Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

14 hours ago, auntjess said:

Hasn't Elena been living in a group home, for a while? 

Unless something changed over the course of the show, yes, she lives in a group home.  When her parents moved, she stopped coming over to visit regularly like she had been, because it bothered her to come to a different house.  Hopefully that isn't much of an issue for her anymore, since so much else has improved.

6 hours ago, Eureka said:

Doesn’t he work out of the country most of the time?

Yep; they have a commuter marriage, and Hiromi feels limited in her ability to go to him for extended periods of time because of Elena. 

• Love 1
On 8/16/2018 at 2:42 PM, Bastet said:

I think Megan is going to be a difficult roommate and Cristina a difficult wife.  But there's hope for Cristina to learn, practice, and grow.  Megan, I'm not sure.  Poor Rachel deserves better, that's for sure; if Cristina wasn't going to be living with Angel, I think she and Rachel would have been a much better roommate pairing.

Did Cristina call Megan "the prettiest one" or something like that when handing out bridesmaid invitations -- right in front of Rachel and Elena?

I would give Megan + Rachel slightly better odds than Sean + Steven, which had a -10% chance of working from the beginning. Sean is too immature and inconsiderate to live with anyone but mom and dad. I know they just threw S&S together for the show, but it was obviously unworkable. Megan is a bit more agreeable, but I think the burden of running the household will fall on Rachel, and that will spell the end of the roomie thing.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, curlytoes79 said:

Megan is a bit more agreeable, but I think the burden of running the household will fall on Rachel, and that will spell the end of the roomie thing.

Can you imagine? From previous episodes it appeared that Megan could not even do her own laundry, so poor Rachel will probably do it out of kindness and end up the Cinderella of the household.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

I get it for storyline purposes, but Megan would bring absolutely nothing to the table as a roommate. 

You wouldn't do laundry and cooking, in return for being declaimed at, at the drop of a hat?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, curlytoes79 said:

Megan is a bit more agreeable, but I think the burden of running the household will fall on Rachel, and that will spell the end of the roomie thing.

I agree; Rachel has something of a caregiver-type personality, but I think she'll quickly find she enjoys emotional nurturing, but the novelty of taking care of someone's practical needs wears off.

While Steven and Sean's stint as roomies was very clearly just a one-off to get footage for the show, I wonder about Rachel and Megan.  Because I think Rachel could, for real, live with a DS roommate and someone to help them both (like the guys had).  And Megan would think she could, too.  And Kris, well, Kris seems to know what her daughter is and isn't capable of, but also to deny it sometimes as an unrealistic extension of the "don't limit me" thing.  If not for the show, I wonder if Rachel's parents would allow this.

• Love 4

Rachel & Steven could/should try the roommate arrangement! 

1.) They’re both much more likely to be mostly self sufficient than partnering with Sean/Megan, and their communication skills are a lot better when it comes to expressing their needs & concerns 

2.) They could each see a taste of what its like to live with someone of the opposite gender, without the romantic attachments, since they’ve both expressed interest in someday being married and “on their own.”

3.) Both Steven’s & Rachel’s parents seem to be supportive of them living more independently, but have understandable concerns about the practicalities & limitations involved 

• Love 10
17 hours ago, asemumma said:

Rachel & Steven could/should try the roommate arrangement! 

1.) They’re both much more likely to be mostly self sufficient than partnering with Sean/Megan, and their communication skills are a lot better when it comes to expressing their needs & concerns 

2.) They could each see a taste of what its like to live with someone of the opposite gender, without the romantic attachments, since they’ve both expressed interest in someday being married and “on their own.”

3.) Both Steven’s & Rachel’s parents seem to be supportive of them living more independently, but have understandable concerns about the practicalities & limitations involved 

I don't know how the parents would feel about an opposite-sex roommate. Rachel and Steven don't seem romantically interested in each other, but I could see Rachel falling for Steve over time and being hurt if he doesn't return her interest. That could make a roomie situation awkward. It might be even more concerning if they did get romantically involved - suddenly they're co-habitating. There are landmines there that the parents would probably prefer to sidestep.

I do think they are the two most high-functioning and independent of the group - along with Elena - and I'm not sure why they don't seem to be closer friends. Maybe different personalities/interests.

