Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

32 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

I’m not sure when the onion processing factory opened up next door, but when Mariano lifted Cristina’s veil and kissed her on her forehead before leading her down the aisle . . . oh my. 

So one opened in your area  also? I wished they would  have told us  they would  be working  late tonight . 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So one opened in your area  also? I wished they would  have told us  they would  be working  late tonight . 

I know, right?!  I could tell you that this was the last time I cried during this episode, but I would be lying.  I thought that every single aspect of the ceremony was absolutely beautiful.  In an age when every other reality TV family is trying to out-trash each other, her family is a delight.  Angel’s grandparents also seem like lovely people.  When his grandma pulled out her dad’s cufflinks, well, let’s just say it was a five Kleenex night.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Jumping Jesus, enough with regarding getting married as the be all end all of a woman living a "normal" life.  And I wish they’d both walked her down the aisle; Cristina isn’t the kind of bride who’s going to walk herself down the aisle, but having both parents like Mariano suggested would have been nice. 

Those awful bridesmaid dresses weren't any more attractive on film than in pictures, but I love that Rachel got to look nice in a different dress.

With those things out of the way*, this - from what I saw, which was only the second hour - was nice.  I’m glad Angel’s mom is in his life, even though she’s not the one who raised him.  It was nice to see her. 

And John’s reaction to seeing Cristina in her dress was sweet.

I love Elena running down the aisle in rehearsal, and her “don’t let me trip” deep breaths during the ceremony.  And Angel’s “I got this” pep talk to himself at the altar.

My favorite was Rachel's speech. 

Do we think John has any idea what catching the garter means, or that he just wanted to be the winner, heh?  Because he didn't say anything about wanting to be married, nor can I imagine that being something he wants.

They said their last names earlier, so it's not like this was altered for privacy -- when they were introduced for their first dance, it wasn't as Mr. and Mrs. [Angel's last name], but as Angel and Cristina.  If she didn't change her name, I'm impressed.  (They did sign the actual legal document, right, not just the church thing -- this is a legal marriage, in which changing her last name was an option?)

*Okay, one more thing -- is anyone surprised Rocco has been conditioned to bow and wait for applause after every fucking thing he does?  I'm surprised he didn't do it during the actual ceremony.

I didn’t change my name when I got married and the justice of the peace announces us just by first names. She might have changed her name personally but not professionally.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:22 AM, Robertmc said:

I conversated with Sandra ( Sean’s Mom) today and so far she hasn’t heard anything about a series renewal. 

Well they had better because I want to know how the marriage is going :)

• Love 7

I read they went to Spain for their honeymoon. I'm curious if they were able to travel alone internationally, or, as I'm guessing, her parents went with them to help them navigate the travel. I know her family is there and she has spent summers there, however, that's a bit different than travelling there on your own, even for neurotypical people.

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure that Cristina's family makes an annual trip to Spain.  This year it doubled as the honeymoon for Cristina and Angel.

I wish both parents had walked Cristina down the aisle, too.  I'm a pretty traditional person, but I love it when both parents walk the bride and/or groom down the aisle. 

What they signed was definitely not a state marriage certificate.

Totally shallow, but Kris's boyfriend is very good looking!

Edited by camom
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

I’m not sure when the onion processing factory opened up next door, but when Mariano lifted Cristina’s veil and kissed her on her forehead before leading her down the aisle . . . oh my. 

My tears welled up more than once during this episode. I watch several wedding reality series, and this was by far my favorite wedding ever. Of course, I realize we “know” these people better, and the show spent quite a long time on the wedding, but the love all around was just palatable, and everything was so heartfelt. Sigh.

Edited by Love2dance
fixed word
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, camom said:

I'm pretty sure that Cristina's family makes an annual trip to Spain.  This year it doubled as the honeymoon for Cristina and Angel.

I wish both parents had walked Cristina down the aisle, too.  I'm a pretty traditional person, but I love it when both parents walk the bride and/or groom down the aisle. 

Yeah, their pastor, Carlos, even specified it was a reminder of the covenant that they made before God.

