Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

On July 8, 2017 at 6:27 PM, spinxella said:

Mal Young lets actors pitch their own stories?

That explains a lot. ?

6 hours ago, Toomuchsoap said:

That's a dangerous situation. That said, he's the EP and they pretty much deal with the actors and the production crew and they can steer the show in any direction they want provided CBS and Sony are onboard with it. Bill Bell, along with Alden-Smith were the last of the HWs who maintained (fairly) strict control of the direction the storylines. That doesn't mean the actors didn't try to influence them as we all pretty much know happened in the case of Herr Gudegast. Sometimes he got his way other times not so much.

2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I don't think actors pitching a story to an EP is a big deal at all...he/she can always say "thanks but no thanks" to the ideas pitched.

One word- Shictor. EB clearly got his way with that storyline. I'm still shaking my head over that one. I still can't believe that MAB, CBS and Sony let it happen. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ByTor said:

I don't think actors pitching a story to an EP is a big deal at all...he/she can always say "thanks but no thanks" to the ideas pitched.

I am with you and really they do know the characters better than anyone and I am sure that sometimes they have good ideas.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, I went back and read the episode transcripts from when Juliet was first introduced and when she and Cane were in Japan. She said her father was stationed in Japan and that they'd lived all over the world, which likely means he was either in the military or the diplomatic corp. Either way, Vietnam seems improbable to me. If Juliet were to turn out to be related to Keemo, IMO that would be like the show saying Asian people are all alike, interchangeable, and prone to be related to each other despite having very distinct cultures. I just don't see even CBS trying to pull that off, especially in the current social climate.

I see where you're coming from. Since it's been established on screen then they need to keep it the way it is, but they could possibly know each other if Keemo is involved in the business world at all. Another reason I think Keemo would be ripe for a Abandoned Son type of storyline is because he was only like 21-22 when he left the show and he left after his mother had died which couldn't have been easy to deal with. Then with his dad gone that might be difficult to cope with. He didn't know either growing up so he basically lost his mom right after she re-entered his life and he never had a relationship with his father. I'm not saying to go the lazy route and make Keemo a villain like they did Adam, but there's tons of character driven story beats they can get out of his return. Jack needs something fresh. I'm sick of him whining over Phyllis and going in these circles story wise. He's in his mid-60s and they need to transition him. He needs a heir by now. Kyle they've tried but can't get the casting right. I also feel Kyle is too young to be more than a supporting child, kinda like Abby takes a back seat to Victoria and Nick. Jack needs an adult son in his life.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, ezzylin said:

One word- Shictor. EB clearly got his way with that storyline. I'm still shaking my head over that one. I still can't believe that MAB, CBS and Sony let it happen. 

The bolded part is my point.

• Love 5

melissa ordway announced via instagram that she and her husband are having a baby...mo is pregnant.

baby will be born in jan. 2018.

wonder if it will be written into the show..

LOL abby and scott could have an ons of angry sex then she gets knocked up because of it....

• Love 7

yes, she and her husband adopted a baby...i read that they tried and tried and she couldn't conceive.

so, i don't know if her first baby was by surrogate or an outright adoption...

however, as often happens after you adopt, you get pregnant... probably cause you're not stressing about it anymore.

• Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

wonder if it will be written into the show..

I hope not!  I irrationally LOVE pregnant actresses hiding behind giant handbags/plants/pillows.  I remember when MM was pregnant when Hillary married Devon...her bridal bouquet looked more like a bridal shrub.  It was quite awesome :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 19
9 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

however, as often happens after you adopt, you get pregnant... probably cause you're not stressing about it anymore.

My parents tried for 13 years...adopted my sister and surprise! Here I am. (Of course that was in the stone age, way before there was in vitro or surrogates.)

• Love 14
On 7/8/2017 at 6:49 PM, ezzylin said:

I don't remember all the details, but Mari Jo didn't want Victor to see the fax so she ended up shooting him. 

where's Mari Jo when you need her?

22 hours ago, ByTor said:

I hope not!  I irrationally LOVE pregnant actresses hiding behind giant handbags/plants/pillows.  I remember when MM was pregnant when Hillary married Devon...her bridal bouquet looked more like a bridal shrub.  It was quite awesome :)

They even had a meta call back with Devon chuckling about the HUGE bouquet.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/9/2017 at 9:35 PM, HeatLifer said:
On 7/9/2017 at 9:38 AM, valleycliffe said:

so i wonder which one came up with phylly, the greatest love of all time?

America, of course!

Damn it, America got it wrong again!

How nice for MO!  With the Juliet storyline going on, I wonder if they would write one in for Abby.  Maybe one would be a tick and the other a tock.

Edited by Tippi
  • Love 5

Kay Alden was hired as story consultant. A 24-year old script writer wouldn't "replace" her, even in terms of budget. I can't see how one would have anything to do with the other. Nor would she hinder Sally. Sally is HW/co-EP. The only hindrance she would have would come from Mal and Sony/CBS. Also Kay came out of her retirement to take this gig. I expected her to leave in a year or so.

• Love 8

24 year old son

That probably explains stuff like "H-Dub" in Cane's dialogue and Billy giving Jordan dap. Next I wouldn't be surprised if we see Nick quoting lines from ?Bad and Boujee?, Jack telling Nikki to "Slay, queen!", or Victor twerking in his office. KMN.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

dg must be getting "cane hate mail" from the fanbase...

DG is a sterling example of a not-too-bright celebrity thinking he's playing the house like Isaac Stern on the violin. Spare me your incredibly obvious manoeuvres, Mr Goddard--most of us don't confuse you with your character.

• Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, JasonCC said:

I assumed the work we were seeing now was Sally and her writers and that Kay's post retirement consultant position was always more honorary than anything else.

