Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I started reading this thread because I am trying to not watch the show, and wow, what great stories you all have of your soap watching history!  This whole not watching thing for me is something I did with any soaps I ever watched, for decades at a time in some case (GH), except for OLTL and Ryan's Hope.  Those were my true loves and it really hurt when they went off the air.  It's strange how you can get a connection to one soap over another.  Not that I didn't get annoyed with storylines, but I would never consider not watching.

During the 70s, growing up on a farm, we would come in for lunch and watch AMC--my dad loved Phoebe and her calling Mona a strumpet and a trollop.  It was great lunchtime entertainment. I also was hooked by Erica Kane.   Also Ryan's Hope was on at that time so that was where I got hooked on that show.  Eventually I discovered OLTL and started watching when Joe Riley knew he was going to die and he picked Clint to replace him at the paper and as Viki's husband. I think Viki had just given birth to Joey.  I was a teenager during this time.  Eventually my mother and I got hooked on Y and R because it was on after school so we could watch it together.  I was not a fan of the Bell style at all.  Too theatrical, too slow, too dark (as in lighting), especially compared to the grittiness of RH and OLTL.  But I did get sucked in by Katherine driving Philip to his death, and even the Nicky, Pricktor stuff.  I remember when Paul and Nicky were in the cult.  I lost interest in Y and R and dumped it for probably almost 20 years, but would keep up with the storylines because my mom continued to watch it, so when I would go visit I would catch up.  I got sucked back in during the Phyllis Diane wars, which I enjoyed.  I have only stayed with it because of PB and GT now as Phyllis.

I abandoned GH a long time ago, probably 20 years between.  I found it to be really craptastic, and just didn't care about it anymore so stopped watching it until they cancelled my beloved OLTL so I went back to GH out of desperation.  I must say, I don't actually hate it right now.  And Billy Miller is there.  Unfortunately so is Michelle Stafford.

As for Days, my sister watched it in the 80s so when I would go visit her I would sort of get caught up in the storylines and I never actually followed the show as a regular viewer until that storyline where the serial killer was killing everyone in town, all the veteran characters.  I tuned in just because I couldn't believe a show would do that, and I was right, but they hooked me.  I am close to dumping it now because of the pain of watching Abigail consume the show, but if that changes I might hang on!  And I never watched B/B and considered it to be the most ridiculous show ever from what little I knew, especially the horrible acting of Ron Moss as the main character, but they did have John McCook and Susan Flannery.  Everything about it seemed so totally unrealistic such that I never tuned in at all, but now that the soaps are disappearing I decided I should start watching it in case it is the only one left. It is quite laughable.   And yet, they have me hooked for a while at least.  It has a very creepy incestuous vibe though, amongst the characters.  We'll see.

I too remember watching Dark Shadows as a child after school and it was very campy, but not so much like a soap to me.  I loved the stories that related more to real life in the actual soaps and did not love some of the crazy adventures on GH (ice machines and aliens) or on OLTL (eterna and time travel).  I do get annoyed that new writers come on these shows and forget the rich history of the characters and just completely change it--so unnecessary and lazy on the part of the writers.  

• Love 6

One of my first memories was mom watching Secret Storm and Edge of Night? maybe Guiding Light. Anyway a big thing in the 15minute days was 'losing babies'. Hey... 50's. Anyway I heard my mom mention that someone we knew lost her baby. My mom found me sobbing on the porch. Between the soaps and mom I couldn't understand how so many people could lose a baby. Wouldn't they cry and get returned. Between worrying about nuclear  bombs (TV was full of that) I worried about poor little babies who couldn't find their way home. I was one creepy little post toddler.

• Love 3

Poor crows - crying for the lost babies - how sweet.  I do remember all the bomb stuff and it scared the shit out of me.  We even had "air raid" drills in school, and we had to get under our desks.  That was sure gonna protect you from a bomb - Yep.

