Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

Billy Miller signed with GH again for one year, right? And it was a few months ago. I wouldn't rule him out. Y&R needs the GUY. A no older than 45, charismatic and popular (not divisive in his popularity as villain characters sometimes are) leading man. Losing JH was a big big loss. SB also theoretically could fill that requirement but he cost a fortune, was not legacy and was shoved down viewers' throats for way too long.

Billy is lame right now. He's smug, unrepentant and not written to be "Billy Abbott" as he has been historically (close to Jack, Vic's big love). He's some new guy obsessed with Phyllis Summers. It's a writing fail and it is compounded by a casting fail. 

And I would think JT is not cheap.

That survey was the weirdest thing I've seen. If nothing else it puts it out there that JT is not solid as Billy.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

First of all, I've seen the survey questions posted somewhere, along with what might be considered "suggested" answers for the JT-as-Billy fans. Assuming the questions posted were the actual ones used, I think Sony's approach is suspect if they're even remotely trying to give the appearance of it being an objective survey. From my perspective, they seem to be coming at it like, "compare JT to the eleventy thousand other Billy recasts we've run through since we lost BM". Plus they have the audacity to want you sorta to rate JT against BM. BM just signed a new contract at GH so I'm thinking, why even bring him into the issue at this point unless they're trying to boost JT's ego?

Second, seems to me like a survey of their "insider" fans is like preaching to the converted. Come on, Sony, have the guts to put that survey on an open platform and see what results you get. Oh wait, you're probably just looking for results that confirm the decision you've already made.

Those questions were real. I took the survey. One asked how familiar were surveyors with JT as an actor and wanted them to prove that by picking out the name of the soap he played on prior. Very detailed stuff. 

I found the Reed question most interesting. I know from the writing that Reed was brought on to enhance Billy's story but that pretty much confirmed it. What they didn't ask was which pairing did you prefer, Villy or Philly. Just if folks enjoyed the triangle. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, miamama said:

Billy is lame right now. He's smug, unrepentant and not written to be "Billy Abbott" as he has been historically (close to Jack, Vic's big love). He's some new guy obsessed with Phyllis Summers. It's a writing fail and it is compounded by a casting fail. 

Yep. This is the ultimate problem. He's not playing the character he should be playing. He never had the chance to. 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Because, *IMO*, they are not genuinely answering the questions about the CHARACTER of Billy Abbott, the writing for him, and how he's being received. They want JT with GT. That's it. Nothing else matters. The story certainly doesn't, which is why they don't care about Billy's relationship with Jack, Victoria, his kids, Jill, anyone else. And that is why, again IMO, Billy's writing will continue to be shoddy and one-note. And his relationships with other important characters will continue to be thrown into the wind. 

Well in their defense, they can only answer for themselves and how he's received by them. How is that not genuine? And there wasn't any questions about Billy/Phyllis or any questions about his other relationships besides Reed. They can't answer what's not there. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, miamama said:

Billy Miller signed with GH again for one year, right? And it was a few months ago. I wouldn't rule him out. Y&R needs the GUY. A no older than 45, charismatic and popular (not divisive in his popularity as villain characters sometimes are) leading man. Losing JH was a big big loss. SB also theoretically could fill that requirement but he cost a fortune, was not legacy and was shoved down viewers' throats for way too long.

And I would think JT is not cheap.

That survey was the weirdest thing I've seen. If nothing else it puts it out there that JT is not solid as Billy.

Interesting that you've ruled out JM. Especially since he filled that role for so long. Do you think he's no longer capable? 

(edited)
1 hour ago, DivaT said:

I think that word is more apt. We have no idea what any of these actresses/actors feel or what they want unless they tell us. And even then it's suspect cause they have a tendency to toe the company line. So let's not project our own feelings onto them. 

The context of my post was the time when the show ended Philly and was moving away from it. Of course, she supports the pairing more now. But she wasn't tweeting like that during the "off time". 

1. In my post "would" was used conditionally and so in fact "should" is not more apt. Please don't put words in my posts, school me, or accuse me of projecting - particularly when you are wrong.

2. Gina absolutely tweeted the fuck out of Philly during the "off time." She even did an interview pushing them.

19 minutes ago, DivaT said:

Interesting that you've ruled out JM. Especially since he filled that role for so long. Do you think he's no longer capable? 

