Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E00: Matchmaking Special / S03.E01: Wedding Preparations

• Start Topic

A preview of Season 3, which attracted more than 7000 applicants, includes an in-depth look at the matchmaking process and offers an introduction to the experiment, the experts and the candidates brave enough to marry a total stranger.

Season 3 of the reality series begins with the team of experts narrowing down the pool of participants to six singles who they hope will get married at first sight. Once the matches are made, the couples have 10 days to prepare for their weddings.

Well, so far these couples look much better than last year's. They seem to be more mature and have it together much more, and actually seem as though they could make genuine marriages. I think Tres and Vanessa are my favorite so far, at least as far as looking like a real couple. Hate to say it, but Season Two's folks just seemed like trashy, bottom-of-the-barrel types. These don't. But we'll see!

• Love 5

I don't know, guys.

(No, I don't know everyone's name yet -- so, sorry about the descriptions in lieu of names)

Neil and his lady? Neil may be a little too committed to kookie for this to work out. He seems like someone that you have to known for a long time to appreciate, fully. And his wife seems too Type A-ish for him.

Red Hair and "ewww strippers"? No way is that gonna work. She seems too uptight for him. Of course, she could have just been super up-tight that night because...well, yeah -- she was about to marry someone she didn't know.

Vanessa and Trey -- nope. Don't see it. They look GREAT together, but I think they may lock heads. Though he seems lovely for the most part, I detect a cockiness that may not work for Vanessa.

• Love 2

I really hope this season will be better than the last.

My first impressions:

Vanessa and Tres: They both seem great. I hope Tres walking out is a red herring.

Sam and Neil: I like them as well and they would make an adorable couple, but I think them being too much alike with the quirkiness may be an issue. I hope I'm wrong.

David and Ashley: I don't know about this. Ashley's reaction to the strippers made me think that she's uptight. I do realize that not everyone is going to be into that, but my initial reaction stands. It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

• Love 2

Vanessa and Trey are physically beautiful together. I'm hoping the cliffhanger we just saw that seemed to portend a runaway groom is actually Trey stepping away to retrieve something sweet he had hidden somewhere. A flower or piece of jewelry, etc.

Lots of animal lovers in this group. I like that, and think it's a good sign overall.

The experts were humbled and eating subtle crow this time around. Not so bombastic and haughty about the whole deal.....more realistic and honest so far.

Dr. Schwartz looks nice this season; maybe some cosmetic work or just better hair and makeup. I continue to loathe Cilona.

That's all I got.

I thought Pepper had a little work done, as well as Laura. Laura looked different in several of her THs within the episode, from one TH to the next.

Greg did more talking tonight than he did in the entire second season. Cilona kept his ego in check a little better.

All four experts have been humbled. I think. So far.

I noticed when we saw a couple of candidates working on the psych evals on their tablets that the things were entitled "Dr Joseph's Questionnaire." The "Dr Joseph" bit always makes me laugh.

Edited by sleekandchic
Vanessa and Trey are physically beautiful together. I'm hoping the cliffhanger we just saw that seemed to portend a runaway groom is actually Trey stepping away to retrieve something sweet he had hidden somewhere. A flower or piece of jewelry, etc.

I was thinking the same thing. Like maybe the best man had Vanessa's wedding band and Tres was going to get it.

Neil seems too fussy and odd to be matched with anyone. Poor Samantha and her sugar gliders.

I was actually thinking that Sam seemed a bit too odd to be matched. They are both a bit quirky which could work out or be a complete disaster.

I am liking all these people so far as well. We'll see how long that lasts.

• Love 1

I hope the rumors about jerky behavior this season aren't true because so far all the participants seem much more down to earth and mature than last time. No drama queens or divas (hi, Sean!).

As usual, the parents about broke my heart with their concern, worry and tears. They love these people and are going to be wounded and share in any heartbreak right along with them.

The stony, disapproving faces on David's friends were pretty funny.

