Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Big Family Changes

• Start Topic

Now, that was a good episode!  I most enjoy the episodes where we get to see their normal day-to-day life.

Thank you, Jen, for educating viewers on the importance of vaccines. Today's parents are too young to remember the days when children routinely died of diseases like polio.  They simply cannot fathom how easily childhood diseases spread and how serious they can be because they grew up in an era when everyone was vaccinated.  

Bill and Zoey moments are just priceless.  She has become so articulate.

Will leading the "Trick or Treat" charge was adorable.

Edited by TVFAN
  • Love 11

I have a strong suggestion for dr Jen.

Step away from pinterest. I say this as a fellow pinterest addict, with my share of epic pinterest fails. Don't get me started on the pantry door disaster.

The acorn things? Pinterest fail. Otherwise I really enjoyed the enjoyed the episode.

• Love 2

Step away from pinterest. I say this as a fellow pinterest addict, with my share of epic pinterest fails. Don't get me started on the pantry door disaster.

The acorn things? Pinterest fail. Otherwise I really enjoyed the enjoyed the episode.

I agree with you; the acorn project was a hot mess. I missed the pantry door project. What was that about?

I never had children, but if I had, I would want them to be Zoey and Will. Bill and Jen hit the jackpot with those two and vice versa.

SUCH a good episode! The kids have never been more adorable. Both of them running up the sidewalk to trick or treat just made me smile. And Zoey's time with her dad was very sweet. And Zoey crushing on Dr. Ho.... hahaha

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 5

My only problem, and I realize it's probably only for the show, is the constant projects and field trips. Kids, even young ones, need to learn how to entertain themselves once in a while.

They don't need constant projects. Let them do something on their own, once in a while. I would love to see what Will and Zoey come up with to keep themselves occupied.

• Love 2

Good luck to Dave and Judy. I will not be terribly sad to see them move. I found them to be really annoying and pushy. I wonder if Dave is still selling all the online products like BaBa cooking aprons etc. I wonder if they got paid to be on the show. Its time for them to go and Judy said as much saying they were better in Florida or something like that. I will be curious to see how Jen and Bill fare without them.

• Love 1

I love Zoey's hair short but can't see her with pierced ears.  As much as she hates shots she may make it through getting one ear done but once she feels how it hurts I doubt she'll sit still for the second one!

They were both so cute in their costumes and loved seeing Will waiting (albeit impatiently) for Zoey to join him on the porch at each house.  I was surprised to see so many kids out in the street in the daylight.  In my neighborhood we wait until dark to go out.

Zoey's eyes when she was watching Dr. Ho were priceless!  Talk about love at first sight!

• Love 2

Am I the only one surprised to see that Jen's parents want to move back to Florida? They were only in Houston for 2 yrs, bought a home and everything and now want to go back already. This episode was very interesting to me, I get the impression Jen's mom was really unhappy there. Good for them for wanting to live their dream of retirement by the ocean. 

Bill and Zoey with the milkshakes, laughing and playing together. Cutest ever. He is very patient with her and she is so cute. She clearly loves him so much. Remember when she would start screaming if he so much as looked at her? They have come a looooong way, baby! 

• Love 4

Great episode!  I will miss Dave and Judy.  It must've been a hard decision to make to move away from Jen, Bill and their grandkids.  But, they should enjoy their retirement and if living by the beach is that, then go for it.

I think Zoey looks fine with her short hair.  I know a lot of viewers were up in arms about it.  I think she looks better with longer hair, because I feel like pixie cuts are more an adult look, but she looks fine.

Her crush on Dr. Ho was adorable.  They must've shown some things out of sequence, because the doctors and nurses were dressed up for Halloween for Zoey's check up.  But then a couple scenes later they were talking about it being a week+ out from Halloween?  

Loved the kids costumes and loved Will running to each house then waiting for Zoey to catch up (and yelling "faster Zoey".

Also, loved the kids defending their Nai Nai.

