Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Big Blue Plate said:

Peaches, NHL HQ is on the west side in Manhattan, near Madison Square Gardens.  I don't know why the Toronto reference.

This is such a good point @Big Blue Plate.  I didn't know that, but I was surprised to hear it was in Toronto.  The Hockey Hall of Fame is in TO, I believe.

And, let me just say, those hockey players did not look like hockey players!

• Love 4

Philly is doing wonders in the ratings. Good job, Mal!

no way you can blame one couple on the shit ratings.. how bout the shit writing.. devon and mariah are a total flop.. the bs story is a flop.. scott is a flop.. abby is a flop. the whole fucking show is a flop.. to blame one couple is unrealistic.

• Love 2

Given the amount of tweets and retweets by Mal Young and Gina Tognoni pimping the Philly pairing, one would think that the majority of viewers shipped them. In reality, that is not the case, otherwise the ratings would gone up since Philly is now officially a couple. As most of us suspected, the Philly fan base consists of a small, but persistent group on social media that MY deluded himself (and us) into believing is much larger than they actually are.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, ezzylin said:

Given the amount of tweets and retweets by Mal Young and Gina Tognoni pimping the Philly pairing, one would think that the majority of viewers shipped them. In reality, that is not the case, otherwise the ratings would gone up since Philly is now officially a couple. As most of us suspected, the Philly fan base consists of a small, but persistent group on social media that MY deluded himself (and us) into believing is much larger than they actually are.

This.

• Love 4

I don't think the majority of the viewers ship anything. I just don't think they watch the show that way. Give them compelling, exciting, in character story and they'll watch. Who is sleeping with whom is immaterial. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Again I am with you Diva.. I watch for entertaining story telling.. something we haven't gotten in years.. couples come and go and none of them are liked by all ..

Edited by crosby777
  • Love 5
On 5/12/2017 at 4:26 PM, ezzylin said:

Lol. You guys should check out that guy's Twitter account- he is hilarious!

I've posted him before here. He's super nice and funny. He's actually met a lot of these actors and is friends with several on B&B. Which says something about their ability to laugh at themselves. Josh Morrow/Nick has replied to his memes as well. 

• Love 7
On 5/18/2017 at 10:30 PM, Big Blue Plate said:

And I never bought the NHL would strike a deal with something called Brash and fucking Sassy.

Do many younger people know what brash or sassy mean? 

• Love 3

GT "thanks America" and @'s Mal Young because one soap magazine poll has Philly support at 53% compared to 47%. Yes, what a landslide. What an accomplishment. How are those ratings, tho?

• Love 6

^^^FFS, I know Soap Opera Digest isn't owned by CBS but isn't it the next closest thing to a company rag? Hate to be age-ist but most of their subscribers are probably over 70. Plus, who knows how many people that 53% actually represents? Could be less than a 100. Gotta admire GT's self-promotion game, anyway. Maybe if they keep telling us how popular Philly are we naysayers will fall in line. ?

• Love 12

GT might want to stop with the "America" tweets. The joke ceased being funny/cute  after the 1st time. 

But I do admire her hustle. She's supporting  her story and her fans to the fullest. When it's over, she will take a loyal and vocal fanbase with her to her next story/pairing. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

IMO, acknowledging and paying attention to only a part of her fanbase who want her paired with JT isn't exactly a good move.

Where are her other fans? The only ones I ever see fawning over her, tagging her in tweets, and sending her these elaborate gifts all the time are on the Philly side of the aisle. If her other fans gave her something to engage with, I'm sure she would. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, DivaT said:

Where are her other fans? The only ones I ever see fawning over her, tagging her in tweets, and sending her these elaborate gifts all the time are on the Philly side of the aisle. If her other fans gave her something to engage with, I'm sure she would. 

She only gets attention from Philly because that's all she acknowledges! She's made her feelings VERY clear. You don't think she received tweets about Phack in the past? Do you honestly believe they'd tweet her about Phack NOW?

Also, I've been a GT fan since I was a teenager. I've watched every soap role she's ever done. A lot of her fans are not all about Philly. You don't only respond to those who buy you nuts.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

She only gets attention from Philly because that's all she acknowledges! She's made her feelings VERY clear. You don't think she received tweets about Phack in the past? Do you honestly believe they'd tweet her about Phack NOW?

