Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Going off topic but I had to tell everyone that I am watching The Waltons from 1977 and Melody Thomas before she married a Scott ( Nikki) is on it. Very young and so so beautiful!! Playing Ben's boss's daughter and his crush.LOL 

• Love 6

Yest. 4:18 pm

Going off topic but I had to tell everyone that I am watching The Waltons from 1977 and Melody Thomas before she married a Scott ( Nikki) is on it. Very young and so so beautiful!! Playing Ben's boss's daughter and his crush.LOL

She always reminded me of one of those antique dolls.

• Love 3

I suffered through not one but two Waltons Thanksgiving movies, and oh how I would have loved to see Melody or anyone else vaguely noteworthy. The only one I recall was that chick from Love Boat. Captain Steubing's daughter. Anyhoo, did Melody Thomas Not-Yet-A-Scott have that lovely long blonde hair or did they make her dowdy to fit in?

• Love 2

So I've been watching The Jeffersons on Antenna TV in the evenings (it's a great show; I didn't often watch it when it was first run), and Jay Hammer, the actor who played Fletcher Reade on GL back in the day, had a starring role one season as the biracial son of the Willises! He was white, and their daughter Jenny was black, and George is always calling him a zebra. Man, they said a lot of things on those old shows that could never be said on TV now - thank goodness!

• Love 2

I wonder if a movie like Blazing Saddles would get made today. Probably not.

No way. When I worked at City Hall in Chicago a bunch of us were discussing movies and that came up and everyone was like that would never fly now.

• Love 3

i haven't done any christmas shopping at all..

i will probably start this weekend.

i always buy a gift for the charity hampers that are given out but it is usually for a young child.

this year i am giving a "gift card" for a teenager to get.

it was mentioned by various charities that the teens always seem to get left out and i don't know what to get them cause i don't know what they have so i figured a gift card would be perfect.

• Love 4

So I've been watching The Jeffersons on Antenna TV in the evenings (it's a great show; I didn't often watch it when it was first run), and Jay Hammer, the actor who played Fletcher Reade on GL back in the day, had a starring role one season as the biracial son of the Willises! He was white, and their daughter Jenny was black, and George is always calling him a zebra. Man, they said a lot of things on those old shows that could never be said on TV now - thank goodness!

Last year I saw an ep of an old cop show called Adam 12 and found myself clutching all the pearls at the awful Mexican stereotypes. But that was nothing compared to The Mask of Fu Manchu. When one of the characters casually used a word (that I will not repeat here) to describe East Asians I actually yelled at him (via the tv screen). "Sir, everyone heard that!"

Petunia, can you pass some of that Xmas spirit over here? I can't seem to wrap my head around it being December 10 already....

Valleycliffe, we used to do the Secret Santa thing for families in the community and thumbs way up on gift cards for teens. Way, way up.

• Love 5

I got a job. It's a contract job with the possibility of permanence after 3-4 months so you would think I'd be excited, right?

But it's a fundraising job over the phone where I read a script all day and try and convince people to give more money to a number of charities we are representing.

But it's full-time for now. It's just my agent and I agreed on the hours being from 10-5:30 but now the client is saying I have to work 1:30-9 every night if I want full-time hours which is not what I agreed upon. My agent said she would re-open my file and see about finding me something else but it's not for sure and the jobs she was suggesting (reception) I think I need to be able to write perfectly in French as well, which I can't.

I miss my old job, guys. I miss working with animals.

• Love 6

my 14 yr old grandson is autistic and has been the victim of bullying since the 4th grade by the same boy and his friends.

he is in grade 9 now but the bullies go to the same school.  they have been reprimanded but they do stuff on the sly to him pushing his buttons and trying to make him have a meltdown.  it is funny to them when they do and get the reaction they want from him..

i was on my facebook page just a bit ago and someone shared these words of wisdom from yogi bajhan.

If you are willing to look at another person's behaviour towards you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all. 

after he read it twice, he smiled and just said "i got it"..

• Love 12

I would like to take a moment to express my genuine heartfelt gratitude for all the wonderful folks who hang out here on this marvelous board. It has been an arduous year and you have all helped me maintain my sense of humour and enduring enjoyment of Y&R - whilst weathering my disdain of SHOW!    

