Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

(edited)

I liked when they discussed the degree of educational integration that would be appropriate/the school would approve for Rocco, because it added an interesting element to the picture of life with DS, as the rest of the participants are well past those days (and things have changed).  But, on the whole, I'm not interested in that family.  He's a little kid, and I don't enjoy little kids, and the parents come off as vaguely annoying - even with the limited exposure, I wasn't at all surprised to hear they were the kind of parents who refuse to teach their child manners, instead just laughing off undisciplined behavior - so despite that brief "this is valuable information" moment, I wish they'd leave them off and just continue exploring adults with DS and their families on this show. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

so how do you know them??

I have an adult child with DS and live in the same area, so I knew many of them before the show.  Have met the others since.  Last weekend I saw them at a national Down Syndrome convention.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Eureka said:

Was the last new show a couple weeks ago the season finale? Last week was a rerun and last night something else was on.

I was wondering the same thing. Anyone know? It seems to have ended abruptly if it is the season finale.

I don't think it was abrupt since it ended with two episodes about the big DS ball; I don't know for sure, but I assumed part two of that was the season finale.  I think that's right, though, because a) I don't see any upcoming episodes listed or advertised, and b) that was episode ten, and the two previous seasons have consisted of approximately the same number of episodes.

9 hours ago, Robertmc said:

It was the season finale.  It hasn't been picked up yet for season 4 

Thanks. I don't remember it being promoted as the season finale, but that could just be me.

This was an interesting article in the NYT today: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/education/edlife/students-developmental-learning-disabilities-college.html?_r=0

About college/internship programs for people with disabilities with the goal of becoming employable. Sounds kind of what we've seen with Elena but on a larger scale. I'd like to watch more of this kind of thing than cruises and balls, which yes, are part of real life but are not the day to day. For example, we saw Cristina move into her own place but haven't seen her daily routine there, which would be interesting. Just my 2 cents.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Eureka said:

Thanks. I don't remember it being promoted as the season finale, but that could just be me.

This was an interesting article in the NYT today: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/education/edlife/students-developmental-learning-disabilities-college.html?_r=0

About college/internship programs for people with disabilities with the goal of becoming employable. Sounds kind of what we've seen with Elena but on a larger scale. I'd like to watch more of this kind of thing than cruises and balls, which yes, are part of real life but are not the day to day. For example, we saw Cristina move into her own place but haven't seen her daily routine there, which would be interesting. Just my 2 cents.

I agree.  I would love to see more of their day to day triumphs and struggles and way less will Carrie finally capture Big's heart. 

Does Christina work?  I know we saw her taking life skill classes with Angel but I don't remember hearing about what else she does with her days.  If she's high functioning enough to live on her own she must have the capabilities to do a couple of hours a week like Rachel. Or maybe not.   But I would love to watch and find out.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

I agree.  I would love to see more of their day to day triumphs and struggles and way less will Carrie finally capture Big's heart. 

Does Christina work?  I know we saw her taking life skill classes with Angel but I don't remember hearing about what else she does with her days.  If she's high functioning enough to live on her own she must have the capabilities to do a couple of hours a week like Rachel. Or maybe not.   But I would love to watch and find out.

They have not mentioned her working, so I am thinking maybe not. Even though they have not shown it, we know Steven works and didn't John work/volunteer in a pet store? It makes me sad because if they don't work, aren't they bored? Which was kind of addressed in that whole sex-ed episode with Cristina. (And also, who knows how much of Megology Megan actually does but it seems like her and her mom together all day is not a good combination.) If they don't work, do they get SSI, and is that enough money to go to the movies or shopping or somehow entertain yourself? Maybe camom can weigh in on some of that.

Edited by Eureka

The cast members make enough money from the show that they wouldn't qualify for SSI any more.  Also, they get a lot of invitations (usually just one or two of them at a time) to appear at various Down syndrome events, mostly in the U.S. but also internationally (Elena in Japan).  They do get paid for those appearances.  It would be difficult to hold down a "real" job while filming the show.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, camom said:

The cast members make enough money from the show that they wouldn't qualify for SSI any more.  Also, they get a lot of invitations (usually just one or two of them at a time) to appear at various Down syndrome events, mostly in the U.S. but also internationally (Elena in Japan).  They do get paid for those appearances.  It would be difficult to hold down a "real" job while filming the show.

