Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Channing Tatum vs. Jenna Dewan Tatum

I was really surprised that they each got just two performances in. It was a full hour, but I guess when you have 40 minutes of commercials, the performance times are going to take a hit.

I found it hilarious that badass Channing Tatum dressed in drag for not one but BOTH performances. 

The Tatums really genuinely seem like a fun couple who like each other and still be competitive. Good for them!

• Love 4

Honestly I had to start DVRing this show so I didn't have to sit through all the fluff. I like the Chrissy Teigan/LL Cool J interactions, but the commercials... so much commercials. Jenna was amazing and seemed to really work hard to make both her performances quality.  Her lip syncing during Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake was totally on. I feel like Channing relied on just dressing like a girl (and Beyonce) to win. I did like their fun banter. They seem like a really fun couple. 

• Love 1

I forgot to add:

Out of curiosity, I compared Jenna's "Cold-Hearted" with Paula's original video. Girlfriend NAILED it. I loved watching Channing bouncing around as he proudly watched his wife (and LL's head bobbing that he does when he gets into performances never ceases to amuse me).

And Channing turning beat red and looking down as he was surrounded by Jenna and Paula was adorable.

• Love 4

So much fun. I love it when the celebs take the performances seriously without taking themselves too seriously. I usually love seeing LL Cool J and the other celeb in the background, and I don't mind Teigen, but I didn't want them to cut away from Jenna. She was great, and so was Paula. From the first glimpse of the top of Channing's Elsa wig, I was crying. I loved his wind-swept roll, and all the little touches. The happy snowflakes scamper-shuffling off, even. I'm kind of glad Channing went for laughs rather than a sexy performance (I'd have had to mute the TV). I think it just created a different audience vibe than if he'd have gone more Magic Mike. All in all, a blast. 

• Love 1

I think the right winner was crowned last night.  Jenna had much more quality performances.  I think Channing just went for over the top performances.  I would've loved to have seen some awesome dancing from him last night - didn't have to be a sexy performance.

Great episode to kick off Season 2.  Both of them were fantastic performers.  Both had celebrity assistance, though I think Jenna made better use of her guest star.  Channing really got into his feminine side for both performances with hilarious results.  Jenna certainly went into her masculine side for her Magic Mike performance.  These two were fun to watch. 

The only issue with the episode is that it was an hour long with 40 minutes of commercials.  Both the holiday special and the season 1 finale were hour long episodes, but they had enough content for the hour.  I hope this doesn't become a trend, premiering new episodes as an hour long only to have 20 minutes of actual content.  YouTube will continue to beat Spike in viewership if this keeps up.

• Love 2

The real winner was Paula Abdul.  Woman still looks and dances the same way she did in the video over 25 years ago!

That said, Channing was funny if not traumatizing to the little girls who watched Frozen one time too many.  Jenna though...she smashed the damn thing both times. 

And Channing turning beat red and looking down as he was surrounded by Jenna and Paula was adorable.

That and his blushing when she gave him the lap dance had me on the floor.

• Love 8

My verdict: loved it, but since I suggested it in the "Dream LSB" thread several months ago, I'm biased. Jenna's dancing in "Cold-Hearted" and "Pony" was on-point, but Paula Abdul's & Adam Rodriguez's respective cameos didn't hurt. Quentin Tarentino, who directed Channing in The Hateful 8, had a good time, too. Channing's performances were hilarious. He may not be RuPaul's Drag Race material, but like Jenna, he was having fun, which made it fun to watch.  Channing's rendition of "Let it Go," complete with special snowflakes, was not only hysterical, I think he was paying tribute to all the fellow loving fathers with little daughters whom they love who are so obsessed with Frozen that they not only watch it all day, every day, they dress like Elsa every chance they get and they sing That. Damn. Song. every waking moment, whether anyone likes it or not. The way I see it, Channing's channeling Elsa was his way of letting those daddies know that he feels their pain.

I think the right winner was crowned last night.

