Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

You'd think raising money for various charities would fill me with warmth and purpose.

Instead, I just want to shoot myself in the face.

Aww, don't do that! We'd miss you!

Just keep telling yourself that this job is only a temporary solution, but use that feeling of wanting to shoot yourself in the face as motivation to find something else that will make you happy.

In the meantime, I can speak from experience that it helps you tolerate a crappy situation if you have something else in your life to divert your attention from the crappy situation. Pick something that you like or that relaxes you, like a painting class or yoga. Didn't you say you used to work in animal welfare? Maybe you could volunteer at your local shelter. They almost always need people to walk dogs or socialize cats.

And sometimes, just sometimes, that extra thing you do puts you in a different circle and lets you meet new people who might know about a new opportunity that might be right for you, and it just might lead you to a whole new adventure....

Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I've been in your shoes and I understand how frustrating it can be.

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 9

I got a job at the City where I live by volunteering. They looked at my resume, looked right past all my office experience and said "You're creative" (I had been a florist for years) So they put me in the Multi Media Dept. and I learned to edit and program the two T.V. channels the city has Voila, eventually I was hired. Not full time, but still.

Volunteering can be a "back door" into all kinds of jobs.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7

Thanks, guys!

I never turn down free advice or help so never feel like you have to apologize!

And actually, I think volunteering with animals is exactly what I need. I'm going to fill out the volunteer application form at the Montreal SPCA website and see what happens :-)

And I definitely need to get back into doin some cardio and yoga. With the holidays I had stopped for awhile but I think I shall do some aerobics tonight.

Thanks again!

• Love 7

for christmas, my girls gave the husband and i a gift certifcate to a resort in tofino.

i just booked our room, it is a king kitchenette which is also ocean front.

it is our anniversary while there so i am very excited. love love LOVE tofino.

this will be our 4th year at this resort...just wish they had a regular coffee maker instead of the single serve kind cause they never give enough packs for it.

• Love 5
What sweet girls you have valley!

yes, they sure are peacheslatour.

they started getting us gift certificates for our anniversary trips cause they all said we were so hard to get gifts for.

mainly because i don't wait around for christmas/birthdays whatever, if i see something i/we want i just buy it at the time.

so, one year when they were complaining about it i just said then get us a gift certificate for the hotel/resort we want to go to.

so, now every year, they just ask us, where are you going to go this year.  then i tell them.

LOL  it is never for the full amount tho, but it sure makes it more reasonable.

• Love 1

LOLOL  i took a quiz that was on my facebook page.

it was about "which legendary band do you belong to".

i thought i would get the rolling stones or bon jovi but instead i got journey...

so, based on the 3 quizzes i have taken, i am queen of the universe but mean as hell and belong to a rock band...

that would be padme amidala my star wars character, vito corrleone is my legendary screen character and now i listen to sappy love songs by journey.

• Love 3
that would be padme amidala my star wars character, vito corrleone is my legendary screen character and now i listen to sappy love songs by journey.

Jesus Christ, valley. What answers did you give to get THAT result? (asking for a friend...)

Hey Preverts, I miss you guys and all your wonderful banter. Hopefully 2016 will be the year Chuck Pratt is blown up by a rigged Roomba**, and Y&R is restored to its former glory. Or at least its semi-recent sort-of-glory.

**if anyone knows how to rig a Roomba, please pm me

• Love 9

Another interview tomorrow. This one is at some fancy, schmancy eye clinic and it's seriously freaking me out. I don't think my French is strong enough but I'll still give it a shot. Unlike my mother who thinks I'm just wasting my time and should stay home, pfft.

• Love 6

I agree with everything Klopek said x 1000. Sorry to hear you had such a bad day, Petunia *hugs*

Dog bites can be really nasty. A fb friend of mine tried to break up a fight between her dog and another dog at a dog park and ended up with a nasty bite. She needed plastic surgery on her hand and all kinds of shit. It's scary. I'm glad you didn't get too badly hurt.

I've been bitten by my fair share of birds but thankfully no dogs. I did have an Amazon parrot bite my neck and hands once and needed two techs to get him off of me.

Animals are unpredictable but I still love them like crazy, heh.

I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

• Love 4

Just wanted to say to all the Mid-Atlantic Preverts:  Stay safe and warm and don't drive if you don't have to.  It's Snowpocalypse '16!