Scruffy beard on Tres = okay

Medium short beard on David = maybe trying too hard

Scary beard on Neil = nuh uh

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

Oh, re the Matchmaking Special:

20,000 applicants?! And at least half of the ones the show highlighted were dripping with desperation. I was praying that the one short-haired brunette woman would not be chosen but they kept highlighting her crying about wanting someone to "love me for me." Too emotionally needy for the MAFS circus.

I was a little surprised that 25-year-old women like Vanessa and the tall blond Catholic/Baptist chose to try this show. 25 is too young to feel they've tried "everything" to find love, imo.

Shallow alert: the Eyebrow OverSculpt has gotten out of hand. WTH? Too heavyhanded. Even two of the brides, who looked fine in real life, looked clownish on their wedding days after the makeup artists got finished with them.

• Love 2

I knew something was going to happen when Dr. Cilona planted the seed about the possibility of somebody walking out of the wedding.  Tres stepping off the altar looked like it'll turn out to be momentary.  I can't imagine the season losing a couple in the first episode.

David and Ashley seem quiet and reserved, so it's hard to get a read on them.  The whole thing with the strippers was odd, because I assume Ashley's friends would know that she wouldn't be into it.  I like that she walked out.  I couldn't stand on the altar looking my bride-to-be in the eye knowing that I had cavorted with strippers the night before.  I'd hope my bride-to-be felt the same.

I'm not sure about Neil and Sam.  I agree that their mutual quirkiness might clash.

Edited by Fastball
  • Love 1
20,000 applicants?! And at least half of the ones the show highlighted were dripping with desperation. I was praying that the one short-haired brunette woman would not be chosen but they kept highlighting her crying about wanting someone to "love me for me." Too emotionally needy for the MAFS circus.

And there's always the average-to-dumpy looking guy who wants a combination of Beyonce/Halle/Rhianna/whatever. Bite me.

If Tres is a breast man, he hit the damned jackpot.

• Love 3

And there's always the average-to-dumpy looking guy who wants a combination of Beyonce/Halle/Rhianna/whatever. Bite me.

Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek, too! Omg! That guy made me yelp with laughter. Poor thing.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 3

Apart from the usual reality tv stuff (repeating dialogue, dragging things out) I enjoyed the show and like the six people. I'm trying to remember if I was this optimistic after the first 2 episodes of season 2. I don't think I was. The tone so far reminds me of season 1 which I enjoyed much more. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

When did last season's crew open up their FB pages? Was it after the weddings?

• Love 2

Thanks to the producers for booking decent wedding venues this time. The previous dreary and cheap hotel conference rooms didn't exactly get the couples off to a promising start.

David's talking head about a possible screen shot of two disparate bachelor/ette parties was funny but perhaps a portent of troubles to come. I feel like we learned the least about Ashley over the two hours.

I wish this show was on Netflix so I could binge it. I'm too nosy to wait!

• Love 3

I thought it was interesting that Neil is half Indian and two of last seasons participants were Indian as well.

Davina was Indian and she was very pretty, but annoying (though she did not deserve what Sean did to her).

Jackie (who was half Indian and half Italian) was also attractive, once you got over her hardness, but she deserved much better then fake mama's boy Ryan.

Neil has a look that you are either going to love or hate.  His ex girlfriend was surprisingly pretty, I hope he is not hung up on her (cough Jamie).

I thought Vanessa was lovely, but did not care for her wedding look.  The updo seemed to belong on a much older woman.  I think Tre is going to say I can't go on...until I recite this poem to my wife.  Yeah, I totally think it is a fake out.

• Love 2

I'm rooting for these ones. So far so good except for the girl who walked out on the strippers. They are such a mismatch personality wise. He's more fun loving and silly. If she's the type who "always tries to stay classy" they are going to clash later on in the relationship. We'll see how this goes, but I suspect they will have the hardest time connecting initially.

Neil has a look that you are either going to love or hate.  His ex girlfriend was surprisingly pretty.

Neil's ex literally looks like his new wife. Brunettes, same level of attractiveness with the same body types & everything.

He does have that face that you learn to love. He's not unattractive, it just takes a second look to notice his good features.

