Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

I agree that it was the right thing to do (honestly, the right thing to do was not to make him a regular in the first place), I'm just marveling at the waste of resources.

Okay, who else thinks it's possible they upgraded both Sean and Rebecca because they want to have another "OMG we're killing off a series regular, GUESS WHICH ONE" situation, like with Neal in S3? 

• Love 1
(edited)

From the Writer's thread:

This is cool, good tie in.

‏@AdamHorowitzLA
Hey #ONCERS! Wanna visit Mr. Gold's Shop? It's now on display at Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida! Stop by!

CGw9t0DUYAAYUNH.jpg

It looks like it's in the Streets of America, so it's just a fake store front, but still very cool! And of course they had to add it after I had just visited. I wonder if Hook's hand is in there? That might be too creepy for the kidos. :)

Edited by pezgirl7

I don't see a reason for Socha to be pissed. He was getting a steady paycheck, got SAG credit for a full season of episodes, made some industry contacts and got exposure to industry people who didn't know him before. That puts him in a much position now than he was 2 years ago when he goes looking for his next job. He could have done a lot worse. There are also not enough acting jobs in Britain for all the people looking for work. Socha might have spent most of the year just sitting around doing nothing between auditions if he had gone back to Britain but without getting paid for his time. There are worse things in life than to be paid a lot of money to be on standby for a year.

• Love 2

Socha not a regular anymore. 

Honestly, I would be VERY pissed at A&E if I were him. They made him waste a year of his life that could have been spent getting actual roles. And I have to think the people at ABC aren't too happy they had to pay him a regular salary for 22 episodes for a total 22 minutes of screentime.

No surprise there, someone had to go with 2 new regulars coming in and his character was poorly utilized as a regular.  As for him, he did get paid for only doing a couple of scenes that went nowhere, so it's not all that bad for him.

So where does that leave his storyline? Broke into the library, stole a book, now what? I'm assuming the Belle storyline is over. So will they wrap up his story? Will we just pretend he never existed or is forever somewhere else like Whale? Hmmm... Maybe a white heart doesn't change homicidal tendencies.

Does that mean Ana will be saved from character destroying nonsense? Like I said in another thread, hopefully someone stumbles upon a magic mirror and he gets shipped back off to Wonderland. If they don't explain what happens, at least fans will be able to dream up whatever they want to think went down with Will/Ana.

It's a shame, if they decided to use Will properly he would have been a great addition.

So where does that leave his storyline? Broke into the library, stole a book, now what? I'm assuming the Belle storyline is over. So will they wrap up his story? Will we just pretend he never existed or is forever somewhere else like Whale? Hmmm... Maybe a white heart doesn't change homicidal tendencies.

I'm not really sure what his storyline was, even as a rebound he only had 2-3 scenes of actually being with Belle.  He was bumbling around SB for a couple scenes and had some 1 liners but that's about it, shame since I actually liked him in Wonderland.

Okay, who else thinks it's possible they upgraded both Sean and Rebecca because they want to have another "OMG we're killing off a series regular, GUESS WHICH ONE" situation, like with Neal in S3?

A crime of passion perhaps?  The baby made me do it type of thing?  Will anyone shed a tear if Zelena or Robin were to die?  I'll make cupcakes and you're all invited!

Will anyone shed a tear if Zelena or Robin were to die?  I'll make cupcakes and you're all invited!

Do the gleeful kind count?  Because I might be able to squeeze out a couple of the gleeful kind.--especially if there were to be some sort of double disappearance.

(Waves greedy hands for a cupcake.  :)  )

(edited)

I honestly am a little surprised by this. You organize a convention that caused controversy with photo pairings so you double down? I don't understand why Meghan is on the Captain Swan panel, and if you're doing a women of Once panel, you can't exclude Lana. Yea, the Swan Queen fandom is going to whine and bitch , but I kind of don't blame them. You don't need a Swan Queen panel, but keeping Jen and Lans this apart seems forced at this point. And of course then the SQers will complain, some opportunity will be taken from other fans, and SQers will try and blame someone else. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 1

I honestly am a little surprised by this. You organize a convention that caused controversy with photo pairings so you double down? I don't understand why Meghan is on the Captain Swan panel, and if you're doing a women of Once panel, you can't exclude Lana. Yea, the Swan Queen fandom is going to whine and bitch , but I kind of don't blame them. You don't need a Swan Queen panel, but keeping Jen and Lans this apart seems forced at this point. And of course then the SQers will complain, some opportunity will be taken from other fans, and SQers will try and blame someone else. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, I have to agree it's a little odd--especially if there's no explanation about why Parilla wouldn't be part.