That HH article was a hit piece. Lightfoot-Garret's been carrying JFP's water for going on five years now. At what point did the Bell family sell/give up the rights to Y&R? it's been quite a while from what I've heard. The Bells really didn't have any say about the show since around the time Bill Bell died IIRC (except for MAB's stint as HW), though I could be wrong. It's as if Lightfoot-Garret didn't know that Sussman was also a protégé of Bell's and this must have been concurrent with Alden's stint too. I agree with MM, I don't believe cutting Alden - a co-EP/Story Consultant - loose is any indicator of Sussman pushing her out to make room for her son to enter as a script writer. Those two don't equate in my book. Sounds to me more like Sony wanted to cut costs and simply eliminated a duplicative position at the executive level.  

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

DG is a sterling example of a not-too-bright celebrity thinking he's playing the house like Isaac Stern on the violin. Spare me your incredibly obvious manoeuvres, Mr Goddard--most of us don't confuse you with your character.

True.  I DO confuse him with a banana slug, however.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, pearlite said:

Oh, @pearlite, have you met any of the Real Forgotten Americans in The Heartland who would vote for P.T. Barnum?  I think there are a good chunk of people who confuse actor and character.

So, at the grocery store this morning, one of the soap mags has a teaser on the cover about Kevin returning already.  I didn't open it to read the details because shame.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Oh, @pearlite, have you met any of the Real Forgotten Americans in The Heartland who would vote for P.T. Barnum?  I think there are a good chunk of people who confuse actor and character.

So, at the grocery store this morning, one of the soap mags has a teaser on the cover about Kevin returning already.  I didn't open it to read the details because shame.

Lol, I do that too.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

from what i gather, there was quite a lot of viewer backlash to him being let go so they will bring him back..

i didn't read the article either, just repeating what i have seen posted.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

No I have not met those fine folks, Snaporaz...

I'm rashly assuming they're the same fine folks who buy those nifty little figurines of Big Chief Thunderpaws [doggie in tribal head-dress with fringed leggings--insulting First Nations/Aboriginals and dog owners alike], artfully marketed by Bradford Exchange or the like in "limited editions."

And for sure, soaps have always encouraged the actor/character blur, going back to when they ID'd characters in their openings by character-name alone. But.

Yeah, I saw SOD too--hands across the border, my man! But I lack shame--I just couldn't get through the issue to the article before I had to unload groceries.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, RedRockRosie said:

I would pay good money to NEVER see this!! EVER!

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Same here. Full body dry heave? Just, no.

Oh come on, where's your sense of adventure??? :)

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I'd consider watching Victor/EB twerking (I shudder as I type that) more like some horrible horrible punishment ...not an adventure. ;)

• Love 8
(edited)

If, GR is really returning and this isn't just one soap magazine's teaser, I'm happy about it. I've gotten fond of the character. Until I read a confirmation from either GR or the show, though,  I'll take this with a grain of salt. This was on SOC this morning too (or maybe last evening, and it might have originated with a board poster and not SOC's editors), and they're usually pretty quick about knocking down fan spoilers that have not been substantiated by their sources. I hope it's true. Likewise, I hope if his character does return, it's without Chloe. Her I can do without for the rest of my life.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 12

VR1ljW.jpg

Sally Sussman's son Adam Samuel Morina is listed as a script writer for the July 21 episode. 

They're not using his last name in the credits which is unusual.

Since scripts are written several months in advance, his hiring must have happened a while ago.

• Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, RedRockRosie said:

I would pay good money to NEVER see this!! EVER!

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, peacheslatour said:

Same here. Full body dry heave? Just, no.

20 hours ago, ByTor said:

200.gif

• Love 8

Sally's son is a script writer, but that article doesn't make sense. A script writer (especially entry level) wouldn't have any affect on a story consultant. The person who writes those articles is very much like a tabloid reporter and he is rarely correct. He's good friends with Maria Arena Bell and since she was fired he's been attacking the show. Now I do believe there is something going on back stage because we know there has been a shift since Sussman first joined. I don't believe the issue is between her and Kay though since they've worked together as far back as the 80s. Hell, she was there when Alden was fired in '05 so they've already worked together long enough to know whether it would work or not. The issue I'm guessing is likely between the network/Sony and the writers.

• Love 6

I knew that previous story made no sense, but the actual story is more bizarre: Kay Alden AND Sally Sussman OUT ("retiring" from soaps) and Mal Young is now EP and HW

LINK: https://daytimeconfidential.com/2017/07/31/sally-sussman-and-kay-alden-quit-young-and-restless

This explains the weirdness the past few months as there was clearly a backstage battle between Sussman/Alden's vision and what Mal Young wants to do. I've actually been really enjoying the show though so this is disappointing. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out....

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, KnotsLanding said:

I knew that previous story made no sense, but the actual story is more bizarre: Kay Alden AND Sally Sussman OUT ("retiring" from soaps) and Mal Young is now EP and HW

LINK: https://daytimeconfidential.com/2017/07/31/sally-sussman-and-kay-alden-quit-young-and-restless

This explains the weirdness the past few months as there was clearly a backstage battle between Sussman/Alden's vision and what Mal Young wants to do. I've actually been really enjoying the show though so this is disappointing. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out....

So I guess we're in for many more "master classes" in the art of the rom-com ala Philly. yay

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, miamama said:

OK. This is bad.

Mal? Here comes The Philly Hour.

I don't believe for one minute Sally left by choice. It's clear there were disagreements BTS. And Mal won????

ugh.

Never underestimate the idiocy of the executive class.  

With JT being a darling of MY, he's going to be the Cam Mathison of Y&R and ride this show all the way into the ditch.

God only knows what's coming next.

• Love 16