So did I, because it was not only declared a tie, this episode made the Tatums  the first members of the LSB Hall Of Fame.  

The real winner was Paula Abdul.

I respectfully disagree. As great as Paula Abdul was, for my money, the real winner was Beyoncé. I normally don't approve of cameos by the original artists on LSB, but if ever there was an exception to that rule, it's Beyoncé. Seeing Queen Bey strut her stuff for just a few seconds not only blew my mind, it blew the studio audience's, the Tatum's (especially Jenna's), LL's, Chrissy's and the backup dancer's minds as well.

How long before this episode is submitted for the Canon and enshrined by unanimous acclamation?

Say what??

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Who produces this show? How do they manage to get A list celebrities to appear on it? I'm not complaining - I LOVE IT! It is so much fun. I now have a huge crush on Jenna Dewan Tatum. She was so cool and adorable last night. I didn't know anything about her before last night's show.

Edited by BananaRama
  • Love 2

The only thing that disappointed was that Channing didn't do much dancing... at least not compared to the stuff that Jenna was doing. Knowing how good he can move, he seemed a lot more stompy than I expected, if that makes sense. I didn't need a stripper show, but I found his choreography underwhelming, even if the drag route was hilarious.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the whole show, but Jenna was the winner for me.  I'm not a Beyoncé fan (though I don't hate her), so her appearance wasn't as cool for me as Paula Abdul's was in the beginning.  I also felt like Jenna brought more energy to both performances than Channing did.  Special Snowflakes were hilarious though.

I find Beyonce extremely overrated, so I'm actually quite disappointed in all the "Channing OWNS Lip Sync Battle!!!" stories this morning. Jenna came out and killed both of her routines, AND remembered to lip sync. 

• Love 9

Loved all of it - so much fun! But I gotta agree that Jenna was the winner by far.  While I floved her "Pony" routine (because hellerrr? That is the BEST part of MM), her Cold Hearted Snake routine was everything. The dancing, the lip snyc-ing, the wardrobe... all of it. And that was before Paula herself came out. OMFG.  That was amazing and the 2 of them together was brilliant. 

I love Channing and he was so much fun, but I'm totally on board with those who were waiting for him to "break it down" a little bit more. We know he's got moves... I wanted to see them.  (yeah, yeah its LSB not a dance competition, but... Channing!)

• Love 4

Who produces this show? How do they manage to get A list celebrities to appear on it? I'm not complaining - I LOVE IT! It is so much fun. I now have a huge crush on Jenna Dewan Tatum. She was so cool and adorable last night. I didn't know anything about her before last night's show.

So I looked it up on Wikipedia... John Krasinski (I know him from The Office but he's transitioned into movies successfully) David Larzelere (a producer with the production company), Stephen Merchant, Casey Patterson (just regular old producer), Jay Peterson (same), Rick Schwartz, and LL Cool J are all listed as producers.  Rick might be what's bringing in some of the bigger star power. He's a film and TV producer whose credits include The Departed, Black Swan, Gangs of New York, The Departed, The Others.  And it is his and Jimmy Fallon's production company that produces the show. So between the two of them they seem to know who to call to get it done. 

LOL Great ep but they should've had a duet song together. If you're going to do an hour show then there should be 5 songs IMO. 

Both of them were taking the Lip Syncing seriously, but were clearly having a blast doing it; perfect contestants in other words. 

Jenna doing her second song, I think they had to cut away so often because it was getting too risque even for Spike. :)

Having both Beyonce and Paula is only fair; both got a boost from having the star showing up. :)

All in all, I'd say Jenna really won. Channing was fantastic, and would probably win against most others; but Jenna just nailed EVERYTHING in her songs. I agree that Paula showing up was overall more impressive than Beyonce; Paula stuck around and interacted more. (Including showing up for the end credits; I don't think Beyonce was there; granted she's still at/near the top of her career while Paula's doing her retirement laps)

I think the appeal for this show is that it's a quick show. Guest stars is just a quick cameo. And if you actually show up, it's a few days practice basically. With the ratings and viral fame this show is getting, it's fun for everyone and a good way to boost your popularity, as long as you're willing to go all in. 