• Love 4

I totally get that Jen's parents aren't needed in Houston any longer and I respect their desire to have any kind of retirement they chose.  However, I would be hard pressed to move further from Will and Zoey if  I were them.    Will and Zoey are just so cute.  

It rained on Halloween... OMG did it rain!!!!!   I was kind of surprised it wasn't mentioned and wondered if Halloween was "filmed" on another day   Which, of course, it could have been.  But the ground was wet and puddled so it might have been filmed on Halloween actual.   

What was the product placement on those shakes?  My mom was all about those shakes.

Maybe they looked better in real life but those sun catchers looked like a hot mess on TV.

I agree with you; the acorn project was a hot mess. I missed the pantry door project. What was that about?I never had children, but if I had, I would want them to be Zoey and Will. Bill and Jen hit the jackpot with those two and vice versa.

The pantry door was my epic pinterest fail. I know one when I see one. Talk about hot mess.

God speed Judy and Dave. I'm not sure Florida would be my first choice but I can understand why they wanted to go home. It must have been a hard decision.

Trick or treating was too cute. The timeline was a little wonky to me, but who cares.

I love Zoey's hair short but can't see her with pierced ears.  As much as she hates shots she may make it through getting one ear done but once she feels how it hurts I doubt she'll sit still for the second one!

It's a right of passage for all the girls in my family to get their ears pierced ... these days it is so stinking fast and they have the ability to do both ears at the same time so bam, it's done in one shot.  

I think she would look adorable.

• Love 1

In regards to Jen's mom, I think that was a case of no one knowing exactly what they were getting into. IIRC, they finalized the move right before Will came home. I would bet doughnuts that Judy had this idealistic notion that she would run the pet shop during the day, come home to her grandbabies at night for a multi-generational family dinner, then play with them on the weekends.

Then real life set in, she only sees the grandbabies once every couple of weeks because of school/work/nanny/TLC filming. She "steps down" from the pet shop job*. She doesn't have any friends nearby. Dave is off working on whatever side project Bill has him chasing down. Jen is always working. I can see where Judy would be miserable.

*I side eye hard that Judy voluntarily left the pet store job. My mom still lives in Houston and is obsessed with dog boutiques. Same with her other empty-nester dog owner friends. All of them had separate billing & order issues with R&M that were caused by Judy. About the time that everything was finally fixed, Judy was retiring.

• Love 2

They were both so cute in their costumes and loved seeing Will waiting (albeit impatiently) for Zoey to join him on the porch at each house.  I was surprised to see so many kids out in the street in the daylight.  In my neighborhood we wait until dark to go out.

Zoey's eyes when she was watching Dr. Ho were priceless!  Talk about love at first sight!

They do both ears at the same time for little kids.

• Love 2

Bill and Zoey with the milkshakes, laughing and playing together. Cutest ever. He is very patient with her and she is so cute. She clearly loves him so much. Remember when she would start screaming if he so much as looked at her? They have come a looooong way, baby! 

I loved it when he said to her "No licking." And she came back with "A little licking?" It made me giggle so much. Like the licking Bill was something up for negotiation.  And then she just kept trying it. "Hold hand for 2 minutes"... 12 seconds later tongue out to lick. So cute!

It's a right of passage for all the girls in my family to get their ears pierced ... these days it is so stinking fast and they have the ability to do both ears at the same time so bam, it's done in one shot. 

For us it was a rite of passage too, but we had to wait until 13 when we could properly care for them ourselves. Our mother was not going to do that for us. 

• Love 6
joanne3482, on 03 Feb 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

I loved it when he said to her "No licking." And she came back with "A little licking?" It made me giggle so much. Like the licking Bill was something up for negotiation.  And then she just kept trying it. "Hold hand for 2 minutes"... 12 seconds later tongue out to lick. So cute!

