Type keyword(s) to search

Couples That Should Have Been

• Start Topic

Have you ever watched a movie and thought that there were certain characters that should have ended up together but didn't?

Ripley and Hicks from Aliens are my ultimate should have been.  I hate what Alien 3 did to them.  They had to beginnings of something and should have been a family with Newt.

I was so disappointed that Queen Latifah and Steve Martin didn't get together in the movie Bringing Down The House.  They had more chemistry with each other than the people they ended up with.  Queen Latifah in particular got a terrible love interest.  He basically fetishizes her. 

I always thought Corny Collins and Mabel should have gotten together in the musical version of Hairspray.  James Marsden and Queen Latifah had tons of chemistry despite not having a lot of scenes together.

• Love 10

I really feel like Rey and Finn should have been a couple at the end of star wars. Fingers crossed since there's more to come.

Raleigh and Mako from Pacific Rim.

Calvin and Spooner from I, Robot

Natasha and Steve or Hawkeye from Marvel movies

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 1

Over here, there's a New Year's Day tradition to watch Ivanhoe (from 1982) - they show it every single year, although I don't know why it became a tradition in the first place - and every single year I sigh and wonder why Ivanhoe and Rebecca didn't end up together.

Other than that, I'm usually the person who wishes people *didn't* end up together.

• Love 5

Well, Queen Latifah has chemistry with anyone and anything on the planet, so really it's a though one. She could be cast in a documentary about the Kalahari desert and we'd be mourning the fact that she didn't stay with that rock she had such a great chemistry with :). She's just that good...  

• Love 6

Over here, there's a New Year's Day tradition to watch Ivanhoe (from 1982) - they show it every single year, although I don't know why it became a tradition in the first place - and every single year I sigh and wonder why Ivanhoe and Rebecca didn't end up together.

Other than that, I'm usually the person who wishes people *didn't* end up together.

Oh, you're not alone, Schweedie. For centuries, Ivanhoe readers have wondered why Ivanhoe didn't dump Rowena for Rebecca. In fact, centuries before it became cool, William Makepeace Thackeray basically wrote and published a fanfiction short story, "Rowena and Rebecca", to rectify this.

I love that version of Ivanhoe, by the way. Olivia Hussey is far and away my favorite Rebecca.

• Love 4

For centuries, Ivanhoe readers have wondered why Ivanhoe didn't dump Rowena for Rebecca.

Really? Oh good, the one I saw was hardly a classic (Anthony Andrews/Olivia Hussey) but yeah Rebecca is so so great and Rowena is so so not.

I also always want Laurie and Jo to happen every time I see the Winona Ryder/Christian Bale version, and now every time I re-read Little Women.

• Love 5

I really feel like Rey and Finn should have been a couple at the end of star wars. Fingers crossed since there's more to come.

I was actually happy that they didn't. I didn't want the movie to fall into that cliche'd trope. 

That being said, I was expecting Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts to hook up in The Pelican Brief (they did in the book). I've heard that Denzel is the one who didn't want them to get together. 

I also would've liked to see Aaliyah and Jet Li get together in Romeo Must Die

• Love 2
Ripley and Hicks from Aliens are my ultimate should have been.  I hate what Alien 3 did to them.  They had to beginnings of something and should have been a family with Newt.

I still fantasize one day some director is going to shoot an Alien sequel ignoring what happened from Alien 3 onwards and just have all three still alive.

• Love 5

Oh, you're not alone, Schweedie. For centuries, Ivanhoe readers have wondered why Ivanhoe didn't dump Rowena for Rebecca. In fact, centuries before it became cool, William Makepeace Thackeray basically wrote and published a fanfiction short story, "Rowena and Rebecca", to rectify this.

I love that version of Ivanhoe, by the way. Olivia Hussey is far and away my favorite Rebecca.

Ha, I didn't know about that Thackeray piece! Must see if I can track that down.

I mean, sure, Rebecca might not (probably wouldn't) have had him even if he'd chosen her, what with their different faiths, but still. She clearly the one.

And I agree - as cheesy as it is, I love it, too. Olivia Hussey is wonderful, and Sam Neill chews the hell out of all the scenery he can find, in the best way. (I also love that he's aware of and amused by this tradition.)