I didn't even think of that. But hey, that is a job and I'm sure their parents are making sure some of it is being put away for their future.

YAY for S4 renewal!

Just discovered this show and powered through a series binge beginning after the Thanksgiving holiday. Where to even start?

Elena is the all star this season for me. What a turnaround! I think when it comes to the original premise of the show the camera capturing her story this season is the closest approximation of what I thought and want this show to be. 

I did not realize that Elena had siblings. Her brother is a total cutie! 

If nothing else proved that Megan is the star of this series and her relationship drama takes precedence, her making her grand entrance (last to arrive for max impact) all glammed up in her 'cutting edge' dress, hair and makeup sure cemented it! I just really CAN.NOT. The fact that they ended the season with a Meg/Steven scene almost made the eyes roll out of my head. I'm not even objecting to this being featured. Heck, I want to see the lives and loves of DS people. I just don't think this particular relationship deserves to dominate at the expense of everything else. I would rather watch Meg try to grocery shop and count money than this mess. 

I don't dislike Meg per se but I can definitely do with a lot less of her if everything is about her having a baby, boyfriend and diva drama. Her laugh has really come to grate on my nerves. I feel a little bad even feeling this way but hey, if her mantra is don't limit me, take the good with the bad. The most interesting Megan has been all season was when they were discussing savings acct for DS. Never knew there was a limit to how much DS people could save. So that was fascinating. 

My love knows no bounds for Rachel. I love that woman! So lovely, astute, sweet and caring of the feelings of others. I like her date but it made me wonder about the guy from last season. I feels odd that last season she also got a date right on the cusp of the season ending and we never heard a word about him every again. 

Liking John a lot but, yes, I could do with never hearing the booty song again. What's worse? Sometimes, I just randomly sing it while walking around my house. It is like that By Mennen commercial.

• Love 9

Catching up on season 3 which is marathoning today. I don't mind Rocco. I think it's interesting to see parents who are just starting out raising a Down Syndrome child vs. the stories of the adult cast member. However, I absolutely cannot deal with Rocco's haircut. 

• Love 1

Yay, it’s back!  I’ve actually missed this show quite a bit.  I love Rachel and her mom.  Her mom strikes such a perfect balance between the watchful mom she’ll always need to be and the best friend that it’s appropriate to be for someone Rachel’s age.  I hope Megan’s mom is watching them closely.  She could learn a lot from their relationship.

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

I wasn't aware a new season started tonight! Hopefully this won't be a season of the Megan.

Thank you for posting this! I just went and set the replays later tonight on my DVR!

• Love 1

Sean's bleached hair is truly awful.  He does seem happy with his girlfriend, at least for now.  Elena and her boyfriend were super cute.  It was nice to see the whole gang again.  

I finally got to see the episode from last weekend where Elena and John go to Japan.  Its too bad that wasn't the final episode of the season because that silly jealousy crap in "Red Carpet Wars II" was ridiculous.  I'm sorry, Megan, you had exactly 3 dates, get over it.  Yeah, Steven handled it poorly but Megan didn't handle the entire relationship well either.

• Love 8

Elena is my favorite person on this show just because she’s grown so much - I remember in the first couple of seasons where she was always acting out and I honestly couldn’t stand her on screen. But it’s so great to see how much she’s changed and grown. Last season she earned her new job and now this season, a new boyfriend. It’s awesome. And she’s so funny! I hope this season they focus on her more.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Kazzy25 said:

Elena is my favorite person on this show just because she’s grown so much - I remember in the first couple of seasons where she was always acting out and I honestly couldn’t stand her on screen. But it’s so great to see how much she’s changed and grown. Last season she earned her new job and now this season, a new boyfriend. It’s awesome. And she’s so funny! I hope this season they focus on her more.

Absolutely.  I loved watching her prepare that latte for her dad.  She was so focused and methodical; she knew exactly what she was doing and she did it well.  Her dad's reaction warmed my heart.  Also, her relationship with her mom seems to have evolved quite a bit, too.  Elena, Rachel, and Cristina are the shining stars of this show. 

• Love 14

Rachel has always been a favorite, and that hasn't changed.  But I agree that Elena is so fun to watch now.  She really has grown and matured.  