Didn't even consider JM or DG. Neither ever has been able to fill that role IMO.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, DivaT said:

Well in their defense, they can only answer for themselves and how he's received by them. How is that not genuine?

Because to me, it's not? It's wanting an actor on the show solely because they want him paired with another specific actor. And obviously they can do whatever they want. I just don't think it's really answering the questions at heart. If JT is a better Billy Abbott than BM, for example, it should be more than "JT is hot with GT!"

• Love 7
(edited)

I'd think JT would have a 3 year deal. They'll have to fire him. 

Perhaps a 3 year deal. With that said, it's my understanding that soap actors' contracts have interval options in which the network/production studio has the option of writing them out, killing them off or making a casting change at any point in the contract period as long as they time it so that it falls in that window of opportunity. I think I've read that these occur every ninety days, at six, nine months and a year. The contract is binding to the actor. It guarantees them comp and any perks or agreed-upon arrangements during the duration of that contract and the actor can't jump ship, but the producers and network can make a decision that they need to make a change. I don't know whether they must compensate the actor for the prorated term of their contract or not. I rather suspect not as they wouldn't have set up the option process to allow them the flexibility to make changes.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, miamama said:

1. In my post "would" was used conditionally and so in fact "should" is not more apt. Please don't put words in my posts, school me, or accuse me of projecting - particularly when you are wrong.

2. Gina absolutely tweeted the fuck out of Philly during the "off time." She even did an interview pushing them.

Didn't even consider JM or DG. Neither ever has been able to fill that role IMO.

Saying LA would be happy to be paired with PB doesn't seem very conditional nor did it leave room for her actual feelings, which we know nothing about. But I concede, only you know your intent. I apologise for putting words in your mouth. 

I remember GT thanking fans for gifts about Philly. I particularly remember the day she, or was it JT, posted a pic of them on Twitter for the Philly fans because the #YR timeline went bananas that day. This was not a regular occurrence. If GT did an interview about them, I'm sure that was set up by the show as these things are. Probably with the intent of silencing the outcry from fans. Not sure why GT is taking the heat for that. She's not some rogue actress going around having interviews and staging protests to get some pairing back on her own. 

Besides that "America thanks you" crap she's got going, which I agree is very off road, her behavior has been the same as anyone whose  putting time into supporting a pairing and fans. 

I thought JM did very well 8 years ago. Especially during the height of that Shick/Phick triangle. He seems very popular to me. Not as popular as he was then but I don't think he gets the same focus as he used to. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Because to me, it's not? It's wanting an actor on the show solely because they want him paired with another specific actor. And obviously they can do whatever they want. I just don't think it's really answering the questions at heart. If JT is a better Billy Abbott than BM, for example, it should be more than "JT is hot with GT!"

I get what your saying. But when the question is do you like Billy's look?  I mean, either you find him attractive or you don't. Is that really about GT and Philly? 

Mind you, I gave them my honest opinion. Do I want more story and airtime for JT? Less...far, far less. Is he better that BuJ? An infinitismal fraction. Is he better than BM? No. Do I like the triangle? No. Do I like his relationship with Reed? Don't Care. It was scathing. But that's just my opinion on JT/Billy. It's no more authentic than those who answer yes to everything and thinks he's Humphrey Bogart. LOL

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

I think I've read that these occur every ninety days, at six, nine months and a year. The contract is binding to the actor.

yes tms, the actor is bound by the contract for however long the contract is but the employer can terminate at 13 or 26 wks or whatever wks they need to do it.  change in storyline / direction is often used as excuse.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Perhaps a 3 year deal. With that said, it's my understanding that soap actors' contracts have interval options in which the network/production studio has the option of writing them out, killing them off or making a casting change at any point in the contract period as long as they time it so that it falls in that window of opportunity. I think I've read that these occur every ninety days, at six, nine months and a year. The contract is binding to the actor. It guarantees them comp and any perks or agreed-upon arrangements during the duration of that contract and the actor can't jump ship, but the producers and network can make a decision that they need to make a change. I don't know whether they must compensate the actor for the prorated term of their contract or not. I rather suspect not as they wouldn't have set up the option process to allow them the flexibility to make changes.

I think they have the option to let go every 13 week cycle. 

