Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Apparently, ABC Upfronts featured a video with Quantico agents interrogating Charming, a power point presentation with Hook's face, and something about Lana, Jen and SnapChat that has the CS fandom cackling in amusement but I haven't understood 100% yet, since I don't have SnapChat.

• Love 1
(edited)

From what I gather, Lana was on snapchat then turned the camera to Jen in the distance. Jen then turned and walked away a little. It was so dark I couldn't really tell it was Jen but apparently it was.

CS is celebrating because you know CS vs. SQ and all that stupid competition stuff. They thought it was funny Jen faced the opposite direction when Lana turned the camera to her. 

Edited by Stuffy
2 hours ago, Stuffy said:

From what I gather, Lana was on snapchat then turned the camera to Jen in the distance. Jen then turned and walked away a little. It was so dark I couldn't really tell it was Jen but apparently it was.

CS is celebrating because you know CS vs. SQ and all that stupid competition stuff. They thought it was funny Jen faced the opposite direction when Lana turned the camera to her. 

It's pretty much widely speculated Jen does not like Lana. I wouldn't like her either what with her baiting SQ fans all the time and then when they don't get their way they go and attack Jennifer. Queen Lana can do no wrong.

• Love 1

I don't know anything about their relationship of course, but that sounds an awful lot like fans projecting their own attitudes onto the actors. I doubt either of them spend even a tiny fraction of their days thinking about "Swan Queen" or shipping or the others' relationship with fans (my guess is just about every actor on a TV show with hardcore fandoms generally agree that their fans are effing nuts, if a necessary evil) — especially compared to the amount of time they spend actually interacting with each other as professionals and people. 

• Love 12

The show really relies on Jmo for press duties.  At the start of the show it was shared between Jmo and Ginny but now Jmo does most of the heavy lifting.  Not that I'm complaining as I could listen to her talk about the show and Emma all day.  

(edited)

Has anyone heard the Hot 100 single "Lost Boy" by Canadian singer Ruth B.?  Guess what show is the inspiration...

the Peter Pan character in the TV show Once Upon A Time is the one who inspired Ruth B to write her hit. After watching an episode, she headed downstairs to her keyboard. “I was in a Peter Pan headspace,” she remembers. “I sang that first line out of nowhere.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7334174/ruth-b-lost-boy-hot-100-hit-finding-neverland

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/ruth-b-lost-boy-music-video

I really have no idea which episode she could have watched to find the inspiration for this song, LOL.  Maybe she watched "Heart of the Truest Believer" but missed the final scene.

I found another article:

So, I guess at the time that that happened I had already built a little bit of a following, but I was watching the show and it was all about Peter Pan  so I went down to my keyboard, like I usually do, and I randomly sang the line “I’m a lost boy from Neverland/used to hang out with Peter Pan” — and didn’t think much of it. Then, once I posted it, it got like a crazy reaction. I think it was like 84,000 likes in the first week, which was super unusual at the time for me. And originally the comments were, “Hey you should turn this into a full song, we really like it,” so I kinda did just that. I sat down and I wrote a song.

I think the most important thing about that is that when I made the original Vine it was just about a TV show; it was just a couple words with a catchy melody, but when I sat down to write the song I really wanted to make a point, to give the song a message and like, you know, make it important and give something that people … that they could understand and relate with. I didn’t want it just to be about Peter Pan, so I tried to just make it about, you know, everyone gets lonely sometimes, everyone needs a friend and that feeling anyone can understand. And I think that’s why people connected with the song the way that they did.

http://www.andpop.com/2015/11/30/ruth-b-talks-vine-the-intro-getting-inspired-by-once-upon-a-time/

Edited by Camera One

That's funny, @Camera One, because I just heard that song on the radio for the first time this weekend and thought to myself, "If only this artist watched OUAT, the lyrics would be much different." But they actually used the show as inspiration?! I guess the only line that actually gives a shoutout to the show is this one:

He sprinkled me in pixie dust and told me to believe / Believe in him and believe in me / Together we will fly away in a cloud of green