In one of the articles I saw about the wedding last week Cristina mentioned the girls becoming her best friends as a result of the show and wanting them in the wedding, it was interesting to me that despite what the pictures had seemed to try to convey in the articles, etc. that while she did have the girls stand up for her, Angel had two other guys plus one of her brothers. It makes me hopeful that they really did have the freedom to choose whomever they wanted.

This really was a sweet wedding episode and so much better done than the many other televised weddings on other networks!

While the first season is still my favorite because it was much more 'raw' I really do enjoy this show and am going to be sad if it doesn't come back as seems may be the case, especially since I'd love to see how they all continue to progress with Rachel wanting to move out, Elena's family moving in a few months and her remaining here, etc.

Edited by onatrek
  • Love 8

i'm sick with a cold and sinus pain. i did everything in my power to avoid crying as it would make my pain worse, but, gosh darn the love between those two and the support and love of their families was too much.  

i'm not suprised that rachel thought solely of cristina and angel, elena was anxious and megan thought only of herself. hearing rachel tell cristina that she thought of her as a sister was so heartwarming. neither of them have sisters and you can tell this friendship is pure. 

bea and mariano are truly wonderful people. they were in a new country with a special needs child alone and made it. they had not familial support, they had to find a new support system and they did. what a strong couple and they raised 3 beautiful children. seeing the boys help cristina make the calendar and having so much fun with her. that's a true family. god bless the sanz family.

angel's grandmother is a pure doll. she loves angel with every fiber of her being and you can see how hard it is for both of them to let him go, but, they must. i'm glad the mother/son dance was done with her and not his mother, who didn't raise him. 

those two have the best support system. i can see the marriage lasting. they will have trials and challenges, as we all do, but, they trust their parents and the guidance given to them. i can see them going to any one of the parents/grandparents and getting good advice that they will follow. 

they were married on a thursday. i found that a little odd. i'm glad so many people could come during the week. they were married one day after my 20th anniversary and the whole show i kept thinking 'was my anniversary on a friday' i was pretty sure it wasn't but didn't look it up until now. 

i was a bit mad that the hairdresser tore apart the flower that bea's mother brought over from spain from bea and mariano's wedding. i would think they'd want to keep in intact, but, bea seemed to let it go so i did. they are such an easy going couple, it's no wonder they have a great family.

how cute that the tie mariano wore at his wedding matched cristina's. it's so nice when things can connect like that. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, camom said:

I’m Jewish so both parents walked me down as is tradition. Dh is not Jewish but his parents did the same, which was a nice touch. That’s what I was thinking when they had that conversation. Yes, they want to not treat them differently, but it sounds like it was a village that got them where they are today and it would have been a nice moment. 

Wasn't what they signed a church certificate? Like a ketubah in Jewish weddings/marriages.

Edited by Eureka
  • Love 1

That wedding looked like so much fun!

I'm guessing that Angel and Cristina didn't have a legal marriage for financial reasons.  Unfortunately, it could interfere with their disability benefits.  I doubt Cristina is getting any benefits at this point (because of the show money), but Angel probably is and Cristina likely will again in the future.

I've been thinking about how these people will take it if the show is not renewed.  They will still be kind of a big deal in the DS world (Lauren Potter from "Glee" still gets invited as a celebrity to DS events), but they will miss the attention, filming, $$$, etc.  I think most of them will return to their normal lives fairly easily.  Megan and Kris will have the toughest time, I think.  And Rocco's parents.  

How is Kris supporting herself in California?  I don't see her making enough from the show to pay all the bills.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, camom said:

I'm guessing that Angel and Cristina didn't have a legal marriage for financial reasons.  

I agree on the wedding being a lot of fun and that is not legal.  I think for it might be a trial run so to speak to see how the two of them get along after they start living together. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.   Angel seems genuinely in love in Christina, while Christina cares for him but more so as a "dream" she has wanted to achieve. It just seems there is a limit due to Down Syndrome that they may not comprehend past a certain point.   To be clear I am not saying all DS people are the same, in fact I have learned that is seems to be a very complex and varied disability.      I didn't see Christina as bubbly and happy and she clearly said she wanted to date other people or Angel's grandmother would not of addressed it.  I believe Christina lied to her father because she did not want to upset him or have him be disappointed in her.

