Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: FFwSB

• Start Topic

The conservative site Newsbusters covered last night's "Full Frontal." Pretty sure this is NOT a joke, since people who write for Newsbusters have no sense of humor:

Neither do their readers.  Check out the comments.  Yikes.  And I'm not even a liberal.  I don't agree with Samantha's views on everything but she's really, really hit her stride very well.  I look forward to her show each week.

I did a literal WTF at my screen at the information that some idiot lawmakers want to make it a felony to introduce a bill banning weapon.  I don't even know where I stand on gun control, but I know exactly where I stand on infringement of first amendment rights and interfering with the democratic process.

• Love 1

This show makes Mondays worth suffering through. It's just so sharp.

Any Letterman fans here who recognize one of his writers on the show? He did some great deadpan bits on Late Night and seems to be doing the same here. I can't remember his name!

• Love 1

It's hard for me to even talk about the whole gun control issue because it makes me so angry. But the people who are advocating for students to rush the gun man are operating on the same Wild West mentality that everyone packing heat will make someone a hero. Fire drills, tornado drills and earthquake drills (and even the "Duck and Cover" drills of the 1950s) taught students to protect themselves. Nobody was telling them to run to the drinking fountain, fill up cups of water and try to put the fire out themselves. That's the equivalent of what these idiotic "rush the gun man" advocates are saying. So what if he only kills one or two people? Someone will be a hero and prevent him from killing more people! The needs of the many! 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 8

This show makes Mondays worth suffering through. It's just so sharp.

Any Letterman fans here who recognize one of his writers on the show? He did some great deadpan bits on Late Night and seems to be doing the same here. I can't remember his name!

Joe Grossman.  I had to rewind it to make sure it was him standing on the ladder.  

I love this show.

• Love 2

Samantha Bee is throwing some big words at me. On episode 5 (March 7) where Samantha refers to Sarah Palin as an "Artic Menad"? Does anyone know how to spell and the definition of "Artic Menad"? Please be kind.Thank you.

• Love 1

Samantha Bee is throwing some big words at me. On episode 5 (March 7) where Samantha refers to Sarah Palin as an "Artic Menad"? Does anyone know how to spell and the definition of "Artic Menad"? Please be kind.Thank you.

I think it's "Maenad," which "have been depicted in art as erratic and frenzied women enveloped in a drunken rapture," according to Wikipedia. Maybe Sam has a writer who was a classics major?

• Love 3

I love having a show with a woman's perspective.  While not everything is necessarily "as a woman", just by virtue of her being one, she sees things differently from the white-male perspective we get with 90% of other late night humor shows.  It like how Larry Wilmore's show also just naturally has a different perspective on events because he is black (along with the majority of his contributors).  i love the diversity.

• Love 9

I love having a show with a woman's perspective.  While not everything is necessarily "as a woman", just by virtue of her being one, she sees things differently from the white-male perspective we get with 90% of other late night humor shows.  It like how Larry Wilmore's show also just naturally has a different perspective on events because he is black (along with the majority of his contributors).  i love the diversity.

Totally agree. We are two old white people and we love Larry's show and now Samantha's

• Love 6

Thanks, Trow125, that works!  I'm watching the show right now and paused (literally two minutes ago) to google what closed captioning presented as "minad":

(Spain) Informal second-person plural affirmative imperative form of minar.  Mmm, no bueno.

I was not a Bee fan on TDS, but she is ROCKING this.  I love it!

• Love 2

I love that clip of Cruz in The Crucible. "Why am I PERsecuted?"

The segment on the Kentucky governor was great.

I liked the segment on Sam with the Trump supporters. You've got to give them credit for appearing on the show. The black guy spoke so fast I couldn't always understand what he was saying, but that one blonde gal was a dimwit. She has no clue about the realities of building a wall and getting Mexico to pay for it.

BTW, what did the one guy say just before Sam said, "Who feels like a party?" It was something horrible, I think.