(edited)
On 5/23/2016 at 7:52 AM, Curio said:

That's funny, @Camera One, because I just heard that song on the radio for the first time this weekend and thought to myself, "If only this artist watched OUAT, the lyrics would be much different." But they actually used the show as inspiration?! I guess the only line that actually gives a shoutout to the show is this one:

I felt the same way when I found out the inspiration.  Then again, I'm now assuming like any viewer of the show, she eventually just tuned out and made up her own headcanon.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I actually feel like tumblr is better than Twitter, since tumblr is mostly about posting photos, while Twitter is the place for crazies to spew random nonsense at anyone they want. Not that tumblr doesn't have its issue, I just find it much less aggravating than Twitter.

• Love 2

I think the main problem I see with actors joining tumblr is that it's much more of a fandom space than Twitter that's being used for so many different things. And it's a place that most fans likely consider safe to say/post things they're willing to share with their fellow fans, but would not necessarily want any of the people they are in fact posting about to see. Like their fanfic or certain arts or even any slightly embarrassing, fangirl/boyish text posts. We talk about certain boundaries that should still exist between fandom on the one hand and those involved in bringing the show to life on the other in the fandom thread all the time and this oddly enough feels, at least to me, like one of the cast (likely unintentionally) taking a big step across one of said lines. But then again I'm generally extremely wary of any TPTB involving themselves in fandom spaces these days because, well... "The 100" debacle.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, RedKeep said:

I think the main problem I see with actors joining tumblr is that it's much more of a fandom space than Twitter that's being used for so many different things. And it's a place that most fans likely consider safe to say/post things they're willing to share with their fellow fans, but would not necessarily want any of the people they are in fact posting about to see. Like their fanfic or certain arts or even any slightly embarrassing, fangirl/boyish text posts. We talk about certain boundaries that should still exist between fandom on the one hand and those involved in bringing the show to life on the other in the fandom thread all the time and this oddly enough feels, at least to me, like one of the cast (likely unintentionally) taking a big step across one of said lines. But then again I'm generally extremely wary of any TPTB involving themselves in fandom spaces these days because, well... "The 100" debacle.

Taking this to the fandom thread.

I would love it if Regina wins the most obvious twist, just to send a sign to the writers that we're not looking forward to the next arc as much as they think we are.

• Love 3

What the hell.  "Once" is winning for "Best Ending for an Otherwise So-So Season".  Are we watching a different realm of storytelling from everyone else?

Hook and Emma saying I Love You for the fourth or fifth time?  Who even picks these choices.  

• Love 1
(edited)

What the hell.  "Once" is winning for "Best Ending for an Otherwise So-So Season".  Are we watching a different realm of storytelling from everyone else?

Should be "Best Season for a So-So Ending"

I would love it if Regina wins the most obvious twist, just to send a sign to the writers that we're not looking forward to the next arc as much as they think we are.

That twist was so contrived (relative to the rest of the season), yet we saw it coming from a mile away. Go figure.

Edited by KingOfHearts
7 hours ago, Camera One said:

Hook and Emma saying I Love You for the fourth or fifth time?  Who even picks these choices.  

Well, with the way the ILY is being trated by ABC or the writers, if you don't watch the show, you would believe it's their first one. Hell, even some fans that watch the show are treating it as if it was the first time she says it to him. 

Emma and Hook's "I love you" came in a far second to the Clexa kiss for best shipper moment, which doesn't surprise me. Isn't that the lesbian couple that just had one of them killed off?

Yep. I'm glad that "I love you" moment didn't win because it was super anti-climatic. Now if it was a proposal of some type, then we'd have a much different story...

The Twist You Saw Coming award was well-earned. I'm not sure about the finale award though. Looking at the other nominees, I can't even remember hearing about their finales, and Downton's was nice and sweet but not all that memorable. Perhaps it really was just a matter of being better than the other ones it was up against? I don't know. I liked this season, I liked the dark stuff and the Underworld stuff and the emphasis on Hook and Emma. There were some major issues, but that always happens to this show.