The only reason I bring any of this up is because last night the only time I saw Christina completely in love, relaxed and serenely happy was when she danced with her father at the end of the show. I thought it was a beautiful moment.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, camom said:

I'm guessing that Angel and Cristina didn't have a legal marriage for financial reasons.  Unfortunately, it could interfere with their disability benefits.  I doubt Cristina is getting any benefits at this point (because of the show money), but Angel probably is and Cristina likely will again in the future.

That's kind of upsetting if that's the case...they're not able to support themselves any better married than they were single. I can't remember if Angel works at all...but if he does, maybe his wages will count as income for Cristina too, if they are legally married?? 

This CAN'T be the last episode ever! :( I have to know how Angel and Cristina do as a married couple. Beautiful as it was, the wedding is small potatoes compared to the adjustments they'll have to make to live and work together. I am a little concerned about Cristina being a hard-nose and taking advantage of Angel's easygoing nature. I want reassurance that parents and grandparents and counselors are helping them get along to keep that from happening. 

• Love 4

Wait a second.  They are not legally married?  I thought they were.  I assume that they'll need support of some kind all their lives, even while living "independently" as a married (or "married") couple.  I guess it makes sense that they aren't legally married, if only for how it would impact their benefits. 

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Wait a second.  They are not legally married?  I thought they were.  I assume that they'll need support of some kind all their lives, even while living "independently" as a married (or "married" couple.  I guess it makes sense that they aren't legally married, if only for how it would impact their benefits. 

I don't think we know for a fact - someone noticed that the document they signed wasn't a state marriage certificate. Maybe they filled out the legal paperwork off camera, who knows? Or maybe they decided to keep their marriage "nonlegal" in order to protect their benefits. It's just hard to swallow after hearing Cristina's dad go on and on about how this wedding would be no different than for a daughter without DS, how everything would be typical, etc. I got caught up in his emotional soliloquies. If the marriage wasn't legal, I kinda feel lied to...

Ah, reality TV...you're a harsh mistress.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, camom said:

How is Kris supporting herself in California?  I don't see her making enough from the show to pay all the bills.

Maybe something from her ex?  Could he have to pay child support past 18, if a child is disabled?  Or maybe he set up something for Megan years ago.

2 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

I guess it makes sense that they aren't legally married, if only for how it would impact their benefits. 

And also that it would make Angel, rather than her parents, Cristina's next of kin (and vice versa), and you sure as hell don't want a situation where Cristina can't make her own medical decision and Angel has the right to override her parents' wishes and make the call himself. 

If they're not married, it's also far less hassle to go their separate ways or even just return to dating and living separately if it turns out living together is a disaster.

• Love 3

It's just hard to swallow after hearing Cristina's dad go on and on about how this wedding would be no different than for a daughter without DS, how everything would be typical, etc. I got caught up in his emotional soliloquies. If the marriage wasn't legal, I kinda feel lied to...

I agree.  The whole story about them being able to do anything and everything is kind of blown out of the water (I'm now convinced that it is not a legal marriage).  I think it would have been a great story line if they had admitted that it was a "commitment ceremony" and had gone into the reasons for that.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, camom said:

I agree.  The whole story about them being able to do anything and everything is kind of blown out of the water (I'm now convinced that it is not a legal marriage).  I think it would have been a great story line if they had admitted that it was a "commitment ceremony" and had gone into the reasons for that.

It'd be easy enough to look up for someone who is LA County to find out. My searching made it appear there may be a legal marriage, but without searching in person -or paying - (and I'm not in LA) I'm not positive.

Lots of neuro typical people don't legally marry for benefits reasons. 40 yrs ago my grandfather "remarried" but they didn't marry legally because both were drawing insurance and pension benefits from their late spouses. They presented as married and it was no less a marriage for not filing a form at town hall.

