Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

This is so insanely pathetic but when the forums upgraded i bought an iPhone se and 6 because of -honestly the y&r forum- I wanted to keep up with it and just couldn't imagine my days without some of the posters zingers. A few of you are comedians, i would not be surprised if you do standup or are screenwriters, and it is amazing. 

Anyhow my point is i wanted to not exceed my data and jumped on my old device- ipod wut? - and the site still RUNS absolutely HORRIBLE in lower end devices and software. When it was user friendly on both before. Spinning wheel entire time whenever I open it until i leave and crashing. It took me like ten minutes to compose this w/ how slow. 

So just an update. Since site change still unusable or read only on some technology. 

• Love 4

Petunia, I keep getting script error messages if that helps. It freezes up my laptop sometimes and I can't post at all. Yesterday I tried for an hour to post in the CDN thread to no avail, even after rebooting my computer three times.

Before I was only only getting the script error on the main forum page but now it's on the Y&R one and it's driving me nuts. So I definitely understand your frustration.

Do you have wifi at home? Can you not use your iPhone but set it so it's picks up your wifi signal when you're at home so as not to use up all your data? That's what I do with my phone.

• Love 5

The one glitch I'm still having is that I cannot edit, but only on the Y&R thread, which is very weird.  I can edit in any other forum, but it won't save my edits in Y&R.

At first, I thought I liked the updates, but now I think I preferred the old site.  It was easier to navigate.

• Love 5

Yeah, I've been kinda surprised about the actual downgrades in functionality. I generally post from either a laptop running Windows 7 or a tablet running the latest version of Android. Posting with the tablet is 100x more difficult now and it's real challenge to do anything more than type or cut & paste plain text. Given how big the Android market is I'm surprised the software running this site isn't more amenable to it. Google ain't going away and like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, it will not be ignored.

Ditto sentiments expressed upthread, I hope the new technical issues don't drive any of our wonderful Preverts away. This forum is about the only thing that's keeping me watching this damn show.

• Love 7
(edited)

I hope it won't either, guys. I've been behind on show and not posting as much this week. But I have been reading the threads. It seems to be more difficult to do so this week, with all the glitches.

I've lost interest in reading the last few months (very unlike me) and in watching TV (also very unlike me) and this forum is the only thing that still holds my interest. So I would hate to not be able to visit it and post here. So fingers crossed that does not happen.

Edited by jewel21
Still and stuff do not mean the same thing.
  • Love 7

Joining the choir.  My bugbear is getting booted all the time -- even when logged in with "keep me logged in".  I attempt a post or a like and get the f.u. "you can't do that",  and realise I got the boot again.  Starting to take it personally lol.

Also dislike that you can no longer preview prior to posting,  at least I can't seem to.  (laptop/firefox 46.0.1)

• Love 4
On 5/21/2016 at 5:28 PM, klopek said:

Joining the choir.  My bugbear is getting booted all the time -- even when logged in with "keep me logged in".  I attempt a post or a like and get the f.u. "you can't do that",  and realise I got the boot again.  Starting to take it personally lol.

Also dislike that you can no longer preview prior to posting,  at least I can't seem to.  (laptop/firefox 46.0.1)

You too? Now I feel better. I thought management was trying to show me the door.

• Love 2

I'm not much of a small talker or a sharer, but I need to get this off my chest, so to speak.

I just turned 40 and had my first mammogram. I found it slightly humiliating and awkward, which is absolutely no reflection on the very pleasant and professional lady who performed it. I have an unholy terror of anything medical    since I was six and spent three months in the hospital with a kidney stone that refused to leave.

So I get called back in for an ultrasound for an area they can't make out, and the nurse on the phone tells me at least five times not to worry. Everyone tells me not to worry. It's common for this to happen with your first mammogram.  

But then I get the ultrasound and there's a round thing. I have to get it needled in a couple of weeks. They don't know if it's anything bad, but they do know it's not just a cyst. Naturally, I feel doomed. I went against the sound advice in this thread and googled shit. I'm just terrified, honestly, and don't know how to relax. 

I have opened up like Billy's nostrils. Feels kind of weird.

NP, "like" is not a reasonable response here, so I'll throw out something that I hope is reassuring.

A close friend and fellow professor I've worked with for decades had the same experience as you describe a year ago. Down to the smallest detail. It was nothing. She's fine, and apparently, as they're telling you, these things are a combination of the two technologies used not being able to define the object.