• Love 3

I do enjoy watching this show as it usually makes me smile. However. I feel like this show is becoming less about actual lip syncing and more about choreography, fancy outfits, backup dancers, and how dirty you can dance. I kind of appreciate more "straight" lip syncing talent that you see more on the Fallon version vs all this extra fluff that can obscure the actual lip syncing part.

• Love 1

Good lord Chrissy was er.... busting out... even more than usual. I mean it wasn't just the cut of the dress, I mean rather than edit it out, they left in the clip of those um... things moving straight up and down rather violently.

Too bad she's (still) such a waste of space otherwise.

She managed to take a pretty minor (and inevitably cliched) role on Supergirl and make it interesting. So I was already on her side.

I found it hilarious that badass Channing Tatum dressed in drag for not one but BOTH performances.

Yeah, but it was also eye rolly. He knew he'd get the crowd going nuts on that alone.

And really, Beyonce already trumps Paula Abdul. The dressing like a bad drag version of her was just overkill.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I could swear that I was able to view this show in Hulu+ on Apple TV before this week's episode. Now I can't find it (any of the episodes).

Am I remembering that correctly? Has anyone else viewed LSB in Hulu+??

Good lord Chrissy was er.... busting out... even more than usual. I mean it wasn't just the cut of the dress, I mean rather than edit it out, they left in the clip of those um... things moving straight up and down rather violently.

Not sure when this was taped, but I just assumed that she'd gotten her "pregnancy boobs."

I re-watched Step Up last weekend in honor of the Tatums. Damn I forgot how cheesy the dialogue is in that movie - but damn, those 2 are hot together!

I rewatched both of Channing's performances again.  He really didn't try as hard as Jenna.  Jenna did a full choreographed performance with Paula Abdul complete with actual lip syncing.  Then she recreated her husband's "Pony" dance from both movies, while lip syncing.  She put in the work here.

Channing simply dressed up in dresses, flopped about the stage, and enjoyed the limelight of Queen Bey.  He didn't lip sync much, more in the Frozen scene than as Beyoncé.  He never really got his dance on either.  He never went Magic Mike in his performances.  He could have devastated if he did.  But he didn't deserve the tie. 

Jenna earned the win.

• Love 6

Omg Jenna was awesome. Channing was good too, but I agree he didn't really lip sync as much. I also find it hilariously funny when a girl who is generally "clean cut" is inappropriate (I don't mean that in a bad way I just mean more outside of their usual image) Jenna doing Pony is in close running with Julianna Houghs I just had sex as my favorite performance, with Anne Hathaways Wrecking ball as a third place.

• Love 1

This might actually be my favorite current show (that and It's Always Sunny...)!! That was amazing - I just rewatched it. And it made me not dislike Beyonce for about 30 seconds!! That's a true miracle. 

Small minority - I like Chrissy. And she was hella-into singing the Beyonce song!

I know I'm late to the party, but I thought Jenna slayed it with Pony! She was so fun to watch - and LL's expressions were cracking me up! It was like he didn't know how to react to her performance, lol.

I thought Channing was cute and all, but dude is expressionless.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, teapot100 said:

I know I'm late to the party, but I thought Jenna slayed it with Pony! She was so fun to watch - and LL's expressions were cracking me up! It was like he didn't know how to react to her performance, lol.

LL's reaction to 'Pony' cracked me up.  He's always over exaggerating his facial reactions during lip sync's to the point that I've always thought he's not completely genuine about it.  Like the way Fallon laughs too hard at all his guests jokes.

For this performance LL was completely stone faced.  I could almost hear the chant in his head "her husband is sitting right next to you.  her husband is sitting right next to you."  LL didn't show any reaction until Channing became part of the act and had his back to LL.