Edited by LeonD
  • Love 2

The girl who sent the strippers home is not "classy" and no fun and boring and uptight. No, she is just terribly aware of the cameras. She was worried how she was going o look on TV frolicking and enjoying the strippers. If the cameras were not there,  I am sure she would have played along and had fun.  She is going to be walking on eggshells to make a good impression on TV and appear classy. How she really is I am not sure but sending them away seemed fake to me.

The facial hair on these guys is not for me.

I have to keep fast forwarding through the experts . I hate the way they drag this show out with nonsense

Expert in a serious voice: A bachelor/bachelorette party is a goodbye to singlehood. You are going to be leaving your single life behind. There is lots of fun celebrating your last night of being single. Now you will be married. And this party represents that.

She says this so seriously as if she is imparting some great wisdom on us.

The honeymoon is important because bla bla bla YEAH NO SHIT!! experts my ass.

• Love 9

Currently watching the "Matchmaking Special," and something really leaped out at me. They had a scene where they talked about how the black guys don't want to be matched with black women; meanwhile, the black women all want to be matched with black men. Is this a widespread phenomenon in Atlanta? Otherwise I'm not sure why they brought it up. Seemed like it was a bit gratuitous, since it was out of the blue and almost throwing the guys under the bus a bit (deservedly or not). It was a weird scene, anyway.

Agree with everyone above that they really seem to be trying to put together better matches, or at least they're really trying to come across like they are. They've also said about a thousand caveats that "matching doesn't mean we guarantee success!"

• Love 1

In fairness to what's-her-face, the strippers were not good looking at all. The one with the kewpie doll hair was gross.

My mom called me on the phone while watching to comment on Neil's eyes - they are two different sizes.

• Love 2

These couples seem a bit more grounded than last season's. Maybe.

I'm glad Neil trimmed that beard but it's still too much. I'm not a thick, bushy beard person though, I don't think it's attractive. He and Sam seem to have a lot in common so we'll see.

I like Tres and Vanessa the best. Her dress was my favorite.

David seems like a good guy. I don't blame Ashley for not wanting the strippers there. Her party was so low key, the strippers didn't fit in.

I really hate how much they show the families and how worried and emotional they get. These are their children and if the marriage doesn't work out ( hello, last season) then they will be devastated. That just breaks my heart.

• Love 1

I was pleasantly surprised at how far they got on the first episode. It seemed they weren't even at the church on the first episode of Season Two...can't remember about Season One. Last night they were already reciting their vows. I do think the experts learned their lesson from last year and really tried to find people who actually want to get married. And likewise, most of the candidates really seemed to want to be married. Quick thoughts:

- Did anyone think Tre did NOT look happy upon seeing his bride? Everyone else was fist pumping like he hit the jackpot, but he did not look pleased. I got a deja-vue from last year how Ryan said many times how pretty Jessica was when he first saw her, but many posters felt from the get-go he looked disappointed. I agree with someone that Vanessa's hairstyle did not compliment her at all. A much simpler do, with her hair around her shoulders, would have been better.

- Can't help it....David reminds me soooo much of Sean from last season. Easygoing, seems like he would fit with many people....hope he's genuine. He's the "David" that's been mentioned here many times, right? Someone who was at their wedding posted about it, and wasn't there a comment he was in it for the money? I could not get that out of my head when I watched him, and kept thinking "phony".

- Didn't like hearing the word "quirky" so much from the experts about Sam and Neil. Reminds me of how much emphasis was used to pair Davina & Sean because each were bullied and unhappy as kids. Look how that ended up.

Hopefully the experts will stick like glue to these 3 couples and really be there for them, which we didn't see last season. One last thought...last night's very quick shot of Jessica and Jaclyn might be the very last time we will ever see anyone from Season Two. I wonder what they are all doing now. Considering how the show has repeated the episodes from Season One over and over, it's funny that they have completely shelved everything about Season Two.