It will be interesting to see how it works out with Rachel and Megan.  It has been shown that Megan doesn't have the skills (money, cooking, etc.) to live on her own.  Rachel is better prepared and I think will do OK.  

Cristina and Angel are so cute together.  I think Cristina has a lot to learn about compromise so there could be some rocky times ahead.  Am I the only one wondering if the wedding would be taking place if it wasn't for the show?  And Cristina's parents were a hot couple when they got married!

I have no doubt that John can pass the written test for a driver's license, but actually driving is something else altogether.  I just don't see it happening.  We'll see.

Steven is just as charming and kind as always; Sean is just as annoying as always.

Edited by camom
  • Love 9

I really dislike Megan now. She just bugs me.

This living on her own is just for the show. When her Mom tried to teach(last season?) her basic things like grocery shopping and how to count money-she freaked out.

Sean looks so bad!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, camom said:

But I agree that Elena is so fun to watch now.  She really has grown and matured.

She also got the help she needed with her mental health, when before the actions that were a result of her depression/anxiety got lumped in as being part of her DS. 

It's truly remarkable how far she and Hiromi have come in their relationship; in the beginning, I would have that Hiromi's attitude was too entrenched (given Elena's age, and being rooted in cultural norms) to change to this extent, but I am very glad to see I was wrong.

I think Megan is going to be a difficult roommate and Cristina a difficult wife.  But there's hope for Cristina to learn, practice, and grow.  Megan, I'm not sure.  Poor Rachel deserves better, that's for sure; if Cristina wasn't going to be living with Angel, I think she and Rachel would have been a much better roommate pairing.

Did Cristina call Megan "the prettiest one" or something like that when handing out bridesmaid invitations -- right in front of Rachel and Elena?

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She also got the help she needed with her mental health, when before the actions that were a result of her depression/anxiety got lumped in as being part of her DS. 

It's truly remarkable how far she and Hiromi have come in their relationship; in the beginning, I would have that Hiromi's attitude was too entrenched (given Elena's age, and being rooted in cultural norms) to change to this extent, but I am very glad to see I was wrong.

I think Megan is going to be a difficult roommate and Cristina a difficult wife.  But there's hope for Cristina to learn, practice, and grow.  Megan, I'm not sure.  Poor Rachel deserves better, that's for sure; if Cristina wasn't going to be living with Angel, I think she and Rachel would have been a much better roommate pairing.

Did Cristina call Megan "the prettiest one" or something like that when handing out bridesmaid invitations -- right in front of Rachel and Elena?

She did and I thought that was a definite misstep. Just like this roommate situation is going to be. But I guess Steven and Sean had their shot, so it's time for the ladies to have a storyline. Shallow note: Shout out to Rachel for getting rid of the Gidget hair.  The men will be banging down Rachel's door now, so Megan is no longer the "prettiest one". 

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Sean continues to be the WORST. Being on a reality show is probably the worst possible thing for him. I did LOL when John said he looked more like Miley Cyrus than Justin Bieber, though ;)

John is hilarious. He's become my favorite, which I never would've foreseen during the days of Shake That BootyBooty. He's a little more perceptive about other people and has a pretty great sense of humor. I love his parents, too.

I'm also liking Elena more than ever, and agree that Rachel looks so much better without that goofy haircut. (I have an irrational dislike of turned-out ends on anyone/any hair type.)

Cristina's wedding dress shopping was a really good example of how it must be tough to be the loved ones of a person with DS. Her original favorite dress was hideous and totally wrong for her (very few women actually look good in a strapless, plunging sweetheart neckline), but it was the one she loved. If she were an average person, how would that go down? I would think the friends and family could say they really liked X or Y dress better, but it's her day and her decision, and then she would be able to weigh their input and make her choice. Is Cristina able to separate those factors the same way? I appreciated that her mom tried to avoid pressuring her into a dress she didn't really love.

Megan and Sean are so far behind the others it's hard to watch. They're both convinced they're so cool and mature, and their parents reinforce the delusion, while they're easily the most immature and least self-aware of the group. I don't like either of them at all. I think it's important not to treat people with DS as a monolith; they're not all "sweet" and "docile" all the time. They are also capable of being assholes, just like anyone else, and Sean: you the asshole, my friend. If I never hear him declare that he is a sexy ladies' man again it will be too soon. He gets away with a fuckton of #MeToo behavior because of his disability and maybe it's unfair of me, but I'm not okay with it.