• Love 1

I've taken several SONY surveys before but this is the first time I've ever seen it targeted to one particular actor. They asked respondents to compare Jason Thompson to Burgess Jenkins and Billy Miller with side by side photos and provided a box to write detailed explanations for why we felt that way. There were also questions about his screen time and his "looks" and if he affected our enjoyment of the show. It was very pointed.

I think SONY is dissatisfied with Jason Thompson's overall performance. If JFP did over-pay his salary, they may renegotiate his contract.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, DivaT said:

But that's just my opinion on JT/Billy. It's no more authentic than those who answer yes to everything and thinks he's Humphrey Bogart. LOL

LOL. I really hope someone made the Bogart/Bacall comment in this survey. Someone at SONY is gonna be in for a laugh.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

LOL. I really hope someone made the Bogart/Bacall comment in this survey. Someone at SONY is gonna be in for a laugh.

You just know that some stan will write that. Lol. I think there will be loads of passion in those comment sections. Rabid love and equally rabid hate. Being polarizing might just save him from the chopping block. 

2 minutes ago, DivaT said:

You just know that some stan will write that. Lol. I think there will be loads of passion in those comment sections. Rabid love and equally rabid hate. Being polarizing might just save him from the chopping block. 

Possibly. I think it has a chance to backfire, though. If those comments become solely about liking him because of what he does with GT, why would they keep him? You don't keep actors, especially at his price, because of ONE other actor that he supposedly "works well with." It's not enough.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Possibly. I think it has a chance to backfire, though. If those comments become solely about liking him because of what he does with GT, why would they keep him? You don't keep actors, especially at his price, because of ONE other actor that he supposedly "works well with." It's not enough.

That's true. I think we all know that Phyllis and Billy have no real future. Despite the obvious chemistry imo,  they just don't. The show has invested too much time in Vikki/Billy to veer off now. They will not  give that up. The most they'd do is a long term triangle. I think that's what Mal pushed for and won. And it, along with JT, are not bringing in the promised buzz or ratings. Viewers just don't seem to care about it like he thought they would. Notice he's gone dead silent on Philly for the last month. He's pulled away from the Philly fans. Something is up. 

21 hours ago, spinxella said:

If you want to weigh in on Jason Thompson's performance as Billy Abbott, sign up to SONY insider and fill out the survey!

https://www.studioinsiders.com/Portal/default.aspx

Very interesting and detailed questions.

I signed up. We give our opinions here and it is fun to discuss the show with other fans but at the Sony site we can bitch right to the source.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, spinxella said:

I've taken several SONY surveys before but this is the first time I've ever seen it targeted to one particular actor. They asked respondents to compare Jason Thompson to Burgess Jenkins and Billy Miller with side by side photos and provided a box to write detailed explanations for why we felt that way. There were also questions about his screen time and his "looks" and if he affected our enjoyment of the show. It was very pointed.

I think SONY is dissatisfied with Jason Thompson's overall performance. If JFP did over-pay his salary, they may renegotiate his contract.

That's not too much of a stretch to believe, imo.  Not a knock on JT because actors need to make money, but I totally believe Jilly Phelps over-paid to bring JT over because of her history with him on GH.  Betting that he could easily fill the role she played hard ball with Miller about because he wanted outs to do other things and she wasn't having that.  I agree with her on that point about Miller.  He needed to commit to the show 100% or hit the bricks.  And given how he's not exactly done massive outside roles while working at GH, he'd been better served agreeing to JFP's demand and stay with  Y&R.  JT is way mis-cast as Billy to me.  And I think JT makes a few acting choices that don't help him either.  Way too smug.  JT isn't worth the money JFP threw his way.  Much like SBu got everything he wanted and when she was gone and he had to deal with Mal, he hit the exit door.  Jilly did well by SBu and JT.  Now those EP decisions are coming up for review/change, imo.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, DivaT said:

That's true. I think we all know that Phyllis and Billy have no real future. Despite the obvious chemistry imo,  they just don't. The show has invested too much time in Vikki/Billy to veer off now. They will not  give that up. The most they'd do is a long term triangle. I think that's what Mal pushed for and won. And it, along with JT, are not bringing in the promised buzz or ratings. Viewers just don't seem to care about it like he thought they would. Notice he's gone dead silent on Philly for the last month. He's pulled away from the Philly fans. Something is up. 

I agree.

I also think Mal is silent because he clearly pushed for the return of Philly and the ratings are still garbage. I bet he made a big stink about it and it has backfired. I remember him in some magazine going on about how he put together clips of the pairing to show to department heads. He very much is all about that pairing and since it didn't deliver he could be trying to save his on ass too. 

