Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: OMG! That's Michelle Obama

Katie won, yeah! Maya is something! I can't believe she just turned 14. It was interesting the camera panned to Tim Gunn when speaking about Victoria. He didn't offer that he designed her outfit for her. I agree she was a seamstress, not a designer, this episode. Hated to see Jessie go. As usual, these kids have more maturity than PR adults.

• Love 5

I think I say this everytime I watch this show but I'm so impressed by how mature these kids are. Yes, they were snarky with each other but it wasn't mean or malicious. They talk smack about each other's designs in their TH interviews but they might be encouraged to do that by the producers.

I thought Peytie's design was cute and fit the travel theme but I thought Maya's was the best. I loved all three pieces. Zachary's was good too.

I was shocked they sent Jesse home. Yes, that top was on the ugly side but the skirt was school like and well made. I thought Jaxson should have gone home , that silver romper was hideous. I'm ok with emo girl (Victoria?) going home.

Peytie's backpack was cute. She did a good job.

• Love 5

I would have kept Jesse over Jaxson. His outfit may not have been fashionable but it looked well tailored. Jackson's outfit was pretty terrible all around. I am fine with her going home. I caught up with this during the marathon before the new episode and was really tired of all the black.

I thought Maya should have won too. Peyties outfit was cute but I didn't love the straps.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 5

I thought Peytie's (worst name ever) outfit was adorable so I'm glad that she won. I liked her backpack too! I'm surprised that the judges liked Zachary's outfit so much. It was nice and well made but it seemed a little mature for a young women.

Anyway, I was hoping to see a little more of Bridget's outfit. It looked pretty cool from the little I saw of if.

I'm very surprised that Jesse went home over Jaxon (second worst name ever!) Jesse's was boring but at least it was well made. Jaxon's was a hot mess.

I'm fine with Victoria leaving. She's basically Candice as a teenager. I'm so over black! I was hoping Tim would mention that she was basically designing the exact same outfit that she was wearing during the critique.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised by how sweet and talented this kids are. I almost passed on this show after the disaster that was last season's Project Runway but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

• Love 6

I am continuing to be amazed at the talent and creativity of these young contestants.  (Especially after the last season of PR regular.)  

Is it just that they are fearless and have that level of self-confidence that only youth can have?  Or, are they really just more talented?  

They all seem to have excellent skills, and their ideas, while maybe not super innovative, are well thought-out and fun to watch while walking the runway.  

Zachary's dress was gorgous, and I loved both Peytie's and Maya's looks.  

I didn't like the silver thing that Jaxson made (reminded me of the "ladies of wrestling" challenge several season ago), so I thought that Jesse should have stayed over Jaxson.  Victoria's (is that her name) outift was okay, but I definitely didn't get "school" from it...don't know what school she goes to, but around here, if a girl wore that she would have been sent home to change.  

EDITED:  to correct names - I still can't figure them all out!!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 3

Really sad to see Jesse go--Ihe seemed like one of the more talented people there, and a very sweet kid, too. I expected him to go much farther.

Based on the quick glimpse we got of Bridget's outfit, I think she might have been my favorite. The skirt almost seemed to be referencing a plaid flannel shirt tied around the waist, skatepunk style, which is really cool. And Maya's outfit was excellent--I wanted it, and I'm about a million years past school age. But I thought Peytie's outfit was very cute and original, and I'm fine with her winning.

These kids are just so talented, and so likable. I wish original recipe PR were even half as enjoyable nowadays.

• Love 7

I didn't like the outfits as much as the previous challenges, but I like the kids. Peytie and Maya made really cute outfits and they fit the challenge. Zachary's outfit looked a little mature for a younger girl and it also looked a lot like some of his previous work; but it was still very pretty.

The silver romper and the too short for school looks were the bottom for me. Jessie's look was boring, but the skirt was cute. There was nothing cute about the silver romper. 

• Love 2

I thought Peytie's (my autocorrect keeps changing her name to peyote) design was fine, but preferred Maya and Zachary's outfits. I really liked all the pieces to Maya's the best though. I thought Bridget's design was nice too.

I am sad that they sent Jesse home. His look was not exciting, but it looked well made and so much better than Jaxon's silver romper with a mesh vest. I thought Jesse has been more consistent than Jaxon overall as well. 