Could it be a deliberately provocative decision? A sort of "So, there, jerkface!" to people that they were struggling with before, that at the same time will drum up lots of attention for the con?

Maybe the panels were already decided before the shit storm from last time and they decided to release things later.  

Definitely weird that Lana and Jen are not in the same panels especially since they along with Colin are the three regulars on the show and arguably their most popular characters (Robert isn't there, so it doesn't count).

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm quite certain that it has absolutely nothing to do with the convention organizers and instead has to do with one or both of the actress's contracts. That's not something the con can just reveal unless they want to burn bridges -- which they don't, since they rely on the actors to come.

This is actually the first time that JMo and Lana have appeared at the same convention (other than Comic-Con, and that's something the whole cast does). They've never done a panel or interviews together at Comic-Con. You can speculate about why this is til the cows come home, but this Paris con is nothing out of the ordinary in that regard. Whether it's personal dislike, professional dislike, not wanting to share the spotlight with the other lead actress, or simply a desire not to be confronted with a room full of rabid SQ fans, who knows. It wouldn't be the first time co-workers aren't besties, and it won't be the last.

SQers were assuming they'd get something they were never promised, felt entitled to it, and then got upset when they didn't get it. But nobody was promised any sort of actor pairing.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 4

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a contract issue, but then why is Meghan on a Captain Sean panel? It would be easy to justify Colin and Jen on a panel together. They're canon. Or Lana and Colin together on a villains panel. But by making these panels have random pairings, it seems more of an FU to other pairings.

And you might be right about them holding off this announcement because of the original issue.

(edited)

In the sense that this is going to be a fan issue. It was a big issue when they announced the photo pairings and the BAs came out of the woodwork. And once the con happens, it's going to be an issue again. A quick check of tumblr or Twitter will already reflect fans' reaction, although it doesn't seem as crazy as last time -- yet.

ETA: Captain Sean! The ship that is either created by my typo or when Swan Queen becomes canon and they find solace in each others' arms.

Edited by sharky
Could it be a deliberately provocative decision? A sort of "So, there, jerkface!" to people that they were struggling with before, that at the same time will drum up lots of attention for the con?

Aren't Jen and Lana likely to be the biggest draws of the convention? If you put them on a panel together, it would quickly sell-out, but you may struggle to sell your other panels. If you don't put them on a panel together, fans of both will buy tickets to two panels. If you put them on two panels each, you can feature even more people and sell more tickets.

It's why the cable channel always bundles one channel you do want with 5 you do not care about. There may be channels that logically belong together, but they don't get put together so that you buy two packages.

• Love 3
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a contract issue, but then why is Meghan on a Captain Sean panel?

She was part of the grand Captain Swan time travel adventure. If Ginny's not at the convention, who else would they put Meghan with? They needed to put her somewhere, and at least both Emma and Hook have interacted with Red (then there was the infamous cut scene involving Jello, in which Hook takes a moment to flirt with Ruby after dragging himself out of his hospital bed). Plus, putting Meghan on the panel keeps it from being specifically a "Captain Swan" panel, which they might have thought might settle some of the uproar. So essentially, they have "groups" rather than a Captain Swan panel, but they still don't have a "Swan Queen" pairing, which makes it very much like the photo sessions. And it doesn't have to be that Jen and Lana don't get along. It may be that Jen just flat out doesn't want to do anything Swan Queen, and why would she? When you spend a lot of time spewing hate at someone, calling her a slut or trying to out her as gay when you know nothing about her personal life, or otherwise calling her names and being awful to her, you can't be surprised if she doesn't want to do anything that caters to your interest. If I were her, I wouldn't do anything to so much as give the slightest appearance that I was listening to those people.

• Love 7

Meghan is probably not as much of a draw as Jen, Colin and Lana. They have to put her on a panel with them, otherwise not many people would show up (especially if there's another event with them at the same time).

I' just happy for the CS panel and not interested by some B. a SQ going to do next.