• Love 3

All my friends loved Dark Shadows. I went home with a couple of friends when I was about 8 years old, and they immediately put on the show. I will never forget the episode because it scared me half to death and gave me nightmares for weeks. The episode featured a bride, who when she lifted her veil, her face was all bloody. In fact, I still can't watch, even knowing now, at 55 years old, that it's all make believe. Of course I also can't watch any horror movie because it stays with me forever lol! Yeah I'm just a wuss.

I was easily frightened as well, but I still loved Dark Shadows & poor Barnebas. He made the show for me with the live filming oops, such as going to bite a pretty neck only to feel his teeth and whip out his dentures fangs. Or slam a door only to have it bounce open 3 times, when a hand reached in to close the door the final time...

I was in college when Luke & Laura were the great love story on GH, many skipping classes to watch it in the student lounge. The one I watched more often was Y&R since I didn't need to skip classes since it was on during lunch. I loved the original Victor, long before that story got old and EB corrupted the show. I pulled for Jill against the drunk Mrs. Chancellor and loved the storyline years later that made them mother/daughter. I hate how they are treating the Chancellor legacy now.

I have little hope that Y&R will survive EB & the piss poor story lines/writing. I feel sad about that, like watching a dear friend destroying themselves in addiction. Even with the cheap sets, they can make so much with GOOD writing. Look at Dark Shadows, that even today is remembered fondly despite missing fangs & doors bouncing open.

• Love 3

I was way too young to notice any gaffes on DS and even when my friend tried to get me to watch a an adult to see just how corny it was, I still saw it through a scared 8-year-old's eyes. Like I said, I'm a wuss lol!

• Love 2

I was way too young to notice any gaffes on DS and even when my friend tried to get me to watch a an adult to see just how corny it was, I still saw it through a scared 8-year-old's eyes. Like I said, I'm a wuss lol!

Not a wuss at all. You see it through a child's eye. Even at my ripe old age, I can't watch the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. Again, through a child's eye. (But next time, watch for Barnabas' missing fangs...)

That's funny because I'm the opposite. As a kid, I wasn't fazed by the monkeys or movies/TV shows where potential harm could come to an animal. As an adult? I can't even watch 101 Dalmations anymore lol!

But if I ever have occasion to try and watch DS, I'll look for the gaffes :)

I was easily frightened as well, but I still loved Dark Shadows & poor Barnebas. He made the show for me with the live filming oops, such as going to bite a pretty neck only to feel his teeth and whip out his dentures fangs. Or slam a door only to have it bounce open 3 times, when a hand reached in to close the door the final time...

Even after they went to color film, the sets were still shabbily great.  I remember watching with my son one summer when he was still in high school and some cable channel had it on in syndication, we were always cracking up about "the blue candles".  They had these blue candles on every set, in every house and even in the that seaside tavern where all the nefarious stuff went down. The producers probably got a bitchin' deal on blue candles. My son's theory was that they were just left over from the black and white days, when no one would be able to see what color they were.

• Love 5

Even after they went to color film, the sets were still shabbily great.  I remember watching with my son one summer when he was still in high school and some cable channel had it on in syndication, we were always cracking up about "the blue candles".  They had these blue candles on every set, in every house and even in the that seaside tavern where all the nefarious stuff went down. The producers probably got a bitchin' deal on blue candles. My son's theory was that they were just left over from the black and white days, when no one would be able to see what color they were

My fave is still the legendary scene where a woman jumped off a 'cliff' and bounced back up into view.

Even after they went to color film, the sets were still shabbily great.  I remember watching with my son one summer when he was still in high school and some cable channel had it on in syndication, we were always cracking up about "the blue candles".  They had these blue candles on every set, in every house and even in the that seaside tavern where all the nefarious stuff went down. The producers probably got a bitchin' deal on blue candles. My son's theory was that they were just left over from the black and white days, when no one would be able to see what color they were

My fave is still the legendary scene where a woman jumped off a 'cliff' and bounced back up into view.

• Love 3

I like your phrase of earlier shift to fall, stewed. Right now we are hot and muggy for another week but the subtle and not so subtle changes are there. The sunlight seems different , more crickets chirping, some trees are shedding their leaves and dusk arrives earlier. I look forward to each seasonal change personally even though they wreak havoc with my fibro. Each season brings it's own special joy.