I know you're going to worry, but if they were concerned, they wouldn't wait a couple of weeks to do an analysis. Google is not our friend, and as a fellow medical paranoiac, I know what you're talking about here. I had an MRI on my foot and you would have thought it was some world-shaking event...

My thoughts and prayers are with you--not because I think you should worry, but because I can sense how anxious you must feel.

• Love 8

Thank-you, pearlite. I've heard from co-workers and relatives and friends who know women that have endured multiple needles with benign results, and yet for some irrational reason I'm certain the universe is going to single me out for something awful. It's not fun being neurotic.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I'm not much of a small talker or a sharer, but I need to get this off my chest, so to speak.

I just turned 40 and had my first mammogram. I found it slightly humiliating and awkward, which is absolutely no reflection on the very pleasant and professional lady who performed it. I have an unholy terror of anything medical    since I was six and spent three months in the hospital with a kidney stone that refused to leave.

So I get called back in for an ultrasound for an area they can't make out, and the nurse on the phone tells me at least five times not to worry. Everyone tells me not to worry. It's common for this to happen with your first mammogram.  

But then I get the ultrasound and there's a round thing. I have to get it needled in a couple of weeks. They don't know if it's anything bad, but they do know it's not just a cyst. Naturally, I feel doomed. I went against the sound advice in this thread and googled shit. I'm just terrified, honestly, and don't know how to relax. 

I have opened up like Billy's nostrils. Feels kind of weird.

Hey Ninja, I feel you. It's hard not to Google shit. It gives us the illusion of control. If I "know" I can somehow handle it (is what we believe in the moment we're typing in questions and medical terms). Not knowing is what's scaring the shit out of you. Because faced with the unknown your very clever mind will come up with stunning, Technicolor doomsday scenarios until you can barely breathe. When I'm in that state of terror I can't eat, drink, function. I realize that I'm closed off, blocked, not letting food, drink -- life -- flow through me. But life has to flow through and so it's just so painful. (Resisting life is painful, I have learned.) So I've begun to focus on what's in front of me. Because saying: "Hey Me, stop worrying" doesn't work.

For example: Doomsday SCENARIO pops up in my head. Oh my GOD I can't breathe. So this is what I do: I look around at everything. Closely. (I'm a writer so sometimes I write down what I see, down to the very minute details). I listen (for example, I just noticed the birds chirping outside are not all the same; there are different birds out there. Who knew?). I inhale (musty? I need to open more windows and then I inhale more smells at the window and suddenly I'm breathing properly). All that's real is what's in front of me. Those scary things are images. That's all.

Are you okay right now? Yes. Trust that. Trust it will always be true. The scary images will keep coming (I'm neurotic too). But just watch them and say "images, just bad overwritten big drama soap opera schlock." Or whatever mantra works. And if you do this you will have little moments when you aren't terrified. I promise. When what's in front of you stops the scary images. For a moment. And then another.

You just want to know how to deal with the waiting with the not knowing. I know. ;)

You're okay. 

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Thank-you, pearlite. I've heard from co-workers and relatives and friends who know women that have endured multiple needles with benign results, and yet for some irrational reason I'm certain the universe is going to single me out for something awful. It's not fun being neurotic.

You're not being neurotic, NP, just human.  People, including me, garble out 'don't worry' knowing full well that you will, that it's impossible not to.  Your mind goes in all directions and it feels like a out of body experience, as if you're watching your life from the outside, with no control.  And you feel like you'll burst with the waiting.  Yes, it will probably, hopefully, be okay.  But until you know......you'll settle into your own rhythm.

We're here and for what it's worth, we care.

• Love 10

Hey NP, I went through the same thing a couple of years ago and like you, I freaked the hell out. My blood pressure shot up to where the radiologist wanted to ship me to the ER post haste. I went to see my GP and she talked me down. I had the procedure and of course it was nothing. I could have kicked myself for all the needless anxiety I put myself through, but as other posters have observed, it's human nature. I don't really have any advice other than to let you know that you're not alone and to tell you I'll be thinking about you and feeling the solidarity that only someone who has been through it can feel. Rock on NP, you'll be drinking a long cool glass of relief when it's over. I know I did.

• Love 9

pearlite posted:  I know you're going to worry, but if they were concerned, they wouldn't wait a couple of weeks to do an analysis

NP. pearlite said the best thing to make you feel better and i can't stress enough for you to understand what she said cause it is TRUE.  you would get an appointment very quick..

