Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

And the SPCA emailed me asking if I wanted to volunteer. Apparently some space has opened up. The thing is, I need to commit at least 3 hours a week, fixed schedule (for at least 3 months) and I don't know if I can because I will be looking for another job and I'm not sure what day/hours I can commit to them.

I wouldn't stress out too much about this.

If you really want to do it, let them know the situation up front. It's been my experience as a volunteer that organizations are willing to be flexible. They kinda have to be, considering the whole not-paying-you thing.

And once they see how fantastic you are, they won't want to lose you!

So go ahead and commit to a schedule, saying that this schedule will probably change once you find your new job.

Good luck!

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 7

If you really want to do it, let them know the situation up front. It's been my experience as a volunteer that organizations are willing to be flexible.

This has been my experience as well.  It sounds like you are very young, but you have more power than you think.  When you are doing someone a favor, they don't get to dictate terms to you.  If they really care about the animals, as I assume they do, they'll be thankful for any help they can get.  Stand tall, you're awesome!

• Love 6

I haven't been posted much lately as I've been getting a second book ready for on-line and paperback. The first was a mystery comedy and the second book was the first one written - a nice romance. Jens Mitchell - my pen name  - is a real task master.

• Love 6

I don't think I could work in an animal shelter. I'd be on Animal Hoarders in a month. I do my part by trapping all the stray cats in the area and doing the spay/shots/release thing with the clipped ear so they don't get picked up. Not a perfect solution, but I'm in Florida and everyone in the development understands that we'd be ankle deep in rats and snakes with no cats. (Two swamps and a fruit warehouse near-by) As an expert told me "For everything they kill - they keep a thousand away"

the guys are so well fed they're healthy and some are in their teens. Yes, I'm the crazy cat lady. My friends even say I look like the Lego Cat Lady.

• Love 7

Congrats on the new book and on being a published author, Crowsworks.

I worked in a bookstore for 10 years before the animal hospital. Your pen name sounds familiar. I wonder if I ever shelved your book?

I haven't been posted much lately as I've been getting a second book ready for on-line and paperback. The first was a mystery comedy and the second book was the first one written - a nice romance. Jens Mitchell - my pen name - is a real task master.

Worst Impressions ? I read the review just now! Sounds fun!

• Love 1

I'm in Florida and everyone in the development understands that we'd be ankle deep in rats and snakes with no cats.

I'm not in Florida, but I second that. I always like to see cats hanging out near where I live, best rodent deterrent there is.
  • Love 2

Anyone else feeling blah lately? I don't know if it's the weather, but the last few weeks all I want to do is lie in bed, surf the net, talk to my bird, and nap. I'm barely even watching TV anymore and I appear to have given up on reading. Go figure.

• Love 2

I'm sorry, guys, but it was in the eighties here yesterday, might be why I forgot to watch Show.  Also we are remodeling the bathroom, ugh, much scraping off wallpaper and painting. We were at it from 7:am until 10:pm last night, had ice cream for dinner.

• Love 5

I certainly do jewel but I have fibromyalgia and the LOUSY weather we're having isn't helping. :P

It's been snowing and raining here the last couple of days. And it's cold.

My aunt has fibromyalgia, PatsyandEddie. So not fun :(

don't have fibromyalgia but i do suffer from RA and the weather (wet, cold and windy) really did a number on me too.

even had to start using my cane again. :(

• Love 2

Hi, everybody! I haven't been here in awhile. Between life stuff and kind of giving up on Show...

Catching up on the thread, congrats on all the new jobs and the new puppy! What a cutie.

The real gut clench for me was losing Merle Haggard. I knew he'd been sick, because I follow his son on social media, but somehow I still thought he'd live forever. I'll always regret not going to see him and Willie when they were on tour last fall. *sniffle*

• Love 5

I dont know if I'll be around much anymore or at all. This site doesnt work on my mobile device anymore and I'm literally at the library on a dell desktop right now and it's um interesting, very busy and cluttered. I'm actually considering purchasing an Iphone but I'm not sure it'll work on or be compatible with that and even if so, be readable and less hard to navigate. It like theres either seas of text or things very broken out so it takes forever to scroll. anyhow if I'm gone forever it was fun. I obviously enjoyed the site by the hours I spent on it daily and thousands of posts per yr I wrote and liked many of you.

• Love 6

Aww, Petunia, maybe they're still working out the kinks?  It would suck to lose a good Prevert.

Hope things improve with the site so that you can stick around. If not, all the best to you.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Aww, Petunia, maybe they're still working out the kinks?  It would suck to lose a good Prevert.

Hope things improve with the site so that you can stick around. If not, all the best to you.

And I'm looking at buying the SE so i dont think even that will help. other people have said on twitter and blogs this upgrade doesnt work with some smart phones. a small one like that i cant imagine so since it is verboten on ipod touch.

even on this library's desktop its weird like a thread page only shows a post at a time its all bracketed out huge so - scroll city. ( it would take me all day to read a couple pages of a rh thread.) however the home or main page it shows almost every show underneath each letter and how much activity that category has and uses diffferent fonts. so busy and difficult to load on the machine or a dyslexic to read.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy tablet, and I'm not really having many major issues.  It's a little harder to move around the site than it used to be, but the posts are looking ok. 

Good luck!

• Love 5