I hope everybody is stocked up on wine, Brandy and other potables and don't forget to get ten loaves of bread and six dozen eggs, which our local stores always run out of any time we get a couple of flakes.

• Love 5

I really love my y&r forum people here. I erased my post because I sounded too negative and when I went to bed I thought how many people have difficulties professionally. My great grandmother was a prostitute. My great grandfather was one of her johns from her reservation. So I was being a asshole to even complain.

And my Lisa Rinna swollen lips are still huge and dark bruised LOL. So that made me laugh, my trout mouth look today.

• Love 8

Just wanted to say to all the Mid-Atlantic Preverts: Stay safe and warm and don't drive if you don't have to. It's Snowpocalypse '16!

I hope everybody is stocked up on wine, Brandy and other potables and don't forget to get ten loaves of bread and six dozen eggs, which our local stores always run out of any time we get a couple of flakes.

Don't forget the toilet paper, peacheslatour! If there's any left, that is.

Stay inside and be safe everyone! Just call Dylan if you get stuck....

And if you fall down or get frostbitten, don't worry. Stitch is working the night shift. Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 6

I dunno, those are tough choices. A lot depends on how much income you actually require.  If you have another source of income (husband, alimony or some other kind of settlement, family money) then take the one you feel most comfortable with, even if it is a long commute.  My last job before I retired was and hour and fifteen minutes and I got quite used to it.  I took a back road that was very pretty and I enjoyed the decompression periods between home and work.  But, if you are supporting yourself, you should think seriously about the full time gig.  I don't think you will have any problem getting along with people and it's always good to acquire new skills. The person who interviewed you sounds like she may be the one with the problem :)

• Love 8

jewel21

Gah, I don't know what to do.

Do what makes your heart happy, and what makes you smile.  It's not always as simple as it sounds, but in the long run, your happiness controls how you relate to the rest of the world.  Good luck.

• Love 6

Thank you, everyone!

I was offered the other job as well today and told her I would think about it and get back to her by tomorrow.

I've been dwelling on it all day and I believe I know which job I will choose.

The part-time job is really the one that is calling out to me the most. And everyone I speak to about it can tell that is the one I seem most fond of, but it is also the one that they can picture me working at more.

I'm currently trying to see if the Fundraising place will allow me to work only one day a week to help supplement the income I'd be missing until I could find something else to cover the missing hours.

There is of course a part of me that is looking to the future, I live with my grandfather so I should be focusing more on the full-time job, but I do have money saved up should the worse happen, and I will be getting money as well.

And, no one says I need to stay at this part-time job forever. Even if I stay just a year, it's still a year of receptionist experience that could open the door for me to get another possibly full-time job in the future.

Anyway, I'm babbling, but thank you everyone for the support and advice! It is very much appreciated and I don't know what I would do without all you wonderful Preverts.

• Love 6

good luck jewel21 with whichever job you decide on..

it's tough when the job you like is only part time.

at one time, in order to support themselves, my daughters (2 of them anyway) each had 3 part-time jobs but it didn't last forever.

sometimes, being happy and gaining experience is worth the price you have to pay.

loved when one of them worked for brussels chocolates in vancouver..

• Love 6

My daughter did that, too, Valley.  She worked a few nights at a skating rink, 4 days a week at 6-Flags, and 3 days a week interning at American Airlines, when they first moved to Texas.  Long hours, and she was living at home, so she saved like crazy.  The AA did turn into a 25-year full time position, which she kept until 9/11, and they started cutting back to avoid bankruptcy.  Now she works for the police department and will have two retirements in the next 15 years.  It all works out in the long run, if you're not afraid of hard work.  She, like Jewel, had trouble deciding what she wanted to do, so she just did all three.  In time, she outgrew 6-Flags and the skating rink, and the winter closing at 6-Flags allowed her to expand the interning at AA.  I hope Jewel finds her special spot, too. 

Edited to say yummy for the chocolates.

Edited by movinon
  • Love 5

yes movinon, they did what they had to do..

at various times, their part time jobs were flippin burgers at mcdonald's, working for daisy maid, making chocolates and selling them at brussels choc., pumped gas, housekeeper jobs for a motel, working as wait staff, prep cooks, dishwashers..

my three girls have great work ethics and they all have great jobs they love and are good at..

well, for the most part love..