And I'm double posting, but I found something that I thought was relevant: TV is killing off so many characters that death is losing its punch from Vox. I need to dig into a bit more, but it's seems really in-depth, particularly with a graphic this season that included three "deaths" from Once -- Arthur, Hades and of course, Robin. I particularly liked one of the sub-titles for a section in the story -- "Making a death count takes time, care, and emotional investment" Um.... so yea.... (Be warned that there are SPOILERS in this story, including a huge graphic with all the TV deaths from the 2015-16 television season.)

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, sharky said:

I particularly liked one of the sub-titles for a section in the story -- "Making a death count takes time, care, and emotional investment" Um.... so yea.... (Be warned that there are SPOILERS in this story, including a huge graphic with all the TV deaths from the 2015-16 television season.)

Yeah, no kidding! That's why I often could care less about some of these characters. I need to get to know them first.  The same thing goes for couples.  I can't get into an insta-romance because I can't feel much for the characters together if I haven't seen that emotional journey.  I would love it if they would slow things down and whittle down the cast and limit the number of guest stars each season. More isn't always better. There are a lot of things going on,  but it all feels too shallow.

I love this quote from the article, too: "But the problem now is it has this core of actually beloved characters and a lot of side characters. So it’s mostly offing these side characters. To me, it feels like the show is too fearful of killing off a big character except as some special event."

Edited by OnceUponAJen

Oddly, I'm reminded of the time when, after Torvill and Dean's spectacular Bolero at the 1984 Winter Olympics (they "die" at the end), a Russian couple went on to "die" four separate times in their routine. Four times! Crazy.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Oddly, I'm reminded of the time when, after Torvill and Dean's spectacular Bolero at the 1984 Winter Olympics (they "die" at the end), a Russian couple went on to "die" four separate times in their routine. Four times! Crazy.

I think a few years later, people were banned from lying down on the ice in ice dancing because so many people had 'died' in their routines and it was getting out of control. 

Graham number 2? No. Jamie Dornan does nothing for me. I guess I get why people think he's attractive, but he leaves me cold. The correct ranking is obviously the following:

1. Hook

2. Merlin

3. Jefferson

4. Lancelot

5. Charming in that moment when he fights his way through the Black Knights with baby Emma in the crook of his arm

Can't be bothered with the rest. 

• Love 4

That article is pretty gross, even as a joke it's bad. It's just as gross when women talk about men merely as fuckable objects as when men objectify women in that way.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, orza said:

That article is pretty gross, even as a joke it's bad. It's just as gross when women talk about men merely as fuckable objects as when men objectify women in that way.

Totally right on the girls' comments, much not necessary.

Even though, the beauty list does not bother me, if we take away objectfying comments and think only about looks and character.

Merlin is the hottest guy to have been in this show. I'd put Arthur, August, Graham, Hyde, and Hercules above Hook. But as soon as I saw the article's title, I couldn't imagine how they thought of 38. I could only think of 10, tops (and that was being generous). More if you include OUATiW--Cyrus, Will, and Naveen Andrews were hotter than anyone on the main show. Most of the people on this list aren't attractive to me... I mean, The Author, Rumpel, Archie, Gaston, Anton, The Dragon? Really? They were right about Prince Eric being one of the biggest disappointments.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:31 AM, Curio said:

Ha! Regina's Evil Queen won EW's Twist You Saw Coming From a Mile Away. However, the show also won for Best Overall Ending to an Otherwise So-So Season. How can you have the best overall ending if your final twist was the most predictable? 

I enjoyed the finale, personally, so I'm glad it won.

(edited)

Where the hell is Gus Gus on that list? He'd easily make my top ten from Once. I call foul that Grand Pabbie made the list but Gus Gus/Billy did not. Boo Buzzfeed!

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 2

It's probably a random list of the only 38 men that those three Buzzfeeders remembered from the top of their heads.  David losing to The Dragon and Brennan?  That list goes directly to the trash.

• Love 5