I was fine with Victoria going home because everything she seemed to design was a black crop top and some kind of black bottoms. Also, because Tim told her how to redesign her outfit. I wonder if it is going to be like Masterchef Junior where if one of the chefs/judges step in to give someone who is in the weeds a lot of help then they usually go home. It kind of gives the kids some dignity in actually finishing something even though they get cut.

I said last episode I am over Samantha's design aesthetic and I stand by it after seeing her outfit this week. It was like her first challenge outfit and the last episode challenge outfit combined. I do not want to see another giant, boxy jacket from her.

• Love 2

I thought Peytie's (worst name ever) outfit was adorable so I'm glad that she won. I liked her backpack too! I'm surprised that the judges liked Zachary's outfit so much. It was nice and well made but it seemed a little mature for a young women.

I'm very surprised that Jesse went home over Jaxon (second worst name ever!) Jesse's was boring but at least it was well made. Jaxon's was a hot mess.

I came here to see if anybody else noticed that the center seam of Zachary's ass cape (or whatever you'd call that thing) was horribly puckered.  Nobody's mentioned it, so maybe I was just seeing things.  I did notice that no one asked the model to turn around during close inspection, so maybe they just didn't want to have to acknowledge the pucker (assuming it really was there!).

I have a feeling that Jaxson was saved over Jesse, whose work was so much better, to avoid embarrassing Tim, who kind of led him in the direction of using that silver fabric.  Tim was definitely working overtime to talk Jaxson up and minimize his poor choice during the judges' discussion.

• Love 1

When Jesse was told he was out, I was hoping we'd get a Tim Gunn save. I feel like he's shown great potential and been near the top most weeks. Jaxson's outfit was very poorly constructed to the point that it was even distracting from the design. The romper seam across the back was horribly puckered and something about the proportions just felt off and not symmetrical.

I was fine with either Peytie or Maya winning as they both had great designs. Interesting how we barely even saw some of the others tonight. Zach and Samantha's air times were blink and you missed them. I was surprised there was no commentary on Zach's fabric choice. It reminded me of drapery. Very Sound of Music.

It's easy to remember how young these guys are when they lose their minds over a pre-recorded tape of the first lady. I chuckled later in the episode when Tim commented that they had had a "visit" from the first lady. I watched a presidential address earlier this week and assuming he was addressing me, the public, so I guess I can say I had a visit from the president this week.

• Love 4

I came here to see if anybody else noticed that the center seam of Zachary's ass cape (or whatever you'd call that thing) was horribly puckered.  Nobody's mentioned it, so maybe I was just seeing things.  I did notice that no one asked the model to turn around during close inspection, so maybe they just didn't want to have to acknowledge the pucker (assuming it really was there!).

Yes, the seam was terrible.  I actually hated Zachary's "dress".  The material was very pretty but what party girl is going to a club in a train/cape?  I thought his design was downright stupid.  I wish designers would think about the practicality of their designs as well as the aesthetics.

I knew that one of the School designers would fall into the school uniform trap, but I didn't expect it to be Jesse.  That was the first idea that popped into my mind and I knew it was a terrible one, because I do not have a creative bone in my body.  Maybe Tim will use his save at the beginning of next week on Jesse.  I think he has more potential than most of the remaining designers and I was shocked that Jaxson was kept over him.

Does Tim have a save?

I'm still loving these kids. I also thought it was a toss up between the blonde girl and Maya. They were both awesome, but nothing was terrible.

I think these kids just haven't been told what they can't do yet, so they're still fresh and...open. What throws me is that they're all so nice, thus far. It's super refreshing.

• Love 1

Yes, the host mentioned the Tim Gunn save before the runway show.

I agree that the contestants all seem pretty mature considering that they're so young. I don't mean that I expect all teenagers to be obnoxious, rude, etc. but the maturity level is really striking after watching the last few seasons of regular PR. These designers are polite and respectful. In contrast, I can think of way too many immature shit stirring drama queens we have seen on PR. I know that people like to say that teenagers are The Worst, but when a 14 year old is better behaved than someone twice her age on regular PR, it should give the adult designers something to think about. We're already on the fourth episode and we've already had a team challenge but the cattiest thing I've heard from the junior designers so far was Zachary saying that Victoria is a seamstress since Tim redesigned her outfit. At this point in a regular PR season, I'm already tired of at least one drama queen. I'm not sure if this says more about the maturity of the junior contestants or the immaturity of the regular contestants.