Lots of reality shows feature manufactured situations (this one included) but I have zero belief that Cristina's parents would perpetrate a farce, nor  consider this less binding than other marriages, even if they're  relieved it would ultimately be more easily dissoluble if it comes to that. 

• Love 2

Yeah. They’re aren’t legally married.  I didn’t want to press any further into the details after I found that out. 

Did we ever figure out how long Megan and Rachel lived   Together?    A week? 

On 9/5/2018 at 11:26 PM, Love2dance said:

I watch several wedding reality series, and this was by far my favorite wedding ever.

Mine too, and I don't like to watch weddings. (Participating in them is even worse)!  The look on Mariano's face when he saw Cristina in her dress was priceless. I had to turn my head so my girlfriend didn't see my watery eyes.

And Cristina WAS absolutely stunning. She was just beautiful. It was such a special day for her that she was radiant and lovely. Even if the marriage isn't "legal" as some have speculated, it's still legitimate and real to the bride and groom. Let them live their fantasy.

• Love 8

I have mixed emotions regarding this wedding.  Christina looked beautiful and she made a wonderful bride BUT I can't fully cheer on this wedding.  Not because of their disabilities but because I find Christina to be a more than a bit controlling.  I don't think Angel is equipped for standing up for himself against her. The way she steamrolls over his opinions is a little bothersome to me.  But like any couple, I'm sure they'll learn how to navigate their marriage. 

Since we're here and they are married, I would love a glimpse into their day to day married life.  Have we seen how Christina handles daily tasks?  We've seen the others struggle with making the bed or ordering Chinese food but I can't recall seeing any of Christina's abilities addressed.  We did see Angel learn to make pancakes which was cute. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Have we seen how Christina handles daily tasks?  We've seen the others struggle with making the bed or ordering Chinese food but I can't recall seeing any of Christina's abilities addressed.  We did see Angel learn to make pancakes which was cute. 

Before she moved into her apartment we saw her do laundry and something else relevant that I can't remember. They both went to life skills classes and we saw some of that.

• Love 1

I just got around to watching this episode last night and didn't realize it was the season finale. It came and went too soon.

That onion dicing elf was at my house too. Little devil.

If I had any doubt this wedding was TLC sponsored and paid for finding out that the cake alone cost $1500 sealed the deal. I love that John asks the prices of things and wonders who is paying for all this. LOL! 

As many times as I have seen undeserving reality star bridezilla's whining about what they think they 'rightfully' deserve on their big day, it was a pleasure seeing 2 lovely people (and their loving families) get such a lovely wedding paid for. Christina was gorgeous. Angel looked handsome. The wedding planners did a great job. I loved the venue/decor and thought it fit the tone of the festivities and personality of the happy couple. Everything just felt so heartfelt and joyful. Fave moment though was when the MC announced the guests can join on the dance floor and dance how everyone leapt onto the dance floor and started dancing with frenzy, especially Elena.

I thought all the mom's looked great. Especially loved that Elena's mom wore traditional Japanese garb.   

I want a Mariano of my very own!! He is too good to be true. 

Loved that Angel danced the mother dance with his grandmother. That poor woman must be exhausted raising all her daughter's children, special needs at that. 

On 9/6/2018 at 7:43 AM, ClareWalks said:

Rocco's mom looks so much like Shelley Duvall it freaks me out.

True. However, I am an avid It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia fan and she looks like the woman that played Maureen Ponderosa. So much so (+living in CA) that I had to look her up to confirm whether it was her or not. P.S. it isn't. A pic of the actress

xlbe01tiilf01.jpg

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dominii said:

Mine too, and I don't like to watch weddings. (Participating in them is even worse)!  The look on Mariano's face when he saw Cristina in her dress was priceless. I had to turn my head so my girlfriend didn't see my watery eyes.

And Cristina WAS absolutely stunning. She was just beautiful. It was such a special day for her that she was radiant and lovely. Even if the marriage isn't "legal" as some have speculated, it's still legitimate and real to the bride and groom. Let them live their fantasy.