The father/daughter bonding over milkshakes & burgers was magical.  Of course Zoey is going through her licking obsession phase; she probably thinks that since Maggie shows affection by licking her, it must be OK.  :-) 

• Love 4

I read on Jen's twitter page that her brother and his wife are expecting a baby.  They live in North Carolina.  Maybe that is why Dave and Judy are going back to Florida.  They will almost be evenly situated between North Carolina and Texas.  Also, maybe both feel that it is time to help Jen's brother and his wife with their new addition!

• Love 2

That's probably why Bill said he did NOT want to go along when she got her ears pierced.  He said Jen could take on that one lol.

The trick or treating, they probably went out before it started and stopped at a few pre-determined houses and by the time they were going home is when the rest of the neighborhood started up.  Around here I believe ours go from 5-7 and if you have little kids you probably want to get it done sooner rather than later.

Am I the only one surprised to see that Jen's parents want to move back to Florida? 

I was SHOCKED!  But maybe now not so much since someone said Jen's brother is having a baby. 

However when my mom and dad retire they are not moving closer to their grandkids (which was assumed by me AND my dad) but instead my mom says they are moving to where I live :D  But that's mainly because their friends are near here..... lol 

What was the product placement on those shakes?  My mom was all about those shakes.

The restaurant was Something Burgers Bus or something like that.  They showed the sign as they went in.  It looked delicious but not a place I'm aware of so must be more local to them.

I don't think that Zoey did too bad getting her shots. I've seen kids get much, much more upset.

Bill's humor is starting to wear thin with me. I think he's trying way too hard to constantly get the laugh.

We didn't even see her get the shots, we saw the before and after and I think it was quite awhile after because she was getting the shots on her legs and you can't do that through pants! lol  So I think they cut to when she had calmed down quite a bit. 

I think Dave and Judy living in Houston just ran it's course. As loving as this family is, I'm sure they experience the same annoyances, frustrations and arguments as the rest of us. Now that the kids are in a school routine, Bill and Jen don't need 24/7 help. Judy was probably getting bored and restless and decided it was time to go.

• Love 1

Trust me, giving a kid 4 injections takes some time. I've had to hold down countless kids in the ER so we didn't see any of that.  I'm sure the "after" scenes were after the clothes off and on, after the holding down, after the screaming, and after the calm down loving.  Been there, done that!

• Love 4

It ticks me off to no end that in Georgia (atlanta area) ALL the kids do not start until it gets dark Usually it is still daylight savings time and does not get dark until around 7 PM. I grew up in NY (long island) and would trick or treat from the time I got off the bus at 3PM until it got dark. The "big kids" came at night. Apparently on Long Island the kids still go during the day. I guess with working people now, not many people are home in the afternoon but still. Most of these kids are past their bed time. 

I did remember my sons at their 4 year check up with those shots, and I remember bribing my middle son with a toy after if he was good, lol. 4 is the prime age for bribery. They didn't show all her wailing, just right after it was over when she was sobbing. It's horrid but has to be done. My son kept such a phobia about it that when time for the 6th grade shots he was a complete mess in advance. 

• Love 1

I'm glad Dave and Judy are moving back to Florida, simply because that is where they want to be!  It was, I'm sure, extremely helpful for them to be near Bill and Jen for the last couple of years -- adopting two children internationally, Jen's cancer, Bill's back surgery.  But things have settled down now and their help isn't needed as much.  I'm sure they will still be involved in their grandkids' lives, but not in the every day care.  It's just time.

Zoey with the pediatrician was adorable.  The girl is in love. LOL

• Love 2

For us it was a rite of passage too, but we had to wait until 13 when we could properly care for them ourselves. Our mother was not going to do that for us. 

Completely agree. Zoey should really decide for herself about having pierced ears. Early teens is a good time frame. She probably will want them then and that's fine. But not now. Especially since she is not a child with an overabundance of pain tolerance. She may want the earrings now but is likely to be very upset when she actually goes through the process and finds out that it hurts [even if only for a very short time]. If Jen takes her now, I hope it's only after she makes it clear to Zoey that "this is going to hurt like a shot hurts" and Zoey still wants to move forward with it.

• Love 1

They do both ears at the same time for little kids.