• Love 2
Currently watching the "Matchmaking Special," and something really leaped out at me. They had a scene where they talked about how the black guys don't want to be matched with black women; meanwhile, the black women all want to be matched with black men. Is this a widespread phenomenon in Atlanta? Otherwise I'm not sure why they brought it up. Seemed like it was a bit gratuitous, since it was out of the blue and almost throwing the guys under the bus a bit (deservedly or not). It was a weird scene, anyway.

Not just in Atlanta, but NYC too.  I have seen this a lot with the under 30 set.  Black men have no issue going out with non black women, while black women pray for their "black prince."  Many young black women are waking up; it's the content of a man's character that's important, not the color of his skin.  

• Love 4

Neil and his lady? Neil may be a little too committed to kookie for this to work out. He seems like someone that you have to known for a long time to appreciate, fully. And his wife seems too Type A-ish for him.

Anyone else think  Neil was chosen  for the "entertainment value"??

I'm not really into any of them right now. Last night was just too long and drawn out. It was exhausting to watch.

Not just in Atlanta, but NYC too. I have seen this a lot with the under 30 set. Black men have no issue going out with non black women, while black women pray for their "black prince." Many young black women are waking up; it's the content of a man's character that's important, not the color of his skin.

Is it just that these black men have no problem dating outside their race or prefer to do so? Black men who prefer non-black women are the one demographic of men I see who are so vocal about the preference and fault black women in one breath, but assert the personal preference argument if challenged. They also tend to pass on negative attitudes regarding black women to their mates and social circle billing it as insider information. I have never experienced a non-black male do the kind of negative PR about the female population of their racial group the way black men do.

It was my inference that they chose Atlanta because as a city it has a high number of relatively young people who are already desperately seeking the happily ever after fairytale than NYC partially due to it being in the South.

On top of that, geographical undesirability is probably less of an issue than NYC. Lastly, they were hoping for a larger pool of black applicants in order to avoid deserved charges of just matching the two black people and trying to force the combatability.

• Love 6

Not just in Atlanta, but NYC too.  I have seen this a lot with the under 30 set.  Black men have no issue going out with non black women, while black women pray for their "black prince."  Many young black women are waking up; it's the content of a man's character that's important, not the color of his skin.  

I am white but used to work alongside a number of young black women. This was 30-35 years ago. Of course, we'd all get to talking while we worked, and they were quite vocal about how a lot of black men wanted white women because marrying "white" was seen as a status symbol - moving up in the world. It's not politically correct to say so, but that's the way many black men look at it. I'm hoping that the other show *Black Love* will talk about it, too.

And FWIW, white men often get caught up in the fantasy of Asian women, and we lose our men to them. Paybacks are hell, I guess.

I don't know that there's anything to be done about any of this. It isn't "racism" because we are only talking about sexual attraction, and many people have a very specific type that they are attracted to. That is entirely different from who you work with, go to school with, live next door to, etc. 

At any rate, this sociological aspect is the most interesting thing to me about MAFS and, later, Black Love. Sure opens up the floor for discussion, if nothing else.

• Love 2

Yeah, the whole race thing is really interesting to me. I don't fault any individual person for having preferences, that's just human nature, but I found it really random that the experts said "all the black men want white women, and all the black women want black men." I really hope they were just oversimplifying, because that just seemed odd to me.

• Love 1

Ok. Just finished watching it online - and I wasn't going to watch after last year, but I remembered how much fun we had in here :) Anyway. I get the slimy feeling about Dave that I did about Sean last year. Something seems phony about him. I think it's weird that just because Neil and the Samantha are quirky - it's a good match. And then Tres - I don't know - seems like a player. Don't see this ending well.

• Love 2

I get the slimy feeling about Dave that I did about Sean last year. Something seems phony about him.

Oh say it isn't true! I want Sean "Christian Grey sexual" to be in a category all by himself.

• Love 5

I liked these people a lot more than last season's trashy creepers too, but it's too early to tell how they really are. The only ones I'm currently a bit iffy about are Tres and Ashley. He seems like a potential player and she may be a tad uptight or too image conscious to truly be herself. I don't like strippers either and wouldn't want some ugly stranger gyrating in my face, but I felt really bad for her friends. Maybe she should've told them in advance not to even think about it instead of embarrassing them on TV like that.