The geese and ducks I mentioned fly overhead on their way to a mass grouping. This will go on for several weeks before they make a mass exodus. I have two large ponds that have a variety of migratory visitors in spring and fall. I've become an avid bird and wildlife observer. I too feel sorry for the animals in extreme weather conditions.

I would take a snowstorm any day over a hurricane!

• Love 3
Morrow says, “Our fans are very, very, very loyal to us, but our show, we do our best to tell stories that are about love and loss and family dynamics, we don’t have a lot of stunts and crazy that soaps are known for at times.”

da phuck?  joshua, are you as dense as your character or is it you just don't watch the show ur on?

what a stupid erroneous thing to say, show is ALL shock and awe, crazy stunts and ooc characters.

ummm, and exactly WHERE is the love on the show?  oh, ur SICK coupling i guess is what ur talking about...

• Love 6

Canucks - I just saw three people walking past my house carrying an NDP lawn sign :D

Can I share something with you guys? I have needed a new cell phone for months - right now I have a stupid Samsung Galaxy Ace, which I don't like at all because I dislike Android, but it was cheap when I got it two years ago, and now it only stays powered on if I keep it plugged in - anyway, I have saved up a bit of money, and it was my birthday two weeks ago and I got some more $$ for that, and I ordered a new iPhone 6s and I'm stupidly excited about it SQUEEEE

Edited by Capricasix
  • Love 9

congrats and happy late birthday capricasix.

LOL  i can only make and answer phone calls on my cell (very very basic lg one) and i still don't know how to program a number into it.

and even if i did, i don't know how to call up the number to use...sad, i know...

my daughter loves hers tho.  she also has an iphone and it's amazing what it can do.

• Love 4

I want an iPhone too it seems all the "cool kids" have either and iphone or galaxy. But I am just not ready to go to contract i'm paying $35 a month for unlimited everything text, minutes, and data but they cap data use at 2mb with Virgin Moblie. 

• Love 1

Canucks - I just saw three people walking past my house carrying an NDP lawn sign :D

Can I share something with you guys? I have needed a new cell phone for months - right now I have a stupid Samsung Galaxy Ace, which I don't like at all because I dislike Android, but it was cheap when I got it two years ago, and now it only stays powered on if I keep it plugged in - anyway, I have saved up a bit of money, and it was my birthday two weeks ago and I got some more $$ for that, and I ordered a new iPhone 6s and I'm stupidly excited about it SQUEEEE

Elections? Oh yeah. Okay.

I have an iPhone 6 Grande--the big one--is that a 6s?. I really enjoy it, and found that once I got used to the larger one, I didn't enjoy using my daughter's regular size iPhone 6.

In the US, where she's at grad school, of course, our phone contracts are no good, so we had to set her up with an LG and T Mobile. She's always had iPhones, and so far says the LG is not fun.

• Love 2

Anyone else having signs of fall where they live? I have returning geese and ducks along with some foliage changes. Yikes!

"When the frost is on the pumpkin and the moss is in the well, that's when the  squirrels come a'laughing."

-Overton Wakefield Jones

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2

LOLOL  canadians, i was on my facebook page, and i saw a pic of steven harpers face superimposed over donald trumps..

hilarious, just picture steve with trumps hairdon't..

i also posted under it that i kinda sorta thought he was more a shrub..

(umm, if you're not sure what that is, it's a little bush ;))

• Love 4

I am watching a really interesting show on Thinkbright (part of PBS) called Pioneers of Television, and this episode is called Primetime Soaps. It talks about the history of Dallas, Dynasty, and Knots Landing, and the impact that the shows continue to have on TV today. (It's obviously a few years old, because Larry Hagman is in it.) He was the first actor to negotiate a salary of $100K per episode, and he joked that when the Friends actors negotiated a million dollars per episode apiece, they owed him a cut! :D It also talked about the "Who Shot JR?" worldwide phenomenon.