I bet behind the scenes is a hot mess and they are trying to find a way to fix things. He going around renting expensive billboards when the focus should be creating interesting stories that engage the audience. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, TwistedSoul7 said:

I agree.

I also think Mal is silent because he clearly pushed for the return of Philly and the ratings are still garbage. I bet he made a big stink about it and it has backfired. I remember him in some magazine going on about how he put together clips of the pairing to show to department heads. He very much is all about that pairing and since it didn't deliver he could be trying to save his on ass too. 

I bet behind the scenes is a hot mess and they are trying to find a way to fix things. He going around renting expensive billboards when the focus should be creating interesting stories that engage the audience. 

Absolutely. I remember that "clips" interview.  I'm willing to bet money Mal put himself on the line for Philly just like JFP did for SBu and KSu.  Someone's gotta take the hit for this failure. Looks like it might be JT. 

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, DivaT said:

Well in their defense, they can only answer for themselves and how he's received by them. How is that not genuine? And there wasn't any questions about Billy/Phyllis or any questions about his other relationships besides Reed. They can't answer what's not there.

Their opinions are genuine.. as all of ours are. I have been an insider taking surveys for a few years.. they do all kinds of surveys.. all people have to do is sign up.. it's not some covert group or anything.. some like billy and some don't.. pretty much as simple as that.. kinda like how people feel about ALL the characters or actors.. no one is liked  by all.

17 hours ago, DivaT said:

JM has lost his mojo.. BIG TIME.. I am not seeing much love for Nick at all and JM is probably the weakest actor on the show.. bar none.

Edited by crosby777
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, TwistedSoul7 said:

also think Mal is silent because he clearly pushed for the return of Philly and the ratings are still garbage.

the ratings are garbage but you sure cannot blame one pairing for the tanking ratings.. and the couple is in triangle hell , something a lot of fans hate.. I quit liking couples the second a triangle is in play.. there has been shit writing for the whole damn show and that is why ratings are down..

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, crosby777 said:

Their opinions are genuine.. as all of ours are. I have been an insider taking surveys for a few years.. they do all kinds of surveys.. all people have to do is sign up.. it's not some covert group or anything.. some like billy and some don't.. pretty much as simple as that.. kinda like how people feel about ALL the characters or actors.. no one is liked n by all.

JM has lost his mojo.. BIG TIME.. I am not seeing much love for Nick at all and JM is probably the weakest actor on the show.. bar none.

JM has had so many back to back failed pairings that he's bordering on PB and KSJ level of character killing. The show needs to just pair Nick and Sharon and be done with it. It's really shocking how he's fallen off despite his looks still being there. 

1 hour ago, crosby777 said:

the ratings are garbage but you sure cannot blame one pairing for the tanking ratings.. and the couple is in triangle hell , something a lot of fans hate.. I quit liking couples the second a triangle is in play.. there has been shit writing for the whole damn show and that is why ratings are down..

That IS why ratings are down. But you don't think TPTB are looking for someone to blame? Someone to make the scape goat? It's like in sports when a team has a losing season. The head coach has to make changes (meaning fire someone) lest management think the head coach is the reason for losing. Someone always gets thrown under the bus. 

Edited by DivaT
  • Love 3

I think it is time they gave Nick a partner who doesn't need rescuing and can make him up his game.  I like the actor...he is what he is..Nick is a nice guy and it comes through on screen; his treatment of Sharon over the years notwithstanding.  I think they should partner him up with Hillary.  She is a bitch (but one I love) and she would challenge him; she doesn't need his name or his money.  Plus, it would be so unexpected...they are not in the same orbit at all.  His relationship with Chelsea is a snooze, as is his relationship with Sharon.  You could have predicted the relationship with Chelsea (like her but her acting is weak..the two of them (Nick) together is like watching paint dry) after Adam "died" for the four hundreth time.  

• Love 10

So I'm watching the DVD of Total Recall (the 2012 remake starring Colin Farrell) and to my surprise who should pop up but Mishael Morgan. You hear her character talking before you see her face. My head did one of those tilts like puppies do when they're trying to understand something and then sure enough it was her. I think the movie was a relative flop despite having several marquee actors but it was produced by Sony. Hence it turned out to be a win for MM since it probably helped her get a front burner role on Sony's top daytime soap.