• Love 23

Megan and Sean are so far behind the others it's hard to watch. They're both convinced they're so cool and mature, and their parents reinforce the delusion, while they're easily the most immature and least self-aware of the group. I don't like either of them at all. I think it's important not to treat people with DS as a monolith; they're not all "sweet" and "docile" all the time. They are also capable of being assholes, just like anyone else, and Sean: you the asshole, my friend. If I never hear him declare that he is a sexy ladies' man again it will be too soon. He gets away with a fuckton of #MeToo behavior because of his disability and maybe it's unfair of me, but I'm not okay with it.

I couldn't agree with this more.  I am the parent of an adult with DS (and I know the people on the show).  

• Love 13

I'm glad to see it back.
Hated all the woo woo with stones or crystals, and really hate that Megan's going after John now.
At least I think his family will protect him.  I'm not sure about him driving.
I think Christina continues to be unable to compromise, when Angel wants something.  Wasn't this a problem before?

• Love 3

Rachel is is beautiful. Love her hair. What is wrong with Megan this season? Not to pick on anyone with a disability but she looks frumpy and unwashed and she's not as talkative and outgoing. Sean's Dad was Really angry about that tattoo! Wow. Love elana. Christina is too much of a diva. I did laugh at how she was embarrassed by the inappropriate picture. I can't remember what angels disability is but he deserves someone who is capable of a real marriage with compromise, physical intimacy etc and Christina has already expressed she's not interested in either of those. It always seems to be her way or the highway. I'm all for encouraging people they can do anything but the idea of Megan living alone and John driving makes me nervous. 

Edited by kira28
  • Love 8

LOLing that Megan's gift to the world is "my dreams - because I dream big!"  Whatever problems she may have - self-esteem certainly is one of them :)I don't think she is at all capable of living on her own, but I do think Rachel's got a caretaking, motherly side to her that might help out.  I was glad when Rachel's mom tried to talk to Kris about babying Megan; hopefully Kris will take her advice.  And Rocco's parents - if you're reading this - get that poor boy a haircut!!

• Love 9
8 hours ago, kira28 said:

I'm all for encouraging people they can do anything but the idea of Megan living alone and John driving makes me nervous. 

The difference is that John's family will keep him grounded--help him do what he can, and keep him in touch with reality.
Kris, so far, has encouraged Megan's airy-fairy careers, and plans.  I think she may see Megan has her own ticket to fame, and/or, a good life.

• Love 2

Much better Elena, Rachel, Cristina to Megan, Rocco ratios! I kinda like the John-Megan pairing, if only because John will call her out with a little snark lol. 

Elena’s growth and change since the first season has been amazing. I’ve really enjoyed watching her grow and develop her self and confidence. I had little hope for improvement in her and her mother’s relationship, but am pleasantly surprised by it now.

Rachel’s hair: thank goodness! So lovely a person she is. But her and Megan sharing an apartment...eh, I’m giving that a ton of side eye.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

I kinda like the John-Megan pairing, if only because John will call her out with a little snark lol. 

She and Kris will eat him alive.  Look at poor Steven.  He tried to be polite, and when he tried to explain what was what, she's going around playing the "woman scorned," and some of his friends think he's a jerk.
Please, TLC, just send Megan and Kris back to Colorado.

• Love 5

I love this show and I think it does a decent job showing the lives of families affected by down syndrome. Although it's starting to become a bit like teen mom where the participants are benefiting from the money the show pays them and they are able to do alot of things that people with down syndrome who don't have fame and large paychecks don't have the resources to do. If Megan wasn't on the show I doubt her business would make enough for her to live with Rachel and Sean probably couldn't afford a tattoo or at least his father wouldn't let him use his money for one. I think most would either live at home or in group homes that are government funded. I suspect the show helps or pays for these apartments. 

I hope I'm not being offensive by saying this but I really don't understand why dating is perceived as so important to these young adults. Megan seems to function at a  tween or very young teenager level. She has the maturity of a young 12 or 13 year old. I realize she is an adult but even Rachel who is 34 isn't boy crazy or shown as of Her self esteem depends on having a boyfriend.. Megan had the one boyfriend for years and their parents would arrange supervised. Dates once a week and when Kris and Megan moved I think they still showed the guy coming to visit. He was not much higher functioning than Megan but had alot more sense as he did not want to marry her. I think Kris has this misguided notion that Megan having a boyfriend makes her seem more normal so she encourages it? 