Edited by curlytoes79
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, curlytoes79 said:

I do think they are the two most high-functioning and independent of the group - along with Elena - and I'm not sure why they don't seem to be closer friends. Maybe different personalities/interests.

I think Rachel has felt that Megan has some kind of "dibs" on Steven, and wouldn't poach.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I think Rachel has felt that Megan has some kind of "dibs" on Steven, and wouldn't poach.

And that just irks me.  Rachel has somehow convinced herself Megan is above her in looks and coolness and more deserving of male attention. This whole show sets Megan up as some sort of Rockstar and she just aint that. 

• Love 19
On 8/19/2018 at 8:15 PM, auntjess said:

Hasn't Elena been living in a group home, for a while?  We saw that several seasons ago, when they moved, and she was upset at a new house.
It seems that the show may have helped Hiromi, and their relationship.

Plus Elena is/has been going to anger management and is now on medication. She no longer seems to fly into rages.

• Love 4

I liked hearing a little more about Angel. I’ve been curious about his disability and I think in a lot of ways he’s more ready to be married than Cristina. I just hope she doesn’t steamroll over anything/everything he wants that she doesn’t want. 

• Love 5

Someone  snuck  into my kitchen  and chopped  onions when Rachel's parents  were reading  the letter  she wrote .  Off topic for a moment  is anyone  watching  the show that comes on after this?

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Someone  snuck  into my kitchen  and chopped  onions when Rachel's parents  were reading  the letter  she wrote .  Off topic for a moment  us anyone  watching  the show that comes on after this?

Right? That letter was so touching. I love Rachel and her family!

I tried watching the Tourette’s syndrome show and couldn’t get into it.

• Love 3

I'm watching the tourettes show, but it doesn't have a topic here yet.   
Back to Born This Way, if every child who is developmentally delayed had parents like Gary and Laurie, this would be a wonderful world.  Rachel was born into the right family, a family that has given her love, support, understanding, and helped her to gain independence and maturity.  I love her parents.

• Love 13

Sean's cluelessness was on full display when he asked Angel if he likes Cristina.  IMO, Cristina is not ready to get married.  Whenever Angel expresses an opinion, she either shuts down or tells him to move on.  Sadly, she started out as one of my favorites, but I'm not so fond of her anymore.

Steven and Elena's parents are struggling with something a lot of parents struggle with.  They don't get to just move on with their lives in retirement because their adult children are still at least semi-dependent on them.  It's something people who don't have a child with a disability often just don't understand.

I wish Rachel's brother and BIL had been on the trip to Vegas.  Miss seeing them.

Edited by camom
  • Love 8

Oh geez, did anyone besides me get a strong vibe that Megan’s new business  “mentor” could also be her mother Kris’ special friend?  It was nothing blatently obvious - just a feeling I got.  Megan all of the sudden having all these unbelievable opportunities come to her (TV/radio show guest spots, a business partnership with HELLO KITTY?)/ That’s pretty big league for a girl who does ice tie dye for in buckets in her garage.

• Love 7

I was rewatching the early seasons the week before the show came back on and the growth in Elena and Rachel in particular, just amazes me.

Hearing her so confidently say today that if her mom and dad wanted to live together in Japan or Australia that she's ok with that because she's ok with a group home and that "I'm happy with MY life.  I'm full with MY dreams!" is just incredible!

Her mom has said online she's moving early next year, so it'll be interesting to see if they really decide to go without her and how it goes, etc. (Assuming the show continues to film obviously)

Similarly for Rachel, when she was in the house talking about she couldn't have been able to do this before but was so sure she was ready now was such a change. Whereas earlier so many little things overwhelmed her, to see her so confident she'd be fine on her own is just awesome!

Seeing the growth of all of them has really been remarkable, but it seems most notable in Elena and Rachel, and this episode really highlighted such growth in both of them all over again.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Eureka said:

I liked hearing a little more about Angel.

I liked hearing more about his grandparents, and find myself curious for even more.  His grandma referenced raising Angel's brothers as well as him, and before that, their own kids (plural).  So did one of their kids have several kids she (I think they said "she" in relation to Angel) can't properly care for and they took them all on, or did they wind up taking primary responsibility for the offspring of more than of their kids?  Probably the former, but I'm curious.  