• Love 3

I give her mad credit for being as kind to those Trump supporters as she was. I wanted to put my head through the wall with all the double talk lack of reasoning and BS they were spewing. They sincerely believe in this guy who has proven nothing in his life and said nothing but offensive and disturbing mambo jumbo.
When she asked the young black man if he thought Trump was a racist and he couldn't even answer for fear of being struck dead by lightening, I was stunned into silence. You think he's racist but what???? Oy.

The blonde was dumb..."they will just pay for it :-)" 

That other guy was "passionate". Yup that's the word. Passionate.  

"Why am I being PERSECUTED!" (best clip ever). Trump or Cruz? What is HAPPENING here?

Head. Desk. Wall.  

• Love 3

The Cruz segment had me in stitches.  I've encountered a lot of people over the past few months who state they support Cruz because he's so disliked.  It boggles my mind that being obscenely disliked is somehow a positive.  It seems a lot of people conclude that being dislike means that he's not beholden to anyone and I'm always looking wide-eyed and frantically pounding my fists to the table trying to explain how being disliked doesn't mean what they think it means.  

They sincerely believe in this guy who has proven nothing in his life and said nothing but offensive and disturbing mambo jumbo.

Not only believe, but manage to blame "liberals" for all of Trump's factual, demonstrable lies. "It's because he's being covered unfairly by the media!"

• Love 3

Not only believe, but manage to blame "liberals" for all of Trump's factual, demonstrable lies. "It's because he's being covered unfairly by the media!"

That's what really frightens me in all this, not just with Trump but in general. Facts don't work and simply quoting Trump completely and IN CONTEXT still doesn't work. It's like they will only believe what they want to believe and everything else is just the media being mean to poor old Donnie or some plot! The same media that doesn't push him, covers him incessantly and essentially kisses his butt. Yup that very very "liberal" media. 

I was going to try to make a point about how I could maybe see their side, then I realized I couldn't do it. Facts and logic make them triple down on their support and their hatred of the "others". It's astonishing and mind blowing, and so sad. 

For all the years I've heard that Obama was Hitler, the irony is thick.

#ThanksTrump

• Love 7

Either those people Samantha was talking to were actors, or they truly are wide eyed zombie dumbfucks for Drumph. Perhaps one of these shows (TDS or someone else) that brings these Drumph backers in to talk about why they love this thing will end up getting yelled at by the person talking to them (Jessica?) with words like WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU BUNGHOLES???!!!!! But I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

The funny thing about Samantha packing a suitcase with a Canadian flag stuck on the side is that she wouldn't have any problem clearing any paperwork or red tape in moving north because she's already one of us!

• Love 1

Either those people Samantha was talking to were actors, or they truly are wide eyed zombie dumbfucks for Drumph. 

They might have technically been actors, but my experience with Drumpf supporters tells me that they were probably the real deal.  They never make any sense and it's always the liberal media's fault when Trump is found to have lied or supported the KKK or whatever.  

Just a note - this forum has the same 'No politics' rule as the rest of the site. That said, it's obviously impossible to discuss this show WITHOUT discussing politics. So we do allow that conversation to happen here - as it pertains to the episode. Discussion of what Samantha Bee covers is obviously allowed, but please be sure you're sticking with discussion related to the episode, and not going full throttle on election talk. There are plenty of other places on the web to argue politics!

This is just a reminder - nothing has been removed or edited, just letting you know the same rule applies in here as do in the other topical shows. Resume posting!

I'm pretty sure the people were real.  I remember hearing an interview on NPR's "This American Life" about a black, gay Trump supporter dealing with the cognitive dissonance of Trump's statements and supporters, and I'm pretty sure it was the same guy as this episode.  So at least I think he was real, don't know about the other people.

I continue to be impressed with how direct and biting Samantha is in the satire.  She seems to enjoy making the audience gasp, which is awesome.  Currently only her and John Oliver seem to be in that groove, Colbert was there back on Comedy Central.  I'm sure the show is cheap for TBS, so assuming it's getting even decent ratings it'd be a no-brainer for TBS to renew it.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 4

The Drumpf fans did their best to come across as calm and reasoned, but a couple of questions Samantha asked hit a nerve and they got defensive. They abandoned being measured, got agitated and all started talking at the same time. That was telling. 