NP, just remember you are not alone.

you has US, the very best preverts in the world..we got your back.

• Love 8
(edited)

Thanks, peaches. There's probably no way to prevent it entirely, but my goodness does the medical community create vast quantities of anxiety. 

Edited to add thanks to valley as well. You are all really great.

Edited by NinjaPenguins
Moar thanks
  • Love 5

I have to jump in here, too, because I had The Lump Experience (actually two of them, six months apart) about 34 years ago.  The fear, anxiety and feelings of helplessness have not changed, I see.  ValleyCliffe makes a good point about how long you are waiting for testing-but it is still a long wait.  I remember having bad thoughts about the medical profession, too, but I think they play it down to keep you from freaking out-not that that works, but, it's a theory. My suggestion is to not think the worst until you actually know it's the worst.  (Saved me a lot of stress on the second one.)  The odds are the same for it being benign as it is malignant.   Reading your post, I realized that all but one of my female friends has had The Experience. Only one of them actually had cancer-that was over twenty years ago and she's doing just fine.  (We're in a dance class together, so there.)  So hang in there.  You have a good sense of humour-use it.  Smite that interloper!

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

It sounds like more women than not have had what I now think of as the raging tit terror. Damn. 

my first mamogram when in my 30's was due to a liquid substance seeping from my nipple.  i'd had a hysterectomy already so when dr. asked if i was pregnant i laughed and said no...then he booked the mamogram at the hospital for the next day.. they didn't find anything....to this day i have never found out why liquid seeped out of nipple and the doctor didn't know why either.

• Love 3

I feel like the site works better on my new iPhone se w the newest software/updates but even on it it occasionally crashes or has errors. 

On the older device I own w old software it still has myriad problems & usabilty issues, crashing, slowness, ect I wish it was good on both, since I use both daily. It's not the Internet connection since on iPhone I switch back and forth from different wifi networks and data plan and its same. But on the old device it's consistently bad. 

@NinjaPenguins I think it's totally normal to worry when you or a loved one have tests like that. I think about certain stuff and hypotheticals sometimes. Just remember you have our love and support if you wanna chat about anything. This group is such an amazing community ? People who snark together, stay together. 

• Love 10
(edited)

It sure would be nice if the Healthcare Industrial Complex would do the test as soon as possible whether or not they think it's serious, just to avoid weeks of needless anxiety.  I hope you find lots of wonderful things to do and enjoy and keep your mind occupied in the meantime.

And, of course, I join my merry band of Preverts as we rally and send you our healing positive vibes, Ninja!

Edited by Snaporaz
Ninja rocks!
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Speaking of the Patented Prevert Positive Energy, how's your dad, miamama?  Still on the mend?

Yes! Prevert energy has been wonderful. He's out of ICU! It's been 2.5 days on the ward (I'm so stupid about jinxing hence waiting to jump up and down for joy on here.) He tested positively (in a preliminary test) for one of those stupid ass hospital acquired super bugs just yesterday. Gah. Final results in a day or so. So he's in isolation (private room and we wear gloves and gown to visit). But overall so so so good. And this particular super bug is not as bad as others. 

Healing is not linear so it's all really positive. No more need for oxygen and his wound (which had been infected) is now healed.

So, thanks for all the good thoughts and good wishes my friends. :)

• Love 10

Thanks great to hear miamama!

Hang in there Ninja! I know it's easy to say not to worry but do try to keep yourself occupied/distracted. As someone who suffers from anxiety, I can tell you it's pointless to worry but so hard not to do so. The key is to try not to worry until you absolutely have a reason to worry. It's the "what ifs" that drive us nuts. So try to go on long walks, read a book, watch a comedy, color, play sudoku or a crossword. Anything to try and pass the time. You'll be in thoughts. *hugs*

• Love 4

That's great @miamama ! He sounds like a tough cookie. I hope he gets ? soon. 

So are all of you preverts ready for Summer (not the lispy resident genius of GC)?

It occurs to me people usually have different feelings about Summer depending on if it affected their work, childcare, weather situations, maybe plans, or vacations, 

• Love 5
On May 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM, valleycliffe said:

my first mamogram when in my 30's was due to a liquid substance seeping from my nipple.  i'd had a hysterectomy already so when dr. asked if i was pregnant i laughed and said no...then he booked the mamogram at the hospital for the next day.. they didn't find anything....to this day i have never found out why liquid seeped out of nipple and the doctor didn't know why either.