I would not want my 12 year old daughter dating and wouldn't encourage someone with the mental capacity of a 12 year old to date every male she lays her eyes on. And it's not like they seem to get attached to their romantic interests. Steven was all about Megan until the next moment when he lost all interest. Megan was in love with her long term guy until she noticed Steven. When I was 12and 13 I had guys sort of as friends but had no interest in kissing them or hanging out on dates lol. I understand Eliana having a boyfriend and being excited (and asking permission for a first kiss) but she is a little higher functioning emotionally and is able to hold a job. I guess I don't under stand the pressure to constantly couple up. 

• Love 2

I think Kris and Megan are the reason this show is here, so even while I judge her babying of Megan, I appreciate that she brought this show to us. I do like to see John and Megan together, they seem to be good friends.  I see the Rachel/Megan apartment going the way of Steven/Sean. One person higher functioning and one not so much. I love to see how far Elena has come in the last two seasons. She's funny and seems so happy, and has a sweet boyfriend. Rachel of course is adorable, and I love her new hair! I think she may be more ready to be married than Cristina.  I think the reason we don't see her with a boyfriend is because she doesn't latch on to any available male in the pursuit of 'normal.'

• Love 6

I hope I'm not being offensive by saying this but I really don't understand why dating is perceived as so important to these young adults. 

I think I can explain.  Like Cristina's dad explained in the first season, it's not like they are the equivalent of someone much younger.  Someone with DS may be emotionally like a 10 year old, but academically like a 15 year old, or vice versa.  Some 12 year old girls are boy crazy (Megan) and some aren't (Rachel).  They also are keenly aware of their chronological age and know that others their age are dating and getting married.  The desire to be just like their typical peers can be pretty strong.  Also, physically these are people in their 30s (for the most part) and their sexual desires are the same as yours or mine.  Believe me, it's complicated and a mine field for parents to maneuver.  The main thing to remember is that the people on the show are individuals.  Just because they all have Down syndrome doesn't mean their wants and needs will be the same.

• Love 23
6 hours ago, nokat said:

I think the reason we don't see [Rachel] with a boyfriend is because she doesn't latch on to any available male in the pursuit of 'normal.'

She used to.  In the first season I was afraid she was going to pounce on every single man with DS in L.A. and ask him to be her boyfriend; thankfully, she only made it through two or three before her mom sat her down and had a great conversation with her about not being so needy and pushy.  And she wanted Sean to be her boyfriend back in the beginning, too (he told her didn't want to date someone with DS -- and then promptly turned his gross "ladies man" sights on Megan, a couple of women at a DS convention, etc.).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Hero said:

It seems like Elena's parents are detached from her. 

I have to admit I can't fully understand the way Elena's father deals with her. The dropping in every several weeks, getting a progress report, have a cup of coffee and then fly back out? Not my idea of parental guidance. He really seems to leave up to Hiromi ( is that her name?).  I try to remember that Elena is 30 something and higher functioning. Whatever it is, it seems to work for their family.

7 hours ago, Hero said:

It seems like Elena's parents are detached from her.

Her Dad did seem very loving but detached. I know what you mean. They both want her to be self sufficient so they can both move and be done. But that's not what happens with DS. I think this show has been very good for Elena and Rachel, they both seem to have thrived.

• Love 4

Hasn't Elena been living in a group home, for a while?  We saw that several seasons ago, when they moved, and she was upset at a new house.
It seems that the show may have helped Hiromi, and their relationship.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

I have to admit I can't fully understand the way Elena's father deals with her. The dropping in every several weeks, getting a progress report, have a cup of coffee and then fly back out? Not my idea of parental guidance. He really seems to leave up to Hiromi ( is that her name?).  I try to remember that Elena is 30 something and higher functioning. Whatever it is, it seems to work for their family.

Doesn’t he work out of the country most of the time? If I remember correctly, they were trying to find a way for Elena to become more self sufficient so Hiromi could join him where he was or they’d move back to Japan. Or something similar.

• Love 4