• Love 1

All I could think during that segment was, "what a nice party they got". There seemed to be more people that were invited to the party section than part of the panel being questioned though.  I wonder why some people didn't make the cut.

I loved the visual of the Alien bursting out of the stomach as Samantha narrated "Ted Cruz was born in Canada." I can't think of anything to say about the Trump supporters she spoke to without potentially being offensive so I'll just shut it.

• Love 2

I loved the visual of the Alien bursting out of the stomach as Samantha narrated "Ted Cruz was born in Canada." I can't think of anything to say about the Trump supporters she spoke to without potentially being offensive so I'll just shut it.

Me, too, to your second sentence.

As for the first, I nearly choked on my own saliva laughing when that image came up.

As I watch each new episode, I think that it cannot possibly be better than the one from the previous week....and then, it is!!! What a delight--and relief!-- to have this show .  

AS for the Drumpf followers segment, I thought it was brilliant to have them all dress in clothing one might associate as  office or business attire-- rather than the 'colorful' garb seen so often at his rallies. What I means is, that made it almost sinister--like something out of the Twilight Zone....strange creatures walking among us who look just like us.

• Love 1

I do think it's great that the naysayers who went on about how this kind of show was dying with the one-two punch of Colbert Report and The Daily Show with Stewart ending are probably quietly in a corner eating their words now.  The new one-two punch is John Oliver and Samatha Bee, even if they're both only once per week. The two of them have taken up the mantle quite well. Heck, on the daily front we even have to give credit to Larry Wilmore, who isn't quite as sharp or insightful as these two, but has come a long way from his early episodes. 

• Love 4

Recognition alert: that Elon guy from Episode 5 in that hilarious interview about "training" kids for school shootings? He was last seen on Child Genius as the parent of one of the genius kids.

This girl is on fire. What a show. I love Samantha's rage here.

I was recently watching the segment (on Episode 4) where she insults, to his face, the anti-abortion lawmaker from Texas. Lord. the level of the rage rolling off of her was epic. Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

It seems clear that the Republican Senators simply want to thwart President Obama no matter what as if they can somehow void his entire term of office.  I can't help but wonder how much that is due to some of these men simply hating the idea they had to live to see a Black man in the White House.  I wonder what a Hillary Clinton Presidency will draw from such small creatures.  Sad to say I think much of the same and yet the fact she is white might be a tiny consolation.

Because it seems clear they do want Garland on the table until November.   And I have to wonder if not just because they are afraid of what Clinton would bring but also what would happen if they filibustered any nomination by President Obama and Drumpf won.  Or even Cruz won.  I think there are a few heads that are thinking that playing shit with the Constitution so blatantly for almost nine months and then having either of them put someone forth might just see the Senate go back to a Democratic Super Majority by the next mid term election.  The ironic thing is actually Drumpf would probably pick a moderate and pick someone who would go over well with most people.  Simply because he would see it as stroking his own ego he picked someone most people wouldn't object to. 

Cruz on the other hand has shown again and again how he see the extreme nature of his party to be a familiar and comfortable crowd he can condescend to and his own takes on the Constitution are downright scary.  If I thought you could bring people back from the dead I'd almost want Scalia back than whoever Cruz would want to take the seat. 

Okay that is a bit of stretch.  If I really believed you could bring people back from the dead I'd already have made sure Scalia had a stake in his heart, silver nails in his limbs and maybe just set him on fire before his body left the Rotunda.   I loathed that man and I loathe what he helped to to this country it will take generations to clean up and restore the very Constitution he cherry picked to death to take as much power as he could from what true Democratic voting power the people have.

• Love 5

I loved (in a wonky way, not a sentimental way, because: ew) the dude claiming that most of the untested rape kits aren't from real rapes, just sex that occurred past the point of consent. And that Sam wailed "That's what rape is!!" Idaho dude is Exhibit A in the research that confirms that rapists will happily confess to rape, just as long as you don't call it rape.