Samantha's outfit looked like something you could already buy at the mall. That's not the worst criticism in the world, but since the judges told Jesse that he made clothes but they wanted him to create fashion, I just thought I should point out that Samantha's wasn't really fashion either. Her design wasn't awful but it was pretty forgettable.

Jesse's top was very early 90s, from the boxy shape to the color and the mock turtleneck. But I really loved the skirt. When Kelly said her school uniform skirt was exactly the same, I was jealous because when I had to wear a school uniform, it was nowhere near that cute!

Bridget's was just okay to me. She mentioned faux flannel in her talking head so was she saying that there wasn't actually a shirt tied around the waist? Like that was part of the dress? I guess I'm old but I would never wear two french braids with a dress.

I didn't like Victoria's look. As the judges said, this was not a school outfit. I was glad that Kelly pointed out how uneven the fabric was on the shoulders. I noticed it during the runway show but I thought it just looked that way due to the strap of the crossbody bag the model was wearing. I understand only wearing black, but I don't understand only designing in black. You can't see as many design details when everything is black which is terrible for a runway show. Victoria made a comment about how proud she was of the detailing on the back of the top and I was like what? Where?

Peytie's outfit is not something I would actually want to wear, but I still thought she deserved the win. Funny that the outfit she designed in the very first episode reminded me of Uli because this week her use of print reminded me of Uli too. She has such a good eye for that. As Kelly pointed out, Peytie knew exactly where to place the print for the best effect.

I wish Matt had explained where exactly this girl was wearing his outfit. I don't know what kind of traveling he does, but a see through high necked lace top with a long skirt is not something I would wear in my travels. When he said that his was the only ballgown on the runway, I thought yeah, but that's not exactly a good thing since this wasn't a red carpet challenge. His model had such a tiny waist!

Jaxson's space romper was not good. The romper itself was constructed poorly and the white mesh jacket looked so cheap. I would have eliminated him and kept Jesse.

I really liked Maya's look. The asymmetric vest was nice and the pants fit well. That was definitely a much nicer sporty look than anyone else's, but it was also an upgrade from the usual lululemond outfit.

Zachary's dress was more red carpet than party to me. I did like the color combination though.

Zach's jumpsuit - yowza. The fabric looked like a sofa from the 80s.

• Love 3

Here's the backpack: http://www.landsend.com/products/kids-global-classmate-backpack/id_294940?sku_0=::44X

It doesn't say anything about a portion of the profits from the sale of the backpack going to the cause, which disappointed me given the price. I was hoping to get two for my girls, who have been watching the show with great interest, but I can't quite justify $120 (especially given that this doesn't look big enough to replace their current school backpacks, which have to hold an awful lot). Oh well, maybe I'll get one for myself. :-)

• Love 1

Here's the backpack: http://www.landsend.com/products/kids-global-classmate-backpack/id_294940?sku_0=::44X

It doesn't say anything about a portion of the profits from the sale of the backpack going to the cause, which disappointed me given the price. I was hoping to get two for my girls, who have been watching the show with great interest, but I can't quite justify $120 (especially given that this doesn't look big enough to replace their current school backpacks, which have to hold an awful lot). Oh well, maybe I'll get one for myself. :-)

I was interested too, but it doesn't say anything at all about donations, so I'm reluctant to spend the money.

I echo what others have said, these designers are not only talented, but refreshingly decent as well. Aside from Zachary calling Victoria a seamstress, not a designer, which was astute, there has been little snark or backbiting.

Peyote is designing wonderful stuff. Her choices would not be mine, but they are beautifully made, and she has a adventurous eye for color and fabric. 

Zachary's design was a little old for the high-school set, but the top was better than anything shown on Season 14, from the adult designers.

i am loving Maya's stuff though...I echo the judge from 17...I want that jacket. It is a standout, and the asymmetrical zipper and collar options are killer.

Jesse had a standout look from the car wash episode, and he can tailor as well...I am sorry that he was sent home. Jaxon's effort was truly awful though, so I wish he had gone instead.