To quote from Queen Elizabeth's notable annus horribilis speech of 1992,  "[2015] is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure".  From the personal files: my Mother's wellness has declined at an alarmingly rapid pace this past year. As her caregiver, I am bereft with the awareness, that sooner rather than later, her requirements will exceed my ability to provide them fully for her. 

Y&R has been pure unadulterated rubbish. Show broadcasts in my region at 4:30pm - coincides with Mum's busy time 'helping' me prepare dinner -  we have Show on in the background, yet I never know wtf is going on.  To keep up, I stop by here with my tea and my fractured thoughts, often to discover... no one knows wtf is going on anymore LOL.   It gives me a token sense of peace to know that it is SHOW that is stupid, not me!  : D

So, I thank you one and all, for the laughs, the blithely sarcastic observances and cynical asides, the hilarious commentary that many of you provide with much appreciated constancy.  I always exit these pages brighter than when I entered. Always!  Thank you Everyone.

Edited by klopek
  • Love 15

And a Happy Fesitvus for the rest us... let the airing of grievances commence lol.

Peaches, thank you. My warmest regards to you and your husband. : )

I got a lotta problems with you people.......

/All the best to you too, Sweetie!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4

my 14 yr old grandson is autistic and has been the victim of bullying since the 4th grade by the same boy and his friends.

he is in grade 9 now but the bullies go to the same school.  they have been reprimanded but they do stuff on the sly to him pushing his buttons and trying to make him have a meltdown.  it is funny to them when they do and get the reaction they want from him..

i was on my facebook page just a bit ago and someone shared these words of wisdom from yogi bajhan.

If you are willing to look at another person's behaviour towards you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all. 

after he read it twice, he smiled and just said "i got it"..

Valley, somehow I missed this until just now - I'm sorry that your grandson has been bullied for so long. My 14yo son is also autistic, but has had only good experiences at school...why is your grandson's school allowing the bullying to continue? This makes me sad :(

• Love 6

Makes me sad, too. But that quote Valley. Goodness I'm putting it up on my wall. :)

And cheers Klopek. Sorry it's been a rough year. This show was always a refuge/escape for me. My life has been pretty wonderful of late but still it's a nice little place to go, just me (and now my preverts). It's still providing something, or I wouldn't bother with it. But this board is something special.

• Love 7

Fundraising sucks, guys.

Happy Holidays to everyone though! I'm glad I finally came out of hiding and started posting on this board. It's been a wonderful experience!

We're sure glad you're here.

Prevents gotta stick together....or the Newman's win..

You got that??

• Love 12

Valley, somehow I missed this until just now - I'm sorry that your grandson has been bullied for so long. My 14yo son is also autistic, but has had only good experiences at school...why is your grandson's school allowing the bullying to continue? This makes me sad :(

i don't know but from what i can see, he is just like "eddie haskell"..

if you are of an age, you will know exactly what i mean.

• Love 5

As I wind down my Christmas shopping, I know exactly what I want to get for Chuckles. Anybody want to chip in and send him a career counselor? Because this whole TV-show-writing thing isn't at all in his wheelhouse.

As for JFP, I was thinking about a Ouija board, so she can contact all of the shows she's killed.

• Love 11

As I wind down my Christmas shopping, I know exactly what I want to get for Chuckles. Anybody want to chip in and send him a career counselor? Because this whole TV-show-writing thing isn't at all in his wheelhouse.

As for JFP, I was thinking about a Ouija board, so she can contact all of the shows she's killed.

You're so much kinder than I.  I want to send Pratt to Camp Crystal Lake for some much needed (by us)  R & R.  There's a lovely woman, Mrs. Voohees, who will make him feel like a new man, and her little boy Jason could be the son he never had.

Or, there's this great B&B on Elm Street that might be just perfect for him.......

For JFP, I dunno....maybe a little libidizone and a weekend locked up with Billy Clyde Tuggle?

• Love 11

I suffered through not one but two Waltons Thanksgiving movies, and oh how I would have loved to see Melody or anyone else vaguely noteworthy. The only one I recall was that chick from Love Boat. Captain Steubing's daughter. Anyhoo, did Melody Thomas Not-Yet-A-Scott have that lovely long blonde hair or did they make her dowdy to fit in?