I have fond memories of watching Dallas and Dynasty as a child with my mom - Dallas was on Friday nights, and Dynasty was on Wednesdays. I never really got into Knots Landing, though. I remember Falcon Crest as another primetime soap, but I guess it didn't have the same cultural impact as Dallas and Dynasty.

• Love 2

Hey, Preverts, I was thinking this morning about how I ended up here with all of you lovely people,  It all started with Bates Motel.  I was looking for a re-cap after having missed the end of an episode and I stumbled across Clifton Jacobs.  His brilliant re-caps were on TWoP and I found my people.  I was on the forums over then and when they shut down we were directed here.

How did you all find this site, I know many of us are former TWoPpers, so maybe the question should be how did you end up there?

• Love 1

I think I followed a link to TWoP to read a recap of one of the many reality shows I was addicted to, like America's Next Top Model or Amazing Race. They had some great writers over there, and the recaps were usually better than the actual shows.

Then I started looking at the forums and became addicted to those. I did bail on the forums for about a year after I received a warning (my second) and a nasty scolding over something completely innocuous. I'm not usually thin-skinned, but I hated the feeling of getting my wrist slapped for a post I gave a lot of thought to. I returned to the forums (after I licked my wounds!) a couple of months before the site closed and was directed here!

I love it here. It really feels like a community. The recaps are excellent, as well.

• Love 5

I love it here. It really feels like a community. The recaps are excellent, as well.

Bingo, Snaporaz!

I did not love TWOP; the few forums I read suffered from the usual forum-based cliqueishness that comes with such things. I came from, in online terms, writing reviews of shows like Millennium and others, and reading the odd forum--UK shows I watched are badly served in this respect. TWOP for Y and R  and occasionally GH I read, but did not enjoy the quality of their forums, by and large.

So I was dubious when TWOP opened up, I didn't have a lot of expectations, but, kudos! It's the first forum that seems healthy, intelligent, and fun!

• Love 4

Before TWoP there was a site called Jump the Shark.  I first linked to it in 1997.  It was an archive of all your favorite old TV shows and used snarky criteria to determine when your favorites jumped the shark.  Baaaaybeeezzzz!  Ted McGinley!  "A Very Special Episode"!etc.  It morphed into TWoP and I got hooked reading about American Idol.  The writing was consistently more entertaining than the show.  At first I went there only for the recaps but expanded to the message boards in the early 2000s.  I was delighted to discover the Y&R community.  It was, and still is, laugh-out-loud hilarious.  (Where are you, my beloved Wits n Sass?  I miss you most of all.)  When TWoP gave us two months notice I felt like my whole soap community world was crashing down.  I came over here a month before the other message board shut down.  I am here several times a day.  I am completely flummoxed by and disdainful of the current regime but I love you guys and I won't quit you.  Tequila and Yuengling Black & Tan are my spirits of choice.  Not that there's anything wrong with vodka.

• Love 4

I saw the name TWoP on another and became curious so I checked it out. Just about died laughing so I stayed. Between Wits 'n Sass and Psych Trip, I was usually in tears. I lurked for eons before I finally screwed up enough courage to post. Always glad I did and moved over here along with everyone else. First place I come every day with my coffee. :D

• Love 4

I was told about twop by a poster friend and i lurked for a long time before i screwed up enough courage to join.  

never regretted it as a different board i used to frequent became just a cesspool i stopped posting at it.

then, when twop ended, i followed the link after a while et voila, here i am.

love this community of snarkers and preverts.

• Love 4

I first happened upon TWoP years ago, when Charmed was still on, and I started off reading those recaps. I think it was a TWoP mod or admin, Demian, who wrote the recaps, and they were so funny because he didn't seem to like the show at all, but he still had to recap them. He used to say funny shit about Holly Marie Combs still being 47 months pregnant :D

So after I stopped watching Charmed, I lost track of TWoP for a while, but then got back into it a few years ago when I started back with Y&R, and of course came here when TWoP folded.