I was only paying partial attention, so this may have been addressed and I missed it, but how did Rachel meet Frank?  Because he looks familiar, so I'm wondering if he was the guy she "met" (it was so clearly staged, but whatever) at that walk Rachel and her mom did.  I don't know where else I would have seen him but on this show.

I love that Rachel knows turning 35 makes her eligible to be president.  How many "typical" people don't know that?!

Clearly Cristina and Angel are getting much of their wedding comped, given all the name checking over the last couple of episodes, but, hey, good for them - far worse people have sold themselves for the same thing.

I miss the first season of this show, when it was a proper documentary series.  By now it does still occasionally teach us something about living with DS or raising someone who is, but it's just mostly manufactured crap that wouldn't happen without the show.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Someone  snuck  into my kitchen  and chopped  onions when Rachel's parents  were reading  the letter  she wrote .  Off topic for a moment  is anyone  watching  the show that comes on after this?

I am and I just requested a new topic to discuss. Those onions were chopped in my kitchen, too. Darn sneaky kitchen elves.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, camom said:

Sean's cluelessness was on full display when he asked Angel if he likes Cristina.  IMO, Cristina is not ready to get married.  Whenever Angel expresses an opinion, she either shuts down or tells him to move on.  Sadly, she started out as one of my favorites, but I'm not so fond of her anymore.

Steven and Elena's parents are struggling with something a lot of parents struggle with.  They don't get to just move on with their lives in retirement because their adult children are still at least semi-dependent on them.  It's something people who don't have a child with a disability often just don't understand.

I wish Rachel's brother and BIL had been on the trip to Vegas.  Miss seeing them.

I like that the friend of Hiromi pointed out that it's good to try to separate while they are still alive and can be a distant support and see how Elena does, rather than Elena being basically thrown into the deep end when they die. It doesn't sound like they have other children to watch out for her. Elena seems the most self-sufficient in that she says she can handle being in a different country if she's in a group home. She's been in one for years and feels comfortable with it. I think she'll do okay when they pass. She's come so far in the past few years. 

Off topic, I have son on the spectrum, high functioning and I'm unsure if he'll ever be totally on his own. It scares me. Although I have another child, she doesn't seem interested in being his support. She's more interested in her in-laws. Hopefully, it changes. 

Rachel's birthday was awesome. Her friend was very sweet to make a drink that incorporated her family heritage. And getting her dad out of his comfort zone showed her that no matter how old you are and what your fear is, you can overcome it. She has the sweetest parents. 

I did feel bad for Kris. She knows Megan won't be okay on her own, but, she's willing to let her try. That scripted "overstock.com" scene at the end scared me. I hope they don't really have credit cards that let them order anything they want. I understand they need to be able to manage money, but, it seems with those choices they can't yet. Pillows are understandable. A hot tub is not!

• Love 14
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes, I watched the first one but need to catch up on the second one after work. Shows that come on at 10 p.m. are too late for me!! And Rachel and her parents ROCK!

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I liked hearing more about his grandparents, and find myself curious for even more.  His grandma referenced raising Angel's brothers as well as him, and before that, their own kids (plural).  So did one of their kids have several kids she (I think they said "she" in relation to Angel) can't properly care for and they took them all on, or did they wind up taking primary responsibility for the offspring of more than of their kids?  Probably the former, but I'm curious.  

If they got married at 18 and 20, they are 65 and 67 now. Angel is 26 which means probably their daughter had him as a teen, if I am doing my math right. 

10 hours ago, camom said:

Cristina's stone-walling reminds me of Sean saying "end of discussion" when he wants something and will brook no opposition. It's a red flag but I'm hoping she can learn to be more flexible. I think ongoing marriage counseling would be good for them, help her stop being so uptight.

I really do wish the best for all of them, even Sean, whom I like the least. Everything they try to do - whether it's help run a business or move out or get married - is like 20x more complicated than it would be for a neurotypical person. Everything is a struggle. I hope they all find some success and independence in life.