What medications were you on? Many can cause discharge. If you remember what you were on, look them up. That may give you your answer.

• Love 1
On 09/05/2016 at 1:10 PM, miamama said:

My dad had open heart surgery a couple of weeks ago and has had complications (has not left ICU). He has an infection and they may need to go back into surgery today. I don't know if he can handle another surgery. He's 76.  

I know it's life. I'm a grown up. I want what's best for him. Whatever life decides that is. My mom is strong. But this is so hard. I can't do anything to help him. 

I wish I could be distracted by stupid show today. But I can't. 

Sorry for this glum post. Gah I feel lost.

So sorry to hear about your dad.. hope he gets better soon.. I lost my dad to that evil fucking cancer a few years ago.

3 hours ago, crosby777 said:

So sorry to hear about your dad.. hope he gets better soon.. I lost my dad to that evil fucking cancer a few years ago.

I'm so sorry, Crosby. :(

My dad is improving, slowly but surely. I was thinking it's nice that he's got the spring/summer to get well. Not only because it's easier to get around/go for walks but because watching all this bursting of life is so inspiring.

That's great @MIAMAMA ! He sounds like a tough cookie. I hope he gets ? soon. 

He really is. He just wants to live --  and fully. 

So are all of you preverts ready for Summer (not the lispy resident genius of GC)?

It occurs to me people usually have different feelings about Summer depending on if it affected their work, childcare, weather situations, maybe plans, or vacations, 

Looking forward to the heat and to no longer driving my kids around to recitals, games etc. Plus I have a looming book deadline on July 1. So I'm looking forward to relaxing once that's done.

And nothing beats summer in Southern Ontario. Long long days, hot summer nights...

• Love 3
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 7:16 AM, Petunia13 said:

That's great @miamama ! He sounds like a tough cookie. I hope he gets ? soon. 

I'm not really a fan (no pun intended) of hot, muggy weather.  Spring and Fall are more my speed.  A friend of mine has a theory that people tend to prefer the time of year they were born.  I was born a week before Christmas, and I've always liked when it gets dark at 5pm. So maybe there's something to that theory!   

• Love 5
9 hours ago, crosby777 said:

So sorry, crosby.  It baffles me that, with everything we can do and all of this technology at our disposal (a lot of it totally useless), that we still don't have a cure for cancer.  

• Love 5

i used to love the summertime when i was younger.  used to lay in the sun for hours and used baby oil on my skin to get a great tan..now, i can't be in the sun anymore due to medications and i find it too hot.  have to have the a/c and fan going.  as a matter of fact, even in the wintertime, i have the fan on in our bedroom and the window wide open.  the husband calls the room in the winter "siberia"..but i like it that way.  oh, i was born in the summer and am a leo.

• Love 3

i used to love the summertime when i was younger.  used to lay in the sun for hours and used baby oil

I used to do that too, until the summer I spent in Hawaii. The horrible sunburn I got harmed my skin to the point where I'm still dealing with it today. But here in the PNW it was the only way my whiter than white ass could get a decent tan.

Spring and Fall are more my speed.

Same here, not a fan of extreme temps. I love fall, but it's a little bittersweet because you know winter is coming.

• Love 3

Has anyone here installed Windows 10? My computer keeps bugging me about it and now has informed me it will install later tonight. Someone told me awhile back not to because it apparently sucked.

Thoughts, opinions? I'm currently running Windows 7.

6 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I'm not really a fan (no pun intended) of hot, muggy weather.  Spring and Fall are more my speed.  A friend of mine has a theory that people tend to prefer the time of year they were born.  I was born a week before Christmas, and I've always liked when it gets dark at 5pm. So maybe there's something to that theory!   

Snaporaz, I was born within the week after Christmas and I like spring and fall the best. I lived in San Francisco for 32 years (could probably count down to the minutes and hours, miss it lots, forced out due to exploding costs) and that was, for me, the perfect weather microclimate - if I wanted warm, it was around the corner, if I wanted cooler, it wasn't much farther.  A few hot days and nights, just few enough to enjoy.  And more often than not, a cooling fog rolling in at dusk.

Now we're across the bay, about 20ish miles away, today was our third in a row over 90 with several more to come, and soon enough, several months of nothing else.  Nice yard for the dogs, FINALLY good homegrown tomatoes, Apple, peach, plum, orange and lemon trees, and I'd trade it all for that fog and what goes with it.