The real problem here is that it is normal they are promotion toward CS because it isthe canon story. I guess at a comiccon OQ will be pairing together if Sean can go and CS , Rumbelle... Last year this convention OQ had a panel and the word has not ended.

Maybe, Jen got tired to felt hassle by some, maybe she is just not B.F.F with Lana for whatever reason.We just don't know this people enough to know what motivate them or their agent. But I do believe if some b.a apple of any fandom try to make the actress look bad or the Con.at tnis point it will backfire against them.

Just this week J.P letter about bullying had such a impact on all. That everyone should be calm and happy if what the actors, actresses give to their fans and not demands things they can't or won't do for some reason.

(edited)

Just heard of Socha's demotion. I honestly don't see how much of a difference it makes, he was pretty much a recurring guest already. The title of Regular was a sham for the poor guy.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1
(edited)

The title of Regular was a sham for the poor guy.

Why couldn't it have been a sham for Robin? Sigh. Will's story is about a hundred times more interesting and it's sad that the parent show audience didn't get to see it.

Edited by KingOfHearts

Will's story is about a hundred times more interesting and it's sad that the parent show audience didn't get to see it.

Seriously. Why demote the character who had the most interesting backstory, had a great actor who didn't chew the scenery but still was charismatic, and had a (okay, relatively small) built in fan base from another show? It's like trading in your nice car for a loud and obnoxious lime green motorcycle that has major rust issues on the inside and a cardboard standup of another car. Come on, Once. Come on.

• Love 2

Seriously. Why demote the character who had the most interesting backstory, had a great actor who didn't chew the scenery but still was charismatic, and had a (okay, relatively small) built in fan base from another show? It's like trading in your nice car for a loud and obnoxious lime green motorcycle that has major rust issues on the inside and a cardboard standup of another car. Come on, Once. Come on.

Because Regina, that's why.  Anything that doesn't have Regina front and center isn't worth spending five seconds on, especially when the idiots in charge have the attention span of a goldfish and constantly get distracted the second a property that they've been wanting to work with (and that lets them involve Regina) suddenly becomes legally available.

• Love 1
Seriously. Why demote the character who had the most interesting backstory, had a great actor who didn't chew the scenery but still was charismatic, and had a (okay, relatively small) built in fan base from another show?

Honestly, I think it might be a relief for him at the end of the day.  I'm still upset I don't get Ruby and Whale...but Zelena and Robin?  Yup!

Why demote the character who had the most interesting backstory, had a great actor who didn't chew the scenery but still was charismatic....

Because we already have that with Hook. Although it would've been nice to have more of that, of course, and maybe finish up his backstory.

Xivents has some little videos of some of the actors -- Meghan, Scott and Victoria -- who are going to be at the Fairy Tale convention coming up in Paris. I didn't click on them -- looked too awkward and I've had plenty of awkward after nine seasons of being an Office fan.

The Michael Socha thing is demonstrative of how little long term planning there actually is on this show. I know the Frozen stuff may have changed things unexpectedly for the first half, but the second half of Season 4 was definitely open to giving Will more of a role besides rebound for Belle. I didn't watch Wonderland, so I don't particularly care about Will, but I don't like the implications of how his character was used relative to the haphazard way this show seems to be written recently. Also, Zelena drives me crazy. I can't stand her, so her becoming a regular makes me cringe. I'd much rather have Will.

• Love 2

Just heard of Socha's demotion. I honestly don't see how much of a difference it makes, he was pretty much a recurring guest already. The title of Regular was a sham for the poor guy.

I continue to think this was all contractual.  I bet they thought they could do an American Horror Story thing with OUAT and they wanted Socha for multiple seasons and they had to give him a guarantee that had a clause that he'd get main show regular status if  'event' show tanked.  On paper A&E would think its a safe bet because OUAT in other worlds should have worked and if it didn't then they could use him.  They always get really good actors they think they can use and then realize they can't work them in (see exhibit A - David Anders).  If ABC signed this contract before Frozen was a possibility, they could have expected to use Socha.  As it was, they went with Frozen.  They probably had to pay Socha either way so why not keep him and not play him.

(edited)

if they hadn't opted to being three queens of darkness plus Zelena in 4B, Socha might have gotten a few more scenes. I think Ursula and Cruella's backstories could have been conflated. I hope they at least send Will back to Wonderland by the end of next Season, and don't kill him off instead!!