I agree.  It doesn’t matter....a commitment ceremony is as “real” as it gets for many couples, for many reasons. For the couple and their family, they ARE married. I wish them every happiness and a long, loving marriage.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

I love that John asks the prices of things and wonders who is paying for all this. LOL! 

That makes me laugh, too, but I also like that it shows he understands what's expensive and what's not, and that money doesn't grow on trees.

3 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I agree.  It doesn’t matter....a commitment ceremony is as “real” as it gets for many couples, for many reasons.

Yeah, if it doesn't make sense for them to be married, but they want to be "married" as their chosen way of declaring and celebrating their commitment to each other, let 'em call it a wedding.  While not all of them have a ceremony, there are a lot of unmarried partners out there who refer to each other as husband or wife as an easy shorthand to describe their relationship to each other.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That makes me laugh, too, but I also like that it shows he understands what's expensive and what's not, and that money doesn't grow on trees.

Yes, we've seen his mother tell about money, when she was saying that he had until he was 30, to make rapping pay, or he needed to get a real job.

• Love 2

K.iSeeing Megan at that cake tasting scene was a real nail biter. We're those cakes gluten free??? 

Update, she survived the wedding so one can safely assume those cakes were baked in one of Megan's special pans with the tape around the handle. WHEW! 

All snark aside, I cried pretty much throughout the rest of the episode. Some of these parents are incredible people. 

I want to be best friends with Rachel. She is an angel among us.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, butterbody said:

K.iSeeing Megan at that cake tasting scene was a real nail biter. We're those cakes gluten free??? 

Update, she survived the wedding so one can safely assume those cakes were baked in one of Megan's special pans with the tape around the handle. WHEW! 

All snark aside, I cried pretty much throughout the rest of the episode. Some of these parents are incredible people. 

I want to be best friends with Rachel. She is an angel among us.

I wondered the same thing when they ordered pizza in one episode. I am assuming since she uses a different pan, she has celiac and not just an intolerance. Even if you order gluten free, most places can’t guarantee that there’s no cross contamination. 

On 8/31/2018 at 5:26 PM, camom said:

I agree with the poster who said that Rocco's parents should have taken him off the bus and given him other opportunities to practice going down stairs.  Give him one try, then get him off and stop holding everyone up.  He'll do it eventually.  I know plenty of parents who think the entire world should change to accommodate their kids (Sean and Rocco's parents are good examples).  Then there are those who do everything they can to help their kids live in the real world (Rachel, Elena).  A certain amount of understanding and accommodation is reasonable, but expecting everyone and everything to revolve around your child is ridiculous.  I've been around parents who do not discipline their children at all, and when they act up, hit and kick, are just generally rude, etc. the parents say, "Well, he has Down syndrome, he doesn't know any better."  Sorry, parents, it's your job to teach them.  

The older I get, the bitchier and more impatient I fear I am becoming with others...but.....I would much rather wait behind a bus because of a parent trying to help his or her child continue to learn than I would be in any store (or parking lot) where parents let their children run loose screaming and underfoot. 

• Love 2
On 9/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, kassa said:

Lots of neuro typical people don't legally marry for benefits reasons. 40 yrs ago my grandfather "remarried" but they didn't marry legally because both were drawing insurance and pension benefits from their late spouses. They presented as married and it was no less a marriage for not filing a form at town hall.

Just a little public service announcement here...

It depends on whether they were in a state that recognizes common law marriage.  If not, then it was not a marriage because the only way to get married is by filing the proper documents.  And that would work to your grandfather's advantage because he didn't want to marry because he'd lose the insurance and pension benefits.

However, some states do recognize common law marriage.  It's a myth that people become common-law married just by virtue of living together for X amount of time--common law marriage is never imposed on people in that situation.  But a common law marriage can be declared based on the couple's actions, and presenting themselves as married is one of them.  As is cohabiting.

How might this even come up?  Well, if the company providing the insurance and pension benefits decides to deny the benefits because the recipient is married, and the recipient claims not to be married, and it ends up in court.  At that point, whether there is a common-law marriage becomes a question of fact for the judge or jury, and the decision is based on weighing the evidence presented by both sides.   