• Love 7

the husband and i were married for about 15 yrs when we finally had our honeymoon and we drove to san francisco then went on to reno before driving back home.  great time.  took the tour around alcatraz but didn't get to actually go on the island.. like tony bennett, i too left my heart in san francisco.

• Love 4

Interesting, the thing about liking the time of year when you were born. It's relatively true of my daughter, who was born the week before Christmas, and really likes that season, as well as fall. OTOH, she does not much like spring [which, to judge from her photos, looks much nicer in New Haven CT than it does here in TO].

Me, I was born in October [just after months were invented, I think], but I do not like fall. I love light and the shortening days and early nightfalls creep me out--then, by winter, I'm completely crabby. Don't like the cold, loathe snow, don't like the white/grey/brown colour palette. Spring is my season!

But miamama, you like stinky humid GTA summers? You are such a positive person. I just turn on the central air and say screw it.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Has anyone here installed Windows 10? My computer keeps bugging me about it and now has informed me it will install later tonight. Someone told me awhile back not to because it apparently sucked.

Thoughts, opinions? I'm currently running Windows 7.

i was running the horrible 8.1 on my laptop and then was upgraded to windows 10..

since then, i now get "blue screens" that tell me my pc has run into problems and has to shut down due to:  whea uncorrectable errors. time outs, and a whole bunch of other messages.  so, when it shuts down, i hold power key so it doesn't come back on, wait about a minute then turn it back on..

i expect soon, my laptop will end up in a rubble from being tossed against the wall but then at least i would buy another BETTER laptop than the hp i am using.

i will go back to the toshiba satellite.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, boes said:

Snaporaz, I was born within the week after Christmas and I like spring and fall the best. I lived in San Francisco for 32 years (could probably count down to the minutes and hours, miss it lots, forced out due to exploding costs) and that was, for me, the perfect weather microclimate - if I wanted warm, it was around the corner, if I wanted cooler, it wasn't much farther.  A few hot days and nights, just few enough to enjoy.  And more often than not, a cooling fog rolling in at dusk.

Now we're across the bay, about 20ish miles away, today was our third in a row over 90 with several more to come, and soon enough, several months of nothing else.  Nice yard for the dogs, FINALLY good homegrown tomatoes, Apple, peach, plum, orange and lemon trees, and I'd trade it all for that fog and what goes with it.

That sounds like a dream!  I've never been, but it's always near the top of my "must visit" list.  

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

i was running the horrible 8.1 on my laptop and then was upgraded to windows 10..

since then, i now get "blue screens" that tell me my pc has run into problems and has to shut down due to:  whea uncorrectable errors. time outs, and a whole bunch of other messages.  so, when it shuts down, i hold power key so it doesn't come back on, wait about a minute then turn it back on..

i expect soon, my laptop will end up in a rubble from being tossed against the wall but then at least i would buy another BETTER laptop than the hp i am using.

i will go back to the toshiba satellite.

I installed Windows 10 and immediately regretted it as it wasn't compatible with Netflix. I uninstalled it immediately and continue to refuse persistent offers to upgrade. I'm sure they have a newer version out now but I just don't trust it.

Here's a handy site that lets you know how to uninstall it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, pearlite said:

Interesting, the thing about liking the time of year when you were born. It's relatively true of my daughter, who was born the week before Christmas, and really likes that season, as well as fall. OTOH, she does not much like spring [which, to judge from her photos, looks much nicer in New Haven CT than it does here in TO].

Me, I was born in October [just after months were invented, I think], but I do not like fall. I love light and the shortening days and early nightfalls creep me out--then, by winter, I'm completely crabby. Don't like the cold, loathe snow, don't like the white/grey/brown colour palette. Spring is my season!

But miamama, you like stinky humid GTA summers? You are such a positive person. I just turn on the central air and say screw it.

I am finding the older I get the more heat I want (which is weird because hot flashes). But I was born in at the equator, so....you guys are on to something about weather when (and where) you were born. 

• Love 3

Thanks, guys. My computer decided to install it this morning. It's been bugging me for months to do so. So far it's okay. I'm running mozilla, but at the first sign of trouble, I'm uninstalling it.

• Love 3

I live in Chicago, and it has extremes. Summer and winter became more irritating when I started working with animals like dogs and rabbits, since it bothers them. Also Chicago has a LOT LOT of crime and that goes up in the summer. And a lot of construction which occurs in the summer. i can't imagine living in LA where you'd have long ass commutes for short distances and have to crank the AC and guzzle water in a summer just to get home. 

• Love 4