Loving this show...reminds me of PR when it was so much fun to watch.

Welp, I was kind of disappointed that after three consecutive suckages by Matt, where they didn't take the opportunity to send him home, he skated by in a week where there was a double elimination. I'm fine with Victorya leaving - I'm bored with her pseudo goth esthetic - and would have been fine with Jaxson leaving, even though I really like him, but I was sad about Jesse. I think he has more potential for a career than Matt and I think it's a sure bet Matt is staying around because the producers want him.

Peytie didn't bug me this week and I thought hers was definitely the best look for the challenge. I do love what she can do with prints. My choice would have been Maya, but she and Peytie were neck and neck for me so either could have won and I would have been happy.

I was not as impressed with Zachary's as the judges were, BUT the young man does have a distinct voice and he has skills. All of his stuff skews a little old to me, but that's not necessarily a bad thing when they're designing for tweens to age 18 max in this competition.

Overall, these young people continue to amaze and I am left to wonder what has happened to PR Adults to make it feel so different from this version. It's like night and day on different planets.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

I wish Matt had explained where exactly this girl was wearing his outfit. I don't know what kind of traveling he does, but a see through high necked lace top with a long skirt is not something I would wear in my travels. When he said that his was the only ballgown on the runway, I thought yeah, but that's not exactly a good thing since this wasn't a red carpet challenge. His model had such a tiny waist!

Jaxson's space romper was not good. The romper itself was constructed poorly and the white mesh jacket looked so cheap. I would have eliminated him and kept Jesse.

I am utterly baffled and mystified. Some of those models looked like streetwalkers! Weren't these supposed to be suitable for high school girls? And I concur on Matt's evening gown for travel. I was positive he'd be dinged for that, but not a murmur. Very annoyed that Jesse, who made something appropriate for the task and executed well, was axed over Jaxon's ill fitting space hooker and Matt's traveling nightclub singer Barbie. WTF?

Welp, I was kind of disappointed that after three consecutive suckages by Matt, where they didn't take the opportunity to send him home, he skated by in a week where there was a double elimination. I'm fine with Victorya leaving - I'm bored with her pseudo goth esthetic - and would have been fine with Jaxson leaving, even though I really like him, but I was sad about Jesse. I think he has more potential for a career than Matt and I think it's a sure bet Matt is staying around because the producers want him.

We could have been rid of Matt last week! Gah! Why are they saving him? I don't get it.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 4

Anyway, I was hoping to see a little more of Bridget's outfit. It looked pretty cool from the little I saw of if.

I'm fine with Victoria leaving. She's basically Candice as a teenager. I'm so over black! I was hoping Tim would mention that she was basically designing the exact same outfit that she was wearing during the critique.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised by how sweet and talented this kids are. I almost passed on this show after the disaster that was last season's Project Runway but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

I don't think Jaxon (Jaxson?)'s name is that bad. I just look at it as an offbeat spelling of the name "Jackson"... Which it is.

That was a tough one because I would definitely have kept Jesse and he probably wouldn't have been in the bottom looks either.  As much as I think Jakson would be a fun friend to have in school, his design was pretty bad.  The fabrics were awful and the design wasn't much of anything.

I agreed with the winner and in fact didn't see anyone else who was even close.

Is it too late for Tim to save Jesse?

I want Jesse back. His outfit was nothing new, but it was well executed, and school-girl chic can be fun to play around with. 

Peytie made me a believer. I'm not one to wear prints, but she manipulated the fabric very well - reminded me of how Dom would use fabric. Also, the design was clever and thoughtful, and appropriate for her theme. Victoria's made me cringe in all of its iterations.

Maya's was really clever and thoughtful, too. 

I disliked Zach's print, but was glad to see him safe. 

Jaxson's was a hot mess, and made me feel embarrassed for him. 

Samantha's getting to be one note. 

I wanted to see Bridget's better, too. 

Happy that Victoria went home, was getting really tired of the same outfit each week from her, which pretty much matched what she was already wearing. Surprised they kept Jaxson over Jesse, I think Jaxson will be the next to leave. Matt is annoying but he does have some good ideas, so I don't mind him staying for now. Loved Maya's outfit, I want it.

Best part of the episode was seeing SWATCH!!!