• Love 10

I loved watching Rachel's birthday in Vegas with Frank. And the gifts he gave her, in particular the speech book where he pointed out which speech was his favorite. She is most certainly my favorite.

• Love 14

I'm wondering how real the house sharing of Rachel and Megan is.  I find it hard to believe that they could move into that home, fully furnished, in southern California, that is nicer than either of their parents' homes.  An apartment or condo would be much more logical.  Yes, they get money from the show, but it likely isn't enough to sustain that home for long.  They only get paid on the days they actually are filming and there are no residuals for reality TV.  It just didn't seem too realistic to me.  

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, camom said:

I'm wondering how real the house sharing of Rachel and Megan is.  I find it hard to believe that they could move into that home, fully furnished, in southern California, that is nicer than either of their parents' homes.  An apartment or condo would be much more logical.  Yes, they get money from the show, but it likely isn't enough to sustain that home for long.  They only get paid on the days they actually are filming and there are no residuals for reality TV.  It just didn't seem too realistic to me.  

I think Kris said it was a trial. I’m assuming it’s an AirBnB like Steven and Sean’s was. Maybe afterwards Rachel moved/will move into someplace similar to where Cristina is? I felt bad for Megan’s panic when she realized her mom was leaving.

• Love 7

This is a sensitive topic, and IN NO WAY am I suggesting that it would be desirable or appropriate to put in the show.  But since the show has made reference to Christina's fear of sexual intimacy before (an understandable knee jerk reaction to what was likely well-intentioned and important-for-her-safety warnings from her parents in the past), I can't help but think about this subject when the show is flogging wedding wedding wedding and they're choosing which side of the bed they'll sleep on.  

I don't know if she grasps sexuality within marriage, whether she realizes Angel expects it (he seems to, given all the bed flopping and innuendo), or what's going to happen in that department.  It's none of our business, of course, but I hope there's some kind of third party professional counseling going on arranged by both sets of parents, because these are adults with hormones and natural sex drives, she has demonstrated panicked reactivity to sexual situations, and ... I don't want anybody to get hurt.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Neeners said:

I loved watching Rachel's birthday in Vegas with Frank. And the gifts he gave her, in particular the speech book where he pointed out which speech was his favorite. She is most certainly my favorite.

I loved him! He'd be a great match for Rachel, and his functioning seems to be more or less on her level. I wonder if he came up with that "Rachel" drink himself. If so - way to get in with the parents, Frank. lol

Edited by curlytoes79
  • Love 6

I don't think Kristina and angel should get married. She seems terrified by the thought and if she is talking about she wants to date other people and she flirts with other men but gets upset when angel so much as talks to another women.. She's just not ready. I hope she's not being pressured by society or her parents for a step she just isn't emotionally mature enough to take right now. I don't see the harm in letting her and angel date without pushing the wife crap. It's not going to end well. I don't care much for Megan but I felt so bad for her when she realized her mom wasn't going to be there. 

• Love 5

I know this is not totally "reality" but I wish we could get a more honest edit for Megan. I know she's been set up to be the star of the show but are we really supposed to believe she's taking business meetings about Megology when the concept of math is a struggle for her? I would prefer to see more realness from this show. We know Megan isn't a suitable roommate so why not have Rachel and Elena set up in the Airbnb while showing Megan brush up on independent living skills. I don't think there's any shame in showing us where Megan really is developmentally.

• Love 20
39 minutes ago, kira28 said:

I don't care much for Megan but I felt so bad for her when she realized her mom wasn't going to be there. 

That scene where she came running after her mom brought tears to my eyes, and then when they signed their love.....OMG. That scene and the one with Rachel's letter were very emotional.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

I did feel bad for Kris. She knows Megan won't be okay on her own, but, she's willing to let her try.

I can't feel bad for her, because she's brought it all on herself.  She's the one who encouraged Meg with being a TV producer, and having megology as a viable way to support herself, instead of teaching her to make change, shop, and do laundry.

21 hours ago, camom said:

IMO, Cristina is not ready to get married.  Whenever Angel expresses an opinion, she either shuts down or tells him to move on.

So true.  She's controlling.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

We know Megan isn't a suitable roommate so why not have Rachel and Elena set up in the Airbnb while showing Megan brush up on independent living skills.