• Love 4

I am such an idiot. After writing my posts above a couple days later (Sunday) I was alone in the salon and was attacked and bit pretty bad on my chest and knocked down. I went to the ER and they did an X-ray no broken bones but my chest is cut up and completely black and I have bruising on my back, and I'm having nightmares.

My boss thinks its me like I'm not noticing if a dog is stressed or unstable enough before they come in or get in this state. I don't think I wanna do this anymore. It's too dangerous especially for the pay. And the management in this industry I've noticed in this salon and others Ive worked in is very cold and self serving.

• Love 4

Awww, Petunia, I'm sorry to hear that *hugs*

It's funny how it's always the "attackee" that gets the blame. I mentioned once that I was attacked by an Amazon. He never should have been put in boarding, and there was a note saying he would go nuts and to keep him in the hospital area. But, the techs didn't heed the warning and put him in boarding anyway and he attacked me when I opened his cage to give him food. And yet, during my eval I was told that I hadn't learned how to properly read the bird's behavior and got bit.

Animals are unpredictable. One minute their behavior could indicate they are fine and the next they can snap. I can understand why you would be traumatized by your experience. It is completely understandable and I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt. Once you get bit, you are naturally more apprehensive and it's hard to feel calm or safe around an animal. Especially when the attack is still fresh.

I definitely understand why you would consider quitting. If the money just isn't worth the possible scars, and you don't feel safe or find the staff cold, then you should consider moving on. Maybe try to apply to some other place?. Basically, do what your heart is telling you to do.

I'm sorry you're going through this and I wish I had more words of comfort to offer you.  Hugs, again.

• Love 7

Oh Petunia! I feel so badly for you! I'm just thankful that your physical injuries aren't too serious, that will all heal. The emotional ones are harder to get over.Must have been a helluva fall you took! Yikes!

IA with jewel that animals are very unpredictable  and if management is being assholish about this type of issue then it very well could be time to move on. 

• Love 4

Petunia, I'm so sorry - this is beyond frightening.  I don't find myself surprised that they blamed you  - this country is fast becoming a victim-blaming society.  And I can identify with you, jewel, about animals being unpredictable.  My youngest son had a huge cockatoo named Eric, that we had for years and he was great with me.  He ran along the back of the couch and held up his feet, one at a time so I could cut and file his "toenails".  He was a loving bird, talked, gave kisses, and nobody was afraid of him.  One day, I was stoking his head when another son opened the door and walked in. Eric bit down on my hand between my ring finger and my "bird" finger - not a snap (just a warning) because he stopped at the tendon. My son had to pry his beak loose with both hands, to get him to let go.  17 stitches later, the doctor told me I was very lucky to have not lost the use of those fingers.  We never knew what caused the behavior, and he never did anything like that again.  Animals can be very rewarding, but if something startles them, you just never know.  Don't even get me started on horses - had my ass bit by my own horse when I was younger. Also, I was bitten severely by my grandson's cat 4 times last year while my grandson was deployed - a cat I had lived with since he was born and normally loved me.  Each time, something outside startled or threatened him and he attacked me.  Needless to say, he has been sent home to live with his Daddy.   At my ancient age, I have decided to keep only my Australian Rosy Bourke, who is sweet and old - I think I am scarred up enough.  Good luck to both of you in whatever you decide to do. 

• Love 5

Oh Petunia, I'm so sorry that happened to you.  All of us who have worked with or even just owned animals have to remember that they are just that- animals.  And movinon is right, it doesn't matter how long you've known an animal or how much they love you, a startled animal will lash out, flight or fight instinct takes over.  The people you work for are morons if they blame you.  The Vet I worked for once fired another vet who worked there because he made a tech bathe a well known vicious cat and it tore her to shreds.  He did  NOT blame the tech, he put the blame where it belonged.  That's why we all loved him.  RIP Dr. Wegner.

• Love 5

Petunia, I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries, but also glad they are not more serious (although they are certainly bad enough!!). Even the most experienced handler can misjudge at times. I personally know a trainer who was bitten last week, and anyone would be hard pressed to say she doesn't understand dog behavior or that she doesn't know how to watch for signals. Sometimes things happen too quickly, sometimes we misread, sometimes... hey, it's life. The best we can do is go over the scenario in hindsight and see what signals we missed so we can be more alert going foreward.

What's not okay is your manager's reaction. Hang in there. I also hope you have adequate pain control. Hugs to you.

• Love 6