Edited by WigglyJKitten
  • Love 1

Just read the PT review....totally disagree with the "infighting". Did you miss season 14 of adult PR? Or previous seasons? Only during the talking heads did a couple of designers criticize one another's work...and you know, from watching Unreal, that production assistants pulled that quote from him. Unprompted, Zachary said that Victoria was a seamstress, not a designer, which, though not kind, was true enough.

And why so down on Peytie...sure she's gorgeous, optimistic, hugely talented, and genuinely enthusiastic. Reason enough to dislike her, i suppose.

• Love 1

I was disappointed to see Jesse go, too.  I really liked the kid. 

I wish the website would post the clothes each week.  I can only remember a few.  I see no reason other than laziness not to post them.  

• Love 1

Preferred the boy's party look (Alexander?)  He's the real star of the season.

And instead of OMG, could it be 'Ugh!" -- Has MO ever found a video clip she didn't want to star in?

Hated the backpack.  As a regular Lands End shopper, I will stick to their awesome coats, boots, dog fashions, sheets, towels, and plain canvas totes.

I wish the website would post the clothes each week. I can only remember a few. I see no reason other than laziness not to post them.

I agree. I tried looking for pictures of each week's designs on their website and couldn't find anything useful. I understand if they don't want to do the regular rate the runway thing since they're kids, but they could just post pictures of the designs and not allow comments or ratings.

• Love 1

Who was Random Euro Lady at the end? 

Okay, I just rewound. She's the CEO of Land's End.  Because you know... when you think of Land's End you think of Europeans.

I suppose they got bought out at some point. I mean they started in Wisconsin.

• Love 2

I was disappointed to see Jesse go, too. I really liked the kid.

I wish the website would post the clothes each week. I can only remember a few. I see no reason other than laziness not to post them.

Entertainment Weekly posts 2-page recaps of each ep at their website, EW.com (they also do this for the original adult version). They don't have pics of every "look" that goes down the runway, but they do include pics of the "top" & "bottom" ones which the Judges actually critique & use to determine the elimination(s); those are on the 2nd page of the recap, where the runway show & elimination are discussed--page 1 is the "set up" of the ep (challenge theme, etc.). At least it's something.

Here's the link to the recap for this week (there are also recaps for the earlier eps):

http://www.ew.com/recap/project-runway-junior-season-1-episode-4

Hope this helps some!

• Love 3

When Victoria's look came down, I immediately thought, "school dominatrix."  All those micro-mini skirts would have gotten girls sent home from school.  And Jesse's outfit screamed school uniform to me as soon as I saw it.

I thought Peytie's fabric did the work for her.  I was appalled by how short the dress was but then I realized there were shorts underneath.

Liked the top part of Samantha's outfit but the bottom looked like one of Alexandria's droopy crotch pants. 

I liked Samantha's outfit, it was very current.  A friend of mine has several drop crotch pants and she looks fabulous.  She is tiny and her clothes are all high end and that makes a difference with those pants.  One pair she has are from Eileen Fisher and If I looked good in them I would snap them up!   I tried them on but I am too short.  

Peytie's outfit was well made and I see why she won but it looked like it was for a much younger girl, like 8 to 10 years old.  There was no age specified so perhaps that is what the judges thought, too.  

I have my eye on Maya, Samantha or Peytie for the win.  It appears they are making clothes for young women that are current and well made. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

Again, I'm shocked that I loved Peytie's outfit.  It was nothing I would wear, but it was very skillfully done and showed a lot of talent and sass!  I think she has a bright future, especially for the LA boutique crowd.

Loved Samantha's outfit, but that's the way I dress, so . . .

Overall, I'm getting pretty bored by the rest of the designers.  Things are ok,  but nothing to go crazy over.

• Love 1

Again, I'm shocked that I loved Peytie's outfit.  It was nothing I would wear, but it was very skillfully done and showed a lot of talent and sass!  I think she has a bright future, especially for the LA boutique crowd.

Loved Samantha's outfit, but that's the way I dress, so . . .

Overall, I'm getting pretty bored by the rest of the designers.  Things are ok,  but nothing to go crazy over.