Good - that's an improvement for sure from my time. I was 15 [early 70s] when my ears were pierced at the doctor's office, and I'd been told it wouldn't hurt at all. However it DID hurt - like CRAZY  - but only for the briefest second. And not both ears at once - that would have been nice. 

Jen wants a mini me in Zoey and her explanation of the haircut supports this(Bill sent her a text suggesting a pixie and Jen added like Mommy's). As for ear piercing, just like Mommy. I will not be suprised if Zoey pulls the earrings out because they hurt and possibly swallows one.

• Love 2

Jen wants a mini me in Zoey and her explanation of the haircut supports this(Bill sent her a text suggesting a pixie and Jen added like Mommy's). As for ear piercing, just like Mommy. I will not be suprised if Zoey pulls the earrings out because they hurt and possibly swallows one.

I agree, Jen wants a mini me with Zoey's hair.  Bill claiming it is his idea is taking some weight off Jen's shoulders for the negative feedback the pixie has garnered as he said on twitter and on the show.  He said he would take the blame, so be it.  It is not just the quick discomfort of getting her ears pierced but she won't like sleeping on her side any more because she will feel the earring on her pillow which may bother her and now another area needs to be cleaned to avoid infection.

I hope Bill doesn't also like nostril piercing....

• Love 3

Agree. Zoe isn't exactly a "mature" four year-old, nor does she have the best pain tolerance. She may like the idea of earrings, but doesn't understand that the procedure will hurt and her earlobes will be sore until they heal. Some kids can handle stuff like that at an early age, but IMO, Zoe isn't one of them. If I were Jen I'd wait at least a few more years.

• Love 1

I will not be suprised if Zoey pulls the earrings out because they hurt and possibly swallows one.

The kinds of earrings that they put on children can't just be pulled off.  They are screwed on.  

• Love 2

I'm sure she'd be fine.  Kids seem to jump back faster from pain.  As a kid as I had my ears pierced very young, I've broken my arm (which I'm sure hurt like hell) had to get stitches in my knee and finger and probably other painful childhood things, but I'm pretty sure I was never given pain meds for anything and I don't remember anything being that terrible.

Now as an adult just getting my teeth cleaned makes me a whiney biatch the entire day because gosh darn it, it makes my gums hurt ALL DAY LONG!! lol 

And maybe if Zoey is scarred from having her ears pierced at a young age then maybe it will cause her to rethink ridiculous piercings when she's a teenager. ;)

• Love 2

Did Jen even say anything about earrings in this episode?  I can only remember Bill asking Zoey while they were at the restaurant and Jen was not there. Bill asked if she wanted them. She said "yep" and said "like mommy"

• Love 2

But Zoey still said, by herself, without Jen present, that she wanted them. 

There's really only so much that you can try to convince your child to want and do but ultimately the child is going to say and do what THEY want to do. Especially at the ages of Zoey and Will. 

• Love 4

In our culture girls get their ears pierced young. I was a baby and had them done with needles. My sister also had hers done when she was a baby, although in this country.

So, I don't understand why some folks thinks it's a big deal and make kids wait til they're a teenager. Remember the full house episode when Stephanie had Kimmi pierce her ears ( because her dad thought she was too young) and they got infected.

Amen to the person who also hates dental cleanings! They are the worst.

• Love 1

I have no doubt both Jen and Bill add "like mommy" or "like Daddy" when trying to get the kids to swing to their way of thinking and get the kids to want it so they will cooperate.  Bill bringing up earrings over burgers was not the first time for that conversation, no way Jose!  A lot of parents teach their kids how to do things by saying "like mommy or daddy."    This reality show is still scripted to a certain degree like the others.  

Will proudly saying "big boy!"

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

It is not just the quick discomfort of getting her ears pierced but she won't like sleeping on her side any more because she will feel the earring on her pillow which may bother her and now another area needs to be cleaned to avoid infection.

Had mine done when I was five. I know this will shock many but... I have actually slept on my side since!!! :O

Even despite the horrible feeling of earrings on my pillow!