Also, I've been a GT fan since I was a teenager. I've watched every soap role she's ever done. A lot of her fans are not all about Philly. You don't only respond to those who buy you nuts.

I disagree. It's more like she acknowleges Philly fans cause that's all she's bombarded with daily. It's overwhelming. 

I can only go by what I see in GTs mentions on Twitter. It's all Gina, Phyllis, and Philly fawning whenever I look. I'm not saying all her fans love Philly. That's clearly not the case. However, those that aren't are not engaging her nearly as much. Maybe the non-Philly fans should buy her some nuts to remind her that they do indeed exist. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, DivaT said:

I disagree. It's more like she acknowleges Philly fans cause that's all she's bombarded with daily. It's overwhelming. 

I can only go by what I see in GTs mentions on Twitter. It's all Gina, Phyllis, and Philly fawning whenever I look. I'm not saying all her fans love Philly. That's clearly not the case. However, those that aren't are not engaging her nearly as much. Maybe the non-Philly fans should buy her some nuts to remind her that they do indeed exist. 

We can agree to disagree on it all. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, miamama said:

Why does she keep thanking America? Is this an inside joke or something because it's very odd.

Exactly. I don't get that one bit. What in the world is that? It's very cringe worthy imo. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Thanking America is very.... something you would do on a high rating primetime show, like when American Idol was in it's peak years? Not something that is on daytime at 3.5 million viewers average a day.

I do like GT, though. Despite the finger pointing, hissing, jaw locking, head tilting & whatever else bad habits she's picked up, she's infinitely better than MS.

Edited by evenstephens
  • Love 10
(edited)
22 hours ago, DivaT said:

Well, maybe it's just my perception of talented and accomplished female actors - especially ones who are as obviously pretty and have beautiful bodies as Gina Tognoni's - that they want to play the sexy lead and they want to be paired with the sexy leading man (or woman depending on the show/movie). When Y&R was trying to woo MS back to the role of Phyllis in 2000-ish, she flat out told LLM that she wanted to be a leading lady (THE leading lady, frankly) and not the show's central villainess (and I'm not comparing MS to GT at all). And to elevate Phyllis's status and create a new couple for new fans to ship so they killed off Cassie and split up Nick and Sharon, pushing Sharon into victim status (for years). I don't believe SC loved being marginalized very much, and she still  is to a large extent, but she's actually faring much better under SSM than she did in the LLM/MAB/JFP-CP regimes (though I've got to say that she clearly loved getting to play Sharon during MAB's era when she was involved with Adam because it made them a central focus, though her ride or die fans hated that era and she was definitely punished for speaking out about EB's crap at the time).

I'm sure GT's loving the attention she's getting. She'd been away from soaps for about five years or so when she was cast and when they brought her in it was pretty damn clear that JFP wanted her to be Jack's wife. Period.  They had her plain and almost matronly-looking for a long stretch, so I'm sure she's thrilled to be able to flaunt her stuff. So I can't find much fault with her for basking in the glow of the fan base that loves their Phyllis sexy and the object of men's lust. 

(And does anybody else on this board remember back to about 2009 or so when NB and JG were wishing that they'd get rid of AH and recast the role of Victoria with GT, because I do?)

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2017/05/ratings-gh-week-4

New crappy ratings report. Can someone tweet GT and thank America? 

You mean shooting "on location" on the CBS roof and having Philly sneak around and fuck at every opportunity and in secret like they're *having an affair* isn't a ratings hit?????

LMAO.

Whoever decided this was good soap - cough Mal cough - needs to be fired.

I believe this is the worst sweeps in Y&R history, no?

America has let Gina down. 

Sad.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Well, maybe it's just my perception of talented and accomplished female actors - especially ones who are as obviously pretty and have beautiful bodies as Gina Tognoni's - that they want to play the sexy lead and they want to be paired with the sexy leading man (or woman depending on the show/movie). When Y&R was trying to woo MS back to the role of Phyllis in 2000-ish, she flat out told LLM that she wanted to be a leading lady (THE leading lady, frankly) and not the show's central villainess (and I'm not comparing MS to GT at all). And to elevate Phyllis's status and create a new couple for new fans to ship so they killed off Cassie and split up Nick and Sharon, pushing Sharon into victim status (for years). I don't believe SC loved being marginalized very much, and she still  is to a large extent, but she's actually faring much better under SSM than she did in the LLM/MAB/JFP-CP regimes (though I've got to say that she clearly loved getting to play Sharon during MAB's era when she was involved with Adam because it made them a central focus, though her ride or die fans hated that era and she was definitely punished for speaking out about EB's crap at the time).