• Love 3

Unlike the rest of you, I never saw TWoP.  I was posting at another board, no doubt the same cesspool referred to above, and we had a poster called Rediculous (Red) who did Canadian recaps daily.  The nasty people in charge decided that one of them should do the Canadian recaps, and told Red to stop.  We all kept urging her to do it anyhow, and I think she got banned.  She just disappeared, and if you posted a question about her, it went missing right away.  I finally got a post to stay up long enough, and another poster gave me the name of the site.  I came here looking for her, found her and a whole lot more, and never left.  The cesspool is a bad memory and I have new home, with great people, great mods, and more fun that I could have imagined.  Thanks to all of you for your fantastic wit and snark - without you and Grey Goose, I would lose my mind.

Edited to say that I never mention the horrible show - that was intentional.

Edited by movinon
  • Love 5

Hey, Preverts, I was thinking this morning about how I ended up here with all of you lovely people,  It all started with Bates Motel.  I was looking for a re-cap after having missed the end of an episode and I stumbled across Clifton Jacobs.  His brilliant re-caps were on TWoP and I found my people.  I was on the forums over then and when they shut down we were directed here.

How did you all find this site, I know many of us are former TWoPpers, so maybe the question should be how did you end up there?

I'm a former TWOPer although I didn't post very much on the site because to me it was kind of confusing on that board. But I loved it and loved reading all the snark on it! I have literally laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face reading some of the awesome posts on that board. I still post at the cess pool that others have been speaking about but not too often as it is a really nasty board and full of "master baiters" that know how to play the game over there. Whew!!! A field full of land mines for sure!!!!. I posted at the old CBS board and the Sony board too. Those were really nasty and a lot of the posters ended up at the Cess Pool and that is why it's such an awful board.. IMHO....I just love this board and all the funny and witty posters.It's my favorite to post on!!!

***Edited to say that I followed a suggestion on the cess pool board about a link that took me to the TWOP site and that is how I found it and then moved over here when the board shut down! And I am  so happy to be here!!!

Unlike the rest of you, I never saw TWoP.  I was posting at another board, no doubt the same cesspool referred to above, and we had a poster called Rediculous (Red) who did Canadian recaps daily.  The nasty people in charge decided that one of them should do the Canadian recaps, and told Red to stop.  We all kept urging her to do it anyhow, and I think she got banned.  She just disappeared, and if you posted a question about her, it went missing right away.  I finally got a post to stay up long enough, and another poster gave me the name of the site.  I came here looking for her, found her and a whole lot more, and never left.  The cesspool is a bad memory and I have new home, with great people, great mods, and more fun that I could have imagined.  Thanks to all of you for your fantastic wit and snark - without you and Grey Goose, I would lose my mind.

Edited to say that I never mention the horrible show - that was intentional.

Movinon I was there when all that happened. The mods on that board have their favorites and they ban accordingly.

Edited by Slowpokey
  • Love 4

What the hell is "spit mascara"?

Came in a red cardboard, then a red plastic flat case, with a solid block of black stuff and a brush. Supposedly, you moistened the balck stuff with water from the tap, but...

• Love 5

yes, i used the same stuff when i first started wearing make-up.  it was the summer when i turned 15.  my whole life changed that year.

later, i also used to wear the white eyeliner above the black eyeliner..carnaby st. you know....

• Love 5

I lucked out that I had thick hair that grew fast - board straight. Auburn but I dyed it black. wore black turtle necks, jumpers, tights and glass frames. I was either post beatnick or pre-goth. Racoon eyes and white lipstick goes without saying.

• Love 5

I was watching silent films on TCM and Lillian Gish had these huge eyes and a tiny mouth and lips. Other actresses, had normal lips or even wide mouths but painted a tiny red mouth in the middle and whited out their lips on the sides. It was almost like kabuki theater. Except the Gish sisters and Mary Pickford really had tiny little lips and great big eyes. Strange how ideas of beauty change. It's wild to watch old movies and even the sexiest screen goddesses don't have huge bosoms. Now, even the most poverty-stricken character has a set of armor piercers. Of course if you watch the old movies from the early 30s. It was stylish for a woman's breasts to be low-slung and bra-less usually in satin dresses... perky was out. So strange. And of course, in the 50's women wore waist cinchers to exaggerate the hour glass figure, (it made them look like they had no internal organs.)