More seriously, ignore the earings and consider this - Zoey sleeps with *a sleep apnea mask* - I assure you from actually using one myself that Zoey a) never sleeps on her stomach and b) rarely sleeps on her side because jostling the mask on the pillow and disrupt the seal of the mask.

But really, unless this was done in someone's garage with a sharp paperclip ( I missed the episode but I assume this was filmed in a legal shop) then we're talking about something that millions of parents have done to their kids. Including mine, and it had nothing to do with my having a short haircut, because my hair was quite long at the time. My mom wanted it done, so it got done. My earlobes didn't rot off and Zoey has never been presented as a child with a compromised immune system so this wasn't some risky torture like limb lengthening or even a bizarre cosmetic practice. Children routinely get their ears pierced.

• Love 5

Had mine done when I was five. I know this will shock many but... I have actually slept on my side since!!! :O

Even despite the horrible feeling of earrings on my pillow!

More seriously, ignore the earings and consider this - Zoey sleeps with *a sleep apnea mask* - I assure you from actually using one myself that Zoey a) never sleeps on her stomach and b) rarely sleeps on her side because jostling the mask on the pillow and disrupt the seal of the mask.

But really, unless this was done in someone's garage with a sharp paperclip ( I missed the episode but I assume this was filmed in a legal shop) then we're talking about something that millions of parents have done to their kids. Including mine, and it had nothing to do with my having a short haircut, because my hair was quite long at the time. My mom wanted it done, so it got done. My earlobes didn't rot off and Zoey has never been presented as a child with a compromised immune system so this wasn't some risky torture like limb lengthening or even a bizarre cosmetic practice. Children routinely get their ears pierced.

No joke - I currently have 3 in each ear and I switched to a firmer pillow and now have to only keep the original set in when I sleep (cause I'm a side sleeper!!) and I haven't put the other 2 sets in for weeks cause I was tired of having to take them off and put them on each day.  It's sad :( 

No joke - I currently have 3 in each ear and I switched to a firmer pillow and now have to only keep the original set in when I sleep (cause I'm a side sleeper!!) and I haven't put the other 2 sets in for weeks cause I was tired of having to take them off and put them on each day.  It's sad :( 

I was tired of repositioning my pillow at night because my earring was digging into me and my ear would be aching so I decided to let the holes grow over, am so done with them!

• Love 1

I find it very strange that Bill would like the "pixie" cut especially on a 4 year-old girl.  I just don't think it's normal.  Every man I have ever known has liked long hair on girls and even women, with a few exceptions when the hair is very fine and the woman looks better with it a little shorter.  The whole thing seems very odd to me.  I think the haircut is just too severe for Zoey.  At least if she has a shorter cut, let the hair grow a little over her ears in a feathered wispy way, and let her bangs grow longer!  She would look more feminine.  As far as the earrings go, I have seen younger girls with the gold studs in their ears - many infants have this done by their parents in other cultures.  I think Jen is obsessed with her children's hair.  She is constantly taking them for haircuts and even during the episodes, she is running her fingers through their hair.  It is just a little strange to me.  Of course it is my opinion.

• Love 4

Zoey licking Bill reminded me of when Will went through a similar phase, which we also saw on the show. I think it was around when they went to India to pick up Zoey; I think I remember Will licking Bill's hand or arm when he left the hotel room when he & Jen were on the way to the orphanage to get Zoey.

The place where Bill took Zoey to eat after the exam by Dr. Ho & the shots was a local Houston place called Bernie's Burger Bus. I follow Bill & Jen on Twitter & there were a couple of Tweets/Retweets between the restaurant & Bill about the mention on the show on his Twitter earlier today.

I got my ears pierced, by my hair stylist at the time at her salon, by my choice when I was 15 (the summer before I started High School). She did my ears separately (but at the same appointment) &, as I remember, I thought it felt like getting a rubber band snapped, maybe a little hard, against my earlobe. I didn't think it was too horrible, but also maybe not what I expected.