I'm sure GT's loving the attention she's getting. She'd been away from soaps for about five years or so when she was cast and when they brought her in it was pretty damn clear that JFP wanted her to be Jack's wife. Period.  They had her plain and almost matronly-looking for a long stretch, so I'm sure she's thrilled to be able to flaunt her stuff. So I can't find much fault with her for basking in the glow of the fan base that loves their Phyllis sexy and the object of men's lust. 

(And does anybody else on this board remember back to about 2009 or so when NB and JG were wishing that they'd get rid of AH and recast the role of Victoria with GT, because I do?)

I think they all, female and male alike, enjoy being the object of desire. I agree with your assessment. 

1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2017/05/ratings-gh-week-4

New crappy ratings report. Can someone tweet GT and thank America? 

1 hour ago, miamama said:

You mean shooting "on location" on the CBS roof and having Philly sneak around and fuck at every opportunity and in secret like they're *having an affair* isn't a ratings hit?????

LMAO.

Whoever decided this was good soap - cough Mal cough - needs to be fired.

I believe this is the worst sweeps in Y&R history, no?

America has let Gina down. 

Sad.

While this is so hilarious to me and I do get satisfaction from this Philly/Villy flop, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that it's not just them on. I won't list who else ain't bringing in any demos despite them being under 30 and supposedly so beloved. 

• Love 5

I wonder if all shows on all networks are going to need to adjust their expectations regarding ratings.  There's a John le Carré novel playing out on CNN all day/night everyday/night, and I'm not sure anything would be able to compete with it.

• Love 18

OK....I have watched soaps my entire life. We're talking for like 40 years. I watched all 4 ABC soaps (Ryan's Hope, AMC, OLTL, GH) up until college when I started with Y&R. I cannot imagine investing that much emotionally in some coupling to actually send gifts, etc.  I seriously can't wrap my head around that.

I hardly watch Y&R now. It's just too boring. But Philly does NOTHING for me. Well....I find them a bit disgusting since, you know, he was banging his brother's wife and she was banging her brother-in-law. Ain't no coming back for me when you do those sorts of things.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

OK....I have watched soaps my entire life. We're talking for like 40 years. I watched all 4 ABC soaps (Ryan's Hope, AMC, OLTL, GH) up until college when I started with Y&R. I cannot imagine investing that much emotionally in some coupling to actually send gifts, etc.  I seriously can't wrap my head around that.

I hardly watch Y&R now. It's just too boring. But Philly does NOTHING for me. Well....I find them a bit disgusting since, you know, he was banging his brother's wife and she was banging her brother-in-law. Ain't no coming back for me when you do those sorts of things.

I didn't know that fans were even doing things like sending gifts, writing fan mail, voting in polls, etc up until about less than 2 years ago. I thought those top couples were chosen by the magazines instead of votes mailed in. I saw a video on CBS' YT channel of a ridiculouslu huge cup cake tower that was commissioned by fans for Villy's anniversary and was shocked. It was a time lapsed thing of it being built in the foyer of CBS TV city. I had heard that Lane fans had rented a plane once to save DG's job. I thought that kind of thing was unique at the time. Turns out it was not. That kind of rabid fan reaction is what the show uses to determine popularity, along with focus groups and ratings. I am beginning to realize that these fan bases do it as a campaign technique. Color me shocked. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, lilmarysunshine said:

Who the hell has time to lobby for a coupling on a TV show? lol  

Apparently, lots of people. But who knew? 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, lilmarysunshine said:

Who the hell has time to lobby for a coupling on a TV show? lol  

I guess it gets pretty boring at Fairview.

• Love 12
(edited)

There's a John le Carré novel playing out on CNN all day/night everyday/night, and I'm not sure anything would be able to compete with it.