Just now saw your post Glow and sorry for the late reply. Melody was very chic and sophisticated,dressed in the fashionable suits and outfits from the early 40's (I got the feeling it was before World War 2) and was so beautiful with her long blond hair.She was stunning!!

Doppelgänger Alert: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is on TCM now, and the young George Segal looks just like BuJ/Billy!

GS was so handsome and rascally! He does look like Burgess J. Great movie!

She always reminded me of one of those antique dolls.

Good description. Her delicate facial features were so exquisite back in the day!

Edited by Slowpokey
  • Love 4

i haven't done any christmas shopping at all..

i will probably start this weekend.

i always buy a gift for the charity hampers that are given out but it is usually for a young child.

this year i am giving a "gift card" for a teenager to get.

it was mentioned by various charities that the teens always seem to get left out and i don't know what to get them cause i don't know what they have so i figured a gift card would be perfect.

We do this at my church every Christmas. It's called Adopt A Family. These are families in need in my community. I try to pick one that has teens.They list simple things they need and it is not a lot to me but I'm sure very important to them.After the usual stuff like body lotions,perfume,after shave,socks,hats and gloves I always add some gift certificates so they can pick out something special that they would like.. 

• Love 9

I just want to wish all you Preverts a Happy Fuckin New Year!!!

Anybody got any spiffy plans for tonight?  We're gonna do the same thing we do every year- stay home and drink champagne and see if we can make it to midnight.  Spoiler Alert:  We never do.

I hope 2016 kicks 2015's ass so hard!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7

happy new year to all of the wonderful preverts...

LOL  peacheslatour, i will be doing the same thing i do every year on new years eve, i'll be in bed by 8:30 pm guaranteed..

the last time i saw 12 midnight on a new years eve was for the millenium and we were at a resort with some of the family ..

it was a beach resort and the hubby and i were walking down to the surf and when we turned around to go back to the cabin, we noticed a dark figure sideling up to it so the hubby yelled at it asking what they were doing.  LOL  they said oh, sorry, thought this was the cabin we (the prowlers) were staying in and hightailed it away..  they had been peeking in our window cause the light was left on and our stuff was laying all over..doors were thankfully locked..

• Love 5

I just want to wish all you Preverts a Happy Fuckin New Year!!!

I hope 2016 kicks 2015's ass so hard!

2016 has had enough of 2015's shit and has 'em tied to a chair in the basement and is giving it one last cigarette.

• Love 6

Fundraising sucks, guys.

Happy Holidays to everyone though! I'm glad I finally came out of hiding and started posting on this board. It's been a wonderful experience!

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the insanity that is the board.  I have been hiding out since before Thanksgiving, but I miss the snark so much that I am back, although my time is more limited than before.  I am trying to catch up, and look forward to posting with you.

• Love 5

Where is our Canadian? Anybody know? She took a break last summer and hasn't been back since, I don't think. Her son is an airline pilot here, and last week there were a few incidents involving big Air Canada planes that I wanted to ask her if he was flying any of them! (Nothing too serious - one incident involved a passenger assaulting a flight attendant on a flight to India, necessitating the plane's return to Toronto, and the other was a flight from Shanghai hitting severe turbulence over Alaska and having to divert to Calgary.)

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the insanity that is the board.  I have been hiding out since before Thanksgiving, but I miss the snark so much that I am back, although my time is more limited than before.  I am trying to catch up, and look forward to posting with you.

Thank you so much, movinon!

I look forward to posting with you as well and I'm glad you're back from your hiatus!

• Love 2

Where is our Canadian? Anybody know? She took a break last summer and hasn't been back since, I don't think. Her son is an airline pilot here, and last week there were a few incidents involving big Air Canada planes that I wanted to ask her if he was flying any of them! (Nothing too serious - one incident involved a passenger assaulting a flight attendant on a flight to India, necessitating the plane's return to Toronto, and the other was a flight from Shanghai hitting severe turbulence over Alaska and having to divert to Calgary.)

I have private messaged with her since I have been on this board, but she has deleted all those messages - sounds ominous.  She is a serious poster, rather than a snarker, and I located her back at the original board where I met her.  However, she hasn't posted there since early November, and nobody seems to know anything.  I have messages out here and at the other board.  Will let you know if I hear anything - as most of you know, the holidays are not easy for her.  God knows the show is bad enough to drive the best of us away - sucking raw these days.

• Love 1