From what she said, I think Elena is happy in her group home.  I wonder how much independence she gets there, and if Rachel would like one too.
I was surprised that her folks were talking of moving to Japan, though.  A very long way.  Does Elena have a brother?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I was surprised that her folks were talking of moving to Japan, though.  A very long way.

But that's what they've always wanted, and put off for many years because of Elena - to live together in Japan again.  If I'm remembering their story correctly, that's where they met, married, lived, and initially raised Elena; it's where her mom is from and where her dad's business is based.  I have no idea what prenatal screening is like there, or remember their part of the "did you have the test?" discussion during season one or two, to know whether they went into this knowing they'd have a child with DS, but at some point they moved to (Dad's native country) Australia for better care and less cultural stigma and then at some other point to the U.S. 

They've had a commuter marriage all these years as a result, and I don't see anything wrong with them wanting to - if Elena, given her happiness in the group home, her dramatically-increased control over her mental health issues due to finally getting the medication and talk therapy she needs, and the family's resources to fly around the world to visit her/have her visit them, won't be unreasonably affected by it - live a life that still prioritizes Elena but doesn't completely revolve around her. 

It's an interesting question regarding any of them -- If they had the amnio and learned what was ahead or had access to but declined the test out of some "whatever the fetus's condition, I'm going forward" mindset, and thus knew their future child would or could need life-long care, what degree of responsibility does that confer?  To make sure appropriate care is provided, certainly.  But to physically provide that daily care?  To pressure or even just ask any "typical" siblings to take over when the parent(s) can no longer do so?  Where is the line drawn?  There is no one answer, and it's one of the ways in which the story of Elena and her family interests me.

• Love 6

You are right about Elena's story.  There was a lot of stigma in Japan, which is why they left.  Her parents have had a "commuter marriage" for years and years.  

I think Megan would do well in a group home.  She would feel independent (not living with mom), would need to learn compromise and how to live with others, and she would be taught independent living skills (cooking, laundry, etc.).

• Love 11

A few episodes ago when Rachel and Megan were walking the dog and Rachel asked  Megan if she’d like to be roommates didn’t Megan initially say something horrible in response to that idea but Rachel didn’t catch it? 

I think Megan really thinks she’s a diva in real life.  

• Love 1

A few episodes ago when Rachel and Megan were walking the dog and Rachel asked  Megan if she’d like to be roommates didn’t Megan initially say something horrible in response to that idea but Rachel didn’t catch it? 

I just re-watched that scene and Megan didn't say anything bad.  She pointed out that Rachel had never had a roommate before (which seems kind of silly, since she's always lived with her family) and said that her mom wasn't ready to let her go.

I'm still an episode behind, but I loved hearing more about Angel and his background.  I thought I heard his grandmother say what type of disability he has, but I didn't catch the whole name.  Christina seems very sweet, but she also very controlling (at least on camera).  I do wish them the best for a happy future.

I'm waiting for the producers to add a tagline to the show.  'Born This Way:  The Megan Show'.  I can only handle her in small doses at this point.  I would love a standing date each week to grab a Starbucks with Rachel.  She is such a breath of fresh air.  Her saying she was helping her dad get over his fear of roller coasters was just too much.  Frank is an amazing young man, and I would love to see more of him.  I'm already going to hell from posts on the Duggar forum, so we'll just add this to my list of offenses.  Bring Frank in for the show and ixnay Sean.  His womanizing ways are not cute and will land him in some big trouble he won't be able to get out of.  It's just a matter of time.

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, sixlets said:

I'm still an episode behind, but I loved hearing more about Angel and his background.  I thought I heard his grandmother say what type of disability he has, but I didn't catch the whole name.  Christina seems very sweet, but she also very controlling (at least on camera).  I do wish them the best for a happy future.

I'm waiting for the producers to add a tagline to the show.  'Born This Way:  The Megan Show'.  I can only handle her in small doses at this point.  I would love a standing date each week to grab a Starbucks with Rachel.  She is such a breath of fresh air.  Her saying she was helping her dad get over his fear of roller coasters was just too much.  Frank is an amazing young man, and I would love to see more of him.  I'm already going to hell from posts on the Duggar forum, so we'll just add this to my list of offenses.  Bring Frank in for the show and ixnay Sean.  His womanizing ways are not cute and will land him in some big trouble he won't be able to get out of.  It's just a matter of time.