• Love 6

The RapeCo Co LLC - making rapes even more rapier. 

Brilliant take-down of the so-called "Biden rule." And my God, did Biden actually say that about going into a Seven Eleven? Gobsmacked.

I hope her opening with Tiny Gloria Steinem was just a joke and not an actual sign that TBS is asking her to try to appeal more to men 18-34 or whatever demographic she mentioned. I haven't heard anything about the ratings but I pray this show is doing well. 

• Love 1

The delaying of the justice is unreal. If they refuse to accept this guy for a year, they're setting a brand new precedent. Next time it won't be the last year of a term, it'll be ANY justice put forth by the opposing party.

I swear, they are on their way to saying that the democratically elected president of the opposite party is illegitimate in priniciple. In all areas. And the only way this country will be able to govern at all is if one party has control of all branches.

• Love 6

Brilliant take-down of the so-called "Biden rule." And my God, did Biden actually say that about going into a Seven Eleven? Gobsmacked.

I couldn't understand what he said.

This was another great show. Wowza. 

The whole thing about rape kits being destroyed (after languishing in storage for years) was maddening, so I'm glad Sam put a light on it. Unfortunately, the audience is not big enough. I admit I haven't watched network or CNN news in a while. Has this story been in the MSM?

And her screaming incredulously at the Senator who didn't think the bill was necessary was tremendous. 

I enjoyed the atheist segment too, particularly because it was narrated by the Werner Herzog clone. "It's difficult to have a movement without an asshole." And yes, that guy was an asshole, but I liked hearing him being so direct and sharp with people. I also ADORED that one guy...

Woman: I'll pray for you.

Man: OK. I'll think for you.

HA!

• Love 6

What does that atheist think he's going to accomplish by acting like an obnoxious asshole to all those conservative Christians? That they're going to come around to his way of thinking? Militant atheists are as bad as religious extremists, IMHO.

• Love 2

The atheist rep pointed out quite correctly that people who do not have an affiliated religion are a growing percentage of the voting electorate, and the Republican party ignores them to their own detriment. The increasingly religious slant to the Republican platform is bringing them a diminished number of voters in each election cycle. And that saying nonsensical things like "there are no atheists in the foxhole" (which has no factual basis behind it) is insulting and offensive to non-believers. I'm not sure what you mean by "militant atheists" either; the term suggest such people are engaging in warfare. There's nothing wrong with people standing up for their rights.

• Love 3

I'm not sure I can recall a militant atheist killing anyone because they didn't believe in not believing in a deity. Or denying minority groups legal protections under the law because they cherry picked a few phrases out of context of whichever 1000+ year book. So, I can't really say that they're as bad a religious extremists. 

• Love 10

If people choose to be obnoxious about their non faith and get into other people's faces about why being a Christian/Muslim/Buddhist is a waste of their lives, then they deserved to be called for it as much as someone trying to impose their faith on everybody else's. Perhaps it's just the Canadian in me, where people tend to keep their faiths more private and not out in the open and others of non faith are more agnostic and practical. But being an asshole about it is just going to turn off more people than convincing them otherwise.

• Love 2

Being an asshole isn't going to advance the cause of anything. Atheism, nuclear energy, pro-choice. Militant atheists aren't religious extremists, however. This is two different issues. Considering the mega millennia of bloodshed in the name of any religion, or the more contemporary comparison of the republican overtly religious slant, to the point where a presidential candidate fomented literal murder in the case of Planned Parenthood. Someone being obnoxious and calling people stupid doesn't really equal that. 

• Love 6

It's pretty obvious what his purpose is.  To bring awareness.  It seems pretty reasonable to both shed a spotlight on atheists and agnostics as well as to pull the political parties back to secularism.  I mean, religion before women's health is on the chopping block AGAIN, states all over the place are trying to pass 'religious freedom' laws to make is legal for people to discriminate against LGBT under the guise of their gods, etc.  Who's the douchebag? 

• Love 4