• Love 5

Something else show may be considering is dropping the character of Billy for the time being and recasting Kyle with a strong actor and solid writing. He's a blank slate AND an Abbott. 

Also I think they are looking for a new Adam.

Show does not need Billy. Four recasts in three years is enough.

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, miamama said:

Show does not need Billy. Four recasts in three years is enough.

Maybe he can go and run the Turkmenistan division of Brash and Sassy.  Or join Dummer on her endless vacation?  

This is sheer hope on my part, but how about bringing back Chance?

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, boes said:

Maybe he can go and run the Turkmenistan division of Brash and Sassy.  Or join Dummer on her endless vacation?  

This is sheer hope on my part, but how about bringing back Chance?

Would LOVE that!!! And HE can rightfully live in the Chancellor mansion.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, crosby777 said:

I don't disagree but people were definitely blaming other actors and proclaiming the return of Philly would bump the ratings. Never happened and now some of those same ones want to sing a different tune. But yes, overall it's the writing that's the main issue.

• Love 6

I don't think the ratings are determined by one pairing or one character either. And no question the current U.S. political climate is pulling viewers away as @Snaporaz pointed out, but there were claims by Philly fans that the bad ratings were a result of the hateful evil horrible Sally putting the kibosh on Philly. That was nonsense (as we are seeing now). I also think JFP and Pratt might have sent so many viewers running to better options that show cannot recover.

All that said, JT has been front and centre (way ahead of PB and EB and JM in episode counts, for example - since Jan. especially) and the ratings are very, very bad. Who knows what's up BTS or with his contract. JFP no doubt gave JT a ridiculous deal (in terms of $$ and episode count and who knows what else). The question is not just Is JT passable as Billy? It's Is this guy worth the enormous COST of keeping him? (Kind of like with SB.) Sinking ratings and meh reactions and downright dislike (based on boards and FB AND Twitter, where he does NOT have the popularity of, say, JH when he came on as Adam. Nor has he impressed in the way GT has as a recast).

Philly fans love him. That's clear. I don't think you need a survey to learn that. Sony's questions were not about Philly. At all. 

Even with all soaps being down in ratings, these numbers are dangerously baaaaaaad. (Demos are terrible.) I think we'll see big changes. GR leaving was a sign of this imo. And so is this unprecedented survey.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, miamama said:

but there were claims by Philly fans that the bad ratings were a result of the hateful evil horrible Sally putting the kibosh on Philly

it is nonsense.. I think the shit writing is way the ratings are down and all the crazy trump stuff.. every day there is something.. Just think trump could be the nail in the soap coffin.. I know the OJ trial made soaps lose a lot of viewers.. 

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, crosby777 said:

it is nonsense.. I think the shit writing is way the ratings are down and all the crazy trump stuff.. every day there is something.. Just think trump could be the nail in the soap coffin.. I know the OJ trial made soaps lose a lot of viewers.. 

Right. After OJ soaps never fully recovered. They just had a new (lower ratings) "normal."

The writing overall, plus better options and binge watching culture (Netflix films a *high quality* season that they offer all at once so you can watch in a WEEKEND) are all the reasons soap ratings are nose-diving.

Trump, you may be right, lol, might be the final nail. 

• Love 14
(edited)

OMG y'all! Corbin Bernsen, our dear Father Todd, is playing the Roman god Vulcan in the series American Gods. He looks great, sort of Ernest Hemingway-ish with a beard and a weathered face.

Spoiler

(It's pretty much a cameo appearance though. Vulcan gets killed after a couple of scenes, hoist by his own petard as it were into a vat of molten steel.)

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 9
(edited)

GR leaving was a sign of this imo. And so is this unprecedented survey.

I agree, MiaMama. When I heard that GR/Kevin was being written out I said to myself, uh oh. Something's up with that. I think they're thinning the ranks of what they deem to be expendable characters. Also, whereas Kevin's half-brother Michael was a Bill Bell character, the Fishers were not. If I have to guess, it won't surprise me if Gloria isn't written out too when Kevin departs. (Were they created during LLM or earlier?)