• Love 1

I still fantasize one day some director is going to shoot an Alien sequel ignoring what happened from Alien 3 onwards and just have all three still alive.

I think Neil Blomkamp is going down that route, though god knows when itt'll actually happen.

Basically because of antisemitism. Which is a very stupid reason because Rebecca was way more awesome than Rowena.

Thought of another one: Adam Sandler and Paz Vega in Spanglish.  The wife was such a horrible person that this was the first time I was actively rooting for adultery in a show.  In my mind, Adam Sandler eventually divorced her, got sole custody of the kids (because I have a hard time believing any judge would willingly give her any custody after hearing about the emotional abuse she put her children through), and he and Flor met up again and got together.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Basically because of antisemitism. Which is a very stupid reason because Rebecca was way more awesome than Rowena.

A Saxon knight marrying a Jewess in medieval Britain would never have happened.  Hell, it was pretty unlikely even at the time Sir Walter Scott wrote Ivanhoe.  But, as much as I did like Rowena, Anthony Andrews had waaaaaay more chemistry with Olivia Hussey than he did with Lysette Anthony.  (This is also my favorite version of Ivanhoe, partly because I had the hots for AA and partly for the incredible supporting cast.)

• Love 1

I think Neil Blomkamp is going down that route, though god knows when itt'll actually happen.

I feel a mixture of dread/excitement.  Is he going to recast Ripley/Hicks and have the story take place right after Aliens or is it going to take place 30 years later as if the movies post Aliens didn't exist?  I can't imagine anyone else as Ripley. 

Part of me wishes that Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter had a chance to really be together. Their romance ended before it could really even begin.

Part of you? I keep futilely hoping they'll come up with some time travel storyline so they can be together after all. I can't ship either of them with anyone else because I can only see them with each other! I know Cap will probably end up having something with Sharon Carter (which is really weird.)  

• Love 1

My God that is a good looking man. Animated Deadpool was right. He really was the biggest hottie in the movie. 

I really liked Wade and Vanessa, but if Wade gets a boyfriend next movie, he and Weasel wouldn't be the worst thing ever...

I am forever heart broken that Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter will never be, baring any time travel shenanigans. 

12 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Gabby (Alicia Vikander) and Ilya (Armie Hammer) in The Man from UNCLE. They 100% would have gotten together in the sequel, but there wasn't one so they never did. 

Wow. First post in almost 2 years. Thanks—I’d forgotten this topic existed. 

Crane and Abbie in Sleepy Hollow. Their on-sceeen chemistry was off the chats from day one. And according to the Showrunner’s own biblical prophecy,  they were supposed to be together fighting the Apocalypse.

Zack and Lisa in Saved By The Bell. They looked cute together  

And speaking of Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Lawson and Ginny Baker in Pitch. Again, off the charts cuteness.

Hmmm. 3 interracial romances. Purely coincidental, I swear. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, topanga said:

Wow. First post in almost 2 years. Thanks—I’d forgotten this topic existed. 

Crane and Abbie in Sleepy Hollow. Their on-sceeen chemistry was off the chats from day one. And according to the Showrunner’s own biblical prophecy,  they were supposed to be together fighting the Apocalypse.

And speaking of Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Lawson and Ginny Baker in Pitch. Again, off the charts cuteness.

I’m still bitter about Zack and Lisa.  They had so much chemistry.  One episode they were dating in the next they weren’t with no explantion.  Even in those episodes where Kelly and Jesse weren’t in the cast.  They put Zack with horrible Tori rather than put him with Lisa.   In general Lisa was screwed over in the relationship department on that show.  She’s the only one never to have a romance last longer than an episode.  Even Screech had Violet.  

Lawson and Ginny could have really been something great but the show ended too soon.  

• Love 7
13 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

No problem @topanga! I saw a clip of them from the movie and remembered how bummed i was that there would be no sequel and they would never get together.

Aaaannnnd, they were all TV shows! I really must pay better attention before I post! LOL 

• Love 2
On 2/14/2018 at 12:25 PM, topanga said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I never watched Sleepy Hollow, but the dude that played Ichabod was super attractive. I'll freely admit to projecting my damn-near life long lust of Mark-Paul Gosselaar on Lisa and Ginny. I still have the last episode of Pitch on the DVR; I can't bring myself to watch/delete it because I'm still pissed it got canceled and it's not over if I don't finish it (insane troll logic).