Samantha immediately won me over with those sugar gliders. Sooo cute! I'm rooting for her and Neil since they seem like funny people.

I

get the slimy feeling about Dave that I did about Sean last year. Something seems phony about him.

Oh say it isn't true! I want Sean "Christian Grey sexual" to be in a category all by himself.

In all fairness, nothing says Christian Grey like putting together Legos and glow in the dark ceiling stars.  Sean is definitely one of a kind.

• Love 2

CAUTION*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

Uh-oh! Looks like trouble may be ahead for season 3 after all. Someone on twitter (@HiphopAnonymous) is tweeting that David and Ashley are divorced, that he has embezzled money from former employers, been in trouble for domestic violence, and insinuated Ashley may have a restraining order on him. Way to go "Experts"!

If this is true, I wouldn't honestly be that shocked.

Edited by Bella
add spoiler tags
  • Love 4

I read an article which stated that African American women and Asian men were the least likely to marry outside of their race, so that comment didn't surprise me.   However, I don't know what to make of  the men being so adamant about not wanting to be matched with someone of their own race.  What's that about?

• Love 2

After last season's mess I really shouldn't be watching this wretched show again but here I am, and I really enjoyed that first episode! Of course I'm sure it will all go terribly wrong soon enough but at least I'll enjoy the posts here.

• Love 1

Please be careful with the spoilers, folks - we have tags for that kind of thing, plus a separate thread!

Thanks.

And I recorded this - based on the comments here, I will watch it, though I'll make goofy faces and voices whenever Dr. C is prattling.

• Love 2

I don't mind male strippers at a classy club...but not on tv....
I think Ashley was smart
She is in Nursing School....she does NOT want pics of her getting a lap dance plastered on the internet and clip on youtube and repeated over and over as "promos"

ITA about the Indian connection - the idea of arranged marriage may be more appealing to them....like keeping up a tradition. On the arranged tv show one couple Indian...one Romani - who are descended from India.

One good thing - the geographic and logistical problems are not here like they were in NYC. 

Edited by still hoping
  • Love 2

In my own humble opinion, I think Tres and Vanessa are a train wreck wating to happen. He has all kinds of abandonment issues and she has control issues. Put them both together (because they're both "sexually adventurous???" That's ALL you got???), you've got a really really rough six weeks ahead of us. I don't see this one ending very well. I think the "mixed couple" (sorry, don't know all the names yet) are going to make it. If "quirky & type A" can learn to compromise and be patient w/each other, they may make it.

Vanessa & Trey? Nope. Don't see it. Bet they make the cardinal mistake of having sex too quickly too. That's always the kiss of death. You literally do not KNOW this person. Keep your underpants on.

• Love 2

Vanessa & Trey? Nope. Don't see it. Bet they make the cardinal mistake of having sex too quickly too. That's always the kiss of death. You literally do not KNOW this person. Keep your underpants on.

I was thinking the same thing - and that was the fatal mistake for all the other couples who didn't make it. I sure wish the "experts" would tell the couples that, especially the women. But I'm sure they think it makes for better TV if the blonde sexologist makes it sound like having sex with a stranger on your wedding night will have no effect on the rest of your relationship. 

• Love 2

Please be careful with the spoilers, folks - we have tags for that kind of thing, plus a separate thread!

Thanks.

And I recorded this - based on the comments here, I will watch it, though I'll make goofy faces and voices whenever Dr. C is prattling.

Yes - please don't post spoilers here!   Even if they are hidden!  I couldn't resist and peeked.  

• Love 5

I don't see how Vanessa could have sex on her wedding night, what with that big fake bun plunked on her head. Unless it's the daintiest, most tepid sex ever, the thing is bound to fall off. Her real hair has been so scraped and squished underneath that it's going to take major reconstruction to get it back to looking presentable.

Hey, we women think about these things.

• Love 6