Edited by Rumsy4

It looks like she just did the Once recaps for the site. Unfortunately, Natalie Abrams, who actually interviews the cast and crew, is apparently still employed there.

• Love 1
(edited)

Here are some fan photos of Colin, Georgina and Scott in France. I'm posting Colin's, for science.

tumblr_nq7a7btZiS1qb5zzpo1_540.jpg

And here's a short Irish audio interview with Colin. Ahhh those Irish accents. Colin said the writers told him that Hook would be part of a love triangle when he first came on the show. He also suggested to the writers that they keep Hook dead until next season! Colin really likes to torture us, doesn't he? ETA: here's a photo from the interview.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 3

I need more scientific research done, particularly when it comes to the floofiness of Colin's hair. Looks like Jennifer is now there as well. Photos here and here.

As much as there was drama leading up to this Fairy Tales Con, I'm glad it's starting so we can see some new photos and hopefully get some news out of there.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone post the details for the Season 4 DVD yet?

http://www.ksitetv.com/once-upon-a-time/once-upon-a-time-season-4-blu-ray-dvd-extras-revealed/69147

The description is good for a laugh, if anything.

Love. As seductive and dangerous as magic, this potent, unpredictable force proves to be the ultimate weapon in the epic battle between good and evil in ABC’s Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season.

Soon after Emma and Hook unwittingly bring Elsa of Arendelle to Storybrooke, they encounter the mysterious Snow Queen, whose relentless obsession with both Emma and Elsa has chilling consequences. Meanwhile, it appears Regina has at last found true love with Robin Hood, but how will she react when her happy ending is thwarted yet again by a maddening twist of fate? Then, a banished Rumplestiltskin enlists the Queens of Darkness (Maleficent, Ursula, Cruella De Vil) in an insidious scheme to rewrite their own endings and corrupt the Savior by turning her newly blissful heart pitch-black.

Relive all 21 thrilling episodes of Season 4. Plus, delve deeper with never-before-seen bonus features as you revel in the intoxicating magic and mystery of Once Upon a Time –spellbinding now… and forever after!

Cast: “Once Upon A Time” stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret Blanchard, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David Nolan, Emilie de Ravin as Belle French/Lacey, Colin O’Donoghue as Captain Hook/Killian Jones, Lana Parrilla as Evil Queen/Regina Mills, Jared Gilmore as Peter Pan/Henry Mills, Michael Raymond-James as Baelfire/Neal Cassidy, Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold.

Here’s a list of extras:

Defrosting Frozen – An arctic blast hit Storybrooke this year as the characters from “Frozen” and “The Snow Queen” took over the first half of the season. Defrost this 12 episode event as we talk to the actors who played Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Snow Queen and for the first time in forever, explore how Disney Animation’s blockbuster film was adapted for the small screen.

Behind The Magic Tour – Join hosts Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin as they take you on an exclusive back stage tour on the stages of “Once Upon A Time.” See the sets, meet the crew and eat the food as we go behind the scenes and find out what makes “Once Upon A Time” the most magical show on television.

Three Who Stayed – Meet three residents of Storybrooke who decided to stay in Storybrooke after the ice wall came down.

The Fairest Bloopers of them All

Deleted Scenes

Audio Commentaries

Edited by Camera One

That's a great scene and kudos to Colin for it, but it makes me facepalm at the writers. How did they expect him to do it once handed??

Seeing some pics and reports from the con, and it looks fun! Apparently there's some scheduling issues with pics, but the rest seems to be running smoothly. Colin is singing and playing guitar.

• Love 1

That's a great scene and kudos to Colin for it, but it makes me facepalm at the writers. How did they expect him to do it once handed??

Seeing some pics and reports from the con, and it looks fun! Apparently there's some scheduling issues with pics, but the rest seems to be running smoothly. Colin is singing and playing guitar.

Singing and playing guitar? VIDEO OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

As for the one-handed thing, I highly recommend the Nerdit podcast JMo did last year. She was awesome in it in general but she talked about that. Apparently there are times when Colin reads the script and will actually jokingly complain that the writers hadn't seemed to remember that he only had one hand.

• Love 2

It did happen! It did! And Jen and Megan danced along! Although I have to ask where the guitar came from. Did someone bring it with them to the panel and ask him to sing? That's both so awesome and yet seems so much like a "Sing, monkey, sing!" situation.