15 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I’m still bitter about Zack and Lisa.  They had so much chemistry.  One episode they were dating in the next they weren’t with no explantion.

I'll never be over this!

• Love 1

While I'm at it, another couple would be Adam (Bradley Cooper) and Tony (Daniel Bruhl) characters in Burnt. Sienna Miller's character was so boring and not even necessary in the film. There was all of this drama and lip service paid to Adam messing up and needing to make up for his past actions, but then they introduced Sienna's character and it was hardly touched on until the end of the movie . They even went out of their way to have Tony have unrequited feelings for Adam. Having Adam be bisexual would have been way more interesting than the boring romance they gave us.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

Honestly, I wanted Simon and that cute piano player to end up together in Love Simon. I knew who Blue was because I spoiled myself on Wikipedia, but I still preferred the other guy.

I'm still upset after all these years that Bud and Deanie didn't wind up together in Splendor in the Grass.

I really gotta disagree with this, because I loved Angelina, Bud's wife. She had two scenes and managed to imbue enough likeability and charisma that I was pretty happy with Bud's choice there. And the bittersweet part is that Deanie knew Bud had made a good choice- I kind of loved that they didn't try to make Bud's second choice some awful person. She was sweet and kind and vulnerable yet strong.

Deanie, on the other, definitely seemed like she was making the best of her situation.

I did kind of like the reversal of it all, though- Deanie is going to live a nice comfortable life as a doctor's wife while Bud and Angie are going to struggle as farmers.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I know that Marvel pretty much follows template when creating their movies, which is why the heroes and villians seem so similar, even when they say they went out of their way to make such and such character "unique", in a lot of ways, but I kind of ship "Ghost" aka Ava Starr and Killmonger aka Eric Stevens aka N’Jadaka. Never will happen. Orphaned young (maybe even the same year), betrayed, turned into killers by the U.S. Government. It also wouldn't be crazy they would in the same "ghost"unit at some point. I could see Killmonger convincing her the gov't won't give her the cure and to just take what she wants, especially since those people wronged her family in the first place. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1

I just happened to catch Zootopia on TV again. I ship Judy Hoops and Nick Wilde so hard. They end up as friends and Judy is Nick's training officer after he graduates from the police academy. But they have such amazing chemistry. At the same time, it is nice to see male and female characters that can just be friends. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I just happened to catch Zootopia on TV again. I ship Judy Hoops and Nick Wilde so hard. They end up as friends and Judy is Nick's training officer after he graduates from the police academy. But they have such amazing chemistry. At the same time, it is nice to see male and female characters that can just be friends. 

They did an excellent job with that friendship and character developments in the movie. The movie will be getting two sequels so there is a high likelihood of romance between Judy and Nick.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo in "Begin Again".  What a freaking letdown.  I really like the movie, but this would have really made it a goodie.  

I feel like the director was trying to take a page from his previous work "Once", but I really didn't get why they went that direction.

• Love 1
(edited)

Two beautiful actors, pretty good chemistry, and a quality movie.  It was all just right there.  I don't think I've ever seen anything so weird.  I've watched many romcoms, many movies, and sometimes "the couple" doesn't end up together.  But it usually makes sense!  This one was just........  wasted potential, I thought.   Would have really put the cherry on top.

The director also publicly trashed Keira Knightley (whom I love), so he clearly wasn't inspired by her.   Who knows what he thought she couldn't handle.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 6/12/2019 at 6:23 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo in "Begin Again".  What a freaking letdown.  I really like the movie, but this would have really made it a goodie.  

I saw this movie with a coworker.  She is 70.  She said she hoped that pretty young girl didn’t get with that old slob (Ruffalo).  She also said Adam Levine didn’t have it as a singer.  

I have not gone to movie with her since. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 6/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The director also publicly trashed Keira Knightley (whom I love), so he clearly wasn't inspired by her.   Who knows what he thought she couldn't handle.

I enjoyed Begin Again. It was a light, fun story and I was disappointed to learn that John Carney was such a dick about Keira Knightley. I can't believe he was dumb enough to burn a bridge like that.

• Love 5