry). Been there - done that. Same goes for the campaign arc. Hopefully that 'less fancy clientele' angle will add something new to the plot.

Cary news from Ask Ausiello at TV Line:

Question: Will Cary finally catch a break on The Good Wife? —David

Ausiello: Yes, he’ll finally catch a break in Season 7 — and that in itself will cause him angst. “Throughout his six years on the show, he has always been the person struggling the most to maintain his career,” notes exec producer Robert King. “Now he’s in the most secure position ever. He’s a partner at Chicago’s third-largest firm. And he’s only 34. He’s the youngest person in the room almost by a decade or two, and that creates a very big strain for him because A) he’s not used to not struggling and B) he finds himself drawn to the [younger] associates. He’s caught between the people over him and beneath him. That creates a great, interesting comic strain for Matt Czuchry.”

• Love 1

Cary news from Ask Ausiello at TV Line:

You know, in the right hands, that could turn out into something interesting for the character and the actor. But since we're talking about Robert King and Co. it will mostly turn out into a bunch of random and purposeless scenes and mostly into a complete turkey.

• Love 4

The Good Wife's Jeffrey Dean Morgan Has His Eyes on the Prize — First Look

From Ask Ausiello:

Question: How much Grace will we see on Good Wife now that Makenzie Vega isn’t a regular? —Joyce

Ausiello: Quite a bit, actually. “You’re going to see exactly as much of Grace as you would any other season,” insists exec producer Michelle King. “She will be as involved in Alicia’s life as any teenager of her age would be.” Fellow EP Robert King adds that Grace may even be more of a fixture this season now that she will be working as her mom’s assistant. “We’re going to see a new side of Grace,” he reveals, “not just the religious side.”

Oh, for the love of Pete, just stop talking about Panjabi, all of you, you look ridiculous:)!  This time it's Margulies....one highlight, on the obvious split screen finale shot of her/Panjabi:

It was shot the way Robert wanted to shoot it, and the story line, too," she said. "You also have to remember, there’s difficulty. … [Panjabi] was also doing another show, called The Fall. I went along with whatever Robert asked me to do and I did it happily

Translation, 'I am but a mere foot soldier in this show, I simply do as I am told, happily. I do I do not understand this feud of which you speak.  Because...storyline, sexism, producer's vision, scheduling. Not my fault!'

Someone on twitter mentioned that "The Fall" hasn't filmed since June, 2014....just saying.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 8

Ouch! Why not go with 'no comment' - at this point yelling 'look a flying monkey' and pointing behind the interviewer would be a better strategy than what we've seen over the past couple of months.

• Love 4