No kidding. I can't remember a time when I've about completely ditched network and subscription television almost in their entirety before as I have now. Now, I'm primarily referring to primetime and weekend programming and I'll confess to playing back a recorded show and bailing out to go check out TRM or The Last Word or CNN, etc, just to see what fresh hell has broken while I was catching up with Hometown, The Amazing Race, Fixer Upper, Anthony Bourdain, or La La Land. I'm like an addict now. I start twitching and my FF finger and the remote keep getting itchy to switch. It's ridiculous. But I can't help it.

As for the ratings, I think I read this morning that the ratings for this show are tied with the lowest same-sweeps period in years and years. That surely doesn't bode well for its longevity on the network. I think they really need to get some type of plot-driven (I know, I know) storyline going now and quit trying to focus on showcasing an insipid triangle that frankly doesn't have any reason for all the intended "intrigue". Phyllis has been divorced from and rejected by Jack for months now and Billy's been cat-pawed and yanked around by Victoria for longer than that now. There is no reason for Phyllis to be hiding out in hotel rooms or skulking around like Mata Hari. Everyone knows they're a couple of cheating cheaters who cheated and got caught. Why would anyone seriously think they wouldn't keep going back to the roundhouse after both failed in their attempts to try to reconcile with their respective exes? Some of the things that are going on are interesting as ongoing small time tension-building backdrops, but they keep making wrong choices with the characters. Chelseacon is as dumb as a box of hair. Both Adam and SHE knew in their gut that Victor was behind the Constance Bingham murder allegations and they had a video that proved he had a female accomplice. Why would she NOT think that Victor used Chloe as the coconspirator and that Brittany or whateverhername was a dupe? It makes absolutely no sense except to keep this storyline playing out longer. But they could have done that in a much smarter way that doesn't turn what should be a much savvier and skeptical character as Chelsea the reformed grifter-con into a complete idiot (not that I've ever had all that much use for the character to begin with).

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 13

@DivaT It says in magazine on the same as the poll results that they are viewer voted. 

I think it's done by hotline call but now you can also do it on the twitter for the respective mags, I think, as well as their periodicals' website proper. I think I've voted on them in the past if I happen to be on their webpage or the poll shows up in my twitter feed. I don't seek it out or care because I don't think anyone really reads the rags and the network doesn't give a shit about fans opinions anyway. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

@DivaT It says in magazine on the same as the poll results that they are viewer voted. 

I think it's done by hotline call but now you can also do it on the twitter for the respective mags, I think, as well as their periodicals' website proper. I think I've voted on them in the past if I happen to be on their webpage or the poll shows up in my twitter feed. I don't seek it out or care because I don't think anyone really reads the rags and the network doesn't give a shit about fans opinions anyway. 

I definitely don't think networks care anymore than they can use it to push their agenda of the moment. 

16 hours ago, coffee drinker said:

that would be awesome..

jamey giddens also said that adam was being recast but i don't think he mentioned that it would be with mm.  someone tweeted to him that it is probably dylan who was being recast but jamey just said he knows what he knows and stands by it....

at a different board, it was posted that sally sussman said she wasn't going to recast adam so it can't be true....well, sally sussman also said that philly was kaput and it obviously isn't...

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, miamama said:

I think it's obvious when Sally's interview is compared with how stories are playing out that she is not in charge. 

Absolutely NOT in charge!!!! Yet, she's getting the heat for the show being an abysmal mess. 

• Love 3
(edited)

at a different board, it was posted that sally sussman said she wasn't going to recast adam so it can't be true....well, sally sussman also said that philly was kaput and it obviously isn't...

SSM said that in an interview shortly after it was announced she was the new HW and well before her storylines started airing. I believe her words were she "had no plans to recast the character." Plans change. Especially when the ratings are in a continual death spiral with no bottom in sight. It was pretty clear that the aim at the outset with the Jack-Phyllis debacle that they were going to all out to try correct the damage done by the Philly thing. That too appears to be deader than Stonewall Jackson's horse. Or maybe not. Who knows at this point. I believe Jamey Giddens about the recast. Whether they'd entertain even the idea of bringing MM back I don't know. All I know is that the guy doing all the malicious crap on Twitter within the last four years has been EB who apparently is trying his best to emulate his apparent man crush, DJT. I know who has NOT engaged in that sort of behavior in the past three and half years and anything he ever said about EB via social media or otherwise pales by comparison to some of the shit EB has been spewing at every opportunity. Herr Gudegast felt affronted, but that happens easily to thin-skinned bullies and egoists.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

1 hour ago, Toomuchsoap said:

SSM said that in an interview shortly after it was announced she was the new HW and well before her storylines started airing. I believe her words were she "had no plans to recast the character." Plans change. Especially when the ratings are in a continual death spiral with no bottom in sight. 