He has Dubowitz syndrome. I don’t know how to hyperlink text with my iPad but it’s here. https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/dubowitz-syndrome/

Edited by Eureka
  • Love 1

I remember looking at Meghan's website when the show first came out and I thought the prices were too much for the product.  I think if it wasn't for the show, she definitely would not be getting all these opportunities.  Lets be honest, Sanrio sees some good PR in partnering with her, not because its a great product.  BTW, I was just in California and we stayed right by  the Sanrio offices - LOL!  It was fun seeing it on TV.

I wasn't surprised that Meghan panicked when her mom left. She talks a lot about being independent and her mom being clingy but she is not independent at all.  I remember on the cruise ship Kris said she shaved Meghan's legs for her.

Does Kris have any communication with her parents?  I recall she said she left home at 18 or so and it looks like its just her and Meghan.   According to Kris, Meghan's dad is not involved and she doesn't know her half siblings.  I wonder how true that is.  Kris strikes me as someone who can bend the truth to suit her story.  He did come on the show for an episode in season 2 I think probably to try and portray a different image.   I feel bad for talking s**t about Kris and Meghan but the diva behavior really irks me.

I love Rachel and her mom!  They are both awesome.  What happened to the guy Rachel started dating at the end of last season?  I saw some pics of him on her Facebook page but there has been no mention of him at all this season.

• Love 9

Eureka-thanks so much for the link.  It was a very interesting read.  I am fascinated with rare illnesses and the heredity that is at play.  I've always liked Angel, and he seems like such a great guy.  His grandparents should be proud of the job they have done in regards to raising him.

• Love 4

I don't like the name of Sean's business. I mentioned that on Twitter and was sent an article explaining how it got its name. It wasn't like it was particle physics - I figured out the connection when they first mentioned it last season, so that didn't win me over. I'm not altogether fond of the name Megology either, so I thought maybe I just disliked name themed businesses. Then I admitted to myself that I don't much like Sean or Megan so that might be why I find their business names irritating. House of Rachel or Elenagance probably wouldn't bother me so much. Yes, I am a horrible person apparently.  

I loved that they went to self-defense! I think they need to add that to PE requirements because it's more useful than skipping. It would be great in middle school and high school. Rachel is really blossoming living more independently.

• Love 8

Ha – I’m watching last week’s episode right now, and I know the Drag Queen Bingo they’re going to.  A friend of a friend performs, and I’ve gone a couple of times to their monthly event at a bar local to my friend.  This was a small benefit for the place Elena works, done for the show, but some of the usual performers were there.

From that same episode:

Why is Megan pulling clothes (ostensibly in her existing home to pack for her new home) out of a utility closet?  The breaker box is in there!  That is some seriously faked location footage.

I cannot with Sean’s hair.  (I cannot with Sean, period, and the hair is far from the most offensive thing about him, but that hair just makes him particularly bothersome to watch.)

Mariano being taken aback that Rachel is 35, Rachel’s dad saying, “Well, I’m, like 90,” and Mariano responding, “Yeah, but you look it, she doesn’t” was some hilarious ribbing.

So how long is this “trial period” and “experiment” of Rachel and Megan living together lasting – a long weekend like Sean and Steven?  I really miss season one, when this was more documentary series than reality show.  However short-term, the parents handling the good-byes, the kids hugging and giggling after shutting the door behind them, and then Megan needing to run out and give Kris another hug really tugged at the old heartstrings.  As did Rachel’s letter.  I hope she really wrote that without prodding, but the repetition of “you guys” makes me think she did.

I’m surprised Rachel hasn’t yet mastered making the bed.  That seems like a skill she’d have been displaying at home for a while.  I’m not surprised, however, to see Megan doesn’t know how to deal with batteries – but she got it.  And putting a pillow in a pillow case is a much more basic skill, especially for someone as relatively advanced as Rachel.

Elena being happy in her own life, at the group home, and not begrudging her parents wanting to live together full-time if that means in another country, is nice.  As is Steven knowing he can’t afford his parents’ L.A. house if they move to Iowa.