Typically, it happens when people want to be married for some purposes, but not for others--usually financially motivated.  It's not unreasonable to require them to be one or the other, and not one sometimes and the other times.  They'll squawk about how the common law marriage was imposed on them, but that's not actually the case--the common law marriage was found to exist based on their actions.

That said, in states that don't recognize common law marriage, you can say you're married and all your friends can think you're married, and you can file joint income tax returns all you want, but unless you've done the proper paperwork, you're not married.  Something to think about when writing a will where you leave your estate to your spouse. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Just a little public service announcement here...

It depends on whether they were in a state that recognizes common law marriage.  If not, then it was not a marriage because the only way to get married is by filing the proper documents.  And that would work to your grandfather's advantage because he didn't want to marry because he'd lose the insurance and pension benefits.

However, some states do recognize common law marriage.  It's a myth that people become common-law married just by virtue of living together for X amount of time--common law marriage is never imposed on people in that situation.  But a common law marriage can be declared based on the couple's actions, and presenting themselves as married is one of them.  As is cohabiting.

How might this even come up?  Well, if the company providing the insurance and pension benefits decides to deny the benefits because the recipient is married, and the recipient claims not to be married, and it ends up in court.  At that point, whether there is a common-law marriage becomes a question of fact for the judge or jury, and the decision is based on weighing the evidence presented by both sides.   

Typically, it happens when people want to be married for some purposes, but not for others--usually financially motivated.  It's not unreasonable to require them to be one or the other, and not one sometimes and the other times.  They'll squawk about how the common law marriage was imposed on them, but that's not actually the case--the common law marriage was found to exist based on their actions.

That said, in states that don't recognize common law marriage, you can say you're married and all your friends can think you're married, and you can file joint income tax returns all you want, but unless you've done the proper paperwork, you're not married.  Something to think about when writing a will where you leave your estate to your spouse. 

And if you don't write a will, your partner will not receive spouse status in the eyes of the courts. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

And if you don't write a will, your partner will not receive spouse status in the eyes of the courts. 

I tried to explain this to my dim husband about his parents. They've lived together for 30yrs but NY is not a common law state. He works, she never has. If he gets up one fine morning and decides to walk away she's screwed. And she aint staying here!

Do we know if Christana's apartment was in an assisted living center? She's higher functioning and I could see her (and Angel) living independently with daily check ins.

• Love 3

OMG! I just finished watching Angel and Cristina's wedding (I have avoided every discussion until I watched my recording). I couldn't believe how affected I was. I cried nonstop throughout the two hours. Such a satisfying episode. Loved it.

• Love 2
On 9/6/2018 at 9:08 AM, SuzyLee said:

Wait a second.  They are not legally married?  I thought they were.  I assume that they'll need support of some kind all their lives, even while living "independently" as a married (or "married") couple.  I guess it makes sense that they aren't legally married, if only for how it would impact their benefits. 

I am confused - where and when was it stated that they are not legally married. This makes no sense. Why do what they did? Angel and Cristina are not stupid and I can't imagine them keeping up with a lie when they are usually very honest. Why would she call him her husband? Someone please share where this 'fake' wedding was discussed.

The paper they signed was not  a legal marriage certificate.  Also, the officiant talked about "commitment ceremony" or something like that.  The speculation is that they had a commitment ceremony rather than a legal marriage (Angel and Cristina may not even be aware of this fact).  The most likely reason is financial.  Being married could affect benefits, health and financial.  I know a few other families who have done something similar for their developmentally disabled adults who wanted to get married.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, gunderda said:

Just because it wasn't a legally binding wedding doesn't mean it was fake to them or their friends and family. No one is saying it's a sham for a tv show. 

I don't think anyone here was calling it a sham wedding. At least I hope not. Some of us were genuinely wondering what the legal or monetary ramifications of this wedding would be.

If they are legally married, is Angel responsible for medical decisions should anything happen to Christina? Are their benefits disrupted  by a wedding? 

Inquiring minds. That's all.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 2