I also read that SSM said she did not keep up with the show after she was fired, which was 10 years ago. I think when she came back, her plan was to get Y&R back to what it was during the Bill Bell years. WRT Adam - as popular as he was, even the most die-hard fan would admit that his character did some hideous things, often without rhyme or reason. When JH took over as Adam, the character was toned down quite a bit, but still. I think SSM had no idea what to do with the character- at least with characters like Victor, Nikki, Victoria, Jack, Sharon, etc, she knew who they were and how to write for them before they were "ruined" by terrible writing. She probably thought it was easier to have Adam stay "dead" and just focus on the characters that she already knew. 

• Love 5
(edited)

She probably thought it was easier to have Adam stay "dead" and just focus on the characters that she already knew. 

I believe there were a couple of factors involved in those decisions. First, the show's fans have been consistently demanding airtime and better storylines for the vets, a lot of whom expressed themselves in that Nielsen survey CBS conducted last year, on boards and via social media. Second, this show in particular in the last five or six years and the genre itself overall, has had multiple returns from the dead twists and other tired tropes, many of which repeated themselves within months after featuring a storyline involving the same damn aspects with sometimes even the same damn actors. I think she felt she'd like to break away from that. She's done that for the most part, but she doesn't have any grand storyline with a lot of drama, action, suspense, etc., which has made the show too slow and uneventful. I think the refocus back to the business-related storylines is a good thing, and there have been some interesting stuff there. I'm not bored or uninterested in the Juliet-Cane development or the Jabot backdrop for the domestic drama involving the Abbott family, but in general, there's been too much meandering  and the Hilary Hour is hootable - and not in a good way. That crap was a big misstep IMO.  SSM should have used an established part of Devon's history, notably his passion for music production. The guy is as rich as Croesus and that kind of money can buy a producer an Empire. That should have been the first thing (or one of them anyway) she wrote. Devon could have established himself a company in which Hilary had a powerful presence. She could have been the PR and promotions exec and when they divorced, she should have gone barracuda and sued for a share of the company and demanded she keep her position. This business of a mega-sensation talk web show from the Genoa City, WI boondocks is just snortable. 

In any event, something's gotta give. I somewhat get the feeling that MY and SSM are not of the same mind about the show's direction, because it really appeared at the outset that AMcD and others at CBS daytime wanted to scuttle the Philly shenanigans. It seems pretty clear that MY wasn't happy about that but he gritted his teeth about it until the ratings started to falter. I have little doubt that the Twitter fans of that pairing have been seized upon as justification restart that coupling in order to juice up the ratings. And I think there was a recognition that Victor couldn't be rehabilitated in the eyes of his family - or the angry viewers who have not forgotten Victor's role in Adam's murder by Victor's collaborator - until he was not only exposed for his crime but punished for it. SSM had the sweet and sappy Good Grampa Victor and the viewers weren't gonna buy it. Not until something was done about his role in Adam's demise (or disappearance or whatever). And one thing to get Victor back in a better place (despite his new responsibility for Chloe's apparent suicide) would be to have Adam return now that he is apparently safe from Chloe's crazed vendetta quest. And, I think they're not fully committed to Chelsea + Nick.   

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 8
On 2017-5-26 at 2:54 PM, HeatLifer said:

IMO, acknowledging and paying attention to only a part of her fanbase who want her paired with JT isn't exactly a good move.

What fans? The ones who hate on her and her character? Why should she care about them? 

On 2017-5-26 at 3:37 PM, HeatLifer said:

The only Phack fans I see are ones who like Jack.. none that are Phyllis fans..I have been a Phyllis fan since her inception and I know most of the Phyllis fans on the MB's and not many Phyllis fans liked Phack at all..

On 2017-5-27 at 2:08 PM, Toomuchsoap said:

NB and JG were wishing that they'd get rid of AH

I am still wishing it.. I think AH is a horrible actress.

• Love 2