Cristina is a wonderful friend, daughter, and overall person, but she’s a handful as a girlfriend/fiancée, and that’s only going to get worse as a wife.  And Angel is no, well, angel, either, of course.  The parents and grandparents are going to need to continue to talk with them about what such a relationship should be, but if anyone is up for that ongoing task, I think it’s them.  It amuses me that Angel’s grandma is a little wary of Cristina, yet she works to trust her fundamental goodness and genuine love for Angel and thus support all this.

• Love 9

The differences between Rachel and Megan really showed up tonight.  Rachel getting herself ready, very methodically, and going to work.  Megan ignoring her mom's calls, watching TV, going back to bed and acting like such a diva.  Then Megan talking Rachel out of the girls party she wanted.  Why couldn't they have two parties?  I did love that Rachel didn't want the boys because they bring the drama.  LOL  Liked that Rachel had her dad over for dinner.  Interesting that he talked about when she moves back home, confirming that this living arrangement is temporary.  I was also impressed that she spent so much time working on the ravioli and stayed calm; no breakdown.  I doubt most of the others could have done that without a meltdown or giving up.  I can see Rachel improving her independent living skills and moving out on her own (with support).  She has the desire and the ability.  Good for her parents to allow her to grow.  I don't think Megan will ever really be as independent as Rachel.

Sean's business obviously isn't really his business, but his mother's.  Supporting your kids is one thing, doing all the work is another.  Yes, he was working the crowd at the pop up shop, but I doubt he could make a sale on his own.  And I'm pretty sure that if the show ended tomorrow, girlfriend Caley would be outta there.

Amy, people aren't looking at Rocco because of Down syndrome.  They're just trying to figure out if he's a girl or a boy.  I was pretty impressed with his reading, though.  

It looked like they all enjoyed family game night.  It's fun to see everyone laughing and having a good time.  So many things about having a child with a disability are serious, it's nice to be able to forget all that for a while.

The self defense class was a good idea.   People with disabilities are abused (sexually and otherwise) much more than the general population.  People with Down syndrome also tend to be very trusting.

John's sister Christina said it best -- the theory of driving is very different than actually driving, which Steven seems to comprehend.  I think Steven and John might both be able to pass the written test, but actually driving is altogether different.  Steven has a better chance than John, IMHO.

• Love 17

Another re-run, but new to me, I think the episode prior to the most recent one:

Oh crap, Rocco is back.  But, then, okay, good.  It has always been a thing where, in theory, I like the inclusion of a family dealing with the education and similar rights issues the parents of adult children with DS navigated long before we the audience came along, but these folks just bug.  But tonight I liked what his mom relating of their experiences added to the show.  And I loved Laurie, talking about the need to correct the behavior of a kid with DS rather than just excusing it.  It was also interesting to hear her and Kris talk about how a kid with DS ever living in anything other than the family home or an institution wasn’t a realistic thought in their day.  I also - since I hate the "Don't Limit Me" crap (we're all limited, by various factors) - liked Kris's take on encouraging a "version of success" when a kid expresses an unrealistic goal.  If only she practiced what she preaches.

Typical – Rachel wants to have a “girl’s night,” and Megan wants to include guys.  But I do agree if this was real, their first house-warming would better be open to everyone, and then have the women over next time.

Who the hell are the two idiots who bought the Sean blanket or whatever that monstrosity was?  And here we go again with Sean’s parents – who are the biggest part of his problem – treating something obnoxious, and sexist, as cute; “Burrito, Beer, Babes.”  Bugger off.  And, of course, all his "what I want in a girlfriend" requirements are all about him.

Kris comes up in Megan’s phone as Diva Mom Drama Queen and Laurie comes up in Rachel’s as Laurie.  Heh.  But is it any wonder Kris is frightened?  If she had a typical child to whom she couldn’t talk sense and acted this way, would it be received the same as her reaction to an overgrown toddler of an adult doing the same things?  Unlike the other parents on this show, Kris had Megan young and raised her alone.  That’s not an all-out pass, but I do cut her some slack as a result.

“Who’s paying for all this [wedding]?”  The show.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7