I agree.  A couple of them designed clothes that were evening wear that didn't fit the challenge description and neither were all that interesting.   Zack was one and I don't see him making it far.  It appears he wants to design red carpet clothing.  The other one did the long black fancy dress.  

• Love 1

I'm so bummed Jesse went home!  I love his back story and he seems like a great kid.  Unfortunately, the producers love Matt because he's so outgoing and chatty, so they are bending over backwards to keep him.  I would have sent Jaxon home, not Jesse.  His construction is awful and his design ideas don't translate into real life. But he's another chatty Kathy, so the producers are going to keep him over Jesse.  Ugh!  

I love Zachary's design.  Yes, it's a bit dramatic, but it was unique and he always turns out good designs.

Peytie surprised me.  I usually don't like her aesthetic, but she's really stepping up her game.  I thought that print was hideous on the roll.  She made it work well.

Surprised Zach didn't get called out for using sofa upholstery fabric, but the design was good.  The floral was hideous, but the design saved it.

Matt's dress did not fit the challenge description.  How is a ball gown "travel"?

I'm fine with goth chick going home.  She did the same thing every week.

Maya:  I totally would want to wear that jacket.  Loved, loved, loved it!  I wish she would have won.  I can't believe she's the youngest designer.  Can you imagine how much better she'll be as she matures?  Looking forward to following her career down the road.  She is so creative.

• Love 2

I know this is shallow and very bad. Please forgive me.  I have children this age. 

Victoria.  I would say this if you were my daughter.  You are lovely.  Please cut bangs.  Your hair line is low.  Very low.  A center part only serves to accent that.  Not a good look.  Bangs, please.  Bangs.  Do it.  Do it now.  

• Love 1

I know this is shallow and very bad. Please forgive me.  I have children this age. 

Victoria.  I would say this if you were my daughter.  You are lovely.  Please cut bangs.  Your hair line is low.  Very low.  A center part only serves to accent that.  Not a good look.  Bangs, please.  Bangs.  Do it.  Do it now.  

I didn't really notice her hair, except that it was quite thick and pretty.  She could pull off bangs if you really want her to.  It would still fit in with her faux "punk" design aesthetic.  Oh, how it cracks me up that teens these days think they are "punk" because they steal ideas from Alexander McQueen and the internet.  No originality whatsoever, which is sort of the antithesis of punk.  Victoria, if you want to be a true punk, do something counterculture and nonconformist, don't copy the past!  Trust me on this one!

Katie won, yeah! Maya is something! I can't believe she just turned 14. It was interesting the camera panned to Tim Gunn when speaking about Victoria. He didn't offer that he designed her outfit for her. I agree she was a seamstress, not a designer, this episode. Hated to see Jessie go. As usual, these kids have more maturity than PR adults.

Peytie

• Love 1

Can't believe they let Jessi go.  I can see the judging on this show will be as fucked up as the adult one.

I have to say I love these two quotes:

The modern girl is supposed to have 80% basics and 20% fluff in her closet, like the new rule I guess. - Zachary, to a dumbfounded Tim Gunn

It looks like he's designing for like Neil Armstrong's like drag persona or something. - Matt

• Love 1

I am continuing to be amazed at the talent and creativity of these young contestants.  (Especially after the last season of PR regular.)  

Is it just that they are fearless and have that level of self-confidence that only youth can have?  Or, are they really just more talented?  

They all seem to have excellent skills, and their ideas, while maybe not super innovative, are well thought-out and fun to watch while walking the runway.  

Zachary's dress was gorgous, and I loved both Peytie's and Maya's looks.  

I didn't like the silver thing that Jaxson made (reminded me of the "ladies of wrestling" challenge several season ago), so I thought that Jesse should have stayed over Jaxson.  Victoria's (is that her name) outift was okay, but I definitely didn't get "school" from it...don't know what school she goes to, but around here, if a girl wore that she would have been sent home to change.  

EDITED:  to correct names - I still can't figure them all out!!  

Thank you, njbeachlover….I am also amazed by the talent here….This whole contrivance of a show is so much more interesting than this last season of Project Runway.  I just commented in the Tim Gunn forum, but I'm just so delighted to see Tim Gunn back in full form as a mentor….But I'm disappointed that right now I'm realizing that purple haired Barney wannabe Kelly Osborne is on the panel….Oh well, can't have everything..