I didn't join the Sony site until this weekend and the survey is no longer active or at least I couldn't access it. I didn't see the questions contained in the survey, but based on comments here, it is a particularly pointed questionnaire IMO, which is pretty unprecedented. Perhaps there have been others that have not been out for general public consumption/participation, but this one and its timing are definitely worrisome.  As for ratings and daytime soaps across the board, it doesn't bode well for the genre, especially since Sony is in such a shambles. It's true that soaps were hit very hard during the OJ trial, but one would have expected a recovery thereafter. That didn't happen, which indicates that overall demographics and viewing trends have simply changed the way viewers consume entertainment. That's a fact. There are increasing entertainment opportunities and venues for consumers-at-will/24-hours a day and that means increasingly more competition for eyeballs. Interestingly, though, there have been more interruptions of soaps on the networks during the noon hour - Y&R's time slot - since January since the Cheeto-in-Chief or his mouthpiece, Spicey, bark out-or 'splain some new policy shambles during that noon CST time slot. I don't know what effect that has had on the show's ratings. It's bound to have had at least some, since people whose only way of watching this might be on the network feed, especially  if they don't have access to the Pop channel, which will air the show uninterrupted on the same day, but one either has to DVR that to play it later if they're not actually at home at 6 PM CST when it airs (and it's the only time it airs that I'm aware of). If one doesn't have a computer they can't stream on the CBS app, which seems impossible to conceive of, but I know there are a great many people who don't. I don't know what to think at this point. It still bothers me that there's been no official word that I'm aware of about whether the network plans to renew the show beyond this year. If anyone else has heard anything else, please jump in and contradict. It almost feels as if they are actually paring the cast back to the original bare bones vets in anticipation of the last hurrah.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 6
On 2017-06-04 at 9:36 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

So I'm watching the DVD of Total Recall (the 2012 remake starring Colin Farrell) and to my surprise who should pop up but Mishael Morgan. You hear her character talking before you see her face. My head did one of those tilts like puppies do when they're trying to understand something and then sure enough it was her. I think the movie was a relative flop despite having several marquee actors but it was produced by Sony. Hence it turned out to be a win for MM since it probably helped her get a front burner role on Sony's top daytime soap.

Also, it was filmed in Toronto, and she grew up here if I'm not mistaken. She was also in a few episodes of a CBC show called Republic of Doyle, which was very popular here during its run. It was not too long after her stint on RoD that she started on Y&R.

• Love 4

This Matt Hanvey guy is gold. He's always been soooo funny but his Philly hate is the GREATEST THING EVER.

I had a look at the Y&R FB page. The Philly hate there continues unabated. Somehow they aren't buying the "we're both SINGLE" crap that the characters and Philly stans are screaming on Twitter. When you're single BECAUSE you had an affair, it's kind of bullshit to claim you aren't hurting anyone

• Love 22
On 5/31/2017 at 7:12 PM, Big Blue Plate said:

I don't understand why they would recast Adam... with anybody.  What would be the point of him?

I don't get it, either. MM!Adam was at best polarizing even before the BTS stuff that did or didn't happen, then JH!Adam was nearly as dumb and bland as Nick. We have more than enough men in Adam's age bracket. I'm over it.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

I don't get it, either. MM!Adam was at best polarizing even before the BTS stuff that did or didn't happen, then JH!Adam was nearly as dumb and bland as Nick. We have more than enough men in Adam's age bracket. I'm over it.

I think they should ditch the idea of Adam, send Chelsea packing (she is pointless without Adam), get rid of Billy, and cast a good Kyle and a good Chance. This way you get rid of two overwritten, over-played characters and bring on two fairly blank slates, neither of them Newmans.

• Love 18
(edited)
On 6/4/2017 at 2:36 PM, miamama said:

Right. After OJ soaps never fully recovered. They just had a new (lower ratings) "normal."

The writing overall, plus better options and binge watching culture (Netflix films a *high quality* season that they offer all at once so you can watch in a WEEKEND) are all the reasons soap ratings are nose-diving.

Trump, you may be right, lol, might be the final nail. 

Yeah. After the glut of cancellation with literally half the genre in the late 2000s/early 2010s I had fully expected the rest of the shows to be gone by now, tbh.

My prediction is B&B may have enough overseas clout to make the jump to an online platform. The rest of 'em? Naw.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 5
On 6/3/2017 at 11:33 PM, boes said:

I'm bringing the survey over for all of us who couldn't access it on the site.  

OMG, this is just killing me. Thanks so much for making the effort on behalf of all of us.

• Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, miamama said:

(she is pointless without Adam),

She's simply pointless. Adam or not. Like Chloe, I never liked Chelsea. As far as I'm concerned, both of them are twins separated at birth. I'd rather them recast Adam and put him with Sharon or Phyllis at this point than have him relegated to carrying griftycon's purse like he was during the neutered JH iteration of the character (which was done solely to appease Herr Gudegast IMO, as it did JH no favors). I absolutely hated it when they thrust Chelsea on Adam because the entire reason it was done was because EB moved heaven and earth to get MAB to put Sharon with Victor, and like the society dolt she is, she did it! And how the fuck well did that go over? Chelsea was simply MAB's consolation prize thrown like a stripped bone to MM's Adam.   Hell, keep Chelsea with Nick if they insist on keeping both of them. I don't care, but I will not abide it if they resort to have him default back to Sharon again or Adam with Chelsea. I'm as sick of the two of them together as I am with a certain despot on training wheels in D.C. now. Everything is just one fresh hell after another these days and this show is no longer providing any satisfying brief interlude.

...This way you get rid of two overwritten, over-played characters and bring on two fairly blank slates, neither of them Newmans.

Well, with all due respect, isn't that part of the current problem? The show has SORASed the younger characters and they've added (relatively) newer characters, each as vapid as the rest (Chelsea, anyone?). Long time viewers resent the newer characters. I briefly and occasionally pop over to Soap Central from time to time to read some of the spoiler threads, but I rarely post anything there or even read most of the posts that are there because they are always the same drivel about "they need to better utilize the vets" or "they need to (fill in the blank)", which is always the same ol' same ol', the most overused one in my book is the "My poor Sharon!!!" threads (and I'm actually quite pro-Sharon, but sheesh). They've created a semi-interesting new character in Tessa, and the actress is good, but over on the SOC boards there was a thread about how "pointless" the character is. Why is new blood "pointless"? The long time viewers gripe about any changes and how they want to see more of the vets, some of whom should be in the Sunset Hills senior center and the younger viewers want "hawt", but their idea of what "hawt" is most definitely is not my definition of what the term means. I don't know. I don't know if there's anything for it or not.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

the most overused one in my book is the "My poor Sharon!!!" threads

LOL  reading my posts over there are you?

the reason "my poor sharon" is used so much is because she has been so abused by past regimes that her only storylines were ones that were designed to denigrate her and more often than not, to have a different vile character to appear not so vile or reptilian...she has been put in situations where the only conclusion was that she was bsc, a manipulator, never pays for her crimes, continually gets a pass from everyone or continuously needs a man to rescue her cause like vikki, she can't open a box without some man or other to do it for her.

this is MY opinion only disclaimer *** NO ONE NEED AGREE WITH ME ***

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Why is new blood "pointless"?

I never understood this, especially when so many long time viewers got into these shows more often than not because of new characters who have now become vets. I never knew Jill was part of a core family before coming online, nor that Victor was originally only written for a 13 week stint.

It's not new characters or younger ones that have pissed me off, but the shitty ass writing and introductions or some of them. Dylan was the extreme example of a n00b getting preferential treatment, but for the most part of JFP's run in particular that's how it was: new shiny token getting shoved in everyone's faces.

As I mentioned above, Victor was a bit player whose popularity surprised the writers, so they went with it. Jack and John were written in and then the rest of the Abbotts were introduced and gradually got the focus. For all the complaints I can make about the current writers, knowing how to integrate new characters (which have been blessedly few and far between) is not one of them.

• Love 16
55 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

I never understood this, especially when so many long time viewers got into these shows more often than not because of new characters who have now become vets. I never knew Jill was part of a core family before coming online, nor that Victor was originally only written for a 13 week stint.

It's not new characters or younger ones that have pissed me off, but the shitty ass writing and introductions or some of them. Dylan was the extreme example of a n00b getting preferential treatment, but for the most part of JFP's run in particular that's how it was: new shiny token getting shoved in everyone's faces.

As I mentioned above, Victor was a bit player whose popularity surprised the writers, so they went with it. Jack and John were written in and then the rest of the Abbotts were introduced and gradually got the focus. For all the complaints I can make about the current writers, knowing how to integrate new characters (which have been blessedly few and far between) is not one of them.

Especially when the show began with two other core families, the Forsters and the Brooks. 

• Love 8