Funny story: when Oprah was making Beloved she had to do a nude scene where she was lying down. The assistant director came over, mystified and actually tried to kneed her breasts to a peak. He was bewildered at why they flattened when she laid down. She realized, the poor guy had never seen a real one. That's the dead giveaway.

Edited by crowswork
  • Love 3

^^^^^That's what my friends and I used to call a "look".  When you saw Marilyn Monroe with her red lipstick and eye liner that was a "look".  We'd watch those movies from the thirties with their bias cut satin and draping furs and say "Ooh, I love that look."

It's interesting that you brought up silent films.  Last night I watched the 1925 version of The Phantom of the Opera.  They may not have had sound, but they did have music.  I swear Andrew Lloyd Webber must have studied that movie, much of the music is like the bones on which he hung the flesh of his score for the musical that is so beloved.

• Love 3

I remember that spit mascara as my mom and older sisters wore it. It's a wonder all the ones that used it are not blinded today from massive eye infections! YUCK!!! I love all the old 30's and 40's movies and their clothes,hair and make up. Even the houses,furniture and cars!! It all just seems more romantic back in those days and it sure was some high glamour going on!!!

• Love 3

Came in a red cardboard, then a red plastic flat case, with a solid block of black stuff and a brush. Supposedly, you moistened the balck stuff with water from the tap, but...

Oh! That's cake mascara. You can still buy that but dear god don't use spit. No, no, no. Distilled water. Y'all should blame Edie Sedgwick for the white lipstick. I don't know if she started it but damn she looked great in it!

Speaking of great (real) breasts in movie history, get a load of Ann Sheridan in The Man Who Came To Dinner. She has some extended screen time in a see-through blouse with no bra. So much nicer than the torpedo tits of the fifties and sixties and the Frankenboobs of today.

• Love 5

I love watching old movies just to drink in the sets,costumes, cars and sumptuous homes.

It's really fascinating when you think of it. You're watching city streets, homes; people from almost 100 years ago now. Think about how fortunate we are. All previous civilizations are remembered only in paintings and books. We can actually watch – sometimes stylized – but still what the world looked like 100 years ago.

Edited by crowswork
  • Love 5

I was trying to explain to a younger person why some of the movies on the classic channels are A movies and some are B movies. It was because back in the day people went to the movies – remember that there was no television – early in the evening. There they saw a newsreel, which was the only way to see what was really going on in the world except for newspapers and photogravure magazines. Then they'd see two movies and A and a B and then may be a short. Like the Three Stooges or any other short comedy usually for 15 minutes. And then of course at the beginning or the end there would be a cartoon. It explains the classic old Warner Bros. cartoons that are rather PG-13. It's because they were made to go with Warner Bros. gangster films with Jimmy Cagney and Humphrey Bogart. Now the Carton Network shows them at 11 o'clock but we grew up on them. My favorite was foghorn Leghorn telling the hen was trying to score with, that her son was a little on the 'festive side' because he didn't like baseball.

• Love 7

I was trying to explain to a younger person why some of the movies on the classic channels are A movies and some are B movies. It was because back in the day people went to the movies – remember that there was no television – early in the evening. There they saw a newsreel, which was the only way to see what was really going on in the world except for newspapers and photogravure magazines. Then they'd see two movies and A and a B and then may be a short. Like the Three Stooges or any other short comedy usually for 15 minutes. And then of course at the beginning or the end there would be a cartoon. It explains the classic old Warner Bros. cartoons that are rather PG-13. It's because they were made to go with Warner Bros. gangster films with Jimmy Cagney and Humphrey Bogart. Now the Carton Network shows them at 11 o'clock but we grew up on them. My favorite was foghorn Leghorn telling the hen was trying to score with, that her son was a little on the 'festive side' because he didn't like baseball.

I have had to teach those exact ideas over and over again to film students!

• Love 3